Forum Settings
Forums

Do you still use MAL's rating system? Does the score of an anime in MAL influence you whether to watch it or not?

New
Sep 7, 2019 8:24 AM

Nov 2007
As asked in the Topic Title. Any opinion on the matter? If so, why?

Unlike in the past, I neither use the rating system nor does I allow it to influence what I am gonna watch next. The system is now completely broken due to MAL's haplessness to counter alternate/bot accounts.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Sep 7, 2019 8:42 AM
Jul 2018
I still use it and I guess it kinda influences me? I only watch anime with 7+ score unless it's an ongoing seasonal just because I hope the anime will get better
Sep 7, 2019 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah mostly the higher rated the more likely I am to watch, but not always
Sep 7, 2019 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
It's not the only criteria I use to select anime but it definitely is one of them. I consider MAL's rankings to not amount to much (#1 is not necessarily better than #50) but the ratings do give me an idea of how satisfying it was to others. Other criteria include the genre, plot, reviews, stand out moments (if any), etc. I like to do my research before selecting a show.
Sep 7, 2019 8:45 AM

Mar 2018
Similar to movie critics and rotten tomatoes - I still look at it but don't trust it too much. Sometimes it is pretty accurate, sometimes it makes me shake my head.
Sep 7, 2019 8:50 AM

Mar 2019
I think the synopsis and reviews are more important, not necessarily the score of the reviews but what they have to say about it.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Sep 7, 2019 8:54 AM

May 2018
No, MyAnimeList score system is garbage.
[/center]
Sep 7, 2019 8:58 AM

May 2014
I never really payed attention to the ratings, so the recent bot thing doesn't have an affect on me. It's still a shame it's happening though.
Sep 7, 2019 9:02 AM

Jun 2019
It's not MAL default rating system fault but i decided to not score anymore. For some reason it diminished my overall enjoyment on anime and i was really struggled to giving something a fair score and whatnot.
Sep 7, 2019 9:06 AM
May 2019
Yes to some degree if something has a bellow 7 rating it usually means that it's bad.
Sep 7, 2019 9:08 AM

Jun 2019
Does the score of an anime in MAL influence you whether to watch it or not?

No. I couldn't care less about its score. I've watched and liked shows that have a miserable mean score of 6- and nonetheless, it was a fun watch.
Sep 7, 2019 9:10 AM

Mar 2018
I usually just read up on the reviews and from them, I decide if I'm going to watch it or not. The scores are all over the place especially after the bot spam that has been happening lately so i take them with a grain of salt.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 7, 2019 9:14 AM

Feb 2018
Score most of the time is something like a personal opinion, there are great animes with such a low score/rating, just because somehow people hate them and underscore them, pay attention to the score isn't always primordial, as a examples of good shows under-rated are: Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019), Fate/Stay night...
Sep 7, 2019 9:23 AM

Jan 2019
I think animes with 6,5+ deserve at least 1 try

Sep 7, 2019 9:25 AM

Jul 2017
I still use the rating system, and to an extent, it does help influence if a show is gonna be enjoyable or not. Like shows that are in the low 6's and below are ones where I usually agree with MAL scores
Sep 7, 2019 9:26 AM

Jul 2012
I use it for myself, but the scores others give to their own experience with one anime doesn't matter to me in the slighest, honestly o-o

Sep 7, 2019 12:56 PM

Oct 2008
Yes I do use MAL's rating system (it is the 1/10 scale after all). But no it doesn't influence me if an anime I have yet to watch is rated low.
Sep 7, 2019 1:01 PM

Jun 2019
I se MAL rating. And I'm mist likely to watch an anime with high score than one with low score, but not always. I think what influences me the most is the synopsis.
(Sorry for bad english)
Sep 7, 2019 1:02 PM
Aug 2015
Granbelm got a 6.32 despite it being one of the best this season so I don't trust it at all (not like I trusted it before either tho)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/39417/Granbelm
Sep 7, 2019 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
I really don't look at ratings, there are a lot of good shows below a 7 that are great. I mostly try to watch one episode and then decide if i will continue or not
Sep 7, 2019 1:07 PM

Jul 2019
I use the rating system as well. I only get influenced to watch certain animes from my friends. Usually, it falls on me what anime I want to watch. I use the show score if the show is < = 6 then I don't watch it. I'm willing to watch a 6.01 but not a 5.99. It sounds ridiculous but I rather watch an anime that at the tip of its tongue has a >6 Fine rating and not below it.

Sep 7, 2019 1:13 PM

Mar 2015
I don't use the rating system myself anymore, but yes sometimes the score affects whether I watch it or not. Though for a different reason than most people. If something has a shit score (like under 5) I'm actually more likely to watch it just to see how bad it really is.
Sep 7, 2019 1:37 PM

Dec 2016
I'd like to say "no" but I know that's not true, since -unless we are talking about a short, a niche obscure ova or a kids' targeted show- the chances of liking something rated 6.99 or below are very low in general. There are exceptions of course, but they are rare.

Sep 7, 2019 2:00 PM

Sep 2016
I use the full scale, but I disagree with MAL's definition of 4/10 & 1/10, and although I generally agree with the other ones, I find that some of them lack weight and aren't distinct enough from one another. The only ones I left as is are 'Good' and 'Bad'. 'Masterpiece' and 'Horrible' are fine, but I still changed them anyway to have a more individualised rating system.

The weighted score of an anime doesn't influence my decision to watch or avoid something. However, I do pay attention to them to see what the consensus is and if it differs greatly compared to my own opinion after having watched the show, I won't hesitate to call it overrated or underrated.
Apoc_RevolutionSep 7, 2019 2:14 PM

Sep 8, 2019 6:46 AM
Jan 2019
I do my research before watching a show I'm interested in, so I look at it but it's not a deciding factor nor do I pay it much attention.
Sep 8, 2019 6:56 AM
Apr 2019
yes if an anime is rated under 7 I won't be watching it. MAL rating is full of bias but user's rating almost show the true nature of an anime series.
Sep 8, 2019 7:12 AM

Sep 2018
I use the rating system, the full scale.

But i dont give a shit about the score of a show or other peoples scores.
Sep 8, 2019 8:06 AM
Jun 2014
Kinda. I tend not to watch stuff with a score lower than 6, but I'll make exceptions if it's something that's been hyped up or if it speaks out to me.
Sep 8, 2019 10:30 AM

Jun 2019
1 -3 = Rather poor to atrocious. I really hope to never have to use these ratings. To the best of my recollection I've only handed out one 3 rating and no 1s or 2s to date. What would make the difference between a 1, 2, and 3 isn't well defined in my mind yet since I haven't encountered an anime where I felt the need for a 1 or 2.

4 = Definitely subpar in many aspects, but probably has a few redeeming features as well even if the bad decisively outweighs the good.

5 and 6 = What motivates these ratings for me could be either one of two things. Either there are aspects I love which elevated it coupled with aspects which I hated that dragged it down, or in cases where it didn't inspire such strong feelings either way and was just kind of "meh". Decent and average to above average, but nothing I'll probably ever want to watch again or read about/think about/watch additional material on/share with others/etc. after it's over.

7 = This was very good in that the initial synopsis which attracted me largely paid off, but there wasn't more of note in it underneath the surface to propel it to the higher ratings, or there may have still been a number of annoying factors that put me off enough to keep it from the 8-10 range.

8 = Great. I only know how to define this in relation to a 7. An 8 is like a 7 that has more features contained within that raise it above the initial promise of its synopsis and less flaws. The good parts are better and the bad parts are less bad, fewer, or non-existent.

9 = Phenomenal in so many respects. An ambitious plot, really emotionally moving, etc., but there are just a few things I'd like to have seen added/omitted/changed in some way that keep it from being a personal favorite. It could be a technical masterpiece that falls just short of hitting a few of the right personal notes for me or it could be a sloppily constructed mess I love, but the flaws do detract a little bit in ways a little tougher to overlook than a 10.

10 = Perfect in my eyes. The flaws don't matter at all in the final picture or even really exist. Also can be called masterpiece. Probably closer to my heart than anything outside of anime. To put it in perspective, only 6 out of 10 of my own top 10 have 10s. Love how it captured my heart and brain.

I use the rating system like this - Everything I watched before joining MAL I rated when I got around to it, either months or years after I initially saw it (because I wasn't here, duh). Everything I've watched since creating an account, I rate the moment after I finish the last episode. I also reserve the right to go back and retroactively alter my ratings later as my perspective changes.

The score doesn't influence me to watch it or not at all honestly. I read reviews and I'll look for what people are saying about it, but what other people might consider a positive point might be something I view negatively or don't care about at all, and the same for negative points/criticisms, so I'll actually look at the substance of what the general opinion is on its strengths and flaws and how it aligns with what I prioritize. Biggest deciding factor is the synopsis though.

Sep 8, 2019 10:37 AM

Oct 2013
Yes, I do use their rating system. No,an animes score has no influence on whether or not I watch it.
Sep 8, 2019 10:42 AM

Apr 2018
I would say that for me it does. on top of picking an anime to watch based on tags, synopsis, and art, i'll usually go for shows with a high 6 and up.
Sep 8, 2019 10:43 AM

Nov 2015
Short_Circut said:
I still use the rating system, and to an extent, it does help influence if a show is gonna be enjoyable or not. Like shows that are in the low 6's and below are ones where I usually agree with MAL scores

Yeah I'm the same way. I basically divide the scale in half: 6-10 is are worth giving a try because I'm pretty likely to enjoy those shows. Whereas 1-5 I'm also likely to agree with those low scores and not enjoy those shows. My tastes aren't so different from the overall majority that I would dislike something highly scored or vice versa.
Sep 8, 2019 10:56 AM

Sep 2017
Why would you ever listen to another person suggestion, if you really interested in something that are the opposite of their point of view.
Sep 8, 2019 10:56 AM

Jun 2019
I use the mal rating as a guide, but don't base my decision on whether or not to watch a show based solely upon the mal rating. We all know that the rating of a show can be manipulated by fanatical fans, particularly employing bots to boost the rating of their favourite show.
Sep 8, 2019 11:02 AM

Dec 2015
Giving a fuck about what some random guys on the internet thinks about a show, no I don't. I watch what I want, I rate it what I want.

I have seen people here on MaL posting that they don't watch a show with a score lower then 8.0 poor fools, is the only thing I can say.

I just wish MaL woud introduce -1 score. Beacuse some shows out there deserve a score lower then 1.

Sep 8, 2019 11:04 AM

Jul 2019
Nah, not really. I don't care about MAL scores and thus I'm not swayed by them.

Reach for the
Stars☆

Sep 8, 2019 10:09 PM

Dec 2017
sometimes yes, sometimes no, really depends on the show in question
Sep 8, 2019 10:16 PM

Nov 2011
shanimebib said:
As asked in the Topic Title. Any opinion on the matter? If so, why?

Unlike in the past, I neither use the rating system nor does I allow it to influence what I am gonna watch next. The system is now completely broken due to MAL's haplessness to counter alternate/bot accounts.

Scores still matter for me, mainly because I don't have enough time to watch every anime in existence, and I don't have things like favorite genre, and synopsis are very rarely dependable. But of course score is not everything, let alone in just one site like MAL. I also read reviews or asking other people opinion (not just consecutive "opinion" like scores, people are scoring differently after all, and MAL rating system still don't accomodate this factor), and of course MAL is not my only source.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 8, 2019 10:18 PM

Apr 2018
Yea. Assuming the show has enough votes:

Anything above a 9 I've seen is almost always exceptionally good. Anything above an 8 is usually solid. Anything below a 7 is almost certainly bad. And anything else is usually subjective.
Sep 8, 2019 11:46 PM
Dec 2018
Nope. i watch Anime If It Seems Interesting to me, I don't care about MAL score.
Sep 8, 2019 11:50 PM

Sep 2014
Use the rating system as in score things myself? Yes, I do.

Use it as in the average score? I don't and never did, and bots/bugs are not the casue for me. It's to me just useless information, even if it weren't manipulated.
Sep 8, 2019 11:54 PM
Jul 2018
The way MAL counts the scores' Average makes the scores unreliable considering the are many bot accounts. They should apply weight system in its scoring or else, it just gets worse as time passes.

No, I don't care about MAL's score. I'll try everything I find interesting and I'll avoid everything I find uninteresting no matter how its score.

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 15 minutes ago

2 by logopolis »»
6 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 9 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

38 by _gt_ohn »»
9 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
9 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.