Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 29, 2019 6:05 AM

Jan 2015
So uninteresting episode. Next episode the well-known Asuka.
Apr 22, 2019 8:54 AM

May 2016
Misato was really awesome in this episode. She was sassy, stylish, and bad-ass! Stopping that Jet Alone prototyype gone rogue by getting right inside of it despite the risk of being in the heart of a potential nuclear meltdown and stopping it from exploding by pushing the cooling rods back was very tense. I hope that the radioactive activity doesn't give her any side effects.

I'm probably just as naive as Shinji because I actually didn't realize that silver lining to her carefree onee-san attitude at home until they pointed it out. Aww ♥

Asuka's gonna debut on the next episode, oh my.

May 16, 2019 8:42 AM
Apr 2016
Well, that was really really close, she almost died...good that she survived, somehow.
Jul 5, 2019 1:32 AM

Jul 2009
Good episode! I already have a feeling Ritsuko had a hand with JA's malfunction. Especially the way she smirk when she was burning that document O__O

Misato saves the day! Despite her sloppiness and acting like a child. When it comes to real life danger. She knows how to prepare and be serious about the situation.

I'll always prefer her easy side of things :)

Also, they really animated Misato "well" in this episode :D

Asuka is next!
Jul 23, 2019 1:01 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This episode always get bad press, as the one filler episode in the series. I disagree, I think it's a great vehicle for showing how awesome Misato Katsuragi really is. Caring, brave, sassy, determined...all in one. It also portrays how ruthless NERV is and how they will stop at nothing to get what they want.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 5, 2019 6:07 AM

Oct 2012
Huh so who's the one set it up?
Are they really going to leave it as it is?
"Signature removed"
Oct 29, 2019 9:25 PM

Sep 2011
So Nerv was sabotaging their rivals? Maybe they are doing this with good intentions, since they need a bigger budget and know they are the only hope for the humanity.

Misato is a incredible character, my favorite in the series.
Dec 13, 2019 5:10 AM
Sep 2016
"There is absolutely no danger."
Taxi for one, please.

"Observe from that window, knowing that you are completely safe."
Now. Right now.
Jul 11, 2020 3:53 PM

Dec 2010
Misato is just as cool as the public opinion about her. I love the conspiracy buildup too. I'm surprised at this show's ability to contain important pieces of character and plot development in a single episode - you would think that the purpose of our current day's single-cour approach is to give us only the important bits without padding or filler episodes, but old shows instead manage to prove something I've been thinking for a long time - what is actually being cut in the production of most modern shows is actually character development.

P.s. Nice to see that NERV didn't really plan to blow a nuclear weapon in a populated region.

Ston3_FreeN7 said:
It really strikes me how different Misato is from everyone else, I love how she says that she would rather try to stop Jet Alone instead of regretting it later. Some words of wisdom Shinji would do well to listen to.
Foreshadowing future episodes/End of Evangelion or just something you thought during your first watch?
Jul 12, 2020 12:58 PM

Feb 2020
i love misato!!!!!!!!

and now the darker nature of nerv is coming in, obviously there has to be something shady going on under the surface so let's see what happens for here on out

love this show :)
Aug 12, 2020 3:48 PM

Jun 2009
Meritas said:
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
It really strikes me how different Misato is from everyone else, I love how she says that she would rather try to stop Jet Alone instead of regretting it later. Some words of wisdom Shinji would do well to listen to.
Foreshadowing future episodes/End of Evangelion or just something you thought during your first watch?

Maybe, but I posted that so long ago I have no idea what I intended back then.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 1, 2020 9:31 PM

Jan 2019
Based on the planned "miracle", it seems that Misato is below ranking of the blonde lady, meaning she is kept out of the loop for some things related to NERV. Shinji's dad wanted to prove a point that NERV's stuff is better than the other world's tech by altering the program to cause a disruption in the robot until Unit 01 was forced to deploy and once Shinji stops it from running they restore it so it looks favorable to NERV. so the whole thing was a plot to prove NERV's worth. interesting tactics by shinji's father and also shows his personality. I am suspicious of the blonde lady. This episode highlights that many more deeper and darker things are lurking within NERV that we don't know about yet. I also wanna know more about the second impact and the secrets. ooooh conspiracies, i love it

I love the growing familial relationship between shinji and misato and his friendship w those 2 guys.

Next ep: Asuka! I'm excited for that.
candies:

Sep 27, 2020 2:23 AM

Apr 2020
Lol, that robot operation went down hill. Atleast that guy accepted his mistakes.

I think the singer of the ending changed or something, not sure.
--AbiSa--
Oct 8, 2020 5:33 AM

Aug 2018
Misato was pretty much the star of the episode, its great when other characters get their own times to shine
Oct 29, 2020 3:51 AM

Dec 2012
Gendo.
Shinji and Pen Pen synchronized eating.
Misato.
Toji and Kensuke trying to take a peek. lol
Dem legs. Misato in that outfit.
The Angel caused Second Impact.
Third Impact?
lol at Pen Pen.
Ritsuko going at it with him.
Dat robot.
Walked right through.
lol at dudes avoiding responsibility.
Misato nipple.
Kibou.
Shinji.
lol at JA power walking.
Error?
Misato did it.
Dat ending.

Misato nipples were on point during that changing scene. Love how Ritsuko was going at it with Houchu Ohtsuka. Perfect casting this episode.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 7, 2020 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
Misato-san earned all my respect! I love her!

Editing: Hey, re-watching this series has been an amazing experience than the first-time watching! That are many subtle stuff that I didn't perceive at first...
removed-userNov 29, 2020 7:24 PM
Jan 1, 2021 8:01 PM

Aug 2019
what an episode, lots of changing of pace. One minute its a pretty chilled breakfast scene, with some SOL elements, no killer aliens or robots, the next however is a fucking nuclear bomb defusal scene. That whole scene was pretty intense in itself, a walking nuclear bomb with no stop button is something. Interested in what Misato ultimately did to stop the thing after the command code didn't work, did she force the cooling rods herself to fix the problem?

Seems like someone did try sabotage JB unit, which is kinda extreme because at the end of the day, even if it was a competing company, they are all trying to save the human race from you know, dying out.
Mar 19, 2021 12:44 PM

Jun 2020
Hmmm the JA people are up to something

Asuka seems like a vibrant personality. Excited to see her next ep
Mar 19, 2021 5:07 PM

Jul 2020
i really love Misato's childish side uwu
Mar 25, 2021 2:32 PM

Jun 2016
The more I watch this, the more classic X-COM vibes I get. Just in this episode we got discourse on:

• Regular global funding via nations choosing to opt in or out
  • Globally-sourced personnel
  • Scattered cooperating underground bases that occasionally get raided
  • Stupidly expensive equipment that is often made in-base and will likely get destroyed
  • Debates on whether to send human soldiers or robotic drones
  • "Those darn meatbags will just go berserk anyways!"
  • Sending human soldiers wins out because they don't tend to explode when they die

I wonder if Anno was playing some before planning this anime out...
May 2, 2021 9:56 AM

Apr 2021
This do be a sabotage moment
May 8, 2021 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
That very last line was killer.
"She lets you see a side of her that she won't show anyone else. That means she's your family."

Given the context of Shinji's presumable longing for a family, that hits hard. Way to take a comedic recurring gag in the episode and make it something tear-jerking and meaningful (;
May 8, 2021 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
Oy, what's black, white, and reAd all over...
May 30, 2021 7:50 AM

Jul 2019
Misato real MVP this episode. I quite liked her representation.

Synchronized eating ftw, as far as synchronized morning routine.

I'm looking forward to Asuka eps tho. Is it time for a new tsundere to hate?
Jun 8, 2021 11:24 PM

Apr 2020
Just why does every new mecha have to malfunction all the time lmao
DefeatingMeJun 8, 2021 11:51 PM
Nov 4, 2021 12:38 AM

Aug 2020
Moonfrost said:
It was a good episode. I loved how they shoved me all these informations all at once. So basically NERV is being funded by the United Nations, the Antartica explosion is caused by the first Angel that appeared, the preparation of the next Evangelion is being processed, some organization was trying to copy NERV but failed to do so, and Misato is a one hot badass woman. Okay I think I'm still following the story.

I basically fell in love with Misato. Those two friends of Shinji were right. Misato is just showing the side she doesn't want others to see/true side to Shinji. I'm glad Misato treats Shinji as a family member.

Yeah, pretty much sums this episode. Thank.

Still don't know what to expect from this series.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 23, 2021 9:05 AM
Nov 2020
another great episode.
Dec 14, 2021 10:23 PM

May 2019
Oooh more NERV propaganda. So much disinformation to the public, still relevant to today.

Okay other peeps are trying to make their own Evas but without pilots because NERV's info is getting leaked. So much bureaucracy trying to get the password. Meanwhile, someone totally hacked the thing.

Misato's epic, so epic.
I love how the women in this show are fearless, like Misato in this and Rei in general. Also, they save everyone's butts.

Awww, a little family.
Jan 2, 2022 7:52 AM

Jul 2021
I'm glad everything turned out well. I was afraid that something might happen to Misato, but in the end everything worked out.
asdasdsadad
Jan 26, 2022 8:31 AM

Feb 2021
Pretty standard robot gone rouge scenario but wait there's more! So the JA mecha's are actually functional but the head of NERV, Gendo made Ritsuko (I guess?) mess with it to make it seem extremely unstable and dangerous up to the last second where it miraculously shut off thus ending further development with it. This way I guess all the funding goes to NERV only. It doesn't have any competition. Something big is sure going on in the background.

This ep showed quite a bit of Shinji and Misato bonding. I really like their wholesome and funny moments.

Feb 27, 2022 12:34 AM

Oct 2019
very confused—why did the password order not work, and why did misato have to push in the weird tube ass thing to get the robot to shut down

also was that a different opening? i haven't realised until now they use different openings for different episodes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2022 4:29 PM

Jun 2015
"Hope" was the password; I have seen this before but I don't remember from where.
Mar 29, 2022 11:50 PM

Dec 2021
quite an intense scene even when you know the outcome. aida having to remind shinji about misato showing this side to him was kinda sad.
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 1, 2022 1:20 PM

Feb 2012
2022 rewatch

Fortress_MaximusApr 1, 2022 4:18 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 16, 2022 7:12 PM

Oct 2020
This was an exciting episode -- the classic weapon-exhibition goes haywire and the heroes have to save the day
We're starting to see just how sneaky the higher ups at Nerv are-- messing with their rivals' machines to make it seem like Evas are the only viable option

I mean, who knows, maybe, if left un-tampered, the JA would have ended up working out and then Shinji and Rei wouldn't be forced to go through all this constant craziness

Speaking of Shinji though, the ending was sweet with him realizing how he's essentially part of Misato's family. Even her coming to his school in place of his parent to be there for his future-plans meeting was really cute.
Jun 27, 2022 8:01 AM

Dec 2007
so this is what would happen when nuclear reactor would be anyone's hand lol.

like how this episode builded misako character.
Aug 5, 2022 6:12 AM

Jul 2020
Alright, next episode is the appearance of that famous redhead, huh. I'm really pinning my hopes on her. So far the show is pretty good but nothing to like go WOW over
InexplicableAug 5, 2022 6:21 AM
Sep 15, 2022 10:29 PM
Aug 2022
this is my least episode so far. it wasn't bad by any means but i wasn't as captivated by it compared to the previous episodes. though the part where misato was trying to deactivate that other robot i forgot the name of definitely felt quite a bit intense. i mean, considering the kind of show evangelion is, misato dying here wouldn't be out of the question. luckily she didn't though.
Oct 5, 2022 7:12 AM

Jul 2022
I loved her episode so much! 10/10 amazing!
Oct 21, 2022 1:09 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
That end there was kind of touching actually, Shinji's friends telling him that because Misato shows a side of her that she doesn't show anyone else, that she sees him as family.

Loved this episode, especially with Misato being a boss and taking care of the matter of a nuclear reactor running rampant into her own hands. I guess they really showed that guy that evas still remain superior.

Although I still didn't catch their explanation as to why they lost control so easily; is it because having a nuclear reactor interferes with the signals or something? In that case it's not hard to just write in the script that they found a way around that somehow. Like with all this technology, they still have pre-historic-levels of remote control?

It's no real matter though, because again it makes for quite the banger of an episode. Some extra mystery is added to the mix as well, seeing that it seemed like someone planned this whole incident. I guess that explains the remote control issue. It makes no sense why they can't just remotely control all these titan robots, but I guess of course having a human actually inside them gets the audience more excited.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 21, 2022 4:53 AM

Aug 2020
nerv asserted dominance by sabotaging this fake eva clone

asuka debut next!
Dec 6, 2022 6:11 PM
Nov 2016
MISATO SAN CAN I LIVE WITH YOU?
Dec 15, 2022 5:32 AM
Sep 2019
Very intriguing , this anime really does make me think. Breath of fresh air.
Dec 26, 2022 2:30 PM

Jan 2022
Not the best episode in the world if I'm honest. Initial impression of course is that it's a filler episode. Still I like that it dives into the relationship between Misato and Shinji and shows that they're growing closer to each other. Also like how it shows that the people at the top of NERV aren't 100% the good guys too.
-insert NGE meme here-
Dec 30, 2022 3:44 AM
Aug 2019
ASUKA HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 7, 2023 5:46 AM
Oct 2022
It was interesting episode with the unmanned robot failing playing into the idea that there is some inherent property with the teenagers mind or heart that they need for the giant the walking robots. Quite weird, but I guess it makes things fun.
Jan 13, 2023 11:22 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 21, 2023 10:00 AM

Mar 2016
Would've been interesting to see how the JA would be able to perform compared to an EVA had there not been any sabotage. Of course NERV heads aren't 'interested' in how others perform. They need others to fail to ensure the continued funding required for the EVA units.
Curious to earn about 06 and 08 though. Only next episode are we finally going to see Unit 02 and all the thhings I'd seen regarding this series before viewing had only shown 3 mechas - Units 00, 01, and 02. So what actually are 06, 08 and the rest...and is there actually going be someone openly questioning the bio-organic nature of the EVAs since most just bellieve them to be purely mechanical. Got me feeling that the 'power plugs' and internal power units aren't actually designed to power the EVA unit itself, but more to keep the bio-organic components restrained i.e. the power shutdown actually being an emergency lockdown of the EVA unit.

Rather impressive how in touch the 2 classmates fawning over Misato actually are. They gave off the air of thinking she's utterly perfect, but are completely unfazed when Shinji lets out what she's like at home. They knew it was an outward appearance and are more jealous that Shinji actually gets to see her true side where most don't.
Apr 20, 2023 9:14 AM
Mar 2023
Really engaged me into the season and just want to watch more
Apr 29, 2023 12:56 PM

Mar 2022
So this episode was meant to be the worst? What? I really don’t get this assessment of the episode at all. Anyway I thought it was pretty good for what it is. Misato finally got some action there, I mean my god she could’ve got killed in the climax but man she’s such a badass. Plus we got to some more development between Shinji and Misato, I really do think for her over protectiveness of him I really do think she’s such a caring guardian to Shinji, yeah she can wind up with her tendencies to drink beer in the morning and be sloppy as he says but ultimately she is treating him right at the very least. I mean Toji and Kensuke are right to be jealous of her I mean if Misato was my guardian I’d definitely give her the time of day. 

Apparently there’s a bit of intrigue surrounding NERV, seeing as they were the ones that hijacked that rival company’s robot. They must really not want in competition, they are rigging that robot so that it fails and that NERV are the only ones who can save humanity. Jeez what is it with me and the conspiracy theories in the animes I watch? First Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and now Evangelion. The next episode involves Asuka, I’ve heard a lot about her, hot headed, a fan favourite at that. But is she any good? That’s see. 
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
3 hours ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Today, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.