Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 26, 2019 10:40 AM

Dec 2010
I mean are we even watching the same show as those people from what I have read it does not seem like it.
I mean calling the characters watered down or having no personality
OR calling the storyline flat

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 26, 2019 11:14 AM

Nov 2016
Either people who love the OG and are Butthurt that it was revived or People just wanting to troll with people supporting them.

Just ignore them. The Mean Score is still Decently High.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2019 11:17 AM

Jul 2013
People have different opinions. Anyway, the top reviews are evenly split so it's not as worse as you make it out to be and the rating especially is quite high.

This is one of those earlier shoujo mangas so it might not sit well with modern watchers.
Aug 26, 2019 11:20 AM

Dec 2010
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
People have different opinions. Anyway, the top reviews are evenly split so it's not as worse as you make it out to be and the rating especially is quite high.

This is one of those earlier shoujo mangas so it might not sit well with modern watchers.

ah is it I did not notice maybe because I loved Fruits Basket before the new version came out I mean I did see a review call it cheesy and all no idea why.
Aug 26, 2019 11:26 AM

Jul 2013
natsudragneelfan said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

ah is it I did not notice maybe because I loved Fruits Basket before the new version came out I mean I did see a review call it cheesy and all no idea why.

Well shoujo mangas are indeed cheesy most of the time. Not that I think it's a bad thing either since I loved Kaichou wa Maid-sama to death despite being a ball of cheese. Some people can't seem to stomach those stuff even though romance in movies is always pretty cheesy in general lol.
Aug 26, 2019 11:31 AM

Dec 2010
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
natsudragneelfan said:

Well shoujo mangas are indeed cheesy most of the time. Not that I think it's a bad thing either since I loved Kaichou wa Maid-sama to death despite being a ball of cheese. Some people can't seem to stomach those stuff even though romance in movies is always pretty cheesy in general lol.

I love shoujo and I never find romance in that cheesy but I can't watch live action romance movies I tend to prefer romance in animated or written form.
Aug 26, 2019 12:56 PM

Jan 2019
Pretty sure a lot of people giving it bad reviews probably don’t like slice of life shows in general. Heard a lot of people call it boring, but I don’t see it boring compared to other slice of life shows. The beginning does start pretty slow. Pretty sure the next season will be better received with the uptick in drama.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Aug 27, 2019 9:00 AM
Jun 2014
I didn't realise opinions were such a difficult concept to understand. Huh.
Aug 27, 2019 11:00 AM

Dec 2010
kuraharah said:
Because maybe, just maybe, people have opinions? And the right to voice said opinions in the review section? And maybe saying "are we even watching the same show" is not the best way to state your point. Because no, not everyone is obliged to like same things that you like.

Since you do do not seem to understand my meaning I said it seems from those reviews what I watched and they watched are something else.
Aug 27, 2019 11:06 AM

Jan 2013
There's these things called opinions. Everyone has them, and they might not be identical to yours.

What a shock.
Aug 27, 2019 11:08 AM

Dec 2010
CondemneDio said:
There's these things called opinions. Everyone has them, and they might not be identical to yours.

What a shock.

no need to be condescending it was just a question
Aug 27, 2019 11:15 AM

Jan 2013
natsudragneelfan said:
CondemneDio said:

What a shock.

no need to be condescending it was just a question

Apologies.
This is basically a question one can see in the discussions daily, so it's easy to get fed up with them.
Aug 27, 2019 11:57 AM

Jul 2017
just look at the 4th highest rated review atm if that doesn't spell "lol wut" idk what does

but as for actual reasonable reviews, I'd say because it's a SoL rom-com/drama, there are obviously people who are very picky with that kind of stuff so it's bound to get hate from that amongst other things
Aug 28, 2019 12:07 AM
Apr 2019
Because people expect they know everything about stories, so when they recognize patterns that aren't objectively bad in of themselves but have been used poorly in a dozen other stories they've seen, they aren't willing to believe that the same won't happen here. They are wrong, but people these days are also impatient. So if they can't see the results of setup in a narrative immediately, they are going to criticize it on shallow assumptions or abandon it completely.

As for saying the characters are watered down or the story flat, I suspect many a people who watch the first few episodes of Fruits Basket think that Kyo is just an angry tsundere boy, Yuki is just the charming prince opposite him, and Tohru is just the cheerful protagonist who is going to be caught in a drawn out love triangle with these two boys. It'd be hard to convince people otherwise unless you spoiled the plot and character developments completely, because today's media-savvy binge watching consumers are deadset sure that they know all about every character archetype or story trope that ever existed (they probably do) and also that they can recognize which of these a story is made of from the word "go" (they probably cannot) - contrary to popular belief, you have to actually hear/see/read a story in full before you know what the story is.

Of course, you can't begrudge anyone dropping something early on if it simply hasn't appealed to them yet. You can begrudge them writing reviews that lay down a judgement of the entire series based on only their first impressions, though. And if the story has been finished in full for a decade with the dedicated fans to its name who actually do know what it's all about, you can perhaps begrudge them doubly so.

thebond_thecurseAug 28, 2019 12:23 AM
Aug 28, 2019 9:54 AM
May 2018
I didn't rate it because I don't do that with anything and I'm just trying to hang on till this season ends but I definitely won't be watching the second. The main character is pretty annoying. Like, there are some pretty naive or airheaded characters in other anime but she's like the fuckin' budda with how she's okay to be treated like shit while also wanting to satisfy everyone else. That's not a personality. Through the whole show so far she didn't do anything aside from giving some cheesy speech now and then and then everyone who hears her is like "fuck yes" even though most of the time she's just speaking gibberish. It would be even fine if they gave her traits to a side character. There are already a bunch of annoying jackasses in this anime so that wouldn't be out of norm. It's the first time I saw someone give this kind of personality to an mc and the reason why it doesn't happen more often is pretty clear.

The other part that bothers me is how slow it is. At one point someone mentioned that 6 months have passed and I was like "Wait. What?" Nothing happened during all that time. Both of these guys act like they want to wife her up but the author probably justifies them not doing anything by saying that they need to get over their shitty childhoods first. And that would be okay if the story was actually about that but with how it's set up, every episode or every second episode they introduce another zodiac member who shoves all of their past and problems onto the main character whose like "I gotta deal with this." No, you don't. Half of their problems would be solved by figuring out what the fuck is up with Akito but instead they waste even more time by having episodes based on her friends.

If they made the story more focused and made the main character something more besides being a saint then it would be more enjoyable.

Also, me being a guy probably plays a part in it. I've watched male targeted shows which were equally as shitty but wasn't that bothered because at least there were boobs to look forward to. I don't know if shoujo have a similar thing that keeps people watching despite the story being subpar since I don't imagine the quick scenes of the boys' chests as they transform and a cloud of smoke are that.
Aug 28, 2019 11:12 AM
May 2019
Dzentelmen2 said:
I didn't rate it because I don't do that with anything and I'm just trying to hang on till this season ends but I definitely won't be watching the second. The main character is pretty annoying. Like, there are some pretty naive or airheaded characters in other anime but she's like the fuckin' budda with how she's okay to be treated like shit while also wanting to satisfy everyone else. That's not a personality. Through the whole show so far she didn't do anything aside from giving some cheesy speech now and then and then everyone who hears her is like "fuck yes" even though most of the time she's just speaking gibberish. It would be even fine if they gave her traits to a side character. There are already a bunch of annoying jackasses in this anime so that wouldn't be out of norm. It's the first time I saw someone give this kind of personality to an mc and the reason why it doesn't happen more often is pretty clear.

The other part that bothers me is how slow it is. At one point someone mentioned that 6 months have passed and I was like "Wait. What?" Nothing happened during all that time. Both of these guys act like they want to wife her up but the author probably justifies them not doing anything by saying that they need to get over their shitty childhoods first. And that would be okay if the story was actually about that but with how it's set up, every episode or every second episode they introduce another zodiac member who shoves all of their past and problems onto the main character whose like "I gotta deal with this." No, you don't. Half of their problems would be solved by figuring out what the fuck is up with Akito but instead they waste even more time by having episodes based on her friends.

If they made the story more focused and made the main character something more besides being a saint then it would be more enjoyable.

Also, me being a guy probably plays a part in it. I've watched male targeted shows which were equally as shitty but wasn't that bothered because at least there were boobs to look forward to. I don't know if shoujo have a similar thing that keeps people watching despite the story being subpar since I don't imagine the quick scenes of the boys' chests as they transform and a cloud of smoke are that.

It's a shame not to want to keep watching. Because, it may be hard to believe but the first season is only the beginning of the story. Tohru Honda is probably the best-written character of Fruits Basket. She does not serve just to give good morals to the people she meets. Here is a video of a person who only knows the anime of 2019 and yet has understood the character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcA_1cjcxOA
In short, all this to say that the best is yet to come and the episodes "presentation of zodiac members" will be more than a mere memory when they have adapted the other 17 volumes and we will reach the real issues of FB.
Message translated by Google so sorry if it's not very clear sometimes: /
Aug 28, 2019 12:09 PM

Apr 2008
natsudragneelfan said:
I mean are we even watching the same show as those people from what I have read it does not seem like it.

Why just not read this reviews? First review that rated it low and which I read explains why the author does not like Fruits Basket.

There are unrealistic gender expectations (ex: boys must be hyperaggressive, girls must be selfless homemakers). Kyo and Yuki are violent in their own ways—they manhandle Tohru, they forcefully touch her whenever they feel like it, and they express their emotions aggressively or straight up yell at her altogether. Men yelling at and touching women should not be normalized. Tohru is constantly sacrificing her autonomy for this fuck of a family. She always throws herself in physical danger for the Sohmas, her comfort is always dead last on her list of priorities, and she goes on A LOT of monologues about how she smiles through the pain—she is literally a walking TedTalk for the entire Sohma family. It’s not good to teach girls to be a mother figure to everyone—it’s overdone and it’s exhausting.

And well, it is hard to not agree. This story was created 20 years ago and it was definitely not revolutionary for its times like for example Utena and Princess Tutu was.

As someone who read Fruits Basket in the past and likes slice of life anime that focus on characters rather than plot, I can tell you that I am bored by this story now. It is quite visible that is dated and I saw certain things done much better in other shows. For example bullying was much better shown and handled in March comes in like a lion.
Lain666Aug 28, 2019 12:18 PM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Aug 28, 2019 12:36 PM

Jan 2019
Dzentelmen2 said:

Well the beginning is definitely the worst part of the series. The second season will be a lot more focused on plot and drama. Tohru does develop throughout the series and isn’t as much of an airhead later on. Her speeches also die down. So I suggest at least watching a few episodes of the second season and if you still don’t like it then you should drop it.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Aug 28, 2019 12:58 PM

Jul 2017
Lain666 said:
natsudragneelfan said:

Why just not read this reviews? First review that rated it low and which I read explains why the author does not like Fruits Basket.

There are unrealistic gender expectations (ex: boys must be hyperaggressive, girls must be selfless homemakers). Kyo and Yuki are violent in their own ways—they manhandle Tohru, they forcefully touch her whenever they feel like it, and they express their emotions aggressively or straight up yell at her altogether. Men yelling at and touching women should not be normalized. Tohru is constantly sacrificing her autonomy for this fuck of a family. She always throws herself in physical danger for the Sohmas, her comfort is always dead last on her list of priorities, and she goes on A LOT of monologues about how she smiles through the pain—she is literally a walking TedTalk for the entire Sohma family. It’s not good to teach girls to be a mother figure to everyone—it’s overdone and it’s exhausting.

And well, it is hard to not agree. This story was created 20 years ago and it was definitely not revolutionary for its times like for example Utena and Princess Tutu was.

except this is really reaching to find ways to shit on the show.

In what way are gender expectations being placed? You have your softer/gentler females like Honda, and you have your more aggressive ones like Uotani and Kagura. Same thing with males you have your aggressive ones like Kyo yet gentle ones like Momiji. Kyo and Yukki barely if at all "manhandle" Tooru if anything they treat her with probably the most respect (especially Kyo) and the "yelling" directed towards Honda is comedic effect associated with airheaded type characters that is present in almost every show that has those types of characters. Yes she sacrifices a lot for the family, but they also do for her in letting her stay with them and allowing her to keep the knowledge of the zodiac. Her monologues are literally all about how she's gratefull towards her mother and if anything, she's happy to be with the Souma's and co. as they brought her natural happiness in her life, idk what kind of "pain" she really has with that

there are definitely reasons to criticize the show yes, but that just sounds like an angry rant cause the manga killed their family or something

this little rant wasn't directed towards you more so towards the actual review lol
Aug 28, 2019 2:25 PM

Apr 2008
Short_Circut said:
Lain666 said:

In what way are gender expectations being placed? You have your softer/gentler females like Honda, and you have your more aggressive ones like Uotani and Kagura. Same thing with males you have your aggressive ones like Kyo yet gentle ones like Momiji. Kyo and Yukki barely if at all "manhandle" Tooru if anything they treat her with probably the most respect (especially Kyo) and the "yelling" directed towards Honda is comedic effect associated with airheaded type characters that is present in almost every show that has those types of characters. Yes she sacrifices a lot for the family, but they also do for her in letting her stay with them and allowing her to keep the knowledge of the zodiac. Her monologues are literally all about how she's gratefull towards her mother and if anything, she's happy to be with the Souma's and co. as they brought her natural happiness in her life, idk what kind of "pain" she really has with that

there are definitely reasons to criticize the show yes, but that just sounds like an angry rant cause the manga killed their family or something

this little rant wasn't directed towards you more so towards the actual review lol

I think the problem with this anime at its core is if the person watching it can accept the main idea behind the story which is that a teenage girl can cure trauma/help people with serious emotional problems that would otherwise demand a good therapist.

Someone who does not mind naivety in their story, which I admit is not foreign to anime series in general, will see it as a nice heart-warming story.

Someone who cannot take this naive idea that teenage girl can help a good portion of family with serious emotional problems, will see the story as a fake and untrue, because this series is not realistic in its treatment of curing emotional problems. Thus the accusations that Tohru is a walking TedTalk or thinking that Tohru must be suffering from Savior Complex.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Aug 28, 2019 2:51 PM

Jul 2017
Lain666 said:
Short_Circut said:

I think the problem with this anime at its core is if the person watching it can accept the main idea behind the story which is that a teenage girl can cure trauma/help people with serious emotional problems that would otherwise demand a good therapist.

Someone who does not mind naivety in their story, which I admit is not foreign to anime series in general, will see it as a nice heart-warming story.

Someone who cannot take this naive idea that teenage girl can help a good portion of family with serious emotional problems, will see the story as a fake and untrue, because this series is not realistic in its treatment of curing emotional problems. Thus the accusations that Tohru is a walking TedTalk or thinking that Tohru must be suffering from Savior Complex.

That's true I agree, I don't even think it applies to just this one, any anime that deals with serious problems I feel depend on one's perception of it

My biggest gripe with the review really is how it's portraying the Souma-Tooru situation as some weird abuse Stockholm syndrome type of thing when it clearly is far from it (the only "abuse" comes from Akito who wasn't even mentioned).
Aug 28, 2019 9:18 PM
Apr 2019
Lain666 said:

Have you considered that Japan, as a different culture, has different concepts about trauma, emotional issues, and healing as a collective social action, rather than an individual person-to-professional process?

I don't mean to say this to brag, but I do think it's necessary to give myself some credentials to be taken seriously here, as the criticism you have raised against Furuba is one of my biggest pet peeves, both as it relates to the manga itself and broader ideas. I live in Japan, and I study at a university here in the areas of medical anthropological and the sociology of health and illness. I have a full scholarship to do this and I got the full scholarship in part because as an undergrad I wrote a thesis about how these concepts in Japanese culture are expressed in the best-selling manga series "Fruits Basket". Now I study these concepts more related to the real world, rather than represented through popular culture, but the insights are the same.

Saying "Fruits Basket is naive because everyone is healed through their relationships rather than through intensive therapy" is a culturally tone deaf statement.

In addition to this, I must argue that Tohru is not the main source of healing for any of these characters. The characters are healed through relationships with others, of which Tohru is merely one (for some of them, not even all). She sets off a chain reaction of characters opening up to and developing better relationships, because well, she is the protagonist, so she has to have some central/important role. But she is not the sole source of collective social healing for any of these characters, so it's a misnomer to view her as a "savior".
thebond_thecurseAug 28, 2019 9:29 PM
Aug 28, 2019 10:46 PM

Apr 2008
thebond_thecurse said:
Lain666 said:

Have you considered that Japan, as a different culture, has different concepts about trauma, emotional issues, and healing as a collective social action, rather than an individual person-to-professional process?

I don't mean to say this to brag, but I do think it's necessary to give myself some credentials to be taken seriously here, as the criticism you have raised against Furuba is one of my biggest pet peeves, both as it relates to the manga itself and broader ideas. I live in Japan, and I study at a university here in the areas of medical anthropological and the sociology of health and illness. I have a full scholarship to do this and I got the full scholarship in part because as an undergrad I wrote a thesis about how these concepts in Japanese culture are expressed in the best-selling manga series "Fruits Basket". Now I study these concepts more related to the real world, rather than represented through popular culture, but the insights are the same.

Saying "Fruits Basket is naive because everyone is healed through their relationships rather than through intensive therapy" is a culturally tone deaf statement.

In addition to this, I must argue that Tohru is not the main source of healing for any of these characters. The characters are healed through relationships with others, of which Tohru is merely one (for some of them, not even all). She sets off a chain reaction of characters opening up to and developing better relationships, because well, she is the protagonist, so she has to have some central/important role. But she is not the sole source of collective social healing for any of these characters, so it's a misnomer to view her as a "savior".

Yeah, I may not be an expert but I heard that using professional help to get over emotional issues is not popular there, though maybe sometimes to their disadvantage seeing that the suicide rate in Japan is one of the highest in the world.

Social support is good for any person in the world after all, but I can understand that healthy bonds between human beings can be important and may be even doubly so in a society like Japan where it culturally it is very important to be part of the community, etc.

Still, in Fruits Basket you have to see no problem with the fact that this chain reaction is started and a good portion of healing is made by a teenage girl rather than by someone older and with competence in the field. I suppose that reception may have been different if for example Tohru was older and for example was a student of psychology or something.
Aug 29, 2019 12:09 AM
Apr 2019
Lain666 said:
thebond_thecurse said:

Yeah, I may not be an expert but I heard that using professional help to get over emotional issues is not popular there, though maybe sometimes to their disadvantage seeing that the suicide rate in Japan is one of the highest in the world.

Social support is good for any person in the world after all, but I can understand that healthy bonds between human beings can be important and may be even doubly so in a society like Japan where it culturally it is very important to be part of the community, etc.

Still, in Fruits Basket you have to see no problem with the fact that this chain reaction is started and a good portion of healing is made by a teenage girl rather than by someone older and with competence in the field. I suppose that reception may have been different if for example Tohru was older and for example was a student of psychology or something.

You're right, you're not an expert. The reason why the suicide rate is high in Japan is extremely complicated and it is highly culturally insensitive to try to distill it down to or claim it's because they don't "get professional help" using the methods and manner that you deem acceptable and solvable in your own culture.

You've also entirely missed my point if you think Tohru needs "competence in the field" by which you mean "professional Western psychology" in order to be able to help people or set off events that inspired people towards building and cultivating better relationships. You've really missed the point.

I'm not saying that "collective social healing" is something that's important in addition to Western therapeutic methods, I'm saying it's a completely different perspective on trauma and healing than one that people outside Japanese culture might have. So maybe that doesn't make sense to you and maybe in a story it doesn't appeal to you based on your own cultural upbringing and perspective, but that doesn't mean it's "naive" or "a problem". This story was written for a Japanese audience after all, by a Japanese author.
thebond_thecurseAug 29, 2019 12:23 AM
Aug 29, 2019 1:20 PM

Apr 2008
thebond_thecurse said:
Lain666 said:

You're right, you're not an expert. The reason why the suicide rate is high in Japan is extremely complicated and it is highly culturally insensitive to try to distill it down to or claim it's because they don't "get professional help" using the methods and manner that you deem acceptable and solvable in your own culture.

You've also entirely missed my point if you think Tohru needs "competence in the field" by which you mean "professional Western psychology" in order to be able to help people or set off events that inspired people towards building and cultivating better relationships. You've really missed the point.

I'm not saying that "collective social healing" is something that's important in addition to Western therapeutic methods, I'm saying it's a completely different perspective on trauma and healing than one that people outside Japanese culture might have. So maybe that doesn't make sense to you and maybe in a story it doesn't appeal to you based on your own cultural upbringing and perspective, but that doesn't mean it's "naive" or "a problem". This story was written for a Japanese audience after all, by a Japanese author.

Calm down, I was not making a value judgement which method is better and which method is worse nor was I telling that one culture is better than another. Obviously, all countries have their own set of problems. I feel sorry for the people who are in such a turmoil that they commit suicide and just thought that maybe the western approach as you say, if it was more accepted, it could help some of these people. I am not saying it is a better approach. I understand that certain things can be achieved through different ways and who knows, maybe the west may also benefit from embracing the eastern method or from incorporating something from it. Just a wild guess here.

I was talking about what people may find believable in stories. I think that if Tohru was older or had some competence in the field it would seem more believable than having a teenage girl do the job. For example I have not seen anyone having an issue with Tohru's mother helping others.

I can imagine that for example a girl who had some problems like coming from a family where she was taught to put others first before her needs and felt frustrated the her needs are not met or had a contact with someone who had emotional problems may have found the story beautified or maybe even wrong in certain situations. Just like when people were complaining about Kagura beating Kyo and than telling him that she does it, because she loves him is sick. They found situations that do not sit well with them or saw high potential for problems that could be easily fit into the story (savior complex) that were never addressed/touched upon.
Lain666Aug 29, 2019 1:30 PM
Aug 29, 2019 9:42 PM

May 2012
To be honest im watching the remake because i have such strong love for the original run and also read the manga, I absolutely will always love it no matter what those other retarded fans say (ops just opinion). Also its nice that they focused onto more details of the anime based on the manga compared to the first one.

I absolutely cant wait how the 2nd season will be and also waiting for Kyo arc!
also, I wished to see the ending are properly done too. :)
waited so long for this, and as of the latest episode, I am NOT DISAPPOINTED!
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Aug 31, 2019 1:11 AM
May 2016
natsudragneelfan said:

for me it's a very dear anime,I don't think the characters are cheesy and the storyline is flat instead each charecter has a well defined depth and background and the story is really great. I don't understand why people look at art forms and try to look at it very objectively. For me if it leaves me with a pleasant feeling it's all good . Especially with fruits basket ,every week it envelopes my heart in this warm blanket of emotions I feel so happy to be watching this show .
Aug 31, 2019 1:43 AM

Nov 2010
Lain666 said:
natsudragneelfan said:

As someone who read Fruits Basket in the past and likes slice of life anime that focus on characters rather than plot, I can tell you that I am bored by this story now. It is quite visible that is dated and I saw certain things done much better in other shows. For example bullying was much better shown and handled in March comes in like a lion.

There has been quite lot feminist critique for the show, but even as a feminist it does go over my head. Like I haven't seen hyperaggressiviness being promoted for boys at any point, at most it could fit to Kyo but he's like that cause he has issues it's not promoted. And there is women in the show that are aggressive as well as there is men who are not- in fact they are too submissive for their own good.

I agree that there is gender stereotypes with many characters, but there is also characters who defy them like we even have two boys who don't wear men's clothing.

What comes to story, I think Fruits Basket is about abuse- showing how it affects different people, how they cope with it, how they can get past it and get to better place in their life.

Aug 31, 2019 2:16 AM

Jun 2015
''Why are people giving this show bad reviews?''

Well, they are reviews for a reason. You can simply read them and find out by yourself, they include the reasons. Do you want a condensed version of them or simply hearing the same old argument that reviews are ''subjective'' and mean nothing from people that obviously never reads any?

As for myself I watched a couple episodes and it didn't catch me. I am generally a fan of the shoujo romcom genre too, but both the premise and the character interactions were kinda bland and boring, and the artstyle nothing special (not even that shoujo-like, which I generally like).
Aug 31, 2019 4:14 AM
Jan 2012
I think we need to talk about juneboba's rewiew in more detail. There is rewiews and there is blatant hate and not understandins source material due to ideology. Sadly the juneboba's case is the second one.

1. Representation of matriarchy as something bad.

Exuse me where? Just because Kaito's character is a female? it doesn't mean that author thinks and want to show that matriarchy is a bad thing. Just because main antagonist is female that doesn't mean that author hates women. Kaito is just a mentally ill and a deeply disturbed person who happens to be female, not the other way. Not to mention for the most manga kaito was presented as male.

2. Women with mental issues presented as unstable and violent.

They can be. Just like any other unstable person regardless of their gender. Women are not some kinda pure angels who can do no wrong. There is enough share of unstable men in Furuba too.

3. There are unrealistic gender expectations (ex: boys must be hyperaggressive, girls must be selfless homemakers).

Um, have this person actually read manga or just pretends that they did? There is enough share of characters in Furuba that prove this statement wrong

4.Kyo and Yuki are violent in their own ways—they manhandle Tohru, they forcefully touch her whenever they feel like it

WHERE? at this point it looks that the person is projecting something from their mind, because i deadass cannot find any proof to that statement

5. and they express their emotions aggressively or straight up yell at her altogether. Men yelling at and touching women should not be normalized.

Kyo does yell a lot. He is an aggressive character. But nobody normalizes it. Literally everybody shaming him for it.

6. Tohru is constantly sacrificing her autonomy for this fuck of a family. She always throws herself in physical danger for the Sohmas, her comfort is always dead last on her list of priorities

They literally gave her roof over head. What is she supposed to do? Call everybody names as a thanks? She doesn't sacrifices her autonomy, she helps them as a thank you for helping her. Her entire character is a selfless person who thinks of others more than she thinks of herself. What kinda person you need to be to not understand the concept of gratitude.

7. and she goes on A LOT of monologues about how she smiles through the pain—she is literally a walking TedTalk for the entire Sohma family. It’s not good to teach girls to be a mother figure to everyone—it’s overdone and it’s exhausting

yes she does. Why is that wrong tho? She sees somebody in a struggle and she wants them to cheer up. How horrible of her. She should tell them to go die in a ditch if they are so weak probably. Nobody teaches girls anything in here. Or this person thiks girls are some kind of mindless robots that repeat everything they see?

8. Hence, the multiple incest (shudders)
WHUET. Soma's family acepts new people from outside via marrige. i don't even know anymore at this point.

9. All of the themes I’ve mentioned are really dated and doesn’t make for good writing

Ah yes. Frindship, helping people to deal with negative emotions, being gratefull, acsepting who you are with all the goods and bads, staing cheerfull despite misfortune, learning to accept others, learning to take responsibility for yourself and your future and etc. WHAT A DATED CONCEPTS! WHO NEEDS THOSE IN OUR DAY AND AGE!

Apparently this person posted a more full rewiew on their tumblr, here is the link
https://juneboba.tumblr.com/post/185173610519/juneboba-i-gave-the-fruits-basket-reboot-a-try

There is so much to unfold in it, it's almost amazing. Complete misunderstanding of material + inability to read or understand emotions of characters + inability to read the mood of the scenes + a LOT of buzzwords (sexist, misogyny and etc).
I think the funniest is a complaint that "omg why it's such a big deal that they can hug opposite sex. i mean gay sex exist". Oh i dunno. Maybe because straight people exist. And most of the characters are straight (i can't say for everybody of course.) which causes them pain that they can't find a close one.

It's like this person don't understand that this series is about deeply disturbed people who by the end learn that their ways are wrong. And if they weren't like that and were good from the star there would be no story to tell. The entire premise is a damaged self-centered people learn how to be at least a little bit better.

Furuba is far from perfect, it's very slow and bland at start. But hearing that it's sexist-misoginistic-toxic and other buzzwords is one of the most stupid things i ever heard.
Aug 31, 2019 7:04 AM

Aug 2018
"Why are people giving this show bad reviews?" Because they don't like it.
"Why are people giving this show good reviews?" Because they like it.

Fortunately we live in a world where one can think differently than his/her neighbor AND express such opinion publicly.

Now, why does Fruits Basket receive some bad reviews ? I don't know, didn't read 'em. The writers surely had their reasons and if curiosity caughts me, I'll take a look. Otherwise I content myself by enjoying each episode for 21 weeks without wondering if someone hates it somewhere.
Aug 31, 2019 7:24 AM

Jul 2019
i love how the story is more detailed and less comedy now compared to the 2001 edition.
fruits basket is the first anime series (besides pokemon)
i watched and its the anime that made me want to watch more anime.
Aug 31, 2019 7:50 AM

Dec 2010
hexadcml said:
I think we need to talk about juneboba's rewiew in more detail. There is rewiews and there is blatant hate and not understandins source material due to ideology. Sadly the juneboba's case is the second one.

Exuse me where? Just because Kaito's character is a female? it doesn't mean that author thinks and want to show that matriarchy is a bad thing. Just because main antagonist is female that doesn't mean that author hates women. Kaito is just a mentally ill and a deeply disturbed person who happens to be female, not the other way. Not to mention for the most manga kaito was presented as male.

They can be. Just like any other unstable person regardless of their gender. Women are not some kinda pure angels who can do no wrong. There is enough share of unstable men in Furuba too.

3. There are unrealistic gender expectations (ex: boys must be hyperaggressive, girls must be selfless homemakers).

Um, have this person actually read manga or just pretends that they did? There is enough share of characters in Furuba that prove this statement wrong

4.Kyo and Yuki are violent in their own ways—they manhandle Tohru, they forcefully touch her whenever they feel like it

WHERE? at this point it looks that the person is projecting something from their mind, because i deadass cannot find any proof to that statement

5. and they express their emotions aggressively or straight up yell at her altogether. Men yelling at and touching women should not be normalized.

Kyo does yell a lot. He is an aggressive character. But nobody normalizes it. Literally everybody shaming him for it.

6. Tohru is constantly sacrificing her autonomy for this fuck of a family. She always throws herself in physical danger for the Sohmas, her comfort is always dead last on her list of priorities

They literally gave her roof over head. What is she supposed to do? Call everybody names as a thanks? She doesn't sacrifices her autonomy, she helps them as a thank you for helping her. Her entire character is a selfless person who thinks of others more than she thinks of herself. What kinda person you need to be to not understand the concept of gratitude.

7. and she goes on A LOT of monologues about how she smiles through the pain—she is literally a walking TedTalk for the entire Sohma family. It’s not good to teach girls to be a mother figure to everyone—it’s overdone and it’s exhausting

yes she does. Why is that wrong tho? She sees somebody in a struggle and she wants them to cheer up. How horrible of her. She should tell them to go die in a ditch if they are so weak probably. Nobody teaches girls anything in here. Or this person thiks girls are some kind of mindless robots that repeat everything they see?

WHUET. Soma's family acepts new people from outside via marrige. i don't even know anymore at this point.

9. All of the themes I’ve mentioned are really dated and doesn’t make for good writing

Ah yes. Frindship, helping people to deal with negative emotions, being gratefull, acsepting who you are with all the goods and bads, staing cheerfull despite misfortune, learning to accept others, learning to take responsibility for yourself and your future and etc. WHAT A DATED CONCEPTS! WHO NEEDS THOSE IN OUR DAY AND AGE!

Apparently this person posted a more full rewiew on their tumblr, here is the link
https://juneboba.tumblr.com/post/185173610519/juneboba-i-gave-the-fruits-basket-reboot-a-try

There is so much to unfold in it, it's almost amazing. Complete misunderstanding of material + inability to read or understand emotions of characters + inability to read the mood of the scenes + a LOT of buzzwords (sexist, misogyny and etc).
I think the funniest is a complaint that "omg why it's such a big deal that they can hug opposite sex. i mean gay sex exist". Oh i dunno. Maybe because straight people exist. And most of the characters are straight (i can't say for everybody of course.) which causes them pain that they can't find a close one.

It's like this person don't understand that this series is about deeply disturbed people who by the end learn that their ways are wrong. And if they weren't like that and were good from the star there would be no story to tell. The entire premise is a damaged self-centered people learn how to be at least a little bit better.

Furuba is far from perfect, it's very slow and bland at start. But hearing that it's sexist-misoginistic-toxic and other buzzwords is one of the most stupid things i ever heard.

I skimmed that review they obviously did not read it at all and know nothing.
Aug 31, 2019 12:27 PM

Apr 2008
KomaDoll said:
Lain666 said:

There has been quite lot feminist critique for the show, but even as a feminist it does go over my head. Like I haven't seen hyperaggressiviness being promoted for boys at any point, at most it could fit to Kyo but he's like that cause he has issues it's not promoted. And there is women in the show that are aggressive as well as there is men who are not- in fact they are too submissive for their own good.

I agree that there is gender stereotypes with many characters, but there is also characters who defy them like we even have two boys who don't wear men's clothing.

What comes to story, I think Fruits Basket is about abuse- showing how it affects different people, how they cope with it, how they can get past it and get to better place in their life.

I do not completely agree with this review too, but I agree with the gender stereotypes. The women here are interested in cleaning and cooking, which I find meh. On the good side at least women in this story are defined by their relationship with their mother, not just by their relationships with men.
Aug 31, 2019 6:44 PM
Apr 2019
Lain666 said:

I do not completely agree with this review too, but I agree with the gender stereotypes. The women here are interested in cleaning and cooking, which I find meh. On the good side at least women in this story are defined by their relationship with their mother, not just by their relationships with men.

What women? Tohru? Tohru is one woman.
Aug 31, 2019 8:09 PM

Nov 2010
hexadcml said:

AMEN! SO TRUE!

Fruits Basket is the best manga of all time
Aug 31, 2019 10:28 PM

Nov 2014
CondemneDio said:

What a shock.
Joshua_QT said:
I didn't realise opinions were such a difficult concept to understand. Huh.
kuraharah said:
Because maybe, just maybe, people have opinions? And the right to voice said opinions in the review section? And maybe saying "are we even watching the same show" is not the best way to state your point. Because no, not everyone is obliged to like same things that you like.

Yes, people can have opinions, but when their review states things like "they forcefully touch her whenever they feel like it"

"Hence, the multiple incest (shudders)"

"The author introduced many sexist themes—from matriarchy being a bad thing, to women with mental illnesses being irrational and/or violent"

" Everyone has a miserable past but I don't care because its used to manipulate my emotions."

"For example they show how awkward Tohru is when she interacts with any man. As if she's never spoken to men in general. The show uses this joke every episode excessively. At a point it makes you question if Tohru is mentally impaired do to the way she talks to people."

all TOTALLY UNTRUE THINGS LIKE THIS THAT ANYONE WHO'S ACTUALLY SEEN THE SHOW SHOULD KNOW, it should be logical to question the genuineness of their words.
Sep 1, 2019 1:13 AM

Apr 2008
thebond_thecurse said:
Lain666 said:

I was thinking about Tohru and Kagura. The problem I have with the rest is that I do not rememer if they were shown interested in anything and I generally like when heroines are interested in something that does not make it look like their lives revolve around men and relatinships with them, for example:
Glass Mask - the main heroine is interested in acting
Chihayafuru - the main heroine is interested in kurata
Nodame Cantabile - the main heroine is interested in music/anime
Sep 1, 2019 1:16 AM

Nov 2010
Otorez said:

Fortunately we live in a world where one can think differently than his/her neighbor AND express such opinion publicly.

Now, why does Fruits Basket receive some bad reviews ? I don't know, didn't read 'em. The writers surely had their reasons and if curiosity caughts me, I'll take a look. Otherwise I content myself by enjoying each episode for 21 weeks without wondering if someone hates it somewhere.

But review is not about liking or not liking sth, it's pointing out what is good and what is not about something. There is many animes I didn't like- like Bakemonogatari or Gintama. I might score low on my own list since that is about what i like and don't, but review is different thing to me. I don't like it isn't reason enough.
Sep 1, 2019 2:26 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Because it's boring shoujo trash?
Sep 1, 2019 7:03 AM

Aug 2018
KomaDoll said:
Otorez said:

But review is not about liking or not liking sth, it's pointing out what is good and what is not about something. There is many animes I didn't like- like Bakemonogatari or Gintama. I might score low on my own list since that is about what i like and don't, but review is different thing to me. I don't like it isn't reason enough.

This is how I see your representation of a review, according to your words : a review should be mostly neutral & impartial, pointing out what's good & bad, without taking side.

To me, this is fairly impossible to write something like that, because your writing is your mind/thoughts pictured on paper. And you obviously have an opinion & take side on anything. In other words, a point you find good might be good because you consider it is. But perhaps, the same point will be found bad by me ; so in your review you'll point out "this thing X was great" while I'll write "this thing X was bad".

Now then I understand the difference between "writing a review to say I don't like/ I like something" & "writing a review to say which point is bad or good". But in the end, it is very possible to combine both : you like something but agree that one point sucks, or you hate something but agree that one point was really great.

But in the end, you eventually conclude your writing by showing if you like or dislike the show. And in my opinion, this is just the core of a review : expressing how you liked / disliked something with your own perception.
Sep 1, 2019 9:27 AM
Oct 2018
Dzentelmen2 said:

i'll just clarify some stuff for you. Tohru is not buddha. She's a normal human being who's so emotionally unstable that she considers herself the lowest out of everyone.She feels like she does not deserve even basic joys and happiness. She's also suffering from a saviour complex where she feels that it's her responsibility to save everyone. She's deeply flawed and the author knows this and tohru gets good charcter development in the future

And As for the sohmas who've been emotionally abused their whole lives, kind words of support can really do something for them. Speaking gibberish? Maybe it really is gibberish for you but for some people it really hits the nail on the head.

I do agree that the episode by episode introduction of the zodiacs is annoying but that's because it's intentional the staff is doing this on purpose so that season 2 can focus on akito and the trio. The first season is the slowest and weakest out of them all so i can't really blame you for that.

Also Both of the guys act like they want to wife her?? Seriously? You couldn't be more wrong. There's barely any romance right now. None of them think of tohru that way yet. Yes i'm not lying. They care for her but romantic interest hasn't begun yet.

I know at first glance this show may just seem your average shoujo if i hadn't read the manga i would be saying that it's not as good too. But the plot just gets better and better. There are twist and turns and sometimes it also gets really dark. This whole season has just been the beginning the main plot starts from next episode. And it was intentional the mangaka said she didn't want the flow to get interrupted in later seasons so she intentionally added all the introductions in the beginning.

Also if you actually think that boobs make up for shitty story in anime than maybe this show really isn't for you and i'm actually glad you won't be continuing.
fiza_imranSep 1, 2019 9:39 AM
Sep 1, 2019 10:18 AM
Oct 2018
Lain666 said:
thebond_thecurse said:

I was thinking about Tohru and Kagura. The problem I have with the rest is that I do not rememer if they were shown interested in anything and I generally like when heroines are interested in something that does not make it look like their lives revolve around men and relatinships with them, for example:
Glass Mask - the main heroine is interested in acting
Chihayafuru - the main heroine is interested in kurata
Nodame Cantabile - the main heroine is interested in music/anime

Yes i understand that but you have to remember that this is shoujo. All the examples you've given are josei. Also not all females are interested in something specific.
Shoujo usually is about friendships, family and love lifes. That's what young girls can relate too , unlike josei where the story and characters are more mature.
Sep 1, 2019 1:04 PM
Oct 2018
hexadcml said:

Bless you honestly that's exactly what i wanted to say
Sep 1, 2019 1:12 PM
Oct 2018
So the negative reviews are coming from different groups of people

The 'impatient group' people watching the show but are getting tired of it being slow and focusing on other characters instead of the main trio. And honestly i get you all just hang in there i promise it will get better from the next ep.

The 'dude bros' basically dudes who only watch shounen,isekai and ecchi and hate any content that's not aimed for them.

The 'feminazis' who hate tohru because she's not a man hating, ass kicking protagonist. Because if you like chores and are polite to men you're automatically a weak female character.

And finally the people who genuinely don't like the show and have a valid reason for it. Which is perfectly ok
Sep 1, 2019 3:05 PM

Apr 2008
fiza_imran said:

Yes i understand that but you have to remember that this is shoujo. All the examples you've given are josei. Also not all females are interested in something specific.
Shoujo usually is about friendships, family and love lifes. That's what young girls can relate too , unlike josei where the story and characters are more mature.

I think Glass Mask is shoujo.
Anyway, I have also examples of shoujo like Akagami no Shirayuki-hime where the main heroine likes biology. I prefer Yona too with her interest in swordsmanship and archery.

I like the relationships/friendships/family stuff, but the longer manga is, the better if there is more to main characters than these relationships in my opinion.

fiza_imran said:
The 'feminazis' who hate tohru because she's not a man hating, ass kicking protagonist. Because if you like chores and are polite to men you're automatically a weak female character.

Well, for me it Tohru is just an uninteresting character. I do not care much for Tohru to be able to kick asses, though I would most likely find Tohru more interesting if she were interested in martial arts.

I suppose, since I am interested in computer science and study it, I would like her way better, if Tohru were interested in physics or mathematics or something like this and it was well executed, but this is just mine personal preference.
Sep 1, 2019 5:03 PM
Oct 2018
Lain666 said:
fiza_imran said:

I think Glass Mask is shoujo.
Anyway, I have also examples of shoujo like Akagami no Shirayuki-hime where the main heroine likes biology. I prefer Yona too with her interest in swordsmanship and archery.

I like the relationships/friendships/family stuff, but the longer manga is, the better if there is more to main characters than these relationships in my opinion.

fiza_imran said:

Well, for me it Tohru is just an uninteresting character. I do not care much for Tohru to be able to kick asses, though I would most likely find Tohru more interesting if she were interested in martial arts.

I suppose, since I am interested in computer science and study it, I would like her way better, if Tohru were interested in physics or mathematics or something like this and it was well executed, but this is just mine personal preference.

Yeah i get it. i guess she's just a really average girl lol. But she does have some great development in the future. Ik she seems very basic right now but trust me when i say she faces her own demons as well.
Sep 1, 2019 8:43 PM
Apr 2019
Lain666 said:
fiza_imran said:

Maybe Furuba is something most people aren't used to or don't like, but it's a story specifically about relationships. Not even romantic relationships. Honestly, there are romantic relationships in the series but they take a backseat to the others. It's a story about people's emotional development around relationships - particularly around the changing nature of relationships. Tohru, as the protagonist, has her connection to this main theme centered around her dealing with learning how to move on from her relationship with her mother, dealing with loss and grief, and staying connected while also letting go, and forming relationships (again, not necessarily romantic) with new people. The example of death and loss that Tohru deals with is just one representation of the larger theme though, not the theme itself, which is something around the parameters of 'individual people need relationships to sustain them, but relationships (like life) are impermanent, so trying to force them to be otherwise spoils both the individual and relationships involved'.

So when I say that Fruits Basket is about relationships, I don't mean Furuba is just a relationship-driven story. Shojo or dramas in general can be said to be relationship-driven stories, but just because the relationship drives the story doesn't mean it is what it is about in its broad themes. Maybe it's about following dreams, or getting through high school, or bullying and friendship. Fruits Basket is about about relationships - what forms them, what sustains them, what makes them tick, what makes them twist and rot and go bad, what makes them dissolve, what makes them healthy, toxic, worthwhile ... why we need them and what they mean to our identities. So for the purpose of creating that story - the characters' identities that we see are largely their relationships.

But that also isn't limited to Tohru as a female character. None of the characters really have interests outside their relationships that are emphasized within the main plot. Kyo liking martial arts is probably the closest a character gets to having shown a special interest in something in a dedicated way and that again is ultimately tied back to his relationships, namely with his Master/foster father. It's not as though we see a dedicated storyline towards Kyo training or mastering anything in his martial arts abilities. Yuki likes gardening - but again, it's centered around his relationships and emotional development. There's no story centered around it as a skill he develops. In fact, his reason for liking it is just a metaphor for his need to feel like he can provide something to someone in a relationship.

Isuzu likes to draw. Machi is a bigtime Mogeta fan. Kakeru likes sentai. Momiji plays the violin. Uo wants to be a model. Mine loves 'dressing people up'. The adults have jobs - Shigure is a writer, Hatori is a doctor, Ayame runs his shop, Mayu is a teacher and helps out at her parents' bookshop. But these things are small details at best. They are flavor, not substance, to the main story.

And that's fine for me. The main story is the characters' relationships. Tohru is the center of that. She wraps her identity in relationships. I think this is unappealing to many people (maybe especially socialized in hyper individualistic culture American readers) but the message of Furuba isn't bad. It takes Tohru to task for wrapping her identity solely in one relationship - with her mother - to the point that she loses sight and strength of her own needs and desires - which, happens to be the formation of new healthy mutually beneficial relationships. But it doesn't criticize individual identity found in relationships as bad. It criticizes how individual worth gets lost in relationships that are never allowed to change along with the people who are in them. This is what Fruits Basket is about. It can't be about anything else.
thebond_thecurseSep 1, 2019 9:07 PM
Sep 6, 2019 7:47 PM

Feb 2010
fiza_imran said:
hexadcml said:
I think we need to talk about juneboba's rewiew in more detail. There is rewiews and there is blatant hate and not understandins source material due to ideology. Sadly the juneboba's case is the second one....

Bless you honestly that's exactly what i wanted to say

Honestly I feel the same. It's like they disagree with how women are portrayed and literally cannot comprehend the fact that Fruits Basket is honestly just trying to portray themes of RELATIONSHIPS--friendship and family. Do they not like the idea of being thoughtful, kind, selfless, and loving to people around you? Tohru isn't the only one who shares these values of friendship and relationship with others. All the characters deal with their own struggles and encourage and help one another, help one another grow. Even as an example, Momiji has a similar outlook on life and treats others this way and Tohru is encouraged by his story and it gives her strength. A lot of characters impact her as well in different ways. It is a portrayal NOT a representation and it in NO WAY depicts what girls SHOULD BE LIKE. They even go on to personally attack character's personality. It's completely ridiculous

It's a little sad to see them literally picking at any and everything. If Kyo as a character and his behavior appalls them I wonder just how many characters do. I completely agree with you on how this person does not understand this series at all. There's no way.
Sep 10, 2019 11:41 PM

Jan 2017
Just wait for the season to end. The algorithm replaces old reviews with the new ones from users have finished current season. Differing viewpoints exist but then I saw a user calling out Takaya so lol. Anyways any adult who believes in MBTI test is not worthy of our time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

130 by razornamidablood »»
Apr 22, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.