Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Jul 30, 5:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 137
Visual Kei is an amazingly old genre from Japan.., known for their heavy metalicish, also very medolic sounds. Artistic & Adrogenic appearances and well..pretty mysterious when it came to interviews. Am I explaining correct? fill it in yourselves ^^
Anyways, they were overwhelmingly popular back then... comparing to the "overstreamed" kpop now (I'mma hypocrite, kpop became awesome) the Visual Kei bands, were just as famous.

I would like to know from u whether you've heard of Visual Kei and if there are still bands hanging~

Here are a few bands who were one of the best;
Malice Mizer
Versailles
Alice Nine
Moi dix Mois
Girugamesh
Jupiter (ongoing, my favorite ^^)
 
#2
Jul 31, 1:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 31446
It's technically not really a genre because it's not limited to a specific sound. Visual Kei is just a reference to their aesthetics. Unless you only watch music videos and go to live performances how they look is pretty meaningless. A band doesn't have to be Visual kei to have the exact same sound as a band that is Visual Kei.
 
#3
Jul 31, 1:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 461
I blame it all on Gackt that I fell in love with Visual Kei. That man was was preternaturally beautiful and that voice...

Since I just bought two albums, I can safely say that Visual Kei is still alive and kicking but it has mellowed somewhat. Also, many Visual Kei bands have become regular metal or rock bands. Is Vistlip still considered a Visual Kei band. Dunno.

Please support KyoAni!
 
#4
Jul 31, 3:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 2816
Vkei still part of their essential subculture and it still live as we speak today but its already fade away from mainstream, their peak was at 90s. Not many that can break chart as I remember like the gazzete compare to X, lunasea or malice mizer.
Im recent years it associated more with some thing like this, and airband boyband vkei








la critique de l'intention pure
 
#5
Jul 31, 3:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 31446
Anyway yeah they are still out there.

 
#6
Jul 31, 6:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 882
It's still alive and well, though from what I've seen the older a band gets the more chance that they will grow out of it like Dir En Grey did. Which honestly I am okay with. I was big into VK bands about 10 years ago but now they feel very dime a dozen and spend more time on being flashy than actual good songs. Just my opinion though.
 
#7
Jul 31, 6:54 AM
otaking
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 24867
yes but molsy under the oshare Kei sub genre in the mainstrme unlike in the 1990s when vkei band like buck tick when they were Vkei were selling out the big egg on the regular os were X Japan and Lunacy[ hat Luna sea called for the first three-four years of there active time and Malice mizer had the best singers when they were a d ther elst popluar iv never lock GACKT as vocalist but he very good song writer

]
Oshare Kei is power pop and more focused on look
Classci Veki was based on Punk and Metal in image a lot of the more leftist [ Hardcore]punk and Oi bands if the 1980s would fit into the Visual Kei ideal
Nagoya Kei is the Japanese erlay gen death metal os thye have there visual astsic to

alot fo the early indie labelslik has lot Punk band if you were to see them you would csll them visual Kei Like alchemy records Gozira records and alot of japanese new wave atc of taht would fit visual kei as well




Modified by DateYutaka, Jul 31, 7:06 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
#8
Jul 31, 8:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 134
Let me make this clear. Visual kei isn't a genre it's a style/visual look. It has "Visual" in the name. That couldn't possibly have any remote connection to music don't you think? Secondly, it's not dead. More like it swallowed Japan like a sink hole. Japan used to have much more varied artists in the 80s and 90s. But then Visual Kei exploded in popularity and killed all of that. Now there's barely anything of note coming from that country. (You disagree, sure. It's an opinion. But to me this label acts as an excuse to focus everything on an aesthetic without attempting to produce higher quality music from a better variety of genres.)

On a side note. Malice Mizer are probably one of the least cliched of the Visual Kei artists bunch listed here. I would honestly just call them by their genre which is Neo-Classical Darkwave seeing that is their most prominent sound.
Modified by GatesOfOblivion, Jul 31, 9:06 AM
 
#9
Aug 1, 1:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1167
traed said:
It's technically not really a genre because it's not limited to a specific sound. Visual Kei is just a reference to their aesthetics. Unless you only watch music videos and go to live performances how they look is pretty meaningless. A band doesn't have to be Visual kei to have the exact same sound as a band that is Visual Kei.


At one point in time, it was a genre. It was a mixture of hardcore punk, heavy metal and gothic rock, but that was back in the X, Color, Rosenfeld, Buck-Tick, Auto-Mod etc. days.

Now it's just a catchall term for every Japanese band that wears makeup.
 
Aug 1, 2:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 1801
its alive and doing quite well. There are new bands popping up in the scene like every month.

hit monochrome-heaven.com to know more. its like the official vk scene website.

 
Aug 15, 11:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 430
Dir en Grey was Visual Kei back in the day, but they have since kind of dropped that look but are still making music and growing. I guess their aesthetics are still pretty extreme, but the visual kei look just went of style so I can't imagine anyone's still doing that really. Frankly I think DeG's later stuff has only improved with each album, and it's gotten further and further away from the original sound.







edit: oh I guess I was wrong about it going out of style, I guess I sort of was referring to that 90s-looking visual kei style. But yeah I guess any goth-y band that's heavily costumed with high production values on their music videos is probably considered visual kei.
Modified by Si-Ran, Aug 15, 11:54 AM
 
Aug 15, 11:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 430
karambia said:
Vkei still part of their essential subculture and it still live as we speak today but its already fade away from mainstream, their peak was at 90s. Not many that can break chart as I remember like the gazzete compare to X, lunasea or malice mizer.
Im recent years it associated more with some thing like this, and airband boyband vkei


OMGOMGOMG
THIS IS AWFUL

how is it possible that they're not even good dancers?

haha, dude blinking so much w/ his contacts in, can't even afford to get his teeth fixed yet, this shit is seriously hilarious...so cheesy...unbelieveable...
 
Aug 16, 12:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1167
Visual kei by definition was originally all of the street punks and metalheads glamming themselves up to get noticed by labels in the 80's. Hell, even GISM had a VK period and they're probably the most "hardcore" hardcore punk band ever.
 
Aug 17, 5:57 AM

Online
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 1521
Visual kei is still popular genre in Japan, and is more popular to the younger mens, there are quite fewer and rare visual keis that are all-female bands and/or co-ed visual keis.

Yeah, visual kei sure are pretty good. But the one thing problem is that the never done any songs that are featured in the anime intro, as many and many visual keis members are never signed into the major label (The Gazette is signed with Sony Music Japan, that's the only visual kei i know so far), a large fraction of the visual kei members are signed into indie label and some are not singled within the label and are doing independently.
 
Aug 17, 6:01 AM
otaking
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 24867
no, not the visual kei I grew up with its is like Punk vs Pop Punk in the punk movement most of it is now Oshare Kei

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
Aug 17, 6:02 AM
otaking
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 24867
Vorpality said:
traed said:
It's technically not really a genre because it's not limited to a specific sound. Visual Kei is just a reference to their aesthetics. Unless you only watch music videos and go to live performances how they look is pretty meaningless. A band doesn't have to be Visual kei to have the exact same sound as a band that is Visual Kei.


At one point in time, it was a genre. It was a mixture of hardcore punk, heavy metal and gothic rock, but that was back in the X, Color, Rosenfeld, Buck-Tick, Auto-Mod etc. days.

Now it's just a catchall term for every Japanese band that wears makeup.


100% agree with this its not more pop-punk
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
Aug 18, 3:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1167
hotsushikun said:
Visual kei is still popular genre in Japan, and is more popular to the younger mens, there are quite fewer and rare visual keis that are all-female bands and/or co-ed visual keis.

Yeah, visual kei sure are pretty good. But the one thing problem is that the never done any songs that are featured in the anime intro, as many and many visual keis members are never signed into the major label (The Gazette is signed with Sony Music Japan, that's the only visual kei i know so far), a large fraction of the visual kei members are signed into indie label and some are not singled within the label and are doing independently.


X Japan is on Warner.
Dir En Grey are on Sony, Sony owns Firewall.
Versailles are on Warner.
D'espairsray were on Spinefarm.
Luna Sea are on MCA and Universal.
Dead End were on Victor and Metal Blade.

What the hell are you talking about?
 
Aug 18, 3:48 AM

Online
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 1521
@Vorpality

Some almost of these visual kei is signed with labels that have a strong love for Visual Kei like Starwave Records, B.P. Records and Goimen Records and Zany Zap. These record labels are indie-type groups and have never done any anison songs as a part of a production anime committee.

It would be great if we have more of these indie visual kei doing anime songs for it.

I know Sony Music Japan, Avex, Universal Music Japan, Warner Music Japan, Lantis, NBC Anime Universal, King Records, VAP and the Toy's Factory are the only record labels that are responsible for producing song for anime intro and ending themes, as they are part of an major and mainstream record labels. These indie record labe are not even responsible for producing anime intro/ending songs.
 
Top