Forum Settings
Forums

Why does all Anime fall under heavy-handed cliches?

New
Jul 27, 2019 8:05 AM
Dec 2014
Every single Anime that exists falls under certain cliches, I'd say about 0.1% of the time these cliches work. For instance Steins;Gate, Hunter x Hunter, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Death Note stand out leagues above the rest while also being FILLED with cliches. They each excel in their category to the point people who DON'T enjoy anime can appreciate what they bring to the table.

This is a really important thing, as Anime in itself has a terrible stereotype surrounding it. It's for good reason, most Anime is absolute garbage yet people watch it so they can repeat that garbage for all of eternity. And the main reason is how basic and formulaic every single plot is and how recycled each character is. There is little creativity in the process of creating characters and plots in Anime. When something is a "creative" idea, they're surrounded by stereotypical characters and rehashed ideas to the point the creativity is overshadowed by everything else.

I understand majority of everyone on this website doesn't care about this. But do you see it? And if you do, why do you enjoy cookie-cutter characters and the same ideas over and over? Why do you think that Death Note has never been reinvented in the past 10 years? Why has there been no shounen that could stand even close to Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood or Hunter x Hunter? It's because we're devolving. Most of the best stories in Anime exist in the 2000's or early 2010's. Since then... garbage.
BlindSniperJul 27, 2019 8:11 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 27, 2019 8:19 AM
Mar 2019
I disagree, it's impossible to create something completely original because it will always have been done by someone else. Saying anime is devolving is untrue -- just because prior-mentioned shows pioneered certain current tropes, claiming that literally everything is cliched seems a bit far. It doesn't matter if stereotypes are used in my opinion, as long as they bring a certain amount of originality into the mix -- also remember it's significantly harder to create something completely new because of the current established tropes. Trying something completely new also posses a certain risk that I feel creators wouldn't necessarily take, given that they have no guarantee it'll work out.
Jul 27, 2019 8:22 AM
Dec 2014
SaltyScum said:
I disagree, it's impossible to create something completely original because it will always have been done by someone else. Saying anime is devolving is untrue -- just because prior-mentioned shows pioneered certain current tropes, claiming that literally everything is cliched seems a bit far. It doesn't matter if stereotypes are used in my opinion, as long as they bring a certain amount of originality into the mix -- also remember it's significantly harder to create something completely new because of the current established tropes. Trying something completely new also posses a certain risk that I feel creators wouldn't necessarily take, given that they have no guarantee it'll work out.

You word for word said "being original is risky and therefore creators don't do it" and disagree.

Everything you said prior is meaningless when you agreed with my sentiment. Cliches aren't the only way to write shows... especially when they're a basic as Anime cliches are. Most are something a 6th grader could come up with.

For instance, I'm the only person in my friend circle who will even give Anime a chance. I've had 2 people watch Steins;Gate and Death Note and they loved it(at least Death Note until episode 26). Told them to check out Boku No Hero or other popular shows nowadays. They didn't make it through 2 episodes... As of now, Anime is directed towards only Anime watchers not people who actually enjoy good writing or characters.
BlindSniperJul 27, 2019 8:29 AM
Jul 27, 2019 8:27 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
:/ Not really. They still make fair bit of unique and different Anime with more depth to it.

Just the usual product is simplified fun.

I mean I personally love cliches and stereotypes if they are made the way I like. Whilst at the same time I do enjoy series with more flair to them.

So far from my over 10 years of watching Anime. I think every season has something more "unique". It simply that quantity of Anime has risen over time thus we get a lot of more stuff to go through. But goodies remain. (tho westernized and tryhard ""I'm deep"" series I quite dislike.)
Jul 27, 2019 8:30 AM
Dec 2014
DesolatePsyche said:
:/ Not really. They still make fair bit of unique and different Anime with more depth to it.

I mean I personally love cliches and stereotypes if they are made the way I like. Whilst at the same time I do enjoy series with more flair to them.

So far from my over 10 years of watching Anime. I think every season has something more "unique". It simply that quantity of Anime has risen over time thus we get a lot of more stuff to go through. But goodies remain. (tho westernized and tryhard ""I'm deep"" series I quite dislike.)

Could you name two Animes in the last 5 years that are unique in terms of characters without me naming off 5 others with the same exact characters/tropes?

If so, thread is done.

Cause I can name off 100+ movies that are in the past 5 years. Anime is behind.
BlindSniperJul 27, 2019 8:44 AM
Jul 27, 2019 8:32 AM

Feb 2013
i only watch original non-cliche anime like Sushi Police and Bananya
Jul 27, 2019 8:32 AM
Dec 2014
Mythologically said:
I've never understood why someone would equate "creative" to "good" and "generic" to "bad".

Could you read my post and find where I said "creativity" equates to good and "generic" equates to bad. My second sentence states the complete opposite.
Jul 27, 2019 8:33 AM

Jul 2019
BlindSniper said:
DesolatePsyche said:

Could you name two Animes that are unique in terms of characters without me naming off 5 others with the same exact characters/tropes?

If so, thread is done.
Ravi Shastri
Ravindera Jadeja
Yo Yo Honey Singh
Johncena
Undertaker.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Jul 27, 2019 8:34 AM
Dec 2014
romagia said:

Second sentence... might just hotkey it until I find someone with a brain to reply too.
Jul 27, 2019 8:35 AM
Dec 2014
puneetsingh said:
BlindSniper said:

Could you name two Animes that are unique in terms of characters without me naming off 5 others with the same exact characters/tropes?

If so, thread is done.
Ravi Shastri
Ravindera Jadeja
Yo Yo Honey Singh
Johncena
Undertaker.

Troll in another thread since all you've done is prove my point. Can't you be okay with pooping in the streets rather than my thread? ;)
Jul 27, 2019 8:38 AM
Dec 2014
Mythologically said:
BlindSniper said:

Could you read my post and find where I said "creativity" equates to good and "generic" equates to bad. My second sentence states the complete opposite.

BlindSniper said:
most Anime is absolute garbage yet people watch it so they can repeat that garbage for all of eternity. And the main reason is how basic and formulaic every single plot is and how recycled each character is. There is little creativity in the process of creating characters and plots in Anime. When something is a "creative" idea, they're surrounded by stereotypical characters and rehashed ideas to the point the creativity is overshadowed by everything else.

If this doesn't imply that generic shows are bad and creativity is good, then I'm the Pope.

For instance Steins;Gate, Hunter x Hunter, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Death Note stand out leagues above the rest while also being FILLED with cliches. They each excel in their category to the point people who DON'T enjoy anime can appreciate what they bring to the table.

Don't forget the first paragraph where I stress focus on characters that are stereotypical but done properly... but I guess that doesn't mean anything when you can use my more vague one when it was supposed to be a contrast to the one above. Considering I said these tropes/cliches can work if done properly... but hey, reading comprehension isn't a strong suit here.
Jul 27, 2019 8:38 AM

Feb 2013
BlindSniper said:
romagia said:

Second sentence... might just hotkey it until I find someone with a brain to reply too.
maybe you would enjoy more esoteric works that require high iq like Inferno Cop or Pikotarou no Lullaby
Jul 27, 2019 8:41 AM
Dec 2014
romagia said:
BlindSniper said:

maybe you would enjoy more esoteric works that require high iq like Inferno Cop or Pikotarou no Lullaby

When given input on why Anime is shit, make sure to say "u2smart why u no enjoy R+ animes targeted for 12 year olds" looky dat dees bad animes hehehe im so funny
Jul 27, 2019 8:46 AM
Mar 2019
BlindSniper said:
SaltyScum said:

You word for word said "being original is risky and therefore creators don't do it" and disagree.

Everything you said prior is meaningless when you agreed with my sentiment. Cliches aren't the only way to write shows... especially when they're a basic as Anime cliches are. Most are something a 6th grader could come up with.

For instance, I'm the only person in my friend circle who will even give Anime a chance. I've had 2 people watch Steins;Gate and Death Note and they loved it(at least Death Note until episode 26). Told them to check out Boku No Hero or other popular shows nowadays. They didn't make it through 2 episodes... As of now, Anime is directed towards only Anime watchers not people who actually enjoy good writing or characters.

I get where you're coming from to a degree, but I feel you're also missing my point -- what I'm trying to say is that creating something completely original (or original to the point of satisfaction) is incredibly harder, because it has already pre-established tropes to deal with, whereas the shows you mentioned didn't have that. It doesn't matter what they try as it will always take part in cliches (same issues can be found in media outside anime). This doesn't completely stop creativity, however, except adapts it into new forms.
Jul 27, 2019 8:47 AM
Dec 2014
Mythologically said:
BlindSniper said:

For instance Steins;Gate, Hunter x Hunter, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Death Note stand out leagues above the rest while also being FILLED with cliches. They each excel in their category to the point people who DON'T enjoy anime can appreciate what they bring to the table.

Don't forget the first paragraph where I stress focus on characters that are stereotypical but done properly... but I guess that doesn't mean anything when you can use my more vague one when it was supposed to be a contrast to the one above.

C'mon, you're not that dumb, are you? You literally said that the main reason that most Anime is absolute garbage is how basic and formulaic every single plot is and how recycled each character is. Literally, your words, paraphrased. The implication of your post is the general trend of "generic = bad". The OP basically reads, "generic shows are generally shit, but there are some good generic shows". There being good generic shows in no way breaks the general trend that you have presented us with.

Yes, my words paraphrased. Key word: "most". The implication is "most" anime is shit. My "general trend" is even calculated to a percentage... 99.9% of anime is shit. What exactly are you saying that I haven't and how are you disproving it?

Are you somehow saying because I say "most" anime is shit due to generic tropes/cliches means I think all generic tropes/cliches are shit? Because in my FIRST post I said otherwise. There are ways to make generic shows and expanding on that idea which no show ever does. It makes a "generic" idea into a fluid idea and building off that. Each of the shows did that which I listed.

Fuck me why am I even bothering posting here
Jul 27, 2019 8:52 AM

Jul 2019
SaltyScum said:
BlindSniper said:

I get where you're coming from to a degree, but I feel you're also missing my point -- what I'm trying to say is that creating something completely original (or original to the point of satisfaction) is incredibly harder, because it has already pre-established tropes to deal with, whereas the shows you mentioned didn't have that. It doesn't matter what they try as it will always take part in cliches (same issues can be found in media outside anime). This doesn't completely stop creativity, however, except adapts it into new forms.
You are right, it is called evolving or a new form like Claymore with berserk. Monsters are there but these shows are different, then AOT is compared with claymore but it is way different. I already told the OP that unless authors go beyond their culture, country, religion and make anime on the other ones then anime will have a pretty new set of characters and plot too but it also has a risk because some religions, countries don't allow that much interferences by someone other.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Jul 27, 2019 8:54 AM
May 2019
Yes anime is known for recycling tropes, but as long as the story and character are good I don't mind. As for why it's obvious lazy writing is the answer.
Dec 2014
SaltyScum said:
BlindSniper said:

Of course it's hard, and that's not what Anime is now. Death Note for instance took a lot of intelligence to write, the twists and turns were something that rivaled US cinema. It took you on for a ride and was smartly written with an AMAZING idea. It followed every Anime trope/cliche but EFFORT was put into it. I don't care about the cliches, you're focused on that way too much. Creativity can be found within the cliches, but everything is so basic and formulaic now. There is no new "forms" - take for instance the two biggest animes of this season.

Dr. Stone and How to Find dungeon blah blah... devoid of anything outside of ridiculous "anime" shit.

Feb 2013
BlindSniper said:
romagia said:

When given input on why Anime is shit, make sure to say "u2smart why u no enjoy R+ animes targeted for 12 year olds" looky dat dees bad animes hehehe im so funny
my point being that there is more to anime than the most high rated and memed seasonals; the most original and out-there stuff like Hulaing Babies and Genius Party (or really anything by studio 4c) never reaches the top of the charts, which is all you seem to watch
Jul 27, 2019 8:58 AM
Dec 2014
Mythologically said:
BlindSniper said:

Yes, my words paraphrased. Key word: "most". The implication is "most" anime is shit. My "general trend" is even calculated to a percentage... 99.9% of anime is shit. What exactly are you saying that I haven't and how are you disproving it?

Are you somehow saying because I say "most" anime is shit due to generic tropes/cliches means I think all generic tropes/cliches are shit? Because in my FIRST post I said otherwise.

Fuck me why am I even bothering posting here

Yes, because you are saying that most anime is shit due to generic tropes/cliches, you are saying that generic tropes/cliches make most anime bad. Therefore, you are equating generic to bad, except for the few rare shows that break that trend. I'm so fucking confused lol.

Mythologically said:
I've never understood why someone would equate "creative" to "good" and "generic" to "bad".

BlindSniper said:
"most" anime is shit due to generic tropes/cliches

That's what I don't understand. How do generic tropes/cliches make most anime bad? Most anime is good as fuck.

Generic is 99.9% bad, you don't understand that because you think majority of Anime is good.

This is something that is completely agreed on outside of Anime. If you think generic = good, then don't discuss this with me. You're the person who Anime is catered towards because you shut off your brain and don't give a shit about anything that makes something good. Honestly why did you even reply? LOL

(I enjoy this too, for instance One Punch Man was incredibly fun to watch but absolutely retarded) - but one look at your list of what you enjoy I can see you're young and are entertained by.... anything, tbh.
Jul 27, 2019 9:01 AM
Dec 2014
romagia said:
BlindSniper said:

my point being that there is more to anime than the most high rated and memed seasonals; the most original and out-there stuff like Hulaing Babies and Genius Party (or really anything by studio 4c) never reaches the top of the charts, which is all you seem to watch

As said before, read my first post and understand if before replying to me.

My favorite Anime is Steins;Gate which is one of the most popular Animes out there... it's not "creative" or "out there" - it's just good.

Please just stop replying. Originality does not equate to good, nor does generic = bad. If all you can assume from my posts is that, you don't have the reading comprehension to reply.
Jul 27, 2019 9:01 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
BlindSniper said:
DesolatePsyche said:

Could you name two Animes in the last 5 years that are unique in terms of characters without me naming off 5 others with the same exact characters/tropes?

If so, thread is done.

Violet was all things considering rather inner fight complex character. An awkward character that grew over time and learned to express more over time.
Made in abyss had rather great character variety with lot of mystery to unfold.
Mahoutsukai no Yome , even though main character did share some traits similar to other ANime (but what living creature doesn't remind of another creatuer)
Youjo Senki main char I found also rather intriguing and multi layered.
Koe no Katachi had splendid characters.

Those are first ones I could think of on the spot.

Characters have their traits, as do people. Growth, change and underlying thoughts are parts that make characters "complex/deeper" .. no idea what movies you've been watching.., but most movies I've seen I have considered rather shit. But that's because stereotypical choice of characters in western media are loose characters, useless liars, and conflict bringers. ( but well.. i rather hate western culture.. so I only watch movies that are packed with fantasy .. so I only enjoy them for good cg most of the time. "dramas, romances" etc.. I've yet so see anything I would consider "good" "

But eh.. each to their own. Each looks for something different. And I get my fulfilment off Anime. With variety of simple fun, darker fun, emotional runs, unique oddities and so on..
Jul 27, 2019 9:05 AM
Dec 2014
DesolatePsyche said:
BlindSniper said:

If so, thread is done.

Violet was all things considering rather inner fight complex character. An awkward character that grew over time and learned to express more over time.
Mahoutsukai no Yome , even though main character did share some traits similar to other ANime (but what living creature doesn't remind of another creatuer)

Characters have their traits, as do people. Growth, change and underlying thoughts are parts that make characters "complex/deeper" .. no idea what movies you've been watching.., but most movies I've seen I have considered rather shit. But that's because stereotypical choice of characters in western media are loose characters, useless liars, and conflict bringers. ( but well.. i rather hate western culture.. so I only watch movies that are packed with fantasy .. so I only enjoy them for good cg most of the time. "dramas, romances" etc.. I've yet so see anything I would consider "good" "

But eh.. each to their own. Each looks for something different. And I get my fulfilment off Anime. With variety of simple fun, darker fun, emotional runs, unique oddities and so on..

Koe no Katachi = agree to some extent but that plot couldn't have been anymore formulaic if it tried, loved it regardless

everything other show you listed, completely disagree and I'm not going to go in-depth... I could write an essay on how many similarities they have to other shows apart from "maho whatever" since I didn't watch it. But reading the synopsis I don't know how you don't think that's identical to countless ones... I guess the top reviews of that show say it all for me.
Jul 27, 2019 9:06 AM

Jul 2017
is it me or are mal forums getting stupider and stupider? nha it's alwais been that way I just never realised it earlier..
Jul 27, 2019 9:08 AM
Dec 2014
Mythologically said:
BlindSniper said:

Generic is 99.9% bad, you don't understand that because you think majority of Anime is good.

This is something that is completely agreed on outside of Anime. If you think generic = good, then don't discuss this with me. You're the person who Anime is catered towards because you shut off your brain and don't give a shit about anything that makes something good. Honestly why did you even reply? LOL

(I enjoy this too, for instance One Punch Man was incredibly fun to watch but absolutely retarded) - but one look at your list of what you enjoy I can see you're young and are entertained by.... anything, tbh.

I wish I could make opinionated statements and claim them as fact, but unfortunately, I've received a proper education :(. "If you disagree with my shit opinions, don't talk to me, because... uh.. you're dumb 😎". You're acting like a child. Anyway, didn't know the upper half of 20 was that young. Nice.

My favorite part of this whole thing was when you switched your argument from "I didn't equate generic to bad" to "everyone else thinks generic is bad 😎".

Anyone who puts Goblin Slayer as a 10 doesn't have an opinion worth hearing.

I guess they also can't understand words either and keep assuming things I've never said.

Last reply from me. You can talk to yourself... I'd rather not argue wits with someone unarmed :(
Jul 27, 2019 9:09 AM

Feb 2013
BlindSniper said:
romagia said:

My favorite Anime is Steins;Gate which is one of the most popular Animes out there... it's not "creative" or "out there" - it's just good.

Please just stop replying. Originality does not equate to good, nor does generic = bad. If all you can assume from my posts is that, you don't have the reading comprehension to reply.
you are also pretty bad at reading comprehension as i am generally encouraging you to give a try to less popular works outside of the "23 minute TV" format, as that's where a lot of anime that are not "heavy-handed cliches" are
one Cat Soup later and you'll find out you should have watched more Masaki Yuasa
Jul 27, 2019 9:12 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
BlindSniper said:
DesolatePsyche said:

Koe no Katachi = agree to some extent but that plot couldn't have been anymore formulaic if it tried, loved it regardless

everything other show you listed, completely disagree and I'm not going to go in-depth... I could write an essay on how many similarities they have to other shows apart from "maho whatever" since I didn't watch it. But reading the synopsis I don't know how you don't think that's identical to countless ones... I guess the top reviews of that show say it all for me.

well.. same thing I usually feel about most of western movies.
But eh.. I even see certain traits/paths even in people. Thus the go "pretty much the same" category for me

But well.. as told. each to their own. I have enjoyed countless of Anime over 10 years.. and I'm nowhere close of having issues finding new ones to enjoy.
I still find complexity, simplicity, depth etc.. any trait to an extent I want.

I simply disagreed with thread, because I don't have such an issue. Each has their flair, each has their similar/matching traits. But so does everything in the world. It's simply matter of what you don't mind being similar that would keep your joy high enough. Utter depth/originality doesn't exist . Everything is based on something, or taken ideas from somewhere. After that simply comes touch of "own style" thus we get different "product".

Even though lot of Anime is meant to be rather straightforward fun. I find that there are still plenty of those that want to be more dramatic in deeper manner. But those genres/types are meant to build up on characters. And even those are similar so something else.
Jul 27, 2019 9:13 AM
Dec 2014
romagia said:
BlindSniper said:

you are also pretty bad at reading comprehension as i am generally encouraging you to give a try to less popular works outside of the "23 minute TV" format, as that's where a lot of anime that are not "heavy-handed cliches" are
one Cat Soup later and you'll find out you should have watched more Masaki Yuasa

"less popular" does not mean good either... especially not 30 minute shorts like "cat soup". Seen it, no thanks.
Jul 27, 2019 9:16 AM
Dec 2014
DesolatePsyche said:
BlindSniper said:

But eh.. I even see certain traits/paths even in people. Thus the go "pretty much the same" category for me

But well.. as told. each to their own. I have enjoyed countless of Anime over 10 years.. and I'm nowhere close of having issues finding new ones to enjoy.

I simply disagreed with thread, because I don't have such an issue. Each has their flair, each has their similar/matching traits. But so does everything in the world. It's simply matter of what you don't mind being similar that would keep your joy high enough. Utter depth/originality doesn't exist . Everything is based on something, or taken ideas from somewhere. After that simply comes touch of "own style" thus we get different "product".

Even though lot of Anime is meant to be rather straightforward fun. I find that there are still plenty of those that want to be more dramatic in deeper manner. But those genres/types are meant to build up on characters. And even those are similar so something else.

Could you list 5 of your favorite "western" movies so I can get some kind of relation to what you enjoy... would help a bit more.

Mine:

City of God
Goodfellas
Interstellar
The Pianist
Casino or Memento

Jul 27, 2019 9:20 AM
Mar 2019
Then what exactly makes an anime good. Maybe I do lack the reading comprehension to understand, but if it's not the sole reliance of creativity or exclusion of tropes -- what is it. I just judge it based on the story it provides, the way the characters interact and are developed,etc. But your main gripe seems to be with the fact that shows are formulaic, and yes a majority of them are. But a lot also refine said formulas and use them in new ways. Just because a show uses aspects or tropes that are similar to other anime doesn't make it bad in my opinion, as long as it has its place in the story and works properly (also as I've stated with overabundance already it's impossible not to use them to an extent). Yet the gripe you have with a majority of the shows are that they use them? But then you say that's not the main problem?

(Also anime that I feel is unique and is released more recently (still does use a few tropes, but has originality that far outshines it) is the Monogatari series)
SaltyScumJul 27, 2019 9:34 AM
Jul 27, 2019 9:25 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
BlindSniper said:
DesolatePsyche said:

Could you list 5 of your favorite "western" movies so I can get some kind of relation to what you enjoy... would help a bit more.

Mine:

City of God
Goodfellas
Interstellar
The Pianist
Casino or Memento

I kinda gave up experimenting with western movies. So I moved to more straightforward fun...anyhow some of my favorites
Avengers: infinity war (and lot of other superpower movies), Pirates of Caribbean, John Wick, Harry Potter/fantastic beasts, Hobbit, Scarface, Matrix .. are some random ones I can think of.
mah imdb lists . Like with most of my stuff. Things I might rated high 10 years ago, might be low scored now. But I don't rescore stuff as I can't be bothered.

At some point I were hunting for some live/western Romance movies.. Seen total maybe like 50? Where maybe like 1 was kinda enjoyable whilst others mostly rather disgusting "western styled """""romance"""" " .
But yeah. I'm not the type that hunts for "depth" I appreciate it if done the way I like. But stuff that attempts to be deep, yet it still boring, is still bad in my book.
Jul 27, 2019 9:31 AM
Mar 2016
I hate how anime is defined as series of tropes and cliches. Like anime has to BE something within the boundaries of those tropes; like when someone say ''that's so anime''...like wtf do u mean?

Big eyes=anime
running in op=anime
talking while fighting=anime etc

i don't get that....there are so many shows that do not follow these kind of things so why are these cliches used to define anime. That is why to outsiders anime is like colorful-haired kids fighting each other and fanservice and shit.

ok to your point

The thing is saying ''All' anime are like this is wrong. Just because some popular anime make it seem like all anime are like that doesn't mean all anime are like that. simple.

I mean Rakugo shinjo was a fairly recent anime, what was so ''anime'' about that. What is so ''anime'' about ghibli movies. How about land of lustrous or March comes in like a lion.
Sure there are anime that are cliched but then again there are so many that are not.
Jul 27, 2019 9:35 AM
Dec 2014
TTagain said:
I hate how anime is defined as series of tropes and cliches. Like anime has to BE something within the boundaries of those tropes; like when someone say ''that's so anime''...like wtf do u mean?

Big eyes=anime
running in op=anime
talking while fighting=anime etc

i don't get that....there are so many shows that do not follow these kind of things so why are these cliches used to define anime. That is why to outsiders anime is like colorful-haired kids fighting each other and fanservice and shit.

ok to your point

The thing is saying ''All' anime are like this is wrong. Just because some popular anime make it seem like all anime are like that doesn't mean all anime are like that. simple.

I mean Rakugo shinjo was a fairly recent anime, what was so ''anime'' about that. What is so ''anime'' about ghibli movies. How about land of lustrous or March comes in like a lion.
Sure there are anime that are cliched but then again there are so many that are not.

ghibli movies aren't "anime" cliches - they're masterpieces which is why every single one of them is popular in the western world.

a better example would have been: "monster" - that is anime but nothing like other animes... i can't find others i can say the same about
Jul 27, 2019 9:41 AM
May 2018
There was a time when I was massively absorbing a lot of original, or different experimental titles, like from Studio 4°C...

I admit there were a lot of interesting stuff to see, but there were also a lot of artsy-fartsy examples, that helped me realize I should stick to the more casual anime, with good execution.
Jul 27, 2019 9:41 AM

Oct 2010
I don't understand what are you trying with your OP. You don't appear to be backing up your statements here with an actual will to explore outside the few immediate shows that reach the mainstream, generalize over the tiny fraction of anime you've allegedly watched, and then make some confusing point about how cliches work 0.1% of the time while you not being yourself really harsh in your judgements of anime. To round it off, some talk about how other people swallow garbage that reeks of heavy condescendence if not trollbait.

There is not a good starting point to talk about how harmful tropes are when there isn't even a proper measure to how harmful they are for you. You are just saying they make things garbage and unbearable and yet you don't seem like the type who needs to go very out of his way to find enjoyable anime if your "exceptions" are some of the single most popular and talked about shows in existence.

And yes this is relevant because you are putting a personal input here and we are discussing this personal input, so it's very confusing if it doesn't really look like you are having such a hard time finding stuff you enjoy and like as your OP makes it sound while acting somewhat perplexed at how people can keep finding anime good.
Jul 27, 2019 9:46 AM
Dec 2014
jal90 said:
I don't understand what are you trying with your OP. You don't appear to be backing up your statements here with an actual will to explore outside the few immediate shows that reach the mainstream, generalize over the tiny fraction of anime you've allegedly watched, and then make some confusing point about how cliches work 0.1% of the time while you not being yourself really harsh in your judgements of anime. To round it off, some talk about how other people swallow garbage that reeks of heavy condescendence if not trollbait.

There is not a good starting point to talk about how harmful tropes are when there isn't even a proper measure to how harmful they are for you. You are just saying they make things garbage and unbearable and yet you don't seem like the type who needs to go very out of his way to find enjoyable anime if your "exceptions" are some of the single most popular and talked about shows in existence.

And yes this is relevant because you are putting a personal input here and we are discussing this personal input, so it's very confusing if it doesn't really look like you are having such a hard time finding stuff you enjoy and like as your OP makes it sound while acting somewhat perplexed at how people can keep finding anime good.

My examples are the "single most popular and talked about shows" because they're actually good. If others shows were worthy of discussing, they'd be known as well. There isn't any "good animes" that are slept on. Low budget or not... It's not a surprise they're from the 2000's when Anime actually delved past surface level.
BlindSniperJul 27, 2019 9:49 AM
Jul 27, 2019 9:56 AM

Oct 2010
BlindSniper said:
jal90 said:

My examples are the "single most popular and talked about shows" because they're actually good. If others shows were worthy of discussing, they'd be known as well. There isn't any "good animes" that are slept on. It's not a surprise they're from the 2000's when Anime actually delved past surface level.

Uhm, saying that popular stuff is popular because it's good is a cliché in itself, so by your standards this cliché is 99.9% of the times just garbage xD

For that matter, I have seen quite an amount of great anime that are consistently slept on -check my list, really- plus a lot of great anime that just builds more niche appeals than high-octane action/adventure shows. So I don't really think I can empathize with your views on the matter.
Jul 27, 2019 10:00 AM
Dec 2014
jal90 said:
BlindSniper said:

My examples are the "single most popular and talked about shows" because they're actually good. If others shows were worthy of discussing, they'd be known as well. There isn't any "good animes" that are slept on. It's not a surprise they're from the 2000's when Anime actually delved past surface level.

Uhm, saying that popular stuff is popular because it's good is a cliché in itself, so by your standards this cliché is 99.9% of the times just garbage xD

For that matter, I have seen quite an amount of great anime that are consistently slept on -check my list, really- plus a lot of great anime that just builds more niche appeals than high-octane action/adventure shows. So I don't really think I can empathize with your views on the matter.

I'm saying popular stuff that is rated highly is usually good. Hence why they're rated highly.

When I say highly, NOT on MyAnimeList. This site has Steins;Gate 0 at a 8.57 when it's garbage. Check IMDB or another source that isn't filled with 12 year olds and check rating by age. If a 40+ year old can enjoy Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - it's probably good... weird way to find out, but this site sure as hell can't be trusted with accurate ratings.

Sadly only ratings with 10k+ can be critiqued since fanboys spread out over all sites and rate it a 10... like all fan boys do. Which is what sucks the most about Anime and why people don't even like saying they watch Anime.

Stop assuming things and we can have a conversation!
BlindSniperJul 27, 2019 10:08 AM
Jul 27, 2019 10:07 AM

Oct 2010
BlindSniper said:
jal90 said:

I'm saying popular stuff that is rated highly is usually good. Hence why they're rated highly.

When I say highly, NOT on MyAnimeList. This site has Steins;Gate 0 at a 8.57 when it's garbage. Check IMDB or another source that isn't filled with 12 year olds and check rating by age. If a 40+ year old can enjoy Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - it's probably good and not filled with cliches.

In order to have a conversation, you need to properly handle your counterarguments, because these are exactly your words:

"My examples are the "single most popular and talked about shows" because they're actually good. If others shows were worthy of discussing, they'd be known as well."

In your first phrase here, you say: these shows are the most popular because they are good. Therefore fallling straight into the "it's popular because it's good" trope, literally.

In your second phrase, you question that there are worthy shows if they are not known, again conditioning their worth to their popularity. You don't say that every popular show is good, you are just saying that a show can't possibly be good if it is not popular.

So yeah, try again... acting like the victim of constant misunderstandings is a pretty old and nasty tactic to "win" arguments on the internet. Stop doing that and we can have a conversation!
Jul 27, 2019 10:13 AM

Jul 2019
BlindSniper said:
puneetsingh said:
Ravi Shastri
Ravindera Jadeja
Yo Yo Honey Singh
Johncena
Undertaker.

Troll in another thread since all you've done is prove my point. Can't you be okay with pooping in the streets rather than my thread? ;)
Look man , the thing is , there are so many shows made , it is super hard to make an anime totally different, unless, it is based on another things beyond the japanese people usually do or thought of. My first reply was a fun comment because you are not acknowledging that Japan had made many many things about itself so unless authors start looking for other countries, origins, religions etc. then big change is possible otherwise changes are still happening but as you said they aren't that much.
Jul 27, 2019 10:14 AM
Dec 2014
jal90 said:
BlindSniper said:

When I say highly, NOT on MyAnimeList. This site has Steins;Gate 0 at a 8.57 when it's garbage. Check IMDB or another source that isn't filled with 12 year olds and check rating by age. If a 40+ year old can enjoy Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - it's probably good and not filled with cliches.

In order to have a conversation, you need to properly handle your counterarguments, because these are exactly your words:

"My examples are the "single most popular and talked about shows" because they're actually good. If others shows were worthy of discussing, they'd be known as well."

In your first phrase here, you say: these shows are the most popular because they are good. Therefore fallling straight into the "it's popular because it's good" trope, literally.

In your second phrase, you question that there are worthy shows if they are not known, again conditioning their worth to their popularity. You don't say that every popular show is good, you are just saying that a show can't possibly be good if it is not popular.

So yeah, try again... acting like the victim of constant misunderstandings is a pretty old and nasty tactic to "win" arguments on the internet. Stop doing that and we can have a conversation!

1). You don't know what "trope" means since... that makes no sense.

2). I'm stating a fact, a good show has a good following even if it didn't at first. Word spreads if it's good, and it becomes a classic. Example: Steins;Gate - it was slept on when it first came out and wasn't popular AT ALL. Even now Steins;Gate only has 1M members, 3 years ago it had like 400K and it's been out for 7+ years now.

If a show/movie is good, it will be known either then or years in the future. You'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise. If you don't agree with this, don't reply.

P.S - Caroline & Tuesday will be a lot more popular in a few years time if the ending is good. One of the few animes worth watching in the past few years.
BlindSniperJul 27, 2019 10:18 AM
Jul 27, 2019 10:16 AM
Dec 2014
puneetsingh said:
BlindSniper said:

Look man , the thing is , there are so many shows made , it is super hard to make an anime totally different, unless, it is based on another things beyond the japanese people usually do or thought of. My first reply was a fun comment because you are not acknowledging that Japan had made many many things about itself so unless authors start looking for other countries, origins, religions etc. then big change is possible otherwise changes are still happening but as you said they aren't that much.

I didn't reply to you for a reason. No need to post the same shit again.
Jul 27, 2019 10:17 AM

May 2009
Tropes are not inherently bad.

They're only bad when they're not properly justified, either from some in-universe detail or by some other reason in the story design.

Originality has nothing to do with quality.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 27, 2019 10:18 AM

Jun 2015
Well, isn't this another "anime is shit" cliché thread.

Every single Anime that exists falls under certain cliches"
If this is right then you can find clichés in pretty much every western-produced thing as well. Otherwise you haven't tried hard enough.

I'd say about 0.1% of the time these cliches work."
Why not 3% of the time? I'm going to trust your out-of-this-world judgement in this one.

For instance Steins;Gate, Hunter x Hunter, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Death Note stand out leagues above the rest while also being FILLED with cliches".
Is your whole point going to be based in this provided examples?

They each excel in their category to the point people who DON'T enjoy anime can appreciate what they bring to the table."
Who are these people?? So your point here basically is "some popular anime is the best because despite having the clichés I'm constantly calling anime shit for, they are popular enough to reach unlikely audiences and those audiences sometimes like these titles while still shitting on anime because they don't have a clue about what the medium has to offer?" Kind of a weak point if it can even be considered one.

This is a really important thing, as Anime in itself has a terrible stereotype surrounding it. It's for good reason, most Anime is absolute garbage"
I see you're like every other self-deprecating anime watcher out there. Talking generalizations and sounding insecure, but not without calling the taste or preferences of some people posting here shit to make you look better. I mean, it's obvious you're baiting to get some laughs out of the "weebs" (particularly with your replies where you seem to have a hard time reading what people says), but still.
Jul 27, 2019 10:20 AM

Jul 2019
BlindSniper said:
puneetsingh said:

I didn't reply to you for a reason. No need to post the same shit again.
Oye I did agree to you upto some point but you are the one aggressive idiot here, who don't even like fun conversation.
Jul 27, 2019 10:20 AM
Dec 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:

They're only bad when they're not properly justified, either from some in-universe detail or by some other reason in the story design.

Your opinion gives a pass for 99.9% of anime in using "tropes" and for that I disagree.
Jul 27, 2019 10:34 AM

May 2009
BlindSniper said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Your opinion gives a pass for 99.9% of anime in using "tropes" and for that I disagree.
So what is so bad about these tropes?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 27, 2019 10:36 AM

Aug 2018
BlindSniper said:

I understand majority of everyone on this website doesn't care about this. But do you see it? And if you do, why do you enjoy cookie-cutter characters and the same ideas over and over?

Because cliches rarely are all that there is to a show, and even then, I don't understand how cliches are inherently bad. I'm a slice-of-life fan, and I see frequently how different a scene in which four characters eat snacks can be. All those characters might be the same at the base, the pure and calm girl, the genki, the mom. The characters have different stories, different jokes, the soundtrack is new and so is the environment, and it's incredible how much more I'll like something if the trees are neat. Those little differences are enough for me. I don't need to have my mind blown or to feel the need to stand at the edge of my seat to enjoy something, and it's the same for most anime fans and humanity in general. That's not a flaw and doesn't mean we're dumb and lack a critical sense, which you seem to be implying. Why would it?

You mentioned you watched Steins;Gate a few times, which means you're not bothered by seeing the same thing again. It can't be hard to understand why people don't mind cliches then?

But if your issue is mostly the cliches exclusive to anime, then it might just be a matter of taste, though there are things in this medium that are common that bothers me very much (*cough*serialharassmentasajoke*cough*).
Jul 27, 2019 10:44 AM

Mar 2012
I don't know why people like sturgeon's law so much.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 27, 2019 10:46 AM

Oct 2010
BlindSniper said:
jal90 said:

1). You don't know what "trope" means since... that makes no sense.

2). I'm stating a fact, a good show has a good following even if it didn't at first. Word spreads if it's good, and it becomes a classic. Example: Steins;Gate - it was slept on when it first came out and wasn't popular AT ALL. Even now Steins;Gate only has 1M members, 3 years ago it had like 400K and it's been out for 7+ years now.

If a show/movie is good, it will be known either then or years in the future. You'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise. If you don't agree with this, don't reply.

1.) Usually meant to refer to a reiterative element in writing fiction, I'm using it to refer to a shallow statement/argument that I've heard way too many times.

2.) You are not stating any fact here. You are just running in circles around your faulty premise. There ARE genres and themes that are not as popular as others. There are styles and formats that just can't or have extra issues to find a wide audience. This is not limited to anime, check how many people have rated Man with a movie camera on IMDb and that's one of the top10 films of all time by critical consensus.

If you can't handle disagreements and discussion, go away from the forums and stop wasting everyone's time. We are not here to praise your word and swallow your premises and assumptions. A blog post might be more right up your alley.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

7 by maya2003s »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

33 by NubFix »»
11 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

16 by verimpa »»
13 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

17 by verimpa »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - Yesterday

42 by Maou_heika »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.