Forum Settings
Forums

Do you know about the shadier parts of Japan?

New
Jul 19, 2019 11:54 PM

Jul 2016
Like the prostitution loophole in the legal code and the adult establishments that flourish from that.

But anything at all. That's an example.
Jul 20, 2019 12:33 AM

Jan 2017
yeah they should have trees in japan i thinj
Jul 20, 2019 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
i have a few japanese friends who were raised up in the slums/ghettos of japan

drugs may not look like a big issue in japan but in these specific places it really should be taken seriously
Jul 20, 2019 12:41 AM

May 2013
There's always a hidden demon underground like in Spirited Away or Kamisama Kiss.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jul 20, 2019 12:48 AM

Jan 2009
i remember the nameless people, not exactly a place though

Do Stressed-Out Japanese Really Stage Elaborate Disappearances? On the Trail of the Johatsu or 'Evaporated People'
https://time.com/4646293/japan-missing-people-johatsu-evaporated/

EDIT:

japenese seriously care about what society or what other people think of them (shame culture)

One story went like this: a man named Norihiro had been fired from his engineering job but was too ashamed to tell his family. Each morning, he put on his shirt and tie, kissed his wife goodbye and drove in the direction of his office. But without a place to go he stewed in his car all day, sometimes staying late to give the impression he was drinking with colleagues. Eventually, with salary no longer forthcoming, Norihiro could not continue the lie: instead he vanished, disappearing to Sanya, a place apparently so secret and shameful it had been scrubbed from Tokyo’s maps. “Taxi drivers avoid venturing into this shady neighborhood,” wrote Mauger. “The only ones who go there, they say, are those excluded from the good life and forgotten by everyone—the nameless.”
degJul 20, 2019 1:08 AM
Jul 20, 2019 1:04 AM

Feb 2016
shadiest place HANDS DOWN
is at a studio that makes lolita hentai
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 20, 2019 2:31 AM

Dec 2016
from what i remember, there are specific streets in tokyo focused on joshi-kausei/school girl culture, which can be pretty shady.

a specific case that comes to mind is the myojo 56 building fire, in tokyo as well; there were indictations as to an illegal gambling den within the building, which was likely linked to the chinese mafia or yakuza. organised crime wasn't proven as being involved in the fire, but the influence of these syndicates would make for some shady areas in japan.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jul 20, 2019 7:54 AM

Nov 2013
I don't know all the details, but there are things like their conviction rate, cp being legal up until recently, junior idols, and overwork and shame culture.

I can see you

Jul 20, 2019 8:20 AM

Jan 2019
when I visited Tokyo, I stayed in a place in Shinjuku that bordered the entrance to Golden Gai... and if you find your way through that maze, Kabukicho will be on the other side of that. and if you walk down that street and you are a foreign male, you'll be bombarded by Nigerian immigrants that help promote the sex clubs there... they all had brochures of prices next to the women I could have had sex with lmao. Though I was tempted, I decided against it for my safety lol. the next morning, walking through Shinjuku, there were public service announcement at the crosswalks that essentially translated to "please be aware of the Nigerian scammers in Kabukicho, they will manipulate you into giving away all your money" lmao
Jul 20, 2019 8:29 AM

Jun 2014
I've heard about the "JK" thing, lol.

Jul 20, 2019 7:48 PM

Mar 2008
The police manipulate crime stats to make it look like they do a better job than they do to put the public in a false sense of security. The police coerce false confessions. Their legal system is pretty screwed up.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222619238_Crime_and_Criminal_Justice_in_Modern_Japan_From_Re-integrative_Shaming_to_Popular_Punitivism
https://www.jstor.org/stable/30209301?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
https://gaijinass.com/2011/01/02/7-brutal-realities-regarding-arrest-in-japan/
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20810572
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-rape-law/outrage-at-acquittals-in-rape-cases-sparks-calls-to-fix-japanese-law-idUSKCN1TA0UP

MasterGlyth said:
I don't know all the details, but there are things like their conviction rate, cp being legal up until recently, junior idols, and overwork and shame culturr

Poor wording. Production was illegal. It was only possession that was legal. I don't know what their law was about distribution but i assume it at least was illegal to sell but even if not production at least partially covered that. So it wasn't fully legal.
Jul 20, 2019 10:49 PM

Jun 2016
noah9999 said:
when I visited Tokyo, I stayed in a place in Shinjuku that bordered the entrance to Golden Gai... and if you find your way through that maze, Kabukicho will be on the other side of that. and if you walk down that street and you are a foreign male, you'll be bombarded by Nigerian immigrants that help promote the sex clubs there... they all had brochures of prices next to the women I could have had sex with lmao. Though I was tempted, I decided against it for my safety lol. the next morning, walking through Shinjuku, there were public service announcement at the crosswalks that essentially translated to "please be aware of the Nigerian scammers in Kabukicho, they will manipulate you into giving away all your money" lmao

This. I walked around Shinjuku at night alone and I was bombarded by offers from prostitutes and the Nigerian dudes. I've never experienced something like that even in America.

Japan isn't as squeaky clean as people think.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Jul 20, 2019 11:45 PM

Dec 2015
IpreferEcchi said:
Like the prostitution loophole in the legal code and the adult establishments that flourish from that.

But anything at all. That's an example.

There's two good books about stuff like this I'd recommend, both by Alex Kerr.
Dogs and Demons and the other one is Afterimage of Beautiful Japan.
Annie_GooAug 1, 2019 5:34 AM

Club for Fighting Game lovers : https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=77600

More topics from this board

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
52 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 9 hours ago

26 by aikaflip »»
1 hour ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

317 by bevarnow »»
1 hour ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by IpreferEcchi »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

40 by aikaflip »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.