Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 16, 2019 5:36 PM

Mar 2015
I believe anyone can into a certain anime, but anime as a whole? Sadly, no. I've tried to get many people into it, but they just don't like it. Well I feel like it's more like they're ignorant of what anime actually is. And I'm pretty bad at getting people into things..
But If you look at anime from their point of view, it's just shounen and whatever's popular.
But there are people who generally have a different preference when it comes to entertainment.

People getting into anime as a whole is rare, and in my opinion, it's more of a chance thing. That someone continues hunting for more and more anime and eventually develops some sort of passion for the medium.
EhtaJul 16, 2019 5:41 PM
woah there
Jul 17, 2019 2:25 AM

Jun 2019
I mean, anime is a medium, not a genre. There's a wide range of genres so I do believe that yes, there's enough there for someone to get into it, even if they're convinced they don't 'like anime'.

Everyone 'gets into' anime. It's just harder for people the older they get, as they typically close their mind off more, or have other interest they're pursueing.

There's a reason so many people get into it through nostalgia.

Jul 17, 2019 8:26 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
My answer is the same as always. Put the individual and what you know of them and their taste in media first - they come before the idea of introducing them to anime. If you know they're really into certain stuff, then use that as the baseline and work from there. Getting people into anime for the sake of getting more people into anime is not a good fucking reason to start tossing out anime recs unless you're a fucking creep about your hobby.

Getting people into anime for the sake of creating more anime fans is just pointless proselytizing. It's the same shit we do in religion to try to create more converts - by putting up flyers around town about movie nights at the church where we watch normal, non-religious movies "just for fun" or whatever dumb shit, or going as far as doing volunteer missionary work in third world countries under the guise of humanitarian/charitable functions. It doesn't matter how you dress it or how nice you act about it, if you make anime recs with the primary intent of getting more people into anime, it's just trying to increase your numbers and get more people into the written works you're super fucking into. It's trying to force your hobby onto people and acting any other way about it is putting makeup on a pig.

A bunch of recommendations made to shadowbox with an insider-decided image of what you all imagine the most general, non-anime fan consumer to be is kind of fucking useless too, by the way. Putting aside that you're completely neglecting individuality and differing media tastes amongst all walks of life to work with the most homogenized, generalized image of a normie possible, people are usually just tossing around shit that they just seem to like while being "well it's kind of non-anime because the characters don't look like typical anime characters kind of" at that. Which is the general gist of recommendations that get made in threads like this, and they amount to absolutely nothing fucking more than that 99% of the time. If your goal is just to try to make more people who are like yourself and are aligned with your interests specifically, then get out there and fucking procreate, because then you at least have the excuse of needing to raise the fucking kid. You are that guy who tries to get all of his buddies to attend church with him because he's really religious if you act like this about it. And most people are going to think you're being annoying and weird regardless of what the context is if you act this way about something you're really into and they're not already into themselves.

This is the shit I hate most about the fandom, I swear. Not the prudishness and squeamishness, not the widespread teenager levels of self-consciousness, but the acceptance and outright encouragement of obnoxious and inconsiderate ways to propagate your hobby. Or fucking hell, just the sheer emphasis on "introducing people to anime" and trying to propagate your hobby so heavily in general annoys me, totally independent of how people want to go about it.

Best way to introduce people to the medium is still natural discovery, by the way, if this is a topic of concern for people. None of us have to arse ourselves and the sheer, overwhelming visibility of anime online will pull people in by itself, as it is doing and as it has been doing for years at this point. This way, it can be their decision and they can take an interest in it on their own accord and on their own terms, which is going to be far more effective at making more long-term fans. At that point, they can figure out things on their own and find out stuff they'd be into without some arschgeige breathing down their fucking neck about what they should watch, and they can come join in on the misery pit that is this community and come hate each other with the rest of us in a way that's totally fucking normal and self-determined.
ManabanJul 17, 2019 8:59 PM

Jul 18, 2019 1:24 AM

Oct 2018
I think most people can. And let me heavily emphasize MOST.
I do think some people just don't understand anime, and even with an open mind, won't be able to enjoy it. It's up to personal preference really.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Jul 18, 2019 1:29 AM

Aug 2018
Death note is the anime which doesn't even need to know about anime to be watched.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 18, 2019 1:31 AM

May 2014
I don't think anyone can get into anime. I imagine there's people who will be dismissive of animation no matter what and won't even give it a chance.
Jul 18, 2019 1:59 AM

May 2018
Man, it's so drippy weebish it hurts. There are lots of types of art to entertain: cartoons, music, paintings, theater, cinema, books etc. Why do you think anime should be something exceptional and undeniable?
I honestly can't get the point of your post, it looks more like a pointless tribute from a rapturous fanboy

Jul 18, 2019 2:27 AM

Jul 2019
I don't see why not there are anime for everyone.

Never explain,
Never retract,
Never apologize
Just get the thing done
And let them howl
Jul 18, 2019 3:25 PM

Oct 2012
Manaban said:
A bunch of recommendations made to shadowbox with an insider-decided image of what you all imagine the most general, non-anime fan consumer to be is kind of fucking useless too, by the way. Putting aside that you're completely neglecting individuality and differing media tastes amongst all walks of life to work with the most homogenized, generalized image of a normie possible, people are usually just tossing around shit that they just seem to like while being "well it's kind of non-anime because the characters don't look like typical anime characters kind of" at that. Which is the general gist of recommendations that get made in threads like this, and they amount to absolutely nothing fucking more than that 99% of the time.
Yeah, this is completely nonsense for two reasons:
1) A number of anime tropes are inside jokes that speak to the fan that is already comfortable with the culture. It is not a taste issue. It's a translation issue. Non-anime fans don't know what a tsundere is because the concept doesn't exist anywhere else. They'll be like why is the protagonist such a bitch?

2) A lot of people seem uncomfortable with the fact that people can be statistically binned into rather few types, and there are certain works that appeal better to a general mainstream audience. This has been proven over and over by the efficacy of recommender systems, that trends exist in MAL ratings. If we recommend a show in the Top 10 to an anime fan, there is probably greater than 99% chance that he would enjoy it more than a random show in Top 200. There's no reason that a more general audience couldn't be predicted in the same way.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 18, 2019 4:24 PM

Nov 2010
Interesting question. My answer would ultimately be no, there are some people that would not enjoy any anime. Of course, I am assuming normal circumstances and what I am defining as "willing to stay open-minded" is an honest attempt to enjoy the show and not this magical assumption that people can become perfect clean slates, wiped from all previous media preferences and exposure and from their cultural background.

In a statement that may seem to contradict the previous one, I will say, though, that there are a few shows for everyone. So, if there are a few shows everyone could potentially enjoy, why do I say that there are people that would not get into anime? It's just that people would need to get used to the medium to appreciate even those shows.

Anime is a medium that is extremely different and raises some barriers to appreciation. I will list some. It entails a cultural barrier in many aspects. It is originally made in a foreign language. It has its own story-telling style (or, rather, range of styles), which differ from the mainstream, blockbuster Hollywood productions in many ways. Tempo, dialogue, "cinematography", use of silence, many things will be very new for people who've never ventured beyond their mainstream live action blockbusters and romantic comedies. And, perhaps the biggest one, it is animated, there are no real-looking actors for people to anchor upon.

There are many people out there who don't have the attention span or medium exposure that would get them past these barriers. There are many people out there who haven't played games, seen any "geeky" movies, etc. Their media consumption has been very limited and their appreciation is fairly narrow as well. Many have not seriously watched any animated media since childhood. This may be hard to understand for people who are fans of anime, since these barriers are often imperceptible at this point.
My girlfriend is not into "nerdy/geeky" stuff at all and never was. I have tried to watch a couple anime things with her and more often than not she either fell asleep or just watched while being mildly bored. And trust me, she knows I am a big fan of it and she wanted to like it. She told me that she just can't care about the animated characters. That she finds it hard to get interested in the story, which she usually deems strange. I have tried different types of shows/movies and the result is the same. The mature, realistic anime won't get her attention because she can't empathize with the characters or the situations and it is usually slow and/or too stylistic/experimental. The more fun, light-hearted shows often are too light and unrealistic for her.

She is not a unique case. I have friends who are like this as well. Not everyone will get into anime. It is an unfortunate fact for me personally haha.

Regardless, from having successfully gotten some people into anime before, I have had success with the following (adapt to the person's taste): Baccano, Shingeki no Kyojin, Tsumiki no Ie, OnePunch (they have to be into superhero stuff and at least remember anime from their childhood for this one though, or else it falls flat), Hotaru no Haka, Kimi no Na wa. These ones I have not tried but would have some potential: Psycho Pass, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Planetes, Koe no Katachi, Death Billiards (the oneshot), Kotonoha no Niwa, 5 cm/s, Tokyo Magnitude, Hachimitsu to Clover (careful with this one, requires patience and a genre appreciation), Ghost in the Shell, Sangatsu no Lion.

I would advise you to avoid recommending anime that are:
-too long (ie monster, galactic heroes)
-too cultural/too "japanese" (ie mononoke or the rakugo show)
-too artistic/experimental (ie tatami galaxy, kaiba)
-too ambiguous/confusing (ie texhnolyze, tenshi no tamago)
-with outdated animation (ie 80s anime)
-too slow/atmospheric (ie mushishi, aria)

Regardless of how good these shows are, they will, unfortunately, be unlikely to appeal to the average person to begin with. Besides those I would also consider sports, mecha and shounen battle anime to be suggestions unlikely to succeed. This obviously applies to the average person, some people are very specific cases and may even prefer to watch some like Tatami Galaxy to begin with. Those would be rare cases though. I hated it when it was airing, went back 2 years later after more exposure to different shows and it has remained a favorite ever since.
Always try your best to not let your taste and current understanding of quality dictate your recommendations too much.
kurosaki_kabutoJul 18, 2019 4:36 PM
Jul 18, 2019 4:25 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
katsucats said:
1) A number of anime tropes are inside jokes that speak to the fan that is already comfortable with the culture. It is not a taste issue. It's a translation issue. Non-anime fans don't know what a tsundere is because the concept doesn't exist anywhere else. They'll be like why is the protagonist such a bitch?

I'm left wondering what the presence or absence of tropes like tsundere has to do with what I'm saying, whenever I was talking about aesthetic at the very most in the part of the post you snipped. Big eyes, moe-style appearance, whatever, typical anime character designs and aesthetics, versus something like you'd see in Ping Pong or whatever shit people want to use to create new anime fans.

Are you just reading the idea of not tossing dumb shit against the wall and making up a general list of recs to toss out to everybody as being a response to your bit about tropes and fanservice and whatnot earlier in this thread?

That aside, equating tsundere to an in-joke for anime fans is like saying that the sweatpants wearing, always unquestioningly supportive boyfriend that I feel is so present in chick flicks is an in-joke to fans of chick flicks, which seems like it should be taken into about as much consideration as buying underwear at a secondhand store. I'll pass on that reach.

katsucats said:
2) A lot of people seem uncomfortable with the fact that people can be statistically binned into rather few types, and there are certain works that appeal better to a general mainstream audience. This has been proven over and over by the efficacy of recommender systems, that trends exist in MAL ratings. If we recommend a show in the Top 10 to an anime fan, there is probably greater than 99% chance that he would enjoy it more than a random show in Top 200. There's no reason that a more general audience couldn't be predicted in the same way.

I'm not necessarily arguing against the ability to categorize fans - I operate the largest fucking MAL club catering to a specific audience that I'm a part of, I'd like to think I'm at least semi-fucking-aware that demographics and niches exist simply because of how I spend the majority of my time on this site and being involved with this community. I'm arguing against the idea of tossing shit against the wall as a catch-all simply because you can make up an image of a general audience member to make recommendations to and consider it the safest bet/prediction/whatever, which is the very strong impression that I tend to be left with every time this thread pop up on this board.

Hell, to even operate under the premise of "We need to make the safest bet possible, so let's just focus on mainstream shows" saddles the implication that you don't know the interests of the person who's receiving your recommendation, so you're defaulting to the safest possible choices; at which point, it just turns back towards the rant about trying to spread the good word about anime, regardless of thought or consideration about the receiving party, and instead treating it like recommending stuff from your hobby to people is just being treated like it's fucking missionary work, for god-knows-whatever-reason.
ManabanJul 18, 2019 4:38 PM

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » should characters be smart or mature for you to enjoy them?

deg - Yesterday

27 by RaiYou »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime tropes you want to see more of

ST63LTH - 32 minutes ago

3 by Rhae »»
20 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

98 by Nette »»
34 minutes ago

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - 4 hours ago

11 by AryaVai »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - May 3

25 by deg »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.