Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 12, 2019 8:20 PM

Oct 2017
So most of the first episodes of the new season have aired and I want to talk about and promote the shows I am hyped for hear what everyone is excited for.

I've seen the first episode of most stuff but I will be waiting until all episodes are out for most non-comedies. I'm really looking forward to blasting through these in a three months or so:

Kanata no Astra. This ticked so many boxes for me. Interesting ensemble of characters, hard sci-fi with a mystery element, and a great mix of tones where the show has both a serious and fun side to it.

Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e. First episode was dope. I like the art. It was well animated where it needed to be. Looks like it will be a fun action ride kind of like Killing Bites without the ecchi. Or maybe with ecchi? Fingers crossed. Either way I think I'll enjoy the shit out of it.

DanMachi 2. Bestia is the only anime girl with a chest that big where it doesn't bother me. She's just awesome. And the show in general is really fun. Though I hear this season is going to be a bit darker than the first so should be interesting. Either way I will enjoy the return of Loli Big Boobs.

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. Has that A Place Further vibe to it but the cute and charismatic cast of teen girls is exploring their sexuality for the first time instead of the south pole (honestly it was very difficult to resist the obvious joke here). Fantastic directing and a generally well-produced first episode seems like it will tell a story with a tender mix of tasteful sexual comedy and drama. This one has potential for AOTY for me.

Nakanohito Genome [Jikkyouchuu]. Low members so I think this one will have gone over many peoples radar and... it's to be expected. Very odd overall tone, but I freaking love weirdness and for those that can get on board the crazy train, there is an intriguing set up to the story and some stellar art / directing on display.

[EDIT: How the hell did I forget UchiMusume. Just shows how much goodness there is that such a gem slopped my mind. Ep1 was one of the most comfy episodes of anime I've seen in a long time. Just as excited for that as any other on the above list.]

I don't really care for the popular shounen stuff as I rarely enjoy them as much as the hype. But I will check out Fire Force, Dr. Stone and Vinland too when all the eps are out. Vinland might work for me, not sure about the other two.

Seriously though. Incredibly exciting season for me. If even half the shows I'm hyped for fulfill their potential then this will be the best season I've experienced in the two years or so I've been an anime fan.
YossaRedMageJul 13, 2019 4:31 AM
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 12, 2019 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
I've only seen Astra from your list and while I liked the pacing and direction, I hope ticking boxes isn't all it's going for. Will need some more depth or unpredictability to the characters to keep me hooked.

My favourite first episode was Lord El-Malloi. I loved everything about it.
Jul 12, 2019 8:44 PM
May 2018
I don't get hyped anymore, but I do wish to see Vinland Saga once it is completely on Blu-ray.

And after I see Planetes.
Jul 12, 2019 8:51 PM

Jan 2017
Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? probably. It has been a long time since a gag anime like this has piqued my interest. I am loving the premise along with the hilarious ED and OP.

Dr. Stone because I am glad that a work by Boichi's finally got picked up by a studio.
Jul 12, 2019 8:52 PM

Oct 2013
Nothing, but I am cautiously optimistic about a few anime.

Vinland Saga
Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator
Dr. Stone
Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
Cop Craft
Jul 12, 2019 8:57 PM

Jul 2017
Most hyped is Kanata no Astra, simply because of the No Man's Sky vibes it gives. Other ones would be Given since it's probably the only show other than one I'll mention later that actually is going to have romance in it, and Cop Craft because it looks pretty cool

Other big hype is Araburu Kisetsu, because it's the only other potentially good romance series this season. Checked out the manga and it was pretty good at least in the beginning, however peeking through the raws (at least the ones that were available half of them won't even show up) there's only really 1 maybe 2 actually good couples in it, and the yuri character is kinda ruining the series for me
Short_CircutJul 12, 2019 9:01 PM
Jul 13, 2019 3:43 AM

Jul 2011
Absolutely nothing related to anime.

Jul 13, 2019 9:57 AM

Oct 2012
So excited for vinland saga. Not just because what I've seen was really good I'm just very excited for this current industry trend of classic manga getting anime adaptations.

Dr stone had a really exciting pilot. Very unique premise for a shounen, so excited to see where it goes. Great animation as well.

Also enjoying fruits basket and am looking forward to watching it continue.

So an exciting season imo.
Jul 13, 2019 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
I wonder why no one here is so goddamn hyped over Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2nd Season? Like its the best romcom this year
Jul 13, 2019 10:05 AM

May 2014
Dr. Stone is hype incarnate for me. The whole concept is great, but it doesn't just live on it's premise. It actually has great characters and interesting things to say about the world.

I'm far from up to date with the manga, so i'm hoping the anime goes further than what i've read as well.
Jul 13, 2019 10:55 AM
Feb 2017
Dr. Stone is all the hype I have for this season and I'm fine with that.
Jul 13, 2019 10:57 AM
May 2019
Nothing in particular but if I have to pick something I'll pick Dr. Stone.
Jul 13, 2019 10:59 AM

Feb 2019
Fire Force
I think this is the most hyped for me. The animation is great, the characters are awesome, and the premise is really interesting. Potential AOTY for me.

Vinland Saga
Same thing about Fire Force and better. To add more, the landscapes are gorgeous and I'm really liking the use of 3D for the action scenes. OP is a banger. It probably will be the AOTY.

Granbelm
Dark-horse of the season and probably my AOTS. The mixture of Madoka Magica with cute-chibi-stand-mechas is surprisingly amazing. The writing is solid even if it's not that great. I'm really looking forward to this!
Jul 13, 2019 11:02 AM

Apr 2015
I'm actually very curious about Dr. Stone, people have been telling me it's one of the best shounens in recent memory and I forgot to read the manga so let's see what it has in store for us.

Off topic but I also find it kinda funny how the roles have reversed with shounen, I find it very ironic that out of ALL the genres in this medium, it seems shounen is evolving in terms of unique ideas the fastest while everything else is lagging behind, when shounen years ago was made fun of for being the same. Sure it still is, but it's changing more that I thought it would.

It's like I got sent to Alice in Wonderland....
Jul 13, 2019 11:05 AM

Jan 2018
I'm excited for danmachi season 2. I don't know the exact emotion that I should be experiencing when I say I'm hyped but let's go!
Jul 13, 2019 11:12 AM

Aug 2018
Araburu Kisetsu:It might be mine first anime where the characters openly discuss about sex and explore it.It was unique and piqued mine interest.
Enen no Shouboutai:A shounen anime about firefighters.It has got an amazing op and the animation is great.
Dumbbell Nan Kilo Motteru:The op is so catchy.And an ecchi which seems enjoyable.
Kanata no Astra:I was hyped about it because it is from the same author as that of SKET Dance.But the sense of danger is very low.There might be potential twist as revealed at the second episode ending.
LorD El-Melloi II:My boi Waver is looking badass and nothing tops that.
Vinland Saga:The artsyle is amazing.The op and ed are lit.And have heard great things about it's manga.Though had problems with the CGI.
And finally the one which hyped me the most is ONE PIECE:WANO KUNI.The art looked gorgeous,the animation was almost fluid and it had normal pacing.All these things are unheard from the one piece anime but somehow it is there.Wonder how long they are gonna go this route.
Jul 13, 2019 12:18 PM
May 2018
Dunno, maybe upcoming Tsukihime anime project in next decade.
Jul 13, 2019 1:35 PM

Sep 2014
I just want to watch Haikyu! season 4

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Jul 13, 2019 2:05 PM

Oct 2017
JeffreyHo said:
I wonder why no one here is so goddamn hyped over Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2nd Season? Like its the best romcom this year

I didn't mention Takagi-san in my OP because I'm watching it weekly and wanted to list stuff I was saving as it will be my last real chance to talk about them before I pretend they don't exist waiting until all the eps are out.

I don't know why Takagi-san doesn't have more reach. The first season was fantastic. I know that it's highly rated among those who've seen it. I just think it's underwatched.

First episode was unreal how much I enjoyed seeing those characters back. Nishikata still holds it back ever so slightly for me but Takagi is a treasure. Super cute and funny but she has depth too in how she's actually using the teasing a cover for how much she likes Nishikata.

So yeah it doesn't top Kaguya-sama as romcom of the year for me yet, but it has potential and either way it awesome and I'm definitely hyped for it.

crosswrm said:
Granbelm
Dark-horse of the season and probably my AOTS. The mixture of Madoka Magica with cute-chibi-stand-mechas is surprisingly amazing. The writing is solid even if it's not that great. I'm really looking forward to this!

Yeah I looked at that and think it could definitely be something I could like. Not one of the ones I watched the first episode of though. I'll be watching it in one go when it finishes airing. Everything I've heard and seen of it has potential so fingers crossed!
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 13, 2019 2:08 PM

Jun 2017
nothing, never set my expectations high. probably why i like so much anime
Jul 13, 2019 2:22 PM

May 2016
I feel as if I was more excited in the previous years than I am now.The only new season of anime I am slightly excited for is Foodwars.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Jul 13, 2019 2:57 PM

Aug 2018
I'm really only hyped for Vinland Saga. Even though I know what's going to happen, seeing your favorite manga adapted into anime (by Wit Studios no less) feels great.
Jul 13, 2019 3:34 PM
Mar 2016
Dr Stone
The plot is entertaining, hopefully it doesn't become terrible
Jul 13, 2019 3:46 PM

Feb 2019
YossaRedMage said:
crosswrm said:
Granbelm

Yeah I looked at that and think it could definitely be something I could like. Not one of the ones I watched the first episode of though. I'll be watching it in one go when it finishes airing. Everything I've heard and seen of it has potential so fingers crossed!
I think Granbelm probably will be better appreciated if someone watches it in one go, so I think you're making the right call here!
cross3773Jul 13, 2019 3:50 PM
Jul 13, 2019 3:47 PM

Mar 2018
The melancholy of Haruhi suzumiya .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2019 6:44 PM

Jan 2016
What has me hyped? Well, going from most hyped to least hyped..... (and also basically being my "currently watching" for shows this season......)

Vinland Saga - What can I say besides it seems like a great story about growing up in a warrior society and clashing with the ideals set there while also being a great action story in its own right. Just from the first 3 episodes, I was gripped with the contrast of the warrior who found that killing didn't mean anything and the kids who were told that the only important thing was how strong you were in battle. Just fantastic

Dr. Stone - Just a really interesting story about what is most effective to rebuild society and with the recent episode 2, what is the society that they recreate going to look like? Besides the fact that the leads work well off each other, it also just has kinda a unique set up and looks like it wants to utilize that as much as possible.

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. - A very different take on the standard moe club show with a blunt goal of exploring sex and sexuality without it being an excuse to just throw dirty jokes everywhere. It at times borders on ridiculous but it's just so different from basically anything I've seen in the genre that I can't help but be fascinated.

Kanata no Astra - I didn't realize the first episode was a double length until I finished it. Beyond that, its an interesting space story I don't feel like we've seen in a while with a likable cast of characters that interact well and are overall likable. The comedy is hit or miss for me, although I'm getting more used to it. Otherwise, seeing this group of oddballs grow closer is quite nice.

Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? - If I'm honest, this hit right at home since I've been noncommittally going to the gym for about a month now. It's an overall cute and fun edutainment show about body building that half of why I'm watching it is for tips and to keep me motivated to keep going to the gym. If this can keep me on schedule for the 12 weeks it takes to air, the story can go to crap for all I care.

Enen no Shouboutai - So I'm a huge Soul Eater fan (manga anyway) so same author is a huge plus, and this is so far slick and stylish with some interesting morality moments thrown in. At times it feels like it pushes some of its themes too hard and doesn't have a clear direction at the moment, but to be fair, neither did Soul Eater for a while and at the very least it's fun, so I'm sticking with it for now.

Given - So I like checking out different types of romance stories, and a Shonen Ai without consensual issues is about as different as it gets in anime. Although for now, I'm here for the music. That jam session was really cool and while Kota takes a lot of getting used to, I'd be lying if I said by the end of the episode I wasn't feeling it a bit. Still need to see more of what's coming though.

Cop Craft - Honestly, I almost passed this one, and I'm not sure I saw anything that unique in the one episode that's out, but at the same time, watching Kekkai Sensen as a buddy cop movie is still fun. I'll see what it brings in the next couple of episodes, but this seems like a fun ride.

and finally,

Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e - This one is mostly still here because I think it could be really interesting, but so far has yet to really prove to me it will be. I like the idea that could be present in the story of exploring the monsters that war makes you into, in this case quite literally, but I'm not sure it executes it in the best way. It's a shame, I feel this could be legitimately great, but something about it just isn't fully working for me. I'm giving it another episode, but there's a fair chance I'll drop this one.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jul 13, 2019 8:21 PM

Jan 2019
nothing. my life sucks :( please someone help
Jul 14, 2019 6:59 AM
Jul 2018
YossaRedMage said:
JeffreyHo said:

I didn't mention Takagi-san in my OP because I'm watching it weekly and wanted to list stuff I was saving as it will be my last real chance to talk about them before I pretend they don't exist waiting until all the eps are out.

I don't know why Takagi-san doesn't have more reach. The first season was fantastic. I know that it's highly rated among those who've seen it. I just think it's underwatched.

First episode was unreal how much I enjoyed seeing those characters back. Nishikata still holds it back ever so slightly for me but Takagi is a treasure. Super cute and funny but she has depth too in how she's actually using the teasing a cover for how much she likes Nishikata.

So yeah it doesn't top Kaguya-sama as romcom of the year for me yet, but it has potential and either way it awesome and I'm definitely hyped for it.

crosswrm said:
Granbelm

I really love Kaguya sama but Takagi san has this special place in my heart because it reminds me of the rivalry I had with my crush
Jul 14, 2019 7:01 AM

May 2018
Danmachi 2 and Senki Zesshou are the two I hype the most.
Jul 14, 2019 8:33 AM

Dec 2016
Tenki no Ko. Makoto Shinkai's new movie. it's coming out in less than a week and i cannot be anymore exited.
Ever since i saw the first trailer and knew that RADWIMPS will be doing the music, my exitement levels sky rocketed.
but sadly we're gonna have to wait till 2020

More topics from this board

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

27 by Ratris_Decision »»
33 seconds ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Yesterday

45 by Shizuna »»
44 seconds ago

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 20 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

121 by Mishiia »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Apr 26

74 by TheFlyingSoda »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.