Forum Settings
Forums

Do you score a series while you're still watching it, or only after?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 28, 2019 4:47 AM
Aug 2015
It's one of my personal rules to only rate shows I've finished. This also includes series I've dropped. The beginning, middle and end make up the show/movie/ova and I feel I should judge it as such.
May 28, 2019 4:48 AM

Jul 2016
I know how I feel about it once a moment like this occurs.

May 28, 2019 5:31 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
For me it really depends, I normally have a score halfway through a series just so it shows how I'm currently feeling, but does tend to change as I watch more.

Some shows I have confused feelings so I don't score until I finish it.
May 28, 2019 5:44 AM
Feb 2017
I rate it at the end. Any show can drop or ride in score, and after looking back on the whole show my opinion on it can change.
May 28, 2019 5:45 AM

May 2017
only after and recently i stopped scoring them right after or even at all,some time to clear the mind is needed if im gonna bother anyway
May 28, 2019 5:47 AM

May 2018
Not sure why is so important to score only a finished title.

Isn't it clear that the score is based only on the watched episodes?
Also how about the long running and still ongoing series?

Isn't it interesting to follow how this score progresses?
Like being high in the beginning, falling in the middle and slowly rising towards the end.

I score if I have completed even one episode. In a case of a drop I want information to make me remember why I dropped it. If the score is high it means that the production is fine and I disliked the show for some particular element.

Sometimes I follow several older shows + seasonals and those scores help me navigate in what was my impression of them...especially in light that I tend to hold on stuff for years.
May 28, 2019 6:30 AM

Apr 2018
I kind of don't get the "I score only once it's finished" mentality.
If you score a completed season of a bigger franchise, u may be scoring 12/24 eps out of 80/100. At that point is it really that different to score after 3 eps or 12?
And if you think the quality is increasing/decreasing and it doesn't match your score anymore, u can change it anytime.
For what I'm seeing on mal, a lot of people seem to think that if u score an airing anime, ur trying to predict the quality of the whole thing, which is not the case. If I give a 8 to the first 3 eps of a 24 ep anime, I mean those 3 eps and 3 eps alone are an 8, I'm not judging the other 21 I'm yet to see.
May 28, 2019 8:38 AM

Oct 2017
I rate it after I'm done watching it(finished or dropped), but I also don't tend to watch things as they air which is where I'd imagine this is popular. I don't think it really matters regardless though as you can change scores at any point and time. It is clear to me at least, that if it's scored prior to it being finished then it's a reflection of their thoughts up to that episode.
May 28, 2019 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
The majority of the time I would wait until I've finished the series, however occasionally when I'm at least 6 episodes into a series I may give it a score if it is really good/bad, for example Index III is an anime that I could tell deserved a 5 halfway through watching it.
May 28, 2019 9:01 AM

Jan 2010
1. After I completed it
2. After I dropped it
3. After I finished the current arc (for long running anime)
May 28, 2019 9:07 AM

Apr 2015
I'm on the unpredictable since I can do either of both depending of my mood.
May 28, 2019 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
I score anime after I watch them. As to why, I don't know. I think I just feel pressured into conforming to the tradition. The same reason probably applies to most people also.
I actually don't place as much emphasis on the ending. For me, it's mainly the journey that matters.
May 28, 2019 9:40 AM

Aug 2017
I don’t even add a show to my list until I’m done watching it or I dropped it

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 28, 2019 9:41 AM

Aug 2017
Also I don’t even score anime unless I’m on the desktop version and the add prompt has a score option

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 28, 2019 9:47 AM

Feb 2010
I pretty much always give a show a score when I first add them to my list after watching the first episode. It's a mixture of first impression, potential and expectations that is represented by that early score. Often it doesn't change that much by the end of it, +/- 1 from the initial score tops. But sometimes there are cases where the score changes more than that, but they are rare. Usually I'm quite good at predicting the potential of a show and having adequate expectations based on my first impressions.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 28, 2019 9:57 AM

Aug 2016
I score only after I completed (or dropped) a show.
Why should one score while watching the anime? It can get better or worse so you have to adjust your score constantly...
May 28, 2019 9:59 AM

Dec 2018
I feel like I should always wait before watching the entire series before scoring. Because it might be meh at the start and end amazing, or vice versa.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2019 10:03 AM

Mar 2019
it depends, if it's a seasonal show then I'll give it a temporary score around ep 3 but if it's a show that's already complete then I'll just wait.
Wait a minute, how did this happen? We're smarter than this!
May 28, 2019 10:03 AM

May 2017
I never rate an anime unless I have completed it. I will often have a fairly good idea of what the anime will be rated after the first few episodes, but I feel like it's a waste of my time to rate it at the beginning and then have to keep 'monitoring' the score to make sure it matches my impressions of the anime.
May 28, 2019 11:55 AM

Nov 2015
I usually only score something after I finish it, with a few exceptions.

I don't know how common this is for anyone else, but I score whole series together, instead of by individual season. I don't see the point in giving a different rating to each part of it because it is still the same show. So that means that if a new season of an anime that I have watched before is currently airing, I already know what the score will be in the end, so there's no point in waiting till I've finished it.

That being said this only applies to sequels and such; for everything else I always wait till I've completed it before giving it a score, even if I know right away how much I think I like or don't like it.

This especially applies to dropped series: I absolutely will not score things I have dropped. And I don't get people who do that, either.
May 28, 2019 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
Scoring while watching it is just very disrespectful in my opinion, one can't just simply judge an anime before knowing all parts of it. I would feel very sad if someone just sees half of my drawing or some piece of art that I created and they only experience half of it and give me a judgement. I mean what about the remaining parts? It's what it makes it complete and perfect

I only score anime after I watch it completely, however, if an anime ends up being totally bad, like really really bad, disgusting and just horrible in all aspects, I will rate it low even if I drop it. Fortunately it hasn't happened yet and I hope it never happens.
May 28, 2019 12:07 PM

Feb 2010
when people rate after one or two episodes they rate episodes they seen not the whole show how can somebody not understand..
May 28, 2019 12:40 PM

Aug 2018
If I feel as though I've watched enough of a show to characterize it well then I will give a rating before having finished it. The number of episodes necessary to get a good handle on what a series is going to be decreases with experience. Of course my rating may change as I continue watching but It typically only requires a slight adjustment.

So fine if you rate after having seen only a few episodes you are technically only rating those episodes and not the series as a whole but people seem to forget that the quality of the rest of the series is pretty strongly implied by the first stretch of episodes. If we look at an extreme case such as One Piece I refuse to believe one must watch 800 episodes or more before they could understand what the series is in general or what to expect episode 801 to be like. So with this in mind ultimately we are just searching for a seemingly arbitrary cutoff between what is a sufficient number of episodes to accurately characterize a series and what isn't. My cutoff is currently around three episodes in most cases, yours might be different, it all depends on how experienced you are at doing this.
RogertheShrubberMay 28, 2019 7:05 PM
May 28, 2019 1:33 PM

May 2016
generally I'll score a show I'm watching after the first 3 episodes. Then I usually reevaluate every few weeks for airing shows or when I'm done for anything non-seasonal.

The way I see it I'm not hurting anyone or the series by prematurely scoring it, and it helps me to see how my feelings on a show change over time.

May 28, 2019 1:44 PM

Nov 2018
I try to watch it through and rate once I finished or dropped it.
May 28, 2019 1:50 PM

Apr 2016
I rate an anime after 1st episode, and change it almost every episode, that's why 90% of the time the final score is different

May 28, 2019 1:53 PM
Apr 2019
I don't really get it when people can not only score a show before they've finished it but write a review for it. That shit doesn't make sense to me. Even though I do get that most people can gauge whether or not they'll like a show within two episodes, a 1-10 rating imo only be given out once you've fully experienced a work.
May 28, 2019 1:59 PM

May 2018
"Disgraceful", "hurting", "unfair"...are you guys serious?

Your personal scores - you do with them whatever you want.
Fanboys will give 10/10 to anything, haters will try to kill it with 1/10 and the rest will use 7/10 as "average" score. The voting system is totally skewed.

We still get those "Is 7.5 as cutoff score good or I should aim higher?" pretentious topics.
Naaah you guys. You can get a total trash title with 9 and absolute piece of art with 6.
alshuMay 29, 2019 7:50 AM
May 28, 2019 4:14 PM

Feb 2018
I usually wait until I finish to give a rating. For animes spanning 2+ seasons, I rate at the end of each season watched.

I like to wait for the story to unfold before giving a full opinion. That said, if an anime is unbearable even after a few episodes in, I’ll stop watching, put down my rating and call it a day.

๐–ณ๐—ˆ ๐–ฌ๐—’ ๐–ฒ๐—ˆ๐—Ž๐—…
๐–ฉ๐–พ๐—‹๐—‹๐—’ ๐–ฅ๐—ˆ๐—…๐—„
๐ŸŽ:๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ“ โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ” ๐Ÿฏ:๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฎ โŸณ
โด๏ธŽ โธ โต๏ธŽ

May 28, 2019 4:18 PM
Oct 2018
I used to score while watching, but now I wait till after I finish
i think i've had enough
May 28, 2019 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
I always score it after. I have a general idea as I watch, but sometimes there are some twists that happen at the end that change my mind or some animes have crappy endings that cause me to lower the score.

It's better to wait and judge it at the end, then to score it in the middle.
May 28, 2019 4:25 PM
Apr 2016
Only after I finish watching them, but there are exceptions like One Piece, since over 800 episodes had aired, and thus that's enough to judge it.
May 28, 2019 4:40 PM

Aug 2016
Yeah I do most of the time, if I'm enjoying a show I usually can tell lol. Scores will sometimes fluctuate throughout my watching and I do go back and change ratings even after I've already finished it to see if it holds up to other shows I've rated similarly.
May 28, 2019 4:40 PM

May 2018
I start scoring from the first episode - always have, always will LOL.
May 28, 2019 5:21 PM

Sep 2018
Most of the time I try to after, but occasionally I’ll rate it in the middle if I’m REALLY liking it so far
May 28, 2019 5:27 PM
Apr 2018
Nah, after I've finished watching an entry. I used to rate as I watched, but I would end up, after being done with each episode, over thinking whether I agree with my first impression or not. Since then, I've decided to avoid scoring unless I complete a series.
May 28, 2019 5:35 PM

Nov 2017
I always rate after seeing the first episode.

I find it interesting to reevaluate the score after each episode.
May 28, 2019 5:55 PM

Apr 2019
I don't rate things when I'm still watching them, even if I have been watching for a while, or if I have dropped them. For example, I dropped InuYasha at 80/167, and even though I watched half of it (which is a good chunk), I prefer not to score it as I don't know the rest of the story, how the character progresses and stuff like that.

For that reason I won't score any dropped anime. A score is a reflection of the product as a whole, and not only for animes or mangas. You can argue about it, you can defend its strong points or its weaknesses, though I feel you can not effectively score it.

Surely, that is my line of thought, and I see that 1/3 of the people that voted here actually score without finishing the anime. To each their own, I guess - I don't have to agree with their methods and they don't have to agree with mines.
May 28, 2019 7:04 PM

Sep 2018
I prefer rating after finishing a show, the only exceptions to this are never-ending animes like One Piece, Gintama, etc.
May 28, 2019 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
Depends on if I feel like scoring it while I’m still watching it or not. Yes, I know... I’m pretty lazy:<
May 28, 2019 7:08 PM

Mar 2019
Much like yourself, I, too, must see the ending before I can truly deliver a rate that I feel is justified. However, I am not one to take my ratings so serious, as I rate based on the enjoyment I felt throughout the entire show.

I'm a soft guy when it comes to ratings. But I will never give out a rating until I have completed the show unless something drastic happens.
May 28, 2019 8:50 PM
Mar 2018
I rate after because when I rate while watching an anime, ill start criticizing the episodes rather than watching it for the joy.
May 28, 2019 8:52 PM

Oct 2015
I rate something after. Don't want to jump to any conclusions and theres really no point of a rating system if you don't use it like its intended
May 28, 2019 10:32 PM
Jan 2019
I give them preliminary rankings after episode 6, then keep updating them from there. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of the overall quality of the anime by that point, and having no score irritates me every time I look at my list. If the quality changes, I will change it later, but I see nothing wrong with rating it early as long as it is an accurate representation of the quality of the anime.
May 28, 2019 10:58 PM

Oct 2017
Scores are a representation of your opinions/views. And it's pretty absurd if you think you don't have an opinion regarding a show until you've seen a specified episode. As long as you've an opinion, you've a rating. And since scores are a representation of your views on the show, you can express them even at the very first episode.

I rate them whenever I feel like it which is mostly on the first episode.
May 28, 2019 11:02 PM

Jun 2009
I rate only after I'm done watching (except for some on-hold/dropped anime) though usually I do have a score in my head. I just have no time or patience to keep adjusting the score on MAL throughout the season. ^^;
May 28, 2019 11:24 PM
Oct 2018
I rate them while watching..but later change them after completing the show...
I liked 'another' anime at first with a rating of 9 but later changed it to 7 after the ending..
May 29, 2019 12:55 AM

Jun 2010
When I was writing reviews, I had to rate every episode at the end of it. However on the personal basis of each anime I watch, it can be easily gauged based on how well it is being produced. Certain production company can produce better quality of animation due to the huge sum of funds sponsored, and hence the company is able to engage a more established director and team of production staff to work on the series.

Anime do not only depend on the artwork, but also inclusive of other factors like music/songs, computer graphics (CG), digital effects (VFX & SFX), etc to determine the degree of entertainment for its viewers.

Another reason for rating to fluctuate is pacing. Many anime are based on the manga adaptation. Thus if the anime is moving too fast, it may eventually catch up to the manga series. Unlike anime series, manga magazine company (such as JUMP) has the privilege of holding temporary cease of publication for such reason as golden week, mangaka's vacation, sickness or personal issues for say a particular day of the week, while anime in Japan are shown through the TV network for nationwide viewing. There is no such thing as to stop a week or two of air time because there is no content to be aired. If a particular series has to stop for a day, the TV station will have to find another show for replacement of the empty slot of air time. Therefore, many viewers will find that in certain period of time, the scene for certain arc starts to drag just to buy time. This is actually very evident when I was watching Naruto, Bleach and the current ongoing One Piece.

Next, we have series which are "axed off" deliberately due to the withdrawal of sponsorship. In such series, it is often presented with ending becoming like a bullet train (high-speed train in Japan) which leaves many dissatisfied viewers.

Generally, all of the above are important determinants of enjoyment level of the series that have been watched or are watching.

I would usually rate a newly-watched and/or long and ongoing series almost after a few episodes and gradually adjust the rating as I continue watching. For short and completed series like those with only 12 or 24 episodes, I can wait till I complete watching all of them before rating since the series can be finished within a day or two.

I think by giving a rating as I watch helps to record my enjoyment level of the series I'm following closely to. I do not have the "fan-boy/girl" or "hater" style of rating.

Though having said the above, the degree of enjoyment varies from individual to individual. I may find a particular series interesting and well presented, while another person may view it as garbage. Sometimes a dislike may not be necessarily be due to the production and its quality, but because the person does not like the personality or certain behaviour of a particular character, and hence gives a lower rating. Obviously this phenomenon can also be vice se versa. haha :)
ProGoddessMay 29, 2019 1:00 AM
May 29, 2019 1:35 AM

Sep 2014
I do both but I mainly give a score on long-running series while waiting for a show to end before I rate it.
May 29, 2019 2:00 AM

Oct 2017
Ah I strictly give score only after completing the anime, sometimes I end up giving score to ongoing anime but there were several instance where the show starts off good and my expectations go up but then it ends up being a trash (Devils Line, etc), so i kinda feel bad for giving it high score initially cause the score is given based on the entire series not just few couple of episode.

For me if you ask I started watching Gintama, first few episodes were booring I could rate that 5-6 maybe but after completing it I reached to the conclusion that it is a really good one. I don't want people who go through my profile and catch up that I initially rated that series very low and they reach to the conclusion of not giving it a watch because of my stupid scoring.

Tbh giving score based on the initial few episodes is pointless, you never know how the series would turn out to be. Maybe for some people changing the score is not an issue, I get it to when you like the anime too much you end of giving it a rate but the point is eventually you have to score it after how you've felt after completing it because their previous score doesn't hold any value at all.

I want you to be happy.
I want you to laugh a lot.
I don’t know what exactly
I’ll be able to do for you,
but I’ll always be by your side.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

40 by Horshu »»
23 seconds ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 9 hours ago

38 by MichaelJackson »»
37 seconds ago

» Have you ever refused to watch an anime because of its toxic fanbase?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 8 hours ago

38 by MichaelJackson »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 1 hour ago

12 by Absurdo_N »»
9 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.