Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2019 4:21 AM
Apr 2014
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
This chapter had a lot to take in, I have to reread it.
But all I can say now is that Shingo disappointed so much. Like wtf are you saying dude??
May 22, 2019 8:27 AM

Jul 2015
Shingo was pretty dishonest with his arguments, that was disappointing as hell. It is what it is: homophobia... :(

He twisted everything the girls were saying and strawmanned SO HARD.
That thing about "love to bullying" being the same as loving someone was gross. Love to hate doesn't equate to caring deeply (romanticaly) for someone.
Society "accepting" gay people nowadays doesn't excuse being bigoted (AND VIOLENT).
He also said that their fight and the girls talking shit about Kensuke was the same, because they're also being intolerant, but then his argument falls in the "paradox of tolerance", that says that if society is tolerant with violent intolerance then eventually intolerance will destroy the tolerant and torelance itself, and I do believe that's the truth. I think the girls are right, there was no reason for him to fisically assault Touma the way he did.

It's so bad that Kensuke was molested in the past, but he decided that he was entitled to victimize someone because once he was a victim himself. I almost feel no sympathy for him.

From personal experience, being around bigoted people can destroy your own mind, so for Touma's sake I just hope they don't get to be friends anymore. It's ok to let go of some people in your life if all they do is destroy your confidence and self steem.

It feels like they were even more hurt that a man dared to not reciprocate Mami's feelings, because I'm pretty sure both guys like her.

The construction of some characters in this manga is brilliant. I can't wait for the next chapter cause my heart was completely shattered to pieces by that cliffhanger... :(

It's funny that Futaba is the only considerate person in all of this even if she's just so unaware of things, even her own existence and worth.

I hope to see Touma's and Masumi's PoV soon.
May 22, 2019 10:46 AM

Dec 2016

Okay but where did you two read it?
May 22, 2019 2:30 PM
Apr 2014
Sonal1988 said:

Okay but where did you two read it?

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1001700
May 22, 2019 11:44 PM
Jul 2018
you would WHAAAAAAAAAAT
May 24, 2019 12:46 PM

Apr 2016
Interesting chapter, especially the arguments given out there between Kensuke, Shingo and the girls. I think they're all valid in their own way to an extent. The "no right answer" would be mine.

The end for this chapter is getting me excited even more.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

May 24, 2019 3:13 PM

Mar 2016
Although Shingo made me angry by taking Kensuke's side, I do think we have to listen to the homophobes as well. People's beliefs exist for a reason, and they won't change easily. When people listen to each other, and have an open minded conversation, they will be able to finally understand each other.

The two girls were amazing though; fighting for our gay boy!

While Kensuke's feelings are more understandable now, I still think he is the one who is wrong. He sees girls and guys (and gays) as separate. That is why I don't like labels that define gender or race or sexuality. As long as you're part of a group, you are likely to suffer from in-group/out-group bias. (Although, I also think some people need labels to feel like they belong somewhere)

The tension in Masumi's face is quite amazingly drawn when Futaba imagines being confessed by her.

May 24, 2019 9:17 PM
Feb 2019
Ellroy said:
Shingo was pretty dishonest with his arguments, that was disappointing as hell. It is what it is: homophobia... :(

That thing about "love to bullying" being the same as loving someone was gross. Love to hate doesn't equate to caring deeply (romanticaly) for someone.
Society "accepting" gay people nowadays doesn't excuse being bigoted (AND VIOLENT).
He also said that their fight and the girls talking shit about Kensuke was the same, because they're also being intolerant, but then his argument falls in the "paradox of tolerance", that says that if society is tolerant with violent intolerance then eventually intolerance will destroy the tolerant and torelance itself, and I do believe that's the truth. I think the girls are right, there was no reason for him to fisically assault Touma the way he did.

It's so bad that Kensuke was molested in the past, but he decided that he was entitled to victimize someone because once he was a victim himself. I almost feel no sympathy for him.

From personal experience, being around bigoted people can destroy your own mind, so for Touma's sake I just hope they don't get to be friends anymore. It's ok to let go of some people in your life if all they do is destroy your confidence and self steem.

It feels like they were even more hurt that a man dared to not reciprocate Mami's feelings, because I'm pretty sure both guys like her.

The construction of some characters in this manga is brilliant. I can't wait for the next chapter cause my heart was completely shattered to pieces by that cliffhanger... :(

It's funny that Futaba is the only considerate person in all of this even if she's just so unaware of things, even her own existence and worth.

FuMomo-kun said:
Although Shingo made me angry by taking Kensuke's side, I do think we have to listen to the homophobes as well. People's beliefs exist for a reason, and they won't change easily. When people listen to each other, and have an open minded conversation, they will be able to finally understand each other.

While Kensuke's feelings are more understandable now, I still think he is the one who is wrong. He sees girls and guys (and gays) as separate. That is why I don't like labels that define gender or race or sexuality. As long as you're part of a group, you are likely to suffer from in-group/out-group bias. (Although, I also think some people need labels to feel like they belong somewhere)

The tension in Masumi's face is quite amazingly drawn when Futaba imagines being confessed by her.

So many people can't even grasp what Shingo was saying. It's sad how many people write him off.

This whole discussion is not about homosexuality in and of itself but rather what happens when two parties with differing values interact.

Shingo's argument of love was in regards to the emotional aspect of the word relating to satisfaction or the feeling of pleasure. It doesn't posses the same meaning or nuance as the term when used in relationships so in that regard his argument was completely logical. He's regarding a feeling when discussing love and hate. Saying they are neutral in and of themselves in terms of correctness.

This whole chapter was two girls emotionally and verbally beating up Kensuke like he physically hit Touma. Shingo pointed out that the girls were being hypocrites. They essentially did everything they hated on Kensuke for when you view the topic as one of a clashing of values.

Shingo did not condone Kensuke's actions. He specifically separated the specific instance in question with the fact that the girls were attacking Kensuke's very values as if they possessed a god-given sense of objectiveness and understood an absolute morality.

Shingo stepped up and made the argument that the women were unilaterally trying to shut Kensuke's belief system down. They weren't there to discuss, to understand, they simply wanted to get rid of someone who didn't agree with them. Quite frankly, the girls were simply virtue signaling as much as I hate to use the term. The way they made light of his molestation was just another sort of skeevy nod to the fact that they were just there to hear themselves talk. Or at least they didn't put much thought into it if they were being genuine. This is why Shingo flipped their argument on them, made them out to be hypocrites and essentially had them fleeing in defeat. What they were doing was useless and non-beneficial to the situation to put it bluntly.

If Kensuke thinks gays are gross. He's entitled to it. It's not 'wrong' to possess that feeling no matter how much you want to assert it because it doesn't suit your personal, regional, philosophical, political or religious framework.

If the girls think Kensuke is gross for feeling that way then they can also think that.

What happens when they meet each other? That's the issue at hand. Well, as Shingo pointed out, either you face it head on and try to resolve the issue despite having different values.This goes for all sorts of differing view points by default.

You bottle it up and go with the flow so as not to rock the boat.

Or you fuck off and stop associating with one another.

TLDR: My man Farmer Shingo was just telling the two donkeys to stop kicking the dog for being a dog and hating a cat. Whether or not he can make friends with the cat is their issue and trying to unilaterally write the dogs values as wrong while you sit on your pedestal is horseshit, unproductive and the way you make enemies.

As for The Tolerance Paradox. Whether or not you believe that is up to you but even if you do, it's not about the sort of situation being covered in this chapter. Popper even expresses how it would be unwise to suppress intolerant philosophies in and of itself. The whole theorem revolves more around an open-society in which there exists an imminent and present threat/promotion of violence in which the society itself is in danger. It's a last straw sort of option when the other party has resorted to illegal acts, refuses to harbor any discourse with opposing views and is essentially at the tipping point. It isn't about ideas, words and feelings you find distasteful in and of themselves. A lot of extremists on both the left and right seem to love to cite this.

So no, trying to destroy Kensuke for disagreeing with their values isn't ok by any stretch of the imagination. And Popper would have probably reacted like Shingo.

Of course this has nothing to do with how Kensuke actually handled the situation like a buffoon. As I cited earlier on, the actual topic of the chapter was something much more profound.

As for Kensuke's view on gender. That is a pretty common viewpoint tbh. There are differences between men and women whether we want to admit it or not and that was handled fairly respectfully by the author.

(Disagree? You're entitled to an opposing opinion. I'm gracious enough to let you have it. And civil enough to share a space. The real problem is those on either extreme who can't do this)

To quote Shingo"It's just my two cents". Have fun and goodbye folks. What a great chapter.
May 24, 2019 10:43 PM
Mar 2015
Interesting arguments Even the homophobe had a basis for his opinion having been molested as a child. Futuba,touma and taichi have been in so many different positions The confession had made it hard for them to be together
May 25, 2019 12:19 AM

Jul 2015
Oh, It's a fake one, there's no need to answer xD

But I wanted to let everyone know that the "Paradox of tolerance" doesn't really talk about about destroying all the intolerant groups with violence or w/e, but suppressing dangerous intolerant discourse/actions (as feeling like you should assault people for being different... huh???).
And that's what I was talking about, supressing this idea that gay people have to apologize for "being in the wrong" for the almighty heteronormative part of society.

(and what's with this right/left bullshit?? lmao)
May 25, 2019 9:01 AM
Feb 2013
This is probably the best chapter in the series so far and I can't wait to see what else we have in store after this one!!

I see a lot of people are angry at Shingo, but I think he's honestly the only character who is trying to understand everyone and keep their friendship.

The girls come from a place of majority as now in society homophobia is not accepted (for many good reasons) and they just try to write off Kensuke as being an intolerant jerk, but they completely disregard what he is trying to say.

His being abused by a man multiple times in his childhood has made him completely terrified of gay men to the point that he reacts violently to the idea that someone he considered a close friend is capable of doing to him what his abuser did to him.

Not saying that's an appropriate response, but the girls first response to this is "Well you don't look like a victim of abuse", instead of showing sympathy and trying to reach an understanding with him.

I feel as though Kensuke and the girls both had something to prove which was moral superiority where Shingo was trying to understand the feelings of his friends and see if it was possible to restore their group.

You don't really ever see discussions like this in mainstream manga and I'm really glad Ao no Flag decided to talk about a topic that can so easily be swept under the rug.
Jun 12, 2019 5:01 AM

Jan 2015
This was so frustrating to read tho.

Joestars10 said:
you would WHAAAAAAAAAAT

Exactly, what the fuck? We have a cliffhanger like every new chapter
Mar 8, 2020 1:46 AM

Jan 2009
Shingo is now officially the best and just about the smartest character in the entire series.

Damn, when it comes to difference in opinions, it would be sooo nice if real people in the world would be able to see the big picture like him, not just their own small minded views and berating everyone else who's not on their side.

And yeah, Kensuke was definitely in the wrong for getting physical, but he still had every right to get angry for feeling betrayed. You can be angry about anything that does not sit right with you and you can also express your own opinion about it.
Suginami85Mar 8, 2020 3:04 AM
Mar 9, 2020 12:02 PM

Aug 2016
TLDR:

Futaba: I hope you are not gay, Itachi
Itachi : hehe
MichaelJacksonMar 27, 2020 2:34 PM
:v
Mar 12, 2020 11:12 PM

May 2015
Kinda sad to see people take the girls' side 100%, and act like Shingo and Kensuke were committing wrong think or something. Though, it's not like I'm surprised by this. Even when it's obvious that both sides had good and bad points, people still gotta be baised as fuck.

May 2, 2020 4:51 PM

Jun 2012
But who gives reason to kensuke has shit in the brain? so being abused (which is completely thrown at random) means that you can be a homophobe? the characters are more and more stupid in this manga.
Dec 7, 2020 4:00 AM
Feb 2014
Shingo really let me down with this chapter. "Loving bullying" you mean loving to do harm. "Hating is bad so is hating bullying bad as well" wtf???
Aug 23, 2021 11:29 AM

Oct 2015
"So like, if we're mean to homophobes, isn't it basically the same as being mean to gay people?"

-Shingo, probably.

Man, I hate this enlightened centrist nonsense. If you wanna be bigoted or hateful or something, just own up to the fact that you are, like Kensuke does. Don't go on this moralistic tirade about "Every view/belief/feeling is equally valid, and any attempt to attack or shame someone for it is basically wrongthink levels of authoritarianism." cause no one's buying it buddy, not even yourself.

I honestly hate people like Shingo even more than Kensuke—who is at least honest about his bias—and would absolutely destroy his arguments if I was in that room. But credit where credit's due, pseudointellectual dumbfucks who try to reason themselves into outrageous positions by equivocating clearly disanalogous things do exist, and I like that the show depicted that type of person. I only wish the girls were written so they held their own better, it almost feels a bit sexist since the guys (or at least Shingo) clearly argued their case better, despite being dead wrong.
Feb 26, 2022 9:59 AM
Sep 2015
I do wonder... if I had read this years ago when I was a fundamentalist Christian and struggling with my homosexual desires, would I have come out sooner to myself?
Like, I genuinely see this manga as a very good turning point for homophobes who are conditioned to think being gay is a sin or disgusting & I honestly don't say this about any work of fiction.

Also, if you agree with Shingo, chances are that you're a centrist. He sounds logical only within the framework of relativism ("You have your truth, I have my truth so we should all tolerate each other") which imo is bullshit.
When it comes to sexism, racism and homophobia, there are no multiple "truths".

People are free to disagree because of free speech but that doesn't make them right.
Jun 19, 2022 6:54 AM

Sep 2013
I really disagree with Shingo, homophobia isn't a position that is as valid as not being homophobic...
Sure, people who love to "play devil's advocate blah blah" exist, but I wonder why he was depicted so positively here...

and aaaah Masumi is in a tough position now
Aug 29, 2022 6:37 PM
Dec 2020
I felt a bit sick reading this chapter.

On one hand, I know it can be hard to erase bias caused from pain. Kensuke suffered a lot when he was younger, and he deserves time and space to heal from that. However, that does not excuse comitting an act of violence against someone because of their identity.

Not all people from one group are the same, and it is bigoted and discriminatory to view an entire group as predatory because of the actions of one person. It is even worse to push these beliefs onto someone else, especially with violence.

I don't like how Shingo reversed all of what the girls said back onto them. It would work for about any other topic that one discussing minorities that have been oppressed forever. What Kensuke did was a hate crime, and he excused it by projecting his trauma onto someone else.

Kensuke suffered a lot, but that does not give him the right to believe harmful things about an entire group of people, or two hurt someone because they share that identity.

I hope this is explored more deeply because this chapter left a strange taste in my mouth. All it does is remind me of the times people have stereotyped me or discriminated against me for my identity.
Oct 20, 2022 2:53 PM

Jun 2013
I think that all the above replies have valid things to say about what Shingo said.
While what he was saying in this chapter was pretty contentious I think that if there were more characters as pragmatic as Shingo, there'd be a lot less stupid/avoidable conflict in anime/manga.
I think it was brave (not sure if this is the right word) for Kensuke, and by extension the author, to put forward such an 'unpopular' point of view.
While I more or less agree completely with what the girls were saying, Shingo's point about them giving him a verbal beating down was a good one*.
Very thought-provoking chapter and I'm interested to see where things go from here.

*I will say, however, that I also agree with everyone who is saying that homophobia and other forms of bigotry are not positions that should be excused or defended as 'valid' or 'worthy of being heard out' as a rule, and if the author goes on to try and present being in support and 'opposed' of/to homosexuality as 'equal' then that really wouldn't sit well with me.
Feb 9, 2023 12:14 PM
May 2021
LordSilverFang said:
Ellroy said:

FuMomo-kun said:

So many people can't even grasp what Shingo was saying. It's sad how many people write him off.

This whole discussion is not about homosexuality in and of itself but rather what happens when two parties with differing values interact.

Shingo's argument of love was in regards to the emotional aspect of the word relating to satisfaction or the feeling of pleasure. It doesn't posses the same meaning or nuance as the term when used in relationships so in that regard his argument was completely logical. He's regarding a feeling when discussing love and hate. Saying they are neutral in and of themselves in terms of correctness.

This whole chapter was two girls emotionally and verbally beating up Kensuke like he physically hit Touma. Shingo pointed out that the girls were being hypocrites. They essentially did everything they hated on Kensuke for when you view the topic as one of a clashing of values.

Shingo did not condone Kensuke's actions. He specifically separated the specific instance in question with the fact that the girls were attacking Kensuke's very values as if they possessed a god-given sense of objectiveness and understood an absolute morality.

Shingo stepped up and made the argument that the women were unilaterally trying to shut Kensuke's belief system down. They weren't there to discuss, to understand, they simply wanted to get rid of someone who didn't agree with them. Quite frankly, the girls were simply virtue signaling as much as I hate to use the term. The way they made light of his molestation was just another sort of skeevy nod to the fact that they were just there to hear themselves talk. Or at least they didn't put much thought into it if they were being genuine. This is why Shingo flipped their argument on them, made them out to be hypocrites and essentially had them fleeing in defeat. What they were doing was useless and non-beneficial to the situation to put it bluntly.

If Kensuke thinks gays are gross. He's entitled to it. It's not 'wrong' to possess that feeling no matter how much you want to assert it because it doesn't suit your personal, regional, philosophical, political or religious framework.

If the girls think Kensuke is gross for feeling that way then they can also think that.

What happens when they meet each other? That's the issue at hand. Well, as Shingo pointed out, either you face it head on and try to resolve the issue despite having different values.This goes for all sorts of differing view points by default.

You bottle it up and go with the flow so as not to rock the boat.

Or you fuck off and stop associating with one another.

TLDR: My man Farmer Shingo was just telling the two donkeys to stop kicking the dog for being a dog and hating a cat. Whether or not he can make friends with the cat is their issue and trying to unilaterally write the dogs values as wrong while you sit on your pedestal is horseshit, unproductive and the way you make enemies.

As for The Tolerance Paradox. Whether or not you believe that is up to you but even if you do, it's not about the sort of situation being covered in this chapter. Popper even expresses how it would be unwise to suppress intolerant philosophies in and of itself. The whole theorem revolves more around an open-society in which there exists an imminent and present threat/promotion of violence in which the society itself is in danger. It's a last straw sort of option when the other party has resorted to illegal acts, refuses to harbor any discourse with opposing views and is essentially at the tipping point. It isn't about ideas, words and feelings you find distasteful in and of themselves. A lot of extremists on both the left and right seem to love to cite this.

So no, trying to destroy Kensuke for disagreeing with their values isn't ok by any stretch of the imagination. And Popper would have probably reacted like Shingo.

Of course this has nothing to do with how Kensuke actually handled the situation like a buffoon. As I cited earlier on, the actual topic of the chapter was something much more profound.

As for Kensuke's view on gender. That is a pretty common viewpoint tbh. There are differences between men and women whether we want to admit it or not and that was handled fairly respectfully by the author.

(Disagree? You're entitled to an opposing opinion. I'm gracious enough to let you have it. And civil enough to share a space. The real problem is those on either extreme who can't do this)

To quote Shingo"It's just my two cents". Have fun and goodbye folks. What a great chapter.
great summary to the chapter reading all the comments filled with bold statements such as homophobia really made me wonder if half the people even understood what went on in the chapter. Just finished the manga today and even though it's a low 8 at best I still think that some of the discussions the characters have in this manga are the most unique I've read or watched. If u have any other recommendations regarding similar manga I'm open to taking suggestions
Feb 21, 2023 6:40 PM

Jan 2022
Ahh this chapter was annoying.
Touma should not have to deal with this type of friends.
The author really thought he was smart with riduculous rant from Shingo.
TunetheGreatFeb 21, 2023 6:58 PM
Apr 26, 2023 7:25 AM
Aug 2020
This entire discussion thread is just like those two annoying girls lmao. You guys are just proving Shingo right.
Oct 16, 2023 8:19 PM
Oct 2020
Shingo's viewpoint was actually very interesting to me. I didn't even think of comparing the girls verbal beat down on Kensuke until he mentioned it.
Jan 4, 9:51 AM
Nov 2011
Shingo made some good points, in that entire discussion we got to see kensuke's point of view and how it led to his behavior now. He is in the wrong in this situation but The girls choosing to overly berate him after learning his experiences and beliefs were to far. You can even see in the panels how they are drawn with smug look on their faces and it depicts how many discussions often devolve to.

Shingo was somewhat out of pocket, but I largely see what he was doing. He played the field and hit those girls with a taste of there own medicine, he even states that Kensuke was in the wrong however they in a why acted in a similar fashion.

We also see how men and women often handle things through Kensuke, shouko, and saya. Men are usually very direct while women often handle things indirectly. The way the discussion went did spiral towards the end but it started out well and that is what I give this manga the characters are willing to talk things out to some degree.

Kensuke too has a point in men and women being different, simple fact is that we are very different from each other and how we handle each other. However that does not mean we cannot be friends or only see each other as objects of desire. Bottom line Shouko and Saya are correct in that Kensuke was in the wrong for starting that fight, despite his past trauma he should have kept himself in check. Shingo is right to call them out because they went from holding him accountable to berating him and mocking his traumatic experience instead of using that to understand him more and realize what he did was wrong.

Men and women claim we understand each other but we never account for someone's feelings, we just write them off and disregard them. I feel Kensuke embodies this most with how he treats Mami despite her telling him his faults.
Feb 15, 3:46 PM

Jul 2017
i think this was the best chapter in the manga, It's perfect at throwing you into confusion and making you understand that both parties are partly ''right''
i'm absolutely in love with this
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao no Flag Chapter 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Major_Gilbert - Apr 7, 2020

165 by shimijachan »»
Mar 26, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Ao no Flag Chapter 53 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 3, 2020

33 by Neemesis_2 »»
Feb 16, 12:53 PM

Poll: » Ao no Flag Chapter 52 Discussion

removed-user - Jan 29, 2020

4 by Neemesis_2 »»
Feb 16, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Ao no Flag Chapter 51 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Dec 17, 2019

7 by Neemesis_2 »»
Feb 16, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Ao no Flag Chapter 48 Discussion

alejandrina - Sep 10, 2019

12 by Neemesis_2 »»
Feb 15, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.