Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 13, 2019 9:49 PM

Aug 2013
Hi there,

i just wanted to encourage those who never touched a Manga. Firstly let me say that the Manga of this series is great. There are tons of great Manga out there similar to this one, if you like these kind of stories. Put up some music and start slow... and you'll enjoy it. If you have kids around they might also build a interest for reading in general. In short, you're slaying 2 birds with one shot. Try it out at least.

Once you got used to it, you should also try reading some novels. It's awesome.

Have a nice day.
May 22, 2019 1:33 PM
Oct 2013
I agree, the manga is so much better. I was actually looking forward to this anime version, but with every episode I get more disappointed by how they are butchering it. I rarely give a rating less than a 7, but I don't think this one is gonna anything higher than a 6 right now.
May 22, 2019 4:29 PM
Aug 2018
One of the few times i would say the manga actually eclipsed the anime, I kinda regret reading the manga first cause I probably would have enjoyed the anime better then switched over to the manga and enjoyed it even more....
May 22, 2019 5:01 PM

Feb 2019
This show would have done well with a 2 cour but they went with 1 cour so it's understandable that lot's of details are being cut

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 22, 2019 5:15 PM

Jul 2016
Completely agree with OP, and the anime is going on a "silly" route.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

May 22, 2019 5:18 PM
Apr 2019
Luna_Estlin said:
This show would have done well with a 2 cour but they went with 1 cour so it's understandable that lot's of details are being cut

People are way overreacting, they aren’t really cutting that much and anime follows the manga quite well
May 22, 2019 5:20 PM
Aug 2018
Luna_Estlin said:

Technically its adapting the LN so we should consider manga and anime as separate adaptions, so i guess its unfair to say its cutting things out even though as a manga reader im also disappointed.
May 22, 2019 5:23 PM

Jul 2016
DjangoUnchained2 said:
Luna_Estlin said:

Technically its adapting the LN so we should consider manga and anime as separate adaptions, so i guess its unfair to say its cutting things out even though as a manga reader im also disappointed.

But usually manga adaptations are more accurate, cuz the author is the one giving the script, the artist only draws(there are exceptions.).

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

May 22, 2019 6:02 PM
Feb 2018
This anime is suffering from slime sindrome. It is fun, but fails to delivery a good experience when it need to be more serious. Also the animation is a little bad.
May 22, 2019 6:08 PM
Aug 2018
emolano said:
This anime is suffering from slime sindrome. It is fun, but fails to delivery a good experience when it need to be more serious. Also the animation is a little bad.

The anime and the manga too suffer a bit of tonal shift deficiency, the transitions between serious and comedy time is very poorly done but LN readers I know say that the tone is primarily light hearted/slice of life and it doesn't really focus on the heavy stuff. For example in the manga theirs a part about a corrupt bishop that is given a lot of emphasis while in the LN it was hardly that big of an plot point and is quickly glossed over.
May 23, 2019 12:07 AM

Jan 2017
Yeap read the manga. I am pretty sure y'all will enjoy it from first page to last page.
May 23, 2019 12:09 AM

Aug 2016
Hey, I‘ve already touched a few manga
~ not innocent/pure anymore
May 23, 2019 12:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
If you're going to recommend people to pick up the source, at least do it correctly and tell them to read the light novel instead
May 23, 2019 1:05 AM
Apr 2019
HaXXspetten said:
If you're going to recommend people to pick up the source, at least do it correctly and tell them to read the light novel instead

is there pictures/animation in the light novel?
May 23, 2019 1:21 AM

Aug 2013
HaXXspetten said:

I guess that highly depends on people some prefer to start reading manga first and go with novels later on like in my case. And I also recommended Novels in my post :). There are some really awesome novels out there.

For those who want to start with novels right of the bat, I'd recommend something easy going first like Spice and Wolf, which is one of the best novels I've ever read.
May 23, 2019 2:29 AM
Apr 2019
The anime has made some cuts here and there but I think the additions they have made have been awesome. Such as the bidet scene, that part where lyn busted up all those wolves and they stacked like pancakes was pure comedic gold. Siegfried flirting with Maria, the girls getting afros because they went overboard with their magic. The scene in the middle of nowhere when they are training and they mess up their coordination showing that while they are getting stronger they still have a lot of room to grow.
May 23, 2019 3:01 AM

Sep 2009
It always bothers me when people suggest reading the manga while the primal source are web/light novels. Web novel is translated up to vol. 5 if I remember right and you can read it instead.
Nachtwandler_21May 23, 2019 6:20 AM
May 23, 2019 3:07 AM

Aug 2013
Nachtwandler_21 said:
It always bothers me when people suggest reading the manga while the primal source are wb/light novels. Web novel is translated up to vol. 5 if I remember right and you can read it instead.

Well, good for you that you didn't had a reason to get bothered here... unless you didn't read anything and come up with your own conclusions of course.
May 23, 2019 4:11 AM

May 2018
Does it have more boobs close-ups than the anime? If not, then I am not interested.
May 23, 2019 4:18 AM

Aug 2013
Only_Brad said:
Does it have more boobs close-ups than the anime? If not, then I am not interested.

I can't remember honestly but I think there aren't ecchi things in there. Not sure why but anime adaptions are always kind of lewd even though the manga is pretty much normal. But if you like these kind of stories, there are indeed a lot of manga with a bunch of ecchi material. You'd probably enjoy it.
May 23, 2019 6:23 AM

Sep 2009
ZeroNation said:

Well, good for you that you didn't had a reason to get bothered here... unless you didn't read anything and come up with your own conclusions of course.

Ok. I missed your last sentence, sorry.

It is just that people to often recommend reading manga even if books are available on English. So I am trigger every time I see such topic. I do not think people are that tired of reading to start with manga first.

May 23, 2019 1:29 PM

Nov 2010
The series is so cringy now that I can hear the dialogue. It wasn't so bad in the manga.
May 23, 2019 3:55 PM
Aug 2018
Rinji- said:
The series is so cringy now that I can hear the dialogue. It wasn't so bad in the manga.

The lack of a proper tonal shift is not as obvious in manga format but in the anime, to say that it stands out like an elephant in the room would be a huge understatement. You would think the production company would notice the weakness and address it but I think they just didn’t care. It will probably still have good sales regardless.....
May 23, 2019 3:58 PM

Aug 2017
I personally don’t like reading manga. I’d rather watch the anime.
"Whether doing good or evil, I will be the boss."

May 24, 2019 8:47 AM

Aug 2013
MakoChoppo said:
I personally don’t like reading manga. I’d rather watch the anime.

Well, that's good for you but there was no need to announce it :D I mean this thread was supposed to be just for people who have some interest regarding manga and novels.
May 25, 2019 5:59 AM

Nov 2017
Light Novel Volume 10 will be on sale at the end of next month. Manga is good too, but LN is also selling well at Japan.
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
May 25, 2019 6:06 AM

Nov 2017
DjangoUnchained2 said:
emolano said:

The anime and the manga too suffer a bit of tonal shift deficiency, the transitions between serious and comedy time is very poorly done but LN readers I know say that the tone is primarily light hearted/slice of life and it doesn't really focus on the heavy stuff. For example in the manga theirs a part about a corrupt bishop that is given a lot of emphasis while in the LN it was hardly that big of an plot point and is quickly glossed over.
Well, sudden tonal shifts are common in anime, maybe due to the unique Japanese culture. For example, in Bleach, in the middle of a serious fight against Aizen, Yoruichi made some jokes.
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
May 25, 2019 6:08 AM

Nov 2017
Nachtwandler_21 said:
It always bothers me when people suggest reading the manga while the primal source are web/light novels. Web novel is translated up to vol. 5 if I remember right and you can read it instead.
At NovelUpdates the LN has been translated till Vol 7.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

279 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 22, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

96 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 18, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2019

107 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

129 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

77 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 14, 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.