Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime usually have such poor worldbuilding?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 27, 2019 8:50 AM

Mar 2016
For the same reason Hollywood companies keeps betting in cgi explosions in 2018/2019. They thing that's what people want and cut everything else. All I want is characters and worldbuilding.
Feb 27, 2019 8:57 AM
Feb 2018
KreatorX said:
MauledDivine said:
Re:Zero has some of the best world building ever. Much better than Made in Abyss imo. It's just more subtle. So far let me name some pretty big things that have been explained that ya may have missed.
Flugels Tree
Kararagi Empire
Literally the entire history of Lugunica
The Witches
The way the merchants operate in this world.
The dragon
The Alstrea family
The white whale
The witch cult
Beatrice Library

All of these and probably dozens more contribute to the world of ReZero. Each one is very significant and has a long history that contributes to the story. Sure the anime just mentioned some of these without more inspection. But it's only on its first season. I mean Rezero has it's own alphabet for God's sake. And the spells have their own rules and structure for saying them. It's not just saying some generic cool sounding term like in sds.

True, but all of those come later in the novels. The first season didn't delve into that and nor do we know the full story behind them. The season's main target was to setup one of its main characters (Subaru), and then hint at setting up the other (Emilia) at the very end.

In short, not saying there wasn't any but if you dig through the subtleties in the first season alone, more questions were raised than answers. This has mostly to do with the author being advised to shift the world building to later volumes by his editor. So OP's statement of 'lack' of worldbuilding is true up to this point.

I completely disagree with this assessment. These are all parts of the world that are sprinkled in subtlety. Just because they aren't answered within 25 episodes doesn't mean there's a lack of world building. The fact that many of these things show up in the first season allow them to be further expanded upon and set up for future seasons. They give the world a feeling of having lore even if it isn't explained. There's just a sense that the world Subaru lives in, is an actual world with actual history. That's world building. Whether we know everything about it or not is irrelevant. Even if no further season is made at all. ReZero still has plentiful world building. Because there are still things within this world that exist and function independently of the protagonist. There's still hints at a past history.
Feb 27, 2019 8:59 AM
Jul 2018

Second, to paraphrase Brandon Sanderson, there are generally three main aspects to a story: character, plot, and setting/world. If you have to sacrifice one to have more time to make the other two better, sacrificing/dumbing down on the setting is usually the safer choice. You can still have a successful story.

Case in point, Harry Potter. Surprised? Good world-building does not always mean interesting setting. It just means that the world is consistent with its own rules and everything can make sense in light of everything else. Harry Potter isn't. As one fan puts it:

(https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/aldjqh/what_kind_of_teenage_bullshit_probably_happened/efedpqc/)

Rowling didn't do much worldbuilding before writing the first book, and even as the series went on the world grew organically based on the needs of the characters in the book, without too much thought on how it would affect the wider wizarding world.

So something like a timeturner made some sense for Hermione in the context of the book, but was enormously problematic for the wider world and were quietly forgotten about until they were "all" destroyed in a later book.

Whatever the magical system that enables the Ministry see what all underages do when not at Hogwarts makes sense for Harry's relationship with the Dursleys, that system mysteriously disappears when it comes to the Ministry being able to detect the mass use of very illegal spells by underground Death Eater organizations because that would make for a shorter series.

Rowling started out writing a relatively lighthearted coming of age story about kids at a magic British boarding school, and had to change it over time into the epic fantasy series it ended up becoming

The question now is, are you, @DrakoWiz, actually asking for good world-building or just interesting settings? Because you're probably not going to like my answer if it's just the former.

My answer would be Log Horizon, an MMORPG isekai. Why? Because it creatively uses MMORPG mechanics.

MMORPG mechanics allow for a pretty strong backbone in constructing a hard magic system. In fact, it’s one of the easiest ways of establishing a hard magic system, really.

Hard magic systems, as opposed to soft magic systems, have clearly defined rules so that the reader can understand and predict them, in accordance with Brandon Sanderson’s first of three laws of magic: “An author's ability to solve conflict with magic is directly proportional to how well the reader understands said magic.”

This allows the reader/viewer to participate in the storytelling because the reader/viewer now has a clearer idea of what the characters can do and if he/she is quick enough, he/she can predict what the characters could and would do based on their capabilities. Quick, what does an MMORPG offers you? It offers relatively clearer defined rules that you could understand if you play RPGs or reading the basic straight-forward rules of the game genre.

This also puts the onus of solving problems not on the magic itself but on the character and how he/she utilizes said magic spell. The series, for example, has a character use a barrier spell as impromptu stairs and another character use a bind/root spell as a high damage whip. The spell is Thorn Bind Hostage. It wraps the target in five thorny vines and every vine an ally of the caster cuts deal 1000 HP worth of damage. The spell is a support spell for a squishy support character who's weak in direct combat. But now that they're not in a game anymore, what if someone uses that vine as a whip? Well, now you have a 1000 HP per hit vine, turning said support character into a fearsome damage dealer.

It also clears Sanderson's Second Law of Magic: "The limitations of a magic system are more interesting than its capabilities. What the magic can't do is more interesting than what it can."

One, their magic is limited by mana and by what the magic were specifically designed to do when they were in a game and not in an alternate reality that matches the game. They can't just pull out a new magic. They have to repurpose their preset magic spells; as I pointed above.

The other limitation is the fact that in a typical MMORPG, players are divided into several unique classes, each with its own strengths, weaknesses, and gameplay. This allows players to find and excel in the playstyle they favor. It also means that they can't do everything. Each one can do a couple of things really well. They have to work together because they can't accomplish a lot of the things the game/world expects them to accomplish by going at it alone. The very nature of RPG classes restricts and limits them.

Then we have Sanderson's Third Law of Magic: "Expand on what you have already, before you add something new. A brilliant magic system for a book is less often one with a thousand different powers and abilities -- and is more often a magic system with relatively few powers that the author has considered in depth."

Here's more exploration of the Third Law (and anyone who has completed Season 1 of Log Horizon can attest to how the series does the things mentioned here):

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Sanderson%27s_Laws_of_Magic

Extrapolation

It is important to consider the effects that a magic will have on a world. If for example your magic can create food out of thin air, what will that cause, what will happen? How will it affect trade, politics, warfare, education and social norms? Asking these questions and working out what effects your magic system will add depth to your world.

Interconnection

Another important point is to interconnected. Try to make the powers of a character seem like a coherent whole rather than separate abilities. In Mistborn, for example, magics were designed to be what thieves would want and then the powers named accordingly. Tying your powers together thematically is an important part of worldbuilding and expands the world, rather than adding to it.

Streamlining

Streamlining is also important in any magic system. Combining pre-existing magics and powers is often better than adding new ones. A different culture reacting to a magic entirely differently than what has been shown so far, is often better than a culture with its own unrelated magic system. For example: a simple heat-generating magic may be used by different cultures in very different ways. A warlike culture might use it for assault or for forging weapons, a peaceful one for heating and preparing food, for merchants for making products, nomads for powering transportation and so on.

Remember, however, not to streamline too far as that will make the single culture or character seem too packed and might decrease their plausibility.
[/quote]
Thank you VERY VERY MUCH for the detailed answer. I feel I got a lot from this, kudos mate!

And I guess I did not formulate myself well. I do not mind unique concepts or generic worlds, if they WORK together as you said. The MMORPG battle system can work if the world is set in a game, but I hate it when the authors just use MMORPG magic systems in worlds which are supposed to not have anything game related to them, if you get what I mean. It's just laziness from the author's side. For example I like the battle systems in HxH and FMAB, cause they are all connected and play a fundamental part of the settings whole world.
Feb 27, 2019 9:00 AM
Apr 2016
2ego said:
Striker-3649 said:
sure the "district or region" is fleshed out very well but we are talking about "world building" here, we literally havent heard anything at all from rest of the world even in manga, all of top 100000000 (lol) heroes as well as every villain ever exists in just one city (?) thats not what you call a good "world building".

Yes totally fucking find an anime that shows EVERY part of the world, that's not worldbuilding, the sole city in mha is easily taken as THE WORLD, since if that's how it is in the city - it is in the world, this implies to EVERY this type of anime.
i am not implying that every anime should show what is happening in every other corner of the world but atleast pretend the rest of the world exists like you gave the example of naruto, the story revolves around just 1 village but we know there exists other countries and there is even a while continent of samurai's but in mha the sun the moon everything is in one fucking city and thats stupid.
Feb 27, 2019 9:01 AM

May 2013
MauledDivine said:
KreatorX said:

True, but all of those come later in the novels. The first season didn't delve into that and nor do we know the full story behind them. The season's main target was to setup one of its main characters (Subaru), and then hint at setting up the other (Emilia) at the very end.

In short, not saying there wasn't any but if you dig through the subtleties in the first season alone, more questions were raised than answers. This has mostly to do with the author being advised to shift the world building to later volumes by his editor. So OP's statement of 'lack' of worldbuilding is true up to this point.

I completely disagree with this assessment. These are all parts of the world that are sprinkled in subtlety. Just because they aren't answered within 25 episodes doesn't mean there's a lack of world building. The fact that many of these things show up in the first season allow them to be further expanded upon and set up for future seasons. They give the world a feeling of having lore even if it isn't explained. There's just a sense that the world Subaru lives in, is an actual world with actual history. That's world building. Whether we know everything about it or not is irrelevant. Even if no further season is made at all. ReZero still has plentiful world building. Because there are still things within this world that exist and function independently of the protagonist. There's still hints at a past history.

You misunderstood my post. I never said there wasn't any worldbuilding in the series. The novels do the world-building, emphasis on the word -> building<- .

Yes, the world feels vast but I am not talking about 'feelings' here, mind you.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 27, 2019 9:47 AM
Feb 2018
KreatorX said:
MauledDivine said:

You misunderstood my post. I never said there wasn't any worldbuilding in the series. The novels do the world-building, emphasis on the word -> building<- .

You literally agreed with OP about the lack of world building. Anyways world building is all about the construction of a fictional world in order to make it feel like real world with different qualities. So yes world building is all about how you feel. You need to be able to feel that the world the character is in is realistic in respect to it's own laws and isn't just some pretty fictional setting. As I stated even without dwelling into the novels there's plenty of things within the anime itself that set up the world around Subaru. Mind you that it doesn't go into much depth but that itself is irrelevant. You can create a fictional world without going too far in depth into everything. Darksouls comes to mind. A lot of things within darksouls come down to personal hypothesis, yet no one would say it's world isn't built well. World building is about creating a world that feels independent of a protagonist. ReZero does this, independent of the novels.
Feb 27, 2019 9:50 AM
Apr 2016
Striker-3649 said:
2ego said:

Yes totally fucking find an anime that shows EVERY part of the world, that's not worldbuilding, the sole city in mha is easily taken as THE WORLD, since if that's how it is in the city - it is in the world, this implies to EVERY this type of anime.
i am not implying that every anime should show what is happening in every other corner of the world but atleast pretend the rest of the world exists like you gave the example of naruto, the story revolves around just 1 village but we know there exists other countries and there is even a while continent of samurai's but in mha the sun the moon everything is in one fucking city and thats stupid.

I am positive they said ALL around the world people gained quirks, while the main association is in the MAIN, THAT city, meaning only that city is relevant. Why would they attempt to expand their world if it would only make it messier, if they did it, they would be obligated to create parts revolving the expanded world-- that's irrelevant.
Feb 27, 2019 9:50 AM
Oct 2018
Tokyo Ghoul arguably has the best worldbuilding IMO.
Feb 27, 2019 10:10 AM
Apr 2016
2ego said:
Striker-3649 said:

I am positive they said ALL around the world people gained quirks, while the main association is in the MAIN, THAT city, meaning only that city is relevant. Why would they attempt to expand their world if it would only make it messier, if they did it, they would be obligated to create parts revolving the expanded world-- that's irrelevant.
from what i understand keeping the story in a single classroom isnt worldbuilding, sure they mentioned 80% of world population gained quirks and thats where they got it wrong, if u mention it this clearly then why the hell every event ever just happens in a single classroom? Take durarara for example, thats the kind of world building (kinda) that mha tried but failed horribly.
Feb 27, 2019 10:49 AM

May 2009
DrakoWiz said:
If I have to suffer through another insert generic fantasy MMORPG inspired setting ala Goblin Slayer, Shield Hero, Isekai Smartphone, Re;Zero, TenSura, Konosuba, and so on, I'll go crazy!

Here you got a medium which on paper you can write about absolutely freaking EVERYTHING, and still most of the authors prefer to stick to their copy paste generic fantasy RPG world with zero to no effort. It's not even the case that they can't do it if they try! Look at Spice & Wolf, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, or even Zero no Tsukaima. All of which feature some kind of distinct attempt of lore and worldbuilding going on, which doesn't boil down to insert stupid gaming mechanics or terminology and be done!

It's not even the case only with Light Novels, modern shounen series also suffer from it!We went from Naruto One Piece and Bleach to MyHeroAcademia, Fairy Tail, and Black Clover!

PROVE ME WRONG!
Am I the only one who is annoyed at this?
If you don't like "generic fantasy MMORPG inspired settings", then...stop watching them?

I mean, why are you "suffering through" them? Is someone tying you to a chair and forcing you to watch them?

(also they're more likely based on RPGs than MMORPGs)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 27, 2019 11:04 AM

May 2009
And I guess I'll take the other part of the bait and bite.

Fantasy shows whose worldbuilding I enjoyed:

* Magic Knight Rayearth - an isekai story that's most definitely not part of the recent fad, given how old it is. It's also perhaps most notable for what happens at the end of the story.

* Chaika the Coffin Princess - You are an out-of-work mercenary, scratching the barrel to find money for food in a time of peace following a war. Some weirdo claiming to be the daughter of the defeated villain king contracts you. Some good guys are after you. Are the good guys really that good? And to start things off, you kill a unicorn that is hell bent on killing you.

* The Tower of Druaga - For this show they took an old, old arcade game with barely any plot, and built almost an entire new world around it. The dumb idealistic hero character is actually mocked for it as the world turns out to be a lot more complicated than he thought. There are at least four sides to the conflict, and multiple characters frequently keep their cards close to their chest through multiple instances of intrigue. Classic RPG character class concepts have a number of new twists placed on them -- including a wizard whose spells are cast using magical golf clubs. (Oh, and his caddy is actually a useful party member.)

FWIW, I specifically picked stuff that differed from the standard. Because, for many people, "poor"/"bad"/etc. simply means "I've seen this done before", and this thread seems no different.
Feb 27, 2019 11:12 AM

Aug 2010
i would argue that not all series need world building to begin with, but of course many would greatly benefit from it. Especially in the fantasy genre.

I think a lot of manga and light novel authors are just bad writers honestly. Theyre just fanboys of anime/manga they consumed when they were kids and then when they got older, they just make knock off versions of the stuff they liked as children. But often, they dont fully understand what made those older series work and only remembers the big flashy or emotional moments. Example would be all of DBS honestly but especially how we keep getting new forms but never with any tension making everything the show has to offer feel flat.
World Building is typically subtle, so i imagine a lot of the scrubby writers never ever consider it
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Feb 27, 2019 11:24 AM

May 2013
MauledDivine said:
KreatorX said:

You literally agreed with OP about the lack of world building. Anyways world building is all about the construction of a fictional world in order to make it feel like real world with different qualities. So yes world building is all about how you feel. You need to be able to feel that the world the character is in is realistic in respect to it's own laws and isn't just some pretty fictional setting. As I stated even without dwelling into the novels there's plenty of things within the anime itself that set up the world around Subaru. Mind you that it doesn't go into much depth but that itself is irrelevant. You can create a fictional world without going too far in depth into everything. Darksouls comes to mind. A lot of things within darksouls come down to personal hypothesis, yet no one would say it's world isn't built well. World building is about creating a world that feels independent of a protagonist. ReZero does this, independent of the novels.

Alright, the discussion is getting pretty semantic. The reason I left out "feeling" is because then it quickly veers into subjective territory.

I can feel plenty of things within something such as Need for Speed or Dirt 3 given its sprawling locales and exotic locations and or rise of street racers and cops armed with hi-tech cars. The comparison with Dark Souls wouldn't hold well with Re-Zero since that game literally allows you to explore and interact as much as possible, and I compare that with reading more of the novels for Re-Zero. Not from the perspective of a protagonist but from the perspective of a viewer/gamer.

Lastly if my earlier post wasn't clear, I should have phrased better. OP said the world-building was poor. He didn't say the world building was non-existent. It wasn't to his liking. I can easily say it to his/her face that the world building really takes off in the novels but he posted this in an anime discussion section, so I restrict my judgement to the anime only. The first season adds a lot of hidden details and lore here and there (which I picked up on repeated viewings, because I like the show), however the context isn't known until later.
KreatorXFeb 27, 2019 11:41 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 27, 2019 11:29 AM

May 2016
Now and Then, Here and There does a fantastic job of worldbuilding, aside from the awkward linguistic question of how Shu and Sara understand each other, let alone everyone else understanding them.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Feb 27, 2019 11:34 AM
Apr 2016
Striker-3649 said:
2ego said:

from what i understand keeping the story in a single classroom isnt worldbuilding, sure they mentioned 80% of world population gained quirks and thats where they got it wrong, if u mention it this clearly then why the hell every event ever just happens in a single classroom? Take durarara for example, thats the kind of world building (kinda) that mha tried but failed horribly.

What are you talking about? The thing is MHA didn't try to make a giant worldbuilding, that's why it was objectively impossible for it to fail, so, your point is a fallacy. In second season if I'm correct, they shew more parts, other Heroes, remember MHA is far from done, meaning it COULD potentially still have plans for the bigger world.
Feb 27, 2019 11:41 AM
Apr 2016
2ego said:
Striker-3649 said:

What are you talking about? The thing is MHA didn't try to make a giant worldbuilding, that's why it was objectively impossible for it to fail, so, your point is a fallacy. In second season if I'm correct, they shew more parts, other Heroes, remember MHA is far from done, meaning it COULD potentially still have plans for the bigger world.
last time i heard the author said the manga is halfway done so i am not seeing any "world building" besides UA coz i dont think the author is as good as oda or togashi, imo mha has one of the worst if not the worst world building in the genre, all i can do is hope for the best.
Feb 27, 2019 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DrakoWiz said:
If I have to suffer through another insert generic fantasy MMORPG inspired setting ala Goblin Slayer, Shield Hero, Isekai Smartphone, Re;Zero, TenSura, Konosuba, and so on, I'll go crazy!

Here you got a medium which on paper you can write about absolutely freaking EVERYTHING, and still most of the authors prefer to stick to their copy paste generic fantasy RPG world with zero to no effort. It's not even the case that they can't do it if they try! Look at Spice & Wolf, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, or even Zero no Tsukaima. All of which feature some kind of distinct attempt of lore and worldbuilding going on, which doesn't boil down to insert stupid gaming mechanics or terminology and be done!

It's not even the case only with Light Novels, modern shounen series also suffer from it!We went from Naruto One Piece and Bleach to MyHeroAcademia, Fairy Tail, and Black Clover!

PROVE ME WRONG!
If you don't like "generic fantasy MMORPG inspired settings", then...stop watching them?

I mean, why are you "suffering through" them? Is someone tying you to a chair and forcing you to watch them?

(also they're more likely based on RPGs than MMORPGs)

GlennMagusHarvey said:
And I guess I'll take the other part of the bait and bite.

Fantasy shows whose worldbuilding I enjoyed:

* Magic Knight Rayearth - an isekai story that's most definitely not part of the recent fad, given how old it is. It's also perhaps most notable for what happens at the end of the story.

* Chaika the Coffin Princess - You are an out-of-work mercenary, scratching the barrel to find money for food in a time of peace following a war. Some weirdo claiming to be the daughter of the defeated villain king contracts you. Some good guys are after you. Are the good guys really that good? And to start things off, you kill a unicorn that is hell bent on killing you.

* The Tower of Druaga - For this show they took an old, old arcade game with barely any plot, and built almost an entire new world around it. The dumb idealistic hero character is actually mocked for it as the world turns out to be a lot more complicated than he thought. There are at least four sides to the conflict, and multiple characters frequently keep their cards close to their chest through multiple instances of intrigue. Classic RPG character class concepts have a number of new twists placed on them -- including a wizard whose spells are cast using magical golf clubs. (Oh, and his caddy is actually a useful party member.)

FWIW, I specifically picked stuff that differed from the standard. Because, for many people, "poor"/"bad"/etc. simply means "I've seen this done before", and this thread seems no different.

Simple, I'm a masochist bby. Thancks for the recs btw.

Striker-3649 said:
2ego said:

last time i heard the author said the manga is halfway done so i am not seeing any "world building" besides UA coz i dont think the author is as good as oda or togashi, imo mha has one of the worst if not the worst world building in the genre, all i can do is hope for the best.

I second this. MHA doesn't have any worldbuilding going on because it isn't set in an another world. It's just our world but where 80% of the population has superpowers. You wanna know other shows that did this better? OPM, Scryed, Needless, Darker than Black, Deadman Wonderland.
The setting is also extremely limited to only Japan for some unexplained reason. It has an urban setting, like most superhero comics, so it doesn't need to have worldbuilding.
removed-userFeb 27, 2019 11:49 AM
Feb 27, 2019 12:05 PM
Apr 2016
Striker-3649 said:
2ego said:

Seems like you have the mindset "It's bad, whatever happens, it's bad," and because of that, you fail to see good in the show. Half way done, huh? Look at the quantity of episodes, and that's ONLY the anime, THERE'S A LOT...there's a lot of room left for more stuff. The worldbuilding really isn't bad, seems like your judgment is really clouded.
Feb 27, 2019 12:14 PM
Apr 2016
2ego said:
Striker-3649 said:

Seems like you have the mindset "It's bad, whatever happens, it's bad," and because of that, you fail to see good in the show. Half way done, huh? Look at the quantity of episodes, and that's ONLY the anime, THERE'S A LOT...there's a lot of room left for more stuff. The worldbuilding really isn't bad, seems like your judgment is really clouded.
have a look at my score for mha i didnt say the anime itself is bad its fun to watch the characters are likable etc coz yeah world building isnt everything take overlord, great world building but not so much fun to watch its just when you said mha has good world building i had to disagree.
Feb 27, 2019 12:36 PM
Apr 2016
Striker-3649 said:
2ego said:

have a look at my score for mha i didnt say the anime itself is bad its fun to watch the characters are likable etc coz yeah world building isnt everything take overlord, great world building but not so much fun to watch its just when you said mha has good world building i had to disagree.

Well, I guess it's a little subjective, I find that worldbuilding really interesting, it was intriguing, for me. But yeah, comparing MHA's worldbuilding to Naruto, One Piece, etc...MHA stands no chance.
Feb 27, 2019 12:44 PM
Feb 2009
Honestly,
reading the answers here, it seems good world building is really really subjective
unless most people just spammed their favourite anime here
Feb 27, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2018
KreatorX said:
MauledDivine said:
Re:Zero has some of the best world building ever. Much better than Made in Abyss imo. It's just more subtle. So far let me name some pretty big things that have been explained that ya may have missed.
Flugels Tree
Kararagi Empire
Literally the entire history of Lugunica
The Witches
The way the merchants operate in this world.
The dragon
The Alstrea family
The white whale
The witch cult
Beatrice Library

All of these and probably dozens more contribute to the world of ReZero. Each one is very significant and has a long history that contributes to the story. Sure the anime just mentioned some of these without more inspection. But it's only on its first season. I mean Rezero has it's own alphabet for God's sake. And the spells have their own rules and structure for saying them. It's not just saying some generic cool sounding term like in sds.

"This has mostly to do with the author being advised to shift the world building to later volumes by his editor."
Where did u here that?
As far as I know re:zero is a web novel later converted into a light novel, so the author literally had no editor who could advice him about anything.
And anyway I don't really get what ur saying, Re:zero world building seems pretty solid for being only the beggining of the story, of course u can't judge its worldbuilding like it's the entire product, but u have to take into account how much of the story u've been shown.

On the main topic: it seems to me that op doesn't really know what world building actually means
vhagar8Feb 27, 2019 1:13 PM
Feb 27, 2019 1:11 PM

Dec 2012
Probably because world-building requires time and most anime only get around 13 episodes which unless the staff is pretty good that isn't usually enough time to do a great job of world building. Some adaptations cut some world-building that was in the source in favor of other things too because of limited time.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 27, 2019 1:42 PM

Nov 2018
anime is trash and so am I
if you want good world building there are shows that exist with good world building (Land of the Lustrous), alas it appears the general public decides to focus more on having fun and enjoying themselves instead of overthinking about how an anime world is similar to another.

also, including KonoSuba in that list of yours discredits anything else you ever have to say ever
LoonitickFeb 27, 2019 1:51 PM
Feb 27, 2019 2:06 PM
Jul 2018
vhagar8 said:
KreatorX said:

"This has mostly to do with the author being advised to shift the world building to later volumes by his editor."
Where did u here that?
As far as I know re:zero is a web novel later converted into a light novel, so the author literally had no editor who could advice him about anything.
And anyway I don't really get what ur saying, Re:zero world building seems pretty solid for being only the beggining of the story, of course u can't judge its worldbuilding like it's the entire product, but u have to take into account how much of the story u've been shown.

On the main topic: it seems to me that op doesn't really know what world building actually means

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldbuilding
I read this so I do have a basic understanding, please enlighten me in depth if you could tho?

Bozzzz said:
Honestly,
reading the answers here, it seems good world building is really really subjective

Half did, the other half got triggered cause I called their fave anime generic.

Loonitick said:
anime is trash and so am I
if you want good world building there are shows that exist with good world building (Land of the Lustrous), alas it appears the general public decides to focus more on having fun and enjoying themselves instead of overthinking about how an anime world is similar to another.

also, including KonoSuba in that list of yours discredits anything else you ever have to say ever

Thanks for the rec. How so, wow? You people ever heard of Slayers?
It is the same thing Konosuba is, but 20 years ago. It isn't so hard for worldbuilding and comedy to coexist you know. Ever heard of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"!
removed-userFeb 27, 2019 2:13 PM
Feb 27, 2019 2:11 PM

May 2009
Kruszer said:
Probably because world-building requires time and most anime only get around 13 episodes which unless the staff is pretty good that isn't usually enough time to do a great job of world building. Some adaptations cut some world-building that was in the source in favor of other things too because of limited time.
OH GOSH SO MUCH THIS

I've said for a while now that 2+ cour anime series can tell better stories and flesh out their settings more effectively than 1 cour series. It really disappoints me how the standard these days is 1 cour.
Feb 27, 2019 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
Bones taught me that the requirement for anime is a well thought character design so it would'nt be called anime if they gave so much thoughts into anything else
Feb 27, 2019 2:17 PM

Dec 2018
DrakoWiz said:

PROVE ME WRONG!

Konosuba is extremely generic, but it’s intentional. It’s a parody so it’s mimicing things for the sake of comedy. Not everyone’s taste but it does what it tries to well.

You acknowledged the excellent world building in naruto and one piece though which is what I came here to bring up so, I respect your taste senpai.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 27, 2019 2:19 PM

Aug 2015
To be fair Black Clover has decent especially in the manga.
My Hero Academia has barely any competent worldbuilding to speak off.
Feb 27, 2019 2:20 PM

Apr 2018
DrakoWiz said:
vhagar8 said:

Where did u here that?

I read this so I do have a basic understanding, please enlighten me in depth if you could tho?

Bozzzz said:
Honestly,

U spammed words like "generic" and "copy-paste" that has absolutely nothing to do with world building so your understanding doesn't even seem basic to me.
Original setting =/= good world building.
World building is about coherence and details, whenever the setting is original or not means shit if your looking at world building alone.
Feb 27, 2019 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
vhagar8 said:
DrakoWiz said:

U spammed words like "generic" and "copy-paste" that has absolutely nothing to do with world building so your understanding doesn't even seem basic to me.
World building is about coherence and details, whenever the setting is original or not means shit if your looking at world building alone.

Yes, read most of my comments in this thread, we already came to an understanding regarding that. I do not mind generic settings if they are used well, and make sense. Most don't tho, so what world building could I expect from them? A mediocre one at best.
Feb 27, 2019 2:28 PM

May 2013
vhagar8 said:
KreatorX said:

Where did u here that?

Look, for starters, might as well define what is the general accepted definition of world-building before getting into it. I am the least bit interested in prolonged discussions that lead to people not getting the point across due to mere semantic confusion. Because I might have my definitions wrong as I simply don't relate world-building to feeling, as I can feel 10 different things from a piece of wood lying on a fresh patch of grass outside my kitchen.

Hyperbole aside, no where have I even mentioned that Re-Zero is sorely lacking in its world-building component when viewed as a whole. There is plenty of tiny details scattered in the first season. However, context to those details matters, at the very least to make sense of why things are in such a way, and Re-zero introduces that later on. The focus of the first season was to establish the characters first and foremost.

As for the light novel, the author introduced the manuscript to his editor, who suggested him to push back the world-building and lore elements to its later arcs (which Tappei wanted to get into first). The editor suggested him to get the readers engaged with the characters and then focus on the lore. Source was from a crunchyroll interview.
KreatorXFeb 27, 2019 2:47 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 27, 2019 2:33 PM
Apr 2016
I think most authors mainly try to focus on character-development and plot-driven stories. I think that's the main problem I have with most anime anyway. A lot of the worlds they build are generic carbon copies of dragon quest or set in a school.

Some anime I recommend are:

Made in Abyss: probably the best example of fantasy world-building. I enjoy how it's not really plot-driven but about exploration.

Kekkai Sensen: The first season is probably the best example of a modern-city in anime. It helps that there are zany Sci-fi elements like aliens and people co-existing in a weird way. Much better to me than most anime where there's elves or goblins everywhere you look. Also, The little details that were put into the animation really brought the city to life in the first season.

Mushishi: It's been a long time since I've watched it but the mushi were really unique.
Feb 27, 2019 2:43 PM

Apr 2018
DrakoWiz said:
vhagar8 said:

Yes, read most of my comments in this thread, we already came to an understanding regarding that. I do not mind generic settings if they are used well, and make sense. Most don't tho, so what world building could I expect from them? A mediocre one at best.

If u don't mind generic setting, why is it that half of your complains are about "being generic"?
Ur just conveniently changing your complains when someone points out they don't make sense.
Anyway I was just pointing out your bad use of the word "world building", whenever u wanna argue if the world building are good, mediocre or bad that's another matter.
But I'll need more than "they're mediocre at best" if u wanna argue over that.
Gonna check the whole topic to see if I'll find something that looks like an actual argument somewhere.
Feb 27, 2019 2:58 PM

Apr 2018
KreatorX said:
vhagar8 said:

Where did u here that?

Look, for starters, might as well define what is the general accepted definition of world-building before getting into it. I am the least bit interested in prolonged discussions that lead to people not getting the point across due to mere semantic confusion. Because I might have my definitions wrong as I simply don't relate world-building to feeling, as I can feel 10 different things from a piece of wood lying on a fresh patch of grass outside my kitchen.

Hyperbole aside, no where have I even mentioned that Re-Zero is sorely lacking in its world-building component when viewed as a whole. There is plenty of detail scattered in the first season. However, context to those details matters, at the very least to make sense of why things are in such a way, and Re-zero introduces that later on. The focus of the first season was to establish the characters first and foremost.

As for the light novel, the author introduced the manuscript to his editor, who suggested him to push back the world-building and lore elements to its later arcs (which Tappei wanted to get into first). The editor suggested him to get the readers engaged with the characters and then focus on the lore. Source was from a crunchyroll interview.

Mmmm ok for the cr interview even though I woulda prefered u woulda linked some sources.
"no where have I even mentioned that Re-Zero is sorely lacking in its world-building component when viewed as a whole."
Yep, the thing is, I was saying Re:zero world building is pretty solid even if you don't look at the whole series, but just the first season imo.
Considering the story advances pretty slow (cuz of all the re-dos) I think that they've done pretty good with the time they've got for world building.
Also, ur saying "However, context to those details matters, at the very least to make sense of why things are in such a way, and Re-zero introduces that later on", but I can't really think of something that doesn't make sense, some things are left unexplained until later on (as it should be) but I haven't really felt like something was straigh-up nosense, may u give me a couple of examples where things just didn't make sense to u?
Feb 27, 2019 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
vhagar8 said:
DrakoWiz said:

If u don't mind generic setting, why is it that half of your complains are about "being generic"?
Ur just conveniently changing your complains when someone points out they don't make sense.
Anyway I was just pointing out your bad use of the word "world building", whenever u wanna argue if the world building are good, mediocre or bad that's another matter.
Gonna check the whole topic to see if I'll find something that looks like an actual argument somewhere.

Man, is it really that hard to grasp? What can one expect from an anime that contradicts its own internal logic, or adds gaming mechanics to a supposed real life environment? Isn't the point of good world building smt that supposedly can seem plausible? Or do you prefer a culmination of random nonsense for the sake of seeming rich and vast on a surface level without any basis on reality?
Feb 27, 2019 3:06 PM

Oct 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Kruszer said:
OH GOSH SO MUCH THIS

I've said for a while now that 2+ cour anime series can tell better stories and flesh out their settings more effectively than 1 cour series. It really disappoints me how the standard these days is 1 cour.

I think the same. This is totally true.
Feb 27, 2019 3:18 PM

Apr 2018
DrakoWiz said:
vhagar8 said:

Man, is it really that hard to grasp? What can one expect from an anime that contradicts its own internal logic, or adds gaming mechanics to a supposed real life environment? Isn't the point of good world building smt that supposedly can seem plausible? Or do you prefer a culmination of random nonsense for the sake of seeming rich and vast?

Game mechanics to me seems as plausible as magic, superpowers, robots and so on when it comes to anime.
I don't really get what u mean with "supposed real life environment" when talking about fantasy and sci-fi.
As long as the story doesn't contradict itself and doesn't break the "rules" established by the author himself, everything is fair game when it comes to world building imo.
If the author wants his characters to bleed fucking pixels when hurt, as long as it makes sense in the fictional world he created, I don't see what the problem would be.
Your idea of "plausibile" doesn't make too much sense to me
So yeah, I only agree about the part where u say anime shouldn't contradict their own internal logic.
But than again, I'd like a couple of examples to back that up.
Like, u named One Piece among the "good guys", but it looks the most contradictory anime u've named in your opening post to me.
The way it introduced haki is probably the biggest plot hole I've ever seen in anime

Edit: maybe plot hole isn't the best word when talking about world building, but I hope u get the point: haki fucked up One Piece's coherence in world building and plot (even though plot is not relevant for the current discussion) pretty hard
vhagar8Feb 27, 2019 3:27 PM
Feb 27, 2019 3:25 PM

Jul 2016
A fantasy setting only needs a few key details that make it's world thematically distinctive.

Konosuba is full of funny characters and monsters.

Shield hero focuses on class status. In its world people's social standing has little to do with merit. Naomi's social standing starts high just because he was given the status of hero. When he is accused of rape his status falls. Slaves have an even lower status than him.

Goblin Slayer behaves in a very calculated and strategic manner. The Goblins are this threat that none seems to take seriously. I don't like this show but people who do cite these as reasons why.

Not every show needs an intricately crafted world. Slice of life shows that take place in the real world are popular right now.

Kimi No Ni Wa has Subtle world building. There is a contrast between the country and the city. The train connects them physically and the ribbon connects them magically.

TapertrainFeb 27, 2019 3:29 PM
Feb 27, 2019 3:40 PM

Jul 2014
I agree. But it really depends on the series. This is why I love One Piece. Nothing has compared to One Piece in terms of world-building for me.
Feb 27, 2019 3:43 PM

May 2013
vhagar8 said:

Mmmm ok for the cr interview even though I woulda prefered u woulda linked some sources.
"no where have I even mentioned that Re-Zero is sorely lacking in its world-building component when viewed as a whole."
Yep, the thing is, I was saying Re:zero world building is pretty solid even if you don't look at the whole series, but just the first season imo.
Considering the story advances pretty slow (cuz of all the re-dos) I think that they've done pretty good with the time they've got for world building.
Also, ur saying "However, context to those details matters, at the very least to make sense of why things are in such a way, and Re-zero introduces that later on", but I can't really think of something that doesn't make sense, some things are left unexplained until later on (as it should be) but I haven't really felt like something was straigh-up nosense, may u give me a couple of examples where things just didn't make sense to u?

Friendo, please avoid exaggerating things. I haven't said it was straight up non-sense. :)

As for the examples and what I meant by context to a reader/viewer (something I gathered after having rewatched the 1st season multiple times, and restricting the text to it) ,

PS: I'm not sure if you will but please don't conflate this to me dishing out on the anime. I stand by the decision to shift all of this lore to later parts and getting the characters established first. As for the interview, it maybe available on wiki through a citation/reference at the bottom.
KreatorXFeb 27, 2019 4:05 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 27, 2019 4:03 PM

Apr 2018
KreatorX said:
vhagar8 said:

Friendo, please avoid exaggerating things. I haven't said it was straight up non-sense. :)

As for the examples and what I meant by context to a reader/viewer (something I gathered after having rewatched the 1st season multiple times, and restricting discussion to it) ,

PS: I'm not sure if you will but please don't conflate this to me dishing out on the anime. I stand by the decision to shift all of this lore to later parts and getting the characters established first. As for the interview, it maybe available on wiki through a citation/reference at the bottom.

I mean, anything u said is meant to be a mistery, but really nothing u say doesn't make sense.
The only thing u brought up that "may feel off" is the environment being conveniently hostile, but it's just a feeling, not an actual point.
I really don't wanna misundrestand what ur saying but to me it sounds like ur basically saying smth like "any world building is 'bad' at the begging and gets better later on", which may not even be technically false, but sounds quite questionable to me.
Feb 27, 2019 4:08 PM

May 2014
Don't read 99% of modern light novels if you want good world building. One Piece is the master of world building in my opinion. Made in Abyss is great too.
Feb 27, 2019 4:17 PM

May 2013
vhagar8 said:

I mean, anything u said is meant to be a mistery, but really nothing u say doesn't make sense.
The only thing u brought up that "may feel off" is the environment being conveniently hostile, but it's just a feeling, not an actual point.
I really don't wanna misundrestand what ur saying but to me it sounds like ur basically saying smth like "any world building is 'bad' at the begging and gets better later on", which may not even be technically false, but sounds quite questionable to me.

Then in short, as viewer, all I wanted to know is why is the environment hostile. That's the point. All I ask for is context. That very hostility is what pushed Subaru off his merry way in season 1. If anything, the anime made it very clear that if you want to know more and how the world works -> go check out the novels. Good marketing by the adaptation nevertheless.

Well in any case, if it sounds questionable to you then I have nothing more to add. I can only assess what I understand by world building with more information and context on hand.
KreatorXFeb 27, 2019 4:20 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 27, 2019 6:32 PM

Jan 2019
tl;dr I want to be smart but blaim modern isekai for having garbage (untrue) world building.

Literally just a complain thread. Watch other stuff than seasonals that pop up dude. And you're absolutely wrong
I'm new.

Feb 27, 2019 7:01 PM
Oct 2018
hate on me but seven deadly sins and attack on titan have amazing world building
Feb 27, 2019 7:19 PM

Apr 2014
I agree with you. But this situation is chronic to post 2010 anime. Just look at older anime, their world building was phenomenal. For example Slayers, the countless ala Gundam and space opera series, berserk and other dark series. Not going far many 2000s animes had put great effort in the world storytelling inside. The recent boom of isekai was indeed a disgrace. But this is how it works, almost all form of art degenerate as the time passes. For our relief there's still hope, like made in abyss, etc.
Feb 27, 2019 7:51 PM

Dec 2012
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Kruszer said:
OH GOSH SO MUCH THIS

I completely agree. 2 seasons is about the perfect length for a story if you pace it right. Any longer and it can drag on too much, any less and it may not be enough time.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 27, 2019 10:50 PM
Feb 2018
KreatorX said:
vhagar8 said:

As for the examples and what I meant by context to a reader/viewer (something I gathered after having rewatched the 1st season multiple times, and restricting the text to it) ,

The only issue is that when describing world building. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. The series could end their. Plot points can be dropped. Nothing at all could be explained and it would still have good world building. World building is NOT at all about explaining every single thing in a story. Star Wars and especially Lord of the Rings both have heavy lore but also some stunning omissions that leave many plot points up to the readers interpretation or whatever. Both these series are prime examples of world building done right. Obviously rezero doesn't have anywhere near as much lore and doesn't explain as much. That withstanding explaining every mechanic and action != Good world building. World building is fundamentally about creating a world with history and characters independent of the main character. It's about making it feel like a real world. I know you hate the term "feel" but you can look at it objectively. Is there history, do side characters lead their own lives, are there land marks within this world. ReZero season one has all of these even without explaining everything. Sure the ln explain more or whatever. But don't act as if it's reasonable for the OP to say it lacks world building. It's not reasonable at all. And just goes to show how the OP either missed or just doesn't know what world building is.
Feb 28, 2019 12:08 AM

May 2013
MauledDivine said:
KreatorX said:

The only issue is that when describing world building. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. The series could end their. Plot points can be dropped. Nothing at all could be explained and it would still have good world building. World building is NOT at all about explaining every single thing in a story. Star Wars and especially Lord of the Rings both have heavy lore but also some stunning omissions that leave many plot points up to the readers interpretation or whatever. Both these series are prime examples of world building done right. Obviously rezero doesn't have anywhere near as much lore and doesn't explain as much. That withstanding explaining every mechanic and action != Good world building. World building is fundamentally about creating a world with history and characters independent of the main character. It's about making it feel like a real world. I know you hate the term "feel" but you can look at it objectively. Is there history, do side characters lead their own lives, are there land marks within this world. ReZero season one has all of these even without explaining everything. Sure the ln explain more or whatever. But don't act as if it's reasonable for the OP to say it lacks world building. It's not reasonable at all. And just goes to show how the OP either missed or just doesn't know what world building is.

Oh man, we are talking on two different points here. Let's end it. The basic premise feeds us that the world is hostile. Fuck Subaru from the equation right now. All I want to know is why the atmosphere is so charged up. I did not interpret OP's statement of 'poor' world-building as 'lack' of world-building.

I meant to say that a lot of stuff is thrown at us but the basic context is unclear so far. *Absolutely* nothing to do with it? The series won't end if one mentioned how the earlier political family ruled, but it would definitely put nearly everything in place as to why people behave around Subaru (and not just around him) that way, to the point of how people ended up leading their lives in the world.

I am not mixing up good/bad world-building to large/little world-building nor am I pulling up an 'act' here.

I assess this by the context it provides to things around it, no matter how little the world building is. How does the world function independently of the main character. Looking from an objective standpoint that is. Just support whatever was shown in those 8 hours. This is why I had said the first season raises more questions than answers.

If OP implied that poor world-building = lack of world-building in his/her original post, then I respectfully redact everything I blathered about.
KreatorXFeb 28, 2019 1:48 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - Yesterday

26 by ST63LTH »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime tropes you want to see more of

ST63LTH - 43 minutes ago

4 by LoveYourSmile »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » should characters be smart or mature for you to enjoy them?

deg - Yesterday

27 by RaiYou »»
20 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

98 by Nette »»
45 minutes ago

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - 4 hours ago

11 by AryaVai »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.