Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else kinda annoyed over how important characters suddenly come back to life after being presumed dead?

New
Jan 10, 2019 5:54 PM

Jul 2017
It's something that I've noticed for a while now, but there are quite a lot of shows where there's always some character that has a whole death segment only to be revived shortly later. FMA:B, Gintama, Charlotte, Banana Fish, Clannad AS, Beyond the Boundary, and from what I've heard this seasons The Promised Neverland, it's like if an important character is killed anywhere that's not the final stages of the show they will always miraculously live (of course there are exceptions)

Don't get me wrong it's nice to see these characters come back to life and live happily ever after and such, but I honestly feel like this is a very cheap plot device used to invoke drama into the show, and a dramatic ending is much more impactful than a happy one imo (case in point NGNL:0)

It's pretty much got to a point where I don't give a shit anymore when relevant characters die cause they more than likely will come back later

Thoughts?
Jan 10, 2019 6:01 PM

Oct 2018
Pretty sure everyone who died in Banana Fish stayed dead though

I don't mind authors reviving characters, I barely see it anyway. It only gets annoying if everyone is brought back, or a character is revived multiple times, otherwise if done in moderation it's fine.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Jan 10, 2019 6:05 PM

Jul 2017
BackstageMage said:

I'm talking about when
I guess technically he wasn't officially announced as dead, but the show heavily implied it was gonna happen
Jan 10, 2019 6:15 PM

Oct 2014
It really depends on the context of the world/characters and it's rules. If it's just shoehorned in (even within the proper context) it's a definite red flag and should be noted as a hindrance to a good story or event.

For example, Shirou Emiya, while he never technically died there are many things that would have killed anybody else, it's done very well in his case and within the worlds rules, and enables him to have the ideals that he has otherwise he would be dead 20x over. This helps build the disdain characters have for him, including from the audience.

An example of a shoehorn, it would be from Jojos and there are a couple actually but i'll focus on one, to avoid spoilers everybody who's seen it will know, it was within the worlds rules per se but it was a very dumb moment played for laughs and threw out a valuable moment.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 10, 2019 6:21 PM

Jul 2016
Unless they are formally pronounced dead, make no assumptions.
Jan 10, 2019 6:22 PM

May 2018
Dragon Ball.

The worst offender of this.
Jan 10, 2019 7:56 PM

Feb 2013
no because i'd also like to come back to life after being presumed dead
at least once or twice until the novelty wears off
Jan 10, 2019 8:03 PM

Jul 2017
im fine if its done logically and dramatically
random sudden appearance would be a big no for me and it kills the anime
meruem's comeback is a click for me and its one of those exceptions
Jan 10, 2019 8:09 PM
Feb 2017
It certainly can be annoying. Having characters die repeatedly like Akame Ga Kill isn't the best either. Like you pointed out in the NGNL movie, those deaths were "satisfying" in a sense as it wasn't the typical ending. Literally people noawadays are becoming so used to happy endings where "YAY my character lives!". See Marvel: Infinity War. When I first saw the ending in theaters, I was SO HAPPY. The ending made me extremely satisfied that there was an actual threat and it showed by the amount of harm caused at the ending. Sadly, I hear that Spider-Man and Black Panther 2 are coming out, which just completely kills it. But literally you had people hating on the movie because of the "bad ending", like wtf? That shows how brainwashed people have succumbed to complete happy endings. People like stakes, but people like it more when the stakes are followed through.

tldr: a character coming back to life isn't completely bad, but it has become a medium that is overused. Character deaths bring more drama and progression too the story and help the story add stakes.
Jan 10, 2019 8:19 PM

Feb 2018
In gintama's case it wasn't exactly a "coming back to life after being presumed dead" and i can see you're still half way through the series i assume you got spoiled ? , anyways when you get to the arc you will understand the whole thing
MAYOISM said:

i agree
Jan 11, 2019 12:22 PM

Jul 2017
IpreferEcchi said:

Wise words I, unfortunately, realized too late

BlakexEkalb said:
It certainly can be annoying. Having characters die repeatedly like Akame Ga Kill isn't the best either. Like you pointed out in the NGNL movie, those deaths were "satisfying" in a sense as it wasn't the typical ending. Literally people noawadays are becoming so used to happy endings where "YAY my character lives!". See Marvel: Infinity War. When I first saw the ending in theaters, I was SO HAPPY. The ending made me extremely satisfied that there was an actual threat and it showed by the amount of harm caused at the ending. Sadly, I hear that Spider-Man and Black Panther 2 are coming out, which just completely kills it. But literally you had people hating on the movie because of the "bad ending", like wtf? That shows how brainwashed people have succumbed to complete happy endings. People like stakes, but people like it more when the stakes are followed through.

tldr: a character coming back to life isn't completely bad, but it has become a medium that is overused. Character deaths bring more drama and progression too the story and help the story add stakes.

Pretty much what I said lmao. 'Good' deaths make the show much more memorable than a simple happy ending

BourBon-7so said:
In gintama's case it wasn't exactly a "coming back to life after being presumed dead" and i can see you're still half way through the series i assume you got spoiled ? , anyways when you get to the arc you will understand the whole thing
MAYOISM said:

i agree

Funnily enough, Gintama was actually where I started to realize the reoccurrence. Maybe not the arc you're thinking of, as I didn't get spoiled on anything
Jan 11, 2019 12:24 PM
Jan 2012
In the right context and execution it is forgivable, but 90% of the time yeah it's dumb
Jan 11, 2019 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
Usually yeah, it bothers me. I do not like when deaths mean nothing.
Jan 11, 2019 12:57 PM

Feb 2018
Short_Circut said:
IpreferEcchi said:

BlakexEkalb said:

Pretty much what I said lmao. 'Good' deaths make the show much more memorable than a simple happy ending

BourBon-7so said:

i agree

Funnily enough, Gintama was actually where I started to realize the reoccurrence. Maybe not the arc you're thinking of, as I didn't get spoiled on anything

Which death are we talking about btw
edit : nvm i can tell which one now
, yeah sorry i completely was thinking of a different arc
7soJan 11, 2019 1:21 PM
Jan 11, 2019 1:15 PM

Oct 2018
HXH or SNK is one of the anime which is considered "DEATH is DEATH", and Fairy tail is one of the anime which I considered "Death is not the end" or maybe I should pick Dragonball for this.

but if i have to pick between those two type anime I go another one which is naruto where the death is not just a death, and setting how some of important character death is so sad and dramatic.
Jan 11, 2019 1:46 PM

Aug 2012
Depends a lot of the context. There are many characters I wish they´d come back, but at the same time, it might be weird. Picking my favorite, Bungo Stray Dogs, an important change wouldn´t have happened if

It´s sad, but the evolution of some characters happen because of this. Making the character reappear would make everything senseless...? I think.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Jan 11, 2019 1:49 PM

Feb 2018
Yea it totally undercuts the emotional impact of the death scene, for me the worst offender was Steins Gate.
Jan 11, 2019 1:51 PM

Feb 2018
GoldenWind said:
Dragon Ball.

The worst offender of this.

True, in Dragon Ball there aren't really stakes anymore, and death is almost as threatening as a cold.

Nvm colds are serious business.
Jan 11, 2019 1:57 PM

Mar 2014
BourBon-7so said:
In gintama's case it wasn't exactly a "coming back to life after being presumed dead"

manga spoils

But 99% of the time yes, especially if it was a ridiculously ott death that would have zero chance of survival
Jan 11, 2019 2:01 PM

Mar 2014
BackstageMage said:

So I'm debating whether to watch this anime but don't want my soul destroyed so does that mean the character in the spoiler dies or not?
Jan 11, 2019 3:58 PM

Feb 2018
Shuichi2 said:
BourBon-7so said:
In gintama's case it wasn't exactly a "coming back to life after being presumed dead"

manga spoils

But 99% of the time yes, especially if it was a ridiculously ott death that would have zero chance of survival

Jan 11, 2019 4:17 PM

Apr 2016
Short_Circut said:
It's something that I've noticed for a while now, but there are quite a lot of shows where there's always some character that has a whole death segment only to be revived shortly later. FMA:B, Gintama, Charlotte, Banana Fish, Clannad AS, Beyond the Boundary, and from what I've heard this seasons The Promised Neverland, it's like if an important character is killed anywhere that's not the final stages of the show they will always miraculously live (of course there are exceptions)

Don't get me wrong it's nice to see these characters come back to life and live happily ever after and such, but I honestly feel like this is a very cheap plot device used to invoke drama into the show, and a dramatic ending is much more impactful than a happy one imo (case in point NGNL:0)

It's pretty much got to a point where I don't give a shit anymore when relevant characters die cause they more than likely will come back later

Thoughts?

If you kill off the main characters you don't have a cast to carry through the rest of the story. It's as simple as that. Also the fact that the side characters usually don't get much attention either, would support the case that if they had to jump in as new main characters the story would just fall apart even more.

Kind of like how Eren could not possible die in episode 5 or 6 when he was eaten by a titan. If you remove the OP main character out of your story you don't really have one anymore.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Jan 11, 2019 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
I wonder if I could reasonably construe Heartcatch Precure! as intending to teach little girls how to move on after the death of a loved one. :thinking:

It actually fits pretty well. ‘Would explain why its so grim for a kids show.

Then again, I guess Gundam IBO is technically a kids show too. I still chuckle remembering how Toei and that TV channel got flamed with complaints by parents who assumed the show was safe for smaller kids when Mika started headshoting captives in cold blood.
Jan 12, 2019 10:53 AM

Jul 2017
BourBon-7so said:
Short_Circut said:

Which death are we talking about btw
edit : nvm i can tell which one now
, yeah sorry i completely was thinking of a different arc

Yep that's the one

Shuichi2 said:
BackstageMage said:

So I'm debating whether to watch this anime but don't want my soul destroyed so does that mean the character in the spoiler dies or not?

Yes

VladimirNabokov said:
Short_Circut said:

Thoughts?

If you kill off the main characters you don't have a cast to carry through the rest of the story. It's as simple as that. Also the fact that the side characters usually don't get much attention either, would support the case that if they had to jump in as new main characters the story would just fall apart even more.

Kind of like how Eren could not possible die in episode 5 or 6 when he was eaten by a titan. If you remove the OP main character out of your story you don't really have one anymore.

But I mean, a lot of the cases I've seen either a main character was killed towards the end and subsequently revived (like FMA:B) or a lesser important character was killed in the middle and revived (like Charlotte). I agree though having main characters die early on prevents the story from continuing (which is why I knew right away Eren's death was bs) but killing them when the story is pretty much virtually done and then reviving them to me feels pretty cheap
Jan 12, 2019 11:04 AM

Mar 2014
Short_Circut said:
Shuichi2 said:

Yes

Thanks, think I'll give it a miss then
Jan 12, 2019 11:12 AM

Feb 2015
Fairy Tail and Sakigake Otokojuku are probably the worst, when I comes to bringing back dead characters.
Jan 12, 2019 11:16 AM

Jun 2017
ye ikr? I too hate it. I hated when
and always hated when a character in FT did it.

Why did Makarov never die?

Jan 12, 2019 11:17 AM

Feb 2018
You should add Tokyo Ghoul as well ..
Jan 12, 2019 11:29 AM

Jul 2014
IpreferEcchi said:

Even then, you should wait until you see the body. Even then even then, sometimes none of that shit means anything. Example? Superman from the DCEU.
Jan 12, 2019 11:31 AM

Apr 2016
Short_Circut said:
But I mean, a lot of the cases I've seen either a main character was killed towards the end and subsequently revived (like FMA:B) or a lesser important character was killed in the middle and revived (like Charlotte). I agree though having main characters die early on prevents the story from continuing (which is why I knew right away Eren's death was bs) but killing them when the story is pretty much virtually done and then reviving them to me feels pretty cheap

Main characters are usually the characters that most people relate to and/or like from the overall characters that appear in a series. So killing off a main characters is an effective way in evoking emotions from your viewers forcefully, or to make certain scenes/arcs even more powerful since your beloved character dies at the end, too. Just to come back in the next episode but it is the main character after all.

You have this phenomena in a huge majority of Anime, not just your generic battle shounen, but in other Anime that usually don't get hated over it as well (Ghost in the Shell comes to mind, not technically coming back to life though really similar to it, if you know the franchise you will probably know what I mean). Though the main difference is usually how it is done. And that is exactly the point where me having a problem with certain characters coming back to life stops. As long as the reason is not just 'MC POWER #72121 - REVIVE' but an actual reason as to why they are not dead and come back, then I am fine with it. Though most of the time there is not such a reason, or merely such a superficial one that you might as well just disregard it entirely.

Regarding dying to the end and coming back to life -> Happy end, they cannot die. :>

Jan 12, 2019 11:33 AM

Apr 2016
SithSteel said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Even then, you should wait until you see the body. Even then even then, sometimes none of that shit means anything. Example? Superman from the DCEU.

Or for the Lupin fans out there, if you perhaps recall Lupin III: Jigen's Gravestone, then you know what I mean. :>

Jan 12, 2019 11:38 AM

Mar 2012
Rule of thumb is that unless you see the body itself die then chance that they are still alive.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jan 12, 2019 11:39 AM

Jul 2014
VladimirNabokov said:
SithSteel said:

Or for the Lupin fans out there, if you perhaps recall Lupin III: Jigen's Gravestone, then you know what I mean. :>

I do not recall that as I have not watched any part of the Lupin series. Good day. :p
Jan 12, 2019 11:41 AM

Apr 2016
SithSteel said:
I do not recall that as I have not watched any part of the Lupin series. Good day. :p

Awh :< That is too bad, you should give it a try if you like episodic stuff. It's a great franchise if you were to ask me. Stayed pretty much the same quality wise since 1971. :>

Jan 12, 2019 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
Reminds me of a certain somebody,,,

Jan 12, 2019 11:45 AM

Jul 2014
VladimirNabokov said:
SithSteel said:

Awh :< That is too bad, you should give it a try if you like episodic stuff. It's a great franchise if you were to ask me. Stayed pretty much the same quality wise since 1971. :>

Years ago, I watched part of one episode of Mine Fujiko. I think that's the name of the show, anyway.
Jan 12, 2019 12:03 PM

Apr 2016
SithSteel said:
Years ago, I watched part of one episode of Mine Fujiko. I think that's the name of the show, anyway.

If you liked the cast or the concept give the '71 a try since it is where it starts and you get introduced to all the other main characters as well. After that you can just pretty much watch through whatever movie you want.

Jan 12, 2019 12:11 PM

Jul 2016
One Piece does this too much. They're not very central characters, but it's still annoying.

Short_Circut said:
FMA:B, Gintama, Charlotte, Banana Fish, Clannad AS, Beyond the Boundary, and from what I've heard this seasons The Promised Neverland

How about putting a spoiler warning here? I didn't need to know that about TPN.
Jan 12, 2019 6:44 PM

Dec 2012
Depends on how "dead" they were. Did we see a body? Were we given a sufficiently convincing explanation that didn't break the show's "rules".

Also the setting because science fiction and fantasy genres can have advanced technology or magic that makes normally implausible things more believable in the context on the story without breaking it's own continuity.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke

How much I like character whos been resurrected is a factor as well. Without getting super spoilery that's all I can really say about the subject. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
KruszerJan 12, 2019 6:57 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 12, 2019 7:02 PM

Jan 2010
If the revivial has meanings and is relevant to the story, I don't mind.

But if it's something like Tokyo Ghoul : re then it's shit.
Jan 12, 2019 11:27 PM

Jul 2014
Yeah, sure.

I think now that I've reached adulthood, more and more I notice how illogical Anime can be sometimes. It's not a big issue to me though. I enjoy it for what it is.
Jan 13, 2019 4:29 AM
Jan 2018
No one came back to life from The Promised Neverland. The dead remained dead
"If someone tells me that I’m destined to fight my friend, I would rather fight destiny itself" - Hatz
Jan 13, 2019 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
It's not an Anime, but that happens in every season of Arrow.
Jan 13, 2019 7:08 AM

Jul 2012
Depends of how it was done and the consequences of it. But, I do think it can make it "cheap" if not done right.
I remember watching DBZ and not caring for any of the characters because I knew they would be back eventually. There were some sad scenes and all (Vegeta and Trunks scene ç-ç) but in the end I was like "Naah, he will be back" lol
And it is not just anime

Jan 13, 2019 8:05 AM

May 2014
It's annoying when it's obvious that they're going to come back, which is most of the time actually. I only ever thought the main character was really dead one time in a certain manga i read, because the author already killed off a major character before that point.
Jan 13, 2019 8:17 AM

Feb 2010
Well, maybe you're just too quick to jump to conclusions, assuming people are dead when it hasn't been confirmed. I've seen enough fiction to know when a death counts as confirmed and when it doesn't so I rarely have that issue.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 16, 2019 2:08 PM

Apr 2010
That didn't happen to me, as much as I remember... The closest to it when someone was thought to be dead, but it was wrong from the start. Or they were dying rather than dead. Or something like that.

Jan 29, 2019 1:10 PM
Nov 2018
If it has sense in the story then it's fine, nothing wrong with it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

22 by Rhaelynne »»
24 seconds ago

» What animes/manga where you suprised where made by the same creator?

Lol1268 - Apr 22

21 by bucciest »»
41 seconds ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 2 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
55 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

41 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

131 by APolygons2 »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.