Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »
Sep 17, 2019 4:03 PM

Dec 2008
Hello! Was wondering if I could please get a rec for "Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread"? Would prefer 5 volumes or fewer, otherwise anything goes

I was also wondering if Nyankees would qualify as a delinquent manga or nah? Thank you!
Sep 17, 2019 4:19 PM

Mar 2016
letsgomeisei said:
Hello! Was wondering if I could please get a rec for "Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread"? Would prefer 5 volumes or fewer, otherwise anything goes

I was also wondering if Nyankees would qualify as a delinquent manga or nah? Thank you!

Yes, Nyankees works!

Here are some recs, hoping others will throw in some as well:

Green Blood . more western like style set in the west
Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou - disaster strikes a city, so the MC has to survive somehow (it is quite realistic)
Kanata no Astra - Kids stranded in Space and they have to find a way back home (was pleasantly surprised with it)
Planetes
Futari no Renai Shoka A mature and mellow romance.
Bonnouji - A nice and mellow romance²
Onani Master Kurosawa - Don't get fooled by the title. Highly recommended if you like psychological stuff - not so mellow
Chikan Otoko Same artist as from Onani Master Kurosawa, this time it's more of a coming of age story
Sep 19, 2019 4:15 AM

Feb 2016
letsgomeisei said:

I Sold My Life for Ten Thousand Yen per year - or Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de by MAL. Just going to borrow words off MAL synopsis, "...focuses on a twenty-year-old with little hope for the future. One day, he discovers a shop that buys lifespan, time, and health. This is a story dealing with the consequences of doing so."
Sep 21, 2019 8:08 AM

Jan 2017
@tamochinnn Hi! Could you please disable the message setting for a while so I can send feedback on your MRC form?
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Sep 21, 2019 12:04 PM

Jan 2009
@MRC_mod

I've just noticed that the challenge:
2. Read a manga that started publishing the same season as one of your listed favorites.
in the advanced section changes to:
[*][Started: DATE] [Finished: DATE] (Ad.02) Read a manga that started publishing the same month as one of your listed favorites.
in the sign-up code.
Could you choose the correct verion and fix it?

Also, does the Challenge Finish Date refers to turn-in date or to the date one finishes the last manga?
Sep 21, 2019 5:56 PM

Jan 2017
lubryka said:
I've just noticed that the challenge:
2. Read a manga that started publishing the same season as one of your listed favorites.
in the advanced section changes to:
[*][Started: DATE] [Finished: DATE] (Ad.02) Read a manga that started publishing the same month as one of your listed favorites.
in the sign-up code.
Could you choose the correct verion and fix it?

Also, does the Challenge Finish Date refers to turn-in date or to the date one finishes the last manga?

Oh boi, thanks for the notice! Fixed it (it is same month).
The Challenge Finish Date: it doesn't really matter if it's the date of your last read manga or the turn-in for us. Just use the date of your turn-in (since that will be the latest date, anyways - if you ever decide to turn in later).

Sep 22, 2019 3:00 PM

Dec 2008
Schlopsi said:
letsgomeisei said:

Yes, Nyankees works!

Here are some recs, hoping others will throw in some as well:

Green Blood . more western like style set in the west
Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou - disaster strikes a city, so the MC has to survive somehow (it is quite realistic)
Kanata no Astra - Kids stranded in Space and they have to find a way back home (was pleasantly surprised with it)
Planetes
Futari no Renai Shoka A mature and mellow romance.
Bonnouji - A nice and mellow romance²
Onani Master Kurosawa - Don't get fooled by the title. Highly recommended if you like psychological stuff - not so mellow
Chikan Otoko Same artist as from Onani Master Kurosawa, this time it's more of a coming of age story

Oh wow, thank you for all of the suggestions! A couple of those I've read and enjoyed and a couple of those have been on my radar as possible reads so I'm gonna trust your judgement and finally check out Onani Master Kurosawa. And maybe some of the others for other items on the list.

Yuuji_ said:

I Sold My Life for Ten Thousand Yen per year - or Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de by MAL. Just going to borrow words off MAL synopsis, "...focuses on a twenty-year-old with little hope for the future. One day, he discovers a shop that buys lifespan, time, and health. This is a story dealing with the consequences of doing so."

This sounds really interesting and definitely something I'd like to give a read, thank you very much!
Sep 23, 2019 7:03 AM
May 2019
Advance ,Nr.19: Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.

@MRC_mod

Sep 23, 2019 7:28 AM

Mar 2016
shy-dragonqueen said:
Advance ,Nr.19: Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.

There you go: Iron Knight.
Sep 23, 2019 1:25 PM

Oct 2017
Would Shokuryou Jinrui qualify for "(I.27) Read a manga with cover art that is primarily one color" ?
Sep 23, 2019 6:06 PM

Apr 2013
We talked about it, and we concluded that it doesn't, unfortunately.

It's basically less about there being a color that stands out, and more about there being a main color throughout the cover.
I hope I explained it well enough. :)

Here are some examples we think are more what the item is about: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1760534&show=350#msg57573992
Sep 24, 2019 7:09 AM

Oct 2017
HeNrYTG50 said:
We talked about it, and we concluded that it doesn't, unfortunately.

It's basically less about there being a color that stands out, and more about there being a main color throughout the cover.
I hope I explained it well enough. :)

Here are some examples we think are more what the item is about: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1760534&show=350#msg57573992

Ok, thank you very much!
Sep 25, 2019 12:54 AM
Jul 2018
19. Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.

@MRC_mod please give me a short series

Thanks in advance
Sep 25, 2019 2:17 AM
May 2019
Hey , I was wondering if C.A.T.
counts as a manga about or involving the Yakuza.

Thanks in advance :)

Sep 25, 2019 11:49 AM

Mar 2016
Gythia said:
19. Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member. [...] please give me a short series

Thanks in advance

I hope you'll like Blood Parade.

shy-dragonqueen said:
Hey , I was wondering if C.A.T.counts as a manga about or involving the Yakuza.

Thanks in advance :)

I still need to wait for my team members to reply - but from a first glance I would say no (since there are no tags for it on mangaupdates or wherever in the synopsis, etc). So I'd recommend to pick another manga. However you can read it and if they appear leave a note where Yakuza might appear, so we can check without reading the whole title (still working on our own challenges, lol). If they don't appear, try to fit the manga for another item if possible.
Sep 26, 2019 9:12 AM

Jan 2017

Hello Everyone!

We will be taking suggestions regarding the 2020 MAL Anime/Manga Challenge. The suggestions are for either new items for the challenge list or removal of existing ones, plus a few extra things. If you would like to make any, please complete this form.

This year, we also prepared a form to request feedback regarding the inspection process during the current year. If you would like to make any, please complete this form.

Thanks!

** Remember to check out our discord server.

Sep 27, 2019 1:32 AM
Jul 2018
This might sound really dumb, but "Fumetsu no Anata e" can be used for "(Ad.18)Read a manga with only one English letter in the title." right?

Or does it mean that the title has to be 1 English letter , like "X" or "Q"
Sep 27, 2019 8:16 AM

Mar 2016
Gythia said:
This might sound really dumb, but "Fumetsu no Anata e" can be used for "(Ad.18)Read a manga with only one English letter in the title." right?

This is a good question, especially we discussed this a lot intern. We will implement more clear clarifications for the next year.
Fumetsu no Anata e sadly can't be used because we are looking for titles that only have one english letter in the title like 頭文字D (Initial D). Other examples would be Nazo no Kanojo X, X or G Senjou Heaven's Door.
Fumetsu no Anata e has depending on the title you choose either none english letter in the original title, or plenty according the romanized title. That's the trick of this item, which seemingly tricked a few already - us included.

Be careful with the "x" in titles, since it is often used as a synonym for "&" or acts as a symbol.
Sep 27, 2019 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
Schlopsi said:
Gythia said:

This is a good question, especially we discussed this a lot intern. We will implement more clear clarifications for the next year.
Fumetsu no Anata e sadly can't be used because we are looking for titles that only have one english letter in the title like 頭文字D (Initial D). Other examples would be Nazo no Kanojo X, X or G Senjou Heaven's Door.
Fumetsu no Anata e has depending on the title you choose either none english letter in the original title, or plenty according the romanized title. That's the trick of this item, which seemingly tricked a few already - us included.

Be careful with the "x" in titles, since it is often used as a synonym for "&" or acts as a symbol.

Thanks for clarifying, I was confused for the same reason.

Also, by "the title has to be 1 English letter", I meant things like these, X and Q
removed-userSep 27, 2019 8:33 AM
Sep 27, 2019 8:34 AM

Mar 2016
Gythia said:
Also, by "the title has to be 1 English letter", I meant things like these, X and Q

Yup they work, too-
Oct 8, 2019 9:23 PM
Jun 2019
@MRC_mod Can I please get a manga recommended for the Advanced portion of the challenge? Thank you!
Oct 9, 2019 6:57 AM

Mar 2016
Lillias said:
@MRC_mod Can I please get a manga recommended for the Advanced portion of the challenge? Thank you!

Hope you'll like it: Canon
Oct 10, 2019 10:01 AM

Mar 2016
@HeNrYTG50 could you please hit me up with a random manga? Thank you!
Oct 10, 2019 10:44 AM

Apr 2013
Schlopsi said:
@HeNrYTG50 could you please hit me up with a random manga? Thank you!
:0

I mean, might as well. https://myanimelist.net/manga/82951
Oct 10, 2019 11:18 AM

Mar 2016
LOL, okay. Thank you :D Didn't see that one coming!
Oct 13, 2019 1:54 AM
Jul 2018
Can this be used for "(E.06) Read a manga with a score of or below 5 on MAL." ? Idk if it means 5.00≥ or 5.99≥
Oct 13, 2019 8:47 AM

Mar 2016
Gythia said:
Can this be used for "(E.06) Read a manga with a score of or below 5 on MAL." ? Idk if it means 5.00≥ or 5.99≥

Sadly it can't be used. It means 5.00≥. So 5.00, 4.99, 4.98,..., etc.
Oct 17, 2019 8:48 AM

Sep 2019
(Ap.05) Read a manga by one of your favorite authors/artists.
Does the authors/artists have to be list on my Favorite People or can I just state the authors/artists on my challenge form?

Manga which have more than 20 volumes can be started at any time during the challenge period.
I'm planning to start a manga (23 volumes) for one of my Apprentice level item.
Am I allow to procced to the Intermediate level if I have not complete reading it?
(14/15 items acquired while I'm still reading the 23 volumes.)
Oct 17, 2019 12:50 PM

Jan 2017
sunsunny said:
(Ap.05) Read a manga by one of your favorite authors/artists.
Does the authors/artists have to be list on my Favorite People or can I just state the authors/artists on my challenge form?

No, they don't have to be from your list. Just state the author.

Manga which have more than 20 volumes can be started at any time during the challenge period.
I'm planning to start a manga (23 volumes) for one of my Apprentice level item.
Am I allow to procced to the Intermediate level if I have not complete reading it?
(14/15 items acquired while I'm still reading the 23 volumes.)

You can read 20+ volume stuff for whichever tier you want, but you have to finish a tier completely before going to the next one.
So this rule is more about being able to start something early for a later tier so you have time to finish it, instead of putting a tier on-hold while you continue with the next one.
Sorry for the confusion, and if you have any other question, feel free to ask. ^-^
MRC_modOct 17, 2019 5:04 PM

Oct 17, 2019 10:13 PM

Sep 2019
MRC_mod said:

You can read 20+ volume stuff for whichever tier you want, but you have to finish a tier completely before going to the next one.
So this rule is more about being able to start something early for a later tier so you have time to finish it, instead of putting a tier on-hold while you continue with the next one.
Sorry for the confusion, and if you have any other question, feel free to ask. ^-^

I will try moving it to a later tier, thank you for the reply
Oct 21, 2019 6:39 PM

Mar 2013
(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

Hi i'm looking for a manga to fill in intermediate 25. I'd prefer if it was BL (yaoi, shounen-ai, bara, lgbt, etc.) Thanks!!
Oct 21, 2019 7:17 PM

Mar 2016
EION said:
(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

Hi i'm looking for a manga to fill in intermediate 25. I'd prefer if it was BL (yaoi, shounen-ai, bara, lgbt, etc.) Thanks!!

Okay, I have a few recs for you:
Tamayura - Angsty romance with a heavy focus on its plot and era.
Vassalord. - Some funny action with a vampire gigolo and a cyborg vampire!
Yeonmo - It's not really queer, but you still might try its premise.
Mou Ichido, Nandodemo. - It is smutty, but besides that I really liked the characters and how they interacted with each other.
Life: Senjou no Bokura
Calling - Totally not what one might expect reading the synopsis - it's funny, it's cute and the MCs are adorable.
Indigo Blue - the artstyle isn't for everyone, but I wanted to list it so you've at least heard of it. ;)
Nee Senpai, Oshiete yo - A more laid back and sentimental/empathetic approach.
Yume no Kodomo

I hope others will add even more recs :)
Oct 21, 2019 8:17 PM

Apr 2013
EION said:

You've probably read some of these:

https://myanimelist.net/manga/9296/Seven_Days
https://myanimelist.net/manga/9699/Doukyuusei
https://myanimelist.net/manga/41973/Bokura_no_Hentai (great)
https://myanimelist.net/manga/93695/Ganbare_Nakamura-kun (very cute)
https://myanimelist.net/manga/3276/Nanairo_Sekai (apparently?)
https://myanimelist.net/manga/9152/Thomas_no_Shinzou (dramatic)
https://myanimelist.net/manga/20424/Reversible (gender bender)

Hope you like one. :)
Edit: Apparently you liked all of them since you've read them. :P
KazzeonOct 21, 2019 11:58 PM
Oct 21, 2019 11:58 PM

Apr 2015
EION said:

Mauri to Ryuu - Cute collection of fantasy BL short stories
Kakemakumo, Kashikoki - "A hint of BL" but really sweet
Bloody†Mary - Similarly, "a hint of BL" with really nice BL fanservice
Nakasenaide ne - A quick smutty read

Oct 28, 2019 3:47 PM

Sep 2018
@MRC_mod Looking for a manga to be assigned for me to read :) TIA
Oct 28, 2019 4:10 PM

Jan 2017
-Lupa- said:
@MRC_mod Looking for a manga to be assigned for me to read :) TIA

Hope you'll enjoy! Brilliant na Mahou

Oct 29, 2019 12:05 AM
Jun 2017
Can someone recommend me some manga for I.25 Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread. ?
Thank you!

Please no horror.
Oct 29, 2019 9:28 AM

Apr 2013
lienlienchii said:
Can someone recommend me some manga for I.25 Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread. ?
Thank you!

Please no horror.

👀 Horror? Jk.. Unless?

Let's see; no scores makes it a bit tough, so I'll go with my gut.

Everything seems to suggest you'd enjoy:

https://myanimelist.net/manga/104538/Kimi_no_Suizou_wo_Tabetai
https://myanimelist.net/manga/70465/Fujimi_Lovers
https://myanimelist.net/manga/50027/About_Death

Perhaps something simpler like:

https://myanimelist.net/manga/25322/Nineteen_Twenty-One
https://myanimelist.net/manga/35171/Cant_See_Cant_Hear_But_Love

I won't flood you with recs, so I hope you like one of these. :)
Oct 31, 2019 12:16 PM
Jun 2017
HeNrYTG50 said:
lienlienchii said:
Thank you!

Please no horror.

👀 Horror? Jk.. Unless?

Let's see; no scores makes it a bit tough, so I'll go with my gut.

Everything seems to suggest you'd enjoy:

https://myanimelist.net/manga/104538/Kimi_no_Suizou_wo_Tabetai
https://myanimelist.net/manga/70465/Fujimi_Lovers
https://myanimelist.net/manga/50027/About_Death

Perhaps something simpler like:

https://myanimelist.net/manga/25322/Nineteen_Twenty-One
https://myanimelist.net/manga/35171/Cant_See_Cant_Hear_But_Love

I won't flood you with recs, so I hope you like one of these. :)

Thank you for the recs! and for the lack of horror
I find it hard to give a score, so I just... don't

They all sound really interesting! I've wanted to read "I want to eat your pancreas" since I saw the movie and obviously I cried too
Oct 31, 2019 12:56 PM

Apr 2013
lienlienchii said:

They all sound really interesting! I've wanted to read "I want to eat your pancreas" since I saw the movie and obviously I cried too

I cried when I read the manga, and I was close to crying when I watched the movie at the movie theater, but I didn't.
It lacked a bit of the punch the manga has, imo. While obviously being more outwardly sad because music/animation.
Nov 1, 2019 5:35 AM

May 2016
Apprentice 12. Read a manga that has been adapted to live-action.

Can I use items that are not in the club's list?
Nov 1, 2019 6:50 AM

Mar 2013
I'm here again looking for manga to fill in these. I'd prefer if they were BL again (shounen-ai, yaoi, lgbt, bara but ABSOLUTELY no shota unless there's no other choice.....)

(Ad.13) Read a manga that another participant has completed for this challenge.
(Ad.19) Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.
(E.02) Read a manga that started serialization before 1965.

Also does N/A ranking count for (E.06) Read a manga with a score of or below 5 on MAL.
Thanks in advance!
EIONNov 1, 2019 7:23 AM
Nov 1, 2019 9:53 AM

Apr 2013
windmillness said:

Sure, as long as you can provide proof that it's adapted to live-action.

EION said:

(Ad.13) Read a manga that another participant has completed for this challenge.
(E.02) Read a manga that started serialization before 1965.

Also does N/A ranking count for (E.06) Read a manga with a score of or below 5 on MAL.
Thanks in advance!

13. I used this one? https://myanimelist.net/manga/40981/Stop_Hibari-kun It's good, but..
19. https://myanimelist.net/manga/121288 Here you go! :)
2. I've found this for now. https://myanimelist.net/manga/79785 (Don't let MAL fool you, it started publishing before that.)
Perhaps this? https://myanimelist.net/manga/17554/Chidaruma_Kenpou_-_Onorera_ni_Tsugu

You can also check what you can find from here:
https://myanimelist.net/manga.php?q=&type=0&score=0&status=2&mid=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=0&em=0&ed=0&ey=0&c[0]=b&c[1]=g&c[2]=c&c[3]=d&gx=0&o=2&w=2&show=1950

Just make sure it has a publishing date, and not just N/A.

N/A doesn't count, has to have a score. :P
KazzeonNov 1, 2019 10:15 AM
Nov 2, 2019 11:39 AM

May 2016
HeNrYTG50 said:
windmillness said:

Sure, as long as you can provide proof that it's adapted to live-action.

That helps. Thanks!
Nov 15, 2019 11:18 AM

Jan 2017
Remember: The Deadline for this year's challenge is December 15, 2019!

You have exactly one month left to finish your challenge! Ganbare and happy reading!

Also remember, if you feel like you can't make it through your most recent tier, you can fall back to the last one you've finished.
So either grit your teeth and fight through it, or rest on the achievement you have already reached. :)
MRC_modNov 15, 2019 5:23 PM

Nov 17, 2019 10:54 AM

Mar 2016
With the deadline approaching and me still fighting to make it through Expert, i need some short recs for
(Ad.18) Read a manga with only one English letter in the title.
and (Ad.10) Read a manga about or involving the Yakuza.

Any tips?
Nov 18, 2019 9:22 AM

Mar 2017
Schlopsi said:
With the deadline approaching and me still fighting to make it through Expert, i need some short recs for
(Ad.18) Read a manga with only one English letter in the title.
and (Ad.10) Read a manga about or involving the Yakuza.

Any tips?

I've got a few from my own runs that I can recommend.

Qko-chan - 19 chapters - sci-fi/mecha - interesting story, abrupt and open ending
B.Ichi - 20 chapters - shounen fantasy/supernatural -again, interesting story, abrupt and open ending
Smuggler - 4 chapters - seinen action/thriller - short and Tarantino-esque, veering into ridiculous
5001-nen Yakuza Wars - 8 chapters - seinen sci-fi/action - tongue-in-cheek gang war in space
Nov 18, 2019 1:12 PM

Mar 2016
BrainpanSonata said:
I've got a few from my own runs that I can recommend.

Qko-chan - 19 chapters - sci-fi/mecha - interesting story, abrupt and open ending
B.Ichi - 20 chapters - shounen fantasy/supernatural -again, interesting story, abrupt and open ending
Smuggler - 4 chapters - seinen action/thriller - short and Tarantino-esque, veering into ridiculous
5001-nen Yakuza Wars - 8 chapters - seinen sci-fi/action - tongue-in-cheek gang war in space

"Smuggler is a 4 chapter crime caper that rolls along with Tarantino-esque underworld hijinks and Korean gangster flick humour." Dang, that gets me hooked. I might go with Smuggler or 5001-nen Yakuza Wars, since they look really obscure and wild. I'll save B.Ichi for a later run, thanks for the recs!
Nov 21, 2019 10:02 AM

Mar 2016
We are currently looking for new items to implement into next years challenge - to keep things fresh and interesting.

If you have any ideas or wishes, small or big suggestions, themes, etc. that you feel like may be a fit for the annual manga reading challenge,

you can drop those either in here, use this google doc or hit me up via PM.

They can be precise, vague, or just the seed of an idea. Since we are getting tired of the same items over and over again and again, you might have something we haven't thought of yet. We'd really appreciate any input from you guys, so we know what we can implement in the future and what's better to be left out.
Nov 25, 2019 6:29 AM

Sep 2019
Hi, I have some questions.

(I.20) Read a manga that has a main character that is a professional in their field.
Does a teacher counts?

(I.22) Read a delinquent manga.
Does any one of this counts or I have to pick something like Duds Hunt?

(Ad.04) Read a doujin based on a series you've read.
Does the doujin has to be list on MAL for it to be a valid choice?

@MRC_mod Thanks in advance!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »

More topics from this board

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
34 minutes ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
44 minutes ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.