Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 12, 2019 1:49 PM
Apr 2017
What I find hilarious about this entire thing is that they twisted the very simple narrative of the MC getting falsely accused of rape by a woman (and I mean very simple because this is all you need to set up a characters motivation and to set up how bad the villain is) into “this show encourages dangerous ideas of misogyny and supressing women’s voices and shows the characters hatred towards women” and calling the show a “incel revenge fantasy”

If you were in the mcs shoes wouldn’t you hate the person who falsely accused you of a serious crime regardless of what gender they were? Apparently no according to these people, because wanting to take revenge on a woman is sexist and you’re an incel who hates all woman. Except the main character is not an incel because the princess was the one who made sexual advances towards him in the first place and then later accused him of rape. IMO this is a very justifiable reason to hate somebody and take revenge and shows that the main character is not a “nice guy” incel. Also it confuses me why these people are saying the characters actions equate to the authors personal opinions of women which again are not sexist in the slightest. Also these critics are throwing a huge fit over this plot point because it’s lazy writing but they don’t even care to elaborate why it’s lazy which just makes them even more desperate for attention

This and the goblin slayer thing are just pure cringe and I hope more people realize the Japanese animation industry does not give a single shit about them. But yeah I believe the first step to stopping this would be just to ignore these people and let screech all they want. Threads like these just encourage them
SkepticJan 12, 2019 1:58 PM
Jan 14, 2019 3:08 PM
Jan 2019
"It's always SJW conspiracies"
Diversity quotas? Conspiracy theory.
Black actor for L in Death Note? This is good.
Only men as ghostbusters? Not diverse enough. Make them all women.
Black Hermione Granger and gay Dumbledore? They were always this way.
Black Ciri in The Witcher film? It doesn't even matter, or are you racist?
Black Starfire in Teen Titans? Not blackwashing.

This SJW nonsense started about a decade ago. Pure coincidence.
Jan 15, 2019 6:23 AM

Apr 2012
Mythologically said:
Basically, it's called "post-2015 politics" where pretty much every side gets hyper-offended by words or ideas. Because these people are obsessed with politics, they think that anything they see, such as works made for entertainment, are politically-charged. In their minds, everything that exists is deeply connected to politics. Honestly, complaining about something like a false rape accusation being present in a work of entertainment is on the same level of intelligence as saying either one of "'Merry Christmas' is a derogatory phrase that excludes non-Christians" or "hurr durr libtards are ruining America by saying 'Happy Holidays'".

Oh, I understand you dude. The saddest thing is that these people in 9 cases out of 10 work as journalists, so now almost any media in any field is more involved in political moralizing than in a neutral review of their topic. It reminds me of snowflakes from Thubmlr that consider as "qeer coding" any mention of a close friendship between characters.
Jan 15, 2019 6:36 AM

May 2015
Stupid people always need something to complain about because they literally don't have anything else to do in their lives.

Jan 15, 2019 7:21 AM

Oct 2013
Esquirtit said:
Tbh your forum avatar is more interesting than this topic

This. ;D

CatSoul said:
I've never understood all of this fuss over fictional stories when we've got real problems to deal with all around us. If an anime's subject matter puts you off, don't watch it.

And this as well.

If I was to add something, I'd say that people who are too sensitive for an anime should basically stop watching it. There are hundreds of animes of different genres, people do not need to watch them all if they don't like it.
Jan 15, 2019 7:27 AM

May 2012
Zelkiiro said:

You seriously think women can't be misogynistic? Just look at any of the women in the Trump administration, who are perfectly okay slavishly prostrating themselves before an admitted rapist who thinks sexual assault is a-okay.

Who is that admitted rapist ?! Are you talking about Trump. When did he admit raping and said sexual assault okay
Jan 15, 2019 8:23 AM

May 2016
thepath said:
Zelkiiro said:

You seriously think women can't be misogynistic? Just look at any of the women in the Trump administration, who are perfectly okay slavishly prostrating themselves before an admitted rapist who thinks sexual assault is a-okay.

Who is that admitted rapist ?! Are you talking about Trump. When did he admit raping and said sexual assault okay

Coupled with the fact that he routinely walked in on underage girls' dressing rooms. And that's not even touching the spousal abuse/rape, very likely pedophilic incest, his many flights on the Lolita Express, etc.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 15, 2019 8:34 AM

May 2012
=
Zelkiiro said:
thepath said:

Can you explain how anything Trump said in this quote mean that he is rapist and believe sexual assault is ok

Saying that you love to kiss and touch women breasts (which many men like to do) does not make you rapist or supported of sexual assaults

Me and my friend and many boys always talk about sex and how they love to fuck women, it does not mean they are supporter of rape, nevermind being rapist. The thing Trump said is no different than what the average man says when they are not in public
thepathJan 15, 2019 8:44 AM
Jan 15, 2019 8:40 AM

May 2016
thepath said:
=
Zelkiiro said:

Can you explain how anything Trump said in this quote mean that he is rapist and believe sexual assault is ok

Saying that you love to kiss and touch women breasts (which many men) does not make you rapist or supported of sexual assaults

Me and my friend and many boys always talk about sex and how they love to fuck women, it does not mean they are supporter of rape, nevermind being rapist. The thing Trump said is no different than what the average man says when they are not in public

So you missed the "I don't even wait" part. And he has no idea what consent is, so just because he's not being punched in the face doesn't mean "they let you do it."

Also, no. The average man does not talk like that in private conversation. That's just you and your skeevy friends.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 15, 2019 10:39 AM

Feb 2011
Apparently Dr. Seuss' books are racist. This cycle will continue as long as one minority finds something problematic in literature. It's a matter of voicing said opinion that has others jumping on it.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Jan 15, 2019 10:54 AM

Jan 2019
This whole cringy controversy that some people are making about this anime reminds me of this: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-troubling-relationship-between-anime-and-fascism

Some people do it as click bait for ads revenue, others do it to get sjw points.
True is that most of the people that outrage about this sort of thing don't really care about the show, they just seek attention for the reasons stated before.
Jan 15, 2019 5:53 PM
Jun 2015
I think the thing which is "problematic" is a problem that is only applicable to the anime: establishing the power structure of the world as a Matriarchy at this point in the story. In the manga (and presumably the light novel and web novel), this isn't revealed until much later. The problem with establishing this so soon in the anime is that it is followed by the false rape accusation not five minutes later. In the manga, this information is not known at this point of the story, so the anger and vengeance is limited to Myne (at least it should be), whereas in the anime, since it is now known, the accusation is then connected to the power structure, and thus COULD be argued reflects not on Myne alone, as it ought to be, but on the idea of a Matriarchy as well.

Again, this is a problem with the anime's adaptation, not the source. I myself have a good number of issues with the series in general, but this is ultimately not one of them.
Jan 15, 2019 6:02 PM

Oct 2014
Sisyphusson66 said:
I think the thing which is "problematic" is a problem that is only applicable to the anime: establishing the power structure of the world as a Matriarchy at this point in the story. In the manga (and presumably the light novel and web novel), this isn't revealed until much later. The problem with establishing this so soon in the anime is that it is followed by the false rape accusation not five minutes later. In the manga, this information is not known at this point of the story, so the anger and vengeance is limited to Myne (at least it should be), whereas in the anime, since it is now known, the accusation is then connected to the power structure, and thus COULD be argued reflects not on Myne alone, as it ought to be, but on the idea of a Matriarchy as well.

Again, this is a problem with the anime's adaptation, not the source. I myself have a good number of issues with the series in general, but this is ultimately not one of them.

Regarding bolded: That only makes it easier, because it's the same non-sense that third wave feminists argue in regards to the so-called "patriarchy", with the same flaws. You can just switch the genders and copy&paste the counter-arguments to that.
Jan 15, 2019 6:22 PM
Jun 2015
Grey-Zone said:
Sisyphusson66 said:

Regarding bolded: That only makes it easier, because it's the same non-sense that third wave feminists argue in regards to the so-called "patriarchy", with the same flaws. You can just switch the genders and copy&paste the counter-arguments to that.

That is why I said it is a problem with the anime. The power structure is important to the story, especially where it is introduced in the source material, but its placement in the anime undermines its importance and lends it to unnecessary controversy. I don't think it was done on purpose, but it is lazy and pointless to introduce in the beginning, and is only setting itself up for things that could actually be really problematic later on.
Jan 15, 2019 6:58 PM

Oct 2014
Sisyphusson66 said:
Grey-Zone said:

That is why I said it is a problem with the anime. The power structure is important to the story, especially where it is introduced in the source material, but its placement in the anime undermines its importance and lends it to unnecessary controversy. I don't think it was done on purpose, but it is lazy and pointless to introduce in the beginning, and is only setting itself up for things that could actually be really problematic later on.

No. What you suggest means operating under the assumption that everyone should just give in to the concerns of collectivists who can only see the world in generalizations like that. And if you do give in, they won't stop either. Give them an inch and they'll want a mile.
I mean Goblin Slayer already showed that a controversy like that is actually helping, rather than damaging. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the anime production team deliberately added this "detail" early on exactly BECAUSE it might cause a controversy.
Jan 15, 2019 8:23 PM

Nov 2013
Apparently, ANN advertised a movie made by Happy Science, a cult whose political wing promotes political views that include support for Japanese military expansion, support for the use of nuclear deterrence, and denial of historical events such as the Nanjing Massacre in China and the comfort women issue in South Korea.

That's literal gold!
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 15, 2019 9:35 PM
Jun 2015
Grey-Zone said:
Sisyphusson66 said:

No. What you suggest means operating under the assumption that everyone should just give in to the concerns of collectivists who can only see the world in generalizations like that. And if you do give in, they won't stop either. Give them an inch and they'll want a mile.
I mean Goblin Slayer already showed that a controversy like that is actually helping, rather than damaging. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the anime production team deliberately added this "detail" early on exactly BECAUSE it might cause a controversy.

Well, I am not sure whether you are right, or whether I am right, and that is because we have had only one episode so far. In general, Internet culture and reviewing has become largely reactionary, and tends to jump to conclusions without deeper observation (After the Rain for example was subject to many believing its concept to be disgusting without actually watching it or locating the source material). At this point, the people who find this story to be problematic do have some points for concern going forward. Of course not to the level that supports claims that the author is misogynist, or that it is a horrid work of fiction because of it, but there are some parts of the story that can be cause for concern (I am personally not looking forward to the whole slave thing). It is up to the observer to continue with the story to find out whether their concern was supported or alleviated.

Whether or not the controversy was forced or not is not clear, as we have only had the one episode. As far as I am aware, the controversy is very Western, so I don't think the production team would have done this deliberately to cause controversy outside of their market.
Jan 15, 2019 11:24 PM

Apr 2018
I am getting so sick and tired of all these SJW snowflakes!!! Like they want to complain about anything and try to give it so much backlash to try and ruin it! I bet you half these fucking people just hoped in the anime band wagon recently because if they were part of the scene all this time you would know that themes like this basically made anime what it is today! Like if dark, violent, real life problems (because snowflakes live in a fantasy world on their heads) themes are not your thing don't watch it! Japanese animation was originally a platform used for Japan to write out their stresses of post WW2 and was originated in having very little filters. I am almost 100 percent sure the same people complain g about this are the same people who get triggered off anything and everything. I really hope that these people will not have any influence on how anime will be in the future it is not right because if it were to continue this road we will never be able to see great classic again like evangelion, Akira, etc because of how sensitive people fucking are these days about shit!
Jan 16, 2019 1:45 AM

Jan 2017
It all makes sense

Shield Hero: Kavanaugh
Malty: Dr Ford
The King: Trump
Jan 16, 2019 3:23 AM

Sep 2007
And i found that funny when they said our shield her will have a harem.
The only harem is this anime will be the spear one. :D
Jan 16, 2019 3:34 PM

May 2009
BadAshley said:
It all makes sense

Shield Hero: Kavanaugh
Malty: Dr Ford
The King: Trump

Malty is king's daughter so it doesn't make sense.
Jan 16, 2019 4:04 PM

Feb 2017
longkazama said:
I learned that you shouldn't have any expectation for an Isekai anime. Most of them are shit anyways, like Re:Zero. Only once in a blue moon, you get a good Isekai like That Time You Get Reincarnated as A Slime.

re: zero is succ .
Im tired of seeing subaru's sufferings FOR NO REASON
Jan 26, 2019 11:20 PM
Sep 2018
Meh people are sensitive bitches, didn't effect Goblin Slayers popularity, I'd argue their whining and bitching made it more popular. Let the SJW tears drop!
Jan 29, 2019 6:52 PM
Oct 2015
TripleSRank said:
Having slaves is more a question of writing laziness than writing ethics. Slaves are about the least interesting, most practical way to have characters who do not need to be developed but will stay with the protag until the author brings along some plot event that necessitates otherwise.
Nope, the "slaves" of Shield Hero get development early and continue to have some in almost every arc since they're introduced. They're the most developed characters after the mc himself & even better developed than the other heroes.

TripleSRank said:
Them all being women is just an unfortunate side effect of this being produced by animanga culture. Of course they’re all women. I’m not sure implying that it’s intentionally sexist is fair, though. I think it’s more an unintended consequence.
Well, your statement is true if only limited to the parts the anime will cover. Probably.

But, it's absolutely wrong if we go further because he will recruit some male companions as well. And no, none of them is a comic relief character. They have their own important roles.

I'm not saying that there are no joke characters in this series. It's just that they are all outside of MC's party. And, only one of them will remain as a comic relief till the very end ever since he becomes one.

KomaDoll said:
But I don't know about what will happen with the slave stuff, if this is really slave harem and much less of "lolis", I'm out. I have dislike towards harem and ecchi both so no thanks. But I haven't read manga so I can't judge that yet.
NOT a slave harem, he treats them as just tools at the beginning because he simply has very low attack power to the point that it takes him a full hour just to kill the weakest monster. Then, he will start treating them as his adopted children after he warms up to them. Some girls indeed fall for him, but he repeatedly makes them aware that he sees them only as his beloved daughters. Also, he will get some male slaves as well. Though, I doubt that the anime will cover that far into the story.

papsoshea said:
I haven't watched Sheild Hero yet, but I am willing to bet, that their use of false rape allegations was used in the exact same way as rape was used in Goblin Slayer, cheap shock value to hook viewers into watching another generic isekai/fantasy - and have bare bone meaning outside of that - because it is highly likely the story is filled from head to toe with bad writing. A good example of how rape was used within the world of a story is Berserk. Why can't people just admit to liking shitty plot devices or shitty stories? Guilty pleasures are a thing.
Nope, it actually defines his character & remains an important plot point for the first few arcs. Without it, his sudden change of character will make no sense. The same goes for people's attitude toward him. And of course, Naofumi is not the only one who gets characterization from that rape accusation fiasco.
Sep 6, 2022 1:17 PM

Feb 2021
Lmao all this discourse looks really funny looking back at it nowadays.

I always found funny how the supposedly "woke sjw" company that is Crunchyroll, could ever invest and co-produce an anime like Shield Hero, it's almost like they aren't actually woke...
And we have actual sjws calling out the company for it, and your typical pirate/ati-sjw completely quiet about that, since Cr is supposed to be the "evil woke western localizers" lol.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

546 by ridly »»
May 6, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

243 by ridly »»
May 6, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Apr 26, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

195 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.