Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime you can't stand, despite it having high scores/good reviews?

New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2019 12:58 AM
Aug 2018
one punch man is a trash can streamed on TV
I watched it for the sake of saitama's souka when he was fighting the last dude
I forgot his name cause the anime is so silly I can't take anything seriously
AoT > anime
Jan 6, 2019 1:06 AM

Dec 2018
Code Geass. Just couldnt bring myself into it and didnt understand what people saw in this series. I watched like 10 episodes and dropped it.
Love does not exist,
there's no such thing as love.
Therefore there is no sorrow.
That's what I thought...

Jan 6, 2019 1:12 AM

Jan 2018
Magnif-Steiner said:
Your Name, such a pathetic pandering movie they're making a live action version now

Fuck you! Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuuuuuck youuuuuuu

Anyways, mine would be Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Too drawn out, so old, a dull "epic" in every sense of the word
Jan 6, 2019 1:24 AM

Dec 2018
Oregairu without a doubt is a boring anime for me especially as you keep progressing. Hiratsuka-Sensei was the only interesting character in the story.
Jan 6, 2019 1:26 AM

Oct 2018
Toradora

It's the worst romance anime I've seen so far, and I only rated it 7 because I was really generous
It was so boring most of the time, that I skipped at least 5 minutes of each episode
I honestly don't even know why I didn't drop it
Jan 6, 2019 1:30 AM

Oct 2018
ren_moon said:
Clannad, I don't know if it's any good or if it's the masterpiece everybody says it is, I don't care, god, I mean those fking big eyes!

So you're saying it without even knowing what it's like? You haven't even watched it?
Jan 6, 2019 1:34 AM

Apr 2011
I don't hate these, but I do think that the anime fandom overhype a lot of average at best anime to be some kind of holy grail. Of the top of my head there's 5 cm/s, Madoka Magica, Fate/Stay Night UBW, Kuroko no Basket, Grave of the Fireflies, etc...

Magnif-Steiner said:
Your Name, such a pathetic pandering movie they're making a live action version now

Most of Shinkai's stuff is shit, so there's little surprise about that really. If his movies looked anything less than what they did, I doubt he'd have the same success.
Jan 6, 2019 1:42 AM

Oct 2013
Oh yeah I hate Owari no Seraph too. Popularity #82 brrrr
Jan 6, 2019 2:44 AM
Jul 2018
Nurguburu said:
Violet Evergarden. It was very boring.

This.

Despite having much choice, Violet Evergarden, would have been a masterpiece. When I saw the trailer long time ago, I was exiled. Most of all. I did not read anything. Not the plot, Not the characters, Literally nothing(despite our MC). I was not informed about anything and when I started to watch the anime, i was bored. Way to much. It wasn't even sad. I dropped twice, and with a lot of sforce, i was able to finish it.
Jan 6, 2019 2:52 AM

Aug 2014
acestrawbs said:
I have 2 anime first it would have to be Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku This was a very mundane show where the majority of the anime was about meetings and don't be fooled by the word comedy I did not laugh once in all 13 episodes

The second would have to be Kill la Kill I have tried so much to watch this show as some of my friends recomended it but no matter how much I try I don't find this show interesting or enjoyable to watch.

I always have doubt that SNAFU thing have a thing for "comedy" at all ,rather it's all a highschool drama and angst teenagers.
Well at least it's alright.
Jan 6, 2019 2:55 AM

Oct 2018
For me, One Piece. Also, Bleach and FMA; not that I hate these, but I just couldn't get into them.

Luffy is my #2 most hated anime character (after Ash).
Jan 6, 2019 3:01 AM
Nov 2016
Gintama
Spirited away
Cowboy bebop
Ghost in the shell
Full metal alchemist
I found them all very boring with nothing to offer
Jan 6, 2019 3:02 AM
Jan 2016
Death Note
The only good thing about it was it's ending
Jan 6, 2019 3:07 AM
Feb 2018
No game no life.
I forced myself through 5 episodes. Such a boring story and has so much useless fanservice and some ass-pull like what the hell was that chess episode with the pieces coming alive.
Jan 6, 2019 3:10 AM

Oct 2017
Lain666 said:
Someone has a different opinion form my own. How terrible! Help!

It may seem revolutionary to some, but there are no series/books/etc. that appeal to everyone and people have different reasons for liking and disliking the same show. I sincerely don't understand what is so hard to understand about it.

Rather than hearing which series someone disliked, I would rather read a compelling argument why series X is doing great/bad at what it tries to do(showing romance, making form zero to hero story) or how good/fresh/different it is compared to shows of the same genre. I believe it would be a basis for a far more interesting discussion than simply stating ‘I didn’t like X, because I don’t like genre X’.

I couldn't agree more. None of the replies in this thread have provided a convincing argument to back up their opinion so far, most haven't stated any valid reasons at all. Fleshed out, persuasive arguments would be far better for discussion than simple hate listing.
Jan 6, 2019 3:13 AM

Oct 2013
The OP never asked arguments, just names.
Edit : + People don't necessarily want to write en essay on the forum either...
TitadouJan 6, 2019 3:24 AM
Jan 6, 2019 3:16 AM
Jul 2018
It's cool to see negative opinions once in a while. But please refrain from making a thread that is gonna be filled with them. I do not encourage this.
Jan 6, 2019 3:41 AM

Apr 2008
Titadou said:
The OP never asked arguments, just names.
Edit : + People don't necessarily want to write en essay on the forum either...

They don't need to write a whole essay. Few sentences would be enough.

As it is this topic is a simple hate listing, as Platypus7 pointed out. I don't see what is so fun about it and why should anyone care that user X thinks that anime X is bad. Like really? So what? If user X at least provided arguments why they think anime X is terrible execution of from zero to hero story and worse than other shows of its kind. It would maybe give an interesting perspective and make one look on a show from a different point of view or make one notice things that one missed. As it is, this topic reminds me of reading a phone book.

Here: There is a user X who hates anime X
Phone book: There is John Smith whose number is: +44 345 900 856
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Jan 6, 2019 3:42 AM

Jul 2017
Another - Why tf does it have a 7.73? It was absolutely hilarious, and good for all the wrong reasons.

Mirai Nikki - God it's just edge i'm bleeding just thinking about it. Being edgy for the sake of edginess does not make it good.

Akame Ga Kill - Same reason above. Some of them didn't even have to die. Their deaths just didn't make sense to me

I also can't stand people that say Unlimited Blade Works is shit compared to Fate/Zero.

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Jan 6, 2019 3:48 AM
Apr 2018
Marmi said:

Fate/Zero
But for goodness sake, I don’t understand the hype behind Fate/Zero at all. I tried, went through until half of the second season, but I couldn’t. Maybe one day I’ll try to finish the series, but I still don’t get the “amazingness” of the first season, nor the first half of the second. Honestly I don’t really get why I feel this way either, because I adored Unlimited Blade Works.

The only fate worth watching is Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya

Blarey said:
Toradora - annoying characters, poor writing, .

Can’t agree with you more
ecchiharemgeekJan 6, 2019 6:47 AM
Jan 6, 2019 3:55 AM

Jan 2019
mushroomcloud said:
Psycho Pass. The episodic stuff was fine but the second half is one of the most boring and pretentious shows I've ever watched. Why it has an 8.4 is beyond me.
And the art and character designs. Yuck!

I'm currently watching it and enjoying it so far but I understand your feelings. The first couple of episodes I kinda endured, then around episode 4 I started enjoying it when the characters became a bit more interesting. I've read the second season kinda falls off so I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it (or just treat the end of S1 as the finish as long as the plot ties off neatly).

My pick for this topic though is easy, by a mile, it's Death Note.

Maybe I'm just too old and thick skinned to be cut by the extreme amount of edge every character seems to want to telegraph but mostly watching two kids spew out exposition via inner monologue for 20 out of 25 minutes in each episode just bored me.

It wasn't nearly as smart as it thought it was.

(P.S. I'm more or less an anime noob so don't bash me for this too hard!)
Jan 6, 2019 4:07 AM

Jul 2013
Your lie in april - incredibly boring, annoying characters and it was just so.. idk predictable. nothing exciting happened and in the end i felt like it was a waste of time. couldnt even cry even though people hyped it up as the saddest anime ever, it just felt meh :(
Jan 6, 2019 4:10 AM

Jun 2016
This so easy too easy

Stein Gate

Neo Genesis Evangelion

Mobile suit iron blood orphans season 2
PrideRoyalIvyJan 6, 2019 5:25 AM

Jan 6, 2019 4:24 AM

Mar 2018
Inb4 someone says fmab.
Probably Kimi no nawa for me. The MCs (esp taki) character and their relationship was at best shallow ,imp details ,to make me root for anything between them , left assumed/inferred to be there without any hints (subtle or explicit) nor any weight given to the idea of 'love at a distance' and 'a malancholy of knowing someone distant deeply and yet not recalling it'(not saying the idea wasn't introduced) despite the nice body swap setting. As a result the Mitsuha barrel roll sequence (for the sake of not spoiling) felt artificial.
The fantasy/'scifi' plot twist aspect could pass,a bit convoluted as that maybe for me. The themes of threads of fate also felt less impactful due to this superficial relationship dynamic(if any) between the characters so overall felt very underwhelming
MdotOJan 6, 2019 4:28 AM
Jan 6, 2019 4:25 AM

Oct 2013
Okay then for short :
  • No Game No Life
    + amazing design and color choice, very original
    - characters and harem-like (lolicon, incest, collection of girls from different species), too many bath scenes, try to be too intelligent but not really is, take out the "pinky colory design" and it's just really average

• Violet Evergarden
    + very good design
    - boring, try to make you have feelings with a hammer, Violet is estimated 14 years old

• AnoHana
    - try to make you have feelings with a hammer, characters, +++ Anjou

• Shokugeki no Soma
    + food looks good
    - treatment of the females characters (Erina princess in distress), ecchi orgasmic food, forgotten secondary characters (some of the dormitory are useless), predictable, classic shounen (still need to watch others animes like this to ellaborate)

• Bakemonogatari :
    + good job Shaft
    - slow pacing to put on a stage the shaft effects, harem-like anime, (or if not a harem because of the "main romance" a girl collecting anime : the loli, the megane girl / neko girl, the "tsundere", the sisters, the lesbian etc.), good supernatural stories but it's just for collecting as it is now. Be happy than it have Shaft fairy dust on it, it's so beautiful visually I could buy the blu-ray just for the amazing design
    - - the Nisemonogatari toothbrush over 9000, and the fact the the vampire begin to speak in Nesomogatari because she's stronger, so now she's speak...

etc.

Yeah you can say I can't stand harem / collecting girls ecchi stuff and things that think they're intelligent and higher than they are. Heck yeah it's kinda subjective.

I would say that I can understand that people enjoyed NGNL, Violet and Bakemonogati because of the amazing designs.

That NGNL and Bakemonogatari are waifu traps for shounen

Violet and AnoHana want to much make people cry and have feelings, it's even the only goal of the stories I guess so it's the idea itself that I can't stand. Not telling good stories for the sake of telling good stories but just to make you cry and love it emotionally.

Shokugeki, I may change my mind after doing my Gourmet Challenge so I leave it on stand-by. But it's mainly my feminist standards that makes me too hungry angry to stand it.

Edit : ooow shit that's why I don't write big texts it's awful and full of mistakes, stupid english
TitadouJan 6, 2019 4:44 AM
Jan 6, 2019 4:29 AM
Jul 2018
My hero academia and classroom of the elite are my picks I don't watch those animes with the eyes that most people do.
Jan 6, 2019 4:39 AM

Feb 2018
I read the entire one piece manga, and it's just an average shounen manga.
I watched 201 episodes of Gintama, and about 5 of those episodes were funny.
Jan 6, 2019 5:16 AM

Jan 2019
MdotO said:
Inb4 someone says fmab.

A lot of things are a matter of taste but I don't think there is a metric that exists whereby someone could judge Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as being "bad" without being purposefully contrarian.

If someone just didn't like it though then that's fair enough.

If "fmab" refers to something else I am aware I will look like a tool.
CallMeHootJan 6, 2019 5:27 AM
Jan 6, 2019 5:22 AM

Jan 2019
Lain666 said:

It may seem revolutionary to some, but there are no series/books/etc. that appeal to everyone and people have different reasons for liking and disliking the same show. I sincerely don't understand what is so hard to understand about it.

Rather than hearing which series someone disliked, I would rather read a compelling argument why series X is doing great/bad at what it tries to do(showing romance, making form zero to hero story) or how good/fresh/different it is compared to shows of the same genre. I believe it would be a basis for a far more interesting discussion than simply stating ‘I didn’t like X, because I don’t like genre X’.

I think a fair amount of replies on this thread have a decent rationale behind why the person didn't like X show, etc.

And as much as I like to read emphatic positives with regards to new shows it's also fun to read the "unpopular opinion" type responses about highly rated shows.

As long as people don't do this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJX4ytfqw6k) and can just have a good conversation then it's all good :)
Jan 6, 2019 5:31 AM

May 2018
xStarryEyed said:
Mirai Nikki, the best thing in this show was the first opening

I hated Mirai Nikki. I got about 9 or-something episodes in before calling it quits. Keep in mind that this was like 1/2 years ago. To this day, Yuno is still one of the worst characters I've seen.

The concept was cool, I guess ..
Jan 6, 2019 5:33 AM

Jul 2017
xStarryEyed said:
Same. Mirai Nikki for me too. And also Franxx, Guilty Crown, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, and Tokyo Ghoul (Every season except TG:re 2nd season wich has a fair score)
Jan 6, 2019 5:34 AM

May 2018
Gorochu said:
Jojo - All style no substance. Terrible plot/story worse than Fairy Tail. The plot is just repetitive stand battle of the week. No surprise season 5 sales flop. People only praise and have soft spot for Jojo because it's from old/retro manga.

Being a JoJo fan myself, I can safely say that there's a lot more to JoJo than it just being a retro manga. The 'Stand battle of the week' thing is most prominent in Part 3, and sure, it does get annoying ..but there's so much more than meets the eye. It's truly unique, and isn't like anything else out on the market.
Jan 6, 2019 5:38 AM

May 2018
zieek said:
Gintama

I gave the 2nd a try it took me 15 min to give up and surrender.

Gintama was so blehhh and repetitive. Just ..wow. I didn't think a series so praised could be so bad. I guess that's what this forum topic is for, though.
Jan 6, 2019 5:44 AM

May 2018
Marmi said:

Shingeki No Kyojin

Honestly, I've been trying not to admit this, but I'm kinda getting sick of AOT. Did everyone really just forget about the whole thing with

I dunno if I'm missing something, but it really gets on my nerves.
Jan 6, 2019 5:45 AM

Jul 2012
Attack on Titan

I have attempted to watch this show so much but I just can't stand the main cast.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Jan 6, 2019 5:48 AM

May 2018
xShinigami3125 said:
I read the entire one piece manga, and it's just an average shounen manga.

One Piece's popularity baffles me. It's really nothing special. I had originally typed out this big complaint list for the series, but I though that was a bit too much.
Jan 6, 2019 5:54 AM

May 2018
GoldenWind said:
xStarryEyed said:

I hated Mirai Nikki. I got about 9 or-something episodes in before calling it quits. Keep in mind that this was like 1/2 years ago. To this day, Yuno is still one of the worst characters I've seen.

Same, I hate Yuno so much <.< I also dislike Yukiteru because he was bitching about everything and focused on whining instead of getting anything done.
I agree that the concept was pretty good, the characters totally ruined it for me (actually there was one good character, Uryuu Minene).
Jan 6, 2019 5:56 AM

May 2018
Titadou said:

Shokugeki no Soma
+ food looks good
- treatment of the females characters (Erina princess in distress), ecchi orgasmic food, forgotten secondary characters (some of the dormitory are useless), predictable, classic shounen (still need to watch others animes like this to ellaborate)

I've been wanting to watch Food Wars for so long, but the intense ecchi nature of the series drives me away each time. An anime featuring cutthroat cooking contests sounds awesome, but I don't want big-breasted women moaning every 3 seconds. I'll lose my appetite.
Jan 6, 2019 5:59 AM

May 2018
xStarryEyed said:
GoldenWind said:

Same, I hate Yuno so much <.< I also dislike Yukiteru because he was bitching about everything and focused on whining instead of getting anything done..

Is it even still going, or did it end? I've been completely ignoring its existence for so long now.
Jan 6, 2019 6:00 AM

May 2018
longkazama said:
It's cool to see negative opinions once in a while. But please refrain from making a thread that is gonna be filled with them. I do not encourage this.

I'm not exactly trying to start a hate-brigade. I'm just seeing what others think.
Jan 6, 2019 6:02 AM

Nov 2013
GoldenWind said:
For me, there's no doubt that it'd have to be One Piece.

I only got so far into the anime before denouncing it as another bad series. I was egged on to read the manga however, as it was apparently superior. But yet again, I had to drop it due to how atrociously bad and tedious it became.

By chapter 333, I got so tired that I gave up once and for all, never really thinking about it since. So I wondered, what are some titles others think are overrated? I'd love to hear your opinions!

Play its game, you'll be interested to read the manga, but well I drop one piece too..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”

Dec 2018
Ok ok, different opinions and tastes exist, that's elementary knowledge of humans, getting worked up about it is usually a waste of effort.

Clannad - that little girl, whatever her name is, whatever she's supposed to be, moe or something? Absolutely insufferable and infuriating. I watched like 3 episodes of the first series of it and had to stop it at that point to prevent self-harm.

Kaiba - for some reason, I couldn't stand how the characters look and I think that's one of the reasons the story didn't grip me.

Kimi ni Todoke - 25 episodes of torture, how it has a rating of 8,12 is a mystery. It consists of 2-3 half-decent episodes at the start, 20 episodes of filler where nothing really happens other than that anxious rat crying because she can't do anything but blow things out of proportion, and then it finally ends. The ending wasn't even that good iirc. I might have watched the 2nd season but because I don't remember, I hope I did something more productive with that time.

Your Name - as much as I love the man, in my opinion this movie is his weakest. Then again, his weakest is a solid 8 or so so no hard feelings :). I think the source of it's popularity is a combination of his work finally reaching a worldwide audience (thus more people watching) and the story being less of a slow, lumbering tale of love and relationships.

May 2018
LordRukario said:
For me, One Piece.

Luffy is my #2 most hated anime character.

Sanji is just about the best thing in One Piece, and even then he's kinda ..ehh?? His constant search for the ladies gets annoying really quickly.
Jan 6, 2019 6:03 AM

May 2018
KyouKaiTen said:
GoldenWind said:
For me, there's no doubt that it'd have to be One Piece.

I only got so far into the anime before denouncing it as another bad series. I was egged on to read the manga however, as it was apparently superior. But yet again, I had to drop it due to how atrociously bad and tedious it became.

Play its game, you'll be interested to read the manga, but well I drop one piece too..

I did try the manga, that's what I was saying. It's just not for me, sorry.
Jan 6, 2019 6:03 AM

May 2018
WaterLord said:
xStarryEyed said:
Same. Mirai Nikki for me too. And also Franxx, Guilty Crown, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, and Tokyo Ghoul (Every season except TG:re 2nd season wich has a fair score)

When I started watching Darling in the FranXX, I thought it would be a good one, because the beginning was actually enjoyable. Unfortunately it got worse and worse after every episode and I don't understand why everyone likes Zero Two so much.
The first season of Tokyo Ghoul:re was super disappointing and it felt like a lot was happening but at the end nothing had actually happened. The second season was even worse and I dropped it. I haven't read the manga, but I've heard that it is very good and you can't even compare anime adaptation to it.
Jan 6, 2019 6:04 AM

Nov 2013
Nurguburu said:
Violet Evergarden. It was very boring.

Also Erased. But, at least, it was so bad it's good. Even the silly drama was more entertaining than VE.

I don't follow the hype train fo4 Evergarden too..
Erased, I think the first couple episode is good when we know nothing about everything, it gets boring later on..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jan 6, 2019 6:05 AM

May 2018
GoldenWind said:
xStarryEyed said:

Same, I hate Yuno so much <.< I also dislike Yukiteru because he was bitching about everything and focused on whining instead of getting anything done..

Is it even still going, or did it end? I've been completely ignoring its existence for so long now.

I don't know, and I'm not even sure if I want to know.
Jan 6, 2019 6:05 AM
Dec 2018
Hellsing Ultimate. Samurai champloo
Jan 6, 2019 6:06 AM

May 2018
GoldenWind said:
Gorochu said:
Jojo - All style no substance. Terrible plot/story worse than Fairy Tail. The plot is just repetitive stand battle of the week. No surprise season 5 sales flop. People only praise and have soft spot for Jojo because it's from old/retro manga.

Being a JoJo fan myself, I can safely say that there's a lot more to JoJo than it just being a retro manga. The 'Stand battle of the week' thing is most prominent in Part 3, and sure, it does get annoying ..but there's so much more than meets the eye. It's truly unique, and isn't like anything else out on the market.

That is why I said Jojo is just style over substance. Naah, there's not much to more than meet to eye.

I actually Stardust Crusader but the problem here is after that, they keep repeating the same formula again so it's getting old and repetitive.
Papa_ScorchJan 6, 2019 6:16 AM
Jan 6, 2019 6:07 AM

May 2018
Lain666 said:

Calm down. I'm not meaning any harm. So this thread isn't for you, and that's fine! I'm sure you can find a compelling argument on the forums elsewhere.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

30 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

66 by shiro-seishun »»
12 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
23 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.