Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime you can't stand, despite it having high scores/good reviews?

New
Jan 5, 2019 5:24 PM

May 2018
For me, there's no doubt that it'd have to be One Piece.

I only got so far into the anime before denouncing it as another bad series. I was egged on to read the manga however, as it was apparently superior. But yet again, I had to drop it due to how atrociously bad and tedious it became.

By chapter 333, I got so tired that I gave up once and for all, never really thinking about it since. So I wondered, what are some titles others think are overrated? I'd love to hear your opinions!
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2019 5:28 PM

Mar 2017
Re Zero...........................................................
Jan 5, 2019 5:29 PM

Nov 2013
Toradora - annoying characters, poor writing, lackluster ending and the animation suddenly goes off the deep end during the final episode. I really felt like I wasted my time even watching it because I was so disappointed at how it ended.
Jan 5, 2019 5:30 PM

Aug 2017
Violet Evergarden. It was very boring.

Also Erased. But, at least, it was so bad it's good. Even the silly drama was more entertaining than VE.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 5, 2019 5:32 PM

May 2018
Mirai Nikki, the best thing in this show was the first opening
Jan 5, 2019 5:33 PM

Dec 2015
kill la kill, halfway through i was bored as fuck so i just dropped it. what the fuck is up with the mc´s outfit as well?

Jan 5, 2019 5:36 PM

Jan 2015
I have 2 anime first it would have to be Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku This was a very mundane show where the majority of the anime was about meetings and don't be fooled by the word comedy I did not laugh once in all 13 episodes

The second would have to be Kill la Kill I have tried so much to watch this show as some of my friends recomended it but no matter how much I try I don't find this show interesting or enjoyable to watch.

Jan 5, 2019 5:41 PM

Jul 2016
Monogatari series its mediocre at it s finest.

Jan 5, 2019 5:42 PM

Dec 2014
Attack on Titan. I could not empathize with a single character in the show and I watched two and a half seasons to see what all the hype was about while going "yes but why should I care about any of this" in my head.

I used to hate Death Note for almost the same reason until I realized Ryuk is the main protagonist and now I just watch from his point of view as some humans show up, jerk themselves off over being true justice or whatever in the most overdramatic fashion then die.
Jan 5, 2019 5:42 PM

Jan 2013
Another one of this threads, well I'll just say AnoHana, Erased and Nichijou as usually.
Jan 5, 2019 5:48 PM

Feb 2017
Your Name, such a pathetic pandering movie they're making a live action version now
Jan 5, 2019 5:48 PM
Jul 2012
Unlimited Blade Works is only *okay* and Shirou is an awful, unlikable dork of a character.

Now you might argue it's better in the VN and let me tell you: it is not. Stay Night is the weakest part of Fate, easily.

Is this my first post? Did I use my first post to hate on Fate/Stay Night?
Jan 5, 2019 5:53 PM

Jul 2017
Hellsing Ultimate - didn't really enjoy the random transitions from comedic to dark/horror

Shirobako - Found the MC and a couple other characters to be quite annoying. Although apart from that I really did like how the show was done

Teasing Master Takagi - After about the first few teases the rest of them just became outright frustrating to watch and Takagi is just a giant asshole

Also Toradora I didn't find as 'emotional' as a lot make it out to be
Jan 5, 2019 5:54 PM

Apr 2015
No Game No Life - annoying af characters (don't get me started on Stephanie), pointless fanservice, boring plot. Basically about two OP siblings who can win every single game cause they're just that smart. I hated it so much I had to force myself to continue watching three more episodes cause of the hype until I couldn't stand it anymore and dropped it halfway through. Literally the only good thing about it is the vibrant colors and nice artstyle.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jan 5, 2019 6:02 PM
Aug 2018
I've always thought Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin was too unnecessarily cruel and tactless despite its shallow themes and characters. It was just laughable.
Jan 5, 2019 6:08 PM

Jan 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion
It's depressing
Jan 5, 2019 6:09 PM

May 2015
Clannad, I don't know if it's any good or if it's the masterpiece everybody says it is, I don't care, god, I mean those fking big eyes!
Jan 5, 2019 6:11 PM

Feb 2017
Toradora. No need to explain it since someone has already said it
Jan 5, 2019 6:19 PM

Jun 2015
There are a few but the worst offender's gotta be Revolutionary Girl Utena. I watched the first 10 episodes expecting it to eventually get good (people praise it so much...), but that never happened. All characters are insuferable, especially the two main girls, and the plot doesn't make any sense.
I don't know, maybe it does get good later. Or maybe it was never that good, just better than other anime from that time?

zieek said:
One punch man ("parody" I hate parody)
Gintama (same as above)
Steins gate (mc is annoying)
Boku no hero academia (ugly chara design)

Haha man, you couldn't trigger more people here even if you tried.
Jan 5, 2019 6:35 PM

Dec 2016
Steins; Gate
Clannad: After Story
Code Gayass R2
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
One Punch Man
Anohana
Jan 5, 2019 6:40 PM

May 2018
Code Geass. I'm sorry it's confusing as hell, and the only I liked was the openings.
Jan 5, 2019 6:43 PM
May 2016
wolf children, a lot of wasted potential is all i saw. annoying characters that made a lot of dumb decisions, so there was no reason for me to get invested in them, and minimal, forced character progression
cencoroll, absolutely horrendous color scheme, watching something that is mostly just various shades of grey, white, and black is an absolutely disgusting insult to my eyes, cannot remember a single trait from any of the characters because they're all just forgettable and did nothing to make them stand out, didn't care for the subject matter at all either
Jan 5, 2019 6:44 PM

Apr 2012
Death Note

Light is dumb, and only survives because of Deus Ex Machina throughout the series. It's also completely ridiculous to suggest that anyone could ever be proven guilty for the Kira murders. Literally the only evidence you could ever provide in court is total conjecture. It wouldn't ever even reach trial, and that reality totally deflates any sense of conflict in the entire series.
Jan 5, 2019 6:56 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
FLCL.
+Points for creativity
-Points for just being yet another "coming of age story" using sex as a selling point without making attempts to tell a decent story.
Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Prologue.
+Points for animation
-Points for going the cliché unsatisfying route.
Yuru Yuri.
+Points for character design
-Points for how shitty and two-dimensional these people are.
Jan 5, 2019 6:59 PM

Jul 2013
I guess the closest thing I couldn't stand with high a score is probably Goblin Slayer I mean everything there was probably insanely boring. Aside from that I don't really anything else.

Jan 5, 2019 7:03 PM

May 2018
Jojo - All style no substance. Terrible plot/story worse than Fairy Tail. The plot is just repetitive stand battle of the week. No surprise season 5 sales flop. People only praise and have soft spot for Jojo because it's from old/retro manga.
Tatami Galaxy - Repetitive
Mushishi - MC got no character development
Angel's Egg - too dragging and slow pace
Serial Experiment Lain - boring
Cowboy Bebop
Papa_ScorchJan 6, 2019 1:34 AM
Jan 5, 2019 7:08 PM
Dec 2010
Mahoutsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus' Bride) was boring af. A big mess and bad characters.
Jan 5, 2019 7:10 PM

Aug 2009
Since we're being honest mine would be Bakemonogatari. I finished it at least but I don't understand the hype at all.

The other one that springs to mind is Haruhi.
Jan 5, 2019 7:11 PM

Mar 2018
Tatami Galaxy, everything was too predictable.
_LeafJan 5, 2019 7:23 PM

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ YOᑌ.... ᑕOᑌᒪᗪ IT ᗷE TᕼᗩT YOᑌ'ᖇE ᒍᑌᔕT ᗩᑎ IᗪIOT?
~ Araragi Senpai

* .    *
.      ˚    *   ·
.  ✦             ✫ ·
.    ✢    °         ✧    .       
Jan 5, 2019 7:17 PM

Mar 2018
Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms

I fucking hate leilia.
Evangelion is shit
Jan 5, 2019 7:23 PM

Jan 2018
Steins Gate.
I'll get bashed because of this, oh lord.
Jan 5, 2019 7:42 PM
May 2017
Goodness, this list will backfire.

Boku No Hero Academia
Shingeki No Kyojin
Death Note
Toradora
One Piece (anime)
Fate/Zero

So from the first anime to the fifth, it was pretty explained clearly of why they’re annoying.
But for goodness sake, I don’t understand the hype behind Fate/Zero at all. I tried, went through until half of the second season, but I couldn’t. Maybe one day I’ll try to finish the series, but I still don’t get the “amazingness” of the first season, nor the first half of the second. Honestly I don’t really get why I feel this way either, because I adored Unlimited Blade Works.
Jan 5, 2019 7:56 PM

Apr 2018
Your Lie in April.
So many people call it a masterpiece, but i found it to be boring, predictable, melodramatic and i absolutely hated the constant out-of-place slapstick comedy.
Jan 5, 2019 9:38 PM
Jul 2018
Death Parade. It's just plain boring and unwatchable.
Jan 5, 2019 9:43 PM

Dec 2015
Mirai Nikki. The only good thing about it is the first OP.
Jan 5, 2019 9:59 PM

Jan 2010
I don't think there is any anime I can't stand tbh. Most boring and annoying anime I tend forgot about them fast. No lasting feeling such as hatred what so ever.

But maybe:

Tg:re S2
it doesn't deserve a score above 5.

GS
it's an enjoyable ride but nothing special and definitely doesn't deserve that high score.
Jan 5, 2019 10:00 PM

Jul 2016
Psycho Pass. The episodic stuff was fine but the second half is one of the most boring and pretentious shows I've ever watched. Why it has an 8.4 is beyond me.
And the art and character designs. Yuck!
Jan 5, 2019 10:03 PM

Feb 2015
Zeholipael said:
Unlimited Blade Works is only *okay* and Shirou is an awful, unlikable dork of a character.

Now you might argue it's better in the VN and let me tell you: it is not. Stay Night is the weakest part of Fate, easily.

Is this my first post? Did I use my first post to hate on Fate/Stay Night?

Congrats and welcome to the community. Also, if you didn't know... People die when they are killed.
Insert Text Here
Jan 5, 2019 11:32 PM
Jun 2017
Code Geass
I think I understand why it got such a high score, its an entry level anime. Even with that how can such a badly written show get so high. Maybe its just me and its too complex or something.
Jan 5, 2019 11:40 PM

Oct 2018
Clannad. It was boring af.. don’t understand why people keep praising it as a masterpiece
Jan 5, 2019 11:41 PM

Apr 2017
noragami. yukine and hiyori are annoying.
Jan 5, 2019 11:41 PM

Oct 2013
No Game No Life
Violet Evergarden
AnoHana
Shokugeki no Soma
Bakemonogatari saga (stopped at Nisemonogatari for now)
Also we can say SAO here too right ? Accel World was the same but god all the mecha designs were amazing.
TitadouJan 5, 2019 11:44 PM
Jan 5, 2019 11:58 PM

Apr 2018
Dunno
Fairy tail (awful writing)
Perfect blue (wasted potentiel)
Jan 6, 2019 12:06 AM
Mar 2018
One Punch Man for being unfunny and extremely one-note
Jan 6, 2019 12:08 AM

Dec 2018
Fairy Tail i cant get passed the first goddamn episode ,i cant explain why but of some odd reason i cant tolerate that anime
Jan 6, 2019 12:13 AM
Jul 2018
Goblin slayer, why does this piece of shit even exist?
Jan 6, 2019 12:35 AM

Nov 2017
My Hero Academia, the anime itself isn't that bad, but I started to hate it thanks to the community overhyping every fight and taking every little criticism as a personal attack.

And well one of the most important part of animes for me is the community, and if I can't have a normal conversation without having to praise every bit of the show, then why even bother watching in the first place ?

But then again I'm no expert, it's just from my point of view, I'm aware that this is just a small minority of people in the community, but a vocal one.
Jan 6, 2019 12:37 AM

Feb 2015
There're many I dislike, few I really can't stand.

One Outs. I burst out laughing every time I see people saying it's a good sports anime. Same for bringing up it's "psychological" aspect.

Yowamushi Pedal and Kuroko no Basket, for pretty much the same reason. At least the latter was really entertaining to watch in spite of all the bullshit they pull off, so I can stand it.

Tsuritama & Kiznaiver. Don't really remember why I hated those, but I still react by putting on an expression of disgust whenever I stumble on a clip of any of both.
rahillimitciJan 6, 2019 12:46 AM
Jan 6, 2019 12:52 AM
Apr 2018
Assassination classroom. I couldn't stand the comedy.
Jan 6, 2019 12:52 AM

Apr 2008
Someone has a different opinion form my own. How terrible! Help!

It may seem revolutionary to some, but there are no series/books/etc. that appeal to everyone and people have different reasons for liking and disliking the same show. I sincerely don't understand what is so hard to understand about it.

Rather than hearing which series someone disliked, I would rather read a compelling argument why series X is doing great/bad at what it tries to do(showing romance, making form zero to hero story) or how good/fresh/different it is compared to shows of the same genre. I believe it would be a basis for a far more interesting discussion than simply stating ‘I didn’t like X, because I don’t like genre X’.
Lain666Jan 6, 2019 1:13 AM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 6 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
2 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

972 by Animekiralover »»
6 minutes ago

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

25 by QPR »»
33 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

29 by 0arche »»
1 hour ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

92 by Dracowyn »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.