automatically delete accounts that haven't logged in for 6 months
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 21, 2019 6:53 AM

Jan 2019
Do it. We all know you snooze you lose.
Jan 21, 2019 7:00 AM

Jan 2013
I think that would be a good move.
If one doesn't visit the site in that long a time, they hardly should care if their account gets deleted.
Jan 21, 2019 6:47 PM
Jul 2016
Don't agree with this. Something more reasonable could be to delete only accounts that are mostly empty, have basically never been used, and haven't logged in for more than 5 years. If you can find an algorithm to do that, it might be worthwhile. Also, I think users should be given the option of deleting their account if they want to.

Accounts that had lots of anime entries and/or forum posts etc should only be deleted after 120 years IMO, as at that point you can be sure the user is dead. 60 years might also be just about acceptable. Maybe if someone could find some statistics on how likely an account is to be logged into again after X years, that would help in making a decision on this policy.
Jan 24, 2019 8:01 PM

Aug 2015
um how about no?
Jan 25, 2019 4:01 AM

Nov 2011
My account would've been deleted because I didn't actively start using it 3 years ago.

Jan 25, 2019 4:04 AM

Apr 2012
Silly idea. What if someone just loses interest in anime for a year, but then goes back to it?
Jan 25, 2019 9:31 AM

Oct 2018
It's funny to see people complaining that 6 months is too short a time. NarutoForums and other sites that I've come from allow up to 3 months hihi. It's saddens me to see so many negative posts here. If someone can't post for at least 3 months than clearly they lost interest in these forums and more than 50% of those accounts are empty teehee. If those people happen to loose their names than next time they should try to at least just loggin once in a while for the sake of not loosing their account's username. (Cue the opposing replies)

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jan 25, 2019 10:48 AM

Mar 2016
There are many people who go inactive for a year or more because they need to focus on their studies and such. A friend of mine is in the air force and goes inactive for many months because he does not get internet access there. Imagine if he came back and his account were taken away. And yes, he does return. This is just a horrible suggestion.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Jan 25, 2019 12:48 PM

Aug 2015
J_LEE_C said:
Ardanaz said:
why tho

I see absolutely 0 reason to do this aside from clearing up names. If the names are all we care about, could always do something where usernames get changed to some random name like User162423 or whatever after like 3 years of inactivity.

I like ^^^ this idea. That way some people that had pretty decent/good usernames but left MAL forevs can have those usernames freed up for incoming/current members.

Yes. @anime @manga have both been inactive for long enough.
Time to send some justice their way.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Jan 26, 2019 4:16 PM

Apr 2012
I've been known to go a long time without logging in due to life and such. I've always appreciated that my account was still here when I was able to return. If inactive accounts are clogging up server space then I think one year would be a better time frame than only six months. I also think email warnings would need to be sent a month in advance and every week until the last week when they'd go out every day.
A hero will sacrifice the one he loves to save the world. A villain will sacrifice the world for the one he loves. I'll take the villain.
Jan 26, 2019 4:20 PM

Apr 2012
L_o_l_i said:
[center]It's funny to see people complaining that 6 months is too short a time. NarutoForums and other sites that I've come from allow up to 3 months hihi. It's saddens me to see so many negative posts here. If someone can't post for at least 3 months than clearly they lost interest in these forums and more than 50% of those accounts are empty teehee. If those people happen to loose their names than next time they should try to at least just loggin once in a while for the sake of not loosing their account's username. (Cue the opposing replies)

It's not just losing the account name. It's losing all the data as well. I'd never be able to populate my list again and I like having a complete list. There are many people with jobs that take them away from activities they love for many months at a time. It doesn't mean they've lost interest. Some have, sure, but many haven't. I just finished a live-in caregiver position for seven months and I wasn't able to watch anime at all so I wasn't on MAL at all during that time. A year is a much more reasonable time frame for an activity that can come and go in a person's life.
A hero will sacrifice the one he loves to save the world. A villain will sacrifice the world for the one he loves. I'll take the villain.
Jan 26, 2019 9:36 PM
先輩

Apr 2016
6 months just seems too short. honestly theres many reasons why some people may not be online for 6 months, anime fans in the military is one, also maybe an anime fan gets seriously ill and has a long recovery ahead of them so they may not been able to watch anime/manga enough to bother logging in to update. hell im in a normal life and sometimes i can go 3 weeks easy without logging in because sometimes im not interested in any on-going series. if anything after a year send an email thats linked to the account issuing a warning that if they dont become active within 2 weeks their username will be put back in the pool and they will have a chance at claiming it with their next log in
Jan 27, 2019 7:58 AM

Oct 2018
ToshiKata said:
It's not just losing the account name. It's losing all the data as well. I'd never be able to populate my list again and I like having a complete list. There are many people with jobs that take them away from activities they love for many months at a time. It doesn't mean they've lost interest. Some have, sure, but many haven't. I just finished a live-in caregiver position for seven months and I wasn't able to watch anime at all so I wasn't on MAL at all during that time. A year is a much more reasonable time frame for an activity that can come and go in a person's life.
No excuse fot at least loggin in to make sure your account stays active. I'm sure you can kill a minute of your time as oppose to other things we waste time on. Been part of the NF site for 13 years and I've seen more than half of the empty accounts stay that way for up to 7 years.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jan 27, 2019 8:27 AM

Oct 2016
Whether those inactive accounts are present or not it has no effect on your life. Don't be too nosy.
Take for instance a person cant be active on mal for hard circumstances for over 6 months and then he would end in despair to see his account deleted if he made profile, animelist design etc. Recreating would be a very tedious process
If you try to find out who or what I am all that's waiting for you is despair
Jan 27, 2019 8:35 AM

Nov 2013
One of the dumbest ideas I've seen in a while
Jan 27, 2019 1:30 PM

Feb 2018
imagine coming back from a 6 month deployment, kicking your feet up, popping open a cold one, and getting ready to enjoy some anime, only to find your MAL accoutn was deleted because some random guy is bugged by empty accounts
Jan 27, 2019 4:55 PM

Oct 2014
6 months is too short 5 years would be adequate though.
Jan 27, 2019 6:19 PM
Oct 2010
I agree with the others, this is a bad idea. 6 months is like a school semester. For example, what if I'm busy and don't have time to watch anime during those 6 months? After the 6 months, I finally have a break to relax and came back to MAL so I can log in to update my list after a nice episode of whatever's new for that season, only to find out that my account was deleted? All the years I spent on that list is gone forever and the mods have no way to recover it. That would suck.
Jan 28, 2019 9:05 PM

Feb 2015
Change months into years, then, sure.
Jan 28, 2019 9:39 PM

Apr 2015
6 years, maybe. 6 months is too soon.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 29, 2019 12:29 AM

Oct 2017
But then MAL wouldn't be a popular anime site anymore!
May 13, 2019 6:12 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
seriously. Deleting accounts because of inactivity is a horrible thing to do anywhere.

It's fine if inactive accounts get backlogged/cleaned but could be restored if user returns.
It's great if user can request of account deletion and data backuping.

People have issues, reasons, situations where they simply might not able to use certain service for years. And having collateral damage of losing account for such reason is simply unfair.

May 16, 2019 11:52 AM

Nov 2015
I didn't log in for half a year once, so I'd be devastated if my account were deleted. I also don't log in to update my list that often, so it just seems like a bad idea as a whole.
May 16, 2019 2:05 PM

Jan 2015
I don't like this idea.

I, for one, worked hard on my profile, blogs and list and I would be mad as hell if it was all deleted just because I didn't log on for any length of time, no matter how long.

This would be like punishing people for having a life away from this web site and that isn't right.
ArillionMay 16, 2019 2:09 PM
May 16, 2019 4:12 PM

Jul 2016
I created my account on August 2016 and did not log in until I got back into Anime during December 2018. This thread is a bad idea, people can leave their accounts for as long as they want.
May 16, 2019 4:23 PM
Mar 2011
sometimes i do long in in 6 months
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 16, 2019 4:28 PM

Jul 2016
Blarey said:
One of the dumbest ideas I've seen in a while

The DUMBEST idea I have seen in a while honestly.
May 16, 2019 6:49 PM

Oct 2014
Having usernames change to an automated random user number would be a good way around things if we've truly lost the ability for usernames to stolen from inactive accounts upon request. Deleting the account is a bit extreme since some people actually do come back to their account or their friends might want to look back on them.

In an email notifying that their account name will be changed I think it must tell them exactly what it will be changed to just in case they care to recover it years later. Retired moderators and people with over 100 anime, manga, or forum posts on their account should also be exempt since they clearly had some interaction with the site before their leave and their account may be visited.
May 16, 2019 7:29 PM

Jun 2009
half of my friends list is people that don't visit this site anymore. sometimes i don't log in for months at a time. i don't want my account, or theirs, to be deleted.

i don't know any of you newfags.
May 16, 2019 11:31 PM

Nov 2012
Yikes! 6 months?!?!? My account would of been toast at one point.
May 29, 2019 8:40 AM

Feb 2010
Even 6 years or 10 years would be a terrible idea. The scores of users from 10 years ago should still be part of the average score for shows to really give an accurate picture of how the show was perceived, which shows have stood the test of time etc... If we start only counting scores from the last 3 or 6 years or whatever, because everything from before that gets deleted, we might as well rename the site into RecencyBias.com, or remove the average score feature completely because it has become utterly meaningless.

There's a surprising lack of awareness of this issue in this thread, everybody is just talking about names and 6 months being too short. But there is a fundamental problem with just deleting old accounts of any age on a DB site like MAL which makes use of every account to get a large sample size for its average scores. The smaller and more biased that sample size is, the worse the results.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 29, 2019 8:44 AM
Apr 2016
Why? That's literally forcing people to login whilst they're trying to move on, even WHILE they are moving on, some come visit sometimes. Horrible idea, absolutely horrible.
May 29, 2019 12:53 PM
Jan 2015
Terrible idea. My account would've been gone if it were some 6 months bull. There are also accounts where the owners have passed away, so it's also memories for their friends.
May 29, 2019 3:46 PM

Jun 2007
I didn't watch anime for almost a decade. I'm glad my MAL account was still here when I came to it.
May 29, 2019 6:38 PM

Aug 2017
-Shigeko said:
taking into account the fact that lots of users left MAL for good i was thinking of making it more alive (i mean less ghost accounts and more real ones) by eventually permanently deleting those that haven't been ONLINE for the past 6 months. if needed, an anime styled warning after 3 months "visit us, we miss you. - MAL fam"

might sound lame at first, but it'll keep this place clean and lively!

I happened to not use MAL for about a year until I got back into it recently. Maybe instead of permanently deleting them you can put them into a "suspended" state where they can't be seen publicly until the user logs back in.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 29, 2019 11:44 PM

Dec 2015
That would be too short of a period until deletion. Way tooo short. (I mean the rules for requestiong account names are already set with a very long period if there exists a list and the account was active at some point in the past.)

Maybe ... just the scores someone gave could be removed from calculating the overall score for anime and the toplist. (But taken into account again once he logs in and gets active again.)
Jul 6, 2019 6:41 PM

Sep 2018
Maybe after +3 years of inactivity, but definitely not 6 months for deleting accounts.
Jul 6, 2019 9:50 PM

Aug 2009
...We're still talking about this? We still need to affirm this this is a dumb idea?

Jul 7, 2019 8:14 AM

Oct 2018
I could see this compromise: account is 1 or more years old and the last online date is never.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Jul 29, 2019 3:32 PM

Nov 2018
Nah. Seems like a bad idea to me. I would be pissed if I didn't log on for a long time, then came back and all my shit was gone. Especially for users who want to keep track of start/finish dates.
Jul 29, 2019 3:36 PM

Jan 2018
You literally won't find any ghost accounts unless you take the effort to dig around to find them.
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Jul 30, 2019 12:23 AM

May 2008
-Shigeko said:
taking into account the fact that lots of users left MAL for good i was thinking of making it more alive (i mean less ghost accounts and more real ones) by eventually permanently deleting those that haven't been ONLINE for the past 6 months. if needed, an anime styled warning after 3 months "visit us, we miss you. - MAL fam"

might sound lame at first, but it'll keep this place clean and lively!

One of the most retarded suggestions I've ever seen, bravo. I've had breaks from anime and therefore using MAL for longer periods of time than your account exists, and I am supposed to be punished for that? Please allocate more attribute points into your intelligence.
Jul 30, 2019 5:00 AM

Feb 2015
why should I care about those user that didn't log-in for a year or even more? I do not care but is there a reason to delete the acc?
Jul 30, 2019 5:29 AM
May 2019
They should delete all the fake accounts at least.
Jul 30, 2019 12:55 PM

Oct 2017
Only accounts that basically have very little to no activity should be deleted after a duration, whether it be forums, anime watched, etc.
If they want to come back, they could just remake an account. It shouldn't be all that hard and they basically have nothing to lose.
But yet again, that'd just make it complicated for MAL and I care about characters getting added to the database more than anything else.
Jul 30, 2019 2:48 PM
May 2016
I can't say I agree. I started my account when I was like 16 and I have been pretty inactive the last two years soooooooo I'm really glad that now that I have time to get back into anime that my account is still here
Jul 31, 2019 5:10 PM

Jul 2016
imaging not logging in for 6 months and see all your progress being deleted... if i ever stopped watching anime I still would want to be proud for all the anime I watch in all those years
Feb 11, 2020 4:53 AM
Jul 2018
This is an absolutely horrible idea, do not even suggest it as a joke please and this thread should have never been opened. MyAnimeList is a database of anime and manga, it is a timeless site and accounts should never have expiration date, users can return after years and there should never be an unwilling change of their username just because someone else wants to steal it, everyone has their own schedule.

removed-userFeb 12, 2020 12:55 AM
Feb 11, 2020 5:24 AM

Dec 2018
You funny little jester. Oh stop with that adorable sense of humor will u? What if u got sick for a year, and got back forgetting every title u've watched? Don't damn blabber why MAL is trash when democracy could not have worked with ignorance.
. . .
Feb 11, 2020 6:50 AM

Mar 2012
@Kineta She save my life by delete account :)

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Are there any plans to revamp mal on mobile?

Akuya - 7 hours ago

2 by Alexioos95 »»
36 minutes ago

» An option to hide Explicit Genres from anime/manga list

animegamer245 - May 8

3 by traed »»
Yesterday, 12:22 AM

» Add an option to view (and display) ratings with a 5 star scale (allowing half stars)

Bergioyn - May 6

3 by Bergioyn »»
May 7, 2:10 PM

» New category for manga lists

Aristotle417 - May 7

0 by Aristotle417 »»
May 7, 11:05 AM

» forum rules and blogs

leyaf - May 5

3 by S_h_a_r_k_93 »»
May 7, 1:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.