Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 22, 2018 11:16 AM

Oct 2014
this show has me lost. the exposition at the beginning of some episodes where they just rattle off donzens of chinese names leaves me glassy-eyed and emotionally vulnerable. it's too hard to keep all of them straight. why couldn't they have gone with some easy names like Connor, Jake, or Bradley?
Dec 22, 2018 11:29 AM

May 2013
Because Chinese animation studios do not give two shits of a flying fuck about western audiences.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Truly a Divine Comedy
Dec 22, 2018 11:59 AM
Aug 2011
I don't speak Chinese and I haven't consumed enough Chinese media in general to where names get easier over time so I feel you.

You get used to it but one problem is also that each person or place has like 3 names/titles.
Dec 22, 2018 2:06 PM
Nov 2017
I’m chinese and I also have a hard time remembering all the names
Dec 22, 2018 6:13 PM

Dec 2018
At first it was hard for me to remember all the names, but eventually got used to it especially when reading the novel and manhua at the same time.
Dec 22, 2018 6:20 PM

Jul 2013
Aye, it's not the easiest thing to get used to. Thankfully i've been reading chinese novels for awhile so i'm used to it, but even so, it can be difficult. I'd recommend reading chinese novels to get used to the names..

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Dec 22, 2018 6:35 PM

Dec 2018
Fuchsia said:
Aye, it's not the easiest thing to get used to. Thankfully i've been reading chinese novels for awhile so i'm used to it, but even so, it can be difficult. I'd recommend reading chinese novels to get used to the names..

The novel truly helped me get used to all the names faster than I'd expect, it make things much easier.
Dec 24, 2018 5:40 AM

Jul 2015
I'm mostly just hoping to remember by their looks honestly, way too many names and they all also feel so similar it's impossible for me to remember them.
Dec 24, 2018 11:11 AM

Jan 2013
0207xander said:
this show has me lost. the exposition at the beginning of some episodes where they just rattle off donzens of chinese names leaves me glassy-eyed and emotionally vulnerable. it's too hard to keep all of them straight. why couldn't they have gone with some easy names like Connor, Jake, or Bradley?

Hahaha. You, sir/madam, have a sense of humour.

There is a helpful chart out there:

Jan 6, 2019 2:10 PM
Dec 2018
I'll be quite honest even as a Chinese person myself, it is too confusing to remember all the names and it's easy to get lost. It's a good thing though, for example each character's names have multiple meanings that reflect the temperament and actions of the character (it's like foreshadowing, if you're a non-Chinese speaker that little detail/hint goes either unappreciated or missed). I remember someone posting that WWX's name means no envies, his sword suibian literally means whatever so his attitude is free and without bounds, unrestricted much like his adopted clan's motto to achieve the impossible (doesn't that ring a bell to how he approaches fighting and cultivation?). Maybe it's not something people will choose to care about, yet I do because I certainly don't remember the last time in recent history where writers took the pains and liberty to include even minute details such as this. For me personally, it's something I can appreciate for the efforts and brings out enjoyment out in wanting to learn more about the MDZS lore.
Apr 5, 2019 9:48 PM
Jul 2018
Whenever I find a chinese/korean show it's always dreadful to remember the names since they all sound so similar. Oh well, I don't pay much attention, I am sure if the show is good it will be easier to memorize the important ones.
Apr 6, 2019 4:51 AM

Oct 2014
Ligkonakos said:
Whenever I find a chinese/korean show it's always dreadful to remember the names since they all sound so similar. Oh well, I don't pay much attention, I am sure if the show is good it will be easier to memorize the important ones.

Don’t worry it isn’t
Apr 8, 2019 9:40 AM

Jun 2013
This show is rated so high despite being a Chinese made anime wth

May 21, 2019 7:27 AM

Aug 2008
toxxo said:
Why is this on MAL anyway?

is not the single one, plus why shouldn't be?
:D
The spider is watching
May 22, 2019 2:28 AM
Jul 2018
I even have trouble remembering japanese names, nevermind the chinese
May 22, 2019 2:29 AM
Jul 2018
TakunDes said:

Because the show is actually pretty good. Especially the animation and soundtrack.
May 23, 2019 1:25 PM
Dec 2016
Not only the names but i also had to take speed reading lesson it seems like 2 chinese words = 1 complete setence
Is there ans Chance we get eng dub does some1 has any news
Jul 21, 2019 12:13 AM

Jul 2016
Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one who thought this. This show has a high rating yet I'm honestly having trouble understanding it.
Jul 21, 2019 11:59 AM

Sep 2013
Xstasy said:
dany_elle1908 said:

is not the single one, plus why shouldn't be?
:D

Because it's not anime. And if you say that it is then you have to accept the fact that western shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender and RWBY are anime as well and that they should be on MAL too you can't have it both ways.

Is it hard to understand or are you thick? It's pretty common to have all these Asian shows in a single site. The same thing happens to China and Korea in the manga section in this site and with dramas from Japan, China, Taiwan etc. in K-Drama sites. Or should these be removed? By your logic, this site shouldn't even have Japanese comic books, since they are manga and not anime (MAL stands for MyAnimeList, so the animations from Korea and China are as close if not more to the name than manga from Japan). So, yes, you absolutely can have it both ways. These sites reunite media from specific countries in Asia and not from the whole world.
Jul 21, 2019 12:05 PM
May 2019
Wintovisky said:
Xstasy said:

Because it's not anime. And if you say that it is then you have to accept the fact that western shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender and RWBY are anime as well and that they should be on MAL too you can't have it both ways.

Is it hard to understand or are you thick? It's pretty common to have all these Asian shows in a single site. The same thing happens to China and Korea in the manga section in this site and with dramas from Japan, China, Taiwan etc. in K-Drama sites. Or should these be removed? By your logic, this site shouldn't even have Japanese comic books, since they are manga and not anime (MAL stands for MyAnimeList, so the animations from Korean and China are as close if not more to the name than manga from Japan). So, yes, you absolutely can have it both ways. These sites reunite media from specific countries in Asia and not from the whole world.

Like I said anime are cartoons made in Japan. Cartoons that are made in Korea and China are not anime by the definition, and if they can be included on this site then so should western cartoons like Avatar: The Last Airbender and RWBY. I was just pointing out the obvious double standards that's all.
XstasyJul 21, 2019 12:09 PM
Oct 6, 2019 4:43 AM
May 2018
If you can read Chinese or understand just by listening to it
DON'T WATCH IT WITH ENGLISH SUBS
It makes things a hundred times more confusing
Nov 4, 2019 6:15 PM
Oct 2019
0207xander said:

it's basically this: the first two episodes take place in the present and the rest of the first season takes place in the past.
Nov 5, 2019 12:01 AM

Oct 2014
KurokiAyano said:
0207xander said:

it's basically this: the first two episodes take place in the present and the rest of the first season takes place in the past.

I'm living in the future so the present is my past
Nov 7, 2019 6:11 AM

Nov 2017
So many people here suggest reading the novel to understand the show.
In my opinion, if a shows needs additional material to be made sense of, its not a good show.
Jan 4, 2020 8:47 AM
Aug 2007
Aniik8pv2 said:
So many people here suggest reading the novel to understand the show.
In my opinion, if a shows needs additional material to be made sense of, its not a good show.

You don't need to read the novel to understand the story, I haven't read it and I was able to follow the story, but you need to watch attentively to not get lost, and it also helps if you have familiarity with Chinese culture and the wuxia/xianxia genre. To lower the entry bar you might also want to familiarize yourself with the multiple names attached to the main characters before; it's not a necessity, since I didn't do it, but it will certainly help.
I do think that the animation team flubbed a bit on character design; that is, they should've made past-WWX and present-WWX-in-MXY's-body much more distinct looking to allow viewers to differentiate easier.
Dec 9, 2021 5:12 PM
Dec 2017
toxxo said:
Why is this on MAL anyway?

Because its not just Japanese but other types of East Asian media as well too.

Jan 20, 2022 4:04 AM
Aug 2018
It’ll grow on you. It’s literally the same naming scheme as Japanese except a lot less syllables.
Jan 20, 2022 4:06 AM
Aug 2018
Xstasy said:
Wintovisky said:

Is it hard to understand or are you thick? It's pretty common to have all these Asian shows in a single site. The same thing happens to China and Korea in the manga section in this site and with dramas from Japan, China, Taiwan etc. in K-Drama sites. Or should these be removed? By your logic, this site shouldn't even have Japanese comic books, since they are manga and not anime (MAL stands for MyAnimeList, so the animations from Korean and China are as close if not more to the name than manga from Japan). So, yes, you absolutely can have it both ways. These sites reunite media from specific countries in Asia and not from the whole world.

Like I said anime are cartoons made in Japan. Cartoons that are made in Korea and China are not anime by the definition, and if they can be included on this site then so should western cartoons like Avatar: The Last Airbender and RWBY. I was just pointing out the obvious double standards that's all.

Actually, Wintovisky has the winning point here. That’s how it typically plays out. Western cartoons are just another ball park entirely
Feb 4, 2022 6:57 PM
Sep 2020
That's because you're watching SPECIFICALLY a cultivation-genre show. Everyone has a birth name, courtesy name, and a title. And it doesn't help that MDZS is fast paced.

You're lucky that you didn't watch the Japanese-dub version. I watched the Japanese audio drama, where things were 1000x times more confusing because I have to learn everyone's Japanese name too.
Feb 8, 2022 12:57 PM
Lady of Floofs

Jan 2010
Thank god for this topic. I felt really stupid that I couldn't get through the first 2 episodes... I tried 2 or 3 times already to regain my courage and start watch again. It just bums me out, because I really loved Heaven Official's Blessing (Tian Guan Ci Fu) and was really getting into the vibes for Chinese shows.

In some bits it goes too fast and I will have to rewind the last 5 minutes over and over again. Then it just does more dialog of which half of it I can't comprehend. HALP! ;__;

Damnit... I just need to get through the first episode.... >.>
MALGRAPH____
Feb 8, 2022 12:59 PM

Oct 2014
astra_moon said:
Thank god for this topic. I felt really stupid that I couldn't get through the first 2 episodes... I tried 2 or 3 times already to regain my courage and start watch again. It just bums me out, because I really loved Heaven Official's Blessing (Tian Guan Ci Fu) and was really getting into the vibes for Chinese shows.

In some bits it goes too fast and I will have to rewind the last 5 minutes over and over again. Then it just does more dialog of which half of it I can't comprehend. HALP! ;__;

You don't need to get through the first episode, the show kinda sucks and you could just watch something else instead
Feb 9, 2022 12:19 AM
Lady of Floofs

Jan 2010
0207xander said:
astra_moon said:

You don't need to get through the first episode, the show kinda sucks and you could just watch something else instead

Fair point. Maybe I should just ditch this one and go for Ex-Arm or something. I heard that one was pretty good actually! Much easier to digest too :D
MALGRAPH____
Mar 7, 2022 6:33 AM
Oct 2018
0207xander said:
astra_moon said:

"The show kinda sucks" lol, you just dont understand it
Mar 7, 2022 6:36 AM
Oct 2018
TakunDes said:
Bc the show is good. Tf Chinese has to do with being 'rated high'? So they must be rated low? Smh
Mar 7, 2022 3:09 PM

Oct 2014
AyemRivaille said:
TakunDes said:
Bc the show is good. Tf Chinese has to do with being 'rated high'? So they must be rated low? Smh

Imma be honest, this was a troll thread I made over 3 years ago just because I didn't like the show and wanted to fuck around. I actually have taken 6 years of chinese in school so I understand it just fine. I just think the show sucks

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

valkiriana - Oct 10, 2018

103 by HaruYing »»
Mar 24, 2:12 PM

» I thought anime/manga from other countries was not allowed on MAL?

Kimiko-chan - Dec 14, 2020

5 by senekohan »»
Feb 19, 8:06 AM

» I'm telling you

egosumjohn - Dec 8, 2023

7 by Watch_Kuranado »»
Dec 11, 2023 1:35 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi Episode 8 Discussion

valkiriana - Aug 23, 2018

31 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:30 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi Episode 1 Discussion

Stardew - Aug 8, 2018

43 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 13, 2023 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.