Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2018 9:15 AM

Mar 2016
OG (Retired):
Goku

Big Three (Old Guard):
One Piece (Maybe the current accepted King?)
Naruto
Ichigo

New gen (The next Big three):
Deku
Asta
Saitama

The Overlooked (Dark Horses):
Natsu
Edward
Gintoki
Gon

I'm curious since DB isn't what it once was (new broly movie incoming aside) and that two of the old big three are dead, Luffy still going strong enough I would consider he's the current king of shounen. I've compiled a list above of what I think are the next big three shounen, and a few series that I think may have been passed over. What's the community's take on this. I'm curious to who the accepted next big few shounen are or if it's more of a free for all at the moment, needing a couple years to settle on who are definitely are the powerhouses of the genre? Interested to hear your views, thanks

Saitama shouldn't be on there that was a mistake
ghouly-coolyDec 9, 2018 10:15 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 9, 2018 9:32 AM

Feb 2010
Okay so why is One Piece the only one where you use the name of the anime and not the name of the MC? Is there some deep meaning to that? :>
But yes, OP is the undisputed king of battle shounen still. I don't think that's debatable unless you're just talking purely in terms of subjective perceptions.

That aside, I don't see how you can call Goku retired. The Super manga is still ongoing and there will probably be more anime too at some point. You might not like it (Personally I do enjoy Super) but that doesn't mean the franchise is dead or retired, it's still very much alive and kicking.

Same for Naruto. Boruto is still ongoing, both the anime and the manga. Far from dead. Only Bleach is dead for good. Good riddance.

As for the 'new Gen' I don't think you can count Saitama/One Punch Man in that category, at least to me it is a totally different type of show than the others on that list. It lacks a lot of the classic battle shounen tropes and is more of a comedy/sakuga fest than a battle shounen where growth and improvement and development are usually central themes. Saitama doesn't grow or develop, he is presented as he is from the start, a walking and talking meme. There is no tension because the show establishes that he is invincible from the start. There is no improvement, because there is no need for it. There are no real threats or antagonists because we all know he is stronger than them no matter what. The only aspect that reminds me of battle shounen is the hierarchical organization structure. Plus there is only 1-cour of anime so far. To me a battle shounen needs to be more long-running than that. So I don't think he belongs in this discussion at all.

As for the overlooked ones, again Gintama is a bit of a different type of show that deviates from the battle shounen concept in too many ways to really be comparable to the others. FMA isn't overlooked, there's just a lot of people who hate battle shounen but like FMA so they aren't willing to admit FMA is a battle shounen. HxH is not counted most likely because of how unreliable the releases are, how infrequent. Nothing that can be done about that unfortunately, otherwise it would definitely be up there. And Fairy Tail is just not good enough to be in any top 3 of any time period, imo.

What I think is being overlooked is World Trigger. Admittedly, it is probably for similar reasons as HxH, being on a long hiatus and everything, but it is still 'alive' and I think it's definitely good enough to be considered one of the new generation contenders, especially if it ever gets an anime continuation.

Nanatsu no Taizai might also be on that contender list for me. It is definitely up there.

There is also Toriko which you didn't mention which could belong in the 'Overlooked' category of the past. It was definitely a contender for one of the biggest new gen titles at some point but never really made it.

And I guess D.Gray-man might qualify for a mention as well, even tho I'm personally not a great fan of the franchise.

Personally Hero Academia is definitely the strongest contender to take a place alongside OP and other legendary titles at the moment. But I haven't seen Black Clover yet, to be fair.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 9, 2018 9:56 AM
Jul 2018
The moral of this thread is that Boku No Pico is the best Shounen.
Next.
Dec 9, 2018 10:03 AM

Mar 2016
You raise some very good points, for starters I completely missed I put One Piece instead of Luffy 😅. For me DBS fell abit flat, I liked it and i guess it was unfair to call it dead/retired, however i don't feel it's as big as it once was, especially compared to One Piece atm. I get what your saying about saitama, in retrospect it wasn't right to include him on this list.

Boruto might be a good shout actually, I was put off after the first couple episodes so I might retry it and get stuck in. I haven't seen Gintama either but was under the impression it fit in this list more that so I should probably watch that too. FMA a brilliant series but yeah, I know it's shounen but alot of people don't seem to think the same it seems, I've been kinda disconnected from the community lol.

I love Nanatsu no taizai but I don't think it has enough of a following atm however with it getting into the arc it is, it might gain more popularity to contend. I've always loved Fairy tail so I think it should be a contender for a top 3 (If we put OP on a pedestal above them) however I'm sure many people will disagree with me on that. HxH is infrequent but I think it stands up after time. Finally the reason I didn't mention Toriko was, honestly, I kinda forgot about it until u mentioned it since I haven't watched it.

Black Clover is really good in my opinion however it takes some getting past the first like 10/12 episodes to kinda get into it (I realise Asta's screams are more annoying and frequent than a speech from Naruto about his ninja way and how he's gonna be hokage)
Dec 9, 2018 10:05 AM

Mar 2016
Laciani, if I could react to posts yours would get a thumbs down XD, just no haha
Dec 9, 2018 10:07 AM

Oct 2013
You said the new guard of shounen, but yet one punch man is in your list, but it is in a seinen magazine?
Dec 9, 2018 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
gokhan13 said:
Laciani, if I could react to posts yours would get a thumbs down XD, just no haha

You uncultured swine who don't appreciate a real masterpiece.
People nowadays smh
Dec 9, 2018 10:12 AM

Mar 2016
keragamming said:
You said the new guard of shounen, but yet one punch man is in your list, but it is in a seinen magazine?

Yeah my bad, I shouldn't have put him on there
Dec 9, 2018 10:12 AM

May 2017
Asta?
Do people really like Black Clover?
Are you joking?

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Dec 9, 2018 10:14 AM

Mar 2016
zBluee said:
Asta?
Are you joking?

Yes
I do at least (and think it can become big)
No (^-^)
Dec 9, 2018 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
zBluee said:
Asta?
Are you joking?

BC is certainly one of the most hated/perhaps the most hated shounen out there. It sucks, I know but still it has a fanbase that can be considered "HUGE" even Gon has already took it's place..wait, wait a goddammn second, I forgot...asta never been a candidate in the next big 3 shounens. How could I forgot that.

The moral is that ASTA yealls to much dammit!
removed-userDec 9, 2018 10:24 AM
Dec 9, 2018 10:22 AM

Aug 2018
zBluee said:
Asta?
Are you joking?

It's pretty decent imo, at least better than BNHA from my point of view. It represents what a battle shounen is about and it has some cool shit, the biggest problem it has is that Pierrot is on charge.

Karakuri circus is the best battle shounen airing right now imo.
Dec 9, 2018 10:24 AM

Aug 2018
gokhan13 said:
keragamming said:

Yeah my bad, I shouldn't have put him on there

You should add Karakuri circus instead :P
Dec 9, 2018 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
DaCraziGuy said:

It's probably the only shounen being aired right now LuL
Dec 9, 2018 10:27 AM
Apr 2016
Why the fuck people still think one punch man is a shounen?!!
Dec 9, 2018 10:31 AM

Aug 2018
Laciani said:
DaCraziGuy said:

It's probably the only shounen being aired right now LuL

Boruto, Black clover, Radiance and FT are airing, I also consider BNHA because it's going to air soon and it finished airing recently.
Dec 9, 2018 10:32 AM

Mar 2016
Honestly like Toriko Karakuri Circus hasn't even been on my radar that should be. So DaCraziGuy, what would your list be in that case? If you had to list?
Dec 9, 2018 11:48 AM

May 2017
DaCraziGuy said:
zBluee said:
Asta?
Are you joking?

It's pretty decent imo, at least better than BNHA from my point of view. It represents what a battle shounen is about and it has some cool shit, the biggest problem it has is that Pierrot is on charge.

But I don't think it's popular.
It's exactly what Naruto was,
But no one is kid anymore, then no one is liking it.
Or am I mistaken?
At least BNHA has really good animation and good fights, let's be honest that the numbers of animes with "good animation" and "good fights" are pretty few, and we already know that the MC is gonna be the GOD HERO.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Dec 9, 2018 1:06 PM

Mar 2016
zBluee said:
DaCraziGuy said:

Or am I mistaken?
At least BNHA has really good animation and good fights, let's be honest that the numbers of animes with "good animation" and "good fights" are pretty few, and we already know that the MC is gonna be the GOD HERO.

I'd say there are kids watching it and probably loving it, like we did back in the day with Naruto, and hey I'm not a kid either but I'm really liking it enough to stay up to date for 60+ weeks on the trot Also I think the animation has been rather inconsistent of late but BC has got really good animation at times and really exciting fights in it too. I don't think it's as good as BNHA but it shouldn't be discounted so easily, its up and coming and hey, Naruto got so popular I think it could follow suit.
Dec 9, 2018 1:16 PM

Jun 2012
Pullman said:

There is also Toriko which you didn't mention which could belong in the 'Overlooked' category of the past. It was definitely a contender for one of the biggest new gen titles at some point but never really made it.

!!!!!TORIKO!!!!! !!!!!
ahhhh :..(
Dec 9, 2018 1:39 PM

Aug 2018
zBluee said:
DaCraziGuy said:

Or am I mistaken?

1 - BNHA has a great animation, but 90% of the fights are bad. It's just an exchange of shouts with 3 or 4 "special moves" for each fighter. Deku vs Bakugo was the only good fight in the last season IMO, all the others don't deserve to be mentioned. S1 only All might vs Nomu and S2 the fight vs Stain. Those are the only good ones.

2 - You should check Karaakuri circus, it has both, good animation and fights but with likeable caracters with real development and plot twists. But still, it has some cliches (nowhere near BNHA tho).

3 - I agree that good animation with good fights is pretty uncommon.

4 - From my POV Naruto is one of the best shounens, it has a great balance between decent characters, interesting plot with plot twists and awesome fights with amazing animation (Fillers are bad but you can skip them). I don't think that BNHA can even be a shadow of Naruto.

Btw, I grew up with DB, Saint seiya, yu yu hakusho and Ruroni Kenshin not Naruto so nostalgia is not a part of my opinion.
Dec 9, 2018 1:49 PM

May 2017
gokhan13 said:
zBluee said:

Or am I mistaken?

I'd say there are kids watching it and probably loving it, like we did back in the day with Naruto, and hey I'm not a kid either but I'm really liking it enough to stay up to date for 60+ weeks on the trot Also I think the animation has been rather inconsistent of late but BC has got really good animation at times and really exciting fights in it too. I don't think it's as good as BNHA but it shouldn't be discounted so easily, its up and coming and hey, Naruto got so popular I think it could follow suit.

I was just being short.(Does this phrase make sense in english? dunno)
I know there are people who really like it.
But I can't imagine shounen with bad animation being popular nowadays
Most people are just tired of that kind of story and characters, you know.

Dec 9, 2018 2:54 PM

Mar 2016
I don't exactly get what I mean by being short. But it's true that bad animation won't make an anime popular, however I remember select episodes of Naruto where the animation was subpar, and I reckon as BC goes on the average animation is going to improve and the very well animated parts with the amazing fights will outshine the bad animation.
Dec 9, 2018 2:56 PM
Apr 2018
gokhan13 said:
OG (Retired):
Goku

Big Three (Old Guard):
Naruto
Ichigo

Deku
Asta
Saitama

Natsu
Edward
Gintoki
Gon

I'm curious since DB isn't what it once was (new broly movie incoming aside) and that two of the old big three are dead, Luffy still going strong enough I would consider he's the current king of shounen. I've compiled a list above of what I think are the next big three shounen, and a few series that I think may have been passed over. What's the community's take on this. I'm curious to who the accepted next big few shounen are or if it's more of a free for all at the moment, needing a couple years to settle on who are definitely are the powerhouses of the genre? Interested to hear your views, thanks

It’s same old garbage series with a paint job
Dec 9, 2018 3:03 PM

Mar 2016
ecchiharemgeek said:
gokhan13 said:
OG (Retired):
Goku

Big Three (Old Guard):
Naruto
Ichigo

Deku
Asta
Saitama

Natsu
Edward
Gintoki
Gon

It’s same old garbage series with a paint job

Sorry which one is the same garbage serieswith a new paint job? unclear? And what's it a copy of?
Dec 9, 2018 3:36 PM

Dec 2016
Goku "retired" lol xD

How can anyone think that when Dragon Ball Super was a money-making machine for Toei, their highest-grossing IP by a mile, the Broly movie that is coming now is without doubt going to be a massive success and the TV series with all certainty is going to return in the coming years....

Dec 9, 2018 3:38 PM

Jun 2015
rn the most common anime i see ppl who are new to anime talking about/making avas/headers out of on twitter is bnha for sure. aside from bnha OP is still up there obviously and maybe hxh? idk
Dec 9, 2018 5:17 PM

Oct 2013
There is no new big three, anime fandom isn't dominated by three shows like it used to be, Boruto/naruto, One punch man, HxH, Gintama, SNK, Nanatsu no taizai, BnHA, Black Clover, Food Wars, DB, and Fairy Tail have all equal popularity to some degree and just by being similar to them doesn't make them a big three, anime fans have moved on and in these recent times particularly in the west, it's more about watching the hottest and trendiest thing in a season rather than being stick to a particular show.

With that being said, I still do think One piece is undisputed king of shonen and maybe among of the recent shonen titles, BnHA has the closest chance to be the next biggest thing that will spearheading the genre but we will see about that in the next more couple of years.
Dec 9, 2018 5:38 PM

Oct 2012
Pullman said:
FMA isn't overlooked, there's just a lot of people who hate battle shounen but like FMA so they aren't willing to admit FMA is a battle shounen.
FMA might be battle shounen in plot content but not structure. I define the archetypal battle shounen structure as multiple clearly delineated arcs, long-running, with the MC gradually becoming stronger (in stages), gaining new powers, reputation, or whatever the metric is. FMA lacks all of these aspects. It is succinct, has a clearly defined beginning, and a clearly defined end. From this perspective, Shokugeki is more battle shounen than FMA. I think plot structure is a much better way to define genre because it is a consequence of the narrative. Take Saki and 3-Gatsu no Lion, both shows about games, but drastically different. Saki's tournament focus is probably closer to Kuroko no Basket, which is a basketball anime like Slam Dunk, but Kuroko is probably closer to Yousoko no Ballroom or Yuri on Ice, due to its fast paced dramatic structure, and not anything at all like Slam Drunk, which is more like Prince of Tennis or Diamond no Ace.

tl;dr I don't think plot content by itself is a very useful indication of genre.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 9, 2018 5:58 PM

Oct 2013
xchyssa said:
There is no new big three, anime fandom isn't dominated by three shows like it used to be, Boruto/naruto, One punch man, HxH, Gintama, SNK, Nanatsu no taizai, BnHA, Black Clover, Food Wars, DB, and Fairy Tail have all equal popularity to some degree and just by being similar to them doesn't make them a big three, anime fans have moved on and in these recent times particularly in the west, it's more about watching the hottest and trendiest thing in a season rather than being stick to a particular show.

With that being said, I still do think One piece is undisputed king of shonen and maybe among of the recent shonen titles, BnHA has the closest chance to be the next biggest thing that will spearheading the genre but we will see about that in the next more couple of years.

king of shounen interms of sales in japan yes, but if we are talking about quality I'm sure a lot of people including myself will have something to say about that.
Dec 9, 2018 6:11 PM

Feb 2010
katsucats said:
Pullman said:
FMA isn't overlooked, there's just a lot of people who hate battle shounen but like FMA so they aren't willing to admit FMA is a battle shounen.
FMA might be battle shounen in plot content but not structure. I define the archetypal battle shounen structure as multiple clearly delineated arcs, long-running, with the MC gradually becoming stronger (in stages), gaining new powers, reputation, or whatever the metric is. FMA lacks all of these aspects. It is succinct, has a clearly defined beginning, and a clearly defined end. From this perspective, Shokugeki is more battle shounen than FMA. I think plot structure is a much better way to define genre because it is a consequence of the narrative. Take Saki and 3-Gatsu no Lion, both shows about games, but drastically different. Saki's tournament focus is probably closer to Kuroko no Basket, which is a basketball anime like Slam Dunk, but Kuroko is probably closer to Yousoko no Ballroom or Yuri on Ice, due to its fast paced dramatic structure, and not anything at all like Slam Drunk, which is more like Prince of Tennis or Diamond no Ace.

tl;dr I don't think plot content by itself is a very useful indication of genre.

Well, I disagree that FMA has none of the typical, structural battle shounen elements. Maybe my list of those elements is different (more extensive) than yours, but since it's one of my oldest favorite genres and I pretty much watched every battle shounen I know I'm somewhat confident that I have a good feel for the subgenre beyond just plot content. So while I'd agree that FMA is less 'pure' of a battle shounen and it doesn't have all the elements you could list and other elements are more limited in scope than they would be in most battle shounen, I see enough structural similarities to still associate FMA with that type of show to a degree. It does have a fairly straight-forward arc structure for the most part (new location, new arc), it has expanding worldbuilding (from their village to the capital to the whole country to eventually the neighbouring countries), it has hierarchical, battle oriented organizations on both sides, it has a detailed 'battle system' in alchemy etc....

To me it is simply a more condensed version of a battle shounen that doesn't use battle shounen elements for the sake of it, but still uses a lot of them whenever it fits the story. So it's like a compromise between more focused storytelling and typical battle shounen elements. Arguably showing how you can best make use of some of those typical tropes and use their very universal appeal without falling into the typical traps for that genre that make lots of people lose interest in it.

As for your series of sports/game anime comparisons, I'm slightly confused but I definitely disagree that Kuroko is close to Ballroom in any significant way (and from what I know about Yuri on Ice not to that either, but I have not watched that one yet) and Prince of Tennis and it's overbearing parody elements couldn't be more different from shows like Diamond no Ace or Slam Dunk which are more on the realistic and serious side within the sports genre.

I agree that plot content isn't the most useful indicator (tho I would still include them alongside structural and atmospherical indicators when talking about subgenres etc), but I simply can't agree on whatever indicator you are using to group these sports anime together instead. Sports anime happen to be one of my favorite genres as well (I always liked long series and battle shounen and sports often are) so I frequently categorize them in my head or for recommendations according to aspects like realism in how the sport is portrayed, degree of seriousness/drama, and how big of a role the sport plays in the overall story (In most sports anime the sport is central and the character development or drama instrumental, while in something like Cross Game or Ping Pong the characters are central and the sport is instrumental which is why they are a different type. It's similar to how I'd set Saki and 3-gatsu apart). But that just as a sidenote.

P.S. Shokugeki is definitely something I put under the battle shounen umbrella as well and probably in a more central position than FMA which is closer the periphery for me. So no arguments there.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 9, 2018 6:24 PM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:
xchyssa said:

king of shounen interms of sales in japan yes, but if we are talking about quality I'm sure a lot of people including myself will have something to say about that.
Yes. It's justified by the sales and culture in Japan, and that's not debatable unless you're talking in terms of subjective quality. Truth to be told. That's a another subject matter need to be discussed throughly in western fandom.
Dec 9, 2018 7:28 PM

Oct 2013
xchyssa said:
keragamming said:

Yes. It's justified by the sales and culture in Japan, and that's not debatable unless you're talking in terms of subjective quality. Truth to be told. That's a another subject matter need to be discussed throughly in western fandom.

Yes that is what I am getting at, I'm talking about the quality. I like one piece btw, just don't see it as the best shounen.

taking my bias aside, I think full metal alchemist is the most loved shounen series. Maybe it deserve to be called king base off the sheer percentage of persons that love it.
keragammingDec 9, 2018 7:32 PM
Dec 9, 2018 8:37 PM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:
xchyssa said:

Yes that is what I am getting at, I'm talking about the quality. I like one piece btw, just don't see it as the best shounen.

taking my bias aside, I think full metal alchemist is the most loved shounen series. Maybe it deserve to be called king base off the sheer percentage of persons that love it.

Facts aside, I consider One Piece, a king because of its life span and the journey. One piece has been going on for 21 years, gaining momentum as an all round adventure epic and in my case, I followed the manga for almost 10+, so I couldn't quantify or describe properly on how much I adored this series since then.

Although, I do agree that FMA is among the best quality shonen who deserve the title as king as well.
Dec 9, 2018 9:02 PM

Apr 2018
zBluee said:
Asta?
Are you joking?

I'm fairly sure it's selling like hotcakes over there in Japan
Dec 9, 2018 9:03 PM

May 2017
Was Dragon ball ever part of the big three ? I don't remember something like that.....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2018 10:01 PM

Aug 2018
Not including One Piece, I'd say My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, and Seven Deadly Sins from sheer popularity.

I never really got into it, but JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is always pretty popular.

Black Clover and Radiant are just... okay (the former getting better as it runs). I've also heard good things about Dr. Stone, so they'll probably be pushing out an anime adaptation of it soon.
Dec 9, 2018 10:29 PM

Aug 2018
This is just me but I find the whole concept outdated, considering the original big 3 ran throughout the year and One Piece still is. With the seasonal model I don’t think any show has achieved the stranglehold that those 3 did.

But if I had to pick, My Hero Academia definitely, Attack on a Titan maybe HxH is a contender if they ever get to produce more, Fairy Tail for the sheer number of episodes and I think it was always
Considered a bit of a second tier compared to OP, Naruto and Bleach

Black Clover: not just yet. It’s okay. Adaptation has gotten better so we’ll see where it goes

Seven Deadly Sins is a good shout but because of Netflix I don’t think it will be popular.

Gintama, One Punch Man and FMA can’t be considered cause they are entirely different kinds of shows.
FireballKnuckleDec 9, 2018 10:46 PM
Dec 9, 2018 10:36 PM

Nov 2016
zBluee said:
Asta?
Are you joking?

I think that it's at least good for battle shounen fans, even tho you can easily tell that the adaptation has some pacing and quality issues.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 9, 2018 11:44 PM

Aug 2014
OP you went full retarded.

In case you didn't know OPM isn't Shounen, it's seinen.

Gintoki are out of context of being a shounen like to match the big three..
That also includes Gon and Edward.

Natsu belong to the old guard that failed to hit top eversince it released.
Dec 10, 2018 12:01 AM

Jun 2017
gokhan13 said:
OG (Retired):
Goku

Deku
Asta
Saitama

Goku retired? Saitama? idk if your joking or your just too high
Dec 10, 2018 3:02 AM

Mar 2016
zieek said:
1st generation
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece

2nd generation
Gintama
Fairy Tail
Hunter x Hunter 2011

3rd generation
Black Clover
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

And

Boku no hero academia vs Jojo, I guess or maybe neither of them. After all One Piece is still relevant, or so I've heard. Why don't you decide which is the last of the 3rd generation.

I like this list, this is a good list, it never occured to me to consider JoJo as a shounen so that's something to think about.
Dec 10, 2018 5:02 AM

Mar 2016
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:
Was Dragon ball ever part of the big three ? I don't remember something like that.....

It wasn't in the big three but is accepted as the original king shounen.
Dec 10, 2018 5:06 AM

Feb 2018
None of the new battle shounen ll have the same impact and influence on the fanbase, the big three had.
So I don't think there ll be new big three any time soon.
Dec 10, 2018 5:08 AM

Dec 2016
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:

Not the textbook "Big 3", but you could say there was a sort of "Big 3" in the 80s, and Dragon Ball was part of it along with Fist of the North Star and Saint Seiya (the two latter very, very overlooked in most anime related sites).
Dec 10, 2018 7:52 AM

Dec 2015
How about the olg guard from before the big 3? Battle shounen like Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin (don't know if it counts) were massively influential.
Dec 11, 2018 1:06 PM

Mar 2016
holysauron said:
How about the olg guard from before the big 3? Battle shounen like Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin (don't know if it counts) were massively influential.

I'm not sure if Rurouni Kenshin would count, maybe but I'm not sure it has the right tone, if so I loved that series though. Even though I haven't seen it even I can't deny Yuu Yuu Hakusho was massive and impactful, I lump it with Sailor Moon quite abit for some reason, probably because they were around the same time and were both so popular.
Dec 11, 2018 1:17 PM

Jan 2015
bnha and new big three, nice joke man, now take that garbage somewhere else
Dec 11, 2018 1:23 PM

Oct 2015
I read manga; my "Big Three" are One Piece, Kimetsu no Yaiba, and Dr. Stone.

Promised Neverland is an honorable mention, it's not exactly a battle shonen, more like an adventure.

Shonen anime fans are going to be really happy in 2019 =w=
Dec 11, 2018 1:53 PM

Aug 2010
natsu definitely doesnt deserve any undo praise

come to think of it, Fairy Tail and Black Clover are of similar quality. Which is to say they are just O K. They pander to the lowest of our weeb instincts, with little originality or any kind of ability to tell good stories. Tits, action and yelling define these shows.

the big three are largely dead, a battle one piece technically won long long ago. Though boruto is still around. However boruto isnt releasing in the same climate naruto did, and has much less chance of becoming anywhere near as popular.

One punch man isnt designed to become our long term shonen savior, and will likely remain a short series.
gintama is a comedy first, so right away its not going to pull the shonen crowd properly
FMA and HxH are generally loved as shows that are more than just shonen. So they kind of transcend the need to enter that battle.

The next king will show up only after one piece ends, until then Hero Aca is going to be the show to look out for. It indulges in all the tropes, but with skill and style that makes them work in its favor.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

10 by TheMechaManiac »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

32 by Ex-Aid »»
8 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

67 by Spunkert »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
22 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.