Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2019 6:48 PM

Apr 2014
lmfao at ppl thinking the plot twist was supposed to be something. U were supposed to notice from a mile away thats why the reveal happens in the first episode and the first chapter of the manga, and not episode 3. u are not smart for figuring anything out.
Jan 10, 2019 7:08 PM

Jul 2016
The OP is nice, I really liked it and I think it will become of my favorites from this season. However, I didn't expect it to be this "lively".

Regarding the episode, I don't read the manga but this one felt very rushed, being honest. I didn't expect the "mystery" to be revealed in the very first episode... I mean, I would have preferred the first episode to be fully focused on the world building instead of explaining its basics in just 15 minutes but that's just me.

RIP Conny although I didn't feel anything for her being dead. I guess it was too soon for me to develop any attachment.
Some interactions felt a bit forced too. Especially the talk between Emma and Norman after they return from the gate.

Overall, not the worst first episode I've ever watched but it wasn't good either. But that aside, I'm still looking forward to seeing how the kids will manage to escape from Mama.
Jan 10, 2019 7:30 PM

Feb 2015
The episode started with three kids talking about what is outside the limited territory where they live. These three kids are Emma, Norman and Ray, the oldest (11 years old) of a community of children that live in an orphanage. In the morning they wake up and have breakfast, later they have a kind of mental test, to have time in the evening to play outside. It is Conny day to leave the orphanage, so she and Isabella (caregiver) went to the principal grid/entrance of the place. Emma noticed that Conny forgot a teddy so she, along with Norman went to the entrance, only to discover that she was dead in the back part of a truck, they could hear some voices so they hid under the truck. A kind of monsters went out of the door and talked about the place being a farm of humans as food for other creatures. The two of them could escape before being discovered. Isabella was blamed for someone being there.

This was way more than I thought. The tone that this show managed changed completely from the beginning to the end. The animation and music were pretty cool. The designs are great and I don’t know why, this is not 3D, but sometimes it feels like very realistic (and solid colors). The storytelling, introducing a small amount of characters to recognize them, so we could empathize with them. That Isabelle’s look. Pretty amazing. Absolutely waiting for the next episode.
Atlas77Jul 16, 2019 10:47 PM
Jan 10, 2019 8:06 PM

Mar 2018
Kelgair said:
"Sure, go in blind!" They said. "You'll like it!" They said.

Aww, so cute! Hah, this isn't gonna end well is it?

The smile of death
Jan 10, 2019 8:21 PM

Aug 2018
moodie said:
lmfao at ppl thinking the plot twist was supposed to be something. U were supposed to notice from a mile away thats why the reveal happens in the first episode and the first chapter of the manga, and not episode 3. u are not smart for figuring anything out.
Most of us did see the plot twist coming. How it builds up to it is what I am talking about. It establishes what seems to be a peaceful life and then ruins it.

Jan 10, 2019 8:30 PM

Jul 2014
>Some characters have potato faces
>They were born and raised in farm where they get "cultivated"

Nice one
Jan 10, 2019 8:55 PM

Apr 2016
That was fucking brutal
Jan 10, 2019 8:57 PM

Jun 2017
It was a great episode. I liked the animation and soundtrack. Opening was pretty good. Ending song was meh. We are just getting started, so excited for next episode. Their faces look a bit weird though. I think I will get used to it eventually.
Jan 10, 2019 9:12 PM

Feb 2017
Those faces are still really weird, but overall pretty nice
𝘼 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙙𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮
Jan 10, 2019 9:20 PM
Jul 2008
I noticed Killua's voice!!
Jan 10, 2019 9:34 PM
Jan 2019
A great first episode there was some really great charracter animation and the big reveal at the end really hits you like a truck due to how well it was directed although i was pretty worried since this is the director of elfen lied working on this but it looks like hes improving now i just hope they keep this strictly a horror series and dont turn it in to an action one halfway through it has all the elements of a great horror series
Jan 10, 2019 9:58 PM
Mar 2015
The episode was so good! Definitely the anime I'm looking forward to the most this season. :o
Jan 10, 2019 10:20 PM

Nov 2013
Seriously I don't feel thrilled at all watching this adaptation unlike reading the manga back then, maybe because I know what will happen, but I think something is lacking, I don't know..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jan 11, 2019 12:38 AM
Aug 2017
It gives me chills of Over The Garden Wall From CN and Maze Runner the first book with all this. It looks like a coming of age story using heavy meaning of death as the main problem.
Jan 11, 2019 12:43 AM
Feb 2012
KyouKaiTen said:
Seriously I don't feel thrilled at all watching this adaptation unlike reading the manga back then, maybe because I know what will happen, but I think something is lacking, I don't know..

instead of lacking I would say that it eveything went too fast
Jan 11, 2019 1:19 AM
Jun 2017
As an anime only- I am going to watch this series... I LOVE THE STORY AND ITS INTERESTING...
Jan 11, 2019 1:32 AM

Jun 2014
I loved this ep so much. Could this already be the anime of the year ? We shall see.
Jan 11, 2019 2:12 AM

Apr 2016
This is a great setup for a dark anime.
Also Ray's reactions are suspicious as hell, did he knew that they were being raised as livestocks before Emma and Norman found out?
That sudden transition to mom at the end of the episode was creepy as hell
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2019 3:38 AM

Apr 2015
This is promising! I don't know the manga, but the first episode was so good! The last year (2018) was not great for me on the anime front. I dropped a lot of them (or have them on hold). I'm happy to say I found a promising one in 2019! :D
Jan 11, 2019 4:25 AM

Jan 2017
OwlHeart said:
This is promising! I don't know the manga, but the first episode was so good! The last year (2018) was not great for me on the anime front. I dropped a lot of them (or have them on hold). I'm happy to say I found a promising one in 2019! :D

I read 30 chapters last week and safe to say, this series will not let anyone down for winter season.
Jan 11, 2019 4:59 AM

Jul 2016
Alyssa said:
The pacing of this episode is incredible, knowing a bit about the show going in I felt an air of unease, but not knowing exactly how it would play out left me wondering how the rest of the episode would go. And that last few seconds, it really gives you enough anxiety that you *need* to see the next episode. Great work on the production here, really looking forward to the next episode

I was amazed by the pacing. Anime only watcher and I was entranced.
Jan 11, 2019 6:02 AM
Aug 2017
I come to this thread as a manga reader, and simply want to explain and extrapolate on the differences between the first chapter of the manga and the anime adaptation and what I thought about it. I'll look at it as an adaptation more so than a standalone product.

I'm just going to go on a brief rundown of the differences between the manga and anime for a second. The anime was certainly paced a lot slower than the manga. There were additional tag scenes added in that served mostly to pad the episode and to characterize Don (I hope that's his name) slightly more, though they are mostly erroneous. You can definitely see that they were stretching out the first episode in order to have the shocking reveal at the very end, and this causes some minor pacing issues, especially in comparison to the manga. Other then that padding, the anime takes time to focus on Ray's reactions to Norman and Emma when they begin to discover the truth, which, for the sake of the spoilers, I won't extrapolate on, just know that this is a good touch and will be interesting in retrospective. The anime also added additional scenes with Conny before she is murdered in the final scene, which I think was a nice touch to make her feel like a more organic character. Overall, the anime is a competent adaption...

However, I can't help but feel that it lacked subtlety and had some points of rather incompetent directing. In terms of subtlety, it was completely ruined by the close-ups of the serial numbers on their necks accompanied with some sort of booming sound effect that really felt like the director was trying to hammer your head in with 'the point' and 'the spooky mystery'. Now, the manga wasn't exactly subtle either, but come on, you can replace those with Inception sound effects and it would still be the same. Additionally, the anime really focuses in on what the kids think of the outside world, suspiciously boxed in with a fence, which drives the viewer's attention to that outside world and continued to beat the point in. Now, I think these scene might be an interesting character point for a couple of the characters, but it really ruins the mystery and the uncertain atmosphere that really made the first chapter of the manga impactful. Finally, while I think the animation and art direction is overall quite good, there are some rather jarring cuts throughout the episode that completely take the viewer out of the experience, again accompanied by those booming orchestrations the sound team seems so infatuated with. But, I suppose these are mostly minor complaints.

Overall, it was fairly decent, and, though it certainly wasn't perfect, it is still a good start to the series and a decent adaptation. I can't fault it too much.
Jan 11, 2019 6:18 AM

Jan 2015
Well, the production looks solid and the plot is mildly interesting but I can't help but feel like I've seen something like this elsewhere before.
Jan 11, 2019 6:43 AM

Jul 2016
This was amazing and I mean AMAZING! the animation and art style are incredible to say the least and the op and ed are just perfect.

I can't wait to see what this show has in store
Jan 11, 2019 8:54 AM
May 2014
some of the issues I had with shows like Perfect Insider remain here from the director
like the heavy handed unrealistic dialogue, the convenient changes in character behavior (how the show can go from extremely morbid to hopeful out of nowhere), and all together feeling rushed. The fact we get such an insane reveal after being in this world for 10 minutes just feels way too rushed and so the actual emotion of it is just not that strong
also this show probably has one of the laziest cuts I have seen in a while with the truck sequence (we see them get away from under the truck and then it just cuts to... them back in their world? How did they escape all those creatures and Mother lmfaooo)
however I do have positives to say about the first episode. One, the premise is extremely interesting. The score is great and helps heighten certain scenes. Despite mostly bad directing/editing choices, the final scene was a great tonal cut (the hopeful speech at the end that is just cut back to Mother). And the voice acting is really great. One of the rare times that a character yell-crying actually felt genuine
Also the framing in the actual reveal scene is great. The fact it changes to a handheld POV frame is very effective

All together I am very interested in this concept and it does enough right for me to keep watching. But I knew that the god awful director they picked for this would limit this show’s potential

I’m happy this is only 12 eps. I hope they pick a new director for s2
Jan 11, 2019 10:49 AM
Oct 2018
Honestly my only complaint was too much hinting at the serial numbers and that weird camera jump at the fence dialogue. Someone talks camera switches for half a second, someone else talks, repeat etc. Minor editing critique but I still wished the serial numbers were much more subtle instead of "hey look, look here, see these, yea yea!"
Jan 11, 2019 11:06 AM

Mar 2017
Okay, that was epic!
Jan 11, 2019 11:40 AM

Dec 2016
the epi. one was really amazing
Jan 11, 2019 11:43 AM

Mar 2009
Finally an exciting series to look forward to. Loving the OP and the story so far.
Jan 11, 2019 12:25 PM

Aug 2016
I didn't know ANYTHING about this series and this first episode pretty much caught my attention. Great animation, the story looks interesting enough, I can't wait to see the other episodes. Hope it won't be rushed.

お持ち帰り (/^-^(^ ^*)/ ❤
Jan 11, 2019 12:35 PM

May 2018

Welp RIP to Conny,

Sp what will isabella the so called mommy will do next???
JiangHaoyi1979Jan 11, 2019 12:38 PM
Jan 11, 2019 12:37 PM

Dec 2016
Kakorat859 said:
I come to this thread as a manga reader, and simply want to explain and extrapolate on the differences between the first chapter of the manga and the anime adaptation and what I thought about it. I'll look at it as an adaptation more so than a standalone product.

I'm just going to go on a brief rundown of the differences between the manga and anime for a second. The anime was certainly paced a lot slower than the manga. There were additional tag scenes added in that served mostly to pad the episode and to characterize Don (I hope that's his name) slightly more, though they are mostly erroneous. You can definitely see that they were stretching out the first episode in order to have the shocking reveal at the very end, and this causes some minor pacing issues, especially in comparison to the manga. Other then that padding, the anime takes time to focus on Ray's reactions to Norman and Emma when they begin to discover the truth, which, for the sake of the spoilers, I won't extrapolate on, just know that this is a good touch and will be interesting in retrospective. The anime also added additional scenes with Conny before she is murdered in the final scene, which I think was a nice touch to make her feel like a more organic character. Overall, the anime is a competent adaption...

However, I can't help but feel that it lacked subtlety and had some points of rather incompetent directing. In terms of subtlety, it was completely ruined by the close-ups of the serial numbers on their necks accompanied with some sort of booming sound effect that really felt like the director was trying to hammer your head in with 'the point' and 'the spooky mystery'. Now, the manga wasn't exactly subtle either, but come on, you can replace those with Inception sound effects and it would still be the same. Additionally, the anime really focuses in on what the kids think of the outside world, suspiciously boxed in with a fence, which drives the viewer's attention to that outside world and continued to beat the point in. Now, I think these scene might be an interesting character point for a couple of the characters, but it really ruins the mystery and the uncertain atmosphere that really made the first chapter of the manga impactful. Finally, while I think the animation and art direction is overall quite good, there are some rather jarring cuts throughout the episode that completely take the viewer out of the experience, again accompanied by those booming orchestrations the sound team seems so infatuated with. But, I suppose these are mostly minor complaints.

Overall, it was fairly decent, and, though it certainly wasn't perfect, it is still a good start to the series and a decent adaptation. I can't fault it too much.

Thats good to know that the anime and the manga are fairly similar. A friend recommended this to me and told me to go in blind as in not read the synopsis, that made me nervous and I expected a plot twist or a surprise but the way they portrayed everything was very good in my opinion and I enjoyed it.

I have a question tho, What is that flower in Coney's stomach, like when they looked at the back of the truck it seemed like she was stabbed with some sort of flower ?
Jan 11, 2019 12:53 PM

Oct 2014
Thank you Cloverworks for that amazing OST, animation, direction, and deciding to make the demons 2d.
Animus and mangos
Jan 11, 2019 12:55 PM

Jan 2018
That was great, can't wait for the next episode.
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
Jan 11, 2019 1:00 PM
Mar 2018
BrownOrbit said:
Kakorat859 said:

Thats good to know that the anime and the manga are fairly similar. A friend recommended this to me and told me to go in blind as in not read the synopsis, that made me nervous and I expected a plot twist or a surprise but the way they portrayed everything was very good in my opinion and I enjoyed it.

I have a question tho, What is that flower in Coney's stomach, like when they looked at the back of the truck it seemed like she was stabbed with some sort of flower ?
i'm afraid that's a spoiler. (manga reader here)
Jan 11, 2019 1:01 PM
Mar 2018
i have a feeling they're gonna rush a lot of things in order to fit 37 chapters into 12 episodes, but if they manage to at least put the other plot twists in the anime... you anime onlys have a big storm coming for you.
Jan 11, 2019 1:20 PM
May 2014
Is the air time listed on MAL accurate? The first episode seemed to have been posted early. Are they going to stick to the Friday schedule from here on out?
Jan 11, 2019 1:22 PM

Jan 2016
Okay start. Unfortunately I spoiled myself with the major twist at the beginning, but I'm interested to see how what looks to be a 'mindgame shounen' will turn out.

I was a bit annoyed at the dialogue in some areas, though. The characters seem to be explaining things that they should already know, like those kids explaining who the three main characters were: You've lived with them for at least 6+ years! Why are you explaining to yourself who they are?
Jan 11, 2019 1:33 PM

Mar 2012
gadboyz said:

--

THIS TWO SCENE MAKE ME ALMOST JUMPED OFF OF MY CHAIR, even though i already read the manga from the first chapter. Nice direction and storyboard.

YES, the demon isn't CGI. and their eyes is creepy. Its good.

the ending with Mom scared me
Jan 11, 2019 1:43 PM

Oct 2017
A1 often get teez at being a dice company, that they could roll a 1 that's absolutely dog shit like Persona 5 animation, but they can also roll a 5~6 and create something exceptional.

I'm surprised to announce that for The Promised Neverland, A1 finally nails it and roll a solid 5 from the first episode.

The pacing, execution, direction, character expression, atmosphere and music are all on point (I'd say it even surpass the source) and build up something that could be really special in the end.

As someone who already read half of the original series, I suspect that the anime would end at the point I suspect the 1st arc would end. The first arc is also the best part of the series as far as the source material goes atm, so if A1 could keep the quality as good as this first episode, this could be the anime of the season.
Ventus_SJan 11, 2019 1:48 PM
Jan 11, 2019 1:45 PM

Oct 2017
gryffindork00 said:
i have a feeling they're gonna rush a lot of things in order to fit 37 chapters into 12 episodes, but if they manage to at least put the other plot twists in the anime... you anime onlys have a big storm coming for you.

Wait, only 12 episodes?

That'd be abit of rush tbh.
However, if they make the final episode 48 mins maybe it should do.
Jan 11, 2019 1:49 PM
Jul 2015
Aruciel said:
Pretty much the entirety of Chapter 1 was adapted into this episode.

The soundtrack and visuals were amazing. The way they handled the twist was also really good. Great first episode.

I expected that considering most of the time, especially with Shonen the first episode is usually the first chapter.
Jan 11, 2019 1:51 PM
Jul 2015
JudoJD said:
Pretty disappointing tbh
All that hype yet you can tell what's going to happen from a mile away

For the people who've read The promised neverland....do the plot twists get any better onwards
I didn't not read the manga for one of the most predictable first episode turn of events I've seen in a while..."don't even read the synopsis. IT WILL SHOCK YOU REEE" sigh 😅

I read the manga and I can tell you they do get better. You have to remember that because it is an anime, they have to have other elements such as music and sound effects in certain places, the fact that the manga doesn't have that made the twist that much more surprising. With anime it's a different can of worms that can't have the advantage a manga has.
Jan 11, 2019 1:57 PM

Oct 2017
lasherluke said:
JudoJD said:
Pretty disappointing tbh
All that hype yet you can tell what's going to happen from a mile away

For the people who've read The promised neverland....do the plot twists get any better onwards
I didn't not read the manga for one of the most predictable first episode turn of events I've seen in a while..."don't even read the synopsis. IT WILL SHOCK YOU REEE" sigh 😅

I read the manga and I can tell you they do get better. You have to remember that because it is an anime, they have to have other elements such as music and sound effects in certain places, the fact that the manga doesn't have that made the twist that much more surprising. With anime it's a different can of worms that can't have the advantage a manga has.

Too lazy to search for the original post, but I'm responding to Judo.

You may think this is a horror/gore/ survival type of series, but expect something like early part of Death Note (The best part of Death Note too) . That's what it's all about.

It may surprise you in the way of how characters act/ think, ESPECIALLY villains and the 3 mcs, not the typical shock factor of brutality/ gore like most things of the same genre of this type. So you're in for a treat if you never read the source material. Trust me.
Jan 11, 2019 2:15 PM
Jul 2015
Ventus_S said:
lasherluke said:

Too lazy to search for the original post, but I'm responding to Judo.

You may think this is a horror/gore/ survival type of series, but expect something like early part of Death Note (The best part of Death Note too) . That's what it's all about.

It may surprise you in the way of how characters act/ think, ESPECIALLY villains and the 3 mcs, not the typical shock factor of brutality/ gore like most things of the same genre of this type. So you're in for a treat if you never read the source material. Trust me.

I agree, especially Emma, watch out for her because she will prove why she is not a typical shounen protagonist.
Jan 11, 2019 2:50 PM

May 2018
Damn I can't wait for the next episode I'M SO Existed
MERCENTESJun 26, 2019 5:55 PM
Jan 11, 2019 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
meh... didn't expect the villains to be monsters, and they sound pretty cliché
Jan 11, 2019 3:47 PM
Mar 2012
Nice animation remains clean like Cloverwork's previous work, with a bit more 3d camera for that horror genre. Osts are better now.
Rip BunnyGirl lol, did kinda expect some Shingeki no Shyamalan, but farm harvesting with oni/aliens? was quite surprising and directing well done.
Oh bland white uniforms & that testing scene (lol ditf reminders).
Emma looks a bit like Meliodas, took awhile to figure if guy or girl...
Wish the expositions were done better, most of them characters are just dumping info to people who already know, or stating things that can be indirectly shown/implied, like eating humans.
gophercgJan 11, 2019 3:52 PM
Jan 11, 2019 4:11 PM

Oct 2008
Lots of hamfisted exposition, shallow characters (even going as far as to label each one the 'athletic one', 'smart one', etc) and your classic OTT grimdark 'twist' coupled with hilariously warped facial expressions to hammer home just how horrifying it all is.

What this show seems to do surprisingly well is create tension. Lots of creative visual tricks and good use of sound to build dread.

Still, anime fans these days are so easily impressed.
Jan 11, 2019 4:53 PM

Feb 2018
DaisukiAishiteru said:
gadboyz said:

--

THIS TWO SCENE MAKE ME ALMOST JUMPED OFF OF MY CHAIR, even though i already read the manga from the first chapter. Nice direction and storyboard.

YES, the demon isn't CGI. and their eyes is creepy. Its good.

the ending with Mom scared me

IKR, i hope the impact of shock moment in the next episodes can be same or more.
Pages (12) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2019

316 by Glassviolin »»
May 14, 10:37 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by CryzzYT »»
May 7, 6:56 AM

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.