Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 4, 2018 6:26 AM
Mar 2018
So, I've been seeing RWBY popping up lately everywhere on places like amazon prime, crunchyroll, etc. and was wondering if this show is still going on or why it suddenly appears out of the ashes.
As far as I got the history, the show was just very ambitious with a somehow good story and better characters, but animation that needs to get used to to say the least...
However I thought that after Monty Oum died the show was basically cancelled or at least had no further production, yet it seems like there are new seasons appearing. Or have I just not gotten to the end yet and there actually always were 6 seasons?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 4, 2018 6:58 AM

Jan 2012
Nay. Monty died after just season 2. RoosterTeeth though decided to contiune the series and its currently as you say at season 6 by this point. But despie that, the only thing that is better with the show now is the animation everything else is either mediocre or just bad unfortunately (My opinion).
How I love a game
Nov 4, 2018 7:25 AM

Apr 2014
isn't crunchyroll splitting with funi and gonna lose like a bunch of series? i guess they are stocking up so the net loss of series isn't as high
Nov 4, 2018 8:17 AM
Mar 2018
RedPlaty said:
isn't crunchyroll splitting with funi and gonna lose like a bunch of series? i guess they are stocking up so the net loss of series isn't as high

Wasn't it Sentai Filmworks they were parting with? Or did amazon cancel their work with Sentai? There is at least some changes currently that weaken the competition, so let's blame it on Trump for now...
Nov 4, 2018 6:45 PM

Apr 2014
DonTrumpolino said:
RedPlaty said:

Wasn't it Sentai Filmworks they were parting with? Or did amazon cancel their work with Sentai? There is at least some changes currently that weaken the competition, so let's blame it on Trump for now...

not sure about whos splitting with Sentai but you can read more about the crunchyroll x funi split here
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1025862/update-to-the-crunchyroll-x-funimation-partnership?pg=0

sony bought funi and is taking back a number of series with them
Nov 5, 2018 1:17 AM
Mar 2018
RedPlaty said:

not sure about whos splitting with Sentai but you can read more about the crunchyroll x funi split here
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1025862/update-to-the-crunchyroll-x-funimation-partnership?pg=0

sony bought funi and is taking back a number of series with them

The japs are buying into the american broadcast market to save their own properties? Well, suits Trump after his national protectiveness of the markets, but damn that's gonna leave some tears for animation fans over there. But maybe europe will get some this time...
Nov 5, 2018 2:54 PM

Jul 2017
the animation has changed a lot from season 1 to now. As For Monty's death, it just delayed the show by a couple months, it didn't cancel it.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Nov 5, 2018 3:06 PM

May 2009
DonTrumpolino said:
So, I've been seeing RWBY popping up lately everywhere on places like amazon prime, crunchyroll, etc. and was wondering if this show is still going on or why it suddenly appears out of the ashes.
As far as I got the history, the show was just very ambitious with a somehow good story and better characters, but animation that needs to get used to to say the least...
However I thought that after Monty Oum died the show was basically cancelled or at least had no further production, yet it seems like there are new seasons appearing. Or have I just not gotten to the end yet and there actually always were 6 seasons?
The sixth season just started.

FWIW, they actually did have a lot of stuff planned even back when Oum died.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 5, 2018 3:08 PM

Feb 2010
@DonTrumpolino
in order to honor monty oums memory they are continuing the series. he had at lest like 12 seasons planned out before he died.

also the writer for familiar of zero died and the Light novel is still on going.

stories don't always end because the writer up and died.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 5, 2018 4:49 PM

May 2009
Also FWIW in the series lore they have only explored two of the four major populated continents; they're starting on the third with the sixth season.

And this isn't even counting the mysterious dragon-shaped continent that is apparently uninhabited.
Nov 6, 2018 12:43 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
RWBY kept getting better witch each season until after season three at which point it kind of lost its magic once they left Beacon Academy and hit the road (although definitely still has its moments). That being said in season four the animation quality got ridiculously good like it's actually kind of sad that a small studio like Rooster Teeth is better at 3D animation than Netflix and literally every anime studio.
Nov 6, 2018 1:10 PM
Mar 2018
Kyotosomo said:
[...] it's actually kind of sad that a small studio like Rooster Teeth is better at 3D animation than Netflix and literally every anime studio.

That reminds me a bit of the recent Dragon Prince stop motion 3D CGI accident. Well, the story is for children but the characters are good, and you kinda want to ship the mains, if it weren't for that scottish accent, but 12 fps in HD on the sole excuse that it's supposed to look authentic is ridiculous. Someone get Joji and make him tell NEtflix to just stop.
Nov 6, 2018 1:51 PM

May 2018
Anime_Emperor said:
I thought RWBY was not an anime because it isn't Japanese

It is not anime because it is not chinese cartoon for kids.
Nov 6, 2018 3:15 PM

May 2009
Kyotosomo said:
RWBY kept getting better witch each season until after season three at which point it kind of lost its magic once they left Beacon Academy and hit the road (although definitely still has its moments). That being said in season four the animation quality got ridiculously good like it's actually kind of sad that a small studio like Rooster Teeth is better at 3D animation than Netflix and literally every anime studio.
When it was at Beacon it was a magic school battle show, but now it's an adventure story.

alshu said:
Anime_Emperor said:
I thought RWBY was not an anime because it isn't Japanese

why do people still care about this
Nov 6, 2018 3:29 PM

Apr 2018
Fakegoose said:
the animation has changed a lot from season 1 to now. As For Monty's death, it just delayed the show by a couple months, it didn't cancel it.

Monty's death had a far greater consequence than just delaying the show. The guy was an amazing battle choreographer. His Dead Fantasy YT video and his work on Red vs. Blue's fights were a testament to his talent.
Now, i haven't kept up with RWBY after Vol. 2, but i sincerely doubt the battles in Vol. 3 onwards are anywhere near as exciting as when he was alive.
Nov 7, 2018 12:09 AM

May 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:

alshu said:

Because other people still call it anime...also ATLA, Castlevania, High Guardian Spice ect.

And RWBY is the most non-animesque from the bunch. It is a unique title, I don't understand why lump in it with the japanese mass produced shows.
Nov 7, 2018 12:57 AM

May 2009
alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Because other people still call it anime...also ATLA, Castlevania, High Guardian Spice ect.

And RWBY is the most non-animesque from the bunch. It is a unique title, I don't understand why lump in it with the japanese mass produced shows.
Ehh, it's got more noticeably anime-style art than ATLA and HGS. I don't know Castlevania well enough to say.
Nov 7, 2018 1:25 AM

Aug 2015
alshu said:

I'm a simple man. If it looks like anime, I will call it anime/
Nov 7, 2018 1:37 AM

Feb 2010
UrbanSpaceman said:
alshu said:

I'm a simple man. If it looks like anime, I will call it anime/

It's simple, there is no 'anime look'. There are a thousand different artstyles in japanese animation. You're just fooling yourself if you think there is one 'anime artstyle'. Or you haven't watched very much anime. But just look at your favorites ffs. How do Redline, Tatami Galaxy, Kuchuu Buranko, Monster or Aria have anything that you can identify as one 'anime look'?

Classification by artstyle is just bullshit. People simplify and generalize in their heads but it does not reflect reality.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 7, 2018 1:40 AM

May 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Ehh, it's got more noticeably anime-style art than ATLA and HGS.

What?
Naaah.
To me it looks closer to those recent chinese 3D CGI shows.

UrbanSpaceman said:

I'm a simple man. If it looks like anime, I will call it anime

Then The Dragon Prince and Star Wars Resistance are anime too.
Nov 7, 2018 1:42 AM
Mar 2018
Don't the japanese themselves call everthing anime that is, well, animated? And the only ones that brag about what is and isn't are the west/american weeaboos?
Nov 7, 2018 1:50 AM

May 2018
DonTrumpolino said:
and isn't are the west/american weeaboos?

Are you telling me that I am not a weeaboo and I should stop acting like one?

Ah, what a relief!
Nov 7, 2018 2:44 AM

Feb 2010
DonTrumpolino said:
Don't the japanese themselves call everthing anime that is, well, animated? And the only ones that brag about what is and isn't are the west/american weeaboos?

Do you know what bragging means? Idk how it applies to simply making a distinction. Yes, the japanese don't make that distinction with the term 'anime'. Neither does the west if we're using the term 'animation' tho. But there's no harm in making additional distinctions based on area or culture of origin.

Just like you can talk about french or japanese or german or american film, or just about movies in general, you can talk about japanese/east asian animation, american animation, european animation etc.. Anime is just a convenient term to make that distinction in western languages. Don't want to make it? Just talk about animation in general then. Noone's stopping you.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 7, 2018 9:59 AM

Aug 2015
Pullman said:

It's simple, there is no 'anime look'. There are a thousand different artstyles in japanese animation. You're just fooling yourself if you think there is one 'anime artstyle'. Or you haven't watched very much anime. But just look at your favorites ffs. How do Redline, Tatami Galaxy, Kuchuu Buranko, Monster or Aria have anything that you can identify as one 'anime look'?

Classification by artstyle is just bullshit. People simplify and generalize in their heads but it does not reflect reality.

I've never said that there is only one artstyle. But still there are patterns that are used in most anime, and because of them I can and I will generalize and call it "anime art style".

Anime_Emperor said:

But thats not what anime is. Anime is a JAPANESE cartoon. Not any cartoon that that uses art styles similar to it. Anime is not only an artsyle but a cartoon that comes from Japan.

Iii don't really care about what you say. You have your point of view and I have mine.
Nov 7, 2018 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
@UrbanSpaceman

So you'll generalize and call every anime that has a cartoon Style an "anime art style".

Why this 👇 cartoon is here? I haven't seen it yet, but to me looks like a cartoon honestly.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/8795/Panty___Stocking_with_Garterbelt
Nov 7, 2018 10:14 AM

Jan 2017
Why is there a thread about a cartoon in an anime discussion forum?

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Nov 7, 2018 10:17 AM

Apr 2016
swirlydragon said:

CaUse whEN IlLeGAL stREAMinG siTES HaS It iN iTs LiBraRY Its AnImE.
Nov 7, 2018 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
swirlydragon said:

Most of threads are Shit anyway...you should know it already. And i think that person has no other place to talk to that Show....also, also i'm suprised that this hasn't been deleted by Mods. Seems mods are dead
Nov 7, 2018 10:19 AM

Aug 2015
Huntik said:
@UrbanSpaceman

So you'll generalize and call every anime that has a cartoon Style an "anime art style".

Why this 👇 cartoon is here? I haven't seen it yet, but to me looks like a cartoon honestly.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/8795/Panty___Stocking_with_Garterbelt

Because anime is all animation from Japan and an art style.
And using MAL database to proof a point is a bad decision because MAL database has a lot of Korean and Chinese cartoons which is not anime according "It's not Japanese then it's not anime" doctrine.
Nov 7, 2018 12:15 PM

May 2009
alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Ehh, it's got more noticeably anime-style art than ATLA and HGS.

What?
Naaah.
To me it looks closer to those recent chinese 3D CGI shows.
CGI or no CGI, check the stills.

Look at ATLA's noses. Noticeably more detail than standard anime noses.

Look at HGS. Rounder, more "bulgy" faces.

Look at RWBY. Sharper faces, less detail in the noses.
Nov 7, 2018 12:57 PM
Mar 2018
UrbanSpaceman said:

Because anime is all animation from Japan and an art style.
And using MAL database to proof a point is a bad decision because MAL database has a lot of Korean and Chinese cartoons which is not anime according "It's not Japanese then it's not anime" doctrine.

Cut the requirement of anime being an art style, because they adapted many artstyles even from western animation and cartoons (just look up the documentary on Housei no Kuni, they adapted CGI methods from Hollywood) and your point will be more clearly. I for myself would say that at least it must be related to japan on a production level, so just having Ken Watanabe in it does not make it anime, but if you have a japanese company working on it, like it was the case with the To Be Hero(ine shows and Frankenstein Family, if I remember correctly.
Nov 7, 2018 2:05 PM

May 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Look at ATLA's noses. Noticeably more detail than standard anime noses.

Look at HGS. Rounder, more "bulgy" faces.

Look at RWBY. Sharper faces, less detail in the noses.

I have seen charter design in animes like all the 3 of them (HGS gives a bit of Andersen Monogatari vibes and the backgrounds are totally LWA) but for me RWBY's animation and art resemble more chinese and korean 3D pojects...and this means nothing because we know that this is an USA show and the writing is very typical despite taking elements from many places (animes, games, western live action movies ect).
Nov 7, 2018 9:21 PM

Mar 2013
you may correct me if i'm wrong but rwby has been consistently putting out new seasons every fall for years now.
it's that time of the year again so your'e likely going to see more buzz about the new season that just started.
Nov 8, 2018 4:30 AM

Jul 2017
I'm pretty sure RWBY is just fine since it's a Chinese cartoon after all.
Nov 8, 2018 4:35 AM

Oct 2014
It becomes bad after Monty Oum died. It story nose dived in an instant from action comedy into dark suspense show in an instant.

I really season 1 and 2 coz its so relax. Now, seriousness is too much the real charm of RWBY is gone.

I stopped watching it after season/volume 3.
Nov 8, 2018 4:47 AM

May 2018
-Daisetsu- said:
I'm pretty sure RWBY is just fine since it's a Chinese cartoon after all.

It's not "...for kids" but for teens thus not an anime.

Gazz said:
It becomes bad after Monty Oum died. It story nose dived in an instant from action comedy into dark suspense show in an instant.

I really season 1 and 2 coz its so relax. Now, seriousness is too much the real charm of RWBY is gone.

But volume 3 is the best season and actually has more action than 1 and 2.
Also this is how Oum planned the show to develop - getting darker and more complex.

If you enjoined it only for the comedy there is a little something called RWBY Chibi and even Pyrrha is alive on it.
alshuNov 8, 2018 5:14 AM
Nov 8, 2018 5:08 AM

Oct 2014
alshu said:

Gazz said:

But volume 3 is the best season and actually has more action than 1 and 2.
Also this is how Oum planned the show to develop - getting darker and more complex.

If you enjoined it only for the comedy there is a little something called RWBY Chibi and even Pyrrha is alive on it.

Volume 3 is great. The tournament arc action is awesome. But

I'm not saying it should focus on comedy. But I think RWBY is a lot better that way coz their characters are lovely. Combine it with excellent fighting choreography, its a unique experience. I really believe that they rush the story after Monty Oum died.
Nov 8, 2018 5:37 AM

May 2018
Gazz said:

Some spoilers then

And I will recommend you RWBY Chibi again. Penny is on it too.
Nov 8, 2018 12:00 PM
Mar 2018
So, this show has only 3 episodes per season, right? Else I would need to watch it on Venus to get all in one day. Plus that Chibi stuff... weren't those these awfully cheap made Teen Titans Go like knockoff series, which are the equivalent of those text-based rpg's? If so, then I'm gonna pass them, because I set them on the same level as audio books...
Nov 8, 2018 1:33 PM

May 2009
DonTrumpolino said:
So, this show has only 3 episodes per season, right? Else I would need to watch it on Venus to get all in one day. Plus that Chibi stuff... weren't those these awfully cheap made Teen Titans Go like knockoff series, which are the equivalent of those text-based rpg's? If so, then I'm gonna pass them, because I set them on the same level as audio books...
No, the different seasons (or "volumes") have different numbers of episodes, typically around 12.

season 1: 16 eps
season 2: 12 eps
season 3: 12 eps
season 4: 12 eps
season 5: 14 eps
GlennMagusHarveyNov 8, 2018 1:36 PM
Nov 8, 2018 7:50 PM

Dec 2008
I made the major mistake of buying seasons 1 & 2, watched 4 episodes of S1 and dropped it like hot potato.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Nov 8, 2018 8:00 PM

Jun 2015
DonTrumpolino said:

Honestly the chibi stuff is just for the fun stuff, its not canon at all and has nothing to do with the story. It's a heavy pass for a lot of people, and it isn't the best thing in the world.
Nov 8, 2018 8:35 PM

Aug 2012
Kyotosomo said:

I have not watched it past season 3, and still not too sure if I want to. I adore the characters, but it just felt off in season 4 to what I watched.
Nov 8, 2018 9:46 PM

Jun 2014
It just started its sixth season. As much as I love the show, I haven't gotten around to this season yet as I don't have a RoosterTeeth account, so I'm waiting for it to show up CR or their YouTube channel, if it ever does.
Nov 8, 2018 11:42 PM

May 2009
Yuno said:
Kyotosomo said:

I have not watched it past season 3, and still not too sure if I want to. I adore the characters, but it just felt off in season 4 to what I watched.
It's no longer the happy-go-lucky cool fighting magic school story it was. It becomes an action/drama adventure.
Nov 9, 2018 10:59 AM

Apr 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Yuno said:

It's no longer the happy-go-lucky cool fighting magic school story it was. It becomes an action/drama adventure.

Indeed, the show was thoroughly entertaining for the first three seasons when it was just about a bunch of teenagers ROFLstomping monster hordes and having silly food fights at school. From season 4 onward, the story has been trying to take itself seriously, and it has lost a lot of it's shine. The drama isn't properly set up, character motivations are all over the place, characters are jumping through or restarting their character arcs, and so on, but I digress: Youtube already has more than enough videos breaking down what went wrong after season 3.

That said, I'll still check out season 6, because I still like the aesthetic and I want to see Atlas.
Nov 9, 2018 11:57 AM
Mar 2018
How many posts can this thread hold? Wasn't there a limit per page?
Nov 9, 2018 5:00 PM

May 2009
Valyrian1124 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Indeed, the show was thoroughly entertaining for the first three seasons when it was just about a bunch of teenagers ROFLstomping monster hordes and having silly food fights at school. From season 4 onward, the story has been trying to take itself seriously, and it has lost a lot of it's shine. The drama isn't properly set up, character motivations are all over the place, characters are jumping through or restarting their character arcs, and so on, but I digress: Youtube already has more than enough videos breaking down what went wrong after season 3.

That said, I'll still check out season 6, because I still like the aesthetic and I want to see Atlas.
Ehh, YMMV I guess, but I liked how it suddenly "grew the beard". I'm not sure how long "teenagers ROFLstomping monster hordes" would have kept me entertained, but now that the story really has stakes, I'm getting much more engaging feels from it.
Dec 9, 2018 7:36 AM

Mar 2012
So, I’m a bit curious, but what do people think of Season 6 thus far?

I’m not sure what it is, but I’m loving it so far. I waited a while to watch it because I thought I was just gonna drop it altogether since Volume 5 was by far and away one of the biggest piles of dog shit that I’ve watched.

So far, it seems like the tone of Volume 6 is a lot heavier, the fight scene choreography is a lot smoother, and “finally”, it feels like we’re getting some progression, especially with Ruby’s character.

It’s still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I am really loving the tonal shift this season. It feels like Rooster Teeth actually listened to a lot of the criticism they got and made adjustments.
Dec 9, 2018 9:45 AM

Jun 2015
Toucanbird said:
So, I’m a bit curious, but what do people think of Season 6 thus far?

I’m not sure what it is, but I’m loving it so far. I waited a while to watch it because I thought I was just gonna drop it altogether since Volume 5 was by far and away one of the biggest piles of dog shit that I’ve watched.

So far, it seems like the tone of Volume 6 is a lot heavier, the fight scene choreography is a lot smoother, and “finally”, it feels like we’re getting some progression, especially with Ruby’s character.

It’s still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I am really loving the tonal shift this season. It feels like Rooster Teeth actually listened to a lot of the criticism they got and made adjustments.

i havent caught up to episode 7, but im really loving that they're listening to what the fanbase is saying. i think the kind of twists they were trying to take in order to change it from being a lighthearted teenage show, to being more mature was just a change that needed a little time and work.

i really wanted to see ruby finally mature a bit, i get she's the youngest and carefree but she just didnt fit that much with how serious blake and weiss was. now they might finally work on creating a badass mature ruby :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 22 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
8 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

37 by Shirayukin »»
14 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
21 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 26 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.