Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that would be more/less popular if it was released now?

New
Oct 23, 2018 6:30 PM

Oct 2018
I don't know what more to say than the title ngl, just answer the question.

I feel like something like Ookiku Furikabutte would be a lot more popular now since sports anime is a lot more popular now compared to 2007. Tsuritama also, especially since the cast is all male which is pretty much the best way to seal the deal on merchandise sales.

Love Live would be a lot less popular though, too much competition now.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Oct 23, 2018 6:35 PM

Sep 2018
I think if Dragon Half released now it would definitely get much more attention. The anime was super niche when it launched initially.
Oct 23, 2018 6:47 PM
Dec 2017
Perhaps anime popular in their day among U.S audiences because of a release on Toonami Jetstream like Zatch Bell or MAR wouldn't be very well known if released today on other platforms. As if I didn't see such things on Jetstream I may not have gotten into anime.
Oct 24, 2018 1:16 AM

Feb 2013
pretty much every anime that took more time than usual to be subbed would be more popular now, with simulcasts et all

as for less popular, i'd like to think most kind of colorful hair girl shows but it's likely not true
Oct 24, 2018 1:32 AM

Feb 2018
The big three would probably much less popular if they were to come out now. Because the comunity is way more focuses on the seasonal cycle and people don't forgive filler etc so easily anymore.
Also I think yu Yu hakusho would be way more popular if it were to come out now, because the dark tournament arc would be amazing with today's animation.
Ranma 1/2 would probably be more popular to cuz it's a genuinely funny harem anime.
Oct 24, 2018 1:34 AM

Nov 2011
I dunno, something that got rape in it I guess.

Oct 24, 2018 1:34 AM

Apr 2016
ONA's that aired back in the mid to late 2000's like Xam'd would be more popular. Especially with the rise of Netflix only anime.
Oct 24, 2018 1:40 AM
Jul 2018
death note would be less popular, i don't think people would like it's theme now
Oct 24, 2018 5:05 AM

Oct 2012
it's obvious but I'll say dbz. in these days of streaming people would not put up with sooo much filler
Oct 24, 2018 6:44 AM

Oct 2017
Chaet said:
death note would be less popular, i don't think people would like it's theme now

There might be more complaints about it being 'edgy' but I seriously doubt it would be less popular, especially considering how well known it still is.

If we're assuming the production quality is scaled to the modern equivalent then the content and genre of the show are the most important factors. Most older mecha anime just wouldn't have the same impact if they were made now, their themes and style are targeted at an audience with different views and memories of war than today (from what I've gathered anyway, I haven't actually watched any old mecha yet). They'd still be appreciated but probably wouldn't make such a big impact.
Oct 24, 2018 6:47 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty sure if Koe no Katachi came out now, it’d be a lot more popular! Earlier, it was released during the time when Your Name’s popularity was at the max level so this show was ‘unnoticed’ of sorts.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 24, 2018 8:18 AM

Jun 2013
There are more fans of anime now so a lot of the older shows like 'The Law of Ueki' would get more views if released in the current season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2018 9:00 AM

Aug 2017
I don't know.... Elfen Lied, maybe?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 24, 2018 9:10 AM

Aug 2018
I think most stuff would be more popular just considering how much the anime fan base has grown and how much more accesible content is these days
Most of the long running shonens wouldn't do as well as they did.

FireballKnuckleOct 24, 2018 9:15 AM
Oct 24, 2018 9:11 AM

Aug 2016
I'm gonna say Tsukihime. If that came out now, it'd likely be made by Ufotable, and also likely wouldn't suck.

I just want a good tsukihime anime dammit
Oct 24, 2018 5:10 PM

Jul 2015
Berserk. A lot of people don’t like to watch the older version, but the new version has bad CGI. They should release a properly animated version.
Lies. Lies. Lies.Lies. Lies. Lies.
Oct 24, 2018 5:11 PM

May 2012
Chuunibuyou. Summer/Fall 2012 was a really hot time for anime. You had Sword art Online finishing off and Naruto Shippuden's war at its peak. If it came out today it wouldn't be as big.
Oct 24, 2018 5:14 PM

Aug 2017
Slam Dunk would be a lot more popular than smtg like kuroko if it was released now, with way better animation quality.
Oct 24, 2018 6:13 PM
Sep 2018
Chaet said:

please, please, please watch code geass. I dislike mecha but code geass is just so good. It's ending is 3xs better than death note, has better character development and a sad but happy ending. Lelouch is a better character too, while him and light both have a god complex lelouch is not selfish. the first season of code geass is as good as death note but the second season is a lot better. While death note may have better art and a better soundtrack code geass has a great plot. WARNING, be ready for the hole it will leave when you finish. The truth is, i know i said i dislike mecha, but i actually hate it when robots fight.lol. While it might not be my favorite, it is definitly in the top 5 anime of all time. I got this passage from someone talking about it. it explains how good the show is. even if you don't like it better than death note, you will love it.
----------------------
SPOILER ALERT
---------------------
Having experienced a very treacherous and tragic past, a character in this anime has a vision. A vision to begin a great revolution, greater than any single person to fathom. Fortunately he gains the means to lay a strong foundation to his goal. With every passing moment he acquires trust and becomes powerful. He gains world recognition and equivalent criticism as well. He loses his loved ones one after the other. He accepts all the blame of their death onto himself although he wasn’t directly responsible for those.

In the end those who trusted him turn against him and the person whom he hated the most turns out to be his best ally. But this ally dies on his arms too. Feel tragic yet? Wait there is much more to come. The person he loves the most begins to resent him and stands against him.

Finally, he decides to pay a price for all his deeds. He sets off his own murder so that people blame him for all the catastrophe and cherish for the goal he envisioned. The anime ends with people hating him but loving what he did for them.

Oct 24, 2018 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
SinOfMorality said:
Chaet said:

please, please, please watch code geass. I dislike mecha but code geass is just so good. It's ending is 3xs better than death note, has better character development and a sad but happy ending. Lelouch is a better character too, while him and light both have a god complex lelouch is not selfish. the first season of code geass is as good as death note but the second season is a lot better. While death note may have better art and a better soundtrack code geass has a great plot. WARNING, be ready for the hole it will leave when you finish. The truth is, i know i said i dislike mecha, but i actually hate it when robots fight.lol. While it might not be my favorite, it is definitly in the top 5 anime of all time. I got this passage from someone talking about it. it explains how good the show is. even if you don't like it better than death note, you will love it.

I know a major spoiler of that series, so I avoided it but I am planning to complete it someday, thanks
Oct 24, 2018 11:14 PM

Sep 2018
Dunno why, but I feel like most well known magical girl shows (Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew) would be a somewhat less popular if they came out now. I mean think about it, there isn’t not a whole lot of magical girl anime that’s getting popular coming out now that’s not shit like madoka. I think why the other ones were and still are a success because a good portion of people who still like them now watched them back when they were in it’s target audience.
But I could be wrong.
Oct 25, 2018 4:45 PM
Sep 2018
Chaet said:
SinOfMorality said:

I know a major spoiler of that series, so I avoided it but I am planning to complete it someday, thanks

I didn't mean to rant though. lol. sorry
Oct 25, 2018 4:46 PM
Sep 2018
Chaet said:
SinOfMorality said:

Oh wait nevermind, I just realized most of it got cut off for some reason

More topics from this board

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 4

83 by tectacles »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » suspension of disbelief and difference between reality and fiction, or too much fiction can make you delusional

deg - 5 hours ago

19 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
25 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Today

34 by RobertBobert »»
34 minutes ago

» What are your thought on Ecchi anime?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

35 by MadanielFL »»
48 minutes ago

» What is the biggest problem in the world of anime in your opinion?

castle2001 - Yesterday

49 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.