Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Goblin Slayer (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 22, 2018 6:50 PM

Mar 2018
I have been watching goblin slayer. It is pretty good so far except the jarring 3d models and its poor low framerate animation. I am pretty pleased to see that this anime might have a character on the autism spectrum. Characters that may have autism or do are pretty rare and hard to come by. He says inappropriate things for the situation, shows a lack of empathy, focused on something that others find frivolous and knows everything about it, and he is awkward in social situations.

Just so you guys know, I am not trying to be a troll or offensive, as I am also on the autism spectrum!
Oct 22, 2018 7:15 PM

Sep 2016
Its on the edgy and shock factor spectrum
Oct 22, 2018 7:22 PM

Feb 2016
that means azula is autistic too then since she brings up death when flirting, doesn't care about other people's feelings, doesn't know how to act in social situations and is a mastermind.

okay that sounds more like a sociopath.
Oct 22, 2018 7:24 PM

Mar 2018
loolz said:

I'm talking about the character, and edgy is also a pretty dismissive buzzword. I'm sure a big boy like you could come up with some other words to describe why you don't like it.
Oct 22, 2018 7:24 PM

Mar 2018
azula-is-gay said:
that means azula is autistic too then since she brings up death when flirting, doesn't care about other people's feelings, doesn't know how to act in social situations and is a mastermind.

The difference is that she's more of a malicious person, while goblinslayer is more of an indifferent or aloof person.
Oct 22, 2018 7:26 PM

May 2017
subalpha said:
I have been watching goblin slayer. It is pretty good so far except the jarring 3d models and its poor low framerate animation. I am pretty pleased to see that this anime might have a character on the autism spectrum. Characters that may have autism or do are pretty rare and hard to come by. He says inappropriate things for the situation, shows a lack of empathy, focused on something that others find frivolous and knows everything about it, and he is awkward in social situations.

Just so you guys know, I am not trying to be a troll or offensive, as I am also on the autism spectrum!

Well, today I just found out I'm autistic. I'm joking of course but if those are the criteria you need to meet to be labeled autistic a shit ton of people just found out the same thing. I'm pretty sure that's not how you diagnose autism.

Kuroshiro Ahegao #3542

Oct 22, 2018 7:28 PM

Aug 2014
azula-is-gay said:

That sounds like Antisocial personality disorder (or she's just evil (?))
Oct 22, 2018 7:37 PM

Mar 2018
Y-White said:
subalpha said:

Well, today I just found out I'm autistic. I'm joking of course but if those are the criteria you need to meet to be labeled autistic a shit ton of people just found out the same thing. I'm pretty sure that's not how you diagnose autism.

They're legitimate traits of those with autism, and I'm sure you don't act like goblin slayer or have those traits as much as you think you do. Everyone can find some traits they have psychologically and self diagnose themselves with various disorders. You see it all the time actually, the whole self diagnosis crap. These are things that are persistent and could be considered impairing. Like in goblin slayer, his obsession with goblins and his obsessive daily routines get him labeled crazy even by his close friends who know him and have lived with him for a long time. Don't forget, I'm just saying he MIGHT. Don't forget that fictional characters are in fact fictional and they need to be more up front with their character traits and flaws. They can't be expressed over years of living and walking the earth like us human beings do, they have to be portrayed over the course of 25 minutes to an hour and expanded upon across the series. Even shows that go on for well over 100 episodes have their characters explained and stereotyped within the first 1 or 2, atleast the leads do. Not to mention this is apparently common discussion as I've made a few google searches, I'm not the only one who has questioned this.
Oct 22, 2018 7:37 PM

May 2015
kofmaster said:

Sociopathy is a form of antisocial personality disorder.

OP, it's a character trope/stereotype of the awkward MC. There are other characters like this, like Shu Ouma from Guilty Crown, who one could say is autistic but the creators probably didn't intend for that. Plus a big part of autism is sensory issues and I don't think this MC has any of those

Oct 22, 2018 9:06 PM
Jul 2018
People are born with autism, but he became so obsessed, because he had a trauma, and that's a big difference.
Oct 22, 2018 9:28 PM

Mar 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
People are born with autism, but he became so obsessed, because he had a trauma, and that's a big difference.

He seemed pretty upset and awkward during the childhood scene too. Autism is something that can be missed as a child and diagnosed as an adult, and when you have autism your fixations and interest can change. We don't know much about his childhood other than the fact that his parents and sister and entire village was killed by goblins and he was the only survivor.
Oct 22, 2018 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
subalpha said:
Maneki-Mew said:

He seemed pretty upset and awkward during the childhood scene too. Autism is something that can be missed as a child and diagnosed as an adult, and when you have autism your fixations and interest can change. We don't know much about his childhood other than the fact that his parents and sister and entire village was killed by goblins and he was the only survivor.

Yeah, but I don't know. People have just different personalities too. It's weird that everything is more or less "pathologicized" today - more or less. Maybe you are right or not, one short scene is just one short scene.
Oct 22, 2018 10:02 PM
Jul 2018
Being determined toward achieving a goal and not giving a shit about vapid social interactions does not equal autism.
Oct 23, 2018 4:53 AM
Jul 2016
Yes he is. In the source material they even explain how he was always a little different from the other kids, and in Goblin Slayer Year One he mentions his mom and his sister used to say he had a slow brain. That combined with PTSD.
Oct 23, 2018 5:03 AM
Oct 2018
Please don't tell me you think that GS is the one with autism?

He experienced severe trauma as a child, he isn't autistic, he is dissasociative and because of his time spent training and alone he is socially awkward, he is not autistic. If he is anythinbg it is dissasociative and suffers from PTSD.

None of the characters show signs of autism be it low or high functioning, I just think you being autistic want the main character to "be autistic" so you can justify your stupidity.
DepletedOct 23, 2018 5:07 AM
Oct 23, 2018 5:05 AM

Feb 2015
I don't see how that's special. There are very many anime characters with autistic traits.
Oct 23, 2018 5:10 AM

Jul 2015
Contaminated said:
kofmaster said:

Sociopathy is a form of antisocial personality disorder.

OP, it's a character trope/stereotype of the awkward MC. There are other characters like this, like Shu Ouma from Guilty Crown, who one could say is autistic but the creators probably didn't intend for that. Plus a big part of autism is sensory issues and I don't think this MC has any of those

Yep I seemed to understand autists often have handicaping sensory issues to various degrees, going as far as synesthesia/seeing things in a completely different way.
Oct 23, 2018 7:48 AM

Mar 2018
Goburin_Sureiya said:
Yes he is. In the source material they even explain how he was always a little different from the other kids, and in Goblin Slayer Year One he mentions his mom and his sister used to say he had a slow brain. That combined with PTSD.

I haven't read the manga, thanks for letting me know this. This contributes.
Oct 23, 2018 8:09 AM
Aug 2016
loolz said:

You forgot the "big ass fucking anime titties spectrum".
Oct 23, 2018 3:37 PM

Oct 2017
Well, that be hard to do since autism was made up to define forms of mental retardation that does not fall into an other category. IE: cause unknown, but we know they're not right.

So, is he mentally retarded from a cause unknown? No. He has PTSD from goblins killing and raping his family. Sure, it's not on the same level as a SJW getting PTSD from a microaggression, but it's PTSD none the less.
Oct 23, 2018 3:58 PM

Apr 2012
subalpha said:

That is, if a person has bad social skills and has dedicated his life to one cause, then he is autistic? Well, I suspected that Ash from Pokémon or Subaru from ReZero are not quite ordinary boys.

With the same logic, we can assume that he is asexual, because he ignores the sexy girls's flirt.
Oct 23, 2018 4:14 PM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:
subalpha said:

That is, if a person has bad social skills and has dedicated his life to one cause, then he is autistic? Well, I suspected that Ash from Pokémon or Subaru from ReZero are not quite ordinary boys.

With the same logic, we can assume that he is asexual, because he ignores the sexy girls's flirt.

That's not the same logic at all. I assume with 1323 post you'd have taken the time to actually read the thread and posts in them before making one of your own. Ash doesn't have poor social skills, he is able to maintain strong relationships with his friends and entertain them on his journey. His dedication is also something he's not very articulate about. He wants to catch them all, he doesn't know everything about pokemon or even have very expansive knowledge on his own homeland and relies on things like the pokedex. Catching pokemon is also something that is completely normal for people to do and make a career out of. Goblin slaying is something looked down upon. Common typical interest of people on the autism spectrum are also things that are looked down upon (stereotypical,\ things like trains, which funnily enough I did enjoy as a young child). Goblin slayer knows everything about killing goblins, is incredibly articulate about it, and shows many many many more and specifically exaggerated traits of someone on the autism spectrum. Also, ignoring sexual advances has nothing to do with if you're asexual, if you can't even pick up on them, and people on the autism spectrum have trouble recognizing social ques. Thanks for making your post though, even if it was rather low quality :V!!!
Oct 23, 2018 4:45 PM

Apr 2012
@subalpha Calmer, calmer, there is no need to respond so sharply to my sarcasm. This is the first. Secondly, do not you think that “strong interest in one topic + too low social skills” is too broad a definition to draw any conclusions? It reminds me of yaoi fangirl who read any respect or ideological rivalry between guys like crush.

Oct 23, 2018 6:02 PM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:
@subalpha Calmer, calmer, there is no need to respond so sharply to my sarcasm. This is the first. Secondly, do not you think that “strong interest in one topic + too low social skills” is too broad a definition to draw any conclusions? It reminds me of yaoi fangirl who read any respect or ideological rivalry between guys like crush.

"Calmer, calmer, there is no need to respond so sharply to my sarcasm."
My thread was serious and isn't the place for non-descript sarcasm, so can you take your 'jokes' and 'memes' somewhere else?
"his is the first. Secondly, do not you think that “strong interest in one topic + too low social skills” is too broad a definition to draw any conclusions?"
It would be too broad if it wasn't such a sharp part of his character that also comes hand in hand with ALL THE OTHER symptoms I listed. (Not to mention his strong interest in one topic/low social skills are INCREDIBLY prevelant to the point of crippling all of his relationships, which is something that even us(people with autism) tend to not have to deal with). Maybe you should read my thread, or stop posting in it, because you're just being a troll and ignorant to the subject. Your english and reading comprehension and understanding of the subject is definitely poor because you don't even want to read!
Oct 23, 2018 6:11 PM

Apr 2012
@subalpha Oh, so this is personal. Well, excuse me for not agreeing with you. But, no matter how aggressive you are and trying to “expel” me, it will not change anything.

Oct 23, 2018 6:13 PM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:
@subalpha Oh, so this is personal. Well, excuse me for not agreeing with you. But, no matter how aggressive you are and trying to “expel” me, it will not change anything.

Once again you don't actually read my post, and you are derailing it.
Oct 23, 2018 6:18 PM

Apr 2012
subalpha said:
RobertBobert said:

Once again you don't actually read my post, and you are derailing it.

I like the way you are trying to convince me that I didn't read your post, just because I don't agree with you. I can only repeat that I understand that you, as a person with autism, want to see a proper representation in MC, but this is wishful thinking.
Oct 24, 2018 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
That would be an easy assumption to make and I don't think people are necessarily wrong for thinking so.

But that's implying the author thought that far ahead with GS' character. Which I don't think he really has. I think the intention was just to make him so obsessed with goblin slaying that all other facets of his personality and social skills kind of deteriorated over time.
Oct 24, 2018 5:45 PM

Mar 2018
GemTastical said:
That would be an easy assumption to make and I don't think people are necessarily wrong for thinking so.

But that's implying the author thought that far ahead with GS' character. Which I don't think he really has. I think the intention was just to make him so obsessed with goblin slaying that all other facets of his personality and social skills kind of deteriorated over time.

A writer doesn't do things for nothing, there are other attributes of his character that could point to being on the autism spectrum besides the deteriorated social skills and personality.
Oct 24, 2018 7:56 PM

Apr 2016
Goblin slayer is actually a comedy and the punchline is that hes severely autistic. Can you imagine though caring about representation in a foreign medium? Dont you have enough of that in pedowood pumping out garbage for the sake of meeting "diversity quotas." Don't ruin anime just because you dont get it, go ahead and watch terrible garbage on TV but its not coming to japan, and no amount of liberal tears will ever change that, if you dont like it dont watch.
Jan 16, 2022 10:56 AM

Jul 2015
subalpha said:

He's pretty obviously written that way, yes. Everything about his character screams ASD. From the way he's so particular about his gear, the preparations and how he runs his exterminations, the way they say he's always been different, his single-minded focus, his difficulties with understanding social interactions...

Seems to me that he was written as a character with High Functioning Autism. And I think the show does a decent job at portraying that.
Railey2Jan 16, 2022 11:00 AM
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Feb 25, 2022 6:27 PM

Oct 2017
Goblin slayer is not autistic, he has become stoic, look up the term. He's stoic because he doesn't want emotions to intervene with his path of taking revanche.

POWER IS IMMORTAL
Mar 17, 2022 12:05 AM
Feb 2021
This isnt really about the topic but the 3D animations of goblin slayer are so much more bearable than alot of other animes, even 2022 models look worse than goblin slayer's. The first time i watched this anime i didnt really notice the 3D shit. even after rewatching clips multiple times, i still didn't realize that it had 3D animations, i only noticed it after i read the forums
Oct 21, 2023 6:47 PM

Nov 2013
Either that or he's really good at playing dumb.

Though if the novel narration is to be trusted, he isn't pretending.
You all need to watch Nami.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

288 by Ronin_Alx »»
Yesterday, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

195 by Miki42 »»
Apr 1, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2018

372 by Tartyus »»
Mar 1, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

382 by azzther »»
Feb 26, 8:15 AM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2018

992 by Devonnius »»
Feb 22, 8:54 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.