Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I don't understand the appeal of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. What am I missing? 2018

Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 15, 2018 2:13 AM
Oct 2018
I don't understand the appeal of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. What am I missing?

I didn’t feel connected with the character. Story was very flat. I tricked through. Few moments made me go wow. But I found it boring. I watched two versions of this series fma then fma brotherhood. Very repetitive.

I want to like it. I really do. But I rated it like a 5. Falls into the same category of naratu. Both of these I don’t enjoy. I loved dbz and fairy tail. Watching seven deadly sins right now. Can’t remember if I liked it. Loved soa season one.

But it’s the highest rated anime of all time. And it’s boring as fuck. I get not everyone can like it. I’m 32 or whatever. But I didn’t really laugh. It was slow paced. There was nothing I would want to picture myself power wise having. I mean legit would you rather fairy tail powers or draw circles bend metal. So on that side it’s not immersive. Why did you guys like it? I really found it forgettable. Help me like it.
Oct 16, 2018 1:16 AM

Sep 2016
For me, I really liked the story line/plot. You brought up the point of "powers" but that's not what it is about. It's not about who becomes to stronger hero or protagonist or whatever. It's not like your typical Naruto, Nanatsu no Taizai, etc as it doesn't focus on defeating others to gain more power(???) I guess. The slight power/alchemy in the show just adds some flavor to the story line. It seems to me that you are leaning more towards wanting to watch an action-packed series.

I don't think it progressed slow at all tbh. I think it has pretty decent pacing as everything is in someway important and connected for the plot to conclude the way it did. I think Fairy Tale is paced very slow if you ask me, especially with it's 150+ episodes, same for Naruto. I kept up with it all to the end but I wouldn't consider it rating it high since there were tons of fillers and was too long.

However, it's not a perfect anime, there are plot holes, but I do think it's a really great anime and deserves the score it got.

Oct 16, 2018 1:25 AM
Feb 2012
Ravenbhk said:
Falls into the same category of naratu.

Ravenbhk said:
Loved soa season one.

okay you have got to be trolling
Oct 16, 2018 1:31 AM

May 2013
Ravenbhk said:
I don't understand the appeal of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. What am I missing?

But it’s the highest rated anime of all time. And it’s boring as fuck. I get not everyone can like it. I’m 32 or whatever. But I didn’t really laugh. It was slow paced. There was nothing I would want to picture myself power wise having. I mean legit would you rather fairy tail powers or draw circles bend metal. So on that side it’s not immersive. Why did you guys like it? I really found it forgettable. Help me like it.

FMA is a show that is aimed at the shounen crowd (or teenage boy crowd). You would have probably enjoyed it a lot more when you were a teenager, just like I did. If I were to watch it now, I doubt I would like it as much as I did back then.

Do keep in the mind that the ratings are not reflective of the inherent qualities of a show (which is a major misconception that still persists on this website). It is only a measure of how well received the series was in the public's eyes. Furthermore, the age group that watches anime is predominantly teenage and young adults. A vast majority of people like us who rated the show highly, did it back when it was airing and haven't bothered to update it.
KreatorXOct 16, 2018 1:35 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 16, 2018 1:36 AM

Jun 2017
I still can't understand why people making alt accounts to make these threads...
I liked the whole show but more liked villains and the ending (episode 63)
Oct 16, 2018 1:59 AM

Jun 2011
I didn't get it either, it's not revolutionary good like some of these folks are claiming it to be imo. I like the series quite a bit but not really obsessed over it. A few things that I really like about it

- decent main characters, the Elric brothers and Mustang have fun personalities, yet not dumbed down to having a flat, one-note personality, they're pretty down to earth for the most part, and that leads to my next point

- realism, not as in realistic realistic, but there's no Natsu screaming on top of his lungs about wanting to hit his enemies (nothing against this, I love One Piece after all) so it's a breath of fresh air for a battle shounen, it generally takes a more grounded approach and doesn't go overboard just for reactions.

- adventure. I love adventure in my shounen, that's why I love Naruto, DBZ, HxH, OP, MAR, 7 Deadly Sins, Avatar: the Last Airbender, Fairy Tail (though it has a lot of problems) etc. They are always traveling around, it's nice to learn more about the world they live in, especially if it's interesting. It's a huge shame that they never got to travel to the chinese guy's city though, it really bummed me out when I realize that they never got the chance to go there and the series has ended. It's also a huge reason why I am not so invested in BnHA, their world is dull as a blank paper.

And I wouldn't call Brotherhood slow paced, not at all.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 19, 2018 7:29 AM

Sep 2013
2.6% of people on this site think FMA:Brotherhood is less than "good"

So you are one of those 2.6%

That's all there is to it.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Nothing is universally loved by everyone. Some people will always feel different
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2018 7:41 AM

Nov 2016
> can't see the appeal
> likes Fairy Tail
> first post with a new acc

Hmmm, seems legit.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 19, 2018 9:15 AM

Sep 2014
Mickdrew said:

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Nothing is universally loved by everyone. Some people will always feel different

Do you read all expression as intended to be interpreted literally or what?
KryzakamiHrybamiOct 19, 2018 9:18 AM
Oct 19, 2018 9:18 AM

Sep 2015
FMmatron said:
> can't see the appeal
> likes Fairy Tail

Hmmm, seems legit.

...hmmm

but if for real, then:

Mickdrew said:

that ^ is the best answer there is

as for me, I watched fma (and the movie) and then brotherhood and it did not feel slow at all, heck the first few eps were rather fast but that's cuz it didn't want to repeat the first half of fma since it kept to the manga till then, but even after that, brotherhood kept a nice pace and the plot & characters we rather excellently done, to my taste

and really, while age does influence ones likes/dislikes, when I watched it I was 25, not that far off from 32 and still loved it, soooo, not everyone has to like smt that majority likes, there are plenty of stuff that most people love yet I can not stand, it's just the way it is
~Nothing is Eternal but Eternity ~
Oct 19, 2018 9:27 AM

Nov 2016
Rouzmary said:
FMmatron said:
> can't see the appeal
> likes Fairy Tail

Hmmm, seems legit.

...hmmm

but if for real, then:

Mickdrew said:

that ^ is the best answer there is

as for me, I watched fma (and the movie) and then brotherhood and it did not feel slow at all, heck the first few eps were rather fast but that's cuz it didn't want to repeat the first half of fma since it kept to the manga till then, but even after that, brotherhood kept a nice pace and the plot & characters we rather excellently done, to my taste

and really, while age does influence ones likes/dislikes, when I watched it I was 25, not that far off from 32 and still loved it, soooo, not everyone has to like smt that majority likes, there are plenty of stuff that most people love yet I can not stand, it's just the way it is

It's just weird, he doesn't have to like it, but not seeing what others liked about it is hard to believe, especially for a show like Fullmetal.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 19, 2018 9:36 AM

Sep 2015
FMmatron said:

It's just weird, he doesn't have to like it, but not seeing what others liked about it is hard to believe, especially for a show like Fullmetal.

...a close minded person who has difficulty comprehending different opinions? or smt like that?

I just want to see if that person really is a true member of MAL and will come back to reply or just trolled
~Nothing is Eternal but Eternity ~
Oct 19, 2018 9:42 AM

Nov 2016
Rouzmary said:
FMmatron said:

...a close minded person who has difficulty comprehending different opinions? or smt like that?

I just want to see if that person really is a true member of MAL and will come back to reply or just trolled

Like I said it's hard to believe that someone can be this close minded. The thing is some people with such a mind actually know the truth, but still refuse to accept it, that's what irks me and that's why I put it in the same category as trolling, it's basically the same..

Oct 19, 2018 9:46 AM

Sep 2013
Rouzmary said:
FMmatron said:

If this person is a troll, then they are really bad at it.
"I'll make a thread on the #1 anime saying I don't like it and prefer Fairy Tail".
Seriously, how unimaginative. Sounds like baby's first trolling
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2018 1:18 PM
Oct 2018
Jeez some over reactive haters haha. The whole post was about getting your opinion about what you loved about it. There have beense
Good detailed comments. But I’m general, So far the comments are:
- it’s just good
- it’s very bland environment
- not screamo like fairy tail. Fair enough btw.
- decent main characters (hmm okay)
- adventure (eh all anime has that. This didn’t stand out to be exceptional)
- realism (well yes I can see where your coming from. But it’s still complete fantasy imo)

Still appreciate your replies though thank you.

The following comments which has been 60% of replies. Just so you know what it looks like my point of view.
- your part of the 2.6% ( again doesn’t state what’s good about it)
- first account!!!
- fake account!
- Pffft close minded much( are you that dull you can’t give an opinion about the series? I laughed when I read that.)

Which shows you cannot understand the op’s request about wanting your opinion. Don’t be dull give me your opinion about the show.

Thanks to those who did reply though. Still sorta see your opinion now. Also I do believe that it’s not a misconception about ratings. Ratings include everything. And it’s number one of all time. I just don’t see it in such a bland universe. Maybe the RP of imagination of casting alchemy and drawing circulars is fun for someone. I just can’t related to the main characters. I still don’t think it’s bad. I’d give it 7.5/10. But 9.6/10. Is almost perfect score. For a story that is not perfect or didn’t really feel finish. And an atmosphere that has is so grey scale. Character development was rough and incoherent at times. Fair enough 9.6 it is.

Thanks.
RavenbhkOct 24, 2018 1:25 PM
Nov 11, 2018 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
Close your account tc
Nov 19, 2018 6:31 AM
Nov 2018
Can i still post in this dead thread? Guess I'll find out. Firstly, what the heck is with all the hate! You who like FMA Brotherhood quite literally sound like bandwagoners as your reasoning for why it's a good show are paper thin and completely inadequate. At least try to back up your argument instead of saying "well... People really like it so it's just THAT good!".

I've stopped and started this show many times because it simply can't hold my interest. It's repetitive (how many times must they state that what they're trying to do is get their bodies back?), it jumps around too much to characters that play no real significant role (i don't give a shit about what's going on in central when the badass character Pride has surfaced etc.). The fact that they jumped around so much, especially in part 4, felt so extremely monotonous that I stopped watching it yet again despite the fact that my interest re-peaked with the surfacing of Hohenheim. How could they make the rise to a climax so incredibly boring and disjointed? That in my opinion is the main issue with this show. It knows where it's going, it constantly tells you where it's going (from five different angles), but it never works to progress plot development with the same vigor that they put into hammering the plot into your brain (yes, yes... They're trying to get their bodies back; or yeah, yeah philosophers stones take souls to make). This show is an incongruent mess and I believe the high ratings can be attributed to A. What someone previously said about people rating this high when they were teens and it was being broadcasted (maybe also nostalgia reviewers) or B. Simply a result of bandwagon mixed with those who were somehow able to look past the MAJOR flaws to something congruent. Because there is some merit to the show... It's just watered down by the various issues I've explained.. The execution is rather poor. I would rate this Anime a 6.5/10 if I'm being nice. I've seen some bad anime and I'd rate most of that higher.
Nov 20, 2018 11:42 AM

May 2017
Im a little late to this forum, but hopefully my answer is still relevant.

Obviously, no one can force you to like fma. It's aimed for teens and young adults. Even if it does talk about heavy themes such as war, genocide, and military corruption, it makes it lighthearted enough so younger audiences such like teens can still enjoy it. Now it also makes those themes relevant enough so that it is still prominent, and it can appeal to those who are interested by themes such as those. Its really good at showing the aspects of those themes without driving people away.

Its one of the few shonen that actually deals with heavy themes like this. I really like how it gets into the problems of being too reliant on science, how it deals with god (truth), the theme of morality, and how if you look deep down into the show, it has a lot of hidden philosophy.

Yet even if it has things such as that, it still is fun and action packed! Its a simple story of two brothers trying to fix their bodies, but with suttle dark themes that make all the more interesting. It appeals to the shonen junkies who want great characters, story/plot, and action (and fma has all of that) while mixing in some heavier themes.

I also really love the characters. Although brotherhood could have given more time for development, i still connected to them. And I love how even the supporting cast are extremely important and this show really lets you connect with them. The soundtack is great as well!

This show may just not be for you. You said you liked fairy tail, which is a much more slow and lighthearted show. You would want something more happy and the main focus being action and friendship maybe? Fullmetal is fun, but can get sad at times, and can get quite dark.

I dont agree with you when you say fullmetal is boring, but thats just you, and thats okay. I feel like you would enjoy my hero academia, so if you arent watching that already, give it a try. You don't have to like fma just because it got good ratings and many people like it.

Fun fact about fma: hoenheim was named after a real alchemist from the 1500's whose name was Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim.
Nov 29, 2018 6:26 AM

Jun 2017
Anyone else for whom the 'comedy' bits make this show borderline unwatchable? Other than that it's a 9-10 material for sure with great premise, soundtrack, nice enough animation, the part of the character design is a tad lackluster but overall still good. Jokes sound like they are cut out for different type of show and it's not even the difference between Japanese and Western humour. I'm not even that demanding when it comes to humour in anime but this ruins the thing for me, every time they crack a joke you get a feeling that the author first about when the punchline should happen and then what should it be. That'll sound sexist but I think I subconsciously hate it because I hate female sense of humour.
Dec 13, 2018 8:10 AM

Nov 2013
Help you like it? -_-
If you didn't like it, don't like it.
Sorry bro, but if you found it boring, you must be one boring person yourself.
Aug 10, 2019 6:42 AM
Sep 2016
AzorAhai said:
Help you like it? -_-
If you didn't like it, don't like it.
Sorry bro, but if you found it boring, you must be one boring person yourself.

I know this is an old thread, but I just have to answer your childish answer. Everyone has different taste. I for one, does not like FMA in the slightest. I prefer animes like Attack on Titan, Code Geass, Death Note, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, School Rumble, GTO, Strawberry Eggs, Elfen Lied, Full Moon wo sagashite and many more that is much more amazing than FMA. And yes, even Fairy Tail is better than FMA imho.
Aug 10, 2019 7:50 AM
Feb 2018
It's a fairly good anime. It's #1 flaws is definitely it's ending imo. Just like HxH(2011) it felt unsatisfied at the end. In both the series MCs start of journey, In FMA;B to get a their bodies back & in Case of HxH to search for his runaway father. After all that fighting and drama their sole purpose of journey is fulfilled in the worst possible way. I will not explain how it happen (For spoilers). I would have giv HxH 9/10 but because of bad ending i have given it 7. Same with the case of FMA;B 6/10 instead of 8/10. I really felt dissapointed with their ending. Those few bad moments were enough to stop me from saying "Its a good anime you should check it out".
0seveNAug 10, 2019 7:58 AM
Aug 10, 2019 9:37 AM
Apr 2019
Well...
I had different moments with FMAB
from episode 1-12 I had given it 9/10
13-23 I had given it 10/10
then for 24-50 it was 9/10 for me....
at last from 51-64 my final score is 8/10

so for me the ending was not good.(not talking about Ed x Winry) Though it has the dark fantasy theme, except for Hughes no one died...that's something unexpected for me.
Like the famous line "If something to be achieved something equal should be given" it wasn’t that... the MC's endured pain but,,, I think they should have endured more.(pats)

My favourite character from FMAB is Riza Hawkeye,also Roy Mustang and his entire team mates. They made me to see the deep into the story.Another thing that I loved is the adventure, or the travelling accross the country.

Overall I don't know why people should rate it below 7,,, it's an incredible anime, rare to find in today's all isekai-affacted anime world.
Aug 10, 2019 10:02 AM

May 2019
Ravenbhk said:

I didn’t feel connected with the character. Story was very flat. I tricked through. Few moments made me go wow. But I found it boring. I watched two versions of this series fma then fma brotherhood. Very repetitive.

I want to like it. I really do. But I rated it like a 5. Falls into the same category of naratu. Both of these I don’t enjoy. I loved dbz and fairy tail. Watching seven deadly sins right now. Can’t remember if I liked it. Loved soa season one.

You sir just surpassed me. Have my crown.
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Aug 10, 2019 11:01 AM

Nov 2015
ahneeme said:
Ravenbhk said:
Falls into the same category of naratu.

Ravenbhk said:
Loved soa season one.

okay you have got to be trolling
LMFAO AHAHAHAHAHA
Aug 10, 2019 1:19 PM
Jan 2017
Lel0uchZer0 said:
Careful. you just started a war against the fmab fanboys
of course he started 1 year ago lol
Jun 18, 2022 6:54 PM
Jul 2020
if you dont like it dont watch it no need to post this here
Jun 22, 2022 6:20 PM

Aug 2020
Completely late here, but if you don't like it there is nothing wrong. Is just not your cup of tea.

People need to stop trying to find deep messages, and give multiple rewatches in a story that just didn't deliver what was needed to the one who watched it.

Same thing with any other anime in top 100. That's why this ranking is not reliable, and completely depends on bot and scoring spam.

Jun 26, 2022 6:07 AM
Dec 2019
Man, this is not your mainstream clisee anime such fairy tail or soa where you win by power of friendship and flashy powers, in fairy tail you try to find a dragon, don't tell me fmab story is bad. The concept of alchemy in the anime is inspired by real life alchemy and is very well written and very well studied, you can call alchemy even a religion, it has some living concepts very well sustained and the anime does a great job in showing it.The pace of the story is very good, characters development is good, they don't remain stubborn and childish and they progrese mentally towards achiving their goals, and you can see the difficulty's they encounter are never solved by some misterious power or the friendship one, they have to evolve in every aspect to maintain the road conducting to their dream.I'd rather have the power to use elchemy that is more realistically made (the equivalent exchange) then some random ass abilities that grows up when you fight and scream louder.Fmab is more realistic and well written with very infine clisee then other eyes pleasing childish anime
Jun 26, 2022 10:54 PM
Apr 2022
lenetra said:
if you dont like it dont watch it no need to post this here

Fullmetal Alchemist is really not good. I would give it max 7
Jun 27, 2022 2:28 AM
Nov 2020
there’s not that much to love about, maybe for some the nostalgia but from a technical standpoint is pretty mid
Jun 27, 2022 7:00 AM
Apr 2021
could be missing some brain cells
Jun 27, 2022 9:07 AM

Jul 2012
daaazex said:

Lmao did you really make an account to rate kaguya s3 1 and fmab 10? Imagine caring about a score on some weeb site
Jun 27, 2022 11:35 AM
Jun 2020
i dont understand either i just gave it a 1 star and not gonna watch it 😅
Jun 27, 2022 11:30 PM
Jan 2021
Broter said:
i dont understand either i just gave it a 1 star and not gonna watch it 😅
Oh no, please don't make me hate kaguya...
Jun 28, 2022 12:21 AM
Feb 2020
For me the anime is good nothing else but it is overrated. I try to like it but the things i like is the power system and the character designs.
If you like it that is fine, everyone have different tastes in things and no one should bully you into liking this anime.
Jun 28, 2022 12:37 AM
Jul 2020
Shadzzo said:
daaazex said:

Lmao did you really make an account to rate kaguya s3 1 and fmab 10? Imagine caring about a score on some weeb site

Yeah people love doing that for anything that dares to have a higher average rating than FMA:B. It's pretty stupid, but it's what happens on MAL when it isn't hard to bomb things. Plenty of accounts that have rated just one or two anime total whether it's Fruits Basket and FMA:B and now the new bombers will be Kaguya and FMA:B I guess.
Jun 28, 2022 8:50 AM
Feb 2022
Why people like this anime?
Jun 28, 2022 8:54 AM
Feb 2022
I think this anime is mediocre, nothing special
Jun 28, 2022 9:07 AM
Jan 2021
Febrisyah said:
I think this anime is mediocre, nothing special
Bias comment, without even watch it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.