Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What do you think of the character, Subaru from Re:Zero?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 11, 2018 2:46 PM

Mar 2017
Honestly I dislike Subaru more for how he's written than his actual character. You can tell that the author was trying to write a deeply flawed character that would be forced to improve, but his breakdown just feels so jarring because throughout the first parts of the series he's just a pretty decent yet awkward guy. I mean, the dude spends the first few episodes trying to save the life of some people he barely knows. He could have just gotten out of town if he just wanted to look after number one. I was just so confused when those scenes happened because the show gave little to no clues in the previous arcs that he was capable of this kind of behavior. Like it felt like making a fool of himself in public and getting yelled at by Emilia caused a much harder reaction all the times he had gotten brutally murdered so far. I've heard that he had some creepy/skeevy lines early in the LN that were not put in the anime and I feel that if they were included it would have done a much better job of cluing the viewer in to Subaru's potential instability.
Oct 11, 2018 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
I quite like him. Hoping for a sequel soon as possible!!
Oct 11, 2018 2:54 PM
Jul 2018
(why do people take a shit on me when I make 8 threads about girls, but nobody shits on anyone for making another fucking Re: Zero thread? Hypocrites)

Firstly, Subaru's personality is obnoxious: he's a smug douche-bag who thinks he's hot shit.
Secondly, he is written to be so irrational, that the writer mistook writing a character irrational with writing a character that doesn't make any damn sense.

For example, instead of gathering information on the Witch possessing him to break the curse...he goes on a f*cking date with a girl he barely knew.

DuskParadox said:
Honestly I dislike Subaru more for how he's written than his actual character. You can tell that the author was trying to write a deeply flawed character that would be forced to improve, but his breakdown just feels so jarring because throughout the first parts of the series he's just a pretty decent yet awkward guy. I mean, the dude spends the first few episodes trying to save the life of some people he barely knows. He could have just gotten out of town if he just wanted to look after number one. I was just so confused when those scenes happened because the show gave little to no clues in the previous arcs that he was capable of this kind of behavior. Like it felt like making a fool of himself in public and getting yelled at by Emilia caused a much harder reaction all the times he had gotten brutally murdered so far. I've heard that he had some creepy/skeevy lines early in the LN that were not put in the anime and I feel that if they were included it would have done a much better job of cluing the viewer in to Subaru's potential instability.

He has a breakdown in like...2 episodes? But that's about the extent of his "trauma". After arc 2, almost nothing of Subaru's personality, mentality, implies he's still "traumatized".
Oct 11, 2018 2:54 PM

Oct 2018
I find Subaru to be quite a charming girl

may she find happiness with Tsukasa.
{~๐•ธ๐–Š๐–“ ๐–”๐–‹ ๐•ฎ๐–š๐–‘๐–™๐–š๐–—๐–Š ๐–‰๐–” ๐–“๐–”๐–™ ๐–๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–”๐–—๐–š๐–’ ๐•พ๐–Ž๐–Œ๐–“๐–†๐–™๐–š๐–—๐–Š๐–˜~}
Oct 11, 2018 3:07 PM

Aug 2016
I used to hate him because his personality shift after Rem's arc felt abrupt and forced, and the fact that he kept obsessing over Elf Asuna there while Rem's relationship with him was much better constructed left me salty. Nowadays, I don't think I would still hate him if I rewatched Re:Zero.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 11, 2018 3:20 PM

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:

Firstly, Subaru's personality is obnoxious: he's a smug douche-bag who thinks he's hot shit.
Secondly, he is written to be so irrational, that the writer mistook writing a character irrational with writing a character that doesn't make any damn sense.

For example, instead of gathering information on the Witch possessing him to break the curse...he goes on a f*cking date with a girl he barely knew.

That's explainable as in this adaptation (or whatever from the source that has been covered), nobody knows about the witch and he hits a brick wall each time he tried to question about the witch's whereabouts. Call it a plot device if you may.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
KreatorX said:
HopefulNihilist said:
(why do people take a shit on me when I make 8 threads about girls, but nobody shits on anyone for making another fucking Re: Zero thread? Hypocrites)

That's explainable as in this adaptation (or whatever from the source that has been covered), nobody knows about the witch and he hits a brick wall each time he tried to question about the witch's whereabouts. Call it a plot device if you may.

He asked like, what, 2, 3, people about the magical evil witch. What brick wall?
Oct 11, 2018 3:23 PM

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
KreatorX said:

He asked like, what, 2, 3, people about the magical evil witch. What brick wall?

Well, nobody bothered giving a straight answer, mentioning the witch anywhere gave him stares. Taboo topic in that fictional universe. The only ones who probably know are the Witch Cult and I don't think he is too keen on getting a straight answer out of them. There you have it, brick wall.
KreatorXOct 11, 2018 3:27 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
KreatorX said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Well, nobody bothered giving a straight answer, mentioning the witch anywhere gave him stares. Taboo topic in that fictional universe. There you have it, brick wall.

So what if it's taboo and uncomfortable? An actual person would STILL investigate.
Oct 11, 2018 3:31 PM

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
KreatorX said:

Well, nobody bothered giving a straight answer, mentioning the witch anywhere gave him stares. Taboo topic in that fictional universe. There you have it, brick wall.

So what if it's taboo and uncomfortable? An actual person would STILL investigate.
An actual person in his position with his flawed personality needs to get a reality check first, before committing to searching for the witch. Dude literally goes batshit ballistic when the Witch cult gets busy ruining his life. The witch would be the last thing on his mind when nobody would associate themselves with him if he mentioned the word 'witch' to anyone. Furthermore, all he could think of was Betelguese.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
KreatorX said:
HopefulNihilist said:

An actual person in his position with his flawed personality needs to get a reality check first, before committing to searching for the witch. Dude literally goes batshit ballistic when the Witch cult gets busy ruining his life. The witch would be the last thing on his mind when nobody would associate themselves with him if he mentioned the word 'witch' to anyone. Furthermore, all he could think of was Betelguese.

1) When does Subaru ever go, "insane"?
2) It doesn't make sense why there would not be SOME characters okay with talking about the Witch. Not everyone in an entire world will avoid a topic at all costs.
3) Before Betelgeuse even appeared, Subaru wasn't doing anything to actually learn about the magical witch.

I've played this game over a million times before. I think when Re: Zero fans defend the protagonist's decision making, they're grasping at straws by coming up with, what I believe, are really really ridiculous arguments.
Oct 11, 2018 4:15 PM

Jul 2009
I'm neutral on him, mostly. If it was a gun to the head and pick one, I'd lean towards like.

At the middle part he was a bit cringey/annoying. But I like how he developed and changed as a person late in the series. And I give the writer props for intentionally making a character like that, instead of your typical "I have hidden potential and no moral faults" characters. Subaru is a weak lame dude and by the end of the show he's a weak cool dude. It's nice.
BStrifeSword114Oct 11, 2018 4:24 PM
Oct 11, 2018 4:21 PM

Feb 2016
the fuck i thought this anime was completely dead at this point
Oct 11, 2018 4:30 PM

Apr 2017
Just let Subaru rock.

Don't understand why people care so much about his rejection, just let the man do make his own decisions.

Oct 11, 2018 4:35 PM

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
KreatorX said:

1) When does Subaru ever go, "insane"?
2) It doesn't make sense why there would not be SOME characters okay with talking about the Witch. Not everyone in an entire world will avoid a topic at all costs.
3) Before Betelgeuse even appeared, Subaru wasn't doing anything to actually learn about the magical witch.

1). His deaths were already taking their toll on him (wherein he slips into a catatonic state), and it hits the fan when Betelguese kills Rem infront of him.
2). It's the author's choice how he fleshes out the story. It was his decision to push the lore and backstories into later volumes of the LN, which aren't adapted in the anime. Call this a legit flaw if you may.
3). What could he possibly do when he was busy trying to stay alive in the Roswaald mansion? Betty flat-out tells him she doesn't know any more than what she told. Him getting his sorry ass dumped by Emilia removes all question of the witch when he is busy trying to prove a point that 'he-had-been-right' all along.

I think perhaps you should blame it on an incomplete adaptation instead of treating the entirety of the first season as the entire story before trying to make sense of just about everything.

I've played this game over a million times before. I think when Re: Zero fans defend the protagonist's decision making, they're grasping at straws by coming up with, what I believe, are really really ridiculous arguments.

Oh wow a seasoned player, I see. Congrats for being a 'veteran' . Grasping at straws , k lol. It's pretty obvious you have a bias against the character but I am not even concerned with talking about that.
KreatorXOct 11, 2018 4:41 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 4:36 PM

Nov 2008
I has no opinion on him actually because it was hard for me to finish the first episode; I was just really bored. xD Didn't continue.

*dodges the flying rocks* :'D

Oct 11, 2018 4:39 PM

May 2017
He hates himself, so i hate him even more for that lol

Rem is the real reason, he doesn't deserve his love, i do.
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Oct 11, 2018 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
KreatorX said:

1). His deaths were already taking their toll on him (wherein he slips into a catatonic state), and it hits the fan when Betelguese kills Rem infront of him.

He wasn't in a, "catatonic" state; he was clearly just faking it to gain pity. Betelgeuse calls him out on it. If he was in an actual catatonic state, then he wouldn't have gained his senses when Betelgeuse tortured Rem.

KreatorX said:
2). It's the author's choice how he fleshes out the story. It was his decision to push the lore and backstories into later volumes of the LN, which aren't adapted in the anime. Call this a legit flaw if you may.

The author should've pushed the lore and backstories in later volumes in a way that makes sense. A well-written active protagonist whose actions make sense within the context of THIS story would bee asking countless people about the one who cursed him. They would ask questions like:

-"Can the witch curse somebody so that they come back to life if they die?"
-"How do you get rid of a curse from the witch?"

Subaru never ONCE asks any of these questions.

KreatorX said:
3). What could he possibly do when he was busy trying to stay alive in the Roswaald mansion? Betty flat-out tells him she doesn't know any more than what she told.

Ask the maids about the Witch. If that doesn't work, go ask people outside. There are literally 100s of people in the world of Re: Zero.

KreatorX said:
Him getting his sorry ass dumped by Emilia removes all question of the witch when he is busy trying to prove a point that 'he-had-been-right' all along.

Which is so stupid it doesn't make any sense. Nobody would be more concerned over a stupid crush's opinion of them, more than being concerned over their life.

KreatorX said:
I think perhaps you should blame it on an incomplete adaptation instead of treating the entirety of the first season as the entire story before trying to make sense of just about everything.

I am merely pointing out massive flaws of a 1st season.

KreatorX said:
It's pretty obvious you have a bias against the character but I am not even concerned with talking about that.

Why do MAL users constantly make assumptions of other peoples' biases, and even their lives?

What happens in the beginning of Re: Zero:

Subaru literally blinks into a fantasy world. Any other human being would be so shocked of something impossible happening, that they would constantly be questioning their circumstances. In other Isekai, this precisely happens:

In No Game No Life, Shirou and Sora learn from Ted the rules of the world. They go around talking to residents to get a "feel" for the new world they're in. In short, Shirou and Sora take action.

What does Subaru do? Wonder when he becomes the hero, by dicking around, and getting killed.

Subaru doesn't suffer from any trauma: he doesn't suffer from nightmares throughout Re: Zero, he doesn't develop any trust issues, any irrational fear towards objects related to his traumatic deaths (like knives), his personality doesn't change.

In Higurashi's 1st arc, the protagonist, Keiichi, is very similar to Subaru in that he becomes terrified of his circumstances. Except Keiichi develops actual trauma: he becomes distrustful of his friends (to a point where he even yells at them), believes somebody is trying to kill him, starts carrying a bat around everywhere he goes, like he's prepared for anyone who might try to kill him. His fear of his friends grows so strong that at the end of the 1st arc, he:
Oct 11, 2018 5:11 PM

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
KreatorX said:

He wasn't in a, "catatonic" state; he was clearly just faking it to gain pity. Betelgeuse calls him out on it. If he was in an actual catatonic state, then he wouldn't have gained his senses when Betelgeuse tortured Rem.
I saw it otherwise. Betelguese told him to get on his level.

KreatorX said:
Him getting his sorry ass dumped by Emilia removes all question of the witch when he is busy trying to prove a point that 'he-had-been-right' all along.

Which is so stupid it doesn't make any sense. Nobody would be more concerned over a stupid crush's opinion of them, more than being concerned over their life.

It is stupid. Where did I say otherwise? He is a stupid hikkikomori/NEET who are known low self-esteem issues. They get quickly attached to people they take a liking to. Couple that with his 'white-knighting' behaviour which made him put Emilia on a pedestal. Her lap scene just boosted his ego to unhealthy levels, to which he thinks she is the only person capable of understanding him.

KreatorX said:
It's pretty obvious you have a bias against the character but I am not even concerned with talking about that.

Why do MAL users constantly make assumptions of other peoples' biases, and even their lives?

What? Where the fuck am I even doing that? It's clear you don't like the character and I have no intention of correcting that. Why are YOU making assumptions on me in return? The fuck..

Ease down on that tone bro.

Subaru literally blinks into a fantasy world. Any other human being would be so shocked of something impossible happening, that they would constantly be questioning their circumstances. In other Isekai, this precisely happens:

In No Game No Life, Shirou and Sora learn from Ted the rules of the world. They go around talking to residents to get a "feel" for the new world they're in. In short, Shirou and Sora take action.

KreatorX said:

The author should've pushed the lore and backstories in later volumes in a way that makes sense. A well-written active protagonist whose actions make sense within the context of THIS story would bee asking countless people about the one who cursed him. They would ask questions like:

KreatorX said:
3). What could he possibly do when he was busy trying to stay alive in the Roswaald mansion? Betty flat-out tells him she doesn't know any more than what she told.

Ask the maids about the Witch. If that doesn't work, go ask people outside. There are literally 100s of people in the world of Re: Zero.

Who are these 100s in the world of Re:zero? Rem/Ram don't even want anything to do with the witch. The nearest place is a damn village where nobody likes anything remotely 'witch' like, except for the children who seem clueless. The capital is no different. And as much as I would have liked answers, that is how the world-building has been presented. Take it or leave it. Call it a flaw if you may, I sure do.

What does Subaru do? Wonder when he becomes the hero, by dicking around, and getting killed.
That is precisely the point. The author wrote a protagonist that won't do as and when the audience pleases. He is his own person. He is written to be intentionally unlikeable. If you don't like this, then it is that's your preference. Fair game. I am not even concerned in letting out a loose fart to change your opinion on that.

The author wrote a character that desperately longs for escape and is someone who is tired of his old life to the point that he doesn't want to even think about it. It's a dangerous line of thinking. I am not even denying that. It's his character flaw.

Subaru doesn't suffer from any trauma: he doesn't suffer from nightmares throughout Re: Zero, he doesn't develop any trust issues, any irrational fear towards objects related to his traumatic deaths (like knives), his personality doesn't change.

You say he doesn't suffer from any trauma but then call out his traumatic deaths. He hates himself first and foremost. He is told of his flaws by others but is too stubborn to admit it in the mid-season.

Personality doesn't change at all? His whole 'nice-guy' complex was broken down by the narrative sequence. He doesn't have the same 'if i have done so much for you, i deserve your pussy' mentality. Sure, he is in love with a chick. However he just confessed to her and didn't force her to love him back. He is giving her space.

I also don't expect a complete 180 character development over an event. His personality has only begun to change. That is where the prologue of the story's adaptation ends.
KreatorXOct 11, 2018 5:23 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 5:15 PM
Apr 2017
All this talk about Re zero better warrant a second season lul
Oct 11, 2018 5:25 PM
Jul 2018
KreatorX said:
I saw it otherwise. Betelguese told him to get on his level.

Then why did he regain his senses so fast? Why did he conveniently start to act normal the MOMENT Rem got tortured?
Besides. Even if I agreed with you, Subaru's "catatonic" state was completely irrelevant to the story, as it lasted for literally only one episode.

KreatorX said:

It is stupid. Where did I say otherwise? He is a stupid hikkikomori/NEET who are known low self-esteem issues. They get quickly attached to people they take a liking to. Couple that with his 'white-knighting' behaviour which made him put Emilia on a pedestal. Her lap scene just boosted his ego to unhealthy levels, to which he thinks she is the only person capable of understanding him.

You're confusing stupidity with literally not making any sense within context.

KreatorX said:

What? Where the fuck am I even doing that? It's clear you don't like the character and I have no intention of correcting that. Why are YOU making assumptions on me in return? The fuck..

You literally just said that I have a bias towards the character. From YOUR perspective, where is the PROOF that I have a bias?

KreatorX said:

Who are these 100s in the world of Re:zero. The nearest place is a damn village where nobody likes anything remotely 'witch' like, except for the children who seem clueless. The capital is no different. And as much as I would have liked answers, that is how the world-building has been presented. Take it or leave it.

Again, there's no way every single person wouldn't even talk about the Witch. It doesn't make sense within context. If not a village, then the town.

KreatorX said:
That is precisely the point. The author wrote a protagonist that won't do as and when the audience pleases. He is his own person. He is written to be intentionally unlikeable. If you don't like this, then it is that's your preference. Fair game. I am not even concerned in letting out a loose fart to change your opinion on that.

You're not understanding my perspective here. I'm saying that within the context of the story, Subaru's actions make 0 sense.

KreatorX said:
The author wrote a character that desperately longs for escape and is someone who is tired of his old life to the point that he doesn't want to even think about it. It's a dangerous line of thinking. I am not even denying that. It's his character flaw.

What kind of character flaw is so severe that the protagonist is literally too stupid to try to figure out what is causing him to rewind his life?

KreatorX said:

Personality doesn't change at all? His whole 'nice-guy' complex was broken down by the narrative sequence.

Subaru changed because he realized he had to get his shit together. NOT because of a trauma.

KreatorX said:
That is where the prologue of the story's adaptation ends.

What proof do you actually have that Re: Zero was a prologue?
Oct 11, 2018 5:27 PM

May 2013
Skeptic said:
All this talk about Re zero better warrant a second season lul

High chances it's going to get one. 2 OVA's announced, one of them has been released, while the other OVA is a prequel which foreshadows a events after the anime's ending.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 5:53 PM

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:

You literally just said that I have a bias towards the character. From YOUR perspective, where is the PROOF that I have a bias?

"(why do people take a shit on me when I make 8 threads about girls, but nobody shits on anyone for making another fucking Re: Zero thread? Hypocrites)

Firstly, Subaru's personality is obnoxious: he's a smug douche-bag who thinks he's hot shit."

I see this as bias. If this is not, then I retract my statement regarding your bias.

KreatorX said:

You're confusing stupidity with literally not making any sense within context.
KreatorX said:

Who are these 100s in the world of Re:zero. The nearest place is a damn village where nobody likes anything remotely 'witch' like, except for the children who seem clueless. The capital is no different. And as much as I would have liked answers, that is how the world-building has been presented. Take it or leave it.

Again, there's no way every single person wouldn't even talk about the Witch. It doesn't make sense within context. If not a village, then the town.

Define the context. You clearly seem to know what the author is about to write better than me or even him for that matter. From my side, I have already mentioned it to be a plot device (which I too consider to be hamfisted ).

That said, to know more, dive into the novels if you wish.

KreatorX said:

You're not understanding my perspective here. I'm saying that within the context of the story, Subaru's actions make 0 sense.
They made sense to me if he couldn't express his situation about the witch to anyone. He has his terrible personality to fix first. If there are others who can aid him on that witch matter, he hasn't met them yet.

KreatorX said:

What kind of character flaw is so severe that the protagonist is literally too stupid to try to figure out what is causing him to rewind his life?
'I-am-the-hero-of-this-isekai-videogame/fantasy' attitude. That is how he has been seeing the new world as. He keeps making the mistake of treating the characters as if they behave in a pre-defined NPC subroutines. The irony being that this fantastical world is no different than real world when it comes to people interactions. Stupidly butts into places he shouldn't stick his nose into.

Furthermore, the witch seemingly appears out of nowhere the moment she notices he has an intent to let other in on his secret. Like it or hate it.

KreatorX said:

Personality doesn't change at all? His whole 'nice-guy' complex was broken down by the narrative sequence.

Subaru changed because he realized he had to get his shit together. NOT because of a trauma.

And where did I say otherwise? Why are you equating a character complex being broken down by just the deaths alone? I am pretty sure you are not dumb enough to state that his personality change doesn't matter because he had a moment of self-reflection instead trauma. Do you want me to drop the bias bomb here?

KreatorX said:
That is where the prologue of the story's adaptation ends.

What proof do you actually have that Re: Zero was a prologue?

Episode 18's title 'From Zero' is a dead give away. Every damn Web novel and Light Novel reader I've come across, who is deep into the story states the same. The narrative of the anime suggests the same as well : The story starts from zero once he had self-reflected upon his character.

Now I could even go on and say, why even bother playing around with us for 18 episodes when you could have started the story directly from here? Answer : Present a flawed character and depict character development, lay down a cast of characters on the table first before diving into the story. You don't like the style of approach or writing? That's your opinion man, once again which I am not even bothered about changing. I just gave my initial reasons within whatever was available to us in the anime.
KreatorXOct 11, 2018 6:13 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 6:21 PM
Jul 2018
KreatorX said:
Define the context. You clearly seem to know what the author is about to write better than me or even him for that matter.

By context, I'm talking about the story.

KreatorX said:
From my side, I have already mentioned it to be a plot device (which I too consider to be hamfisted ).

It's a plot device that the protagonist literally refuses to ask more than 3 people about a witch that's cursed him?

KreatorX said:

A good adaptation stands on its own.

KreatorX said:
They made sense to me if he couldn't express his situation about the witch to anyone.

Write on a piece of paper, "The Witch has cursed me".

KreatorX said:
He has his terrible personality to fix first. If there are others who can aid him on that witch matter, he hasn't met them yet.

Subaru is written so that he doesn't even try to meet people who can help him; he simply lets the plot carry him wherever it wants.

KreatorX said:
'I-am-the-hero-of-this-isekai-videogame/fantasy' attitude. That is how he has been seeing the new world as. He keeps making the mistake of treating the characters as if they behave in a pre-defined NPC subroutines. The irony being that this fantastical world is no different than real world when it comes to people interactions. Stupidly butts into places he shouldn't stick his nose into.

Why does this prevent Subaru from asking more than a few people about the Witch? Why does this prevent him from asking, "is there anywhere I can get more info on the Witch?"

KreatorX said:
Furthermore, the witch seemingly appears out of nowhere the moment she notices he has an intent to let other in on his secret. Like it or hate it.

ONLY when he intends to tell people that he's cursed. Otherwise, within the context of the story, nothing is preventing Subaru from at the START, investigating the Witch. Even with his flaws, a person would do at least that. Even the shittiest people on the planet get their shit together when their life's on the line.

KreatorX said:

And where did I say otherwise?

I thought that that's what you were implying: that Subaru changed from trauma, rather than self-reflection.

KreatorX said:
Do you want me to drop the bias bomb here?

Go ahead. I've been constantly insulted, labeled, shitted on MAL for so long, that I'm practically numb to it. If anything, dropping the bias bomb will amuse me. Hell, if you feel like it, go ahead and call me a honky or a cracker.

KreatorX said:
Episode 18's title 'From Zero' is a dead give away.

I hate to admit it, but you have a fair point. I will say that Re: Zero has the shittiest "prologue" I've seen, but that's a topic for another time.
Oct 11, 2018 6:36 PM

May 2013

By context, I'm talking about the story.
We don't even know the whole story....

KreatorX said:
From my side, I have already mentioned it to be a plot device (which I too consider to be hamfisted ).

It's a plot device that the protagonist literally refuses to ask more than 3 people about a witch that's cursed him?

That's how it was presented. He hasn't met anyone along the way willing to talk about it. Like it or hate it.

KreatorX said:

A good adaptation stands on its own.
That's just your opinion man.

KreatorX said:
They made sense to me if he couldn't express his situation about the witch to anyone.

Write on a piece of paper, "The Witch has cursed me".
Which was the first thing I had thought as well. The witch however doesn't ONLY kill or put the fear of death in Subaru. It can also kill anyone around him with whom he wants bitch about his secret. Hate the plot device? Can't blame you for that.

KreatorX said:
He has his terrible personality to fix first. If there are others who can aid him on that witch matter, he hasn't met them yet.

Subaru is written so that he doesn't even try to meet people who can help him; he simply lets the plot carry him wherever it wants.
Read above.

KreatorX said:

Why does this prevent Subaru from asking more than a few people about the Witch? Why does this prevent him from asking, "is there anywhere I can get more info on the Witch?"
It doesn't prevent him from asking. Going off-topic, this is like One Piece where the One Piece treasure forms the outline of the story. Yet nobody constantly drones on the fact as to where this legendary one-piece treasure is located.

KreatorX said:

ONLY when he intends to tell people that he's cursed. Otherwise, within the context of the story, nothing is preventing Subaru from at the START, investigating the Witch. Even with his flaws, a person would do at least that. Even the shittiest people on the planet get their shit together when their life's on the line.

You are asking for stuff that lies beyond the adaptation. The witch's motives are unknown as to why she brought him into the world. Subaru doesn't even know it;s the witch who brought him.

KreatorX said:

And where did I say otherwise?

I thought that that's what you were implying: that Subaru changed from trauma, rather than self-reflection.
I did not.

KreatorX said:
Do you want me to drop the bias bomb here?

Go ahead. I've been constantly insulted, labeled, shitted on MAL for so long, that I'm practically numb to it. If anything, dropping the bias bomb will amuse me. Hell, if you feel like it, go ahead and call me a honky or a cracker.
Wow, a survivor. Well, you want amusement and neither am I interested in pissing your day off, so I give you that. You are clearly biased against the show.

KreatorX said:
Episode 18's title 'From Zero' is a dead give away.

I hate to admit it, but you have a fair point. I will say that Re: Zero has the shittiest "prologue" I've seen, but that's a topic for another time.

claps.
KreatorXOct 11, 2018 6:44 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 6:37 PM

Dec 2015
I am not hate Subaru. I think his power is unique. Hmm..I also love he always trying to help others as much as he can...

I only dislike his annoying crying...
Oct 11, 2018 6:46 PM

Jun 2015
KreatorX said:
I love that character. He is well written when compared to many fantasy anime protagonists. We are expected to dislike him and the author pretty much makes it a point that Subaru is his own person and especially not someone who can easily self-insert in him. He will take actions that will not always go with the audience's wishes.

Subaru has a huge set of insecurities and emotional baggage with him, primarily due to him being a NEET/hikkikomori. His erratic behaviour is further bolstered by the fact that he simply doesn't know how to behave around people. He went on treating this new world as if it was a game-world where NPCs have predefined personalities and he is the hero of the game where everyone just listens to him. It's not very often we see characters where the author systematically breaks him down (although the author did this by a roundabout way of torturing the guy to mental breakdown, like it or hate it). Personally, I thought it was a great way of shattering that 'nice-guy' complex Subaru suffers from.

Underlying message behind his character growth, 'if you were shit in the previous life, you are going to remain like shit in your new life. To break out of the mold, grow up and change'. The infamous episode 18 is just about that. It's a psychological anime for a reason, so it's kind of expected to try to understand the characters and their behaviours to make sense of things.

It's a damn shame that the characters in the anime are unfortunately, or rather the entire anime, was seen through the spotlight of waifu-tards when it wasn't even about that.

It's pretty obvious that plenty of people misunderstood the point of episode 18 but hey, whatever floats their boat. Waifu-goggles are the new fad. The anime does more of show instead of tell, which is what likely caused misunderstandings.

Darn, I can't find any words how true this is.
Oct 11, 2018 9:05 PM

Oct 2013
AnimePixelz said:
-Riptide- said:
So are we talking about Subaru or Emilia?

Subaru, mostly. Though Emilia does take into account too. But it's Subaru, we're talking about.

Your OP statement says otherwise..
Oct 11, 2018 9:06 PM

Jun 2015
POOR LITTLE NATSUKI SUBARU IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST FUCKIN MC'S EVER!

what that guy said, he not your average run of the will god tier op Onii-Sama. [who actually is quite likeable unlike most others]

he's basically that lil bitch from koe no katachi [not just cuz he looks the same] ending up in a world thats pretty fuckep up and he fuckin dies, you know why he's sooooo stupid? cuz everytime he dies, he loses a fraction, so by the end hes pretty stupid.

a immature socially inept what 15 yr old? who probably gets his 1st crush [love at 1st sight] and obesses over her, too blind to get laid with rem. now it really isnt his fault he fell in love with a bunch of garbage, he's practically a child. and as an neet otaku, lets face it, he has shit taste,

if subaru was real, he'd probably be a aot/opm/snk/sao fan.
Oct 11, 2018 9:46 PM

Oct 2013
AnimePixelz said:
-Riptide- said:

Your OP statement says otherwise..

Oh? Can you explain? and yes I know, it's probably confusing to read lol. I'll guess I'll sum it up briefly. (I'll try to...) I'm pretty sure majority of the Re:Zero fanbase disliked Subaru since of Rem's love confession rejection and to that extent, yes. I found it outrage lol, I baffled as why he chose Emilia. Til I saw TheAnimeMan's perspective and WHY he chose Emilia instead of Rem, which I now understand Subaru's point of view.
There are other reasons why Subaru was disliked, the majority of the fanbase says so. Including other small reasons, e.g stupid reasons.

I get what you mean. It's just that confession scene gets talked a lot and somewhere in there Rem fans would bash Emilia for no reason.

Either way, I like Subrau's character. He's obnoxious and has a Messiah complex. But he was written for us to hate him. It's his development from that that makes him interesting. Also, I probably would also reject someone who tried to kill me multiple times and would prefer someone who helped me when I was a total stranger.
Oct 11, 2018 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
I find it irritating the way he behaved sometimes but most of the things he did were understandable considering he had low self-esteem and other mental issues.
Oct 11, 2018 11:51 PM

Oct 2015
uninstallthegame said:
damn, so many people expected something brilliant from subaru. didn't they show him as a usual fucking neet going to a convenience store and reading manga? he's like the most basic guy. i would really love to see you being put through the same shit and seeing your actions

apparently, most of the people would know what to do right away and wouldn't be confused of what the fuck is going on at all, right?

i sympathize with subaru. he was written pretty well, just an average neet going through death every time and loosing his mind in the process. what did people expect from his character? something like tom cruise from edge of tomorrow? smh

You said it bro.

(obligatory 30 characters)
Oct 12, 2018 12:46 AM
Sep 2018
It's because of him that i hate Emilia.

Oct 12, 2018 4:53 AM

Jul 2017
Haven't watched Re:Zero yet so I'm neutral on this one.
Oct 12, 2018 7:15 PM

Oct 2018
through all the shit hes been through, I cant believe he hasnt lost his sanity
โ‚๐ก๐จ๐ฅ๐ฒโ‚ญ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฎ โ‚โฃแƒ“

"๐˜๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ฏ๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ง๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ต ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ, ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜บ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ"
Oct 13, 2018 4:49 AM

Jul 2013
I haven't watch the anime but he has an ugly design and looks like a boring and stupid mc and those things kinda push me away from the show, kinda superficial I know but that's how it is for me, I want to watch one day but this day is not today
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Oct 13, 2018 12:48 PM

Apr 2017
This is an unpopular opinion, I guess, but I love Subaru. I was always on his side, always. Never was able to hate him, even when he lost his way and made many mistakes. Might sound stupid, but I always really felt that he's just genuinely a good person, almost to an abnormal level, considering everything he's willing to go through over and over and the people he's willing to forgive and go out of his way to save just to secure the maximum happy end. His gravest mistake was breaking his promise, but if we really think about it, it was a promise made very reluctantly. The way I see it, the main reason Emilia didn't want Subaru at the castle was because she didn't want him to find out how hated she really is. And the thing that really made him snap was Emilia being called disgusting and filthy. I concede that things went spectacularly downhill, but the more I thought about it, Subaru was actually the most polite person there. The council members were rude and inappropriate, so were most of the elders, and Emilia was in fact the only candidate not significantly and very rudely interrupting the official proceedings. As for Subaru yelling "You should have a greater debt to me than you could ever repay!" - I feel like we've all had at least one fight like this, where we want to be appreciated, acknowledged, accepted, understood, loved...but we feel we are not, and it feels like a monumental injustice. The thing is, Subaru has a significant hero complex, but that in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Just that when combined with the severe PTSD the man has gotten from various events across lifetimes, there are bound to be some complex and negative developments happening. Him saying "Emilia is hopeless without me..." as he was about to fall asleep was a desperate attempt to talk himself up while in his subconscious he was already feeling like he's worth nothing and that no one needs or even likes him. This was confirmed to me later in episodes 17 and 18. Subaru has a deep, deep self-hatred from way before he even was transported, and the events in Lugunica exacerbated it a lot. But in truth he's a very good person. He's personable, he's funny, he's kind and helpful, he spends excessive amounts of mental, physical and emotional resources for the sake of the greater good, he's sincere and honest, he's brave, doesn't take advantage of others, acts like a gentleman, he's energetic, he's self-aware, selfless, caring, protective, reassuring, and capable of apologizing when he's made a mistake.
Oct 13, 2018 3:42 PM

Jan 2014
Cause he's a complete fucking retard?
Yeah, this pretty much explains him.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Oct 13, 2018 6:44 PM

Apr 2018
HopefulNihilist said:

To be fair, no one is particularly excited about this thread...

And 8 threads? Who hurt you?
Oct 13, 2018 6:53 PM

Apr 2018
No. I don't dislike or hate Subaru.
Stop accusing ME please :(
Oct 13, 2018 9:33 PM

Oct 2013
AnimePixelz said:
-Riptide- said:

I get what you mean. It's just that confession scene gets talked a lot and somewhere in there Rem fans would bash Emilia for no reason.

Either way, I like Subrau's character. He's obnoxious and has a Messiah complex. But he was written for us to hate him. It's his development from that that makes him interesting. Also, I probably would also reject someone who tried to kill me multiple times and would prefer someone who helped me when I was a total stranger.

Great. Ah yeah yeah, I agree/ Episode 18 was the breaking point of the entire Re:Zero fanbase... and I hate to admit but I was one of those people, aha.

I see. Mhmm, and I guess so, I wonder what went through the writers heads when they planned on Subaru LOL. Yes, his development is quite interesting I must say. Agreeable.

He's written as a normal otaku. Not God's gift on Earth. He's selfish and makes a lot of fuck ups. When he first got transported he thought it was just gonna be all fun and games. That's pretty much what a normal otaku would think after watching countless isekai shows.
Oct 13, 2018 9:48 PM
Aug 2018
AnimePixelz said:
This is probably a controversial topic in the Re:Zero anime, since majority love Rem since she gave Subaru advice, comfort, had a shoulder for him to cry and sacrificed everything for Subaru. I too, also love Rem and think Rem is best girl, however I was on Youtube and I saw an TheAnimeMan video, I've seen his videos before and I'm a fan of his videos. Anywho I saw his recent video which I'll link, but it mentioned about Subaru's confession rejection towards Rem, instead, he chose Emilia. Obviously, I and a fuck ton of the Re:Zero fanbase got triggered and anger by this. Though after I watched his video, it changed my perspective. I don't fully hatred Subaru, slightly dislike but after that, it made me understand why he said "Rem, I love Emilia." I feel a lot of the Re:Zero fanbase despise Subaru, as TheAnimeMan mentioned he did stupid things, arrogant and of course rejected Rem's love confession.

What do you guys think? Do you dislike/hate Subaru also and agree with the Re:Zero fanbase?

Subaru's stupidity can't be avoided because it's part of the plot it's similar to you playing a VN game where you try to find the true end and in some case you will get the bad end where you as a player will reset and do it again and again until you reach you're true ending. So Subaru's stupidity is itself part of the story and what makes re:zero unique to most isekai.
Oct 13, 2018 9:53 PM

Apr 2016
I actually don't agree with the hate on subaru AT ALL. I think he's a very real character, people often make the argument that he's weak and a bitch. Like sure, he just got dumped into this world that he doesn't know shit about. Not everyone can be like kirito and get countless amounts of girls and be a pimp. He's a very real character with normal emotions and I appreciate that part of the show. I don't think it would be as enjoyable to watch if he was an OP ass character slaying shit. Also, subaru made a dumb decision not picking rem so if that's your basis of your hate then I agree with you.
Oct 13, 2018 9:55 PM

Dec 2012
Neutral. His heart is in the right place in that he's generally a good person who wants to help people, but he can be a real tactless dumbass sometimes. This only makes his character feel more real given his background and the shitty situation he was dumped into though.

#TeamEmelia
KruszerOct 13, 2018 10:17 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 7, 2019 2:52 AM
May 2019
He is so pathetic, no character growth and plain stupid... If I was on the same world, I could NTR his girls in a flash... That is how stupid he is
May 7, 2019 3:02 AM

May 2013
Howling13 said:
He is so pathetic, no character growth and plain stupid... If I was on the same world, I could NTR his girls in a flash... That is how stupid he is

True

bruh which show did you end up watching ?
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 7, 2019 12:28 PM

Aug 2015
@HopefulNihilist

Inquire about what? The witch? No one knows shit about her. Heck, she's a dilluted foggy legend that people vilify just because it's good to have a scapegoat. What is he going to ask people and what kind of answer is he going to get? Even the so called witch cult knows jack shit about her.

Bullshit. I can ask about the devil as well but all the shit I'll possibly get is shit written in the bible.

Asinine. Truly asinine.

Are you for real? Why would he ask something like this?

Let me paraphrase: "there's this one curse that keeps me alive when I die every other five minutes. Let's try to inquire in order to get rid of it!". It is pretty much what you're saying. Not only would he make himself suspicious merely by asking such a question and put himself in danger but by touching on it, he touches on his lifeline as well. What the F is even going on in your head?

These are the possible things I can think would happen:

The witch stops him from even saying anything. You know, like it happens all the time he tries saying anything?
Someone thinks he is related to the witch, not without cause. And because it's a witch hunt, he'll get killed. Because people don't trust you in those cases.
The witch cult would come to him and realize what he is. From there, he would either die or become someone bad as he is lost in this world.

First of all: The name is Tet, not Ted. Tet probably comes from Tetragrammaton because you know, God and all...

What can Subaru ask the people there? Where am I? "You're in Lugnica dude, didn't you know"? "But I come from some other worrld!" "Ahahahaahah!!!! You're a funny kid aren't you? There is no other world. Stop taking drugs, kid".

Yes, obviously. He's been fed all these isekai where the summoned/reincarnated is the hero of the universe. He learnt the hard way that thigns aren't so easy and self-insert-like. It was meant to be this way. You are not summoned by being omnipotent. You are a human being from a normal world where magic doesn't exist and strength is between normal and impossibly weak.

Mod edit: removed insults
BarnaldMay 8, 2019 10:05 AM
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

May 7, 2019 2:35 PM

Dec 2013
In my opinion Subaru as a character was the best part of Re:Zero. I love the fact that the author is being self-aware about how bad and cringy some of his actions are. Usually all the otaku NEET characters inexplicably get over their personal baggage the second they're transported into another world to fit the standard hero format. Subaru doesn't, and that makes him both refreshing and believable.

I still do think the series is rather mediocre due the rest of it being pretty standard isekai with generic RPG world and I feel indifferent about everything that happened during and after the whaling. However, seeing Subaru affected by the traumatic events in the middle episodes and the resulting breakdown and resolution is probably the most emotional modern isekai has ever been for me.

So yeah, props for Subaru.
Jun 9, 2019 1:36 PM

Jul 2014
I disliked him at the beginning because the author kept using him to masturbate about how clever he is for lampshading isekai cliches and subverting them, then I started disliking him again at the middle of the show when he started to rant like a psycho.

But overall, I didn't really like or hate him as I found him pretty dull throughout and somewhat generic, like all the other characters.

Neutral.
D-ohnutsJun 11, 2019 8:47 AM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.