Forum Settings
Forums

Translate Manga, Win a Trip to Japan?! Manga Translation Battle Vol.7

New
Sep 8, 2018 10:50 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

We are excited to announce that MyAnimeList will once again be hosting...

The competition is simple:
  1. Submit your translation for a number of provided pages from one of three featured manga. You may work alone or with a group.
    Note: Winning groups will only receive one prize.
  2. Repeat for all manga, if desired.
  3. Wait for the winners announcement...
  4. ...Get a prize???!

The best translator for each manga will win the First Prize Award—along with a prize valued at ¥50,000, and possibly the opportunity to translate the entire work as an official translator.

A single Grand Prize Winner from the three individual First Prize winners will instead win a prize valued at ¥100,000—and an invitation to attend the award ceremony in Tokyo, with a free plane ticket.

The three titles selected for the competition are as follows:

Egg Star
Drama

by Seiji Toda

Miyako Bijin Yawa
Josei

by Yumi Sudo

Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes (Novel)
Mystery

by Mai Mochizuki

Ready to participate?

Contest is Now Open!
click that ↑

Deadline is November 5, 2018 23:59 Japan Standard Time.

KinetaSep 8, 2018 10:55 AM
Sep 8, 2018 12:16 PM

Mar 2013
Best of luck to anyone competing; these are always exciting to see
Sep 8, 2018 12:33 PM

Feb 2010
TOKYO! I hear Akihabara is animu and game figurine central! 😍

Sep 8, 2018 12:42 PM
Aug 2018
A trip to Tokyo damn its nice. God i wish i would have known better Japanese :)
Sep 8, 2018 3:52 PM

Aug 2014
Good luck to everyone participating!

Shishio-kun said:
TOKYO! I hear Akihabara is animu and game figurine central! 😍

https://i.imgur.com/dJJSsE9.jpg

>Kurumi pic

Sep 8, 2018 4:09 PM

Jun 2008
So this time we've got a novel (probably the most demanding in terms of English writing skills), a manga where the characters speak in peculiar ways (Kyoto dialect, "geezer speech", etc), and a story about a naive boy who is not familiar with some basic words (so he says チキュウ instead of 地球, good luck conveying that). Interesting choices as usual!
kuchitsuSep 8, 2018 4:13 PM
Sep 8, 2018 6:22 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
As usual, it looks difficult! They're sure good at finding these obscure manga with dialects and other challenges, and there's even a novel this year. Good luck to all participants.

" Manga Translation Battle of Professionals," where eight translators including the past winners of the Manga Translation Battle and professionals with long careers as translators compete against each other in a knockout tournament, will start on September 14th!

What's this :o

That sounds very interesting. I was impressed with the work of some of the past participants, I'm curious to see how they will fare against experienced translators, and how these professionals will approach to translating tricky scripts. However there aren't any other details, so I'm not sure how this tournament will work and how much of it we'll be able to see...
Sep 8, 2018 7:26 PM

Oct 2013
Interesting choices this time! I just read a bit of each entry and there are little quirks which may make them challenging to convey in English. Egg star has piqued my interest and before I knew it, I read the last page lol - going to have to buy this manga now... Good luck to everyone participating!
Sep 9, 2018 4:16 AM

Mar 2012
Looking at the series selected in Manga Translation Battle only reminds me that my English knowledge is far lesser than I actually think. I seriously have no clue about English dialects, can't even imagine what they sound like @_@

If laziness doesn't get the better of me I might give Egg Star a try.

Good luck to all those participating.
Maou_heikaSep 10, 2018 4:10 AM
Sep 9, 2018 5:47 AM

Feb 2018
I'm giving Miyako Biji Yawa a trial if my Japenese knowledge doesn't get into my way(which is quite unlikely)

Wish me luck ^-^
Talk is cheap, show me the code.

Almost is not good enough.
Sep 9, 2018 6:05 AM
May 2018
Best of luck to whoever is participating I hope the person who wins is a levi fan lol
Sep 9, 2018 6:47 AM
Jun 2011
I can't seem to get a feel for how they're judging the translations.

My personal preference as a translator is always to convey exactly what was said: nothing more, nothing less.
Seeing as my submissions have come up short the past two years though, I get the feeling they might be looking more for loose, rewrite type interpretations.

It'll make my skin crawl, but I guess I'll try to be more "creative" than precise with my translations this year.
Sep 9, 2018 7:05 AM

Aug 2018
If i was filthy frank this would be a breeze sadly no but whoever wins i hope youll have a great time
-Just roki roll!!!
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Wimp3452
If you click on that you will die
Sep 9, 2018 9:57 PM

Mar 2016
It seems like I'm the only one who feels that way, but doesn't it seem kind of wrong to put a Manga with basically as little dialogue as possible (Egg Star) in the same contest as a novel and then give roughly the same number of pages to be translated? Even if we completely disregard any quirks that the work might have, the novel will, by default, take longer to be translated.

The reason this bugs me so much is that this hasn't happened in either of the previous years, so I wonder why it happened now.
Sep 10, 2018 1:42 AM

Jun 2008
Hm yeah, the novel seems to be a lot more time-consuming than both mangas put together. Whoever chooses it is a true hero.
Sep 10, 2018 8:49 AM

Feb 2018
Qady128 said:

Best of luck to whoever is participating I hope the person who wins is a levi fan lol

I'm a huge fan of Phantom Troupe though I expect to win, anyways 💪

I'm also kind of hoping to win big. The cash prizes are a bit low, I mean, I never realized that all this money in Yen is less than $ 1000, still good money especially now that I'm ultra-broke but not worth the effort.

I'm more interested in the trip to Japan, though, so, yeah, I think I'll still be giving this my best shot.

Something confuses me though since there is no information whatsoever about the manga that is listed there, two of them, at least.

The other is manga and not a novel but it does look really interesting to the extent that I'd actually prefer to translate it.

I'd like someone to clarify something though, just in case I get started only for this novel to be disqualified(I mean, it's a manga contest, not a novel one).

I don't read manga myself but I know manga are anime novels(or whatever, just no video/audio but more or less static images and text) - why is this manga not on MAL ?

Sep 10, 2018 11:21 AM

Feb 2015
Oh so it's that time of year again. Best of luck to the participants!

Just a side note, why is there a novel entry if it's manga translation battle? Mhhh...
Sep 10, 2018 11:45 AM

Feb 2018
_Ako_ said:

Just a side note, why is there a novel entry if it's manga translation battle? Mhhh...

I am sort of asking the same question, although, admittedly, from the summaries on that page... this story looks a lot better than those other sick love stories 👍

Sep 12, 2018 6:26 AM
May 2016
I'm currently reading the Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes Manga, maybe I should translate the novel
Sep 13, 2018 2:15 AM

Feb 2018
mickal777 said:
I'm currently reading the Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes Manga, maybe I should translate the novel

More like watching but thanks for noting :D

Sep 13, 2018 4:03 AM
Sep 2018
Good luck to everybody who enters for the contest. May the best man or woman win!!
Sep 14, 2018 8:54 AM

Feb 2018
I have finished reading the visual novel Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes(runs to chapter 10, currently airing) and would like submit my translation. As usual, I managed to access it from illegitimate sites(which is not against the rules). That I'm used to doing.

Before I submit my translation, I kind of also wanted to check out the other manga, not that I'm all that willing to pay for them but even if I did, the Manga Store is not available in my country :-(. And this MAL is used to doing.

Sep 16, 2018 12:58 PM
Feb 2018
Arigatoo
Sep 16, 2018 1:16 PM

Feb 2018

What the hell ?

Sep 16, 2018 1:48 PM

Feb 2018
Whatever. anyways, I gave up.

Sorry to disappoint you guys.
awesomenettleSep 20, 2018 4:03 AM

Sep 24, 2018 4:27 AM

Dec 2013
I guess this would be fun to try but I get the feeling that, as a non-native speaker, my English skills are not going to be enough... I have no idea what could be a good equivalent for Kyoto-ben. Maybe I'll try the first one instead lol.
Sep 25, 2018 4:28 AM

Feb 2018
NthDegree said:
I guess this would be fun to try but I get the feeling that, as a non-native speaker, my English skills are not going to be enough... I have no idea what could be a good equivalent for Kyoto-ben. Maybe I'll try the first one instead lol.

Go for it.

Good luck - x.x

Sep 29, 2018 12:30 AM

Feb 2018
Looks like I'm going to try submitting an entry again.

I mean, I've learnt quite some Japanese recently.

Arigatou gozaimasu.

Oct 4, 2018 7:37 AM
Jul 2018
Damn this looks hard as hell. I'm out, yet Good luck to all participants.
Oct 4, 2018 6:36 PM

Feb 2018
Invidioso said:

Damn this looks hard as hell. I'm out, yet Good luck to all participants.

I was almost gonna throw in the towel but when I saw you do it, I figured I wasn't the only person having a hard time with this and decided to try harder.

Oct 12, 2018 7:38 AM

Feb 2018
Qady128 said:

Well, levi looks like someone who really values human life.

Uhmm, yeah, I do actually value human life.

Oct 13, 2018 2:56 PM
Nov 2016
Alright, time to roll!
Let’s do this everybody!
Oct 15, 2018 5:05 AM
Aug 2013
Someone pls complete translating nichijou, i wont give him/her anything but pls :'(
Oct 15, 2018 10:49 PM

Feb 2018
I tried this contest out and posted around here asking people to wish me luck.

I think I was mistaken because while a trip to Japan would be really interesting, I doubt it would motivate me into doing anything.

I have not tried translating anything except I watched something relating to Holmes, that's it. I am quite lazy. Sorry to disappoint.

On the other hand, the cash prizes would motivate me into getting some work done.

Anyways, I just looked at the contest again and I am really confused as to why there seems to be an error in the instructions.

If I am not wrong, we have something like this in the instructions:

"Only the pages which have a number on the bottom are in the range to the translated"

What is the above supposed to mean? This "error" appears in all the three to be translated samples.
awesomenettleOct 15, 2018 11:54 PM

Oct 16, 2018 12:13 AM

Feb 2018
It actually looks possible to translate Egg star even to someone who doesn't really know much Japanese, I mean, given we even have Google translate.

This is totally possible but I doubt your work will be good enough to win anything so there's no point in joining this contest unless your Japanese is actually good.

The prizes seem decent, though, it kind of pisses me off that I'm letting go this contest.

Wait, wait, wait, now that I have tried to look for this given manga title, I just realized that I can't access it from the country I live in(manga store is geolocked) and now, we can safely conclude that this trial is not fair and ought to be revised.

Also, as a native Kenyan, I'd like the geolock MAL has placed on Kenya, with regard to manga store removed. Though honestly speaking, very few people in Kenya read manga, it might as well not be worth the effort.

Mostly, the bottomline here is that I am in Kenya, I've been desperately trying to participate in this contest but I can't access the manga, I can't confirm that I can access from the manga store, though(which seems geolocked in my country).

However, even if this manga was available in the manga store, I doubt I can even pay for anything right now.

I am not only broke, but the only documents I have on me are my identification papers. My family is on my neck so I can't really expect to get any financial help from them and even then, they'd probably quickly conclude that this is something luxury, so...

I don't have any money, I eat, drink, sit at a PC and sleep every day, at least at the moment.

Random Thought: If the API project would moved forward, before this contest deadline is met, I'd probably get some cash there, and, may be I'd come to check out this contest later. See, how nice I am?

I mean, after a lot of searching online(which I am used to). I don't randomly buy things online unless I really like it. I don't exactly like manga and I am not motivated to buy it to read just for fun.

However, I figured that it was possible I could access the manga for free through some torrent site or some other way through which I am forced to pay, get a way to translate it, then earn my prize - life hack.

I seem to have failed since I can't access the manga for free like I thought I would. I actually even considered just translating the pages that could be "read" from the contests page but it didn't look like it was going to work.

So, well, I will admit having failed terribly.

I am actually ashamed that I tried out this contest in the first place.

Although, to some extent I'm all that ashamed either because I need money. I can work hard for cash. And, I like money just like everyone else does.
awesomenettleOct 16, 2018 3:44 AM

Oct 16, 2018 8:24 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
@awesomenettle

> I have finished reading the visual novel Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes(runs to chapter 10, currently airing)
How do you even confuse an anime with a visual novel? And visual novels don't "air".

> would like submit my translation.
Which means you read the japanese novel and translated it.

> As usual, I managed to access it from illegitimate sites(which is not against the rules)
This makes no sense as you claim you watched the anime, not the novel, since the challenge itself provides the pages you should be translating.

> not that I'm all that willing to pay for them
Who asked you to? Again, the challenge provides the pages to translate.

> Whatever. anyways, I gave up.
No surprise there. You didn't even translate the NOVEL.

> I mean, I've learnt quite some Japanese recently. Arigatou gozaimasu.

> I have not tried translating anything
Didn't you claim that you "translated" it after watching the anime (or visual novel to you, apparently). You were even ready to submit your translation. /s

> except I watched something relating to Holmes
We all figured that out.

> there seems to be an error in the instructions
No, there isn't. Did you even check the post properly? Did you check the challenge itself properly? Every entry has the pages to be translated for free without buying anything. Why would the manga store have manga in japanese either way?

> I mean, given we even have Google translate
Yes, Google Translate is the best tool for a good translator. I bet every winner of this competition won using that. /s

> I just realized that I can't access it from the country I live in(manga store is geolocked) and now, we can safely conclude that this trial is not fair and ought to be revised
No, you just have comprehension problems, which is apparent in every single post you have made on this site.

> I don't have any money, I eat, drink, sit at a PC and sleep every day, at least at the moment.
How can an elite dev like you NOT have a job yet? You've been desperate and begging for a job at dena to earn some money, while claiming it would be our loss. WHY not actually find a real job and stop whining about how broke you are in every thread in which no one asked you about it?

> See, how nice I am?
I can't roll my eyes hard enough. DeNA will NEVER hire you. Get over it.

> life hack
If only you had realized that the challenge provides the pages for all 3 entries for free... Read more carefully - life hack.

> So, well, I will admit having failed terribly.
The first realistic thing you have said, though you can't realize how much it's true.

> because I need money. I can work hard for cash.
Then... find a job, elite dev?

Now, can you please stop spamming the thread with every thought that passes your mind, because this is not your personal blog?
Oct 16, 2018 9:05 AM

Feb 2018
Maffy said:

Now, can you please stop spamming the thread with every thought that passes your mind, because this is not your personal blog?

lol - don't spend your work time replying to what I post around here.

You might start having work problems...although, you're mostly just pissing me off in the whole thread.

This is a load of crap but it's between me and MAL.

@maffy - what's between me and MAL is between me and MAL - thanks for the love, Ms/Mrs Superwoman.
awesomenettleOct 16, 2018 10:36 AM

Oct 21, 2018 2:24 PM
Oct 2018
Best of luck to anyone competing!!
Who wants to teach the world Japanese? (please pick me, teach me Japanese, I want to learn!)
I recommend a coding video game using Japanese and english characters that teach the Japanese alphabet and later on add sound and recording technology to test your skills.
The game should be a MUD (Multi-User-Dungeon) or MUD, similar to Genesis MUD and should have anime elements like final fantasy.
Just a thought if you guys want more people to be able to translate Japanese.

Does anyone like this idea?
Oct 21, 2018 2:34 PM

Nov 2011
BlackDahlia49 said:
Best of luck to anyone competing!!
Who wants to teach the world Japanese? (please pick me, teach me Japanese, I want to learn!)
I recommend a coding video game using Japanese and english characters that teach the Japanese alphabet and later on add sound and recording technology to test your skills.
The game should be a MUD (Multi-User-Dungeon) or MUD, similar to Genesis MUD and should have anime elements like final fantasy.
Just a thought if you guys want more people to be able to translate Japanese.

Does anyone like this idea?

there are already tons of games that teach basic japanese - mostly the kana.
if you want to get beyond that, its strongly recommended to get a good grammar book (ideally a class). you could try and interact with japanese players in a japanese game, but interaction would be difficult, if not impossible, without knowing at least the basic grammar and vocabulary.

btw, i tried my Japanese Coach, which is supposed to teach you Japanese - is is as edutainment as it gets. to some extent it did succeed, but theres enough mistakes to not make it recommendation worth.

im not sure MUD would be all that useful for learning unless there are knowledgeable people with at least 5+ years worth of Japanese language under their belt, and even then, they would hardly qualify as being "fluent".
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Oct 21, 2018 3:06 PM
Oct 2018
Which games?
Oct 21, 2018 3:30 PM

Nov 2011
BlackDahlia49 said:
Which games?

literally typing "japanese hiragana" or something along those lines should give you several different games in the app store that promises to teach you the characters. they may or may not do a good job at it - My Japanese Coach, which is supposed to be more of a "professional" education game still contained elementary mistakes, so i have my doubts relying on kana teaching games is such a good idea. your best bet is always to get a good grammar resource written by a certified teacher.
(its also good idea, if anything, as a resource when you need to check on a grammar point or two)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Oct 21, 2018 3:40 PM
Oct 2018
http://crystallize-online.com
This is the one I've settled on trying to play first!! <3 and thank you for the advice about the grammar.
Nov 5, 2018 4:15 PM

Jun 2008
Submitted! As a non-native English speaker with little writing experience I'm obviously not getting anywhere but hey, it was very fun and I can't wait to see the other entries. Than you for this experience MyAnimeList!
Oct 3, 2019 9:10 AM

Jun 2008
Will there be another one this year?

More topics from this board

» You Should Read This Manga 2024: Nominate! ( 1 2 )

Kineta - Dec 12, 2023

70 by seolinks12 »»
3 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

231 by ParadiseSukai »»
May 6, 11:57 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.