Forum Settings
Forums

Does watching A LOT of anime make you an otaku?

New
What do you think?
May 8, 2018 1:42 AM

Oct 2017
I watched a lot of anime since around 2016 or so, now i finally achieved 500 anime entries and 120 days. Some of my friends called me otaku for only watching anime a lot...
What do you guys think?
May 8, 2018 1:59 AM

Oct 2014
Your friends are simply calling you an anime fan. I doubt they even know that the word has a different meaning in Japan.
May 8, 2018 2:46 AM

Sep 2011
Well, if you watched tons of anime and you love anime, I don't think one could not call you an otaku.

May 8, 2018 3:32 AM

Mar 2016
When I think of otaku, I'm reminded of Genshiken. I think it's an accurate representation of them. Personally, I wouldn't call someone an otaku if they just watch many anime.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

May 8, 2018 3:46 AM

Apr 2015
Tennouji said:
Well, if you watched tons of anime and you love anime, I don't think one could not call you an otaku.

I agree. You're probably watching anime because you prefer it over other shows and like it a lot. I don't think you have to read manga, do cosplay or whatever else to be called an otaku.
May 8, 2018 3:58 AM

Apr 2011
If you’re at a point where anime has become an unhealthy addiction to your life then I’d consider you an otaku.
May 8, 2018 5:53 AM

Jun 2017
I think yes. But in my opinion, not only watching a lot of anime make you an otaku, but also "wish" if I call it by that. You can be an otaku too without have 500+ or more watched anime. You must just love anime and manga.
May 8, 2018 11:55 AM

Jan 2018
You can come back here and agree with how characters in Genshiken or anime club members in Great Teacher Onizuka behaviors matched with your personality. Otaku definition is quite confusing, some consider that gaijin like you can never become one, while others think that you're an otaku if you generally dislike social activities.
May 16, 2018 3:10 PM

Sep 2015
I mean you need to get real into it, not just by watching it. Cons, merchandise ect
May 16, 2018 3:12 PM

Aug 2017
Only if you enjoy it.

I watch a fuckton of anime and I kinda hate pretty much all of it. The only things I do end up liking are the ones that "transcend" the medium in a sense, or don't feel or look like an anime. So I wouldn't even call myself an anime fan, let alone an otaku, even though I watch everything indiscriminately.
May 16, 2018 3:14 PM

Mar 2018
If you simply Watch A Lot of animes, that just make you an anime fan.

Otaku:
If you love animes, and become Obsessed with it, by that, I mean you actually spend IRL $$$$ to show your love and support to the specific anime that you most desires.

At least that's my personal opinion of what an otaku is.

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ YOᑌ.... ᑕOᑌᒪᗪ IT ᗷE TᕼᗩT YOᑌ'ᖇE ᒍᑌᔕT ᗩᑎ IᗪIOT?
~ Araragi Senpai

* .    *
.      ˚    *   ·
.  ✦             ✫ ·
.    ✢    °         ✧    .       
May 17, 2018 12:57 AM

Oct 2017
MeclairX said:
If you simply Watch A Lot of animes, that just make you an anime fan.

Otaku:
If you love animes, and become Obsessed with it, by that, I mean you actually spend IRL $$$$ to show your love and support to the specific anime that you most desires.

At least that's my personal opinion of what an otaku is.

Now that is true. I do agree with your statement. So i considered myself not an otaku.
May 17, 2018 1:05 AM

Nov 2015
Like others have said it depends on how much your into the fandom in terms of spending time and money.
May 17, 2018 1:37 AM

Jan 2015
My japanese students basically call me otaku the moment they realize I've watched more than 20ish anime lmao so you don't really have to think so deeply about it. If the japanese use the word so loosely, it doesn't really matter anyway i guess

May 18, 2018 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
Not really..It is more about being a obsessive fanboy.Otaku means obessive fanboy does nothing all day just watch anime & manga. It is a negative term.

P.S.
I'm not just a obsessive of fanboy of Anime & Manga. I'm a obsessive fanboy of Song of Ice & Fire, The Witcher, Lord Of The The Rings, Elric of Melnibone, Slaine, Dune, and European Comics & graphic novels as well.
May 18, 2018 11:14 AM

Oct 2015
No, but having an account on this website makes you one. Real talk though, like others mentioned I doubt they meant it in a negative way.
May 18, 2018 11:29 AM
Aug 2016
They'll probably call you a weeaboo/anime fan instead.

I think otaku is just the same as a weeaboo.

Inb4 some angry user quotes me telling otaku and weeb are 2 different things
May 18, 2018 2:05 PM

Apr 2014
depends on your definition of anime. not just country of origin or whatever, but if someone joined today and just watched 500 10 second shorts and had 1.4 hours worth of anime time, would they also be an "otaku"?
May 18, 2018 6:06 PM

Dec 2008
No-all it would do is ruin your eyesight.
Life Is Short But Intense.
May 19, 2018 2:44 PM

Sep 2007
Kids thought I was a weirdo for watching Dragon Ball Z in the '90s. Although, the Pokemon craze was going on at the exact same time.

May 19, 2018 2:57 PM
May 19, 2018 4:20 PM

Jan 2016
nah if all you do is just watch a lot of anime then you're just an anime fan.
May 19, 2018 4:27 PM

Oct 2012
Nah, an otaku must be strongly opinionated on some issue because he is knowledgeable about it. A typical American anime fan (on MAL) is like "I love anime therefore I love all anime and each one of my babies deserve a 10!"
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 21, 2018 3:24 AM

Jun 2016
I am missing something here but being called an Otaku is a negative thing??
Just perceived it as being someone who loves animes and manga and anything related to that which is nothing really wrong.
Gift by Mimurona

May 21, 2018 4:34 AM

Jun 2011
Based said:
They'll probably call you a weeaboo/anime fan instead.

I think otaku is just the same as a weeaboo.

Inb4 some angry user quotes me telling otaku and weeb are 2 different things

It is not in my mind. Otaku is a knowledgable fan. Obcessed sure, but knowledgeable. You can know fluent Japanese and be Otaku. Weebs cannot.
Not even mad but.... how I always used it.

Otaku:
Spend money on their chosen dedication and as anime fans that means buying the bluray/DVD and paying for a streaming service. And used to mean recording a lot of stuff off the TV to pass around to others.
Are knowledgeable. Try to expand their knowledge as much as possible. Try to know everything about everything. Can be off putting, especially to people who don't know much.
Sometimes this abundance of info dump drives other people away. Impacts their ability to talk to people who are not interested in what they are.
Often obsession leads to at least taking a Japanese class formally if they are not already Japanese. lol.
Can have many energy levels but feel energized by their hobby.
Typically an adult, who may have been a well meaning weeb as a teen.
Come off elitist.
Knowing a lot about the hobby is the biggest requirement.

Weeb:
Think they know everything (they don't)
Are typically young though older ones exist.
Typically don't spend money on their hobby unless it is a cosplay, which in no way helps the people who make the stuff they claim to love.
Have no idea how anything works, including the Japanese language or society. But think they do.
Typically hyper and excited to the point of annoyance, have little self control.
Entitled, feel they have the right to anime.
Often self deprecative- especially when used by someone who is not really a weeb but more an Otaku.
Watching a lot of the medium is not a requirement. Having little knowledge is a requirement.

There are also addicts which can fall into either category but... typically they are people who keep watching anime even though they say they don't like it anymore. This is what addicts do.
Energetic-NovaMay 21, 2018 4:48 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 21, 2018 4:40 AM

Jul 2017
You became an otaku when

1. You think you are an otaku
or
2. People think you are an otaku
May 21, 2018 4:43 AM

Dec 2015
Unconcerned said:
The term deals with obsessive interest in a certain hobby, so if anime is your primary choice for your free time then sure the term could apply. It's not a negative label but I guess some view it that way.

It really is a negative label since in Japan being otaku is something negative. The labels have the meaning that they are given.
May 21, 2018 4:50 AM

Jun 2011
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
I am missing something here but being called an Otaku is a negative thing??
Just perceived it as being someone who loves animes and manga and anything related to that which is nothing really wrong.

There is nothing wrong with it. People just hate people loving things and also knowing a lot about them. It can be annoying to talk to someone who knows so much about something that "doesn't matter".
May 21, 2018 4:50 AM

Jun 2011
Dakota_Ackerman said:
Unconcerned said:
The term deals with obsessive interest in a certain hobby, so if anime is your primary choice for your free time then sure the term could apply. It's not a negative label but I guess some view it that way.

It really is a negative label since in Japan being otaku is something negative. The labels have the meaning that they are given.

Except when used as a badge of honor and pride. What is bad is being a NEET. But Otaku and NEET aren't the same thing. More modern usage is a lot like calling yourself a geek or nerd now. Which ummmm yeah both have been used as a negative against "dorks". But we don't care now do we?

"Oh you know so much about random crap that doesn't matter, you must be a really frivolous person" it is apart of American culture too. I get looked down on by some for making costumes and going out but the same thing gets me lots of praise too because they can see the work I put into it.

If you considered that being geeky/nerdy also has historically been used as an insult you could see how the people who fly that flag wouldn't care.
Energetic-NovaMay 21, 2018 4:54 AM
May 21, 2018 5:31 AM

Dec 2015
Energetic-Nova said:
Dakota_Ackerman said:

Except when used as a badge of honor and pride. What is bad is being a NEET. But Otaku and NEET aren't the same thing. More modern usage is a lot like calling yourself a geek or nerd now. Which ummmm yeah both have been used as a negative against "dorks". But we don't care now do we?

"Oh you know so much about random crap that doesn't matter, you must be a really frivolous person" it is apart of American culture too. I get looked down on by some for making costumes and going out but the same thing gets me lots of praise too because they can see the work I put into it.

If you considered that being geeky/nerdy also has historically been used as an insult you could see how the people who fly that flag wouldn't care.

In Japan it is used pejoratively and the word is original from there, another thing is that we use it here differently and incorrectly. Clear that each one gives him the meaning that he wants to give him ..
May 21, 2018 7:22 AM

Apr 2016
Well it depends on the country of origin you know.

But in general mostly it make someone a weab.
May 21, 2018 7:33 AM

Jun 2011
Unconcerned said:
Dakota_Ackerman said:

Definitions and culture change with time and geographical location also affects words. At the core of that an Otaku is, it's just an obsessive hobby and Japanese people are rational humans with varying experiences.

For example here is a video where someone interviewed a few people about the topic.

It's a small sample size but you can see a varying opinion positive and negative.

For OP it really depends on if his friends are playing around with him or if they're trying to insult his obsessiveness. It also depends on how he chooses to view the word on if it's negative or positive. Plenty of people outside of Japan including me don't view it negatively.

Just like there is varrying opinion based on if you are "in a fandom" or not on if that is cool or not. My dad said in his day someone who liked "cartoons" would have been beaten up. And in many places that is still true. But, now, liking that sort of thing, depending on where you live and your personal social circle, loving anime isn't considered bad at all.

Like the younger of the two Japanese teachers I had said Otaku wasn't bad, the older one said it can depend how obsessive they actually are. Granted the one who said it wasn't bad always was reading shoujo manga all the time.
Energetic-NovaMay 21, 2018 7:38 AM
May 21, 2018 10:17 AM

Dec 2015

We continue at the same point, the original basic meaning has always been negative, although outside of Japan it has been given a different meaning as a result of an error.

That is why I say that the meaning of something changes according to the meaning you want to give it, but that does not prevent the original meaning of the word from being negative.
May 21, 2018 10:44 AM

Aug 2017
Comrade that is like saying "Does helping the homeless make me a communist?" No, it doesn't make you an communist, it just means your'e nice to those who are unfortunate. Just like watching a lot of anime doesn't make you an otaku.
May 21, 2018 11:17 AM

May 2013
Not really coz any normalfag that just got fired or something can binge watch anime on netflix and then be al like

HAI GUIZE IM SUCH OTAKU LOL KAWAIIIIII~~ <3<3<3<3<3
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 26, 2018 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
otaku does mean fan of something so yeah, if you've watched a decent amount and continue to watch, read, even have a fascination with the paranormal, the night and so forth. it's not as bad of a word as it use to be in Japan, sure it's still considered wrong to announce it, but, they aren't as bullied as they use to be and a lot of them still have a life.
Aug 19, 2018 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
Otaku has like a million definitions

1. Regular anime/manga/light novel fan
2. Hardcore anime/manga/light novel fan
3. Synonym for weeaboo
4. Fan of Japan in general
5. Hardcore fan of something in general (Japanese definition)

So fuck the word otaku it's just a fucking meme at this point
Aug 19, 2018 1:32 PM

Apr 2016
S-kRt said:
Otaku has like a million definitions

1. Regular anime/manga/light novel fan
2. Hardcore anime/manga/light novel fan
3. Synonym for weeaboo
4. Fan of Japan in general
5. Hardcore fan of something in general (Japanese definition)

So fuck the word otaku it's just a fucking meme at this point

Yes, we should use the correct term, weab is the correct one.

Only a weab calls themselves otaku unironically.
Aug 20, 2018 1:44 AM
Jul 2018
You can be Otaku just by watching anime or reading any manga to a lot of people. The only ones who openly call themselves Otakus in real life are the ones who are actually Weeaboos.
Aug 20, 2018 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
NO....It means hardcore anime fan with no social skills.
Aug 20, 2018 6:57 PM

Jul 2015
What do I think? This is what I think: who cares. Different people will define "otaku" differently, so it's hard to kind of put up a general standard for what defines an "otaku." Because to me, an otaku is just a person who likes anime. But honestly, why does the title even matter? I mean unless your friends define "otaku" as something derogatory, then I guess I can see one might be concerned about it, but still.

caught in the wonder
Aug 21, 2018 8:15 AM

Mar 2013
No. Otaku doesn't mean someone who watch a lot of anime
Aug 21, 2018 8:21 AM

Feb 2018
Eh, people have to come up with a name for everything. I watch what I want, and I don't give a hoot if someone thinks I'm an "otakuuuuuuuuu".
Aug 21, 2018 8:21 AM

Jan 2013
You guys need to research what the word means or either watch Genshiken or Otaku no Video.
It has nothing to do with watching a lot of anime.

Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 21, 2018 10:30 AM

Feb 2016
refsky said:
I watched a lot of anime since around 2016 or so, now i finally achieved 500 anime entries and 120 days. Some of my friends called me otaku for only watching anime a lot...
What do you guys think?

Watching a lot of anime doesn't alone make you an otaku, however if you find yourself with having very little to talk about with your friends apart from anime( and anime is taking up the overwhelming majority of your time etc), I would say that your life balance with anime could do with some adjusting.

More topics from this board

» How do you feel about your digital footprint becoming your digital tombstone?

Shizuna - 3 minutes ago

0 by Shizuna »»
3 minutes ago

» Is the word 'simp' fallen out of context in 2024?

Kiryotsu - Yesterday

26 by Spunkert »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts?

Freshell - May 5

38 by Freshell »»
6 minutes ago

» For those of you who are in a relationship, do you consider yourselves lucky?

UnstableBrat - 6 hours ago

6 by deg »»
59 minutes ago

» Are you a pushover

ST63LTH - 2 hours ago

3 by elgatosaika »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.