Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 6, 2018 1:26 AM
Jun 2017
So I've seen the first two season ps of the anime and now I'm watching the 3rd season (re) and I have no idea what's going on.

Anyways, is reading the manga worth it? Keep in mind, I don't read manga online. I'd have to but the books from books-a-million. It would probably take me months and 100s of dollars to get caught up to where the anime is.
May 6, 2018 1:35 AM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

I don't know what happens in the manga beyond where the second season ended, but from what I can tell, there's a pretty mixed reaction to how the manga continues on. The best I can suggest is to check out some of the reviews to see if anything sounds worthwhile.
May 6, 2018 3:23 AM

Aug 2017
Yep it is. If it is me I would read from Tokyo Ghoul. The 2nd season doesn't follow the manga but do have the same conclusion, from what I've been researching.
The Tokyo ghoul manga have 14 volumes and all already released.

If you're an English manga reader it would probably take you 1 year for you to catch up since you do not read online.

And again, it is worth it to read the tokyo ghoul manga and add them to your collection.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
May 6, 2018 3:25 AM

May 2017
Absolutely.

Manga is much better,especially the art part.
Anime is satisfying too imo
I liked the deviation between the story in manga
and anime cuz i got more of it.

Start from beginning of manga and then when you finish it start series,thats my advice
May 6, 2018 10:33 AM

Oct 2015
Ya its good, I would recommend reading the first manga because root a was anime original and does not follow the canon. after that you either

- read :re and catch up but suffer the torture of waiting a week for a new chapter
- or wait for :re to finish because its in a final arc which could be twenty possibly forty more chapters. With a potential part 3
Cyborg_DragonMay 6, 2018 10:53 AM
May 7, 2018 8:04 AM

Jun 2011
Read the first manga from the beginning. Even first season skipped way too many important scenes and Root A was an unfaithful disaster.

As for re: at first for me it was meh, then it became really good, then it became a rushed mess, finally it totally switched the direction of the story, then switched the direction of the story again. The author rushed and skipped many fights. If you expected to see some epic fights with certain characters, you'll be disappointed, cause they were offscreened and only dead bodies were shown. Current re is mediocre, I love the first 14 and first 7 volumes of :re, but after that the quality keeps going down and down.

Also, the amount of save the girl arcs in the latter half of re: is ridiculous.
May 7, 2018 11:45 AM

Oct 2015
CharlesMarlow said:
Read the first manga from the beginning. Even first season skipped way too many important scenes and Root A was an unfaithful disaster.

As for re: at first for me it was meh, then it became really good, then it became a rushed mess, finally it totally switched the direction of the story, then switched the direction of the story again. The author rushed and skipped many fights. If you expected to see some epic fights with certain characters, you'll be disappointed, cause they were offscreened and only dead bodies were shown. Current re is mediocre, I love the first 14 and first 7 volumes of :re, but after that the quality keeps going down and down.

Agreeably my worst complaint about :re is the off-screened deaths or the off screens in general.

The save the girl thing might soon get more ridiculous since Ishida made a poem hinting at
May 8, 2018 11:34 AM

Oct 2017
I wouldn't recommend it. It turns into garbage half way through but since for some reason many still like it, you might as well.
May 8, 2018 11:36 AM

Oct 2017
CharlesMarlow said:

Yeah its ridiculous how often Ishida changes the direction of the story. I think the latest was completely unnecessary and made the story way less interesting. First 7 volumes were great for sure.

The fights in :Re are a joke, every hyped dude was underwhelming and they were often too short but watch fans defend it and say its because TG is not a Shounen.
May 8, 2018 12:50 PM
Sep 2017
I think you should read the manga, the anime has some changes, especially in √A. As of :re, there's some who says it's aa bad as s2, but overall it should follow the manga.

P.S. Tokyo Ghoul collection is also available on Amazon
May 12, 2018 2:34 AM
May 2016
Aardwolf94 said:
CharlesMarlow said:

Yeah its ridiculous how often Ishida changes the direction of the story. I think the latest was completely unnecessary and made the story way less interesting. First 7 volumes were great for sure.

The fights in :Re are a joke, every hyped dude was underwhelming and they were often too short but watch fans defend it and say its because TG is not a Shounen.

I can tell both of you guys don't understand what TG:re is about or TG is simply not meant for you, TG is simply character driven story like it or not it's up to you, but the series is good and is one of the best out there, if you don't like the direction of the series or certain stuff you didn't like about it is just an opinion and doesn't make the series bad just because you don't you don't like it, yeah it's not like your average shounen battle manga were they're about mindless fights and that's what shounen manga always stand for, I'm not saying beyond that you will know what I'm talking about OP if you read the first volume online.
NarukoOtakuMay 12, 2018 2:43 AM
Sep 6, 2018 5:03 PM

Aug 2015
Just read the manga tbh.

Sep 7, 2018 4:15 PM

Jun 2016
I suggest don t continue readingTG re after chapter 100. You should read TG re from chapter 1 to chapter 100. But after Chapter 100,the quality keep dropping and dropping then It turn absolute mess near the climax.

This series starts very good but drop in massive quality near the climax of the series.

Sep 9, 2018 6:22 PM

Jul 2013
Watch the first two series and treat Root A as the ending. All you miss out on is a lot of subplots that never go anywhere and :re in general is best avoided.
Sep 30, 2018 11:18 PM

Jan 2018
I'd say it was worth reading. Loved Tokyo ghoul but at some point maybe around chapter 130 of Tokyo ghoul re it got kind of boring an uninteresting imo.

The anime was ok, season 1 was good but the following seasons are real messy and after just watching the first episode of season 3 of tokyo ghoul re(supposed to air on oct 9 but had an early release)i'd say there's honestly no point of watching Tokyo ghoul if you want a complete and coherent story.

If your interested in Tokyo ghoul then buy the manga. The anime just isn't worth the time. I'm still watching it though just as a recap of the manga and I want to see it animated.

Oct 1, 2018 12:27 AM

Aug 2015
The manga really worth it man.

Oct 2, 2018 5:38 AM
Sep 2018
Root A Was a made up story the reason you cant understand Re is cause season 1 3 and 4 is set on the manga as Root A is not what Root A was suppose to be is in the manga so you should read the manga and the manga is also worth it.
Oct 5, 2018 6:34 PM

Oct 2017
Klonoa said:
The manga really worth it man.

Only the original. Re turned into shit
Oct 5, 2018 8:34 PM

Nov 2016
The Manga: Worth it
The Anime: Not worth it after TG S1
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2018 8:05 AM

Oct 2013
Only the original is worth it, re is garbage.
Oct 6, 2018 8:13 AM

Sep 2018
If you like the anime, then yes. The manga is great, especially the art. It’s beautiful.
There’s also a lot more in the manga, the anime rushes a few things while the manga takes its time.
Oct 7, 2018 10:12 AM

Jul 2014
The original manga and first 1/3 of :re are great and worth it but everything after chapter 80 is hot garbage. The quality drop down quite a bit and by the end, it's a fucking mess and you can barely tell what you are reading + the ending is rushed as hell.

It's up to you really.
Oct 19, 2018 9:34 PM

Nov 2015
Nope it's not. The top review gave it a 4/10.
It's even worse then the 1st manga and just as bad as the anime.

move on
HACKs! šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®
Oct 20, 2018 9:15 PM

May 2015
The quality definitely declined in the last third of the story, but dont blatantly lie and say it's as bad as the anime lmao. Even taking some of the contrived/asspull-ish narrative points into account, it atleast made coherent sense and had more ups in comparison to the anime
Old_School_Akira said:
Nope it's not. The top review gave it a 4/10.
It's even worse then the 1st manga and just as bad as the anime.

move on

Oct 21, 2018 9:51 AM

Sep 2017
It is if ''Adult shounens'' like parasyte is your thing.
Oct 26, 2018 12:51 PM

Jan 2018
Definitely worth it
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
Nov 1, 2018 8:00 PM
Oct 2018
Devil_Slayer said:
The original manga and first 1/3 of :re are great and worth it but everything after chapter 80 is hot garbage. The quality drop down quite a bit and by the end, it's a fucking mess and you can barely tell what you are reading + the ending is rushed as hell.

It's up to you really.

I still think the story was pretty good upto chapter 145. The real problems started after that. You can say the pay off wasn't worth the hype but at least it made some sense.
Nov 5, 2018 11:59 PM

Jun 2012
I'd say no. I've heard people say it's so much better than the anime but it's essentially the same. The anime does cut out some important parts but you can get past that, the only real problems are Kanou and Hide imo. And I personally have no problems with the pacing of the anime. If anything the manga feels slow at times. Definitely not worth the money.
Nov 6, 2018 12:14 AM

Mar 2014
No. Everything that has to do with Tokyo Ghoul is 1/10 worthy at best
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 12, 2018 4:24 PM
Jun 2015
Adi-Buddha said:
So I've seen the first two season ps of the anime and now I'm watching the 3rd season (re) and I have no idea what's going on.

Anyways, is reading the manga worth it? Keep in mind, I don't read manga online. I'd have to but the books from books-a-million. It would probably take me months and 100s of dollars to get caught up to where the anime is.

it is SOOO worth it to read the manga!!! It's amazing. if you need a site to watch it on you can find it on mangago.me :3

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul:re Conclusion Then vs Now

PSN - Jan 12, 2022

10 by Zero01guard »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.