Forum Settings
Forums

Is it worth watching anime that have a score less than 7?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 30, 2018 10:39 PM

Feb 2010
Yes don't be a elitists that thinks anything bellow a 8 is bad.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 1, 2018 12:26 AM

Apr 2018
well, MAL scores doesn't matter, watch an anime suitable to u n that's it
May 1, 2018 12:37 AM

Apr 2017
I feel so bad for people that care for ratings so much that they won't give a chance to lower scored anime.
cunnysseur
May 1, 2018 12:51 AM

Oct 2012
Swagernator said:
Most hentai shows are scored below 7, and yet they are in most cases better than those anime rated above 7.

Thats because people are generally afraid of letting people how much they enjoy said content.

mosam00 said:
There haven been a few new anime recently that I was interested in watching, but held them off until they were finished to start. I checked their scores recently and they're below 7, is it still worth watching them? Have any of you enjoyed anime (thought they were actually good, rather than just fun) that had a score of less than 7 on this website?

There are a few entertaining shows that are below a 7 MAL average, but honestly a good rule of thumb is if the MAL average is below a 7, It doesn't have wide-spread appeal and you'd only like it if it caters to your niche.

There are good shows that have a rating under 7 but you have to dig them up, and most people aren't willing to sift through thousands of entries that fit that bill. However, If its under a 6, It is mostly definitely going to be objectively terrible unless we're talking un-intentional comedies like Garzey's Wing, which is absolutely must see (dubbed).
May 1, 2018 1:05 AM

Jun 2016
Just an interesting point to throw in, is that if an anime is older and obscure, its rating tends to be lower than that of general anime on MAL, even if they're around same quality. I'm pretty sure this is because the types of people who watch old, obscure anime usually rate more harshly. Even if I'm wrong on the reason why, I think the score being lower despite no difference in quality is a real trend.

For general anime, anything below a 7 worries me.
For obscure anime, I think even a 5 can be entertaining, and don't worry unless I see a 4.
May 1, 2018 2:03 AM

Apr 2018
I do not know really, I often watch anime series under the score 8, but less than 7,,,, would not try that,

but I think there are a lot of good ones
May 1, 2018 3:21 AM

Oct 2008
I never ever watch or read anything based off scores, what some call sweet others might call bitter its all preferences at the end of the day.

I read and watch based of genres, and synopsis sometimes off picture cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

#MakeAnimeGreatAgain

SAY NO MORE LOLI! BRING MORE GENRES EVERY SEASON THAN JUST LOLI
May 1, 2018 3:37 AM

Jul 2016
As everyone has said MAL overall scores dont mean much. The biggest issue for me is too many people rate everything from 6-10 this hyper inflates scores. This means garbage like Lelouch gets a higher score then it deserves as well as trash like KissXSis... I mean who has watched KissXSis and honestly gives it a 7+???

Honestly scores 5-7 are more likely to be scored by people who actually care and scores of 4 or lower are probably inferior product but sometimes you find a gem you like anyways.
May 1, 2018 3:53 AM

Dec 2015
They are some good shows with score lower than 7.00. Also bad shows with scores higher than 8.5. (There the overrated and hyped stuff exists ... like Steins;Gate.)

Also MAL community seems to be more harsh nowadays. I'm watching a lot of stuff now that I like where I had expected the score higher maybe around 7.5 and it only manages 7 or even 6.xx. (That goes especially for stuff like Mahou Shoujo Site where years ago people liked crazy stuff like that ... for example Higurashi which got released years ago is scored higher.)
May 8, 2018 7:29 PM

Nov 2012
Tennouji said:
hiyoon said:

i watched the entire show and i wanted to kill myself when it ended

whats your reasons why its a gem?

Because that show is meant to be hated and most people misunderstand that they hated it = it's bad.

I congratulate the creator of that show for making me pissed on that show successfully.

It really doesn't matter if the show is "meant to be hated" when the excecution is so terrible and filled with an extremely unpleasant cast and watching the show feels like a chore.

So yes, in this case the "they hated it=bad" is justified.
May 8, 2018 7:37 PM

Apr 2013
Be cautious about popular shows below that score, it's usually bad, and consider the unpopular ones, these are sometimes rated low because only people who rate low watch them.
May 8, 2018 8:01 PM

Sep 2011
SuperRed said:

It really doesn't matter if the show is "meant to be hated" when the excecution is so terrible and filled with an extremely unpleasant cast and watching the show feels like a chore.

I may watched it long ago so I completely forgot about the details regarding School Days so I can't say anything about the execution unfortunately.

Although I believe these "extremely unpleasant casts" are intentional in order to achieve what the creator of that show is trying to pull. In fact, I might find it hilarious if there's one person who found there's a single character on School Days that he/she found redeemable or acceptable. As I've stated, the show is made to be hated.

Saying "it doesn't matter" is just...

May 8, 2018 8:11 PM

Apr 2011
I think sometimes it’s worth it. I feel like some scores tend to get skewed by avid anime fans due to an anime’s popularity with the general viewers (or casuals). But it’s very rare for that to happen with anime with score less than 7. Usually just the ones between 7 and 8.
May 9, 2018 9:18 AM

Nov 2012
Tennouji said:
SuperRed said:

I may watched it long ago so I completely forgot about the details regarding School Days so I can't say anything about the execution unfortunately.

Although I believe these "extremely unpleasant casts" are intentional in order to achieve what the creator of that show is trying to pull. In fact, I might find it hilarious if there's one person who found there's a single character on School Days that he/she found redeemable or acceptable. As I've stated, the show is made to be hated.

Saying "it doesn't matter" is just...

Yeah no, there an unlikable characters in good anime, but there is no reason why they couldn't add at least one character that can the audience can root for.

The only remotely decent one was Katsura, and that was before the dumb ending.

May 9, 2018 9:26 AM

Nov 2014
Yes. Yes. Yes they are worth your time. The general consensus is not something you can trust. While it can be useful to understand where everyone else stands, and can help prime expectations, there are some really good gems with mean scores under 7. For example, a good number of people give short-format shows really low ratings just because they are short, not understanding the purpose and place of such shows.

Even if the show ends up being bad, watching something like that can further establish what you like and don't like in anime, refining your understanding of your taste.
May 9, 2018 9:33 AM

Apr 2016
I just read the plot summary and I decide if I want to watch it I never really pay attention to the score unless it is crazy low
May 9, 2018 10:52 AM

May 2009
-----noname----- said:
Trust MAL Scores for the most part. Set very low expectations for shows <7 you may be pleasantly surprised but don't expect anything. Think of a fun watch rather than a good watch. <8, You should just watch it with mild to no expectations don't set a low bar but don't get your hopes up. 8+ you should be expecting the show to do a few things right. Of course some genres are going to have a lower average rating , mainstream anime are also going to have lower ratings because of hipsters, some will have artificially high ratings because other shows in the genre aren't done right. Generally speaking <7 set low bar watch for fun not quality , 8+ set a standard of some sorts, know your genres.
UndisputedEra said:
Yeah imo it is. I have a few anime that are rated six and five that I really enjoyed. There are a few gems here and there which I really enjoy. But it is hard for me to get into an anime that's rated below seven, so the ones that are below 7 are usually ones that I was watching while it was airing lol.
Y'know I'm still a little surprised that people (not just you two specifically, but in general, including people like the OP who are considering this) actually pick what to watch based on the score. Because my experience is that MAL scores work like this:

* above 8: hyped and popular.
* below 8: most shows, just not the famous ones. Without a fanbase of other people to repeat memes about how good a show is (because the show isn't that well-known), people tend to revert to a sort of general cautious rating of the form "this show is enjoyable but not perfect", unless they don't like it.
* niche shows tend to clock in below 7. That's because some people whose tastes don't fit its niche pick up the show and end up disliking it.

In other words, it's generally a popularity rating.

Now if you specifically want stuff that's like, the most representative/typical of western anime fandom tastes, then yeah, obviously the scores mean that, or you could just use those giant rec lists that people hand out like candy on the internet.

But it's just not necessarily gonna fit your tastes. A show that's an 8 is, perhaps, more likely to entertain you, but not guaranteed to do so. A show that's a 6 is perhaps less likely to entertain you, but it certainly still can. How likely these are depends on how similar your tastes are to the fandom average. But you obviously shouldn't simply pick a show because it's >8, and similarly I suggest against dropping a show just because it's <7.

One fun thing you can do is to enter your name into https://graph.anime.plus/ and then use the "Anime list" feature on the left to show you how much your ratings differ from the fandom average. Don't be afraid to disagree -- rather, where you disagree with the fandom average, is probably the most interesting data you can get, then if you're really in the mood you can try to think about why you liked or disliked a given show a lot more than the fandom average did.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 9, 2018 1:46 PM

Jul 2012
yes i watch stuff above 6 because some of my faves are in that zone too.

but 5? thats when u know its kinda bad
May 9, 2018 4:16 PM

Oct 2017
Actually, in Mals case, yes.

I were proven that in many occasion that some 6.xx rated on Mal is more enjoyable to watch than many 8s. (Some of them have even stupider writing, but because the protag is op/ handsome/ cool/ pretty/ sexy, they got undeserved rating)
May 9, 2018 5:11 PM

May 2009
-----noname----- said:
First off that link was pretty cool. Stuff that I found from my profile; all my 9 and 10s are above average rating(of course that will be for most peoples 9s and 10s as very few shows get higher than a 9) My 8s are a mix and everything <8 is under average rating. From that it definitely shows that my tastes allign somewhat with MAL's rating system.

In a rating system of course it 's a popularity contest of sorts the more people who watch a show the more likely it is that it gets a higher score. Most people including myself do not watch just to watch and will only pick up shows that fit their tastes, most users on MAL barely record Dropped shows including myself for most of the time I have viewed anime.

In terms of niche yea the score will be lower because less people will watch it because it's niche and those who do are more likely to have seen a lot of other shows and are more likely to consume stuff that doesn't fit their tastes perfectly.
My observations have been that MAL scores tend to fall between 5 and 9 for most shows, and scores are positively correlated with both popularity and recentness. Older shows tend to be both more obscure and lower-rated.

BTW if you're interested in intriguing stats stuff, there's also this: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7tkra3/finding_the_most_and_least_polarizing_anime_on_mal/
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 9, 2018 5:19 PM

Sep 2017
I don't think that <7 isn't that bad, cause there are few 'underrated' anime...
And besides the score came from the user's personal rating.
May 9, 2018 8:39 PM

Oct 2017
In my case I prefer to avoid them, I don't have much time to see. So I choose what is reasonably attractive to my tastes.
Even if I’m a fraud, I know my dream isn’t wrong...
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

25 by Toooooooooohru »»
1 minute ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

217 by Adnash »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

8 by Toooooooooohru »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

34 by Toooooooooohru »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

111 by girltokyo »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.