Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 18, 2018 10:36 AM

Feb 2015
AS a beautiful comment on anime states

This is pretty much a problem with Japanese media in general, not just anime. Lack subtlety isn't necessarily bad. When used for action or comedy it can makes things more ridiculous and fun, and sometimes things become so ridiculously over the top to the point of being subtle (ever notice how dead man wonderland, is actually a really dark deconstruction of anime tropes, and violence in our media? No? Exactly my point) however when anime attempts drama and suspense it tends to do so, in a very ungraceful fashion. Usually by beating the point over your skull. Having roaring violin music as are young hero screams in the rain "ooooonnnnnnniiiiiii-samaaaaaaaa" as everyone cries in the background, practically coming with label "feel bad for this dude".

Why do you think anime goes over the top to express obvious emotions in their anime plot context? The most common case with such anime are in the love genre where the feelings are expression in the most obvious way but the main characters lack any if at all subtility. Why is this so common in anime? Is this Japanese culture?
Hello
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 18, 2018 10:41 AM

Oct 2014
teruu said:

This is pretty much a problem with Japanese media in general, not just anime. Lack subtlety isn't necessarily bad. When used for action or comedy it can makes things more ridiculous and fun, and sometimes things become so ridiculously over the top to the point of being subtle (ever notice how dead man wonderland, is actually a really dark deconstruction of anime tropes, and violence in our media? No? Exactly my point) however when anime attempts drama and suspense it tends to do so, in a very ungraceful fashion. Usually by beating the point over your skull. Having roaring violin music as are young hero screams in the rain "ooooonnnnnnniiiiiii-samaaaaaaaa" as everyone cries in the background, practically coming with label "feel bad for this dude".

Why do you think anime goes over the top to express obvious emotions in their anime plot context? The most common case with such anime are in the love genre where the feelings are expression in the most obvious way but the main characters lack any if at all subtility. Why is this so common in anime? Is this Japanese culture?

Animation series in General tend to be more expressive then tv shows.
And that is simply because they can.

Anime and etc revels in being unrealistic.
And yh Japanese culture is also a reason.
Mar 18, 2018 10:42 AM

Sep 2013
is it is japanese culture.
Japanese people usually tend to be reserved and are tought not to show their feelings really well, as I come from a japanese family myself ( not japanese myself tho ) I can tell.
I think anime do that to express themselfes in a diferent way that they don't do in real life, that's why is usually so overexagereted
Mar 18, 2018 10:43 AM

Jan 2018
I don't know what you are talking about, but there are plenty of anime that has subtly.

Take a look at Neon Genesis Evangelion. While some of it's themes are in your face, a lot of the actual scenes between the characters are very subtle. For example the first scene between Shinji and Rei. You see Shinji enter her room and look around and notices the mess that it is. We can infer from this that Rei herself is a mess without even seeing her yet. Then Rei comes into her room and does not react to Shinji seeing her in a towel, but does get angry to see him with Gendo's glasses. We can tell right away that Rei does not have proper boundaries, but she does clearly care about Gendo.

Other shows that have good subtly would be Psycho Pass, Elfen Lied, Attack On Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Your Lie In April, Nana, Toradora!, Noir, Gunslinger Girl, Kids On The Slope, Paradise Kiss, Re Zero, Wolf's Rain, Paranoid Agent, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suizmiya, Initial D , Sound Euphonium, K-ON! among others.

As for movies, Miyzaki, Shinkai, Hosada and Yamada are all about subtly. Simply watch A silent voice as it's got so many little things going on. Satsohi Kon was great at this as well. The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzimiaya was subtle genius.
Mar 18, 2018 10:45 AM

Feb 2015
Bourmegar said:
teruu said:

Being too expressive is overkill
While they can, they can also tend to improve it. You can notice that a lot of the top anime, although lack major quality in other aspects have their subtlility corrected. A good example would be Tokyo Ghoul with the exception of Kaneki who keeps going on and on about how he wants to be strong (it gets ridicolous obviously) but the anime fans keep hyping it up simply due to their unconditional love for Kaneki
Hello
Mar 18, 2018 10:45 AM

Oct 2013
Was that quote written around 2015 or something where everything had to be seen as a deconstruction to be slightly relevant in peoples's eyes and the term was thrown around at random at everything
Mar 18, 2018 10:46 AM

Feb 2015
Deknijff said:
Was that quote written around 2015 or something where everything had to be seen as a deconstruction to be slightly relevant in peoples's eyes and the term was thrown around at random at everything

No idea but you seem mad about it. Why?
Hello
Mar 18, 2018 10:49 AM
Oct 2017
StarSwoardsman said:
I don't know what you are talking about, but there are plenty of anime that has subtly.

Take a look at Neon Genesis Evangelion. While some of it's themes are in your face, a lot of the actual scenes between the characters are very subtle. For example the first scene between Shinji and Rei. You see Shinji enter her room and look around and notices the mess that it is. We can infer from this that Rei herself is a mess without even seeing her yet. Then Rei comes into her room and does not react to Shinji seeing her in a towel, but does get angry to see him with Gendo's glasses. We can tell right away that Rei does not have proper boundaries, but she does clearly care about Gendo.

Other shows that have good subtly would be Psycho Pass, Elfen Lied, Attack On Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Your Lie In April, Nana, Toradora!, Noir, Gunslinger Girl, Kids On The Slope, Paradise Kiss, Re Zero, Wolf's Rain, Paranoid Agent, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suizmiya, Initial D , Sound Euphonium, K-ON! among others.

As for movies, Miyzaki, Shinkai, Hosada and Yamada are all about subtly. Simply watch A silent voice as it's got so many little things going on. Satsohi Kon was great at this as well. The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzimiaya was subtle genius.

evangelion is hardly subtle, all of the characters' emotions are not only telegraphed clearly but repeatedly so
Mar 18, 2018 10:50 AM

Oct 2010
So is this another of your "why am I right please circlejerk me or don't post at all" threads?
Mar 18, 2018 10:51 AM

Jan 2018
bitchassdarius said:
StarSwoardsman said:

evangelion is hardly subtle, all of the characters' emotions are not only telegraphed clearly but repeatedly so

I did say that their themes are in your face and yes, the emotions can in fact be very theatrical. But, there is a ton of subtly in the character relating and the actual direction of the show. It's a really good mix that allows for the show to engaging while also be something worth looking at in an intellectual and emotional way IMO.

jal90 said:
So is this another of your "why am I right please circlejerk me or don't post at all" threads?
I was about to say.
Mar 18, 2018 10:52 AM

Oct 2013
teruu said:
Deknijff said:
No idea but you seem mad about it. Why?
oh no no no
Im not mad about it
but find it funny in hindsight
Mar 18, 2018 10:54 AM

Feb 2016
People want to watch screams and cries, not some pseudo-intellectual sophisticated bullshit.

Advice for anyone using the term "deconstruction" non-ironically: kys XD
Mar 18, 2018 11:01 AM
Oct 2017
StarSwoardsman said:
bitchassdarius said:

I did say that their themes are in your face and yes, the emotions can in fact be very theatrical. But, there is a ton of subtly in the character relating and the actual direction of the show. It's a really good mix that allows for the show to engaging while also be something worth looking at in an intellectual and emotional way IMO.

jal90 said:
I was about to say.

what i'm saying is those subtleties aren't actually subtle, more like it's information already ascertained that's beaten into the viewers
Mar 18, 2018 11:03 AM

Jun 2011
Animation as a medium requires greater expression. Sadamoto said it perfectly when he said why he felt drawing Shinji Ikari was the most difficult, and it was do to the subtly of his expressions. And he also said this is why he enjoys drawing female characters more.

Making a character have subtle, more realistic expressions is more difficult and less fun. It is really not a good use of the medium either.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 18, 2018 11:04 AM

Jan 2018
bitchassdarius said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I was about to say.

what i'm saying is those subtleties aren't actually subtle, more like it's information already ascertained that's beaten into the viewers

Not really. I'm not even sure you know the definition of subtly. Here it is for you:sub·tly
ˈsəd(ə)lē,ˈsətlē/
adverb
adverb: subtly
in a manner that is so delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze or describe.
"the script subtly shifts in tone from comedy to tragedy"
in a delicately complex and understated way.
"a subtly flavored dessert"
in a clever and indirect way, in order to achieve something.
"he would prattle on about something else for a while before subtly raising the question again"

Evangelion definetely fits the definiton.

Energetic-Nova said:
Animation as a medium requires greater expression. Sadamoto said it perfectly when he said why he felt drawing Shinji Ikari was the most difficult, and it was do to the subtly of his expressions. And he also said this is why he enjoys drawing female characters more.

Making a character have subtle, more realistic expressions is more difficult and less fun. It is really not a good use of the medium either.

There is more to subtly than just character expression. But either way, I disagree that more realistic expressions are less fun. If you go all the way back to the jungle book that was when Disney was really getting to realism that movie's animation still stands due to the realsitc movement in it.

Hayao Miyaki in his book, starting point spoke about this. His goal is to get his characters to feel as human as possible. To move like humans, to make their faces liek humans. Sure, a big expression can be good for comedic effect. But, the best directors can be subtle with this when need be.
StarSwoardsmanMar 18, 2018 11:08 AM
Mar 18, 2018 11:08 AM
Oct 2017
StarSwoardsman said:
bitchassdarius said:

Not really. I'm not even sure you know the definition of subtly. Here it is for you:sub·tly
ˈsəd(ə)lē,ˈsətlē/
adverb
in a manner that is so delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze or describe.
"he would prattle on about something else for a while before subtly raising the question again"

yes really, the scene you described isn't subtle, that's just basic character work. "show not tell" is the standard, most people don't consider very standard writing to be "subtle." there's a difference between handfeeding information and being obvious
additionally, multiple scenes of shinji talking about his worthlessness through the whole show is pretty much the opposite of subtle. as a point of comparison, think of all the different ways you could depict shinji's self-hatred without him outright talking about it. the show's not subtle at all
Mar 18, 2018 11:09 AM

Jan 2018
bitchassdarius said:
StarSwoardsman said:

ˈsəd(ə)lē,ˈsətlē/
adverb

yes really, the scene you described isn't subtle, that's just basic character work. "show not tell" is the standard, most people don't consider very standard writing to be "subtle"
additionally, multiple scenes of shinji talking about his worthlessness through the whole show is pretty much the opposite of subtle. as a point of comparison, think of all the different ways you could depict shinji's self-hatred without him outright talking about it. the show's not subtle at all

If you read that defintion then the scene that I stated fits the second definition. We had never met Rei and knew nothing about her. But, we learn about her in an indirect way.

Do you read bro? I already said that the show can be pretty on the nose. It's like you ignore what the other person says and just want to be right. Geez, don't respond to me again.
Mar 18, 2018 11:10 AM
Oct 2017
StarSwoardsman said:
bitchassdarius said:

yes really, the scene you described isn't subtle, that's just basic character work. "show not tell" is the standard, most people don't consider very standard writing to be "subtle"

If you read that defintion then the scene that I stated fits the second definition. We had never met Rei and knew nothing about her. But, we learn about her in an indirect way.

Do you read bro? I already said that the show can be pretty on the nose. It's like you ignore what the other person says and just want to be right. Geez, don't respond to me again.

i'm going to post this again since i edited it in my last post
there's a difference between handfeeding information and being obvious
you must be a shit writer if you're married to textbook definitions, you should probably give up the pen
bitchassdariusMar 18, 2018 11:18 AM
Mar 18, 2018 11:11 AM

Apr 2016
teruu said:
The most common case with such anime are in the love genre where the feelings are expression in the most obvious way but the main characters lack any if at all subtility. Why is this so common in anime? Is this Japanese culture?

No OP, male main characters in (most) romance anime are dumb as shit. That's the difference.
Mar 18, 2018 11:14 AM
Jun 2017
well, 90% of anime, or any media for that matter, is shit anyway
just pick the show you watch and you can have subtlety all day everyday.

Mar 18, 2018 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
While you guy are at it

what's an example animes that has a lot of subtlety?
Mar 18, 2018 11:18 AM

Oct 2014
teruu said:
Bourmegar said:

Being too expressive is overkill
While they can, they can also tend to improve it. You can notice that a lot of the top anime, although lack major quality in other aspects have their subtlility corrected. A good example would be Tokyo Ghoul with the exception of Kaneki who keeps going on and on about how he wants to be strong (it gets ridicolous obviously) but the anime fans keep hyping it up simply due to their unconditional love for Kaneki

Most of the whole overexpressiveness had to do with how unable they were at being subtile in the past.
Because of limitations, it was hard to produce subtile works that could be taken seriously.
Now on the other hand, Anime has the tools for it but still decides to do what the watchers mostly loved, which is being over the top.

Shouwa Genroku rakugo shinjuu has a lot of subtilty going on. Could it be taken seriously in the past?
Mar 18, 2018 11:20 AM

Feb 2018
Making such a statement while referring to an entire medium of entertainment is simply wrong and many anime simply have their characters overreact etc because unlike tv shows with real actors they can and it's and easy way to express emotions or to make a joke but if you don't like that type of anime I can assure you there are enough series out there witch align with your tastes.
Mar 18, 2018 11:21 AM

Jun 2011
bitchassdarius said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I was about to say.

So I am going to give you an example of a subtle expression Shinji makes.

or

^^^
yeah I used rebuilds bite me.

Sadamoto says Asuka is way more fun to draw.

Everything about how Asuka moves and how she has long hair, makes her more fun to draw.

Vs. Shinji who is difficult to not make look like he belongs in the background somewhere...

Asuka is more traditionally what anime characters were. And emotes similarly to a lot of characters made around that time. But Shinji does not. He emotes more like a 70's space opera character.
Mar 18, 2018 11:23 AM

Jan 2018
gopivot said:
While you guy are at it

what's an example animes that has a lot of subtlety?

I mentioned a few but,

When Evangelion isn't in your face it's actually filled with subtle moments.

Anything directed by Shinichirio Wantanbe (Cowboy Bebop, Kids On The Slope, Terror In Resonance, Samurai Champloo to a certain Extent).

Studio Ghibli films.

Makoto Shinaki films.

Marmou Hosada Films

Anything by Naoko Yamada (A silent Voice, K-On!!)

Satoshi Kon's films

Psycho Pass

Attack On Titan outside of it's bombastic fights

Your Lie In April when there isnt any hyper tension

The Melancholy Of Harui Suzimiaya and The Disappearence of Haruhi Suzimiaya. The disappearence is a masterpeice of subtly.

The character development in Toradora!

Noir.

Gunslinger Girl.

Wolf's Rain.

Inital D.

Re Zero.

Sound Euphonium (very nice subtle character animation).
Mar 18, 2018 11:25 AM

Jan 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
bitchassdarius said:

or

^^^

Everything about how Asuka moves and how she has long hair, makes her more fun to draw.

Vs. Shinji who is difficult to not make look like he belongs in the background somewhere...

Asuka is more traditionally what anime characters were. And emotes similarly to a lot of characters made around that time. But Shinji does not. He emotes more like a 70's space opera character.

Very good examples. And it fits both of their characters to a tee. Shinji is a depressive guy with avoidant personality disorder. Asuka clearly has borderline personality disorder and enjoys to put herself out there. Great character animation and direction.
Mar 18, 2018 11:26 AM

Jun 2011
StarSwoardsman said:
Energetic-Nova said:

or

^^^

Very good examples. And it fits both of their characters to a tee. Shinji is a depressive guy with avoidant personality disorder. Asuka clearly has borderline personality disorder and enjoys to put herself out there. Great character animation and direction.

I feel Shinji is more like.... Cloister syndrome.... (autistic).... Asuka is just a bitchy 14 year old who reminds me of... my sister.

I am autistic.... My sister is.... a bitch. She felt threatened when I did anything right. Oh and Shinji smiles a lot... even makes jokes. He has a dry sense of humor people don't understand.... he feels misunderstood. I identify with that sort of thing, as should most old-school anime fans.
Mar 18, 2018 11:27 AM
Oct 2017
Energetic-Nova said:
bitchassdarius said:

or

^^^

that's not subtle, just downcast because shinji is generally depressed. faces generally can't have subtle emotions because faces are meant to be read. if you're looking for subtle expression, you should've provided examples of body movement, which we tend to use to express more subtle emotions. that's why reading body language is harder than reading someone's face
Mar 18, 2018 11:31 AM

Jun 2011
bitchassdarius said:
Energetic-Nova said:

or

^^^

that's not subtle, just downcast because shinji is generally depressed. faces generally can't have subtle emotions because faces are meant to be read. if you're looking for subtle expression, you should've provided examples of body movement, which we tend to use to express more subtle emotions. that's why reading body language is harder than reading someone's face

OK. :)

Pulls hand away from Misato.

Allows contact with Kaworu just a few episodes later.

Sadly the 15 minutes of Kaworu are so misunderstood people have fought about it for 20 years so. XD
Mar 18, 2018 11:33 AM

Jan 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I feel Shinji is more like.... Cloister syndrome.... (autistic).... Asuka is just a bitchy 14 year old who reminds me of... my sister.

I am autistic.... My sister is.... a bitch. She felt threatened when I did anything right.

While all men are autistic to a certain extent (the male brain is basically the female brain on autism), Shinji isn't autistic because he can truly empathize with others and feel their pain. He is the most emotional character in the series by far.

Asuka very much has borderline personality disorder. As someone who has done a great deal of research on borderline personality disorder (which is hard to delve into due to it's complex nature) she fits it to a tee. Anno did an amazing job or showcasing what a true borderline personality girl is like.

These are the traits of someone who has borderline personality disorder:
Fear of abandonment. People with BPD are often terrified of being abandoned or left alone. Even something as innocuous as a loved one getting home late from work or going away for the weekend can trigger intense fear. This leads to frantic efforts to keep the other person close. You may beg, cling, start fights, jealously track your loved one’s movements, or even physically block the other person from leaving. Unfortunately, this behavior tends to have the opposite effect—driving others away.
Unstable relationships. People with BPD tend to have relationships that are intense and short-lived. You may fall in love quickly, believing each new person is the one who will make you feel whole, only to be quickly disappointed. Your relationships either seem perfect or horrible, with nothing in between. Your lovers, friends, or family members may feel like they have emotional whiplash from your rapid swings between idealization and devaluation, anger, and hate.
Unclear or unstable self-image. When you have BPD, your sense of self is typically unstable. Sometimes you may feel good about yourself, but other times you hate yourself, or even view yourself as evil. You probably don’t have a clear idea of who you are or what you want in life. As a result, you may frequently change jobs, friends, lovers, religion, values, goals, and even sexual identity.
Impulsive, self-destructive behaviors. If you have BPD, you may engage in harmful, sensation-seeking behaviors, especially when you’re upset. You may impulsively spend money you can’t afford, binge eat, drive recklessly, shoplift, engage in risky sex, or overdo it with drugs or alcohol. These risky behaviors may help you feel better in the moment, but they hurt you and those around you over the long-term.
Self-harm. Suicidal behavior and deliberate self-harm is common in people with BPD. Suicidal behavior includes thinking about suicide, making suicidal gestures or threats, or actually carrying out a suicide attempt. Self-harm includes all other attempts to hurt yourself without suicidal intent. Common forms of self-harm include cutting and burning.
Extreme emotional swings. Unstable emotions and moods are common with BPD. One moment, you may feel happy, and the next, despondent. Little things that other people brush off can send you into an emotional tailspin. These mood swings are intense, but they tend to pass fairly quickly (unlike the emotional swings of depression or bipolar disorder), usually lasting just a few minutes or hours.
Chronic feelings of emptiness. People with BPD often talk about feeling empty, as if there’s a hole or a void inside them. At the extreme, you may feel as if you’re “nothing” or “nobody.” This feeling is uncomfortable, so you may try to fill the hole with things like drugs, food, or sex. But nothing feels truly satisfying.
Explosive anger. If you have BPD, you may struggle with intense anger and a short temper. You may also have trouble controlling yourself once the fuse is lit—yelling, throwing things, or becoming completely consumed by rage. It’s important to note that this anger isn’t always directed outwards. You may spend a lot of time being angry at yourself.
Feeling suspicious or out of touch with reality. People with BPD often struggle with paranoia or suspicious thoughts about others’ motives. When under stress, you may even lose touch with reality—an experience known as dissociation. You may feel foggy, spaced out, or as if you’re outside your own body.

That's basically also Asuka's character traits LOL. She herself might be autistic too. She can't seem to really empahize with anyone.
Mar 18, 2018 11:34 AM
Oct 2017
Energetic-Nova said:
bitchassdarius said:

see, these are good examples, but you can't provide them without the context of the scenes that they're in, and if you know the scenes, the information conveyed is redundant, as they're enacted by archetypes whose motives can be read down the line. so, yes, subtle in examination, but not subtle in practice
Mar 18, 2018 11:35 AM

Jun 2011
StarSwoardsman said:
Energetic-Nova said:

I am autistic.... My sister is.... a bitch. She felt threatened when I did anything right.

While all men are autistic to a certain extent (the male brain is basically the female brain on autism), Shinji isn't autistic because he can truly empathize with others and feel their pain. He is the most emotional character in the series by far.

Asuka very much has borderline personality disorder. As someone who has done a great deal of research on borderline personality disorder (which is hard to delve into due to it's complex nature) she fits it to a tee. Anno did an amazing job or showcasing what a true borderline personality girl is like.

Fear of abandonment. People with BPD are often terrified of being abandoned or left alone. Even something as innocuous as a loved one getting home late from work or going away for the weekend can trigger intense fear. This leads to frantic efforts to keep the other person close. You may beg, cling, start fights, jealously track your loved one’s movements, or even physically block the other person from leaving. Unfortunately, this behavior tends to have the opposite effect—driving others away.
Unstable relationships. People with BPD tend to have relationships that are intense and short-lived. You may fall in love quickly, believing each new person is the one who will make you feel whole, only to be quickly disappointed. Your relationships either seem perfect or horrible, with nothing in between. Your lovers, friends, or family members may feel like they have emotional whiplash from your rapid swings between idealization and devaluation, anger, and hate.
Unclear or unstable self-image. When you have BPD, your sense of self is typically unstable. Sometimes you may feel good about yourself, but other times you hate yourself, or even view yourself as evil. You probably don’t have a clear idea of who you are or what you want in life. As a result, you may frequently change jobs, friends, lovers, religion, values, goals, and even sexual identity.
Impulsive, self-destructive behaviors. If you have BPD, you may engage in harmful, sensation-seeking behaviors, especially when you’re upset. You may impulsively spend money you can’t afford, binge eat, drive recklessly, shoplift, engage in risky sex, or overdo it with drugs or alcohol. These risky behaviors may help you feel better in the moment, but they hurt you and those around you over the long-term.
Self-harm. Suicidal behavior and deliberate self-harm is common in people with BPD. Suicidal behavior includes thinking about suicide, making suicidal gestures or threats, or actually carrying out a suicide attempt. Self-harm includes all other attempts to hurt yourself without suicidal intent. Common forms of self-harm include cutting and burning.
Extreme emotional swings. Unstable emotions and moods are common with BPD. One moment, you may feel happy, and the next, despondent. Little things that other people brush off can send you into an emotional tailspin. These mood swings are intense, but they tend to pass fairly quickly (unlike the emotional swings of depression or bipolar disorder), usually lasting just a few minutes or hours.
Chronic feelings of emptiness. People with BPD often talk about feeling empty, as if there’s a hole or a void inside them. At the extreme, you may feel as if you’re “nothing” or “nobody.” This feeling is uncomfortable, so you may try to fill the hole with things like drugs, food, or sex. But nothing feels truly satisfying.
Explosive anger. If you have BPD, you may struggle with intense anger and a short temper. You may also have trouble controlling yourself once the fuse is lit—yelling, throwing things, or becoming completely consumed by rage. It’s important to note that this anger isn’t always directed outwards. You may spend a lot of time being angry at yourself.
Feeling suspicious or out of touch with reality. People with BPD often struggle with paranoia or suspicious thoughts about others’ motives. When under stress, you may even lose touch with reality—an experience known as dissociation. You may feel foggy, spaced out, or as if you’re outside your own body.

That's basically also Asuka's character traits LOL. She herself might be autistic too. She can't seem to really empahize with anyone.

Ask anyone in the autistic community. If anything, we feel too much. We feel so much we become numb again. Outbursts come from frustration and people misunderstanding all the time or treating us bad.

Autistic community always identifies with either Rei, Shinji, or Kaworu. I was misdiagnosed with bipolar for a LONG time. I have Autism and ADHD with Tourettes. I was also at one time misdiagnosed with Borderline. That is just how wrong they had it. I am on aDHD meds now, and I am no longer suicidal for the first time in 20 years...

I talked about a void inside for a long time. I talked about the cloudiness I felt in my head... and how I would have outbursts and I hated it.... and I talked about how someitmes I am so happy and talketive and other times I don't even want to move out of bed. But ADHD and autism both have mood swing elements to them.

Shinji has, as far as I can tell, exactly one thing he feels passionate about. Music. Everything else could go away. He liked video games from his music choice. ^.^;
Energetic-NovaMar 18, 2018 11:42 AM
Mar 18, 2018 11:37 AM

Dec 2013
I suspect what you're referring to is an idiosyncracy that's endemic to Asian performing arts in general. I wonder too about Rakugo's influence. But if you think anime is unrestrained in its portrayal of emotion, just take a peek into kdrama lol. In their case it's more of a reflection of their actual conversation style, but I digress. I wouldn't argue that Japanese media seems to make use of very quirky dialogue at times, but viewed through an Eastern lens, so do we Americans, I suspect.
DouluoMar 18, 2018 11:46 AM
Mar 18, 2018 11:38 AM

Jan 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
StarSwoardsman said:

Ask anyone in the autistic community. If anything, we feel too much. We feel so much we become numb again. Outbursts come from frustration and people misunderstanding all the time or treating us bad.

Autistic community always identifies with either Rei, Shinji, or Kaworu. I was misdiagnosed with bipolar for a LONG time. I have Autism and ADHD with Tourettes.

Now shows signs of autism. But, she actually has schizophrenia, far worse than autism.

Why Kaworu? He didn't really come across as autistic to me.
Mar 18, 2018 11:52 AM

Jun 2011
bitchassdarius said:
Energetic-Nova said:

see, these are good examples, but you can't provide them without the context of the scenes that they're in, and if you know the scenes, the information conveyed is redundant, as they're enacted by archetypes whose motives can be read down the line. so, yes, subtle in examination, but not subtle in practice

Kaworu was talking about philosophy.

Misato was trying to comfort Shinji very directly.... >.>

Kaworu was jut talking about stuff that interests him, and wasn't being very direct until
Which, people argue about endlessly what he meant by that.... and I am like... pretty sure when a man says to another man while they are naked....

But then again, many anime fans have never even gotten so far as to have their hand touched by someone else so eh.
Mar 18, 2018 11:54 AM

Jan 2018
Energetic-Nova said:

But then again, many anime fans have never even gotten so far as to have their hand touched by someone else so eh.

Bingo. Nail has been sufficently hit.
Mar 18, 2018 11:57 AM

Jun 2011
StarSwoardsman said:
Energetic-Nova said:

I am autistic.... My sister is.... a bitch. She felt threatened when I did anything right.[/quote]

[/quote]

Autistic community always identifies with either Rei, Shinji, or Kaworu. I was misdiagnosed with bipolar for a LONG time. I have Autism and ADHD with Tourettes. [/quote]
Now shows signs of autism. But, she actually has schizophrenia, far worse than autism.

Why Kaworu? He didn't really come across as autistic to me.[/quote]

It is because he talks endlessly about his special interest and he isn't really "of this world" and his alien attitude + making other people feel comfortable just by being himself and not caring what others think. Some autistics are more like this.

Also in the manga.... Kaworu is... more oblivious and behaves even more out of the norm. He is probably the least subtle character ever. He honestly makes me laugh with how creepy he is. I was actually pretty creepy and deprived of humans when I was 14 too.

I think it comes down to which temperament you have, I am a little more explosive and emotional, so I identify with Shinji. My friend identifies with Rei and Kaworu both but more because he was in an institution for a long time... Feeling like some awful science experiment is common in the autistic community.
Energetic-NovaMar 18, 2018 12:01 PM
Mar 18, 2018 11:57 AM
Oct 2017
Energetic-Nova said:
bitchassdarius said:

Kaworu was jut talking about stuff that interests him, and wasn't being very direct until
Which, people argue about endlessly what he meant by that.... and I am like... pretty sure when a man says to another man while they are naked....

kaworu is probably the most interesting character in evangelion, but he's also basically only in one episode, so i would hardly call him a representation of the whole show's writing
Mar 18, 2018 12:02 PM
Oct 2017
StarSwoardsman said:
Energetic-Nova said:

i like how you let someone else do your work for you and you can't even come up with your own insults. hop off his dick bro, it's unbecoming
Mar 18, 2018 12:04 PM

Jan 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
StarSwoardsman said:

[/quote]

Autistic community always identifies with either Rei, Shinji, or Kaworu. I was misdiagnosed with bipolar for a LONG time. I have Autism and ADHD with Tourettes. [/quote]

It is because he talks endlessly about his special interest and he isn't really "of this world" and his alien attitude + making other people feel comfortable just by being himself and not caring what others think.

Also in the manga.... Kaworu is... more oblivious and behaves even more out of the norm. He is probably the least subtle character ever. He honestly makes me laugh with how creepy he is. I was actually pretty creepy and deprived of humans when I was 14 too. [/quote]
Hmm, I could see that. I guess I've been more focused on him being an angel and whether or not he was a villain or good guy haha. But he does portray some autistic personality traits. Though, I would argue that he sees to understand human connection pretty well for an autist.

He is VERY creepy. He reminds me one of those guys that preys on confused young boys. Which is what he does to Shinji.
Mar 18, 2018 12:04 PM

Jun 2011
bitchassdarius said:
Energetic-Nova said:

kaworu is probably the most interesting character in evangelion, but he's also basically only in one episode, so i would hardly call him a representation of the whole show's writing

The manga he is around more. 3 volumes if I remember right. He is very different in the manga though. But his purpose is much the same even if done in a diff way.
Mar 18, 2018 12:05 PM

Jan 2018
bitchassdarius said:
StarSwoardsman said:

i like how you let someone else do your work for you and you can't even come up with your own insults. hop off his dick bro, it's unbecoming

What guy? Energetic is a woman.'

And, I don't find you fun to talk to which is why I stopped. You are too myopic for me to debate with you. She's a lot nicer than me so she'll be patient with you. But, you bored me to quickly. You can work on that though.
Mar 18, 2018 12:06 PM

Jun 2011
StarSwoardsman said:
Energetic-Nova said:

It is because he talks endlessly about his special interest and he isn't really "of this world" and his alien attitude + making other people feel comfortable just by being himself and not caring what others think.

Also in the manga.... Kaworu is... more oblivious and behaves even more out of the norm. He is probably the least subtle character ever. He honestly makes me laugh with how creepy he is. I was actually pretty creepy and deprived of humans when I was 14 too. [/quote]
Hmm, I could see that. I guess I've been more focused on him being an angel and whether or not he was a villain or good guy haha. But he does portray some autistic personality traits. Though, I would argue that he sees to understand human connection pretty well for an autist.

He is VERY creepy. He reminds me one of those guys that preys on confused young boys. Which is what he does to Shinji.[/quote]

A lot of autistics actually study Neurotypicals . Tilt their head but get really into philosophy as a way to cope with not actually understanding anyone.

Shinji even straight up says he doesn't understand people and thinks it is impossible.
The way Shinji just CLICKS with Kaworu-kun is a lot like how autistics feel when they feel understood finally.... like finally someone knows what I want, and someone can read my emotions...

When autistics get together it is pretty interesting. Two totally different topics going on at the same time is pretty common. With no questions. XD
Mar 18, 2018 12:08 PM
Oct 2017
StarSwoardsman said:
bitchassdarius said:

And, I don't find you fun to talk to which is why I stopped. You are too myopic for me to debate with you. She's a lot nicer than me so she'll be patient with you. But, you bored me to quickly. You can work on that though.

you disengaged because you couldn't properly explain yourself so you resorted to textbook definitions, which is the most mundane way to argue. then you sat there lapping up energetic's work, effectively engaging in the same debate without inserting your ego into it. call me whatever you want, at least i'm not rhetorically vapid
Mar 18, 2018 12:09 PM

Jan 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
StarSwoardsman said:

Autistic community always identifies with either Rei, Shinji, or Kaworu. I was misdiagnosed with bipolar for a LONG time. I have Autism and ADHD with Tourettes.

He is VERY creepy. He reminds me one of those guys that preys on confused young boys. Which is what he does to Shinji.[/quote]

A lot of autistics actually study Neurotypicals . Tilt their head but get really into philosophy as a way to cope with not actually understanding anyone.

Shinji even straight up says he doesn't understand people and thinks it is impossible.
[/quote]
That makes sense. And remember at the end of the series when we go into Shinji's head he understands that who he thinks he is isn't him. This is basically spiritual enlightenment and the deepest topic ever, but he realizes that all the thoughts that he had about himself isn't who he really is.

He basically projected all of that onto himself. But, he does actually understand people, can feel their pain. He was just too scared of what others thought.
Mar 18, 2018 12:11 PM

Jan 2018
bitchassdarius said:
StarSwoardsman said:

you disengaged because you couldn't properly explain yourself so you resorted to textbook definitions, which is the most mundane way to argue. then you sat there lapping up energetic's work, effectively engaging in the same debate without inserting your ego into it. call me whatever you want, at least i'm not rhetorically vapid

Whatever makes you feel better man. I've had some good discussions with people who don't agree with me on here and you are not one of them. Wisdom is a factor though.
Mar 18, 2018 12:12 PM

May 2009
Anime tends to be exaggerative/absurdist when it comes to comedy, so if you're looking for more subtle stuff, try drama series.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 18, 2018 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
Miyazaki said it best. It's incredibly short:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131872-Hayao-Miyazaki-Anime-Suffers-Because-the-Industry-is-Full-of-Otaku

I can tell that 99% of the anime I've seen, none of the characters were created on the basis of the author observing actual people, but rather, the basis has always been what everyone else has done.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Anime tends to be exaggerative/absurdist when it comes to comedy, so if you're looking for more subtle stuff, try drama series.

>Drama anime
>Subtle

What?
Mar 18, 2018 12:14 PM
Oct 2017
StarSwoardsman said:
bitchassdarius said:

Whatever makes you feel better man. I've had some good discussions with people who don't agree with me on here and you are not one of them. Wisdom is a factor though.

yeah i'm sure your discussions are as fulfilling as talking to a college freshman about how great fight club is lol
Mar 18, 2018 12:16 PM

Jan 2018
NihilisticLoner said:
Miyazaki said it best. It's incredibly short:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131872-Hayao-Miyazaki-Anime-Suffers-Because-the-Industry-is-Full-of-Otaku

I can tell that 99% of the anime I've seen, none of the characters were created on the basis of the author observing actual people, but rather, the basis has always been what everyone else has done.

GlennMagusHarvey said:

>Drama anime
>Subtle

What?

Miyazaki is clearly talking about a cetain type of anime. There are plenty of shows and movies that don't fit that criteria. With Shinkai, Hosada, his boy Anno, Wanatabe and Yamada still making films and shows among other creators there will be more good, human characters to come
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 26 minutes ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - Today

49 by Deknijff »»
5 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by omorashi »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.