Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 5, 2018 9:47 AM

Jan 2015
First of all, it baffles me how does the LN won any award at all. What do people even thing about? It even ranked higher than ReZero... (not saying that Re:Zero is masterpiece, but it still has more going for it that this).

Anyway, first the characters. Oh man, I almost hate all of them. Like how much of a wimp main character can get? It's like his entire purpose in the series is to be pushed by all the female characters. All the new female characters introduced are there to do the same.

Then the lolis. I do not have much problem with them actually. The only thing that doesn't sit with me is that they play shogi so well at their age. But then again, I don't know much about shogi.

The "sister"... oh man, I probably hate her the most. I don't know what her backstory is, but the treatment she gives to MC is just painful to watch. It's like that is her only character trait. I can also include the new yandere character here, who has almost same purpose as her.

The story. I have heard that this series represents shogi world very realistically, but I can't believe real shogi world is like that (the point I made in "loli" section applies here). I subconsciously compare this and Sangatsu and the only thing I see is how this is much worse than it.

Maybe I fail to see something here, but for now, I can barely give this 5/10, which is lowest of the low for me. I would already drop it, but I haven't dropped anything and don't plan to yet.
Mar 5, 2018 9:49 AM

Apr 2016
Dude this series/LN is basically like Eromanga-sensei, but with shogi.
Mar 5, 2018 9:58 AM

Jan 2015
Swagernator said:

And that's why I don't understand how it won anything, but probably I shouldn't be surprised by Japan at this point.
Mar 5, 2018 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
I can give up points when it comes to this given that there's some parts that ticked me off in this.

1. Wouldn't this be at fault of the adaption rather than the source? I mean as far as the source goes, it won many awards I believe mainly how it tackles shogi in the games. Of course granted I don't know the said context of the shogi in the LN but I'm basing it out of an assumption.

2. Given that Japan loves shogi of course, well. They would rank it very high. The same can be said when we have our different preferences when it comes to narrative... different strokes, different people.

3. In the part of the realism regarding on shogi, of course granted yes the characters in there would be weird at best because they're young... but GIVEN that I can argue that how Japan works when it comes to a profession, they teach kids at a young age to prepare for these type of stuff. It doesn't even have to be a profession, even for something like a little contest would go like this.

I believe Japan does this when it comes to how they teach kids at a young age.

4. I think everything of course is more on your end rather than a general thing but I understand where you're coming from. You just can't buy it even if it is portrayed.

Granted I think the only comparison Sangatsu and Oshigoto can be made is regarding on shogi, and nothing else. Because Sangatsu focuses more on the character driven narration + the sub-plot dramas at the current moment where as Oshigoto mainly focuses on the actual shogi game.

While this is a contradiction I would like to point out this is one of the reasons why I didn't liked Sangatsu as much until later on. The shogi aspect of the show is the weakest part given that it doesn't give me ANY interest to give a damn fuck about how the game works in itself, unlike Oshigoto that does that to where it actually intrigues me. It wasn't until later on in the show where I was invested to some certain degree in it, and even then its still an issue that detracts my perspective on the series.

But that's what I'll say about it, while I do understand some of the complaints, some others well... don't really add up. Maybe its more from a cultural sense at some parts, and giving my two cents on the comparison a bit while adding my fair share of complaints in Sangatsu.

Don't get me wrong I like both but I did wanted to give my two cents given that you gave yours regarding on Oshigoto, but that's it.
Mar 5, 2018 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
begija said:
Swagernator said:

And that's why I don't understand how it won anything, but probably I shouldn't be surprised by Japan at this point.

Actually, funny enough the author was inspired by the infamous LN called Haganai.

You know, the show that got people absolutely salty at the final volume? xD
Mar 5, 2018 11:59 AM

Sep 2016
I hope japan declare this the best light novel ln 2018, just to see how salty people can get
Mar 5, 2018 12:10 PM

Jan 2015
I Soooooooooooooooooooooo much agree with everthing, but you didnt mention Iko being obnoxious. And you didnt mention Best mother of 2018 and you didnt mention beta father who cant say anything back to his wife :v and you didnt mention constant KOU KOU KOU and you didnt mention that all girls think they possess MC, girls he is not your possession, let him live his life >_< and finally you didnt mention the most important thing(maybe thats why its so popular) every episode has a "harem time" and mostly it takes the most amount of screentime.
Also i feel that author of this mastepiece has the same personality as MC, its just my gut that tells me, i feel like that's how author of THIS would look like.
Mar 5, 2018 12:10 PM

Jan 2015
thriach said:
I hope japan declare this the best light novel ln 2018, just to see how salty people can get

Nothing will surprise me anymore.
Mar 5, 2018 12:13 PM

Jan 2015
Hirugiku said:
I Soooooooooooooooooooooo much agree with everthing, but you didnt mention Iko being obnoxious. And you didnt mention Best mother of 2018 and you didnt mention beta father who cant say anything back to his wife :v and you didnt mention constant KOU KOU KOU and you didnt mention that all girls think they possess MC, girls he is not your possession, let him live his life >_< and finally you didnt mention the most important thing(maybe thats why its so popular) every episode has a "harem time" and mostly it takes the most amount of screentime.
Also i feel that author of this mastepiece has the same personality as MC, its just my gut that tells me, i feel like that's how author of THIS would look like.

I'm not sure if your reply is sacrasm or not, considering you gave the show a 10.
Mar 5, 2018 12:15 PM

Jan 2015
begija said:
Hirugiku said:

I'm not sure if your reply is sacrasm or not, considering you gave the show a 10.

those are my true feelings, smiley face
Mar 5, 2018 2:37 PM

May 2017
Wasshio said:

@begija
I think Wasshio explained enough, but I am going to add one more thing. To mention that these are popular trends in japan and editorial houses will go for what's popular in japan. So if otaku fans votes for it, it will become popular.

You all, including you @begija, are judging this series with the western mindset and are forgetting one little thing: These series? They are made in Japan and FOR Japan. You think they care what we westerner's opinions are? If Japan fandom supports and pays and like it, that's what it matters for them.
We might find it absurd, but that's how it works there.
And we are not even paying money to see these things either; so the only thing we can do is just drop and continue on because no matter what our opinion is; Japan wont care.
We should be giving thanks that at least we have something to see, because it would be easier for them to close the gate entirely, and believe me, they already had done it (some companies). We westerners only see 10% of what they market over there.
Mar 5, 2018 3:04 PM

May 2009
begija said:
First of all, it baffles me how does the LN won any award at all. What do people even thing about? It even ranked higher than ReZero... (not saying that Re:Zero is masterpiece, but it still has more going for it that this).

[...]

The story. I have heard that this series represents shogi world very realistically, but I can't believe real shogi world is like that (the point I made in "loli" section applies here). I subconsciously compare this and Sangatsu and the only thing I see is how this is much worse than it.

Because of how it is versed in shogi. There is a lot of references to professional shogi and so on. (Here is a blog where they pointed out the references of the first volume, for example.)

And there was the story of Sota Fujii which gave Ryuuou no Oshigoto a lot of advertisement.
Mar 5, 2018 3:07 PM

Jan 2018
the lolis make me cringe especially the main child.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Mar 5, 2018 3:08 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
you could've summed it up far quicker than that....

THEY

DON'T

LEWD

THE

LOLIS

or for the most part any other FINE ASS woman in this anime... although theres been odd sexy shot or scene, theres just not enough
Mar 5, 2018 3:41 PM
Jul 2018
RandomCritic said:
Wasshio said:

@begija
I think Wasshio explained enough, but I am going to add one more thing. To mention that these are popular trends in japan and editorial houses will go for what's popular in japan. So if otaku fans votes for it, it will become popular.

You all, including you @begija, are judging this series with the western mindset and are forgetting one little thing: These series? They are made in Japan and FOR Japan. You think they care what we westerner's opinions are? If Japan fandom supports and pays and like it, that's what it matters for them.
And we are not even paying money to see these things either; so the only thing we can do is just drop and continue on because no matter what our opinion is; Japan wont care.
We should be giving thanks that at least we have something to see, because it would be easier for them to close the gate entirely, and believe me, they already had done it (some companies). We westerners only see 10% of what they market over there.

I think this is well enough to support the argument. But well yeah, this series may as well be appealing for the Japanese mostly. It doesn't mean people outside of the country can't enjoy the series (I enjoyed it and I'm not even Japanese), but there's going to be a chance that the people outside of the country won't find this pleasing, thus having multiple complaints about it.

Heck Japan's system and laws works very different compared to every other country, and the point is that countries will have their ways of teachings as well as morality, laws/rules, school systems, and the list goes on.

It may be a complaint from a westerner's side which is fine. But let's not ignore that Japan may find it appealing due to how the series portrays itself or the way it handles shogi. Which is one of the main appeal of the series. Which, some of the complaints from OP's end is looking from a westerner's mindset (again, fine), but then questions as well how these things are handled in the show for Japan's perspective, and how could Japan accept these type of things in the industry.

And even then with the "realism" statement we can apply that not only with this, to take it a bit further we can apply it to any genre or any anime available at the stock, and how people will perceive and look at a series' narrative. Whatever series doesn't look realistic to you, it might be for others. Same in vise versa. At the end of the day, it's a matter of who is watching it and the experiences as well amongst those things. I'm just applying a bit towards everything to stretch it a bit.
Mar 5, 2018 11:07 PM

Jan 2015
Wasshio said:
RandomCritic said:

@begija

I think this is well enough to support the argument. But well yeah, this series may as well be appealing for the Japanese mostly. It doesn't mean people outside of the country can't enjoy the series (I enjoyed it and I'm not even Japanese), but there's going to be a chance that the people outside of the country won't find this pleasing, thus having multiple complaints about it.

Heck Japan's system and laws works very different compared to every other country, and the point is that countries will have their ways of teachings as well as morality, laws/rules, school systems, and the list goes on.

It may be a complaint from a westerner's side which is fine. But let's not ignore that Japan may find it appealing due to how the series portrays itself or the way it handles shogi. Which is one of the main appeal of the series. Which, some of the complaints from OP's end is looking from a westerner's mindset (again, fine), but then questions as well how these things are handled in the show for Japan's perspective, and how could Japan accept these type of things in the industry.

And even then with the "realism" statement we can apply that not only with this, to take it a bit further we can apply it to any genre or any anime available at the stock, and how people will perceive and look at a series' narrative. Whatever series doesn't look realistic to you, it might be for others. Same in vise versa. At the end of the day, it's a matter of who is watching it and the experiences as well amongst those things. I'm just applying a bit towards everything to stretch it a bit.

The shogi part is fine actually, as I said, I only can't believe child at the age of 9 can be this good at it. As for my complaints, I believe that nowadays, anime in Japan is not made solely for Japanese anymore, because they must have realised how profitable western market must be. Especially for this series, who apparently won some awards, I'm pretty sure author would be aware that there is market outside of Japan. It maybe just Japanese authors don't know what western market likes, which makes your points valid. Still, from western market perspective, my points also still stands.
Mar 6, 2018 1:37 AM

Jan 2013
No, this anime is definitely not realistic even in the slightest. Ai hasn't been playing very long and she can beat people miles ahead of her just by turning on an autism mode in her head? Totes realistic my duder. The MC also holds a title equal to the Meijin in importance despite not knowing how to use Ranging Rook effectively-- a massive weakness that would be exploited to hell and back if this were a realistic series.

Does it matter though? Probably not. The lolis are peak cuteness and the characters are all quite endearing in their own ways (yes, even Ginko.)
Mar 6, 2018 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
begija said:
Wasshio said:

The shogi part is fine actually, as I said, I only can't believe child at the age of 9 can be this good at it. As for my complaints, I believe that nowadays, anime in Japan is not made solely for Japanese anymore, because they must have realised how profitable western market must be. Especially for this series, who apparently won some awards, I'm pretty sure author would be aware that there is market outside of Japan. It maybe just Japanese authors don't know what western market likes, which makes your points valid. Still, from western market perspective, my points also still stands.

Well you do have a understandable point, seeing how anime has been more expandable outside of Japan, and sure they might make stuff outside of their stuff. Even though I have said the shows are mainly made in Japan so its understandable that they would have these type of stuff released. Still, I guess my problem was the way it was worded. So my apologies for that.

I mean... at least we have some shows that can have the target audience being outside of the country (and I'm pretty sure of that, its just a matter of digging).
Aug 30, 2018 4:20 PM

Aug 2014
TheRandomCritic said:

Lol, that is a straight up lie. I been to Japan for an extended period of time recently, there is nothing over there that isn't available for a consumer in the west. Sure there is novels and manga that haven't been translated to english because it isn't enough money in translating anything that isn't top grossing, but they are available for purchase in Japanese.

TheRandomCritic said:

You might not be paying to watch anything, but there are plenty of us that both was it at licensed sites and buy merchs. I wonder if that thought was spawned from the the act of you illegally watching it yourself.
Oct 23, 2018 7:04 AM
Jan 2018
Mcs win nearly every match, and rather than depicting the moves, we have learned unrealistic foul plays. What's worse is Meijin is not the player who gets easily beaten for four straight matches.
Mar 5, 2019 3:41 PM
Mar 2018
Well, has there ever been a TV show, where the main character does loose or is just at the receiving part of punishment? And I don't mean struggle, because this is just winning in progress, to build tension, interest and also waste time until the episode is over.
What I disliked is that this show hinted some romance again. Like, the tsundere/kuudere was struggling a lot and then the writers decided that they did the 101 of anime and make it unrequited love. So standard. So lame. But, the mediocrity really was a part of this show. The only catching, but boring part was the Sherlock Shogi segments. I wonder how the next shogi anime will be, at least this time it's about a european shogi-player in japan...
Sep 30, 2020 12:51 AM
Dec 2019
I don't know to explain this anime but you know I really confused with all of them. MC loli and many other. Well I see 3 gatsu no lion I know this anime really dark I think, but I see this anime play shogi easy win wtf man, you play so many years but you lose with loli for the first time hahahaha that so lol
But I give this anime 7

Because I like loli v:
Nov 17, 2020 3:32 AM

Oct 2018
begija said:

Anyway, first the characters. Oh man, I almost hate all of them. Like how much of a wimp main character can get? It's like his entire purpose in the series is to be pushed by all the female characters. All the new female characters introduced are there to do the same.

Then the lolis. I do not have much problem with them actually. The only thing that doesn't sit with me is that they play shogi so well at their age. But then again, I don't know much about shogi.

The "sister"... oh man, I probably hate her the most. I don't know what her backstory is, but the treatment she gives to MC is just painful to watch. It's like that is her only character trait. I can also include the new yandere character here, who has almost same purpose as her.

Maybe I fail to see something here, but for now, I can barely give this 5/10, which is lowest of the low for me. I would already drop it, but I haven't dropped anything and don't plan to yet.

I cannot help if you disliked the characters since that is your opinion. However, for some of your other points, I can help to clarify a bit.

The lolis playing so good is not too unbelievable. Just this year, Sota Fujii won the Kisei and Oi title to become one of the best in the world at the age of 17. If a real person can become one of the best at 17, it is not too far-fetched to believe that a ten-year-old might play it very well. None of the Ais have beaten the pros yet in an even match so it isn't like a random girl just came out of nowhere to obliterate every single pro.

Also, to how the LN won awards, I think it's because of the way it portrayed its characters and shogi as a whole. While the first few volumes are not too focused on the characters, I think the later ones handle then very well and develop them greatly. The anime had skipped a lot from the LN and cover the first few volumes so it's understandable why you would think the LNs are bad too, but as someone who read them, I found them to be very enjoyable.
AdizcoolNov 17, 2020 3:36 AM
Nov 17, 2020 9:20 PM

Jan 2015
Adizcool said:
begija said:

I cannot help if you disliked the characters since that is your opinion. However, for some of your other points, I can help to clarify a bit.

The lolis playing so good is not too unbelievable. Just this year, Sota Fujii won the Kisei and Oi title to become one of the best in the world at the age of 17. If a real person can become one of the best at 17, it is not too far-fetched to believe that a ten-year-old might play it very well. None of the Ais have beaten the pros yet in an even match so it isn't like a random girl just came out of nowhere to obliterate every single pro.

Also, to how the LN won awards, I think it's because of the way it portrayed its characters and shogi as a whole. While the first few volumes are not too focused on the characters, I think the later ones handle then very well and develop them greatly. The anime had skipped a lot from the LN and cover the first few volumes so it's understandable why you would think the LNs are bad too, but as someone who read them, I found them to be very enjoyable.

Ten year old winning is STILL too far fetched. Difference between 10 years old and 17 years old is too big. It's like comparing these kids to Rei Kiriyama (if you have seen Sangatsu). No way they are at his level.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2018

94 by basspig »»
Feb 27, 9:00 PM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2018

112 by WELLERM »»
Dec 16, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2018

68 by WELLERM »»

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2018

104 by WELLERM »»

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2018

65 by WELLERM »»
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.