Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 2, 2018 11:22 AM
Jan 2018
Midoriya is the best case of a bad main character from little progression to annoying traits. While watching MHA I was more focused on those around Midoriya and episode after episode I started to hate Midoriya. I watch subbed anime, since it's the far more superior type, and quickly got frustrated with the voice actor to the point where I lowered all standards and watched the dub only to realize it is worse.

He is basically a Gary Stu character. When he tries to do something and fails all the characters helps him and don't worry they got the power of friendship on their side so nothing can go wrong. There is no feeling of progression, yes he gets stronger and learns something new but it always ends the same way.

BTW if a guy called DodgeOffset shows up in the comments ignore cause he will try to make you join his cult of lies and deceit.
Mar 2, 2018 11:23 AM
Oct 2017
i watch shounens and my opinions matter!
Mar 2, 2018 11:29 AM

Sep 2015
I'm more interested in this guy called DodgeOffset than your argument about Deku being a bad character.

Nah, Deku is cool. Not as cool as Todoroki or All Might, but still cool.

Apr 2016
He's not bad, hes just battle shounen character.

Nov 2016
Is someone with Kirito in favs even allowed to make such a thread ?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 2, 2018 11:30 AM

Sep 2014
>he is a gary stu character
says the guy with fucking kirito in favs
ecks fucking dee

I don't think there's any point discussing main characters with you
midoriya might be bit annoying at times (his relationship wiht Bakugo) but he's miles above your copy paste isekai trash
Mar 2, 2018 11:30 AM

Dec 2017
He is Ok, but I prefer Todoroki or Bakugou. It's not Deku's fault he was born with no powers at all.
Mar 2, 2018 11:32 AM
May 2017
As others have pointed out, you're likely jealous that people actually like Midorya and point out the numerous flaws with Jesus-kun.
Mar 2, 2018 11:32 AM

Sep 2015
As someone who hasn't seen MHA yet, I am unbiased when I say thank you for your insight into it. However, the fanbase may disagree...
Mar 2, 2018 11:34 AM

Feb 2017
I think he is a very proper character for the kind he is, being born with no powers, being bullied, then accepted and trained under the wing of the best heroes there is with the responsibility to take it forward, he is a good character.

"All it took was an arm and a leg"
Mar 2, 2018 11:37 AM

Oct 2013
FMmatron said:
You could always look at it in a way that if the one saying it has Kirito in favs then the character they are critiquing must be pretty bad for them to notice it while not so for Kirito himself
Mar 2, 2018 11:38 AM

Feb 2016
Switcing between subs and dubs eh? They're quite different characters from what I've heard.

Mar 2, 2018 11:39 AM
Jan 2018
Its hard to seek attention when you forget whats going on in your own profile.
Mar 2, 2018 11:39 AM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

I think Midoriya is fine. He's simple but earnest, so it's kind of hard for me to really have much of an opinion, good or bad. I at least like how he tries really hard, but doesn't always win at the end, then tries to take those lessons to heart.
Mar 2, 2018 11:44 AM

Nov 2015
At least he tries. I geuss you haven't seen Mirai Nikki yet.
And you can just switch of the sound if it annoys you. Anime voices are always annoying.
⛥Something wicked this way comes.⛥
Mar 2, 2018 11:46 AM

Oct 2015
He's not a bad character. But I have to say the role he plays in most major plot arcs (I like to call it 'Deku Ex Machina') has become repetitive and annoying to me, to the point I've decided to take a long pause from the manga as of Volume 15/16.

Stepped out from the darkness I contained in me.
Released myself form the shackles I helped create.

I've got the power of life in my hands,
and I intend to keep it.

My life has meaning after all.

Mar 2, 2018 11:51 AM

Nov 2016
Deknijff said:
FMmatron said:
You could always look at it in a way that if the one saying it has Kirito in favs then the character they are critiquing must be pretty bad for them to notice it while not so for Kirito himself

Not saying that Deku is great or anything,but OP's points are ridiculous.

>doesn't like the voice actor
>calls him gary stu(which is far off)

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 2, 2018 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
Salokannel2 said:
I'm more interested in this guy called DodgeOffset than your argument about Deku being a bad character.

Nah, Deku is cool. Not as cool as Todoroki or All Might, but still cool.
how is all might cool? he is like the pinnacle of cringe

sashaanjo said:
He is Ok, but I prefer Todoroki or Bakugou. It's not Deku's fault he was born with no powers at all.
ur right it was the authors fault
Mar 15, 2018 10:14 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
What are you talking about
Deku is not a gary stu and he has noticable flaws
Mar 18, 2018 12:27 AM

Dec 2017
He's trash compared to Ippo, Naruto, Kirito(had something likeable), Jotaro, and etc. I agree, he's the worst character in the series. Bakugo is my favorite and Todoroki is just edgy.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Mar 19, 2018 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
SymetricDials said:

He is basically a Gary Stu character.

YOU LITERALLY HAVE KIRITO AS YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER.

Furthermore, I don't even think you know the definition of Gary Stu characters. Gary Stu characters are perfect people with very few flaws and easily self-insertable, kinda like, I don't know--KIRITO FROM SWORD ART ONLINE.

Midoriya is not a perfect flawless guy. He's shy, has a history of self-deprecation thanks to Bakugou, but his drive to be a hero is strong. Midoriya is determined and capable, and is kind-hearted. Kindness is not a self-insert quality. Gary Stu characters are wish-fulfillment characters, and Midoriya is NOT a wish-fulfillment character.
Mar 20, 2018 4:16 PM

Dec 2017
TornPaper said:
SymetricDials said:

He is basically a Gary Stu character.

Furthermore, I don't even think you know the definition of Gary Stu characters. Gary Stu characters are perfect people with very few flaws and easily self-insertable, kinda like, I don't know--KIRITO FROM SWORD ART ONLINE.

Midoriya is not a perfect flawless guy. He's shy, has a history of self-deprecation thanks to Bakugou, but his drive to be a hero is strong. Midoriya is determined and capable, and is kind-hearted. Kindness is not a self-insert quality. Gary Stu characters are wish-fulfillment characters, and Midoriya is NOT a wish-fulfillment character.
Midooriya is a shit character. He should've died instead of receiving a power.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Oct 17, 2019 5:20 AM
Oct 2019
Botan-Chan45 said:
TornPaper said:

Midooriya is a shit character. He should've died instead of receiving a power.

Considering the fact that you actually think Kirito has anything likeable, Ashita no Joe is disappointing, and that Todoroki is edgy when Bakugou is the one telling everyone to "die", tells me you think in opposites. Or your taste is actually that bad. If Deku is a shit character, then Kirito should have been aborted after the first episode. Your profile isn't helping your case either.
Oct 17, 2019 5:23 AM
Oct 2019
SymetricDials said:
Midoriya is the best case of a bad main character from little progression to annoying traits. While watching MHA I was more focused on those around Midoriya and episode after episode I started to hate Midoriya. I watch subbed anime, since it's the far more superior type, and quickly got frustrated with the voice actor to the point where I lowered all standards and watched the dub only to realize it is worse.

He is basically a Gary Stu character. When he tries to do something and fails all the characters helps him and don't worry they got the power of friendship on their side so nothing can go wrong. There is no feeling of progression, yes he gets stronger and learns something new but it always ends the same way.

BTW if a guy called DodgeOffset shows up in the comments ignore cause he will try to make you join his cult of lies and deceit.

>no progression
>admits to him getting stronger and learning new things
>has SAO and Motto To Love Ru as favourites
>Gender is "Non-Binary"

It makes sad that we're one day off from sharing the exact same birthday. I'm actually horrified.
Oct 29, 2019 2:17 AM

May 2016
Midoriya is the MC of shounen ever and that's a fact.

Snob revelead the truth to me and saved me from this terrible anime with god- awfull cast of morons~
Oct 29, 2019 6:33 AM

Feb 2019
Not really, as long as natsuo exists.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

436 by His0kaDevv »»
Apr 11, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

403 by Esu_Kei »»
Apr 10, 1:42 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

332 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 21, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

276 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 18, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

294 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 16, 8:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.