*I don't own ANY picture that I use. I pick all pictures from the internet. Obviously. (pfp: weibo @清景的温捌)* A still-alive Uchiha ● A sharigan & rinnegan user ● Feitan and Rael's mom ● Itachi's kouhai ● Whitebeard crew member ● Vongola 11th ● Marshall ● GD's secret (ex-)wife ● Kou empire's imperial princess ● Chen Kun's wife in my imaginations (this cringe shit has been with me for so long can't delete it so enjoy)
＊*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚Few important things˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚＊
- The present me tries to rate with the target audience in mind as much as I'm able to. On the contrary, the past me (say pre-2020) rated based on personal enjoyment. BUT if personal enjoyment (purely the feeling) exceeds my rational judgment (so I really loved it, but can't pinpoint why), I'll let my feelings prevail. That's because I then recognise the higher emotional (hell, I'd even say artistic and spiritual) effect.
- I DO NOT CHANGE MY RATINGS! Meaning that the rating I gave a story is based on the me back then. And my taste and maturity change. Although in daily life I'll say how my taste and judgment have become better, rationally speaking taste is subjective and nothing is superior. That is why I don't change my ratings out of respect for the me back then. I don't feel like the present me has the superiority to replace past ratings. This is also my justification for leaving past statements where they are (even if I find them really badly constructed).
- That's why the current me IS NOT FULLY ABLE to defend my past ratings. Especially things in the far past. It's impossible. But I also don't want to avoid responsibility. This is the dilemma I'm stuck with. That's why I do respect critique and if I want I'll reply to respectful and rational questions. But my main point is that my reply will be from the present me going into an experience of the past me who had a different mindset.
- Of course I still largely agree with probably most of my past ratings. But honestly, I cannot accurately say which ones and which aspects of them as the only way I can confirm that is to completely re-read it.
- People tend to shame others for rating something more "mature" lower than something "childish". But for the way I rate things, I have different expectations of both. If something "mature" isn't done well, I'll rate it low. If something "childish" excels in its target audience, I'll give it a high rating. And vice versa. Not that difficult. Just like how I wouldn't rate a slice of life the same way I rate an action. This is what I mean with rating with the target audience in mind.
But bruh how tf did a review years ago suddenly blow up
"Why Naruto, but not current shounens?":
First and foremost, I watched past shounen ages ago. I really enjoyed them and they were a part of my childhood. Purely by comparing feelings, not many other shounens have had the same effect on me since. This is bc of 2 reasons: 1) I've changed 2) shounen has changed.
Going into the change in shounen, current shounen lacks the past genius of putting deep emotional experiences in seemingly simple mindsets. Past shounen focuses on friendship and action, and delivers a feel-good yet deeply meaningful experience. The only issue is that the author keeps dragging it on. Present shounen tries to fix that, making the story more fast-paced. They also try to substitute the simplicity of shounen (simple friendships and forgiving mindsets) with more maturity. Maturity is great in the sense of a more realistic take on everything. But most present shounens I've read don't take that route. Instead, they become a story with more gore panels but void of deep emotions. All that's left are the fights with little intrinsic meaning. The motivation behind characters becomes weak. The visual effect is good, but not good enough to justify the lack of depth. It's as if most present shounen want to experiment with some seinen vibes, but fail to deliver the depth of seinen. Therefore it obviously cannot be considered a seinen, and also fail to meet my enjoyment for a shounen.
For good action and gore, there are stories like Gantz and Berserk.
For good action and mature mindsets, there are stories like AoT and Tokyo Ghoul.
For cool action with amazing fights, there are stories like Solo Leveling and Feng Shen Ji.
For good action and aesthetic arts and fanservice moments, try Black Butler.
In my eyes, most current shounen I've read don't excel in anything, and are instead floating among other alternative genres. I do recognize that that can be nice for people who don't want too much of one thing, which is the reason why I don't go out throwing 1's. That's my respect for that aspect. Also because it does a lot of good, really, just not anything outstanding.
Of course, the lack of depth is not limited to current shounen. Even though I have Bleach in my favourites, it's only because it's part of my childhood and I loved it a lot back then. Now looking back, it also lacked depth, and is mainly about "being cool". Which is, well, cool, but once again that coolness doesn't justify the lack of (positive, it's a shounen) emotional depth.
⋇.✮:▹My rating system, favourite genres and such◃:✮.⋇
>I wrote this very fast when I was bored and I'm too lazy to edit it so it probably won't make any sense I know. It's not even readable unless you select it bc of the colour lmao.<
I used to rate an anime or a manga how I felt like rating it, now I rate things based on both my enjoyment and the target audience.
I don't compare my ratings with each other.
I don't usually change my ratings after I've completed the anime/manga.
The average rating of my animes is high bc I used to like almost every anime, and their ratings are left unchanged. The average rating of my mangas is high bc I usually drop a manga after the first few chapters if it doesn't interest me. When that happens, I'll usually leave the score blank, which causes me to only finish and rate the ones I like, so the scores are usually above the 8. The reason why I need to make this clear is because people often tell me that my scores are overrated, so I'll just put this here instead of telling people to mind their own business every single fucking time. Thanks.
Random facts cuz I'm bored af & bc ur a stalker:
-I drop everything that can't hold my interest. I don't like to waste my time on them.
-My favourite genres are: shounen-ai (not yaoi cuz I'm innocent), gender bender, historical, mystery, romance, tragedy and action.
-Is angst considered a genre?
-I prefer manga over anime.
-I'm a sucker for detective stories.
I know my fav anime list is full of mainstream anime. Nothing to do about it. They were the only ones that kept me hyped up while watching. Plus they are suchhhh a big part of my childhood.
And the one thing I'll always say is GO READ THE MANGA YOU UNCULTURED SWINE
Manga's are so underrated.
I'm always up for recs! I know my list is restricted, so just ignore that.
⋇.✮:▹Favourite anime quotes◃:✮.⋇
"You lost because of one reason, and only one reason. Because I was your opponent."-Mukuro Rokudo, KHR
"It is sky that allows the cloud to move about freely. But someday, I will even bite up the sky itself."-Kyoya Hibari, KHR
"Only two kinds of people exist in this world: those who steal, and those who are stolen from. So then, today, I just stole your future. That's all."-Ciel Phantomhive. Kuroshitsuji
"There is no value in killing the likes of you… My foolish brother… If you want to kill me… curse me! Hate me! And live a long and unsightly life… Run away… run away… and cling to your pitiful life. And then some day, when you have the same eyes as I do, come before me."-Itachi Uchiha, Naruto
"You don't even have to forgive me. And no matter what you do from here on out, know this… I will always love you."-Itachi Uchiha. Naruto Shippuuden
"Just by living, people are hurting others without even realizing it. As long as mankind continues to exist, so will hatred. True peace can’t exist in this cursed world."-Pain, Naruto Shippuuden
"I'll die smiling!! Because if you ever think of me in the future... I want you to remember me smiling."-Corazon, One Piece
"Go light a birthday cake, you magma brat!"-Whitebeard, One Piece
"Now I understand. The magician isn't crazy. People are making him into a crazy person. Because he doesn't fit into the frame that adults had made."-Na Ildeung, Annarasumanara
"If anything happens to the princess, burning down a whole country is a simple matter."-Kija, Akatsuki no Yona
"What a joke. Turns out that to be a doctor, you need even more money! Got it? The world runs on money... So I want money!"-Leorio Paladinight, Hunter x Hunter
"The man who named me, the man that killed me, the man who gave me hope, Arima. You were my teacher and my father. I... was oh so happy."-Kaneki Ken, Tokyo Ghoul:re
"The hell is empty, and all devils are here."-Shakespear, The Tempest / William James Moriarty, Yukoku no Moriarty (my stupid ass didn't realise this is a Shakesear quote sjsksksk)
"They too lost their wings, because they got too close to a god. Accomplishing that,
being in the same situation as Icarus... What might their thoughts have been? And the answer
for that... they'll tell no one but angels."-random narrator, Kamisama no Iutoori
"I didn't smile because I made friends. I made friends because I talked to them with a smile."-Satoru Fujinuma, Boku dake ga Inai Machi
"Your highness, I'll always be your most faithful believer. (x2 if you know what I mean)"-Hua Cheng, Tian Guan Ci Fu
"The Flower-Crowned Martial God; Sword in one hand, flower in the other. Shi QingXuan only remembered the flower, but had forgotten: Xie lian ascended because of his sword."-Tian Guan Ci Fu
"Your ordinary little brother obtained the ability to ascend in all glory; it was my fate that it was robbed from, my divinity that it was plundered from. And you tell me that this has nothing to do with him?"-He Xuan, Tian Guan Ci Fu