Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime girls (sometimes guys) always have big eye and are 98% white/light skinned?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 26, 2018 11:16 PM

Feb 2015
Sonal1988 said:
teruu said:
What kind of message does Anime want to signal out with this sort of animation?

Big eyes = sign of innocence. And ofc in this world we know how pure all women are and how dirty all men are, right? That's how gender dynamics work.

Light skinned = Bc the Japs are lighter skinned+despite their abhorrence for anything not Japanese, they're actually quite fixated with Western culture/white people.

Blacks = Usually poor representation, but A Silent Voice is a good exception.

Thank you for the polite response amidst these angry people

Is Silent Voice an recent anime? Sounds cool
Hello
Feb 26, 2018 11:23 PM

Dec 2016
teruu said:

Thank you for the polite response amidst these angry people

Is Silent Voice an recent anime? Sounds cool

Do not expect any amount of decency from MAL forum regulars. I myself am only active when I truly have nothing better to do bc I'm too old go through all these pointless virtual pissing contests between 20 yr old man boys.
A Silent Voice a movie, and it's fantastic. Highly recommended.
Feb 26, 2018 11:29 PM

Jan 2018
yea even when they draw big eyes in the most anime, japanese's eyes isnt that big ofc.. idk either lol

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Feb 26, 2018 11:39 PM

Apr 2016
There's always that one user that must replace other in the daily work.

OP too obvious.
Feb 27, 2018 12:16 AM

Oct 2017
teruu said:
ZSTGL_IMA said:
Okay I apologize if I am being racist but tbh I don't find "black" characters really attracting like light tanned/white characters in anime
Most probably this is one of the reasons too

Very interesting. Mind you if this is personal but are you from South East Asia? Indian or Filipino? I'm sorry.. just curious.

None of the above mentioned
Well the point I stated is kinda true mate
Feb 27, 2018 12:39 AM
Mar 2015
Maybe because that's how the Japanese tend to view themselves? Or is that too logical?

Also, when it comes to hair, anime tends to believe hair color=personality traits.
Feb 27, 2018 3:35 AM

Feb 2015
ZSTGL_IMA said:
teruu said:

Very interesting. Mind you if this is personal but are you from South East Asia? Indian or Filipino? I'm sorry.. just curious.

None of the above mentioned
Well the point I stated is kinda true mate

Well I think that big black men are extremely attractive, no homo obviously.

You do not know what you are talking about
Hello
Feb 27, 2018 3:50 AM

Feb 2018
Big eyes - because it's cute and easier to express emotions that way.

White skin - because females have lighter skin than males and its more attractive to the japanese.

(plus escapism)
NerfpitouFeb 27, 2018 2:32 PM
Feb 27, 2018 4:36 AM

Nov 2014
It's funny how anime characters probably look more like aliens than any real life ethnicities (with their odd coloured hair and over-sized eyes), but nope they look white.

It's got to be about race huh...
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 27, 2018 4:38 AM

Feb 2016
my waifu looks asian, she deserves a medal
Feb 27, 2018 5:38 AM

Nov 2016
thats because anime is not made in Africa. ooooh point made

big eyes are cute. cuteness makes anime great.
its draw what you know.
Feb 27, 2018 5:43 AM

Aug 2014
I like how OP keep ignoring dozens of correct answers and still mumbling his nonsense. What a miserable trolls you can meet nowadays.
Feb 27, 2018 5:57 AM

Feb 2015
Nyu alt confirmed

I'm sure you'd say the same if all anime have black grills.
Feb 27, 2018 5:59 AM

Apr 2011
We traded away lupadim, Drama and Not_Biased for this...... god fucking dammit.
Feb 27, 2018 6:27 AM

Feb 2016
it's has to be about race , isn't it ? ε- ( ̄、 ̄)
Because we're stupid that we love to have fun
Feb 27, 2018 6:30 AM
Apr 2017
Such presentation and design of characters have become so much popular that if someone tries to change that, they will face a lot of criticism (implying less sales, less money...), or you can say a less chance of becoming commercially successful.
Feb 27, 2018 7:06 AM

Mar 2016
I like how the op conveniently ignores replies that explain the reason behind the anime very well but "debunks" posts which have a weak argument (sometimes dropping out half of the post for her/his convenience).
Big eyes - Because Anime was influenced by Walt Disney art style and because of the recent cute/moe influx
White - Japanese people are very pale and it is considered a beauty standard in East Asia
No Blacks - Visit a big city in Japan and you will see a single black person. Visit some rural ares and you'll see none. Even if Japan follows and "admires" Western pop culture, they are not affected by this diversity political correctness you have going on in the West.

Recently a game called Kingdom Come : Deliverance was attacked by some media outlets for not being diverse enough which is apparently racist. What was the problem you may ask?
There were no people of colour. That should be perfectly fine because the game was set in medieval Bohemia and the devs aimed to make the game as realistic as possible but some people just can't get over their need for seeing Black people everywhere
My name's Jeff
Feb 27, 2018 9:55 AM
Jan 2018
Because racism, am I right fellas?

Haha.
Feb 27, 2018 10:14 AM

Jun 2017
So this days something is racist because it doesnt contain black people? What the fuck is that logic?

Feb 27, 2018 10:15 AM

Dec 2017
I don't know but I hate big ass eyes they're so unrealistic
Feb 27, 2018 10:15 AM

Jan 2013

And why are them anime protagonists not old japanese people in kimonos? Care to explain? Racism maybe?
Feb 27, 2018 10:21 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
isekai said:
inb4 people starts calling you an SJW

im gonna instead call him a PC fag, which i guess is kinda like a spinoff on an SJW
Feb 27, 2018 11:00 AM
Jul 2018
It's obvious every time that the person making this is not an actual person of color but white right winger trying to increase race tension
Feb 27, 2018 11:06 AM

Jun 2008
Does OP know a LOT of Japanese girls and women have light skin?

Yes? no?
Feb 27, 2018 3:15 PM
Feb 2014
Ok, first, whatever the characters have big eyes or not is all dependent on the creators art style and how realistic the anime is.
Of course an anime like Death Note will have smaller eyes while Shoujo anime, for example, are infamous for having big eyed heroines.

Second, it's completely not true that there aren't dark skinned characters in anime, even recently i found some in the anime i watched this year.

Spoiler because of huge ass image post.

Here's some dark skinned characters for you:

And many more!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 1, 2018 7:58 PM

Jan 2010
This thread could have been worded better, but I'll at least try my best to give some semblance of an answer, though it's from a thread made a while back.

Shocked said:
From what I understand, aside from the Disney influence, with Bambi in particular, the emphasis on the eyes has roots in ukiyo-e, a style of woodblock print that existed throughout the Edo period.

Ukiyo-e was fairly reliant on straight and simple lines to represent facial features, objects, and physical motion, but around the turn of the 20th century, photography was introduced by the West. By that time, Japanese art also started to change, as they started getting lessons on realism through the Dutch I believe. Realism wasn't completely taken up though, as they combined that with their own style. It gave eyes in Japanese art a higher level of detail and a certain "sparkle" to it that wasn't present before.

Beyond that, it had just evolved over the years as people took up the style, adapted it to their own liking, copied each other, were inspired by each other, and eventually turned into whatever exists nowadays.

As for why it's done, I'd assume it has to do with large, round eyes being associated with innocence, curiosity, eagerness, youth, cuteness, or some combination of them all. Those happen to be easy to get sucked into, and they overlap with various main characters whom also have those traits.

Also, here are two art pieces of ukiyo-e I found, one from the late 18th century and one from 1931. Note that anime and manga weren't really a thing until after the Second World War.

As far as racial diversity goes, from what I understand, it may have some roots in post-WWII Japanese animation, where the stigma of a Japanese product didn't bode well in the global atmosphere. So, to try and appeal to a broad global audience, you had shows like Astro Boy appeal with a culturally abstracted aesthetic. It took place in the future with different geopolitical boundaries, using characters that looked to be more based in fantasy than real life. It appealed more to the ideas of technological modernization and its boons/consequences, not being constrained to just issues specific to Japan. This probably worked really well in combination with how limited the show's resources were, to where it seemingly lifted manga pages straight into animation with how static and literal motion looked. This, along with the issue concerning eyes, might have had influence in titles far down the future, potentially into present day.

Nowadays however, it might be due to some lack of racial diversity and issues with target audiences, but as anime continues to become more exposed to global markets, we may get more equally diverse stories along with characters. Though, I'd be interested to see how this could be done not just with singular characters, but with an entire series. My first thought was Tokyo Tribe 2 for its attempt at incorporating the aesthetics, atmospheres, and styles of hip hop the show's core, but it still had to do with gangs, which the OP noted with distaste. I suppose it's an easy way for writers to quickly identify characters - through their visual design and their assumed associated characteristics, but a lot more could be done, both to write more interesting stories and to introduce more diversity into anime. I'd definitely like to get more diverse stories, if just see how many more ways anime can be presented and created. Though, as far as this thread is concerned, hopefully an answer was found before the claims of baiting and trolling started to get thrown around.

Thread Locked
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 8 hours ago

8 by piyowizfoot »»
1 minute ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 37 minutes ago

5 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

17 by Catalano »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

18 by TeBaTe »»
9 minutes ago

» Cutest Shoujo Main Protagonist

lucaspatrick - Jan 8

49 by 707supremacist »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.