New
Feb 23, 2018 4:41 PM

Apr 2013
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Interview #157- @Pixel_Vapour ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Madoka Worshipper

"Sex, Torture, Alcohol"

Interview conducted by: @WiseOne

Tell us about yourself

Hi, my name is Laurence Hammond from the land of England, London. Y'all know me as Pixel_Vapour aka person with shit taste. I'm 26 years old so I am older than a lot of y'all (don't remind me).

I spent my life in primary and secondary school and went to college in Somerset to study music for a year. Afterwards I decided to come back to London and do another 2 years of music in a different college.

I'm a very shy person in real life and moderately OK once I know the person I'm speaking to (and had a couple of drinks). I also only really like talking about my interests which can really strain a conversation if the other person has no shared interests. For this reason, MAL can be pretty good (despite repetitive AD threads and negative comments.)

Nowadays I do voluntary work in a charity shop and have been doing so for around 2 years. I get benefits so I like to use voluntary work as a way to give back to the community and as an outlet so I don't feel like I'm doing eff all.

How did you choose your username?

It's nothing 2deep4u, I once went to a PC gaming cafe with a few friends in Somerset about 9 years ago and was thinking of a username to create. I thought about creating one around the concept of pixels. My friend thought of Pixel_Vapour and I have been using it ever since.

Could you give us a brief history of your time on MAL?

I attended a local anime meet in a pub for the first time in November 2016. It was there when I found out about MAL and how useful of a site it is to find new anime to watch and to keep track of what you're watching. I still attend the same anime meet to this day and made some good friends there.

At first I didn't frequent the forums apart from posting on episode discussions (I barely post on them now). The moment I added @KanonDE and @Ericonator I started to attend the Forum Games which are pretty fun actually and easily my favorite forum to frequent.

I also tend to stalk users profiles and scores so I'm sorry if I come off as creepy sometimes (actually sorry not sorry).

Any users you like/dislike? Why?

There are one or two users that I don't like but I would rather keep them to anonymity. As for users I like there are quite a few.

@KanonDE - My MAL husbando. He has great taste in anime (apart from Rebellion which is :amistake:) and anime girls. We also stream anime online which always tends to be a blast.

@Ericonator - We don't banter as much as me and Kanon but still great to chat with and luckily helped me to see the appeal of Monster and it's now become one of my favorites.

@ituhata - Really charismatic guy and always sounds like a fun guy to chat to irl.

@WiseOne - It's fun to debate music with him and to discover what music I listen to that he approves of.

@-Lofn- - I disagree with him on a couple of anime scores but he's a worthy addition to Discord.

@kiss - Thank you for creating Losers Club which I always have fun on chatting about different anime and slagging off how shit some series are. Also people treat you too harshly. I like you.

@_Senpai - I like rebelling against his favorites on Discord. Cool guy though.

@marshmellie - Good taste in horror anime and I like chatting to her about what series I have been watching.

And all of my friends who I meet at London. You know who you are.

How did you get into anime/manga?

When I was about 7 I used to watch Pokemon on TV and saw every episode of Kanto. I was obsessed with Pokemon to the point of wearing a Pokemon t-shirt to school on no uniform day.

I also used to watch Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon on TV but never watched all of the episodes. I also watched 1 or 2 Cardcaptor Sakura episode on TV but for some reason I never got too attached to it like I did for Sailor Moon, no idea why.

I got some Bleach DVDs when I was 19 because my ex liked anime and I wanted to try to get more into it. Unfortunately after watching it I broke up with her under a year and I stopped my quest into getting more into anime (not because of breaking up with her though, it just never happened).

Then when I was 23 I watched Sword Art Online and got properly into anime since then. I don't think very highly of SAO now but I guess I have to thank it for finishing my quest on getting into anime full time. MAL also definitely helped in showing me shows to watch.

What other hobbies do you have outside of anime/manga and MAL?

I like to learn Japanese and I have been doing half an hour of Japanese every day since about 2 years ago. I also like playing video games and was my main source of entertainment for 18 years of my life until I got into anime proper. I generally love JRPGs and my favorite thing ever created in any medium is Final Fantasy IX and I still adore it to this day after about 16 years of first playing it.

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

The site is run pretty well and admins always shut down threads that constantly don't follow the guideline rules (and honestly it does get annoying). I have no complaints with the exception of a lot of AD threads that can lead up to negativity.

I heard you attended a music course while you attended college, was there a reason why you decided to study music?

Well I suppose it started when I had gotten my first guitar at age 16. I wanted to try my hand at it as my friends also played guitar and it seemed like a good time. After a year of playing guitar I decided to take it seriously and thus lead to studying music at college. I got to learn some pretty useful stuff there like modes, tonality, history, how the industry works, etc.

You have accepted Madoka as your lord and savoir, is there a good reason to why we should consider this as well?

Hmm this is a toughie. I suppose her passiveness and selflessness are what I admire in a person and who I tend to become good friends with. The way how she developed in the final episode pulled on my heartstrings and got me like no other anime has done since. Also I personally love her design.

You have your reasons for disliking Code Geass greatly, can you tell them to us?

I have only seen season 1 of Code Geass at the time of this interview so keep that in mind. Code Geass ended up being a huge disappointment for me as it has an interesting premise but what I find to be bad writing with its many contrivances.

I don't like how the characters around Lelouch are not very smart and thus gives Lelouch an ungodly amount of plot armor (looking at you Mao).

CLAMPs character designs are nauseating to say the least. I really like their work with Cardcaptor Sakura but not here.

There are many plot details that I could go into but for the sake of not spoiling it for anyone I won't mention them here.

From @Ituhata: "Who is Madoka Magica best girl and why is it Sayaka?"

Well we already should know Madoka is my favorite but Sayaka is a great choice. She's my second favorite (used to be Homura until I watched Rebellion). She has the most tragic story in the series in my opinion and thus is probably the most relatable.

From @Ituhata: "Do you have a gambling addiction?"

I don't luckily. Discord just brings it out of me although I think I might give up on that. Too slow of a buildup..

From @The_Missing_Link: "What is your favorite Metal Gear and why is it Solid 1?"

MGS1 is my second favorite MGS game. It has a great OST, storyline, and my second favorite iteration of Ocelot. My favorite is (controversially) MGS4 though. Despite what the naysayers say it manages to wrap up most of the plot holes in the series to that point. I also adore the ending and got me to tears the most out of any game so far.

From Anonymous: "Why is 3D better than 2D?"

Because it isn't. 2D is superior.

From @KanonDE: "Are there any things you fear?"

I used to fear death when I was much younger. Nowadays I guess I would say I'm afraid of heights. I couldn't do abseiling because of it. I'm perfectly fine with flying in a plane though.

From @KanonDE: "What's your favorite weather?"

My favorite weather is easily when it's sunny (which doesn't happen as often as I like in sunny ol' England).

From @KanonDE: "Would you say that your taste in anime is superior compared to others?"

I would not say that I have superior taste. In fact I have shit taste and always admit to having shit taste.

From @KanonDE: "Are there any places in London you could recommend to visit?"

I don't really travel London a whole lot and it's a big place but I would recommend areas around Chinatown as there are some great restaurants, not too far from the theaters if you want to see a stage play, the instrument shops aren't too far away, there's a really cool arcade nearby with rhythm machines and cabinets, and a pretty nifty comic shop called Forbidden Planet which usually has a 3 for 2 deal on manga. I generally think that area has a taste of all things for all people.

I also can recommend Camden for street food and a lot of tourist shops if you don't mind huge crowds.

From @karineyn: "Based on the quote on your page, how do you deal with the situations in which you are not accepted the way you are, both online and in real life?"

Honestly I'm pretty lucky as I don't know anyone who doesn't accept the way I am and my family and friends all know my specific interests. I guess it's because i don't bring it up in unnecessary situations.

Do you see yourself leaving MAL in a near future?

Definitely not. I've made some great friends here and it's also always going to be useful to keep track of what I've watched. I log in every day and don't even see that changing in the near future.

Is there something unasked you would like to talk about?

Not that I'm aware of. If there's anything else you would like to ask just comment on my profile. Thanks :)

Any feedback on the interview format?

It was pretty interesting and glad to finally be interviewed myself.

Can you recommend us 3 members who we can choose from to interview next and briefly explain why you would love to read their interviews?

Well I could only come up with two, since turns out one of the users I wanted to see being interviewed was already interviewed and I can't really think of anyone else aside from them.

@AnjuRatty - Probably has the highest affinity with me on my friends list and would be interested in reading his interview.

@Fluggyboi - A user who I like to chat to on occasion and I feel like he would make an interesting interview.

End of the interview. Thank you for your time~
Aidoru-OjisanFeb 23, 2018 4:56 PM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 23, 2018 4:50 PM

Apr 2013
Well, well, my third interview and what would you guess, it's the interview of one of my other MAL buds! lol, seems like I keep on getting the good ones :D, pretty interesting read that let's me and others know more about ya, also btw...

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Feb 23, 2018 5:02 PM

May 2017
Pretty good interview @pixel_vapour @wiseone you guys kept it short n sweet.

I must say I agree with your assessment of Sayaka. :3

To be completely honest tho I had her pegged as best girl before the end of episode 1, my intuition came through on that one!

Madoka is just too pure. :D

Feb 23, 2018 5:13 PM

Apr 2017
wow, @wiseone you home wrecker
how could you steal kanon from pixie?

also 3D>2D
Feb 23, 2018 9:03 PM

Sep 2011
Nice interview ! Always great to read more about the people you're close to - and thanks for the tag that place is my baby and I'm glad you enjoy it <3 I love hearing people happy ~

WiseOne said:
Well, well, my third interview and what would you guess, it's the interview of one of my other MAL buds! lol, seems like I keep on getting the good ones :D, pretty interesting read that let's me and others know more about ya, also btw...

Ouch.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Feb 24, 2018 1:45 AM

Nov 2016
Thanks guys :) I was nervous in how it would turn out to be honest and I haven't wrote nearly as much as other people. My life doesn't warrant lots of text D:
Feb 24, 2018 9:52 PM

Oct 2015
4 more years bruh, 30 years old wizard.

:amistake:

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Feb 27, 2018 8:08 AM

Feb 2016
As a professional Madoka connoisseur, I acknowledge the superior taste and competence of this individual, blessed be.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.