Forum Settings
Forums

Any anime that, in your opinion, has a better dub than sub or the other way around?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 11, 2018 6:44 PM

Aug 2017
Baccano, Ghost Stories, and Garzeys Wing.

thats the complete list
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2018 7:09 PM
Sep 2009
I really hate them especially Eng Dubs lol but I thought that Kabamaru was more funnier in the dubbed version of my country ,Plus Dragon Ball & Dragon Quest, The main characters had better voice actors than the original one for me, but other than that, nope. :)
Feb 11, 2018 7:52 PM

Aug 2017
Ghost Stories. Duh, it's not rocket science.
Feb 11, 2018 8:06 PM

Jul 2017
I always find subs superior to dubs since there is not one dub I've seen that is superior to sub. I do know one that I love both equally. It's more a game since the anime adaptation is not dubbed.

Persona 3.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Feb 11, 2018 8:11 PM
Jan 2018
Baccano and Ghost Stories are the first two that come to mind... besides that I don't think I've watched a show were I thought the dub was the definitive way to watch. Thinking more, I think Black Lagoon is more fun to watch in dub for all the swearing! hahaha
Feb 11, 2018 8:21 PM

Feb 2018
I don't know much good dubs but I think Cowboy Bebop is actually really good dubbed.
Feb 11, 2018 8:22 PM

Mar 2015
Better/prefer dub: Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood, Trigun, Space Dandy, School Rumble, Hetalia, Welcome to the NHK(subs kinda better but I just prefer yamazakis voice:^) ), Blood Lad, maybe Gun x Sword.

Better/prefer sub: The rest.
woah there
Feb 11, 2018 8:27 PM

Oct 2015
For shows better dubbed than subbed I'd have to say Steins;Gate, Black Lagoon, Trigun, Cowboy Bepop, Samurai Champloo, Psycho Pass (definitely), A Certain Magical Index/Railgun.

Can't think of much else cos almost always shows are better subbed.
Feb 11, 2018 8:46 PM

Dec 2012
Shows where I prefer the English dub:

91 Days
Accel World
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
Ajin
Alderamin on the Sky
Aldnoah Zero
Amagi Brilliant Park
The Asterisk War
B Gata H Kei
Baccano
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Birdy the Mighty: Decode/Decode 02/Cipher
Black Butler
Black Lagoon/Second Barrage/Roberta's Blood Trail
Blue Gender
Broken Blade Films
Brynhildr in the Darkness
Castle in the Sky
Chevalier D'Eon
Chobits
Code Geass/R2/Akito the Exiled
Cowboy Bebop/movie
Coyote Ragtime Show
D.Gray-man/Hallow
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Darker Than Black/Gemini of the Meteor/OVA
Deadman Wonderland
Death Note
Death Parade
Dragonball Z
Drifters
Durarara/DurararaX2
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Eden of the East/Movies
Erased
Ergo Proxy
Expelled From Paradise
Fairy Tail/movie
Fate/Zero
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Flying Witch
From Up on Poppy Hill
Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood/movies
Full Metal Panic/Fumofu/The Second Raid
Future Diary
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Gargantia on the Verderous Planet
Garo: The Animation
GATE
Ghost Hound
Ghost Hunt
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex/2nd Gig/Solid State Society
Girls Bravo
Gungrave
Gunslinger Girl/Il Teatrino
Haganai/Next
Haibane Renmei
Heaven's Memo Pad
Hellsing/Hellsing Ultimate
Heroic Age
Highschool DXD/New/Born
Howl's Moving Castle
Hyouka
Innocent Venus
Inu X Boku SS
Inu Yasha/Inu Yasha: The Final Act/Movies
Joker Game
Jormungand/Perfect Order
K/Missing Kings/Return of Kings
Kanon (2006)
Karas
Kaze no Stigma
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
Kiki's Delivery Service
King of Thorn
Kingdom
Knights of Sidonia
Koi Kaze
Kurau: Phantom Memory
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Lord Marksman and Vanadis
Madlax
Maid Sama
The Mardock Scramble Films
Master Keaton
Monster
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Mushishi
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Needless
Noir
Noragami/Aragoto
Nura: Rise of the Yokai/The Demon Capital
Okami-san and Her Seven Companions
One Punch Man
Overlord
Paprika
Paranoia Agent
Parasyte: The Maxim
Perfect Blue
Planetes
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Porco Rosso
Portrait of Petite Cossette
Princess Mononoke
Psycho Pass/movie/Psycho Pass 2
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Read or Die/ROD TV
RahXephon
Red Data Girl
Redline
Requiem From the Darkness
Rideback
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne
Robotics Notes
Rumbling Hearts
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo
Sekirei/Pure Engagement
Seven Deadly Sins
Shiki
Skip Beat
Snow White With the Red Hair/Season 2
Sol Bianca: The Legacy
Spice and Wolf/Spice and Wolf 2
Spirited Away
Starblazers 2199
Steins Gate/movie
Summer Wars
Super Dimension Fortress Macross (the non-robotech redub)
Sword Art Online/SAO season 2/movie
Sword of the Stranger
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Tenchi Muyo: The War on Geminar
Tenjho Tenge
Terror in Resonance
Tokyo Ravens
Towanoquon movies
We Without Wings
Welcome to the NHK
Whisper of the Heart
Witch Hunter Robin
Yona of the Dawn
Your Name
Yu Yu Hakusho
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for what's better subbed I don't really keep track, but:
11 Eyes
After War Gundam X
Amagami SS/SS+
And Yet the Town Movies
Armored Trooper Votoms
Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Bakemonogatari
Black Jack TV
Black Rock Shooter
Blast of Tempest
Bunny Drop
Cat's Eye
Dirty Pair TV
Eden of Grisaia
Familiar of Zero Seasons 2-4
Fruit of Grisaia
Galaxy Angel X
Garden of Sinners Films
.hack//GU Trilogy
Hanamonogatari
Hanasaku Iroha/movie
Hell Girl: Two Mirrors/Three Vessels
The Irregular at Magic Highschool
ItaKiss
Katanagatari
Kimagure Orange Road/OVA/Movie 1
Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You/ Season 2
Kizumonogatari Films
Kobato
Koyomigatari
Kurenai
Library War
Listen to me Girls, I'm Your Father
Lovely Complex
Magical Girl Creamy Mami
Maoyu
Monogatari Series Second Season
My Otome 0~S.ifr~
Myself, Yourself
Mystic Archives of Dantalian
Nekomonogatari (Black)
Nisemonogatari
Okamikakushi
Omamori Himari
Our Home's Fox Deity
Owarimonogatari
The Princess and the Pilot
Ray
Rose of Versailles
School Days
Sola
Soul Link
Strike the Blood
Time of Eve OVA
A Town Where You Live
True Tears
Tsukimonogatari
Turn A Gundam
Umeneko: When They Cry
Urusei Yatsura OVA
Waiting in the Summer
Yosuga no Sora
Yozakura Quartet
Zakuro
When They Cry Season 2: Kai
When They Cry Season 3: Rei
Zoku Owarimonogatari

...by default because they don't have English dubs.
KruszerJul 7, 2020 10:38 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 11, 2018 8:58 PM

Nov 2014
Code Geass dub for the most part was brilliant.
Feb 12, 2018 2:14 AM

Apr 2015
I have to agree with Baccano! and Code Geass. I also like what they did with Romeo x Juliet.
Feb 12, 2018 2:19 AM

Dec 2016
No, certain people, there do exist anime with better dubs than subs.

Baccano!, Hellsing Ultimate, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost Stories are waaaay better dubbed than subbed. Watch it yourself and find out.

Also Code Geass has a not bad dub, although I would still watch sub. Everything else for the most part is hands-down easy sub.
Feb 12, 2018 2:24 AM
Oct 2015
I prefer the DBZ dub over the sub. DBZ and FMA brotherhood were the first anime I ever watched and they were both dub. I don't think I would of kept watching anime if I had started with japanese. Overall: sub > dub.
Feb 12, 2018 2:45 AM

Mar 2016
Listing thread, I just use dub to western premise stories like Cowboy Bebo, Ergo Proxy, Spice & Wolf or the recent Magus Bride and Violet Evergarden... their dubs are decent so far.
Feb 12, 2018 3:21 AM

Mar 2016
Lots of people say DBZ but the original funimation dub for Dragon Ball Z sucks ass. Inexperienced actors, tons of mistranslations, music change that doesn't fit the DB franchise etc.

Japanese Dragon Ball > English Dragon Ball.

Feb 12, 2018 6:17 AM

Mar 2013
As others have mentioned, Black Lagoon Dub > Black Lagoon Sub.
Other than that, I prefer subs, but there are some anime that still have pretty decent dubs.

Feb 12, 2018 6:35 AM

Jun 2015
I prefer the dubs for Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, Girls Bravo, and Yu-Gi-Oh. I don't usually watch dubs so there might be others I'd prefer that I just never tried.
Feb 12, 2018 6:36 AM

Feb 2016

However, Afro Samurai, or does that not count?
Feb 12, 2018 6:40 AM

Oct 2010
Ghost stories has the best dub ever, the cast transformed
a boring highschool ghosts anime into a shitpost of comedy.
Danganronpa dub too, with its flashy talk and dirty jokes
Feb 12, 2018 6:45 AM

Jan 2010
Sub will always be superior than dub
Feb 12, 2018 8:14 AM
Dec 2013
For dubs that are better than subs: Index and Railgun dubs because I don't like Kuroko's old lady voice in the sub, and feel that the voice doesn't fit the character. I think the voice fits better in the English dub.

For subs that are better than dubs: Negima's sub because Negi Springfield's dubbed voice is cancer. It's like the worst thing ever, and made me switch to sub halfway through the first episode. For some reason, they got a grown man to voice a 9 year old boy, instead of a woman, like it should've been. It really made me start to dislike Greg Ayres as a voice actor, and made me avoid dubs that have him in it. Another sub that is better than the dub is Kanokon's sub because I hate how they pronounce "Chizuru" in the dub. I've watched other anime subbed with a character named Chizuru in it, so I know how it should be pronounced, and it just sounds so wrong in the dub.
wildhoodFeb 12, 2018 8:32 AM
Feb 12, 2018 8:26 AM
Jun 2016
Blackout0129 said:
Unless you know Japanese, you can't really tell a dub is better than a sub, you can only say it sounds better to your hears
Actually, I agree with this, tho the japanese VAs convey the emotions better imo.
Feb 12, 2018 8:32 AM

Dec 2014
Dbz, Black Lagoon, Summer Wars, Twelve Kingdoms. There are some more but meh.
Some anime like FMA brotherhood and Death Note have amazing dubs but better than the sub? Doubt it.
Feb 12, 2018 8:49 AM
Jul 2015
Oh i can name a fuck ton.

Gurren lagann
Fullmetal alchemist
Overlord
fate/zero
Attack on titan
cowboy bebop
soul eater
Fairy tail
etc.

Unlike most of y'all i watch both dub and sub when i rewatch a certain series or if i feel englishy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2018 8:59 AM
Jul 2015
pgmhecateii said:
No, all subs are superior (since it's the original) than the dub.

Don't say Gakkou no Kaidan or Cowboy Bebop or Baccano or western setting stuff. My answer will always be that they make me cringe, and that the idea of English in anime is unappealing enough....

What do you mean all subs are superior to dubs because originality? The official english dub is original the same way the official japanese dubs are. The english dub is it's own thing.
Feb 12, 2018 9:05 AM
Jul 2015

UrbanSpaceman said:
Voice actors in Japan: people who are going to voice acting courses and academies specially to become voice actor.
Voice actors in other countries: people who failed as a normal actor.

I like how you say english dub voice actors are failed actors. Actors like troy baker,samuel L jackson,christopher sabat,vic,etc are all praised actors. I can name more if you want.
Feb 12, 2018 9:25 AM

Aug 2015
thomassimpsons said:

I like how you say english dub voice actors are failed actors. Actors like troy baker,samuel L jackson,christopher sabat,vic,etc are all praised actors. I can name more if you want.

L Jackson voiced only one anime and I've never heard about two other guys, what movie or what tv show did those guys played?
Feb 12, 2018 9:29 AM
Mar 2016
I think we can all agree Ghost Stories dub is SOO MUCH BETTER THAN ITS SUB XD
Feb 12, 2018 9:30 AM

Jul 2009
Steins Gate, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon, Baccano, Overlord, DBZ, Naruto, SpiceWolf, FMA are what immediately come to mind. Ghost Stories too for the lulz.
Feb 12, 2018 9:32 AM
Jun 2014
Gakkou no Kaidan is one of the very few instance where i actually appreciated the dub version, it was a masterpiece
-Ollerus-Feb 12, 2018 1:02 PM
Feb 12, 2018 9:36 AM
Aug 2017
Sub is better in most cases.
An example of better dub is hyperdimension neptunia
Feb 12, 2018 9:38 AM
Jul 2015
UrbanSpaceman said:
thomassimpsons said:

L Jackson voiced only one anime and I've never heard about two other guys, what movie or what tv show did those guys played?

It still counts.

Christopher sabat has won multiple awards. Only including popular characters sabat has voiced vegeta,piccolo,kuwabara(yu yu hakusho),roronoa zoro,All might(mha),etc.

Troy baker has also won multiple awards. Excluding video game characters like joker(arkham series),joel( last of us),etc he has voiced Pein,Greed(fmab),etc.

Vic mignogna also won multiple awards. He has voiced Edward elric(fmab),Ikkaku(bleach),Mard geer(fairy tail),etc
Feb 12, 2018 10:03 AM

Aug 2015
thomassimpsons said:

It still counts.

Christopher sabat has won multiple awards. Only including popular characters sabat has voiced vegeta,piccolo,kuwabara(yu yu hakusho),roronoa zoro,All might(mha),etc.

Troy baker has also won multiple awards. Excluding video game characters like joker(arkham series),joel( last of us),etc he has voiced Pein,Greed(fmab),etc.

Vic mignogna also won multiple awards. He has voiced Edward elric(fmab),Ikkaku(bleach),Mard geer(fairy tail),etc

Well they won multiple awards, good for them. But how does this contradicts my words? I just googled them - all of them became voice actors after they failed as musicians and producers, what takes us back to my first words: people are becoming dub actors after failure somewhere else unlike Japanese who are becoming voice actors intentionally.
Feb 12, 2018 10:25 AM

Apr 2017
cowboy bebop and fma 2003 have one of the best dubs in history.

can't think of many right now.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Feb 12, 2018 10:29 AM
Jul 2015
UrbanSpaceman said:
thomassimpsons said:

It still counts.

Well they won multiple awards, good for them. But how does this contradicts my words? I just googled them - all of them became voice actors after they failed as musicians and producers, what takes us back to my first words: people are becoming dub actors after failure somewhere else unlike Japanese who are becoming voice actors intentionally.

Except Samuel l Jackson has a very good reputation.

And troy Baker is a musician.

And youre acting as if all Japanese voice actors were originally some kind of a successfull superstar.
The va for the MC of erased literally has one role,the va of maka from soul eater has only appeared in one film . Kugi rie va of taiga(tornadoes),etc's latest album was was 8 years ago she hasn't released any new album. Tomakazu digits va of gintoki has always been a va with no previous relevant career.
I'm not trying to difficult their va since I genuinely enjoy rie and sugita.

I can go on and on but this amount of example is enough.
LauratioFeb 12, 2018 10:33 AM
Feb 12, 2018 10:34 AM
Jan 2017
Kill la Kill IMO, but not by much. Also Panty and Stocking, mostly because the comedy is just better in english than japanese.

DBZ, I prefer the voices, since they match the character for the most part, but the voice acting was inconsistent. Kai is much better voice acting wise, so Kai is better than the sub.

Otherwise if I watch the dub, I don't usually go back to the sub, and vice versa, so those are the only one for me.
Feb 12, 2018 10:36 AM
Sadist

Jun 2016
Steins;Gate
Suzumiya Haruhi
Cowboy BeeBop
Feb 12, 2018 11:05 AM

Aug 2015
thomassimpsons said:

And youre acting as if all Japanese voice actors were originally some kind of a successfull superstar.
The va for the MC of erased literally has one role,the va of maka from soul eater has only appeared in one film . Kugi rie va of taiga(tornadoes),etc's latest album was was 8 years ago she hasn't released any new album. Tomakazu digits va of gintoki has always been a va with no previous relevant career.

Do you even understand what I am saying?

At first, L Jackson is not a voice actor - he voiced ONCE.

And secondly, do you know anything about seiyu? Just read some info. Famous voice actors in Japan are successful just by voice acting, they don't really need to make music etc.

That's what I try to explain: voice actors in Japan have a better status, stronger competition, better reasons to become voice actor and better qualification than voice actors from the other countries. That makes them way more professional.
Feb 12, 2018 11:50 AM

Dec 2017
tragedydesu said:
Sub better than dub : every anime ever created

Dub better than sub : none

"Cowboy Bebop" and "Black Lagoon" prove you wrong.
Feb 12, 2018 12:00 PM

Dec 2017
antabakax said:
I don't understand why people watch a dub version, I can't imagine that because, for me, anime is mainly associated with the beautiful language that is Japanese

Pretty much this. Most dubs are disturbing (for me) and I just don't feel like watching anime if I watch dubs. It simply feels like a cartoon or something, and I struggle to understand every word. Subs are just better in most cases.
Feb 12, 2018 12:01 PM

Aug 2016
Truthfully, It's about half-half for me. I've seen plenty of fantastic Dubs that completely destroy the original; Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Record Of Loddoss war, Etc. And Subs where the Dub doesn't hold a candle to them. I am more of a Dub watcher though. Nothing against the Subs, but if I wanted to read I'd break open a book, and this next ome will get me sooooo much hate, but I find the Japanese language to be really grating at times. Not always, but I find Shonen, Comedy's and Harem to be really bad offenders. Almost as if the Actors were asked to speak in a high pitch squeals.

The irony to all this is that I never watch a Live Action films dubbed. Why? I suppose it has to do with the lip movement and syncing. Live Action is instantly noticeable that somethings up when watching a Dubbed version. Animation on the other hand is almost flawless at it.
AannFeb 12, 2018 10:23 PM
Feb 12, 2018 12:07 PM
Jul 2015
UrbanSpaceman said:
thomassimpsons said:

Do you even understand what I am saying?

At first, L Jackson is not a voice actor - he voiced ONCE.

And secondly, do you know anything about seiyu? Just read some info. Famous voice actors in Japan are successful just by voice acting, they don't really need to make music etc.

That's what I try to explain: voice actors in Japan have a better status, stronger competition, better reasons to become voice actor and better qualification than voice actors from the other countries. That makes them way more professional.

Samuel has other VA roles aside afro. Should I mention them for you?

No shit Sherlock. I can rearrange that paragraph and say the same thing about west.

Okay. The Japanese have a strong competition on va. So does Hollywood or any industries.
Feb 12, 2018 12:18 PM

Jan 2018
I know there are certain anime that have good dubs that people prefer over the sub. For me, I usually always watch the sub no matter what it is.
Feb 12, 2018 2:27 PM

Jan 2016
I find watching Shounen I watched as a kid notoriously difficult to watch subbed, since I watched them dubbed to begin with.
Feb 12, 2018 3:33 PM
Aug 2016
Death note is better in Latin Spanish and that is a fact
Feb 12, 2018 3:42 PM
Apr 2009
Desert punk, awesome in dub, one of the only anime i prefer dubbed over subbed
Feb 12, 2018 3:44 PM

Jun 2010
I guess Dragon Ball Z has better dub than sub. Goku's voice in the original is terrible, whenever I hear it I start to cringe.
Feb 12, 2018 3:46 PM

Jul 2017
only dub that better then the sub is dragon ball
Feb 12, 2018 3:46 PM
Jan 2013
Lalakoboldslayer said:
I guess Dragon Ball Z has better dub than sub. Goku's voice in the original is terrible, whenever I hear it I start to cringe.

I agree 100 percent. Complete garbage. Goten sounds older than Gohan and Goku? Wut?
Feb 12, 2018 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
Only dubs I prefer are Spirited Away, Ouran HSHC and Fruits Basket.

Other dubs I find good like Death Note.. or Persona 4.. but I still prefer the sub. Most dubs are shit.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Spoiled by the algorithm

zaako - 5 hours ago

13 by Rhae »»
17 seconds ago

» Why so much hate for Sousou no Frieren?

Gashadokur0 - 3 hours ago

17 by TRC_Randy »»
32 seconds ago

» which anime character resonates with you the most? to be specific, who's your "literally me" anime character?

FruitPunchBaka - 5 hours ago

19 by Lhundrup »»
1 minute ago

» What is the biggest problem in the world of anime in your opinion? ( 1 2 )

castle2001 - May 5

65 by DX_impulse »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime you’ve been with for a while

Yonahim_Zz - 7 hours ago

16 by notPara »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.