Forum Settings
Forums

Why do members of the Gintama community over inflate Gintama's MAL scores?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 16, 2018 5:35 AM
May 2017
HotaruKara said:
spacebishijesus said:

If that is supposed to refer to me, then note I have seen 20 eps and then I dropped it, so I think that I have somewhat of a platform to critique upon.

Nah, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to those that haven't even seen one episode of Gintama and hate on it blindly. So chill mate.

by the tone of your answer you're the one in need of chilling out.
Jan 16, 2018 5:36 AM

Jan 2017
spacebishijesus said:
yeah ofc there's going to be opinion and bias in a thread about that but people are not making rational arguments here because they refuse to acknowledge Gintama as anything but perfect.

"it's just not a show for you, " clearly, but my taste has no real relevance in this post. Notice how I never said this show is bad, but instead that I think the scores are too high.

I would say it's because many people won't bother watching a show they don't like, so only those who genuinely like it stay and they rate it 10 based on their enjoyment. And since season 1 had 200 episodes, maybe people just don't finish it, drop it and not rate it? I really can't say about it, since it's not my case haha.

Even I can admit that some episodes and arcs weren't so great as some others, but with a long show like this I think people rate it thinking about their overall enjoyment and impression. With now 340+ episodes, looking back at the show I definitely think about the many I enjoyed instead of the few that were just fine. Those are just kind of... forgotten and the overall impression stays high. I hope I'm explaining myself fine haha.

Regarding the arguments, I still think a lot of those arguments were pretty good, I think when you ask for reasons why people like something they will list ONLY those reasons, I can't remember but I don't think you asked about negatives? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you only asked about the reasons behind the love
Jan 16, 2018 5:42 AM
May 2017
holiday498 said:
spacebishijesus said:
yeah ofc there's going to be opinion and bias in a thread about that but people are not making rational arguments here because they refuse to acknowledge Gintama as anything but perfect.

"it's just not a show for you, " clearly, but my taste has no real relevance in this post. Notice how I never said this show is bad, but instead that I think the scores are too high.

I would say it's because many people won't bother watching a show they don't like, so only those who genuinely like it stay and they rate it 10 based on their enjoyment. And since season 1 had 200 episodes, maybe people just don't finish it, drop it and not rate it? I really can't say about it, since it's not my case haha.

Even I can admit that some episodes and arcs weren't so great as some others, but with a long show like this I think people rate it thinking about their overall enjoyment and impression. With now 340+ episodes, looking back at the show I definitely think about the many I enjoyed instead of the few that were just fine. Those are just kind of... forgotten and the overall impression stays high. I hope I'm explaining myself fine haha.

Regarding the arguments, I still think a lot of those arguments were pretty good, I think when you ask for reasons why people like something they will list ONLY those reasons, I can't remember but I don't think you asked about negatives? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you only asked about the reasons behind the love

you make a good point about the length I'm surprised few others cited. and no you're entirely correct as to what I asked for. that being said if you're able to criticise the show then by all means do so
Jan 16, 2018 5:44 AM

Jun 2009
holiday498 said:
spacebishijesus said:

Yeah, I agree. Having watched most seasons of Gintama, I think a lot of those who bothered watching more of it or finished the seasons rated it so highly.
It seems a lot of those who dropped it at the first few episodes don't bother to give it a score.
So the majority of those who bother to give it a score are avid Gintama watchers. Resulting in Gintama's high score.
Jan 16, 2018 5:47 AM
May 2017
HotaruKara said:
holiday498 said:

Yeah, I agree. Having watched most seasons of Gintama, I think a lot of those who bothered watching more of it or finished the seasons rated it so highly.
It seems a lot of those who dropped it at the first few episodes don't bother to give it a score.
So the majority of those who bother to give it a score are avid Gintama watchers. Resulting in Gintama's high score.

took like a day for this thread to come to a reasoned conclusion that wasn't "I enjoyed it", even if it was pretty obvious. gg tho aha
Jan 16, 2018 5:50 AM

Jan 2017
spacebishijesus said:
you make a good point about the length I'm surprised few others cited. and no you're entirely correct as to what I asked for. that being said if you're able to criticise the show then by all means do so

Yeah I get you, I just don't think critique comes to mind with the question haha. The first few episodes are definitely the weakest, I will admit that, but they serve to introduce the characters so skipping them would be a problem. For me personally, every show is about characters and if I click with them or no. In this case, I love majority of the characters in gintama and that is the base of my personal enjoyment.
Jan 16, 2018 5:58 AM
Dec 2017
Gintama fans are the type of people that laugh when someone says the words:"dick" "vagina"
Jan 16, 2018 6:01 AM

Sep 2017
spacebishijesus said:
AraragiNagito said:
Because we like it and therefore we rate it a high score.Is is really that hard to understand?

People say that the gintama fanbase is cancer just because we rate it 10/10 but i think it's pretty obvious that the haters are much more cancerous since they rate it 1/10 without even watching it just to drop it off the top anime list (which still doesn't even work lol)

Besides, are you people really that insecure about your tastes that you feel so intimidated just because people enjoy one particular anime more than you do?

Jesus Christ, just grow up!

oh my god you utter retard. I'm know that enjoyment is one factor and I was asking if there were any other factors.

The question of this thread isn't "why do people love gintama so much" but "why do people over inflate its score on mal" which is basically an asshole's way of asking the former question

The short answer is : we don't!
I've watched a LOT of anime, and gintama is one of my all time favorites for many reasons:

- First of all, the humor: It's definitely not for everybody, and i'm sure you heard a lot of people say that it's not that good early on and that it gets much better later on, which in my opinion is true.I see it as a combination of the simpsons and south park humor, with a heavy touch of japanese culture and A LOT of references, but not references like the big bag theory does when it just mentions star wars or smth and that's it.It builds a joke around another anime or game that you would get only if you have watched it and know the context behind the specific thing that is referenced, which for me has a bigger impact than a normal joke would.Then there is the brilliant 4th wall breaking and the fact that the show knows when to make fun of itself, which is something that i can respect.

- Then there is the characters: this also works to build up the humor of the show.A lot of comedy shows are funny because a guy does one specific thing that is funny, but gintama is funny because THAT specific character does one specific thing that wouldn't normally be funny if it were done by any other character, and again because of that the jokes hit much harder than they normally would, which is why a funny moments compilation on yt wouldn't really do the show much justice

- Then there is the tone shift : I can't really go into details here, but gintama is not just a comedy show, there are a lot of different lessons to be learned from the more serious episodes, and there were a lot of moments that hit really close to home and made me extremely emotional.Around the later episodes the fight scenes are some of the best i have ever seen and the overall production value is really good for such a long series

- Which brings me to my final point : This is how an anime series should be! How many seasonal one hit wonders have there been over the past years, only to never receive a conclusion? The studios who have worked on gintama clearly have a lot of passion for their work, since there is really no content that was skipped and the overall quality of the show remained consistent and considerably better than the original source material, i daresay!

I'm not asking people to like gintama, it's definitely not a perfect anime, if you don't then that is completely fine, just hate because you genuinely don't like it! The problem is that most people who hate gintama hate it because other people love it, which is a logic that i just can't understand!

I don't know if you read all of my nonsense here (i never write reviews for anything ever, so this is something that came from the heart), but I hope this answers your question as to why I love the show, and i'm sure this is the same for most people who have watched all of the episodes and rated it a 10/10
AlanWeebusJan 16, 2018 6:05 AM
ppl don't think their opinions be wrong, but it do.
Jan 16, 2018 6:12 AM

Sep 2015
People who hate Gintama i bet most of them are from West.

They can't stand Gintama make fun of their 2D best waifu/anime.

Remember Gintama is Japan itself.
Into the Internet!
Jan 16, 2018 6:12 AM

Jan 2016
You can just ignore them. Just don't care. It's simple.
Jan 16, 2018 6:20 AM

Aug 2017
Nope, I feel like most of the Gintama scores are right on the mark and The real question is 'Why are Gintama haters so butthurt?'.
Jan 16, 2018 6:21 AM

May 2016
Haters will hate it's definitely the best comedy/ serious anime out there if you have a little bit of your brain working you know that.
Jan 16, 2018 6:25 AM

Aug 2017
AND, Most of the people I see who hate on Gintama have solely watched 1-3 episodes from hundreds and hundreds of episodes....But they still have the mentality to hate on a show they know F all about. I have watched 47 episodes of FMAB, I don't like it that much, But I don't go around every place and say how overrated it is (Which is my opinion). First watch something, I mean watch the majority of something before coming to your butthurt conclusions.
Jan 16, 2018 6:25 AM

Aug 2016
It is simple in my opinion
If you like a show and enjoy it, give it a high rating.
If you don`t like it, then just don`t watch it, you should spend your time on something else.
Jan 16, 2018 6:33 AM

Aug 2017
Chiibi said:
Watching too much Gintama just made them too stupid. :/
Gintama is the most intellectual show out there, What turns a person brain dead and impossible to take seriously is when you have time to say Gintama fans stupid, But have SAO in you're favorites. Please stop. Get help.
Jan 16, 2018 6:34 AM

Apr 2017
Another day another bait thread.

Also, haters gonna hate.. so let's ignore them.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Jan 16, 2018 6:39 AM
Dec 2017
EngravedinDeath said:
Chiibi said:
Watching too much Gintama just made them too stupid. :/
Gintama is the most intellectual show out there, What turns a person brain dead and impossible to take seriously is when you have time to say Gintama fans stupid, But have SAO in you're favorites. Please stop. Get help.
pretty sure non are intellectual so both of you go get help
Jan 16, 2018 6:43 AM

Dec 2014
Gintama is gud tho (´༎ຶ ͜ʖ ༎ຶ `)♡
Jan 16, 2018 6:46 AM

Aug 2015
Oo another thread about popular anime being too popular and overrated.

Seriously Gintama gets the high scores the same way other good anime does: people like it. That's all.

If you don't like it - ignore.
Jan 16, 2018 6:50 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
There is always two sides of the spectrum and it's just obnoxious.
Jan 16, 2018 6:57 AM

Nov 2016
HotaruKara said:
spacebishijesus said:

"The difference between SAO and Gintama is that Gintama is actually good and SAO is overhyped mediocre trash." your bias ruins what was actually a well articulated post. I'm not asking you to be a bastion of objectivity but I'd suggest trying to view things more generally and be a little less opinionated because it undermines the validity of your answer, insofar that it's a pretty good argument (w/o bias that is)

I didn't actually try to be objective but I didn't try to be biased either. I just said my opinion. And yeah, it would have looked "better" if I didn't say my opinion about SAO. But I would have been dishonest. SAO sucks, no matter how you spin it. It's one of the few anime that actually irritate me. I've seen other mediocre shows but they don't compare to the level SAO irritates me.

Maybe because the first 4 episodes started out good but it all went downhill from there. I guess the huge disappointment I felt was a huge factor in me disliking the anime so much.

You can't say however that SAO is better than Gintama or Attack on Titan unless you're doing it for a meme. No matter how objective one is, putting SAO on the same level with Gintama just doesn't work.

Somehow i feel like you are just talking about yourself when you talk about haters in the community.
Which is conflicting and just ruins your whole point.
Gintama and SAO can be on different levels of quality in your eyes but then the fandom and the haters have very similar qualities (like for example haters say things like its overhyped trash)
Jan 16, 2018 7:05 AM

Aug 2014
Same reason i score 10/10 on "senjou no valkyria" because it means something for me and hit me right were I want it.

Even tough i think gintama is bad and don´t understand the fuss. Have tried.
Jan 16, 2018 7:06 AM

Aug 2017
kirakiii said:
EngravedinDeath said:
At least watch 1/4th of season 1 before coming to you're "Pretty sure".
Jan 16, 2018 7:10 AM

Sep 2017
this is such an obvious bait thread, oh well.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 16, 2018 7:21 AM

Feb 2011
EngravedinDeath said:
Nope, I feel like most of the Gintama scores are right on the mark and The real question is 'Why are Gintama haters so butthurt?'.

Right.

There is one thing most are missing, everyone is talking about gintama fans and why they score how they score, but that isn't the reason for the score, every fan will score high what they like.

The reason for the score is that an high percentage % of all the people who watched Gintama became fans of it. The score isn't about the fans, it's about the % of fans, and Gintama and other high scored shows have high % of fans.
You can't really argue against that. It's a statistical fact.

And it's different from Pingu, pingu managed to stay at the top when only 1000 people were rating it, the highest rated Gintama season has 40913 people rating it 10, over 112570 people who have at least seen part of it, and 54.2% among everyone who has scored it.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jan 16, 2018 8:10 AM

Jun 2009
kisb said:
HotaruKara said:

I didn't actually try to be objective but I didn't try to be biased either. I just said my opinion. And yeah, it would have looked "better" if I didn't say my opinion about SAO. But I would have been dishonest. SAO sucks, no matter how you spin it. It's one of the few anime that actually irritate me. I've seen other mediocre shows but they don't compare to the level SAO irritates me.

Maybe because the first 4 episodes started out good but it all went downhill from there. I guess the huge disappointment I felt was a huge factor in me disliking the anime so much.

You can't say however that SAO is better than Gintama or Attack on Titan unless you're doing it for a meme. No matter how objective one is, putting SAO on the same level with Gintama just doesn't work.

Somehow i feel like you are just talking about yourself when you talk about haters in the community.
Gintama and SAO can be on different levels of quality in your eyes but then the fandom and the haters have very similar qualities (like for example haters say things like its overhyped trash)

I don't see how I can be part of the "hater community" when I'm not even active in it. I never wasted my time to post hate comments about SAO or troll SAO fans. I just said I dislike it but I don't do it actively. There's a big difference disliking something and actually being an active hater, or "anti-fan". You have to take time from your day to do that as well as effort. I don't consider SAO as being deserving of my time.

Nah, it's just your imagination. I was talking about haters and trolls on this thread. As well as those who gave Gintama a score of "1". I wasn't talking about myself.

I'm not hating on "popular" shows just because they're popular without even seeing one episode. Or because it's funny and a nice meme to be contrarian. Like some people on this thread.
Why did you single me out when I was defending Gintama? It's really...weird.

It doesn't matter that SAO is popular, what matters is that SAO is actually bad and it deserves the backlash.
Gintama is both popular and great. I really like it. I liked it since 2009.

Just because a show is popular it doesn't deserve the backlash, especially a good one like Gintama. Or even an okay one like Attack on Titan.
But if a show is both popular and bad, like SAO, it deserves the backlash.

You decided to single me out even though we're on the same side, defending Gintama. This was a waste of both of our time. Maybe choose an actual hater as your next target.
Nice meme tho.
Jan 16, 2018 8:54 AM

Nov 2016
HotaruKara said:
kisb said:

I don't see how I can be part of the "hater community" when I'm not even active in it. I never wasted my time to post hate comments about SAO or troll SAO fans. I just said I dislike it but I don't do it actively. There's a big difference disliking something and actually being an active hater, or "anti-fan". You have to take time from your day to do that as well as effort. I don't consider SAO as being deserving of my time.

Nah, it's just your imagination. I was talking about haters and trolls on this thread. As well as those who gave Gintama a score of "1". I wasn't talking about myself.

I'm not hating on "popular" shows just because they're popular without even seeing one episode. Or because it's funny and a nice meme to be contrarian. Like some people on this thread.
Why did you single me out when I was defending Gintama? It's really...weird.

It doesn't matter that SAO is popular, what matters is that SAO is actually bad and it deserves the backlash.
Gintama is both popular and great. I really like it. I liked it since 2009.

Just because a show is popular it doesn't deserve the backlash, especially a good one like Gintama. Or even an okay one like Attack on Titan.
But if a show is both popular and bad, like SAO, it deserves the backlash.

You decided to single me out even though we're on the same side, defending Gintama. This was a waste of both of our time. Maybe choose an actual hater as your next target.
Nice meme tho.

am not even going to read the whole thing
ill just remind you that your diss towards SAO was that it was a overhyped mediocre trash
overhyped being a word related to popularity is not something you should ignore.
i would say being active in the hater community is calling shows trash and garbage whenever you can.
so you fit perfectly. just embrace it.
when you have some shows u hate and whenever someone bring them up you have the urge to call them trash. yes you in the hater community

You cant say its wrong for people to hate on Gintama for being popular then turn around and call another show overhyped trash. it just does fit. they also think Gintama is overhyped trash
Jan 16, 2018 9:09 AM
Aug 2017
I think gintama deserves it >:] It's such an amazing show >:] one of the best
Jan 16, 2018 9:10 AM

Feb 2017
spacebishijesus said:

took like a day for this thread to come to a reasoned conclusion that wasn't "I enjoyed it", even if it was pretty obvious. gg tho aha

But "I enjoyed it" is a completely reasoned conclusion? Why are you so unwilling to accept the fact that different people have different tastes? That the same characters and humor that made you score it 1 makes others score it 10, because comedy is subjective?

Sure the length and MAL's rules play their part, but if they were the guiding force then all long runners should have scores similarly inflated to 8 or 8.5 or whatever.

Are you really that desperate to have your tastes validated by online strangers that you're digging this deep to find out why others like a show you don't?
"Dirty, money-grubbing Clorfors. Tried to clorf me right out of my money. Blew those little bastards up is what I did!"
Jan 16, 2018 9:11 AM

Jan 2017
So apparently I should give my favourite anime ever 5/10 because mal users are triggered that their fav animu is lower than Gintama ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 16, 2018 9:12 AM

Jun 2009
Turtles_Hunter said:
HotaruKara said:

I understand your point of view. And yes, I know the SAO hate wave, I've been part of the anime community for more than 10 years now, so of course I know.

The difference between SAO and Gintama is that Gintama is actually good and SAO is overhyped mediocre trash.

I've been one of SAO's "haters" (more like I find the show to be really bad). But I didn't actively waste my life hating on it. I have better things to do. I just say it's trash and then go on my way.

But for some people hating on a show it's a way of life. Like being part of a fandom it's a way of life, it seems a new form of "community" has been formed. The anti-fans, the anti-fandom of something.
These are just kids (or even adults with no lives) that don't have anything better to do but to actively hate on something.

I understand that when something gets popular people start hating on it even if they haven't actually seen it, like what happened with Rick & Morty.
But even if I dislike part of Rick & Morty's fandom, I still enjoy the show and tune out the overzealous fans. I stay away from the fandom.
But I don't hate on it blindly like the sheeple just because it got very popular.

The same was with Attack on Titan back in 2013. I was annoyed by its popularity and the overzealous fans so I stayed away from the fandom. But I still enjoyed the anime. I tried to separate it from its fans.

But it still was overwhelming so I put the anime on-hold and waited for the popularity wave to fade away. It helped that the second season aired 4 years later and the erratic behaviour died out considerably.

So you can't compare actually great anime like Gintama or even okay anime like Attack on Titan with trash like SAO.
You see, you also doing it. Let's be clear I'm not saying Gintama is bad or whatever, it's just no my thing. I tried and didn't like it. As said earlier on this thread, it's the typical hit or miss show, like a lot of comedy shows. But there you are coming to say "But no, it's not the same, Gintama is actually super good". That's why people are getting annoyed. whatever you say about the show, even if they stay correct in what they say, there is always someone to come and say you're just wrong. Whatever the actual quality of the thing, it's the exact same thing than with SAO or Logh. Especially the later one.

Everyone has their own opinion. If people want to say Gintama is trash, that's their opinion. If people say SAO is actually a great show, that's their opinion.
I have my own opinion as well.
Everyone has different taste, who could have guessed.

For the anime community at large tho, Gintama is a good show while SAO is bad. That's all I'm going to say.
Jan 16, 2018 9:23 AM

Nov 2008
EngravedinDeath said:
kirakiii said:

@kirakii

I'M DYING OF LAUGHTER!! I'M NOT THE RETARD WHO CONFUSES "YOUR" AND "YOU'RE". YOU LEARN THAT SHIT IN SECOND GRADE. THE ONE WHO NEEDS HELP IS YOU. CONGRATS, MORON. :D
The irony is so beautiful.

And there is nothing "intellectual" about constant dick jokes. Do not gimme that bullshit lol

Jan 16, 2018 9:41 AM

Aug 2017
Chiibi said:
EngravedinDeath said:

@kirakii

I'M DYING OF LAUGHTER!! I'M NOT THE RETARD WHO CONFUSES "YOUR" AND "YOU'RE". YOU LEARN THAT SHIT IN SECOND GRADE. THE ONE WHO NEEDS HELP IS YOU. CONGRATS, MORON. :D

And there is nothing "intellectual" about constant dick jokes. Do not gimme that bullshit lol
lol, I see you have accomplished wonders by finding out one of my grammar mistakes, Go celebrate this for the rest of your life
Jan 16, 2018 9:42 AM
Dec 2017
EngravedinDeath said:
kirakiii said:
pretty sure gintama isn't an intellectual anime
25 eps with 50% retarded humor is enough to prove that
Jan 16, 2018 10:00 AM

Nov 2008
EngravedinDeath said:
Chiibi said:

@kirakii

lol, I see you have accomplished wonders by finding out one of my grammar mistakes, Go celebrate this for the rest of your life

I shall, thank you.

@kirakii: Exactly. I feel like I'm watching Family Guy with anime characters. But it's easier to just turn on the TV than to seek out specific anime series, so I'll take Family Guy over Gintama. lol

Jan 16, 2018 10:02 AM

Mar 2014
I'm almost glad this is the final season so people won't make retarded threads like this anymore.
Jan 16, 2018 10:11 AM

Jun 2011
why wouldnt i give a good score to one of the funniest shows in all of anime?
Jan 16, 2018 10:31 AM

Nov 2016
Haters are cancer to the community
Hating on something because people love it or its popular.....
all haters should be hanged
Jan 16, 2018 10:40 AM

Nov 2008
kisb said:

No no, people are free to love and hate whatever they want.

Harassing others about it is what needs to stop. I don't like the show but I won't chew out fans who do. I won't go to their profile and leave nasty comments.

Others are not as mature as me. :/

Btw, I'm pretty immature already.
ChiibiJan 16, 2018 11:17 AM

Jan 16, 2018 11:15 AM

Jun 2009
kisb said:

Comment of the year.
10/10 amazing story
Jan 16, 2018 11:42 AM
May 2017
Detective1412 said:
You can just ignore them. Just don't care. It's simple.

I don't care and I do ignore them. That doesn't mean I can ask questions? To be complacent or passive is to be weak.
Jan 16, 2018 11:43 AM
May 2017
kisb said:

you truly are the epitome of ignorance. People like you make me dislike Gintama, not the show. Perhaps if you and fellow fanboys weren't as toxic as you are your fanbase would have better rep and more people would watch your show.
Jan 16, 2018 11:46 AM
May 2017
_alpha-q_ said:
spacebishijesus said:

But "I enjoyed it" is a completely reasoned conclusion? Why are you so unwilling to accept the fact that different people have different tastes? That the same characters and humor that made you score it 1 makes others score it 10, because comedy is subjective?

can't you read? I didn't say that "But "I enjoyed it" is a completely reasoned conclusion?
Sure the length and MAL's rules play their part, but if they were the guiding force then all long runners should have scores similarly inflated to 8 or 8.5 or whatever.

Are you really that desperate to have your tastes validated by online strangers that you're digging this deep to find out why others like a show you don't?
_alpha-q_ said:
spacebishijesus said:

Can't you read? I didn't say "I enjoyed it" was not a conclusion as to the scores, I said it took a long time to come to a conclusion that wasn't that. Reason being, if you'd read my post, that I aknowledged this is a legit reason and was looking for any potential other ones.

It doesn't reflect well on you to flame someone when you can't even read.
Jan 16, 2018 12:15 PM

Jul 2013
I think it's a bit problematic that MAL separates every season of Gintama "too well". The blame goes to Nippon though, they should've just paused and continued the anime without creating "new" series every single time.

Gintama': Enchousen could easily be part of Gintama'
Gintama. aired not long after Gintama°
It's like we get a new anime entry for every single arc. I'm a Gintama fan as well, but I do understand that the amount of Gintama in the TOP list becomes frustrating to look at, it's too split up and continues to confuse people who want to start watching it.

People need to just ignore the wall of Gintama and count it only once if they want to see what the "real" TOP 10/25 or whatever looks like. Imo, not every season is also worth a 10/10, especially the new seasons have less humor, more flashbacks and the story drags on and on (mainly because of flashbacks). Heck, I haven't even watched the 2017 anime yet because of how slow and predictable the story has become.

So yeah, like KevvBTW wrote on the first page, more and more people say that mal scores don't matter.
Jan 16, 2018 12:15 PM

Feb 2017
spacebishijesus said:

Can't you read? I didn't say "I enjoyed it" was not a conclusion as to the scores, I said it took a long time to come to a conclusion that wasn't that. Reason being, if you'd read my post, that I aknowledged this is a legit reason and was looking for any potential other ones.

Can't you read?

Ironic, considering you skipped right over my question of why do you care? Why are you so desperate for a conclusion beyond the obvious (and the majority) one of subjective enjoyment?
Do you think Gintama fans are a hivemind of shit taste or something? because we are

Look, I didn't and don't mean to flame you or anything. If you are really looking to get into Gintama and understand its appeal, I can PM you why it's my favorite anime, but again it's gonna be a subjective list mostly involving enjoying its style of humor and characters.
If this is just another "reee this is garbage why is it in the top ten" I have better things to waste time on.
"Dirty, money-grubbing Clorfors. Tried to clorf me right out of my money. Blew those little bastards up is what I did!"
Jan 16, 2018 12:17 PM

Jul 2016
The short answer is that I honestly think Gintama is a great anime and one of the only long shonen to get a decent anime adaption.

Gintama slowly builds up into a good battle shonen. The comedy arcs help make the series feel organic. Just like in the real world the events happening around you don't always feel like they are building towards something. As I watched the series the characters slowly started to grow on me. I noticed a shifting political environment that has led to many climaxes in battle arcs. If you havn't been drawn in by the premise and characters of the show I don't except you to stick with the series. It's not for everyone.
Jan 16, 2018 12:27 PM

Nov 2016
spacebishijesus said:
kisb said:

you truly are the epitome of ignorance. People like you make me dislike Gintama, not the show. Perhaps if you and fellow fanboys weren't as toxic as you are your fanbase would have better rep and more people would watch your show.

Hating on stuff doesnt make you cool bro.

It just makes you grumpy Oscar the grouch
Going like ugghhh people love Christmas. look at everybody happy. i hate Christmas
Jan 16, 2018 12:34 PM

Nov 2007
HotaruKara said:
For the anime community at large tho, Gintama is a good show while SAO is bad. That's all I'm going to say.

I didn't want to get into the SAO thing in a Gintama thread because SAO literally was so bad that I couldn't bring myself to see how I could find an anime that was the most self-inserting anime in decades to be enjoyable.

And for all the wrong reasons. Kirito as a protagonist had everything that I disliked in a protagonist. The same reason why I couldn't bring myself to finish Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei which I placed on hold for indefinite amount of days now. Will I ever get back to that anime as well? I dunno. Maybe it will eventually go to my ever growing list of dropped anime. But let's not go to Mahouka Koukou.

I have noticed that majority of the SAO diehard fans are either really new to anime or haven't explored all the genres in anime. I am sure if SAO was one of first 10-20 anime, I would ogle all over it. But unfortunately for me, I had seen my fair share of anime so I could neither objectively nor subjectively rate it any higher than I did.

Even though I found the characters, which are the most importing thing for me in anime, are trashy, especially Kirito and his harem (mind it they fall head over heels for him for apparent no reason whatsoever), and killing off the only character I found admirable in the beginning, who was initially shown as a strong-willed girl and worthy of my interest a.k.a Asuna to a damsel in distress, trashy waifu of a shallow of a character like Kirito was enough to give the anime a 1/10 for having wasted so much of my time on it, yet I gave the anime a 4/10 because despite everything that is said, I couldn't ignore the initial promise it showed, the clean art, excellent background images and original soundtrack and such which at least warranted "something" for it.

You can only give an anime a 1/10 if it's say for example something like Mars of Destruction or something.

I cannot even bring myself to understand how some people are justifying that Saiki S2 (an anime I've never seen), Violet Evergarden (an anime I really liked just on episode 1 alone), Darling in the FranXX (an anime I thought was average at best) or Nanatsu no Taizai S2 (an anime I eventually plan to see) getting barrages of 1/10s and they deserve those scores to "balance out" the 10/10s. Like the F*CK?!

Gintama will remain one of my best decisions as an anime fan. And I thank the MAL community as a whole to make me experience it. If it never got that high score, I would probably not have seen it ever, having not so pleasant experience with Bleach as a long running shounen in the past. I lost interest in Shingeki no Kyojin midway the second season. I lost interest in One Piece after watching more than 50 episodes. I don't see that happening with me for Gintama. If anything, I am more invested in it than any other anime. I am sure majority of the Gintama fans feel that way. I am sure majority of One Piece, Detective Conan or Fairy Tail anime share the same passion for these anime.

Anyone ever cared and stopped for a second to think why Bleach and Naruto, which form the Main Three with One Piece in the industry are never mentioned in 100 greatest anime of the century in polls conducted in Japan but Gintama is? Anyone stopped for a second and think why Sorachi is voted as Japan's most favourite mangaka? If this isn't enough, time to slash this thread.
shanimebibJan 16, 2018 12:38 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 16, 2018 12:37 PM
May 2017
_alpha-q_ said:
spacebishijesus said:

Can't you read?

Ironic, considering you skipped right over my question of why do you care? Why are you so desperate for a conclusion beyond the obvious (and the majority) one of subjective enjoyment?
Do you think Gintama fans are a hivemind of shit taste or something? because we are

Look, I didn't and don't mean to flame you or anything. If you are really looking to get into Gintama and understand its appeal, I can PM you why it's my favorite anime, but again it's gonna be a subjective list mostly involving enjoying its style of humor and characters.
If this is just another "reee this is garbage why is it in the top ten" I have better things to waste time on.

"why do you care"

because I'm interested as to an irregularity on the website.

I'm totally aware that "I enjoyed it" is obvious and is a reason. As I stated previously, in my first post. That you read(?)

""reee this is garbage why is it in the top ten"

This is genuinely not my intent.

My intent, in posting, was to find out
why the scores are like they are

I also wanted to see how people reacted to having a series they like (not even attacked I add) questioned.

The answer to the latter has turned out to be FAR more interesting, albeit incredibly more disappointing.
Jan 16, 2018 12:41 PM

Sep 2017
shanimebib said:

You can only give an anime a 1/10 if it's say for example something like Mars of Destruction or something.

why would anyone give mars of destruction a 1 in the first place?
Edward Elric > your waifu

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

34 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

71 by Rinenka »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 1 hour ago

12 by betaweeb »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that reignited your passion for watching

Cammell - 2 hours ago

10 by Vaixen »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 45 minutes ago

10 by Halqifibrax »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.