Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jan 6, 2018 10:57 AM

Sep 2015
it's mal "everything is overrated"
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Jan 6, 2018 12:00 PM

Jul 2015
Zoce_ said:
_Poochyena_ said:

Aw, but I genuinely thought Trigun was amazing. Cowboy Bebop was eh. It was a show.
I'm not feeling Neon Genesis Evangelion either but I'm only on episode 5.

I think you can't generalize all classics cause they're just shows like anything else and obviously everyone has unique taste. I agree just cause a show is old, that doesnt mean it's necessarily good, but I also agree just cause a show's old it's not necessarily bad.
overrated doesnt mean bad. so these show might be bad or good. it doesnt matter. same with term underrated

Well, underrated compared to what? The current hyped stuff wich reaches 9.3 mean score every season before falling into oblivion? Old shows are rated lower than these, their hype died down decades ago. Compared to Gintama? Old shows are often all bundled into a single entry so no sequel effect.

Without a solid explanation, I'll just dismiss it as another "old anime suck, you nostalgia fags" thread.
Jan 6, 2018 2:03 PM

Apr 2008
Zoce_ said:
like i feel people forgive them because:
1- they are old
2- they were the first of thier kind
3- it influenced a lot of shows
4- so much effort and money were put into them compared to today's shows
.... etc

i have seen many classics. many from 1970's and 1980's.

like i have about 10 people who share similarities to my taste, we almost like the same thing. but when it comes to classics stuff i find them rate those higher than what they deserve.
not just these people, many many people in mal do this as if they feel obligated and dont want to break the hivemind.

but when it comes to stuff that are better, they dont rate it as much the classics.

for me i dont care wether a show was made 3 years aho or now. if it is good, i will rate it accordingly.

the only thing that i ignore when rating or displaying my opinion about those classics is the animation. i dont care if the animation is old or new. what i care about is the story and characters.

what do you think? do you feel the same?

If you want to convince anyone that old series are not as good as newer shows, then make good and strong arguments with examples showing it. Show us why characterization/plot etc. in LoGH, Macross, Eva, etc. is not as good as in newer shows.

No one is going to change their opinion just because you feel that these shows are overrated, but if you have good arguments that show specifically why characterization/plot, etc. is not so good, people may agree with you or may change/reconsider their opinion.

If people do not agree, then you may end up having an interesting discussion if they can present their own counterarguments.

You need to give us examples of newer shows that people do not rate so highly and explain why it is so good and better than the old ones. LoGH does not have good story/characters compared to which series? What exactly makes characters from the newer show better? Why is the plot better in the newer series? etc.
Lain666Jan 7, 2018 2:19 AM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Oct 1, 2018 1:31 AM
Jul 2018
i can count on my fingers how many old anime are overrated compared to anime of today
Oct 1, 2018 1:38 AM

Jul 2015
i extremely agree with the OP... a lot of classics are just plain boring.. or not that good... for example: Akira! the movie may have been classic.. and "ahead of time" but compared it today's standard like Kimi No Nawa or Pantema Inverted.. the movie is plain boring and hardly make sense... so is the case for almost All Gibhli Movies.. they are just boooooring...
Oct 1, 2018 3:23 AM

Sep 2017
Huss said:
ZionPulse said:
I dunno it's hard to tell without giving examples... Oh wait!
fine

logh
macross
trigun
eva
kenshin. if i remember more i will post it in an edit

I dropped logh after 2 episodes because I found myself basically just watching people talking about strategy and lackluster spaceship's beams for 40 mins.
Macross is more engaging for me, but the sakuga quality fluctuate a lot (though it's quite fun to laugh at those bad sakuga). The performance is also quite awkward and the emotion doesn't feel authentic. I rated it a 6.
Oct 1, 2018 8:46 PM

Apr 2015
Take a shot every time anime fans used the word "overrated" without knowing how to properly used it...

Oops! you're probably death by now.
Oct 1, 2018 9:01 PM

Apr 2018
Some are like I can understand cowboy bebop being rated a 8.1 or 8.2 but lol 8.8
It is nothing special same for trigun

But there are more overated anime that aren't old nor classics
Oct 1, 2018 9:12 PM

Oct 2013
Whether the classics are truly overrated or not, there are people who love it. Let's respect that. Dont we all have anime we loved the best despite of everything?
Oct 2, 2018 6:01 AM

Jul 2017
Yeah, classics sure are overrated alright.
Oct 2, 2018 6:08 AM

Jul 2015
Mastergold said:
Take a shot every time anime fans used the word "overrated" without knowing how to properly used it...

Oops! you're probably death by now.
Dude you already had a couple or? (^%

C'mon, raise your fist and yell with me: "OLD ANIME ARE BAD! KIMI NO NA WA IS GOOD!"
Oct 2, 2018 6:14 AM
Jul 2016
The problem is, do you have a problem with that?

They have their own preferences, even you say you and others have similar taste when it comes to specifics you only meet halfway.

I don't think their scoring affects you in overall aspect do they?

Seriously, every media has different target of audience if you didn't find it good then it is not for you as simple as that.

I might sound rude but please do not interpret it that way

What I am meaning to say is there is no such as overrated and underrated in Anime.

Sure if I found an anime that I don't like yet majority likes it fine no problem at all I'll be happy instead that some people find it good, maybe It was just not really my type. Also, I wont complain like this.

Just a friendly advice..... STOP THIS... Its redundant.
MaesciaOct 2, 2018 6:26 AM
Oct 2, 2018 6:28 AM

Sep 2018
>"_ is overrated" threads again
Yawn.
Oct 2, 2018 7:51 AM

Apr 2015

Never!!!! retro anime always wins.
Oct 2, 2018 4:39 PM

Jul 2016
I noticed that we have almost complete opposite taste in anime. I have a few questions for you.

Why the fuck would you watch 201 episodes of Gintama if it was a 1/10?

What is it about your favorite anime that you like?

How old are you?

No, I don't think Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop are overrated. Evangelion is fucking perfect. I wish I could get inside the head of a person who didn't like it because they must see the world in a completely different way than I do.
Oct 2, 2018 6:42 PM

Aug 2013
Huss said:
like i feel people forgive them because:
1- they are old
2- they were the first of thier kind
3- it influenced a lot of shows
4- so much effort and money were put into them compared to today's shows
.... etc

1- The best things of most medium are always the old ones. Movies, books, comic books, etc. The only medium that might be said to still be in constant evolution is music and videogames.

2- Most works what were the first of their kind are not as renowed as you would think, and it's the same with anime. Most old anime that are praised, like NGE or LOGH were not "the first of their kind", they came out very later after those.

3- That might be a reason, but influence is never enough: they ought to be good as well. Akira, both the manga and the movie, is not revered to this day just because it was influential, but because it's still one of the best examples ever produced from their own medium.

4- ...well, yeah? Isn't exactly that the reason why they are so much better than the newer stuff?

Huss said:
but when it comes to classics stuff i find them rate those higher than what they deserve.
not just these people, many many people in mal do this as if they feel obligated and dont want to break the hivemind.

but when it comes to stuff that are better, they dont rate it as much the classics.

Honestly? It just sounds like you don't respect their opinion and think they ought to have the same views as yours.

Edit: lol can't believe I answered to a 9 month old thread.
Satyr_iconOct 2, 2018 7:00 PM
Feb 15, 2020 3:08 PM
Jan 2018
i agree about it. theres so many elitists nowadays and they share the exactly same taste about animes. not just about older animes but about newer ones too

i absolutely hated ashita no joe and i had to drop that shit

but i disagree on some. i loved LoGH from beggining to the end (theres inconsistencies on the animation and direction quality tho. but the characters are so damn fucking good and the narrative is badass) and eva is my favorite anime ever. but i like some and dislike others

elitists dont. they just share the same taste over and over again. thats just dull

Here some list from classic animes that i think are overrated:

Ashita no Joe

Nausica of the valley of Wind

Ghost in the shell S.A.C (its considered a classic nowadays)

The utena movie

Cowboy bebop (i agree its great tho, but no it isnt the best thing ever)

and "newer" anime like ergo proxy, shinsekai yori or that crappy Higurashi

Feb 15, 2020 4:19 PM

May 2018
Jrdotan said:

Ashita no Joe

Never heard this being called an elitist title. Yes, retro fans love it but not the same thing as elitists.
Personally I am skipping it because I don't like melodrama and/or sport (which in anime means even more melodrama not real sport story).

Jrdotan said:

Nausica of the valley of Wind

I agree, it's visually very dated. Miyazakii has older stuff that looks way way better. I think people are loving it for it's environmental and anti-war messages...or something.

Jrdotan said:

Ghost in the shell S.A.C (its considered a classic nowadays)

I disagree - it's an absolutely great show...just runs out of steam in its second season. I like it better than the first GITS movie and obviously better than Arise.

Jrdotan said:

Cowboy bebop (i agree its great tho, but no it isnt the best thing ever)

I think very few people call it "best thing ever".

Jrdotan said:

and "newer" anime like ergo proxy, shinsekai yori or that crappy Higurashi

Agree about the first and the last.
Never watched the middle.
Feb 16, 2020 3:26 AM

Apr 2011
Pretty much the opposite. Many modern "classics" are overrated.
Feb 16, 2020 3:32 AM
May 2018
It all depends on how something resonates with a person.

But in general, nothing is ever THAT good.
Feb 16, 2020 6:51 AM

Aug 2016
for something to even be considered a classic it has to be older, but thats just my opinion.
Feb 16, 2020 6:56 AM

Mar 2015
true, people sometimes think just because something is old and a classic, then it deserves a high rating.

yeehaw
Feb 19, 2020 8:27 AM
Feb 2019
cowboy bebop is heavily overrated.
Feb 19, 2020 8:31 AM

Jun 2019
I was with you when you said EVA, which is a disgustingly overrated mecha anime, only remembered for it's purposely yet uselessly cryptic final 5 or so episodes.

Then you lost me when you said Kenshin, which to this day is still a measuring stick for shounen anime.

Feb 19, 2020 8:41 AM

May 2018
Dunno, maybe VHS nostalgia, or that so-salled "soul", which is kinda rare nowadays.
Those old anime with no doubt can be too simple, too silly, or even stupid and illogical, but they still have soul. And as the main purpose of any show is enjoyment, those flaws can easily be forgiven.
As for me, I do love most of the old classics, but I don't accept Evangelion and anything from Miyazaki. I consider them overrated (but still passable though)
Nemo_NiemandFeb 19, 2020 8:50 AM

Feb 19, 2020 10:03 AM
Oct 2012
Just saw OP's anime list, gave me eye cancer.
Learn how to rate anime you have completed before making shitty topics.
Feb 19, 2020 10:04 AM
Dec 2019
I feel that it's just people trying to excuse opinions they feel dissonance for. As if something needs to be defended by saying it was good for it's time or attacked because it seems dated now. It's like they want people to think they like the best of things, so when they like/dislike something that isn't up to snuff by present standards they excuse themselves for liking/disliking it by saying they appreciate it in a different context. I've always liked movies from the 80's, I still do, more so most of the time than recent releases. It's not nostalgia, I wasn't alive back then and am still finding new old movies to enjoy, it's just what I enjoy.

It is what it is and what's enjoyment anyway?
Feb 19, 2020 10:05 AM

Dec 2015
->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Watched 110 shows, think he have seen it all and know it all. Nice one.

Feb 19, 2020 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
Only a fraction of the old classics is available via English fansubs or licenses compared to other languages like French, Italian and Spanish, so unless they cover more, such statements are void
Feb 19, 2020 10:45 AM

Oct 2012
Why doesn't everyone just agree with all my opinions am I right fellas?
Feb 19, 2020 11:14 AM

Jun 2017
Popular anime are overrated anyway, doesn't matter it's old or new
Feb 19, 2020 12:17 PM

Oct 2018
Thread Locked

Pretty much turned into a Underrated/Overrated thread. If you wish to discuss whether shows or overrated or not, please use the dedicated thread
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - May 4

38 by SgtBateMan »»
46 seconds ago

» which anime character resonates with you the most? to be specific, who's your "literally me" anime character?

FruitPunchBaka - 2 hours ago

14 by LNW_R92CP »»
4 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ?

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

47 by laymey »»
5 minutes ago

» Why so much hate for Sousou no Frieren?

Gashadokur0 - 19 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

» Spoiled by the algorithm

zaako - 3 hours ago

8 by Tsunamii_ »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.