Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 8, 2017 5:12 PM

Apr 2016
awesome, Carrot's new form looks exactly as cool as I would hope!
I really do feel convinced that Carrot may be the next crew member (along with Jimbei)
I guess we'll see, but I'm really really loving this!
Dec 8, 2017 6:30 PM

Nov 2009
Great chapter. Carrot for new nakama please.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Dec 8, 2017 7:10 PM

Nov 2008
For some reason, Carrot's little smile in the last panel had the feeling of a Flag for me...
Dec 8, 2017 7:25 PM

Aug 2014
That means her eyes is more or less like this right? Just need to change the yellow pupil to red, glad to see more demon eyes :D

Dec 8, 2017 8:37 PM

Feb 2017
Ceylone Carrot looks nice. Wonder what she's going to do.
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
Dec 8, 2017 9:49 PM

Aug 2011
Ok next, Carrot will join SWP and Chopper will make a medicine that makes minks hallucinate in seeing the full moon.

OOOORRRRRRR

Enel went down from the Moon to Zou caring moon stones and once minks touch it they transform.
daime17Dec 8, 2017 11:26 PM
Dec 9, 2017 2:10 AM

Sep 2014
Holy shit Carrot *A* , even if it was a short chapter that made up for it.
Dec 9, 2017 2:48 AM
Jan 2014
NerfHerderEX said:
Nobody wants to acknowledge it, but those talking cannonballs are slowly drowning to death as they sink to the bottom of the sea...

I came here for the fun, instead I got feels. Why u do dis?
Dec 9, 2017 3:00 AM
Jan 2014
daime17 said:
Ok next, Carrot will join SWP and Chopper will make a medicine that makes minks hallucinate in seeing the full moon.

OOOORRRRRRR

Enel went down from the Moon to Zou caring moon stones and once minks touch it they transform.

I like your way of thinking.

The part mentioning Big Mum getting thinner ... now imagine if Luffy would come out of Mirror World after beating Katakuri, all tired and hungry ... snitching the second wedding cake JUST before Big Mum gets to eat it. That would be so him and she would explode out of anger.
Dec 9, 2017 1:51 PM

Jun 2009
I so hope we get to see a transformed Bepo!
Dec 9, 2017 9:52 PM

Jul 2014
Two nakamas for this arc pls.
Dec 10, 2017 10:18 AM

Apr 2010
Girls on their period are always savage....!!!
Dec 10, 2017 1:32 PM
Mar 2014
I agree with everyone else. Carrot’s transformation was excellent and not what I was expecting at all. She looked very majestic and mythical at the same time. I seriously hope in the upcoming Wano Arc, we get to see the transformed versions of Wanda, Inuarashi, Nekomamushi, Sicilian, etc.

I was always on the Jimbe & Carrot joining bandwagon & this transformation further seals it for me. I wonder if Chopper can create a rumble ball that can help the minks go into that form without moonlight, or maybe Franky can create some technology that could accomplish this,(maybe a collaboration between the two)?

Also, another thought. Imagine Carrot in her transformed form, combined with the Logia powers of the Yuki Yuki no Mi. That would be fun,(and would provide a powerful fighter/Nakama/ally for the Strawhat as they take on the rest of the Yonko).
Dec 11, 2017 12:10 PM

Jun 2008
That is an awesome power-up and all and the crew of the future pirate king certainly needs an awesome powerful seaman helmsman that knows the see best like Jinbei and a speedy electric beast like Carrot BUT if she can only turn to this once a month then that is not very helpful. Chopper has to make a special pill for her so she can do it at any time. Also what is the chance that Chopper may be a Mink instead of a normal animal eating an ability fruit.

DragonFireKing said:
Carrot has to join the crew now. Also I think this chapter might be hinting at a weakness for Big Mom. As Perospero noted she does look a little thinner maybe if she goes on her rampages too long she eventually waste away to nothing.

Yeah i was really wondering about that. that line must be pointing to something.
Dec 11, 2017 1:03 PM

Jun 2015
[insert saiyajin joke here]
I love how Carrot lampshaded how useless she was up to now.
Dec 11, 2017 2:01 PM
Oct 2013
TrashDax said:
I love how Carrot lampshaded how useless she was up to now.

Depends solely on your definition of the word useless. Comparetively to her screentime she was quite helpful to the Strawhat crew.

I don´t buy into the whole powerscaling bullshit, because it´s a Shounen Manga and the characters will always be exactly as strong as they need to be or overwhelmingly stronger to showcase how awesome they are. Without her power up Carrot had utilitarian purposes, with it, read explanation above.

Aside from a cool display of her powers there was nothing in this chapter, which frankly was enough.
Dec 11, 2017 7:16 PM

Oct 2010
This chapter actually had a lot of stuff to think about. What is Luffy doing? He is not using his G4 form and according to Katakuri he acts erratic... I'd say he's trying to figure out a way to win and proving Katakuri's haki in the meanwhile. That could be something.

The whole thing about Big Mom losing her powers during the rage fit was convenient but sort of logical and expected, and I'm very intrigued about her slimmed down form, if it will affect her in some way.

But the highlight was Carrot. The transformation was great, and actually very in character: it looked like one of her drawings, and in parallel with her own words and growth in the arc, a more mature form. Props to Oda for not oversexualizing her full moon form by the way, that will be Toei's job. It's interesting that this power-up fits her so well aesthetically, thematically and in terms of power. Makes me believe that every mink will have a different transformation according to their feats or the stuff they identify with. Looking forward to it.

This chapter did a lot to push Carrot as a potential crewmate, not only because of the power-up and its amazing display but also due to everything that happens with her before. From her "I promise I'll be useful" phrase that holds a deeper meaning when you realize that the first thing Carrot told Pedro when she snuck aboard the Sunny was that she wouldn't be a nuisance, to her talk about Pedro where it is obvious how much she adores him and how much of an example and a motivational boost he is for her. Oda keeps expanding the character and making sense of these little moments and reactions he's given her through the arc. This chapter is the culmination of Pedro's death event, and is the definitive proof that Carrot has grown in the arc, and that she is ready to carry his will. The symbolic meaning that having a grown-up, more confident-looking version of herself in full moon mode implies only further emphasizes this.

The power-up may be temporary, but everything that surrounds it, from her choice of words, to her decision, to the form itself further solidifies her own character arc and defines her progression and potential. At this point, if we count Jinbe as a crewmate (I do), Carrot is simply the most solid unconfirmed nakama candidate the series has ever had. It's crazy how much she fits in every scheme.
Dec 12, 2017 1:02 AM

Feb 2016
Dec 12, 2017 4:16 AM

Jul 2009
WOOOOH!
Oda sensai! Please! make her a Straw Hat member! Please!!!
Thank you!
Nothing in this world lasts forever, and it´s time you accept that.
It's better to not cling to these things that you will eventually lose.
Dec 12, 2017 5:00 AM
Oct 2013
Kja95 said:
Is it going to be a Break or not for the rest of the year ????

It´s not for sure, but we may get one last chapter and then next year after the holidays are over we get the next one.
Dec 12, 2017 5:46 AM
Oct 2013
jal90 said:
This chapter actually had a lot of stuff to think about. What is Luffy doing? He is not using his G4 form and according to Katakuri he acts erratic... I'd say he's trying to figure out a way to win and proving Katakuri's haki in the meanwhile. That could be something.

You bring up some interesting points, but here is my retort.
Luffy isn´t the smartest character and Oda usually outright tells us his simple minded intetions.Luffy claimed how his plan is to wear out Katakuri´s future vision because everything including Haki is limited. Obviously when the tactic is to exhaust the enemy the smartes choice not to assert ones own abilities to store fuel. Furthermore, last chapter he exlaimed his intention for the awakening of his own future vision.
Two plans both openly communicated, there´s nothing to think about.

jal90 said:

The whole thing about Big Mom losing her powers during the rage fit was convenient but sort of logical and expected, and I'm very intrigued about her slimmed down form, if it will affect her in some way.

It might as well be just a comedic gimmick, like Oda does with all of his charcters. I don´t want to be dismissive of the possibilities, but the One Piece fandom has the tendency to come up with exciting ideas and conclusions to every red herring Oda sets up no matter how miniscule. Maybe you´re onto something but 90% it´s just a joke.

jal90 said:

But the highlight was Carrot. The transformation was great, and actually very in character: it looked like one of her drawings, and in parallel with her own words and growth in the arc, a more mature form. Props to Oda for not oversexualizing her full moon form by the way, that will be Toei's job. It's interesting that this power-up fits her so well aesthetically, thematically and in terms of power. Makes me believe that every mink will have a different transformationaccording to their feats or the stuff they identify with. Looking forward to it.

I agree with anything but the bold part.
Carrot is comparetively a major character, at least for this arc.
Carrot as everyone at this point mentioned is probably going to become a Strawhat crewmember. For a multitude of reasons,I rather not elaborate right now. We agree on most anyway. This puts her in a special position. I assume, that some of the minks, like the two leaders and Wanda will have somewhat unique transformations, If we get to see them , but considering that Oda has only a limited timespan he can elaborate on the Manga I don´t see him putting out hundreds of unique transformations.
This has been actually a complaint about awakening by a few people.
People consider it pretty boring if every paramecia awakening consists of manipulating the environment and every Zoan awakening consists of increased stamina & regeneration. But this seems to be the case and I don´t see it being any different for the "Su Long" transformation.

An example against my claim would be this panel:

One of my favorite Oda artworks. The detail is magnificent and each of the 9 Mermaids has a different design. However the saying "exceptions confirm the rule" exists for a reason. And the reason why this artwork is so good is because Oda doesn´t draw something like this too often. Imo at best we could expect a groupshot with the prominent minks and everyone else will follow a theme, like all dog minks get the same features added, while all cat minks get the same upgrade and so on.

jal90 said:

This chapter did a lot to push Carrot as a potential crewmate, not only because of the power-up and its amazing display but also due to everything that happens with her before. From her "I promise I'll be useful" phrase that holds a deeper meaning when you realize that the first thing Carrot told Pedro when she snuck aboard the Sunny was that she wouldn't be a nuisance, to her talk about Pedro where it is obvious how much she adores him and how much of an example and a motivational boost he is for her. Oda keeps expanding the character and making sense of these little moments and reactions he's given her through the arc. This chapter is the culmination of Pedro's death event, and is the definitive proof that Carrot has grown in the arc, and that she is ready to carry his will. The symbolic meaning that having a grown-up, more confident-looking version of herself in full moon mode implies only further emphasizes this.

The power-up may be temporary, but everything that surrounds it, from her choice of words, to her decision, to the form itself further solidifies her own character arc and defines her progression and potential. At this point, if we count Jinbe as a crewmate (I do), Carrot is simply the most solid unconfirmed nakama candidate the series has ever had. It's crazy how much she fits in every scheme.

You make a few good points, but many others including me considered Carrot the moment she snuck on the ship a future crewmember.

1. She fullfills a diversity quota.
2. She is a female the crew is lacking, Oda can use her for fanservice (not just sexual) in a multitude of ways.
3. She´s a competent fighter, something that was a requirement for the New World.
4. She has a dream.
5.She can fullfill a profession on the ship as a scout since her ability in that regard is superior compared to everyone elses.
6.She doesn´t have a sad past, but only the guys had their sad backstory revealed before joining the crew. The girls had the opposite treatment.
Both Nami and Robin were crewmembers and then got an arc centered around their cruel pasts. Pedro dying doesn´t have to fullfill that purpose to keep with the Strawhat theme. It wouldn´t anyway since it´s not a flashback. Every other Strawhat except Luffy had their Trauma in flashbackland.

Ever since Oda included her in the arc, he made it consistently clear that he enjoys that character and gave her prominence. Unlike the Dressrosa thirst for a new crewmember Carrot was always alluded to join them. It´s just at the point where it´s basicly confirmed.

I can actually see the discussion going like this:
C:Luffy may I join your crew, I want to see the world?
L: Why aren´t you already a member?

*Banquet scene*
IsterioDec 12, 2017 6:05 AM
Dec 12, 2017 7:08 AM

Oct 2010
Isterio said:
jal90 said:

You bring up some interesting points, but here is my retort.
Luffy isn´t the smartest character and Oda usually outright tells us his simple minded intetions.Luffy claimed how his plan is to wear out Katakuri´s future vision because everything including Haki is limited. Obviously when the tactic is to exhaust the enemy the smartes choice not to assert ones own abilities to store fuel. Furthermore, last chapter he exlaimed his intention for the awakening of his own future vision.
Two plans both openly communicated, there´s nothing to think about.

True, but take into account a couple things:

1. Luffy is not smart, but he is (portrayed as) battle smart. In fact he has been thinking of the way to surpass Katakuri all this time. It makes sense that he takes his time to find a way to win.
2. The pacing anyway sort of favors this interpretation. Just two pages. Oda tends to say things straight, but he also likes teasing with ambiguous situations that will be further answered and expanded later. A following chapter could very well be him explaining what is Luffy doing here and what is he trying to accomplish.

Isterio said:
jal90 said:

It might as well be just a comedic gimmick, like Oda does with all of his charcters. I don´t want to be dismissive of the possibilities, but the One Piece fandom has the tendency to come up with exciting ideas and conclusions to every red herring Oda sets up no matter how miniscule. Maybe you´re onto something but 90% it´s just a joke.

Ah, I can see your point, but even as a joke, I kind of want to see it =D

Isterio said:
jal90 said:

But the highlight was Carrot. The transformation was great, and actually very in character: it looked like one of her drawings, and in parallel with her own words and growth in the arc, a more mature form. Props to Oda for not oversexualizing her full moon form by the way, that will be Toei's job. It's interesting that this power-up fits her so well aesthetically, thematically and in terms of power. Makes me believe that every mink will have a different transformationaccording to their feats or the stuff they identify with. Looking forward to it.

I agree with anything but the bold part.
Carrot is comparetively a major character, at least for this arc.
Carrot as everyone at this point mentioned is probably going to become a Strawhat crewmember. For a multitude of reasons,I rather not elaborate right now. We agree on most anyway. This puts her in a special position. I assume, that some of the minks, like the two leaders and Wanda will have somewhat unique transformations, If we get to see them , but considering that Oda has only a limited timespan he can elaborate on the Manga I don´t see him putting out hundreds of unique transformations.
This has been actually a complaint about awakening by a few people.
People consider it pretty boring if every paramecia awakening consists of manipulating the environment and every Zoan awakening consists of increased stamina & regeneration. But this seems to be the case and I don´t see it being any different for the "Su Long" transformation.

An example against my claim would be this panel:

One of my favorite Oda artworks. The detail is magnificent and each of the 9 Mermaids has a different design. However the saying "exceptions confirm the rule" exists for a reason. And the reason why this artwork is so good is because Oda doesn´t draw something like this too often. Imo at best we could expect a groupshot with the prominent minks and everyone else will follow a theme, like all dog minks get the same features added, while all cat minks get the same upgrade and so on.

I also expect only the most prominent minks (mainly Inuarashi and Nekomamushi, Wanda and the top Guardians and Musketeers perhaps, also probably Pekoms and who knows if Bepo) to have their form featured or at least emphasized. It's not that I expect Oda giving focus to a hundred new forms, but I do think that at least for a few of the above mentioned he will go with unique sulongs that match their character and current feats. Of course this is speculation, it could very well be that Carrot's sulong is just the standard transformation, but it is kind of hard to believe to me when it fits her specific traits so well.

As for making different kinds or just clones from each other... From experience with the manga I'd say that Oda is the kind of author who puts character designs quite high in his list of priorities. He obviously has issues with making some characters (females in special) too similar to each other but even with large crowds he seems to have a lot of fun drawing distinct shapes, not to mention the many characters with different designs he introduces in every arc.

Your idea of clans like dog or cat minks following a common theme is cool and quite plausible imo, though.

Isterio said:
You make a few good points, but many others including me considered Carrot the moment she snuck on the ship a future crewmember.

Agreed, actually. I may not have made my point clear here but I talk about further confirmation and solidification of her crewmate options. She has been a very viable option to me ever since she snuck on the ship, and everything the arc has told us about her further cements this. Basically I've been claiming Carrot for nakama for as long as you xD

Isterio said:
1. She fullfills a diversity quota.
2. She is a female the crew is lacking, Oda can use her for fanservice (not just sexual) in a multitude of ways.
3. She´s a competent fighter, something that was a requirement for the New World.
4. She has a dream.
5.She can fullfill a profession on the ship as a scout since her ability in that regard is superior compared to everyone elses.
6.She doesn´t have a sad past, but only the guys had their sad backstory revealed before joining the crew. The girls had the opposite treatment.
Both Nami and Robin were crewmembers and then got an arc centered around their cruel pasts. Pedro dying doesn´t have to fullfill that purpose to keep with the Strawhat theme. It wouldn´t anyway since it´s not a flashback. Every other Strawhat except Luffy had their Trauma in flashbackland.

All good points. I'd like to expand a little on them, however:

1. Agreed and I also think the way she fulfills a diversity quota is quite understated. Being a mink is only the tip of the iceberg: she is a trained warrior, protective and prone to battle, and her fighting style is very distinctly feral, using purely physical attacks (kicking, punching, scratching) + electro. This portrayal is rare enough in the crew, not to mention for a female character.

2. As said just above, being a female character is not the only thing that should be emphasized here. She is a female character who happens to move away from the stereotypical portrayal of female characters in One Piece in quite a lot of ways, both in personality and in the way she fights.

3. Basically because she is a born warrior and has been trained specifically to fight since she was a kid. We don't know yet the extent of her base or full moon power, since Oda hasn't yet shown clear limits to her strength, but even if we did, she is young and has a lot of progression ahead.

4. Two dreams, actually. She wants to explore the world beyond Zou (calling it a Wonderland fully emphasizes her enthusiasm) and, specially after this chapter, she is clearly going to take over Pedro's dream to see the dawn of the mink tribe.

5. Pretty much. In the ship she has been consistently acting as a lookout. This jobs seems fit for her and has been shown a damn lot throughout. I'd also like to point at something tangential but related to this: one of the reasons why we know so much about Carrot's role as a lookout because Oda is devoting a lot of time this arc to showing the crew performing in the ship. It's one of my favorite things of WCI.

6. This is tricky. Carrot does have a sad event that we know of and that she has learned and been inspired from. It just happened hours ago. That's a quite unique sort of past for One Piece standards but it's a past either way and it has shown effects in her personality. With that I'm not saying that she won't have a sad flashback as a kid, because I can think of a few possible storylines and for instance this chapter has hinted a lot at her relationship with Pedro and how it could be further explored. However if it for some reason doesn't happen and Carrot has lived a happy or uneventful childhood, that wouldn't affect her chances at all.

I'd add a few points here that I think help the narrative of her becoming a crewmember:

7. She is in good terms with everybody in the crew and has had distinct interactions with various of them.

8. Character quirks. Carrot has many that make her a lot of fun and a lot of them may have connections to personality traits that have yet to see treated in depth. I remember reading that her drawing style matched very well her own attitude towards the world (a Wonderland!). She is also prone to complimenting people and being nice which could also lead to some potential focus on why she seems to focus so much in making a good impression, likely further emphasizing on why she pronounced that phrase I mentioned earlier: "I promise I'll be useful". This is speculation at this point but I think it makes sense.

9. Character growth. Undeniable at this point. This is where this chapter contributed the most in my opinion. Not to mention that the whole arc has meant development for her in every single scene, either purely from first experience or due to the sudden later events.

Isterio said:
Ever since Oda included her in the arc, he made it consistently clear that he enjoys that character and gave her prominence. Unlike the Dressrosa thirst for a new crewmember Carrot was always alluded to join them. It´s just at the point where it´s basicly confirmed.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Aside from the SHs themselves we've had tons of potential characters who somehow had a nakama vibe, that they could fit in the ship. But none in the level of Carrot. She has consistently brought a scenario where being in the crew is plain and simply the best fit, because no matter what I factor in she has zero real drawbacks and a lot of potential due to her youth and lack of experience, and the dynamic and progressive nature of the character.

Isterio said:

*Banquet scene*

That would be so cute and straightforward. I hope it goes like that.
jal90Dec 12, 2017 8:10 AM
Dec 12, 2017 9:50 AM
Oct 2013
jal90 said:

4. Two dreams, actually. She wants to explore the world beyond Zou (calling it a Wonderland fully emphasizes her enthusiasm) and, specially after this chapter, she is clearly going to take over Pedro's dream to see the dawn of the mink tribe.

5. Pretty much. In the ship she has been consistently acting as a lookout. This jobs seems fit for her and has been shown a damn lot throughout. I'd also like to point at something tangential but related to this: one of the reasons why we know so much about Carrot's role as a lookout because Oda is devoting a lot of time this arc to showing the crew performing in the ship. It's one of my favorite things of WCI.

6. This is tricky. Carrot does have a sad event that we know of and that she has learned and been inspired from. It just happened hours ago. That's a quite unique sort of past for One Piece standards but it's a past either way and it has shown effects in her personality. With that I'm not saying that she won't have a sad flashback as a kid, because I can think of a few possible storylines and for instance this chapter has hinted a lot at her relationship with Pedro and how it could be further explored. However if it for some reason doesn't happen and Carrot has lived a happy or uneventful childhood, that wouldn't affect her chances at all.

I'd add a few points here that I think help the narrative of her becoming a crewmember:

7. She is in good terms with everybody in the crew and has had distinct interactions with various of them.

8. Character quirks. Carrot has many that make her a lot of fun and a lot of them may have connections to personality traits that have yet to see treated in depth. I remember reading that her drawing style matched very well her own attitude towards the world (a Wonderland!). She is also prone to complimenting people and being nice which could also lead to some potential focus on why she seems to focus so much in making a good impression, likely further emphasizing on why she pronounced that phrase I mentioned earlier: "I promise I'll be useful". This is speculation at this point but I think it makes sense.

9. Character growth. Undeniable at this point. This is where this chapter contributed the most in my opinion. Not to mention that the whole arc has meant development for her in every single scene, either purely from first experience or due to the sudden later events.

Isterio said:

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Aside from the SHs themselves we've had tons of potential characters who somehow had a nakama vibe, that they could fit in the ship. But none in the level of Carrot. She has consistently brought a scenario where being in the crew is plain and simply the best fit, because no matter what I factor in she has zero real drawbacks and a lot of potential due to her youth and lack of experience, and the dynamic and progressive nature of the character.

Isterio said:

*Banquet scene*

That would be so cute and straightforward. I hope it goes like that.

I had already a wall of text and I know that we can keep talking about this for several pages, so I cut it short with the details and refered to Oda enjoying writing her, because he´s preparing for the reveal of her joining the cew.

I agree with anything you said about point 1-3 but i also think that Oda is far more pragmatic and simple minded. He didn´t study art as far as I´m aware and in typical Shounen fashion he doesn´t pay much attention to his characters age. After all Battle Shounen characters tend to have the progression of seasoned adults in their verse within months or only a few years, so outside of the youthful curiosity that could define her character regardless I don´t see much purpose in her age, you emphasize alot on.
She could be 10 years older and excused with her heritage (she´s a fantastical species).
Apparently alot of people advocate for another timeskip for One Piece because the discrepancy between the Strawhats and where they need to be is too big to be overcome within the timeframe of a few months, because it´s the top of the world.
It´s Shounen, the One Piece cast consists entirely out of prodigies in their respective area of expertise and shortcuts exist like a "Yuki Yuki no mi" *wink* wink*

Actually if I may tanget a little I´ve taken a look at the Blackbeard Pirates and concluded the matchups they´ll be beaten by. Because all of them represent either a theme or an antithesis they share with the Strawhats.

1. Luffy and Blackbeard is obvious.

2.Shiriu and Zorro is too.

3. Sanji will fight Vasco shot. Sanji is a cook and a kicker. Vasco shot is an alcoholic and probably a drunken fist (that´d be such a missed opportunity, if he isn´t).
I can see him hitting a women and than stepping on food because only alcohol has value to him to have Sanji turn into Super Saiyan.

4.Sanjuan Wolf I had given to Jinbe and after the Wadatsumi fight it makes perfect sense for him to fight a another probably Fishman giant.

5.Van Augur is a Sniper, so he´s going to fight Ussop.

6. Laffitte a well mannered cold blooded killer with a cane, resembling a gentleman on the outside, Brook is a gentleman in both regards with a cane.

7. Jesus Burgess to me is obviously Frankys opponent. His powerlevel isn´t particulary high and they´re both wacky wrestlers.

8. Catarina Devon is described as the most dangerous female pirate and has a sarcastic demeanor, which makes her a contender for Robin to beat and proof her status.

9.Doc Q evil Doctor that kills patients vs Chopper good Doctor that does his job.

10. Avalo Pizarro who is associated with cats, is fashionable and likes money, is Nami´s matchup.

10 members to fight, 1 less than Luffy aimed for during chapter 1.

Except If Aokiji is part of the crew. Then it´s 11 Blackbeard pirates that oppose the 11 Strawhats and Carrot with the Snow Snow fruit + her transformation fights Aokiji´s Ice-Ice fruit, confirming the now widespread Snowbunny theory and giving her a befitting matchup to go against, while fullfilling Luffy´s foreshadowing from chapter 1.
Tangent over.

4. I wouldn´t be so sure about the second dream. This comes more off as an ambition she shares with all the minks. Exploring the wolrd on the other hand is a much more personal desire, unique to her. The moment she´s told that the journey will take multiple days to me was the first indicator that she´d be a Strawhat because both parties would have something to gain from.

5.Well, that´s not everything. He also made it a point to immediately introduce her scouting ability. It´s one of the first things he does and pressumingly better than Wanda at. At the same time that´s a vaccant position in the crew. The same way Jinbe immediately took the vaccant position of Helmsman, while emphasizing how their heritage is benefitial to those positions.

6.While you advertise for Pedro being the tragic catalyst for her development, I simply don´t trust Oda. There have been too many copouts with certain death in this series if it´s not flashbackland. Regardless wether or not the intention within her was awakened though the assumption of his death. On the other hand orphaning carrot, would mirror the other Strawhats formula of the tragic past perfectly. "That one never changes" and Pedro could potentially be retroactively installed as a father figure or a big brother.

7. Moot poiint. She looks cute and all the fans like her!

8. Agreed. Every Strawhat needs some goofy quirk, if not upon introduction like with Zorro or Nami they get one later. On the topic of the drawing style. I think that´s overthinking. Tbh, she´s a girl, she draws in Shojo artstyle, If this was a Slice of life comedy she´d be drawing Yaoi.She´s a furry tomboy, but girly nontheless.
Speculation on why she behaves that way can go either way. Most of the Strawhats have some depth to them. Nami hordes gold because she didn´t have enought for her mother when she died. Food is sacred to Sanji because he nearly starved to death and Chopper gets flustered when praised because he was ostracized when young.
On the other hand you´ve got Zorro´s quirk that´s completely arbitrary. Why is he bad with directions? Cause he needs something to be funny with, lol!

9. With the amounts of screentime she had. she´d better get some development. She´s liked because of that, opposed to the shitty colosseum fighters I´d rather not have in the story altogether. Bartolomeo for Strawhat my ass! (not that he shouldn´t exist but people overreacted).
IsterioDec 12, 2017 3:46 PM
Dec 12, 2017 2:21 PM

May 2015
With how long she will inevitably stick around, assuming Oda will sandwich an arc between WCI and Wano (beyond Reverie), considering she already got a good amount of focus now, she clearly has a way better chance than anyone who exist *at the moment* (beyond the already-joined Jinbe).

But I don't see this arc and the last as enough focus alone, not yet and not now. Every other character not named Robin and Nami - two characters who were intentionally mysterious, and two characters who eventually got their due focus, especially when they're respective arcs came up (Arlong Park and Water 7 - Enies Lobby), got massive amounts of focus right out of the gate (and I mean, Nami was pretty important too honestly). By massive amounts of focus, I mean the arc was *deliberately* tuned around them in particular. They were clearly and blatantly different from everyone else. Robin went from Crocodile's cheerleader, to Luffy's cheerleader to straw-hat crewmember in record time, but because of her ambiguity, that felt like a deliberate exception.

In Zou, the closest to a "respective arc" Carrot has, as a mink, Carrot was outshined by Nekomaushi and Inurashi as *primary characters* - Pekoms had a more proactive role for that matter, and before this one chapter and the Pedro sacrifice, Carrot almost always had shared screentime with Chopper or someone else, not exclusive focus on her own. Not to mention, unlike Nami and Robin, Carrot doesn't really have much to *reveal* - she doesn't appear as very mysterious here.

When it comes to character focus to deliberately distinguish her, she got the chapter Pedro blew up and this one. Comparatively, Jinbe had multiple ones in this arc, saving the straw-hats in the library, resisting Big Mom's soul fruit, steering the wheel away from Big Mom's wave. And that's not including the focus he got in Fishman Island/Impel Down/Marineford. I feel there's a good chance for her in the future, if only for the fact she has to stick around all the way until Wano, an arc of a rather massive scale too. So that's *alot* of time to get more focus. But this last chapter, and the Pedro chapter are so far the only chapters where she got protagonist levels of focus. And when you're only getting a few chapters of massive focus with you at the spotlight, and are usually at most the third-most important character in any other given chapters..that kinda makes you a side character.

She definitely has a better chance than all the coliseum fighters though, Carrot has, admittedly already got way more focus than most the rest of the Minks, and out of all the non-Pedro minks to come, it was Carrot. So that's something, for sure. The fighters, on the other hand, *all* belonged to crews of their own, and were *so* plentiful that it was obvious they would be allies of some sort (though I didn't see just how important of allies that would be),
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Dec 12, 2017 5:21 PM

Oct 2010
All good points brought by you two.

There is a problem with Carrot when this analysis is brought, which is, fundamentally, her own personality and background. When she joined the rescue team she did for her own purposes of finding exciting adventure and knowing about the world beyond Zou. What I mean with it is that her goals as they were stated did not have a chance to define the course of the events. They are personal, and passive.

How do you insert a character like this in the narrative? You give her some focus, but in the end you can't make the storyline about her, because it misses the point of portraying her as somebody who observes, experiences and learns. There has been plenty of that secondary focus in the arc, but you can't make entire chapters about this because it does not advance the story.

I am not claiming either way that she did not need to stand out at some point, but the reasons why she didn't so far are very understandable and have a context, and if we bring comparisons I think we have to take them into account because a lot of this is a huge part of what makes her distinct as a character with a position in the narrative that hasn't had a clear parallel in One Piece, because character conflicts in this show are usually conceived to be proactive (or cause some larger scale events) and not personal and passive. Take into account that the two chapters that have more heavily focused on her as an individual character (878 and 888) come after an event that involves her in a deep emotional level, therefore affecting her and becoming a big catalyst of a more active growth and reaction to her environment. I would expect a lot more primary focus from now on, but that's something we still need to see.
jal90Dec 12, 2017 5:35 PM
Dec 13, 2017 12:30 PM

Mar 2008
Can somebody think of Chooper and his paper in the crew, before adding Carrot to the equation. and even now how hard is for Oda adding new Straw Hats, that are suppouse to be main characters. (this arc dont have Zoro, Usopp, Niko and Franky half of the members, and the history is a mess, with people asking to end the fights)

I doubth that even in the end of these 2 arcs Gimbei is gonna still in the Straw Hat main group.
Dec 13, 2017 12:30 PM

Mar 2008
Can somebody think of Chooper and his paper in the crew, before adding Carrot to the equation. and even now how hard is for Oda adding new Straw Hats, that are suppouse to be main characters. (this arc dont have Zoro, Usopp, Niko and Franky half of the members, and the history is a mess, with people asking to end the fights)

I doubth that even in the end of these 2 arcs Gimbei is gonna still in the Straw Hat main group.
Dec 13, 2017 1:19 PM

Oct 2010
kleinerwolf said:

It's a reasonable doubt when the group becomes larger but I dunno... it is still doable. How many characters with individual storylines and motivations do you have in this arc alone? How many do you expect from Wano with the Straw Hats, the samurai trio and Momonosuke, the minks, the Heart Pirates, the other Supernova, Kaido, the Shogun, Marco and other possible factors (Weevil)? People keep saying that Oda wouldn't be able to focus on a larger crew but he keeps trying these big narratives with multiple individuals factoring in.

As for Chopper in specific: it's fine, because they don't overlap.
Dec 13, 2017 2:37 PM
Oct 2013
jal90 said:
kleinerwolf said:

It's a reasonable doubt when the group becomes larger but I dunno... it is still doable. How many characters with individual storylines and motivations do you have in this arc alone? How many do you expect from Wano with the Straw Hats, the samurai trio and Momonosuke, the minks, the Heart Pirates, the other Supernova, Kaido, the Shogun, Marco and other possible factors (Weevil)? People keep saying that Oda wouldn't be able to focus on a larger crew but he keeps trying these big narratives with multiple individuals factoring in.

I think Dressrosa was an experimental run for this format and Oda admitted that it wasn´t a good decision. Overall, I´m not a fan of splitting the Strawhats for the sake of putting random people into the spotlight I´ll never give a shit about, either.
And to avoid any misunderstandings. No I do give a shit about Inuarashi and Nekomamushi, I like Carrot alot and I am interested to see what happens to the Samurai.
But I preferably have not a hollow attempt at empathy for some random guy that had 2 chapters of screentime because his children watch him die.

It´s shitttier characters like pound that waste precious panel time which could have been dedicated to something fun instead of telling unfunny jokes with them and then calling the few critical fans out in interviews. If Oda doesn´t enjoy writing fights, he should not have chosen that genre and worse not tease them just to pull a Kubo on the audience.
Dec 15, 2017 9:34 PM

May 2015
jal90 said:

There is a problem with Carrot when this analysis is brought, which is, fundamentally, her own personality and background. When she joined the rescue team she did for her own purposes of finding exciting adventure and knowing about the world beyond Zou. What I mean with it is that her goals as they were stated did not have a chance to define the course of the events. They are personal, and passive.

How do you insert a character like this in the narrative? You give her some focus, but in the end you can't make the storyline about her, because it misses the point of portraying her as somebody who observes, experiences and learns. There has been plenty of that secondary focus in the arc, but you can't make entire chapters about this because it does not advance the story.

I am not claiming either way that she did not need to stand out at some point, but the reasons why she didn't so far are very understandable and have a context, and if we bring comparisons I think we have to take them into account because a lot of this is a huge part of what makes her distinct as a character with a position in the narrative that hasn't had a clear parallel in One Piece, because character conflicts in this show are usually conceived to be proactive (or cause some larger scale events) and not personal and passive. Take into account that the two chapters that have more heavily focused on her as an individual character (878 and 888) come after an event that involves her in a deep emotional level, therefore affecting her and becoming a big catalyst of a more active growth and reaction to her environment. I would expect a lot more primary focus from now on, but that's something we still need to see.

Yeah, I don't deny that being passive and observant is an interesting way to approach a character. But that she hasn't actually had a parallel is the point, straw-hats are usually rather..active people. (And yes, Jinbe was quite prominent and active from the get-go)

Robin initially was the obvious exception, she was cold and distant, and didn't really fit. She spent nearly her entire duration before joining as a spectator, she did little to nothing in Alabasta *but* observe. She didn't so much as have any goals beyond the ponelglyphs and *wanted to die*.

But this was all flip-turned in Enies Lobby when it was revealed in a rather significant way, that being distant was all entirely *for others benefit and safety*, and she has been less so distant since. She had an *entire* arc half-dedicated (see: Usopp and Merry) to transforming her into a more proactive person. Yeah, she still much more notably reserved than the other characters, but she's clearly not the Robin of before.

The only *really* passive straw-hat was delibrately given development, that explained why she was the way she was and made her less passive.

Even then, Robin did quite alot in Alabasta to drastically alter the sequence of events.

Feels strange to have a passive straw-hat *without* going the Robin route, a character whose every arc in the series has been progressive development. But it'd be interesting to see a change here.

kleinerwolf said:

A vital role in Impel Down, a vital role in Marineford, *the* vital role in the aftermath of Sabo's flashback, an extremely vital role in Fishman Island *and* WCI. Quite a lot more than two arcs here.
Dec 16, 2017 4:26 AM

Oct 2010
@Isterio I would answer you but to be honest your entire post is a huge [citation needed] that I don't know how to approach.

Also, you are perfectly right to dislike Pound and his use in the storyline but this is old and typical Oda writing and character focus so whatever. I like it so agree to disagree.

@ashfrliebert I am not going to say that Carrot is set for nakama to a point its inequivocal and undeniable, with that I'm 100% in agreement with you, however I think the "passive/active role" standard is kind of unreliable. Remember Brook in Thriller Bark. His storyline and personal motivation ended right in the middle of the arc, after that he was a sidekick to the Straw Hat crew and he didn't have any major motivation to defeat Oars and Moria other than his loyalty and the debt he intended to pay. Unlike other characters whose motivations and emotional reasons have built up the events till the very end of the arc, at one point Brook was fighting for the sake of other people, who clearly had other motivations that didn't involve him personally at all. It was also the first time that the grudge an aspiring Straw Hat member held against the villain wasn't the main emotional focus.

It's complicated to establish a true parallel among the Straw Hats. Heck, you are mentioning Jinbe and isn't Jinbe a major exception in every single way? I bet he is the main reason why people insist on perceiving the idea of an old character joining the crew so plausible, for example with how a lot of people seem to be so into the idea of Vivi joining, which I won't deny it would look cool, but it's the precedent of Jinbe, a character who had his past, ties with Luffy and even with the crew shown years ago and is only now becoming and official crewmate, what strengthens this chance.

If we think about it, actually, the pattern with every Straw Hat that has joined in the Grand Line is very erratic, with Chopper being the one that fits the typical East Blue patterns better. Franky could also be considered a major exception seeing that in neither Water 7 nor in Enies Lobby he was the main catalyst of the narrative. And you mentioned Robin.

The point with all that considered is that Carrot is an anomaly not just among the standards of the Straw Hats but, actually, among the entirety of the One Piece universe. That's why I think this approach with patterns is sort of simplistic and needs to at the very least be doubted. Oda seemed to put more attention on describing her reactions than on describing her actions, which is why at this point, and with her not being a major narrative factor in the course of the storyline, we know so much about her personality, a lot more than we would for a standard ally or a sidekick whose role in the arc is not major or didn't have emotional ties to the island in question to start with. In many ways this character model is unprecedented in the narration of this show. Not that she hasn't been proactive, but her character development as some sort of coming of age had been passive so far. I think the current chapter signifies a major change of focus on this, where her passive growth is driven towards an active role, that was hinted since chapter 877 because now the emotional ties and involvement Carrot has with the scenario are much stronger, and in the end are what push her to fight in her Sulong form.
jal90Dec 16, 2017 4:51 AM
Dec 16, 2017 10:29 AM

Mar 2016
I wasn't expecting the transformation at all I can't believe I underrated her at first shame on me.
Seunghoon my sunflower
Dec 16, 2017 2:33 PM

May 2015
I don't think there are any *rules* to be immediately followed, not exactly..

Robin broke patterns. Jinbe broke patterns. Brook broke patterns. It's just, usually, the thing that always separated every crewmate from the non-crewmate *was* that immediate conflict, they're introduced and given way more focus than everybody else that's not the main character or main antagonist. Brook lost against Ryuma and Zoro eventually was the one who took the victory, but..he still had that immediate conflict that he faced alone. It was also, after all, Brook who found the Zombies salt weakness, too.

The point wasn't that there is a pattern, the point is that Robin was, similarly to Carrot, an observant character, but she still contributed to much bigger moments than Carrot from the getgo. Robin was passive *most of the time*, but she went from inaction to action when Luffy was dying in Alabasta, and Robin made a choice that shifted the entire direction of the arc. She was still a passive and observant character, but she made a rather massive contribution.

*Action*, in this case, isn't necessarily a pattern or rule, it's *distinguishment*. Saving Luffy, laughing on the sidelines at Mizu Luffy, lying about the information on the ponelglpyh to Crocodile.

She didn't really help Crocodile much at all. What separated Robin from her Baroque Work comrades was, in fact, her *lack* of action. Inaction and observation was her distuingishment.

Robin's inaction made a difference because she was on the antagonists side.
Carrot hasn't really had a *moment* where her observations made a huge difference. Beyond sinking the chapter this chapter, which..just seems so much smaller than Robin like..helping defeat the main antagonist after 12 volumes of buildup.

That being said though, I think Franky kinda became more adjustable and comfy for me when he helped defeat CP9 with the straw-hats. As odd and surprising as it was for the non-Paulie guy to become the shipmate instead of, what inititally appeared to be a side antagonist. He was there for the *big moment*.
Dec 16, 2017 6:22 PM
Nov 2017
ashfrliebert said:

Robin broke patterns. Jinbe broke patterns. Brook broke patterns. It's just, usually, the thing that always separated every crewmate from the non-crewmate *was* that immediate conflict, they're introduced and given way more focus than everybody else that's not the main character or main antagonist. Brook lost against Ryuma and Zoro eventually was the one who took the victory, but..he still had that immediate conflict that he faced alone. It was also, after all, Brook who found the Zombies salt weakness, too.

The point wasn't that there is a pattern, the point is that Robin was, similarly to Carrot, an observant character, but she still contributed to much bigger moments than Carrot from the getgo. Robin was passive *most of the time*, but she went from inaction to action when Luffy was dying in Alabasta, and Robin made a choice that shifted the entire direction of the arc. She was still a passive and observant character, but she made a rather massive contribution.

*Action*, in this case, isn't necessarily a pattern or rule, it's *distinguishment*. Saving Luffy, laughing on the sidelines at Mizu Luffy, lying about the information on the ponelglpyh to Crocodile.

She didn't really help Crocodile much at all. What separated Robin from her Baroque Work comrades was, in fact, her *lack* of action. Inaction and observation was her distuingishment.

Carrot hasn't really had a *moment* where her observations made a huge difference. Beyond sinking the chapter this chapter, which..just seems so much smaller than Robin like..helping defeat the main antagonist after 12 volumes of buildup.

That being said though, I think Franky kinda became more adjustable and comfy for me when he helped defeat CP9 with the straw-hats. As odd and surprising as it was for the non-Paulie guy to become the shipmate instead of, what inititally appeared to be a side antagonist. He was there for the *big moment*.

I have a couple questions.

How do you not equate this chapter as a big moment as you do with Robin/ Franky Re: cp9?

Do you not agree that she has now made herself highlighted to the big mom crew? I mean she may end up in a 1v1 fight next chapter...

Do you not believe that after having a spotlight moment in the confrontation with a Yonko will see that she gains a bounty? Wouldn't this than mirror Frankie's departure? (Helped fight main enemy in the arc, gains bounty due to it, therefore needs to stay with the crew for their safety and the homeland's safety), to me it seems more and more evident that she has no other option.
Dec 17, 2017 7:04 AM

Oct 2010
ashfrliebert said:

And yet that conflict was finished way before the arc reached its climax. Even him finding out about the zombies' salt weakness didn't hold a chance against Oars and Moria.

ashfrliebert said:

Because Carrot is not a passive character. Carrot has passive motivations and growth, but she is actually a very active character in the storyline of Whole Cake, both in actions and in intentions. It's a different approach from Robin for starters because all Robin seemed to be into was observing and letting things flow, with her occasional help to Luffy out of her own personal and unexplained (at the time at least) reasons.

ashfrliebert said:

You are mixing stuff that is very radically different here, both passive and active moments. If you count "laughing on the sidelines at Mizu Luffy" you may as well count Carrot's thoughts in awe when she hears Chiffon's story, her entire Wonderland speech for that matter or the many reactions she's had through the arc to stuff that happens.

ashfrliebert said:

But I agree with this. Still:

ashfrliebert said:

As said, Carrot is NOT defined by her inaction. When Reiju boarded the ship she intended to attack, whenever the Straw Hats have tried to pull a fight she has been the first, and whenever a plan has been set she has followed it enthusiastically. It's not in her character to stay inactive and uninvolved with the events. That is a huge difference of focus from Robin's case. You can say that she is somewhat observant as well but the balance of observant and active Carrot is completely different from the balance of observant and active Robin. It's that distinction what I aim for when I say that Carrot doesn't have a clear precedent in the manga.

Heck, Robin hasn't had a moment where her observations made a huge difference in the course of the events. Not that I expect observations to be what drives the action either way, because by definition they can't. It was her curiosity and her own individual motivations what brought her to do stuff that was plot relevant and beneficial to Luffy, not her observant nature. Robin's inaction was not what made a difference: she did was she was told to do by Crocodile. It's her defying Crocodile's decisions in some events and instances what made the difference.

Also, I didn't pay attention to that point in the above quote, but Carrot doing something useful and plot relevant is not exactly one of the main reasons why I think her nakamization is clearer after this chapter. Carrot has done useful stuff through the arc, this is not the main difference that this chapter makes. There seems to be a trend to forget or downplay that basically her tag team with Chopper created one of the most essential advantages to the rescue team and that its consequences are still relevant at this point of the arc. What her portrayal in this chapter adds rather than "usefulness" is a psychological and individualized focus. I say that because, while Robin's actions to save Luffy were certainly plot relevant, it was her ambiguous motivations to do so what brought the chance of nakamization and made it plausible (and even then, due to the lack of focus it needed further growth to feel organic and fully understandable). In that sense Carrot's moment is more significant so far and has more clear connections, regardless of how wholly useful the end result of her actions is.
jal90Dec 17, 2017 3:24 PM
Dec 17, 2017 2:23 PM

Jun 2013
even after 2 weeks Carrot Look both Hot as Fuck and Bad Ass like Hell!!!Minks are going to F**k Kaido's Beast Pirates up in Wano.....

I really hope she joins to Crew..but also somewhat realistic...and wait until it's either confirmed or denied...so far this has been like "I-Want-to-see-Seas-a-little-Adventure to her I think...she has not said anything wanting to be a Piraqte...and to take into the account the Loyalty she has to Zou Musketeers and Lords...45% chance She might join I think.
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Dec 17, 2017 7:25 PM
Aug 2008
kleinerwolf said:

It's not that hard really, It just need a trim for every fight in this show. Most of fights are having much time and makes us wait for nothing!

One Piece fights never been one of the most valuable points in this show.

The fights usually have only couple of moves which end the whole fight.

Instead of having 10 chapters for a fight, Let them just 3-4, with only one of them as a full chapter fight.

The story needs to go on. We've seen the mink fight with Jack. It took nothing in terms of chapter, Yet we knew the moves and the effect.

Oda can't handle fight, and the more the fight gets detailed, the more Oda fail in the fight.

We still have long way to go. Now we took more than a years or maybe 2, since we begin Big Mom's arc.

It just seem that it will end peacefully without ending Big Mom. Anyway, If she stayed and didn't be an Ally of Luffy, then we will still have 4 Yonko's, many of supernovas, couple of shichibukai left.

Only one of them took more than 3 years (If we took it since Sizar).

Dec 18, 2017 11:44 PM

May 2015

And yet that conflict was finished way before the arc reached its climax. Even him finding out about the zombies' salt weakness didn't hold a chance against Oars and Moria.

You are mixing stuff that is very radically different here, both passive and active moments. If you count "laughing on the sidelines at Mizu Luffy" you may as well count Carrot's thoughts in awe when she hears Chiffon's story, her entire Wonderland speech for that matter or the many reactions she's had through the arc to stuff that happens.

But I agree with this. Still:

As said, Carrot is NOT defined by her inaction. When Reiju boarded the ship she intended to attack, whenever the Straw Hats have tried to pull a fight she has been the first, and whenever a plan has been set she has followed it enthusiastically. It's not in her character to stay inactive and uninvolved with the events. That is a huge difference of focus from Robin's case. You can say that she is somewhat observant as well but the balance of observant and active Carrot is completely different from the balance of observant and active Robin. It's that distinction what I aim for when I say that Carrot doesn't have a clear precedent in the manga.

Heck, Robin hasn't had a moment where her observations made a huge difference in the course of the events. Not that I expect observations to be what drives the action either way, because by definition they can't. It was her curiosity and her own individual motivations what brought her to do stuff that was plot relevant and beneficial to Luffy, not her observant nature. Robin's inaction was not what made a difference: she did was she was told to do by Crocodile. It's her defying Crocodile's decisions in some events and instances what made the difference.

Also, I didn't pay attention to that point in the above quote, but Carrot doing something useful and plot relevant is not exactly one of the main reasons why I think her nakamization is clearer after this chapter. Carrot has done useful stuff through the arc, this is not the main difference that this chapter makes. There seems to be a trend to forget or downplay that basically her tag team with Chopper created one of the most essential advantages to the rescue team and that its consequences are still relevant at this point of the arc. What her portrayal in this chapter adds rather than "usefulness" is a psychological and individualized focus. I say that because, while Robin's actions to save Luffy were certainly plot relevant, it was her ambiguous motivations to do so what brought the chance of nakamization and made it plausible (and even then, due to the lack of focus it needed further growth to feel organic and fully understandable). In that sense Carrot's moment is more significant so far and has more clear connections, regardless of how wholly useful the end result of her actions is.

Don't think I'm communicating my thoughts very well, in general, looking back at my posts.

On Robin

And Franky had basically two arcs to jel with the story.

Beyond these exceptions, everyone else, Nami, Sanji, Chopper etc, literally had the arcs centered around them entirely. Carrot is a significant character among equally significant characters (the rest of the straw-hats), and considering she has to compete with Big Mom and Sanji? I don't see her getting *all* the focus required to make her feel completely organic in the crew, is what I'm saying.

By the end of say..Wano, a very long arc, where maybe even another arc is squeezed between now, Reverie and than (giving her even more time), where she actively helps in defeating the straw-hats strongest foe to date? Totally. But by this end of this arc? Where most of our time is spent on like, Katakuri, Sanji, Pudding and Big Mom? That I can't see.

It's not about waiting forever, but past precedent - Jinbe, Robin, Brook, shows that..eh, her joining now might leave a little bit of a delayed effect in terms of organicness.
Dec 19, 2017 3:36 AM

Oct 2010
I think we agree on the basics @ashfrliebert so I feel like the discussion is going nowhere. The main point of divergence is that feeling of organicness you miss when past SHs are brought to comparison, which I respect but can't say I agree and at this point it's nothing more than a personal sensation I can't properly discuss. There is a fact in this current arc which is that Carrot is one of the most heavily featured characters, more than Brook and Jinbe at this point. Whether that feature is individualized enough and relevant for crewmate consideration remains, I think, our essential point of disagreement. Either way it's not like I don't see your point, we need more focus on her. I personally think it's perfectly easy to fit it in this arc's run, just like we are seeing right now the effects of Pedro's events in her. I find it rather hard to believe that Oda will spend just a couple panels on a flashback for a relationship that has grown so much significance in both the current chapter and through the entire plot twist of Pedro's death. This is purely speculative of course but at this point it's the narration and the differential focus this relationship is given what makes me believe this is going to be expanded. And while it could happen later, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't fit in the current arc's run. But again, speculation on my part and I don't think there is much material for actual discussion, just like there isn't much more to add regarding Robin; being a major exception in everything as she is, I feel like bringing her to debate in the first place doesn't help to solve anything. I mean, her ambiguity is unique but the narrative perspective of Carrot is also unique so....who knows.

I would go on with Brook though because calling him a major factor during most of Thriller Bark is kind of an issue. I know that the comparison with Lola and other allies is absurd but that alone doesn't grant him a main role. The fact is, most of Thriller Bark is not about Brook, it's about the Straw Hats surviving a trap set by Moria and his henchmen. Brook's story is a subplot inside of this arc, not any more plot relevant than the others. And I'm not saying this to downplay Brook, the guy had nakama vibes right from the beginning. He got the flashback later and by then we already were very certain that he would join.
jal90Dec 19, 2017 3:51 AM
Dec 19, 2017 3:53 AM
Oct 2013
@ashfrliebert

As you point out yourself, there are no real "rules" but rather guidelines the Strawhats joining process defines. If we were to criticically examine each Strawhat we could distinguish the unique trait of their circumstances that lead to their allignment, while dismissing the common ones and conclude that they´re each unique without any relation to the others who in contrast share all the commonalities.

I remember a guy who wanted to distinguiish Zorro from the rest of Luffy´s crew and he noted the following differences to distance him from the other Strawhats as you did here with Robin.

1. Zorro was the only Strawhat that didn´t join Luffy out of impression for his skills, but because of blackmail&bribery putting them comparetively on an equal position.While he was saved by Luffy from danger like all the Strawhats in one way or the other, he was the only one to immediately repay the debt.

2.Connecting to the argument of not being impressed. Zorro joined an alliance of convenience that became a loyalty based comradery through shared experiences, fueled by his own pride.
While every other member once officially joined, immediately was loyal due their treatment as family by Luffy and the debt they owed him or in the case of Brook& Robin, the crew.
An argument used to undermine the slower progression of Zorro´s loyality to Luffy was the Whisky Peek scuffle the two had, where they attacked each other supposedly with genuine killing intent.

3.Because Zorro was the first member to join Luffy´s crew an assumption has grown among the community, which is that Zorro always has too approve of a member before he joins officially.

4. Zorro was the only member to be sought after by Luffy specifically before his introduction.

... the list goes on, but I can´t remember his other arguments.

Anyway the point I wanted to make is. You can make any shoe fit if you twist and turn enough.
The same applies to carrot and wether or not you agree that she can join now or think that she requires still development is opinion. Allegedly you acknowledge that her potential is higher than any other candidate before, after brook, aside from Jinbe, who had a clearcut confirmation from FI onwards.

Like I mentioned above Carrot fits perfectly the pattern of female Strawhat member. Joining unofficially, proving herself before her backstory as valueable, aftwerwards introducing her backstory, her motivations, saving her and then have her officially join.
It happened to both girls like that and Vivi who is a honorary member had the same treatment.
Even more pattern arise if we were to keep Vivi in the equation. All 3 of them were introduced as "villains", despite never really harming the crew and redeeming themselves individually.
Dec 20, 2017 5:45 AM
Nov 2017
Isterio said:
@ashfrliebert

As you point out yourself, there are no real "rules" but rather guidelines the Strawhats joining process defines. If we were to criticically examine each Strawhat we could distinguish the unique trait of their circumstances that lead to their allignment, while dismissing the common ones and conclude that they´re each unique without any relation to the others who in contrast share all the commonalities.

I remember a guy who wanted to distinguiish Zorro from the rest of Luffy´s crew and he noted the following differences to distance him from the other Strawhats as you did here with Robin.

1. Zorro was the only Strawhat that didn´t join Luffy out of impression for his skills, but because of blackmail&bribery putting them comparetively on an equal position.While he was saved by Luffy from danger like all the Strawhats in one way or the other, he was the only one to immediately repay the debt.

2.Connecting to the argument of not being impressed. Zorro joined an alliance of convenience that became a loyalty based comradery through shared experiences, fueled by his own pride.
While every other member once officially joined, immediately was loyal due their treatment as family by Luffy and the debt they owed him or in the case of Brook& Robin, the crew.
An argument used to undermine the slower progression of Zorro´s loyality to Luffy was the Whisky Peek scuffle the two had, where they attacked each other supposedly with genuine killing intent.

3.Because Zorro was the first member to join Luffy´s crew an assumption has grown among the community, which is that Zorro always has too approve of a member before he joins officially.

4. Zorro was the only member to be sought after by Luffy specifically before his introduction.

... the list goes on, but I can´t remember his other arguments.

Anyway the point I wanted to make is. You can make any shoe fit if you twist and turn enough.
The same applies to carrot and wether or not you agree that she can join now or think that she requires still development is opinion. Allegedly you acknowledge that her potential is higher than any other candidate before, after brook, aside from Jinbe, who had a clearcut confirmation from FI onwards.

Like I mentioned above Carrot fits perfectly the pattern of female Strawhat member. Joining unofficially, proving herself before her backstory as valueable, aftwerwards introducing her backstory, her motivations, saving her and then have her officially join.
It happened to both girls like that and Vivi who is a honorary member had the same treatment.
Even more pattern arise if we were to keep Vivi in the equation. All 3 of them were introduced as "villains", despite never really harming the crew and redeeming themselves individually.

Damn... that last paragraph is an impressive argument. I couldn't come up with something that well thought out if i tried.

I think that added with what I have brought up makes it pretty much a certain that she'll join. She has too much involvement in various ways in this arc to not join.

If she doesn't join I will be the first to acknowledge I was wrong
Dec 20, 2017 4:14 PM

May 2015
Yeah..I realize I'm unnecessarily and tediously harping on that front. Whether a character feels organic is rather too subjective to discuss.

My point wasn't really even about Carrot just to note how rather pedantic it is, it was about Carrot *in this particular arc*.

Jinbe waited all the way until he officially broke Big Mom's ties. The Mink's official, main conflict, that brought Carrot and Pedro into the story at all, is Kaido. That's what I was *trying* to say on that front.

Nami and Robin were tied to Baroque Works and Buggy respectively before they unoffically joined. Carrot..already had her own tribe, in an arc that came before, and already has a future conflict, with another character, Kaido, who has been looming over this series for a decade now. A personal conflict, even. She's already just naturally steering the course for this series regardless of whether not she joins now because she has to be present in Wano. Jinbe didn't join until we got to his personal conflict, with Big Mom.

And to leave the Minks in *this* arc? It feels unusual to have the character who was introduced, in the Mink Tribe, who (judging from her awe at everything else) was born in the Mink Tribe and has never left the Mink Tribe. And has a connection to the Mink Tribe. To join in an arc where little to none of her comrades on Zou are even present. And than to later help her Mink Comrades free Wano, coming from the perspective of a *straw-hat* character?

Judging from previous context aside, it *feels* all in the wrong order. That's what I'm saying.

Robin and Nami didn't even seem a little bit attached to Buggy and Crocodile, not as characters nor personally. It *felt* different there.

Carrot feels attached to the Minks in both ways, it's fine to leave them and move forward, but it seems weird for her to make that decision without anybody but (the dead corpse of) Pedro and Pekoms (of all minks) even present. In an arc largely about..Sanji and Jinbe?
Dec 20, 2017 6:36 PM
Oct 2013
Now this argument makes far more sense in context.
I cannot speak for the others, but I assume that at least Jal agrees with me that Carrot joining during this arc isn´t considered necessity, but that it functions rather as buildup for things to come.

Him and me both were set on her joining once she snuck on board of the Sunny.
Personally I was opposed too the suggestion of predicting the new Strawhat untill she was introduced, because the choices fans made before were rather arbitrary, based on personal preference. However, this was what distinguished her from the former contenders. She immediately fullfilled several conditions upon introduction, I won´t repeat again, which could have been enough once the missing bits were explored, like her backstory etc. What enhanced her potential and solidified my opinion as her being the next crewmember after Jinbe (who to me was in the crew since Fishman Island), was her development! From her personality, to her abilities, to her chemistry something fanfavorite Barto never had, shes an all around package asking to get her invitation. Not counting in marketability, of which I am sure went up tenfold, especially with Otaku, after the latest chapter. All of this happened on Whole Cake and on the way to it.

I agree with you that this isn´t the arc she´ll join officially. For once because as you´ve mentioned her caregivers are not with her, to give their blessing, but also because she´s missing the most crucial ingredient. The sad backstory! If anything is an iron rule for the Strawhat contenders then it is that the backstory has to be told first.Even in the cases of Zorro&Ussop with the rushed pacing of early One Piece (thankfully better elaborated in the Anime)had them told in the Manga before they joined I doubt Oda ´ll manage to squeeze in a third backstory into this arc. That´d be dumb considering how schizophrenic it already is, but I can´t dismiss the chance either. Oda is unpredictable at times. Regardless, once that backstory is revealed it´s free game wether her family is with her or not.Nonetheless I want to nip the possibility of her joining the grand fleet as a commander in the bud, before that assumption even can bloom.
People kept repeating this about Jinbe when he was confirmed 4 arcs ago, the most dismissive ones still hold on to the potential of him dying during this arc which is horseshit when the Nuketanker is around, but I digress. To conclude. I think that we agree that she´ll join, none of us can correctly predict when it´ll happen though and I know that she won´t join officially until we get to see her past. That I can tell you!
IsterioDec 21, 2017 12:28 AM
Dec 21, 2017 4:46 AM

Oct 2010
I wouldn't say that this is Jinbe's arc, though, not more than Carrot's at the very least who has undergone some potentially major character growth throughout. There is nothing particularly dynamic or challenging in the exploration of his character here and if anything I would say Whole Cake is a comparatively small part of his big character arc that has been narrated since Impel Down. In the end all we are getting here is confirmation, that he intends to be a SH member, that he is a useful helmsman and that he breaks ties with Big Mom. One of the finest things about him this arc is that, actually: he is not doing anything we shouldn't expect from him after the whole buildup we had. Which is what solidifies his position as a crewmate and allows us to accept it organically.

But that is just a petty disagreement and we are on very similar terms even though we diverge at some aspects in the conclusions. I see and understand your points and they are perfectly valid though I am kind of against patterns as a way to explore nakamization, as you may have seen xD
jal90Dec 21, 2017 4:51 AM
Dec 21, 2017 5:35 AM
Oct 2013
jal90 said:
I wouldn't say that this is Jinbe's arc, though, not more than Carrot's at the very least who has undergone some potentially major character growth throughout. There is nothing particularly dynamic or challenging in the exploration of his character here and if anything I would say Whole Cake is a comparatively small part of his big character arc that has been narrated since Impel Down.

The plotline with the "Wheel of death" he was about to spin was a major downer for me and one of the reasons I don´t trust Oda anymore, with a particular distaste for the arc.
Not only was a conflict setup that he avoided with zero consequences, but it was handled off screen with quite the lazy solution. The rules were self explanatory. Spin the wheel lose an arbitrary amount of legs,arms,heads or years you pay for with your crew,

A few panels with Jinbe contemplating about his own life and that of his crew and than offering only his own , which with Luffy by his side, would have been far more impactful.
In the end, what he did was cool, but there was no requirement to do it next to Luffy and having him consider his crew next to the wheel would have made it less fillery.
Dec 21, 2017 5:22 PM

Oct 2010
Isterio said:
jal90 said:
I wouldn't say that this is Jinbe's arc, though, not more than Carrot's at the very least who has undergone some potentially major character growth throughout. There is nothing particularly dynamic or challenging in the exploration of his character here and if anything I would say Whole Cake is a comparatively small part of his big character arc that has been narrated since Impel Down.

The plotline with the "Wheel of death" he was about to spin was a major downer for me and one of the reasons I don´t trust Oda anymore, with a particular distaste for the arc.
Not only was a conflict setup that he avoided with zero consequences, but it was handled off screen with quite the lazy solution. The rules were self explanatory. Spin the wheel lose an arbitrary amount of legs,arms,heads or years you pay for with your crew,

A few panels with Jinbe contemplating about his own life and that of his crew and than offering only his own , which with Luffy by his side, would have been far more impactful.
In the end, what he did was cool, but there was no requirement to do it next to Luffy and having him consider his crew next to the wheel would have made it less fillery.

I can certainly agree with that. It was a cool character moment, but being off-paneled it was deprived of its emotional significance. I don't have a problem with the idea, though, particularly because this idea of being able to avoid Big Mom's wheel by standing up and overcome your fear fits well with the quirk of the yonkou and particularly her routine of trick-or-treating. I found it a little bit forced that BM was just fine with this result, though. She has been shown as rather deceitful and quite into scheming, I am surprised that she takes this challenge so seriously. But so did she in Pedro's flashback so I guess it's part of her character as well.
Dec 22, 2017 5:24 AM
Oct 2013
jal90 said:

I can certainly agree with that. It was a cool character moment, but being off-paneled it was deprived of its emotional significance. I don't have a problem with the idea, though, particularly because this idea of being able to avoid Big Mom's wheel by standing up and overcome your fear fits well with the quirk of the yonkou and particularly her routine of trick-or-treating. I found it a little bit forced that BM was just fine with this result, though. She has been shown as rather deceitful and quite into scheming, I am surprised that she takes this challenge so seriously. But so did she in Pedro's flashback so I guess it's part of her character as well.

The Pedro flashback, is the reason I was forgiving towards the solution. I was tired when I wrote my last post, so to clarify. What I meant to say was, that Oda created two scenarios, with the Big Mom vs Jinbe conflict. When one would have been sufficient.Making the first one, which he dropped imo, obsolete.
Had he combined them or for more clarity, put the solution of the second scenario, with luffy absent or not, into the first one, it´d been far more impactful.

As it is, we have a wasted setup. The biggest consistent flaw of this arc and the reason I compare occasionally post timeskip One Piece to Fairy Tail.
People complained, that the solutions to setups in Fairy Tail, were always badly executed.
I think not showing the solution or postponing the conflict is a differnt kind of equally bad writing.Even during bad pre timeskip One Piece arc,s this wasn´t as predominantly the case.
IsterioDec 22, 2017 5:37 AM
Dec 23, 2017 6:51 AM

Dec 2014
wow carrot transformation was awesome
May 18, 2018 7:53 AM

Feb 2013
Amazing!
I thought she couldn't control that power, but I'm glad I was wrong.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1114 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 1

2 by Early_Morning »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Apr 23

55 by steeltec »»
May 1, 11:17 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1110 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Mar 12

64 by cry4heals »»
May 1, 5:18 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1081 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 17, 2023

74 by anubela »»
May 1, 9:56 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 770 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LunyRem - Dec 11, 2014

50 by KoniginElle »»
Apr 26, 11:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.