Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 28, 2017 1:19 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Poor Ippo :(

He gave it his all but it wasn't enough. I wouldn't be ashamed though and I bet his coach is proud of how far he's come.
Nov 28, 2017 1:29 PM
Jan 2016
Is... Is this the end ?

Is this the end for Ippo. He's broken for good. He won't do any boxing anymore.
Nov 28, 2017 1:34 PM

Jun 2015
This really doesn't make sense. Morikawa just downgraded Ippo's knowledge and experience of boxing so that he loses to some poor Philippino random guy. Ippo suddenly became pathetic and anxious when he should have been serious and box conservatively. If Morikawa hadn't shitted on his work this fight would have ended with Ippo as the winner and the other guy paraplegic
Nov 28, 2017 1:47 PM

Dec 2016
I'm friggin destroyed.

Nov 28, 2017 1:52 PM

Dec 2011
Morikawa got balls to go that route.
The only way there is hope for Ippo to return is to have a time skip or so.
Also there is his promise to retire if he lose again and he did.
Nov 28, 2017 2:45 PM
Feb 2016
We have to remember it's not your run out of mill battle manga. And what i am really afraid of is that Ippo will follow Joe's steps and there won't be happy ending.

Nov 28, 2017 2:52 PM
Jun 2015
I'm done with this manga. You are as good as dead to me, Morikawa.
Saiz-Nov 28, 2017 5:09 PM
Nov 28, 2017 3:17 PM
Nov 2017
This was the worst chapter I've read by far. I lowkey kinda saw this coming but I'm still dissapointed. I feel like the manga is being dragged out cause now that he is "terminally I'll" we're going to see less ippo boxing scenes for awhile and that is so annoying. Enough drama, let ippo fight!
Nov 28, 2017 3:25 PM

Apr 2008
Im realy sad

so, we never gonna see Ippo vs Miyata, ever

"I can see it! The greatest fortress in the world... OUTER HEAVEN!!
And somewhere ahead... METAL GEAR is waiting! LET´S GO!!"

Nov 28, 2017 3:27 PM

Aug 2012
It's over. Or is it over? He's still young but he made a promise.

I was ready as I already know the outcome because I got spoiled at reddit. Yet, I can't help to feel emotional on what's gonna happen next.

But if this is gonna continue, I would say that what's gonna happen afterwards would be a huge turnaround to Ippo's mindset/personality
Nov 28, 2017 3:28 PM
Feb 2014
Unpopular opinion but I really like this kind of ending lol
Nov 28, 2017 3:43 PM

May 2013
oh come ooooooon....... fuck this
Nov 28, 2017 3:59 PM

Jan 2009
I was having a depressing day to begin with and I was like
"aww yeah new HnI chapters, maybe we finally get to see Ippo nailing Guevarra withe the new Dempsey"
Reads chapter
I think I'm gonna go and sit in a dark corner and ponder as to why I hate everything for awhile...

Like it's not like I didn't expect it to go this way(I just hoped it wouldn't), but for the love of Joe he could have atleast landed the Dempsey

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Nov 28, 2017 4:11 PM
Nov 2017
It feels wrong it is kind of sloppy, if this is how it ends, we never see Ippo fight any of the big names in the series for his last match and the series ends on a whimper against a nobody we don't care about. If this last fight was agains Volg, Miyata or Gonzales almost everyone would be perfectly fine with it, instead we get this!
And still there are Sendo vs Gonzales, Miyata vs Martinez, and all Takamura's fights throgh the weight classes, until he will become the world heavyweight champion

So there's... There MUST BE a REAL REASON for this ending!

George = Ippo
The readers = Coach

George has been feeling the toll from this series for a while. Some days he probably can't even draw a straight line properly. With his record he could've retired Ippo years ago and nobody would've blamed him. It's the love for his job and relationship with his readers that really kept him going all these years. He had potential for greater stories and adventures, but this is where it ends for him. His hands have carried him for as long they could. In the manga world where some mangaka only sleep 3-4 hours a day you need to be a monster to survive.

1) It is established it was all in Ippos head and he wasn't really punch drunk or there is some made up cure. After a little while HnI continues as normal. Probably lame but I'd rather have a lame resolution than an end

2) Timeskip since every fucking manga has to have one by law: We skip ahead a few years and an older but wiser Ippo returns to the ring having someone recovered, but always playing on the razors edge of health.

3) This is the end of the series for some reason (Not popular, George is dying, George is bored)

Number one is my preference. My heart won't be able to handle the stress of two with Ippo's health being a constant concer.

Number three will send me into a year long depression.
LucifherusNov 28, 2017 4:33 PM
Nov 28, 2017 4:15 PM

Jul 2011
This can't be how it ends... 1200 chapters only to have Ippo lose to some random idiot after building up the fight for a long ass time.
Nov 28, 2017 4:54 PM
Nov 2017
Okay. fck it! i'm done. he's broken and made a promised so MORIKAW DELIVER! if hajime no ippo continue to box after being punch drunk and broken promise then this is BS! and look at morikawa if you he dies early who'll finish the story. yeah im fuckin pissed as fck! that should be the ending
Nov 28, 2017 5:12 PM
Dec 2012
rynchn said:
Okay. fck it! i'm done. he's broken and made a promised so MORIKAW DELIVER! if hajime no ippo continue to box after being punch drunk and broken promise then this is BS! and look at morikawa if you he dies early who'll finish the story. yeah im fuckin pissed as fck! that should be the ending

It was never confirmed he was punch drunk yet.
Nov 28, 2017 5:45 PM
Aug 2008
This chapter was quite sad and very depressing to me.
Not only the whole fight was dragged so much, the ending is just .....
Fuck you Morikawa!

Nov 28, 2017 7:24 PM
Nov 2017
I really feel that in this direction, the next arc will be full of his Rival's success, and him filled with deep sadness and regrets.

Actually this is a good time to explore Ippo's inner psyche. And yes he will retire as he promised. Get married with Kumi, Hajime no Ippo becomes a slice of life manga, and then still something hungers Ippo's heart. What does it mean to be strong? along the line of the timeskip story, Kamogawa's death will snap and trigger something within Ippo. And who would train Ippo for his comeback to the world? None other than a "Retired/Injured" or 6-time Champion Takamura, and both of them are gonna be older and wiser, bearded and all.
Nov 28, 2017 9:48 PM

Feb 2010
Wooooow. This was pretty sad. Realistic, but sad. Sometimes things just don't go the way you want it to. Despite how hard you work. That's life.

On another note, I really hope he wasn't speaking to the readers on Chapter 1201 and George isn't sick from all his working.
Feel free to join my club if you like Armored Core:
Nov 28, 2017 10:41 PM

Apr 2016
Ippo was too damn fixated on that new Dempsey Roll. smh

Hajime no Guevara!
The-JonesNov 29, 2017 3:24 AM
Nov 28, 2017 10:42 PM

May 2007
Seriously, this manga became a joke !

Nov 28, 2017 11:24 PM

Sep 2007
One picture to resume it all

You know it's the end ...
When Ippo himself know it. :/
Nov 28, 2017 11:58 PM
Jul 2017
What in the actual fuck George Morikawa. I've been following HnI for over the past decade and I can't believe this is the direction the manga is going. I respect that Morikawa trying to keep the manga realistic and unpredictable, but ,to me, what makes HnI great is the journey of following Ippo's ability to overcome challenges with his grit and hard work. Is it cliche? Yeah but it's fucking shounen manga... To see Ippo not only lose, but in such a pathetic fashion against a fighter no one cares about is dumb. To see an inspiring character like Ippo become broken with an irreparable injury is tragic and there's enough tragedy in life let alone in manga. I'll read Tokyo Ghoul for that.
For the love of God, please make Ippo return to greatness and learn to dodge some damn jabs. Rant over.
Nov 29, 2017 1:07 AM

Apr 2011
What the utter fuck!?

P.S. Can I just say that this page makes for a damn good wallpaper. It's almost on par with this page.
yhunataNov 29, 2017 1:19 AM
Nov 29, 2017 3:32 AM
Jan 2017
LordAxel said:
This really doesn't make sense. Morikawa just downgraded Ippo's knowledge and experience of boxing so that he loses to some poor Philippino random guy. Ippo suddenly became pathetic and anxious when he should have been serious and box conservatively. If Morikawa hadn't shitted on his work this fight would have ended with Ippo as the winner and the other guy paraplegic
Saiz- said:
yusuf_etuh said:
This was the worst chapter I've read by far. I lowkey kinda saw this coming but I'm still dissapointed. I feel like the manga is being dragged out cause now that he is "terminally I'll" we're going to see less ippo boxing scenes for awhile and that is so annoying. Enough drama, let ippo fight!
The_Fan said:
poundingtherock said:
What in the actual fuck George Morikawa. I've been following HnI for over the past decade and I can't believe this is the direction the manga is going. I respect that Morikawa trying to keep the manga realistic and unpredictable, but ,to me, what makes HnI great is the journey of following Ippo's ability to overcome challenges with his grit and hard work. Is it cliche? Yeah but it's fucking shounen manga... To see Ippo not only lose, but in such a pathetic fashion against a fighter no one cares about is dumb. To see an inspiring character like Ippo become broken with an irreparable injury is tragic and there's enough tragedy in life let alone in manga. I'll read Tokyo Ghoul for that.
For the love of God, please make Ippo return to greatness and learn to dodge some damn jabs. Rant over.

The only thing I can do is lmao at these comments. Jesus. Come on, guys.

Ashita No Joe was the biggest inspiration for Morikawa and the ending of that series was also sudden but impactful at the end. It really makes sense for him to go similar ways. I wonder if people went like that, when Ashita No Joe ended. "what a joke of this manga became", because the author chose to go against a happy conclusion.

This isn't about Ippo losing to some "random" guy. Ippo has known that he was broken and he never intended to go out as a winner in this fight. He probably even wanted to retire after this fight. The whole fight was about him using the new Dempsey Roll to show the coach his gratitude. Ippo didn't care about winning or losing.

The actual gut wrenching thing is that he wasn't able to show it off in the end. The past 5 chapters leading to this conclusion were brilliant. Even if a lot of people are rather upset.

These comments here are such a joke. If you are done with the manga because something didn't turn out as you expected, then go. If you didn't even understand what Ippo's intention was and call the fight pathetic or find explanations to justify a possible win of Ippo and to why the outcome is so stupid, then re-read the chapters.

The only thing I could see if Morikawa continues Ippo's career at all is to make a timeskip and let Ippo return someday. Otherwise, sometimes boxing careers simply end like this. And while HNI went into fantasy in some fights, it's still a slice of life shonen.

EDIT: Don't forget that Morikawa has been feeling ill for the past months and it didn't really get better. Chapter 1201 can be seen as a reflection where Morikawa is Ippo and the readers are meant as the coach, with him not being able to continue and that he's sorry about it. When you realize how shit the conditions of mangaka are (90-100 hours a week, no spare time, 3-4 hours of sleep every day) then it makes sense that in addition to his illness that he simply can't go on. He's has also been drawing it for like 28 years.

But of course, understanding and compassion is too much to ask from some readers of manga. It's something that I've noticed throughout many communities when it comes to manga reading. And while Mangaka is a job that those people have chosen for themselves, you can't just ignore the years and the ongoing conditions of these people and it takes a lot of inhumanity to not at least show some form of understanding or respect towards them and their decisions.
MorayneNov 29, 2017 3:48 AM
Nov 29, 2017 4:42 AM

Jun 2015
Morayne said:

Ashita No Joe was the biggest inspiration for Morikawa and the ending of that series was also sudden but impactful at the end. It really makes sense for him to go similar ways. I wonder if people went like that, when Ashita No Joe ended. "what a joke of this manga became", because the author chose to go against a happy conclusion.

This isn't about Ippo losing to some "random" guy. Ippo has known that he was broken and he never intended to go out as a winner in this fight. He probably even wanted to retire after this fight. The whole fight was about him using the new Dempsey Roll to show the coach his gratitude. Ippo didn't care about winning or losing.

The actual gut wrenching thing is that he wasn't able to show it off in the end. The past 5 chapters leading to this conclusion were brilliant. Even if a lot of people are rather upset.

These comments here are such a joke. If you are done with the manga because something didn't turn out as you expected, then go. If you didn't even understand what Ippo's intention was and call the fight pathetic or find explanations to justify a possible win of Ippo and to why the outcome is so stupid, then re-read the chapters.

The only thing I could see if Morikawa continues Ippo's career at all is to make a timeskip and let Ippo return someday. Otherwise, sometimes boxing careers simply end like this. And while HNI went into fantasy in some fights, it's still a slice of life shonen.

EDIT: Don't forget that Morikawa has been feeling ill for the past months and it didn't really get better. Chapter 1201 can be seen as a reflection where Morikawa is Ippo and the readers are meant as the coach, with him not being able to continue and that he's sorry about it. When you realize how shit the conditions of mangaka are (90-100 hours a week, no spare time, 3-4 hours of sleep every day) then it makes sense that in addition to his illness that he simply can't go on. He's has also been drawing it for like 28 years.

But of course, understanding and compassion is too much to ask from some readers of manga. It's something that I've noticed throughout many communities when it comes to manga reading. And while Mangaka is a job that those people have chosen for themselves, you can't just ignore the years and the ongoing conditions of these people and it takes a lot of inhumanity to not at least show some form of understanding or respect towards them and their decisions.

It is you who seems to be unable to comprehend some basic things.

To begin with, it is no secret that Morikawa loves Ashita no Joe but there are many differences between these manga. Joe had a much darker and bleaker tone and much sadder themes. I mean Joe is an orphan that went to juvy and for him boxing was the means to escape from his depressing life, for Ippo it is a hobby that made him a stronger and more independent individual. Moreover, the point of Ashita no Joe manga was to show the hardships of people's daily lives and how it is sometimes impossible for a dream to come true. This is why it took 20 volumes to complete. In HnI the whole point of the story is conquering the top through endless training, that's what we have been seeing for 1000+ chapters. The punch-drunk side-plot just came around chapter 1150. Giving Ippo a Joe-like conclusion is not only unoriginal but pointless as well, it could be done in less chapters with much better ways. It is utterly stupid to write a 1000+ chapter story for a dream not coming true

Secondly, personally I don't find Ippo's loss as a stand-alone bad thing. If Guevara was a guy whose character had been built-up with motivations for a couple of chapters like most HnI characters it would have been ok. But no, we just got the "I am a poor Philippino guy" as a character trait. In order for him to win, Ippo started fighting like an amateur with wide jabs after completely dominating Guevara for 2+ rounds. The chapters were sentimental no doubt but this whole fight was above average for HnI standards

Thirdly, regarding the "mangaka's life is difficult" again in Morikawa's case it makes no sense. The guy could have just ended the manga at chapter 700 if Ippo and Miyata had fought but he chose to drug it for 250 chaps with the champions of the oriental pacific. Furthermore, most characters of the main cast have had very few serious fights with Takamura having 3(Hawk, Eagle, Bison) and Aokimura having 1 each(Mashiba and Imae). This is contradicting as in one hand most of the cast has had little screentime and has a long way to complete their dreams(mainly Takamura) while Ippo who has been the main focus of the plot just lost his purpose to fight. It is his fault for having a 1200 chapter manga with many unresolved plot points. Even Oda will have completed more than 90% of One Piece by chapter 1200. Morikawa proved to be a mediocre mangaka of a long-running series after such a decision as he just tired himself for no-reason.

But of course, not being a fanboy and just seeing things in an objective way is too much to ask from some readers of manga. I really hope the manga to continue and get back its old glory someday
Nov 29, 2017 5:51 AM
May 2017
For a second there, I thought he would overcome this. But after that look he gave to the coach...I lost hope. Lets see how Morikawa wrap this up, but this might be the end for Ippo!
Nov 29, 2017 7:33 AM
Nov 2017
Morayne said:
LordAxel said:
Saiz- said:
yusuf_etuh said:
The_Fan said:
poundingtherock said:

Yo we understand exactly what the author was trying to do but that does not mean we have to agree with it. Everyone reads manga for different reasons, most importantly everyone chooses what type of manga to read for different reasons.

This manga underwent a shift from the normal problem overcoming protagonist to a pitiful and defeated one (even though he had put in so much work to overcome the problem). Yes this is an acute representation of the real world but thats not the reason i started reading this manga. I don't want a couple accurate representation of the real world, no instead i want a fantasy in which if you put in work no matter how hard the problem is, you can overcome it. And that is the main reason this chapter disappointed me, the manga's vibe and outlook shifted and although i kinda saw it coming I'm still disappointed.

So don't shoot people down for not seeing things "objectively" and stop stop referring to their comments as jokes because like i said everyone has different reasons and that makes accepting this chapter conclusion harder for some people then others.
Nov 29, 2017 8:22 AM

Nov 2016
WTAF? I'm at a loss for words, can't really believe the outcome of this match and the direction the manga took during this...

There was already a lot of teasing during Ippos recovery and the build up for this fight, also, since Ashita no Joe was a big inspiration for this manga it makes a lot of sense. But still, there are a lot differences in the approach and how things were handled here, which made it hard to get ready for this, it happened too soon. If this is really how it's going to end then I'm unbelievably sad over it, Ippo was among the very first shows I picked up when I started to watch anime online 9 years ago, to see it might end like this is devastating.

Now over 1 1/2 years later it still didn't end, but we're still dealing with the aftermath and this affair gave us a lot of valuable psychological insight on Ippo.
FMmatronJun 5, 2019 5:14 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 29, 2017 8:56 AM
Apr 2009
Trash ending.

Apparently Morikawa is in bad health right now and he needed time to take off. Perhaps this chapter reflects Mori's real life situation and a few months from now we will get a timeskip.
Nov 29, 2017 10:05 AM

Aug 2007
Might as well just end it at this point. This manga has more or less been done for me for years after he lost against the 2nd featherweight champ.

I don't think anyone really wants another 1000 chapters of him trying yet again. He's reached his limit.

Nov 29, 2017 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
Hias said:
Might as well just end it at this point. This manga has more or less been done for me for years after he lost against the 2nd featherweight champ.

I don't think anyone really wants another 1000 chapters of him trying yet again. He's reached his limit.

Not ending https://twitter.com/hajimenoippo100/status/933272632979480576
Nov 29, 2017 11:52 AM

May 2007
Morayne said:
LordAxel said:
Saiz- said:
yusuf_etuh said:
The_Fan said:
poundingtherock said:

Talking about the health of Morikawa to justify his weak history doesn't make any sense. You know why, because this match should be ended by Ippo in the first round to show his comeback. Ippo is stronger than the other boxer, it's so obvious dammit !

But Morikawa spent dozens of chapters to prove to us that Ippo is not broken, he is still a boxer, and finally with 1 page of flashback he decides that he is not.

There is a rumor that Hajime no Ippo will change to monthly magazine. Maybe!

Nov 29, 2017 12:09 PM

Apr 2016
Heh. Maybe they'll discover that Guevara was doping and have the result overturned to a No Contest.
Nov 29, 2017 12:50 PM

Sep 2007
Since the beggining of this fight I got the impression that Guevara would be victorious. He was humble during most of the fight and not worthy of being pummeled by the New Dempsey. As some of you said here he was just a random fighter, even if I became sad with this conclusion I found it acceptable, because it would not be right if this fight was just a cannon fooder for the development of Ippo. This result could give many more options to work with.

We still have the promise of retire, but at the same time he was afraid to cross the line drawn by Takamura.

To conclude, for me the best story don't always have to deliver the best outcome, but have to make us feel hard, be it happiness or despair.

Nov 29, 2017 1:54 PM
Nov 2017
Is the writer wants to change the plot of this manga to a love story? Coz if he lose again he will fulfill his promise to kumi then more time for her. Tsssss... please stop supporting this manga so that they will stop to write this nonsense, stupid, imbecile, asperger and full of shit manga. Such a waste of time to invest here.
Nov 29, 2017 7:13 PM

Feb 2015
ruruxo said:
Since the beggining of this fight I got the impression that Guevara would be victorious. He was humble during most of the fight and not worthy of being pummeled by the New Dempsey. As some of you said here he was just a random fighter, even if I became sad with this conclusion I found it acceptable, because it would not be right if this fight was just a cannon fooder for the development of Ippo. This result could give many more options to work with.

We still have the promise of retire, but at the same time he was afraid to cross the line drawn by Takamura.

To conclude, for me the best story don't always have to deliver the best outcome, but have to make us feel hard, be it happiness or despair.

Agreed.
Guevara isn't just some random fighter. He is a cannon fodder, as said in chapter 1179, and Ippo was ready to test his new weapon against him. Morikawa made us believe Ippo would win with ease and would relaunch his career, just like he did in his comebacks matches after Date and Sawamura. Rinse and repeat.
However, nothing is the same anymore. The damage Ippo received though his whole career did take its toll on him. It was the hard truth, and was heavily foreshadowed, but no one wanted to admit it. Nor Ippo, nor the coach, nor the readers. Everyone tried to sweep the truth under the rug, under the New Dempsey.
Now, reality ensues. The New Dempsey wasn't enough. Ippo just couldn't cross the line.
It's sad to say goodbye to his boxing career, but the timing is perfect. Morikawa did a great job in the end.
VenariStrigasNov 29, 2017 8:22 PM
Nov 29, 2017 7:13 PM
Nov 2017
It's obvious by now that Morikawa got tired of writing... This was so badly made. I wouldn't mind a sad ending or a loss, if it were in an actual good fight with a relevant opponent. This was too forced...
Nov 29, 2017 11:05 PM

May 2014
...Is this really how it ends? I'm not mad, I'm just really sad. After 1202 chapters of following the journey of this weak kid turned world class boxer, is this really how it ends?

Although I can't say he hadn't already foreshadowed this kind of an ending for a long time.. This ending just leaves me speechless.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Nov 30, 2017 12:22 AM
Apr 2011
Guys, Frostbytes already posted here. It's on twitter that Ippo won't end after this, and after reading chapter 1203, Miyata's words may kinda explain Ippo's loss. After this, we'll just have to wait for the reason for him to break his promise to Kumi

https://twitter.com/hajimenoippo100/status/933272632979480576
Nov 30, 2017 12:31 AM
Nov 2016
Manga went to trash. Not that he lost but that he lost some no body B-class boxer who's only quirk was that he was a Southpaw(super common in boxing) the fact Ippo hadn't fought a southpaw in his career was his Trainers fault for not teaching him early on how to deal with them. Mostly just pissed that They did a 100+ chapter Rocky Training/comeback montage to build up his return only to get absolutely wrecked. #WasteMyTime2017 . Sad thing is it's likely Takamura is going to lose this bout or the next due to Retinal Detachment as has been foreshadowed in his "vision/blurryness issues" as well as the character hes based off of having had that injury. Unfortunately this is just gonna be a sad ending for everyone in the manga without redemption. Gonna have to drop it before it descends even further into the depths of hell. Also this whole "punch drunk" thing isn't that realistic considering the short length of Ippos boxing career. I've never seen a boxer punch drunk in their early twenties, He should have been trained better lol wtf were they thinking.
ProxyProxNov 30, 2017 12:34 AM
Nov 30, 2017 12:41 AM
Nov 2016
Civrus said:
Wooooow. This was pretty sad. Realistic, but sad. Sometimes things just don't go the way you want it to. Despite how hard you work. That's life.

On another note, I really hope he wasn't speaking to the readers on Chapter 1201 and George isn't sick from all his working.

Idk about "realistic" Ippo is very young Early Twenties or so. In boxing terms he's still at the start of his boxing career and it has been extremely short. To put it into perspective it'd have been more "realistic" for him to die in a freak accident in the ring from hitting his head on the canvas than to have gotten punch drunk in such a short time frame/career in his early twenties. Never have a seen a boxer that young Punch Drunk. If so its entirely the fault of his trainer for not teaching him any defense whatsoever lol. Just bad writing honestly. If he was gonna go this route he should have built it up better and done it later in Ippos career to be realistic.
Nov 30, 2017 2:13 AM
Jan 2017
LordAxel said:
Morayne said:

It is you who seems to be unable to comprehend some basic things.

To begin with, it is no secret that Morikawa loves Ashita no Joe but there are many differences between these manga. Joe had a much darker and bleaker tone and much sadder themes. I mean Joe is an orphan that went to juvy and for him boxing was the means to escape from his depressing life, for Ippo it is a hobby that made him a stronger and more independent individual. Moreover, the point of Ashita no Joe manga was to show the hardships of people's daily lives and how it is sometimes impossible for a dream to come true. This is why it took 20 volumes to complete. In HnI the whole point of the story is conquering the top through endless training, that's what we have been seeing for 1000+ chapters. The punch-drunk side-plot just came around chapter 1150. Giving Ippo a Joe-like conclusion is not only unoriginal but pointless as well, it could be done in less chapters with much better ways. It is utterly stupid to write a 1000+ chapter story for a dream not coming true

Secondly, personally I don't find Ippo's loss as a stand-alone bad thing. If Guevara was a guy whose character had been built-up with motivations for a couple of chapters like most HnI characters it would have been ok. But no, we just got the "I am a poor Philippino guy" as a character trait. In order for him to win, Ippo started fighting like an amateur with wide jabs after completely dominating Guevara for 2+ rounds. The chapters were sentimental no doubt but this whole fight was above average for HnI standards

Thirdly, regarding the "mangaka's life is difficult" again in Morikawa's case it makes no sense. The guy could have just ended the manga at chapter 700 if Ippo and Miyata had fought but he chose to drug it for 250 chaps with the champions of the oriental pacific. Furthermore, most characters of the main cast have had very few serious fights with Takamura having 3(Hawk, Eagle, Bison) and Aokimura having 1 each(Mashiba and Imae). This is contradicting as in one hand most of the cast has had little screentime and has a long way to complete their dreams(mainly Takamura) while Ippo who has been the main focus of the plot just lost his purpose to fight. It is his fault for having a 1200 chapter manga with many unresolved plot points. Even Oda will have completed more than 90% of One Piece by chapter 1200. Morikawa proved to be a mediocre mangaka of a long-running series after such a decision as he just tired himself for no-reason.

I never said that he had to directly do it like Ashita No Joe, just that the manga influenced him a lot. Why did you interpret so much into it? I wrote that it'd make sense to go similar ways but his intention was probably a different one if it wasn't for his conditions. Maybe this was the best solution for him and it's not the first time that things don't go as readers expect it. Morikawa proved to be rather "sadistic" when it comes to fighters in this series, as shown with Kimura and Date. Sometimes things simply change. You make it sound like that Morikawa is still the same young guy that he used to be 900 chapters ago.

The fight itself was alright. A better opponent with more introduction would have been better, yes but my point that you failed to see in my long post is that Morikawa's health might have gotten so bad over the past months that he possibly rewrote the plotline. You write about "Why would somebody make 1000+ chapters just to not reach the dream?" or that it's against the spirit of this manga. You are ignoring the situation outside of the manga and only focus on the story of it.

Regarding your health paragraph: What doesn't make sense? Is the concept of aging new to you? Is it hard to understand that working in such conditions for almost 30 years negatively impacts your health? On top of an illness in this case even. With him creating loose plot points and tiring himself with so many chapters, well, maybe he didn't have the exact plans back then how to continue the manga. Maybe he wanted to go on and go for 1500+ chapters to wrap everything up because his younger self thought that he could do it. While he is partially self-responsible for this, he is also an aging mangaka and over the past few months his illness didn't really improve. Sometimes life simply affects your work negatively.

Read chapter 1201 again and you'll see that Morikawa is directly speaking to the readers through his imagery and texts. Here are the pages in particular:

http://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1201/4737/11
http://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1201/4737/12

The pen, the dialogue about his body. This is Morikawa talking to the readers.

But of course, not being a fanboy and just seeing things in an objective way is too much to ask from some readers of manga. I really hope the manga to continue and get back its old glory someday

But of course, not labeling other people as fanboys when they try to argue with aspects that simply happened outside of the manga and have to do with conditions of mangaka is too much to ask from some readers of manga. You are even downright ignoring the possibility of Morikawa simply being ill and not being able to continue as he wanted to, so many years ago, imply that I'm a fanboy and imply that my argument about his health is not objective. If you do that without knowing anything about my interests or manga preferences (HNI isn't even one of my favorites), then I'll just imply that you are an ignorant reader as you just don't want to acknowledge the negative impact of manga creation on the mangaka and that it can affect the story progression. You showed it through your post that it's not even possibility for you and proved my original post right. Again, I agree that he is partially self-responsible for this and that his history of the manga isn't the greatest, but it's you who is unable to comprehend some basic things.
MorayneNov 30, 2017 2:36 AM
Nov 30, 2017 7:17 AM
Nov 2017
FREAKING SHEEEEYYYYYYY! ANOTHER MANGA RUINED BY EVERY FREAKING ENDING
Nov 30, 2017 9:41 AM
Oct 2017
end of ippos carreer. he will watch his rivals succeed. kamogawa will stop coaching coz ippo proved his style of boxing is wrong.
clearly forced ending... author feels he need an ending before comes the time he cant draw anymore. most boxers retire in a lost match anyways.. but come on, ippo is younger than takamura and aokimura. they had hard fights too. ippo was made to inspire his rivals and even readers, but what happened... dragged the manga for 1200 chaps.. lots of detours, author milked this manga..
Nov 30, 2017 11:40 AM

Mar 2014
To start things off I have to congratulate Guaverra on this win. The guy stood his ground till the end, he did not break under Ippo's pressure and strength like so many boxers that Ippo faced before, he even managed to pull a win with broken ribs and a broken right arm, now that's impressive. We all know that Takamura has some supernatural animal instincts, but this is even beyond we all could have imagined, he was the first to notice that Ippo was "punch drunk" and that he hasn't recovered from it. Plus he is the one who is the most concerned about coach Kamogawa, since he knows that Kamogawa is going to blame himself for the outcome of this match. Takamura sure has grown from the goffy character that he was in the beginning to the serious man that he is now, he is still goffy and all that but not so much anymore.
IF the manga ends with Ippo retiring I'll probably be sad, but I would be happy if Morikawa continues the manga, despite Ippo's retirement. I want to see Takamura conquer the remaining three weight classes, as well Sendo vs Alfredo Gonzalez and Ricardo Martinez, as well as Miyata's and Mashiba's fights vs some world ranked boxers or even champions.
And I'll end with this, if you read chapter 1201 again,while having in mind that Morikawa is Ippo and we(the readers) are the coach sends shivers down my spine for some reason xD
Nov 30, 2017 12:45 PM

Jun 2013
This ending was foreshadowed long ago. Again I go back to that line Takamura drew next to the tree where Ippo started boxing. It's a line Ippo still hasn't crossed, literally. So if Ippo really is broken, he is not broken because of being punch drunk, he is broken because he lost his cause. To be honest, so did we. Why has Ippo been boxing for the past couple of years?

And this fight, fuck it. Fuck it with a giant black dildo. I don't care that he lost, I care to whom he lost. To some random guy whose personality can literally be summerized into a sentence - A poor random guy who fights to feed his family. That's all. Fuck that. Morikawa pulled a fast one on us, and not because he made Ippo lose, but because Guevarra had no personality. If this was any other fight before Gonzales, he would have put that little piece of shit into the ground. Instead, we got a cocktease for a new Dempsey, and much like Ichigo's new Bankai in Bleach, we saw... None of it. This fight was badly scripted from the getgo in order to take a new direction, and I will never get behind that.

The only thing I now need to know is whether Ippo will end of not. If it does, I simply want to keep moving with my life. There is still Kingdom I am reading, and that manga freaking rocks. Shin will get his chance, and that will finally wash away this piece of crap that has been crammed down HnI fan's throats. We did not deserve this, but we have to make best of it, and the best of it is to simply move on and forget this crap ever happened. There is nothing worse than a horrible ending (not bad ending as in novels, but badly written one) to one of the best journeys there ever was.

EDIT - Here's Guevarra's description for Ippowikia;

"Antonio is from a poor family beneath the Smokey Mountain. His goal is to bring back a lot of money for his family of two parents and six siblings." WHAT THE FUCK MORIKAWA?!?
Dimitrije1606Dec 1, 2017 6:36 AM
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Nov 30, 2017 5:24 PM
Nov 2017
I am very sad, I have been following ippo since I was a teenager, after 20 something years. I really hope it is not going to end like this.
Nov 30, 2017 5:31 PM
Jun 2015
Oh well if those chapters are a way for Morikawa to put a stop at this manga cause he can't handle it, "ok".
Still i lost my time with those 1202 chapters. I wanted Ricardo Martinez. I couldn't care less about Takamura fights.
I still have Yabuki Jō in my mind to delete this Ippo s**t
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Chapter 1454 Discussion

kevin_video - Apr 23

1 by Marloges »»
Apr 25, 6:29 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Chapter 1442 Discussion

kevin_video - Nov 28, 2023

4 by Marloges »»
Apr 25, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Chapter 1441 Discussion

kevin_video - Nov 21, 2023

4 by Marloges »»
Apr 24, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Chapter 1440 Discussion

RodIshiCi - Nov 14, 2023

11 by Marloges »»
Apr 24, 1:29 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Chapter 1439 Discussion

ShiroiRyu - Nov 7, 2023

11 by Marloges »»
Apr 24, 1:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.