Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 9, 2017 6:35 PM

Mar 2011
Currently reading Vinland Saga and I'm on chapter 40. I picked this series up after many recommendation of how similar it is to Kingdom & Vagabond.

To be honest, I honestly don't get the appeal for the manga. The story is so far good but it's nothing too extraordinary. The world isn't massive & expansive like Kingdom nor you have bunch of intriguing characters at this point with the exception of Thorkell. However, the few things it has going for is the art style. It is definitely the most polished and detailed work I've ever seen.

My biggest problem is the main character. Thorfinn has to be one of my least favorite protagonist for me in a long while.
Nov 9, 2017 8:46 PM

Mar 2016
I don't really care for it either. I think it's good but I wouldn't rank it as one of the best seinen. The peak would be hard to say as it does a really sudden change in direction at one point (would've been a lot better if it did it slower)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2017 8:53 PM
Jul 2018
It's not even similar to those two manga and moreover, Thorfinn is your usual revenge obsessed edgy kid until farmland arc, first 50 chapters is only the prologue.
Nov 10, 2017 3:43 AM

Aug 2016
if your 40 chapters in and you dont like it you might as well just drop it after the first 50 or so chapters it takes a complete 180 and starts actually becoming a story about vinland and shit so basically no fighting and shit, current arc is pretty good rn tho.

but it goes two ways really either u love it or hate it no real in between for this manga.

If your looking for something like kingdom only thing relatively close is Ravages of time or Historie which is a pretty low key manga but extremely good.
Nov 10, 2017 5:40 AM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Manga Discussion Board.
Nov 10, 2017 3:46 PM

Mar 2011
I didnt realize the prologue went up to 50 chapters. But the whole series is only less than 150 chapters, I'll likely stick to the end. I dont mind if it lacks action for a while as long as the progression is important and significant enough.
Nov 10, 2017 4:12 PM

Apr 2011
Before the farmland saga
Apr 15, 2018 9:44 AM

Oct 2012
the first 50 chapters are deffinitely the worst part of the manga, thorfinn is a bland and mindless MC, yes it has more action, but i didn't find it that interesting.

But after the prologue ended is where the really interesting part started, Thorfinn's changes as a MC, and his real fight against his inner demons, his existential crisis, his road of redemption takes center stage. THAT is what makes this manga different and interesting.

A little bit sad that you have to endure for 50 chapters before getting to the good part, but its worth it.
Apr 16, 2018 11:27 PM

May 2017
I really love the Manga and in my opinion the action orientated prologue really builds up the story for Thorfinns character change. I also didn't like him that much as a kid, but he was ok for me. But later on he becomes such an interesting character. And also the other characters are adding alot to the dynamics of the Story imo. After all the Artwork of this series is just stunning. I love it and can't wait for the Anime Adaptation :)
Apr 20, 2018 4:59 PM

Oct 2017
Urameshi-Kun said:
the first 50 chapters are deffinitely the worst part of the manga, thorfinn is a bland and mindless MC, yes it has more action, but i didn't find it that interesting.

But after the prologue ended is where the really interesting part started, Thorfinn's changes as a MC, and his real fight against his inner demons, his existential crisis, his road of redemption takes center stage. THAT is what makes this manga different and interesting.

A little bit sad that you have to endure for 50 chapters before getting to the good part, but its worth it.

You don't have to endure shit. Thorfinn being a revenge obsessed dude was the whole point of the first arc. If he was already wise, there wouldn't be any character development.

And did you just ignore compelling characters like Askeladd ?
Apr 21, 2018 1:36 PM

Oct 2012
Aardwolf94 said:
Urameshi-Kun said:

You don't have to endure shit. Thorfinn being a revenge obsessed dude was the whole point of the first arc. If he was already wise, there wouldn't be any character development.

Of course not, i didnt say it was complete trash otherwise i wouldnt have reached the end of the prologue i would have droped it at chapter 5

and i concur, the dynamic between askeladd and thorfinn is the best part of the first 50 chapters, but for me it was not enough to say it was more than a 6/10 manga at that moment. Thorfinn was so bland that for some moments it was like he wasnt even there, he was so blinded by revenge that he was uninteresting, there was only one thing on his mind and nothing else, it was a one dimensional character.... i also agree that it was something needed for him to develop as a character, but 50 chapters was too much for me, and i think the manga definitely got waaaaaay better since the farm arc. My grade for VS is 8/10 wich is a good note, but it could be a 9 or even a 10 if the prologue was shorter
Apr 21, 2018 2:20 PM

Oct 2017
Urameshi-Kun said:
Aardwolf94 said:

Of course not, i didnt say it was complete trash otherwise i wouldnt have reached the end of the prologue i would have droped it at chapter 5

and i concur, the dynamic between askeladd and thorfinn is the best part of the first 50 chapters, but for me it was not enough to say it was more than a 6/10 manga at that moment. Thorfinn was so bland that for some moments it was like he wasnt even there, he was so blinded by revenge that he was uninteresting, there was only one thing on his mind and nothing else, it was a one dimensional character.... i also agree that it was something needed for him to develop as a character, but 50 chapters was too much for me, and i think the manga definitely got waaaaaay better since the farm arc. My grade for VS is 8/10 wich is a good note, but it could be a 9 or even a 10 if the prologue was shorter

I think Thorfinn being a one dimensional character at that point is the whole point, thats what makes his character development during the Farmland Saga so much more satisfing.

And for me at least Askeladd, his relationship with Thorfinn and the interesting politics were already great enough. Definitely at least 8/10 material imho. Its not like it was just 50 chapters of Thorfinn killing people senselessly, there was still an interesting story there
Apr 21, 2018 4:15 PM

Oct 2012
in my opinion you cant have a one dimensional character for 50 chapters and expect it to be a 8/10... but ok, we have different taste.

and the story was interesting enough for me not to drop it, but not interesting enough to call it "very good" (8/10 according to MAL raiting system), the MC is an important part of a story and Thorfinn for me it just wasnt interesting at all.

now it is, but it took 50 chapters for the manga to get to a 7/10 (again, in my opinion)
Apr 25, 2018 9:47 AM

Jan 2014
Urameshi-Kun said:
in my opinion you cant have a one dimensional character for 50 chapters and expect it to be a 8/10... but ok, we have different taste.

and the story was interesting enough for me not to drop it, but not interesting enough to call it "very good" (8/10 according to MAL raiting system), the MC is an important part of a story and Thorfinn for me it just wasnt interesting at all.

now it is, but it took 50 chapters for the manga to get to a 7/10 (again, in my opinion)

For me first arc and second were masterpiece.

First arc - 10/10
Second arc - 10/10
Third arc - 7/10 (series for me become more shounen than seinen, generic and predicable and no killling rule become too much annoying)
Apr 25, 2018 7:05 PM

Oct 2012
Taito10 said:
Urameshi-Kun said:

First arc - 10/10
Second arc - 10/10
Third arc - 7/10 (series for me become more shounen than seinen, generic and predicable and no killling rule become too much annoying)

actually I think the no killing rule is the most interesting part of the manga, him trying to fight his own demons and sticking to his convictions even tho he is pushed to the limits to do so
Apr 26, 2018 9:27 AM

Jan 2014
Urameshi-Kun said:
Taito10 said:

First arc - 10/10
Second arc - 10/10

actually I think the no killing rule is the most interesting part of the manga, him trying to fight his own demons and sticking to his convictions even tho he is pushed to the limits to do so

I dont want to see Thorfinn to kill every enemy but in some moments he should kill someone to protect his life and his friends, no killing rule is just unrealistic to me, Thorfinn would be dead if not plot
Apr 26, 2018 10:42 AM

Oct 2015
It's not being expansive, it's tone of war and morales behind it are. I don't know why would you think there are no compelling characters when Askeladd and Farmland arc Thorfinn exist with a set of good side characters, when they are interesting enough in their own right.

Haven't really read the third arc where they said it's a drastic change, I'll decide by then.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Apr 26, 2018 8:16 PM

Oct 2012
Taito10 said:

I dont want to see Thorfinn to kill every enemy but in some moments he should kill someone to protect his life and his friends, no killing rule is just unrealistic to me, Thorfinn would be dead if not plot

I dont think that would be the best, his father lost his battle of peace when he was forced to fight against askeladd, and his road requires him not to be forced to do that in order to surpass Thors, and thorfinn already said he wants to always take the first option and avoid a fight.

Fighting and killing someone would make him lose the battle and if that happens Hild should kill him without hesitation no matter what kind of justification ha has, even if he IS forced to fight, he should just aim to neutralize the ennemy without killing him like thors did at the begining of the manga. this is not a manga about fighting and killing, its about thorfinn's inner fight and filosofical dylemas, that is what makes this manga different from the rest and interesting for me.

look guys, i know there are many people that enjoyed the first arc and think its a masterpiece, for me it was not extraordinary but it was good enough not to drop it, and the OP is probably of the same opinion since he was bothered enough to open this thread, that's why i left my comment with my opinion, i dont wanna offend anyone, its ok if you think its a 10/10, its ok if you think the fist arc is the best part, im not trying to crap over your opinion, im just trying to leave mine so OP (or any other that has this doubt) can keep up with the manga and reach the farm saga since they probably think like me and would enjoy that part more than the first one.
Apr 28, 2018 12:41 AM

Jan 2014
Urameshi-Kun said:
Taito10 said:

I dont think that would be the best, his father lost his battle of peace when he was forced to fight against askeladd, and his road requires him not to be forced to do that in order to surpass Thors, and thorfinn already said he wants to always take the first option and avoid a fight.

Fighting and killing someone would make him lose the battle and if that happens Hild should kill him without hesitation no matter what kind of justification ha has, even if he IS forced to fight, he should just aim to neutralize the ennemy without killing him like thors did at the begining of the manga. this is not a manga about fighting and killing, its about thorfinn's inner fight and filosofical dylemas, that is what makes this manga different from the rest and interesting for me.

look guys, i know there are many people that enjoyed the first arc and think its a masterpiece, for me it was not extraordinary but it was good enough not to drop it, and the OP is probably of the same opinion since he was bothered enough to open this thread, that's why i left my comment with my opinion, i dont wanna offend anyone, its ok if you think its a 10/10, its ok if you think the fist arc is the best part, im not trying to crap over your opinion, im just trying to leave mine so OP (or any other that has this doubt) can keep up with the manga and reach the farm saga since they probably think like me and would enjoy that part more than the first one.

No killing rule killed Thors so this is bullshit. Like I said I don't want Thorfinn to kill every enemy but several he should.
Apr 28, 2018 9:38 AM

Oct 2012
Taito10 said:
No killing rule killed Thors so this is bullshit. Like I said I don't want Thorfinn to kill every enemy but several he should.

Thorfinn should aim to surpass thors, like i said he should be able to fight every once in a while to avoid being killed, but he should not kill, and his goal is to win every fight without using his fists so if he is forced to use his streangth he automatically lost the fight even tho he ends up being the last man standing
Apr 29, 2018 12:22 AM

Jan 2014
Urameshi-Kun said:
Taito10 said:

Thorfinn should aim to surpass thors, like i said he should be able to fight every once in a while to avoid being killed, but he should not kill, and his goal is to win every fight without using his fists so if he is forced to use his streangth he automatically lost the fight even tho he ends up being the last man standing

Say it to dead Thors and if not plot Thorfinn also would be dead. No killing rule is just unrealistic in world of killing.
May 3, 2018 9:07 PM

Dec 2014
Read it until ketil farm arc. It will become insteresting.
Watch aria the animation and it's sequel.
May 9, 2018 6:18 AM
Oct 2014
i think the peak of the seris is the second part the part we are currently on. after the farm arc (which was great) i love where the series is going
May 13, 2018 2:45 PM

Nov 2007
The first part was a good read for and Askeladd a great character, but ketil farm arc is indeed the best so far.
Aug 11, 2019 11:39 AM
Nov 2015
Taito10 said:
Urameshi-Kun said:

Say it to dead Thors and if not plot Thorfinn also would be dead. No killing rule is just unrealistic in world of killing.
unrealistic no, idealistic yes, thats what makes vinland saga great it threats the act of killing with nuance and respect.

More topics from this board

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

7 by deg »»
Apr 24, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Apr 18, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

» vinland saga 210 release date?

CRG - Apr 2

1 by deg »»
Apr 2, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.