Forum Settings
Forums

How differrent is your taste in anime (or entertainment media in general) and in real life? (regarding character and other preferences)

New
Nov 1, 2017 7:15 PM

Jan 2010
For example,
I've seen a lot of comments about hating yandere because "who whould date a psychotic girls?"
or tsundere "who would date an abusive bitch?"

I mean, it's fiction.
Nobody would date a psycho in real life, nor an abusive partner.

Another example,
I love psychotic characters, and I love male tsunderes.
Do I like psycho in real life? Hell no.
Do I like tsunderes in real life? Definitely a no.
When reading/watching fictional story, I tend to like rough/angry guys than the sweet, idealistic goody two shoes.
But for real life partner, it's almost the exact opposite. My ideal would be someone deredere or just a kind and sweet person like Makoto (perfect bf material).
All in all, I can say that my preferences in fiction is the exact opposite of my preferences in real life.

Now, aside from the characters, there are also themes and story.

For example, a controversial theme: Incest.
I like it.
I mean, incest is disgusting in real life. But I find myself liking it in fiction. I find taboo things interesting to explore in fiction. I find things that you can't normally find in real life more interesting.

Other example: "Abusive" couple.
"How could you ship it it's abusive as fuck!!"
"I was a victim of abusive relationship, this ship disgust me, and people who ship it is just as disgusting"
Like, excuse me???? I mean, it's perfectly okay to not ship it because it rings too close to your real life situation for comfort but to prevent others to ship it???
Just because someone ship a couple that you think is toxic/abusive, doesn't mean that someone support that kind of relationship irl

Fiction is fiction. It's meant to be enjoyed. But yes, it doesn't mean it can completely ignore moral compass. Some people would still be disgusted if it went too far. However, I'm not one to be easily apalled by immorality in fiction.

Back to the question:
» How differrent is your taste in anime (or entertainment media in general) and in real life? (regarding characters and other preferences)
» Are you one of those people who mix fiction with real life or one that able to separate them completely?
CrimsonMidnightMar 31, 2018 6:57 PM
Nov 1, 2017 7:35 PM

Mar 2017
In terms of girls, my preferences in entertainment and irl do align. I love the Reina Kousaka types: confident and self-assured. They subscribe to the notion that the great things in life comes to those who work their asses off in pursuit of what they want. And that's beautiful and captivating.

And in terms of relationships, one of my favorite TV relationships was Monica and Chandler from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. And I want something like that. None of those bullshit soulmates and unicorn. I hate the notion that out there there is one and only person who'll complete you. I want to meet someone, fall in love, and I want it to be special because we choose each other and we are going work it out. Just two people standing up for each other, and supporting each other through their toughest times and lowest points.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Nov 1, 2017 7:37 PM

Oct 2015
I almost like anything in fiction that I don't like in real life. It's easier to be open-minded in fiction, makes it a lot easier. I'd say I'm too open-minded. Like Incest, I like to see that taboo in action. And maturely if possible. If not, I don't mind it since incest is wincest

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Nov 1, 2017 7:45 PM

Dec 2014
For me I generally keep fiction and reality separate, but some of my tastes do bleed over in regards to how much I like a character. I mean, my favorite character is Lancer from F/SN because his generally playful demeanor and carefree outlook on life combined with a sense of professionalism in regards to his "work" are all attributes I carry in my own life as well. My favorite female character is Amane from Fruit of Grisaia in part because were she to exist in real life I'd fall head over heels for her.
At the same time though I have a certain appreciation for characters that I would likely hate in real life. Gilgamesh for example. I couldn't handle the embodiment of arrogance were he to appear before me... but I love the character. Or the antagonist in Inuyashiki. Killing a kid for no reason really is horrible, but I find the character to be rather fascinating, not finding him to be detestable despite his actions.
Fiction is absolutely fiction so on the whole there's not much I hate seeing. If it works in the story I'll watch just about anything no matter how dark it is. Rape, murder, etc, etc. Toss it all in, if it's well written I'll have a good time.
Nov 2, 2017 1:03 AM

Apr 2017
My taste in anime is way too different than real life, I love tsundere males in anime but I don't like them in real life but in the other hand , I like deredere males in anime and real life. It depends on the character we're talking about
I try to separate fiction from my daily life as much as I can , I don't want it to effect on my life.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 2, 2017 3:12 AM

Jul 2013
Villains in anime are generally funny to watch and tend to be the characters I ended liking the most in series, but even if I like them in fiction, I will never want them to actually exist in real life.
Nov 2, 2017 3:18 AM

Oct 2015
Illyricus said:
Villains in anime are generally funny to watch and tend to be the characters I ended liking the most in series, but even if I like them in fiction, I will never want them to actually exist in real life.

i mean, arguably if most villains exist, they would be yoshikage kira types so no worries

Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Nov 2, 2017 3:26 AM

Apr 2016
I must say this is true, especially with hentai.
Nov 2, 2017 3:46 AM

Jul 2017
In Anime: as long as they are cute : )

In Real Life: I want very rich women so I don't need to work polite women.
Nov 2, 2017 3:47 AM

Nov 2014
I could say my real life preferences filter into anime, but the strange taste I then develop when watching anime don't translate to real life.

As an example for just hair alone, I think girls with shoulder length hair are attractive. If there are any female characters in anime that I would think of as attractive which corresponds closely to my taste in real, it'd be Hana from Prison School.

An example of my real life preferences of plain looking shoulder length hair girls seeping into anime (though jet black hair would be nicer).

On the other hand, the strange things that I actually start to think are cute after watching anime I can only find cute in anime. In real life these just don't work, like twintails or side ponytails (no not the actually functional ones that reach to the shoulder you see normal people do their hair in, the kinda pointless ones that you see anime characters like Tsukiko and Rikka tie their hair in).

I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 2, 2017 9:19 AM

Sep 2017
BurningSpirit said:
I could say my real life preferences filter into anime, but the strange taste I then develop when watching anime don't translate to real life.

As an example for just hair alone, I think girls with shoulder length hair are attractive. If there are any female characters in anime that I would think of as attractive which corresponds closely to my taste in real, it'd be Hana from Prison School.

An example of my real life preferences of plain looking shoulder length hair girls seeping into anime (though jet black hair would be nicer).

On the other hand, the strange things that I actually start to think are cute after watching anime I can only find cute in anime. In real life these just don't work, like twintails or side ponytails (no not the actually functional ones that reach to the shoulder you see normal people do their hair in, the kinda pointless ones that you see anime characters like Tsukiko and Rikka tie their hair in).

So you also like real life girls with bobcuts. I dont want to admit how similar we are in anime taste and even in real life. ._.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 2, 2017 10:08 AM

Feb 2015
"Nobody would date a psycho in real life, nor an abusive partner."

Have you seen this show called Dr. Phil? It's pretty good...
Nov 2, 2017 11:48 AM

Mar 2012
Shicchi said:
"I was a victim of abusive relationship, this ship disgust me, and people who ship it is just as disgusting"
Like, excuse me???? I mean, it's perfectly okay to not ship it because it rings too close to your real life situation for comfort but to prevent others to ship it???
I mean, I have things like that too.
Don't tsundere fans do the same? Saying things like "he's too perfect which makes him boring, there's no scope for development, how can you even like him?". It takes two sides to start a war after all. There are always aggressive fans to make the situation worse.

If it's about romance and shipping then in most cases I don't even care. If it's just about the characters I like then except for abusive tsunderes, specially male abusive tsunderes, I tend to like a wide variety of characters that might range from really sweet and caring to sadistic, cunning or even having ill intentions, the latter are usually villains. I like all of them for different reasons which is most of the time influenced by things that I have gone through in real life. There are no real restriction, if tsunderes are done well then I might like them too.

If I'm shipping any characters then I just like the romance to be more subtle, sweet/cute and pure that's the main reason I don't like ships with abusive tsunderes. Yanderes are a completely different question, I enjoy them for the gore and killings rather than for romance.

I tend to keep fiction and reality separate but at the same time I seek comfort from it which is why my preference goes to kind and caring (usually male) characters who are older than the MC, usually the sort that act like more of a guardian than anything else. Irl, I just want to stay single.

Having same preferences in anime and real life does not necessarily mean that they are mixing reality and anime.
Nov 2, 2017 5:47 PM

Nov 2014
nymi said:
So you also like real life girls with bobcuts. I dont want to admit how similar we are in anime taste and even in real life. ._.

OMG yes! I totally get it! Pity that most girl like to go for long hair...What kind of bob cuts do you like the most btw?

Yeah, but it's quite awkward to use the term bob cut. Tell that to people and everyone (at least in my experience) think of the short straight bob cut with bangs. They'd even show me pictures of models and go like "Hah see, told you it's bad! How can you like this?" I'm like "No shit mate, you choose the one that is hardest to pull off (and imo the worst one, often criminally misused by middle aged moms)."

Besides, we ain't even talking about models because those with extremely sharp noses DON'T go well with bob cuts. But most girls with the average features would! Especially because they have button noses (well cause I'm in Asia and shit).

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 2, 2017 6:01 PM
Nov 2017
I'll say, that in anime I'm tend to like a wide variety of character types. For example, I love protectionless, weak and harmless characters in anime. Because only they can be a base to implement my dictator - ish intentions to protect and "own" a person, leaving it for no one, but myself. A character, who's lacking an inner stud, so she looks for another person, whom can perform that role.
Though, finding a person like that is almost impossible in real life, furthermore, I'm sure, eventually, I'll be sick of playing with that toy. Therefore, in real life I appreciate a personality, rather then submission.
However, that's why we have our dream worls for, don't we?..
Nov 2, 2017 6:03 PM
Nov 2017
I guess, I am a monster...
Ahahah.
#DeepThoughtsLateAtNight
Nov 2, 2017 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
Very Different...How I wish I meet some "tsundere" girls irl
Nov 3, 2017 5:24 AM

Jan 2010
Maou_heika said:
Shicchi said:
I mean, I have things like that too.
Don't tsundere fans do the same? Saying things like "he's too perfect which makes him boring, there's no scope for development, how can you even like him?". It takes two sides to start a war after all. There are always aggressive fans to make the situation worse.

If it's about romance and shipping then in most cases I don't even care. If it's just about the characters I like then except for abusive tsunderes, specially male abusive tsunderes, I tend to like a wide variety of characters that might range from really sweet and caring to sadistic, cunning or even having ill intentions, the latter are usually villains. I like all of them for different reasons which is most of the time influenced by things that I have gone through in real life. There are no real restriction, if tsunderes are done well then I might like them too.

If I'm shipping any characters then I just like the romance to be more subtle, sweet/cute and pure that's the main reason I don't like ships with abusive tsunderes. Yanderes are a completely different question, I enjoy them for the gore and killings rather than for romance.

I tend to keep fiction and reality separate but at the same time I seek comfort from it which is why my preference goes to kind and caring (usually male) characters who are older than the MC, usually the sort that act like more of a guardian than anything else. Irl, I just want to stay single.

Having same preferences in anime and real life does not necessarily mean that they are mixing reality and anime.

Yep. I just take examples that came to mind at the time lol

I'm not a fan of female tsundere myself, but when people says things as if the relationship in anime matters directly to their reality (who wants an abusive partner?!) it made me thinking...
Not saying it's wrong. I was just saying.

I'm trying to keep fiction and reality separate too but sometimes it just align and mix. And it's okay.

What's not okay to me is to shame people who loves morally questionable themes/ships/characters in fiction.
Nov 3, 2017 5:44 AM

Oct 2017
it blends pretty well tho of course there's going to be things that go completely against that for example:

loli/shota in anime ok to lewd
loli/shota irl not ok to lewd

or completely submissive anime characters = bland, uninteresting, everywhere
completely submissive real people = why can't i find one to be with?

or characters like izaya whom i'de love to play a mental game with and also would love to bend over. but irl his personality would be enough that his murder would be rewarded.
Nov 3, 2017 4:32 PM

Oct 2017
Say whatever you want.
Tsunderes for life.
Nov 3, 2017 9:07 PM

Dec 2012
They're pretty much the same except I don't really like much live action horror stuff at all and real incest is disgusting.
KruszerMar 31, 2018 6:50 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 3, 2017 9:16 PM

Aug 2014
I don't have any taste.
A Tsundere? I've met one.
A Kuudere? I've met one
A yandere? Never met one.. i don't think it's exist physically or very rare occurrence.
Any physical traits in anime mostly the same in anime except the personality are beyond doubt have a great gap on specific age (loli/shota).

I never gone to a full date but most of girl who attracted to me are older than me.
I mostly interested on kuudere type well except they're not common.
Nov 5, 2017 2:04 PM

Feb 2016
I generally like characters who are intelligent, good-looking, well-educated and fun... just like me.
Nov 5, 2017 2:20 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
This is going to sound awful but when it comes to 2D characters I tend to be way more shallow and fall for physical traits more than for personality traits.

I like Yuudachi from Kantai Collection because she's pretty... well... attractive (phrasing it politely)
I'd go crazy if I had a girlfriend or boyfriend with a verbal tic.

When it comes to personality traits, I think it's kind of the same.

Nov 5, 2017 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
for one, i try not to date abusive men in real life
Nov 5, 2017 5:54 PM

Nov 2014
spuukiebuugi said:
Given the nature of the thread, does that mean you like abusive male anime characters?

My MAL Interview
Nov 5, 2017 5:59 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
It's quite weird. I'll admit I have more of an open mind to fiction (though I tend to judge so little in my own life) but my taste is practically the same. I'm very into nice, nerdy, cute boys in real life as much as fiction. Obviously I dote on fictional romance much more then real, romance irl is really boring and not as fun and magical.

I'd probably say I have more tolerance for problematic characters and even problems then I would in my own life but that's because we get to see development over a course of time and don't have to be with said problems.
Nov 5, 2017 6:05 PM
Mar 2015
Anime overexaggerates a lot. Obviously real life tsunderes are not abusive - if a girl hits you in the face with a baseball bat she is going to jail and you are going to the hospital.

That being said I think my tastes in anime and irl is about the same. I did not notice this before but a lot of people I know, hang out with and respect in real life share traits with some of the characters in my favorites list.
Nov 5, 2017 6:07 PM
Jul 2018
BurningSpirit said:
spuukiebuugi said:
Given the nature of the thread, does that mean you like abusive male anime characters?

if I consider them to be attractive and interesting. Only then. The psychology of abusive people seems interesting until you have to deal with them in a real setting. Then you start to question your sanity for liking fictional ones.
Nov 5, 2017 6:51 PM

May 2009
Pretty similar, considering that I dislike jackass characters and crazy antics in anime just like I do in real life.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 27, 2017 1:21 AM

Jan 2010
In accordance to recent thread about "why would somebody like to put a rapist on their fav char list?": https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1694774

I thought it's time to bump this thread back
Dec 27, 2017 1:23 AM

Sep 2009
Yes, I would greatly respect a female yandere who manages to evade the popo, and I'd love to live a dramatic life with magic or giant robots etc etc, and die a tragic death.
So yeah, not different at all.

That said, there are plenty of male yanderes in real life, like OJ Simpson. I think the world could do well without them.
MortalMelancholyDec 27, 2017 1:30 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 27, 2017 1:25 AM

Mar 2016
This is an interesting topic. I'v e never considered it before, but I'd say my taste in anime aligns perfectly with my preferences in real life. For the most part.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2017 1:45 AM

Feb 2016
Shicchi said:

You're so, so, sooooooooo wrong...
Dec 27, 2017 1:52 AM

Apr 2011
I like NTR and rape hentai. Both are acts I despise in real life. There's also murderers, psychopaths and what not that I like in fiction, but don't in reality. Does that count?
Dec 27, 2017 1:55 AM

Jan 2010
yhunata said:
I like NTR and rape hentai. Both are acts I despise in real life. There's also murderers, psychopaths and what not that I like in fiction, but don't in reality. Does that count?

Yes! That's what I'm talking about. Liking rape in your fantasy doesn't mean you're a rapist nor you support it irl. Same with the whole lolicon and pedophile crap.

Still, differrent people differrent view. Some people do mix their fantasy and reality.

iscum said:
Shicchi said:

You're so, so, sooooooooo wrong...

Really? XD
Dec 27, 2017 1:55 AM

Apr 2016
Anime is anime, real life is real life.

I love incest, tsunderes(but not yanderes, they are disgusting) and lolis. But I obviously don't like those in real life. Cause incest is fucking disgusting, no one likes an abusive partner and real children are disgusting.

So yeah, I can easily differentiate between anime and real life.
Feb 2, 2018 9:17 PM

Jan 2010
How could people love Griffith?!

People who asks above question probably thinks ppl like Griffith because:
"He is a rapist, evil, immoral character."
when in truth ppl like Griffith because:
"Griffith is a complex character which tied directly to the protagonist and the plot. He's also charismatic and just all around well written character."

Feb 2, 2018 9:27 PM

Jan 2017
My tastes in anime/media in general is not that different in rl. Like how I like long black-haired girls or girls that are more mature for their age.
Feb 2, 2018 9:29 PM
Jun 2016
I mix anime with real life. I have this thought "what if these characters are real", that's why I hate villains in anime, or even if the MC is evil, like Overlord, I'll hate it. So I'll hate the anime too.
Feb 2, 2018 9:54 PM

Apr 2015
Shicchi said:
For example,
I've seen a lot of comments about hating yandere because "who whould date a psychotic girls?"
or tsundere "who would date an abusive bitch?"

What a blasphemy.
I love yandere and want them to nurture me for the rest of my life and being sexually dominant to me coz I'm lazy, submissive and don't give a single fuck whether people around me are dying or not. Their lives doesn't matter to me. My anime preference=real life preference for this.

I mean, it's fiction.

Yandere=/=random psycho. Yandere would only harm those whom they think have a potential to harm/took their crushes off. They're just overly possessive, and I don't mind with that as long as they made money for my living so I can slack off. Not to mention that I love hikikomori lifestyle which suits them yanderes.

Aside from the characters, there are themes and story.

For example, a controversial theme: Incest.
I like it.
I mean, incest is disgusting in real life. But I find myself liking it in fiction. I find taboo things interesting.

Incest is fine for me as long as you don't have children coz higher risk of birth defects. Nowadays contraceptives are easy to use or just do anal sex during your dangerous days. I don't see anything wrong with incestuous relationship, really. ANd moreover, I found that incest is amusing because many saw it as taboo. Being taboo makes me want to try it more (too bad I don't have sisters). Since the Genesis in the bible, Adam and Eve ate the forbidden apple because it's forbidden. So I think it's human nature to have more urge to try whatever violates the norm because they're against the norm.

Fiction is fiction. It's meant to be enjoyed, yes. But, it doesn't mean it can completely ignore moral compass. Some people would still be disgusted if it went too far. However, I'm not one to be easily apalled by immorality in fiction.

Well yes, of course I won't expect to date FGO version of Abigail Williams IRL coz things as such can't be exist.

Back to the question:
» How differrent is your taste in anime (or entertainment media in general) and in real life? (regarding characters and other preferences)
» Are you one of those people who mix fiction with real life or one that able to separate them completely?

I separate it but most of it are similar.
Feb 3, 2018 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
My tastes in RL and anime are very different. Most of my fav characters (usually the guys lol) are people that I wouldn't want to associate with if they exists in reality because they are either assholes or sadistic.

And I also can't stand it when people give you shit for liking a character that's not pure and wholesome or whatever crap.
Feb 3, 2018 4:46 AM
Jun 2017
"Nobody would date a psycho in real life"

Myth busted
Feb 3, 2018 4:59 AM

Dec 2013
Yep, yep. There's a big difference. Basically all my favorite characters are huge jerks or just straight out villains. This is probably because bad guys are the ones bringing out the tension, and thus making me enjoy the series more. Of course, IRL I'd want to have nothing to do with them, but it works for narrative purposes.

This also applies to romantic leads by the way. I simply do not enjoy watching fluffy shows where there is no obstacle between the characters, regardless of what it is (no offense, but I hate shows like Ore Monogatari and Tsuki ga Kirei). Easiest way to do this is usually to make the guy ridiculously aggressive asshole, or alternatively take the yandere route with the girl. Either way, one of the leads has to be a horrible person lol.

This might be a bit off-topic, but I also seem to have different genre preferences when it comes to anime vs. live-action. For example, I hate horror genre in live-action, but like it a lot in anime. It's probably because I just like creepy atmosphere but hate jumpscares lol.
Mar 31, 2018 6:40 PM

Jan 2010
Mar 31, 2018 6:43 PM

May 2009
The characters I like tend to have similar personalities as the people I like. For example, I don't like manipulative asshats who falsely plead innocence in real life, and I don't like manipulative asshats who falsely plead innocence in fiction either. I don't like psychotic stalkers in real life, and I don't like psychotic stalkers in fiction either. I like earnest, considerate people in real life, and I also like earnest, considerate characters in fiction.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 31, 2018 7:23 PM

Jul 2017
My tastes are kinda similar in real life though.

- I hate men who are jerks both in fiction and real life
- Taboo will always be bad
- I love nice guys and would love to date one
- Romance warms my heart and is one of my favorite genres

And more...

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!

More topics from this board

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - 2 minutes ago

0 by ZXEAN »»
2 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

85 by Cammell »»
4 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - May 10

100 by MHRX_999 »»
6 minutes ago

» Your biggest why …? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - 8 hours ago

50 by Bubble_Fish »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime sequels that fell off

ST63LTH - Yesterday

36 by DarkShame2 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.