Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone who seen Robotech and would like to compare it to Macross?

New
Oct 18, 2017 12:41 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
This is actually pretty epic

From what I know, Robotech is the American version of Macross, but with big changes and used to be on MAL long ago.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 18, 2017 5:05 AM

Feb 2013
robotech is not only macross but also 2 other shows made to be part of the same univers

i dont think many people [on Anime Discussion] watched it.. it's the kind of series more interesting to read about and make database rules around
Oct 18, 2017 1:00 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
ohhh I find this information so fascinating too. People on anime discussion are weird, I got interested in Robotech easily, but no one else seems interested. Macross/Robotech stayed off my radar cause the people's silence of good mecha anime. Gets pretty annoying seeing TTGL or Code Geass being recommended as the only mecha that exists, there are lots better. Plan on making this my few dubbed anime. I heard Robotech was well received in the NA release, years before Gundam Wing and Seed came out to take the storm.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 18, 2017 1:08 PM

Jan 2009
i have seen Robotech but it was too long ago back when i was still a kid in the 90s

i remember liking the Bioroids arc since there are also motorbikes that transform to become the hero's power suit to fight those Bioroids
Oct 18, 2017 1:09 PM

Apr 2012
I don't get why bother with Robotech when you can watch the true complete version that is Macross. I wouldn't recommend the two other shows. Mospeada is decent (and influenced Cowboy Bebop in a way) but Southern Cross is plain bad.

It's a bit like watching Shogun Assassin. It's good but it doesn't compare to the original Lone Wolf and Cub movies.
EratiKOct 18, 2017 1:13 PM
Oct 18, 2017 1:20 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Robotech's theme is definitely better though, it reminds me of Superman's theme lol
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 18, 2017 1:29 PM

Aug 2016
I saw Robotech when it was first aired on television after school. I was in first and second grade and I loved it. It ruined me for shows like The Transformers and G.I. Joe because it had a continuing storyline, characters that developed and changed over time (some even died), and pretty much introduced me to anime more than other shows brought over and aimed at kids did (like Belle and Sebastian or Maya the Bee).

Compared to the source material, though, it is weak. The shows had to be edited heavily to present a single continuous saga as well as to be "suitable" for children. The first dose of "true" Macross I got was Macross Plus and Macross: Do You Remember Love?, which are among my favorite anime.

The Macross universe is also more interesting than the Robotech universe because, honestly, Carl Macek was kind of a hack. His original story ideas weren't really all that good. He tried to make sequels to Robotech but they never really got off of the ground. His influence in bringing anime to the West cannot be understated and for that we owe him but at the same time, Harmony Gold's tyrannical ownership of the intellectual property rights in the West for the original program are stifling and unforgivable.

All that being said, I love the original Macross and its Japanese successors (except for Delta, which I've not yet seen). I've really no interest in revisiting Robotech at all. I've seen Southern Cross and it was okay (as was Super Dimension Century Orguss) and Genesis Climber Mospeada was pretty good. However, none of them had the vision and storytelling chops that came to bear in the original Macross, even if their animation was routinely better (Macross had some serious issues with outsourcing episodes to other studios and one episode in particular is almost entirely comprised of key frames with little or no in-between animation).
Oct 18, 2017 1:38 PM

Jan 2009
wow i just saw the youtube video in the first post and its a remake of the robotech opening in modern animation, nostalgia overload!
Oct 18, 2017 1:48 PM

May 2015
I started Macross this year (with Zero, which was my mistake), and finished all of the series. I enjoyed every single one of them and gave each of them an above average score at the very least (including II and 7). Watching Macross from the original to Delta is a great anime adventure on its own. It's that one series that can do whatever it wants and get away with it, because it's Macross lol. I'm looking forward to the Delta movie and the new Macross coming next year (most likely Fall 2018).

Now for the comparisons between Robotech and Macross...Specifically speaking of the Macross Saga, Robotech changed several things from the original which wouldn't really fit with the rest of the Macross universe, which is why it would be highly preferable to watch the original Macross rather than Robotech. Also, Robotech cut out a certain scene involving a mother and her child...
Oct 18, 2017 2:50 PM

Jan 2017
I am on the death to Robotech bandwagon. I saw robotech when I was a kid and loved it, then I found it was 3 different shows. I then bought the Macross boxset and I have never watched Robotech again and then I have seen every other series except 7. I am not a Minmay fan but the Robotech version pisses off more than the Japanese version (Iijima Mari fan) more of a Misa fan myself. Avoid Robotech at all costs.
Oct 18, 2017 2:57 PM

Feb 2010
Gaiking said:

From what I know, Robotech is the American version of Macross, but with big changes and used to be on MAL long ago.

Robotech is the monster that consumed 3 different anime resulting in the death of two of them and preventing anything with macross content from coming over to the west.

i.e no last centuries episode no super robot wars, no macross animes, no macross games all because one greedy ass cooperation called harmony gold who claimed "because your not part of our country you can't stop us from using your stuff with out your consent"

Harmony gold is a blight on this land and the sooner it shutdown the better we will all be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony_Gold_USA#Legal_issues_regarding_Macross_copyright

harmony gold are basically your typical monopolistic scumbag.
GrimAtramentOct 18, 2017 3:01 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 18, 2017 3:12 PM

Dec 2012
hazarddex said:
Gaiking said:

Robotech is the monster that consumed 3 different anime resulting in the death of two of them and preventing anything with macross content from coming over to the west.

i.e no last centuries episode no super robot wars, no macross animes, no macross games all because one greedy ass cooperation called harmony gold who claimed "because your not part of our country you can't stop us from using your stuff with out your consent"

Harmony gold is a blight on this land and the sooner it shutdown the better we will all be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony_Gold_USA#Legal_issues_regarding_Macross_copyright

harmony gold are basically your typical monopolistic scumbag.

Basically this for me as well, except I hate the company and not the show which was pretty good. The original Macross was still better though. I own both on DVD.

Anyhow the tyrany may end in 2021

http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-14/harmony-gold-macross-mospeada-southern-cross-licenses-still-expire-in-2021/.121372
KruszerOct 18, 2017 3:22 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

More topics from this board

» How do you react to getting spoiled?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

9 by Coaghim »»
4 minutes ago

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - May 4

44 by Zamus_Edits »»
5 minutes ago

» If you had to watch one of the animes in the top 50 of MAL with your family, which one would you choose and why?

ToastWithNutella - 1 hour ago

6 by perseii »»
5 minutes ago

» Are anime getting worse and worse ? ( 1 2 )

Shomix - Yesterday

58 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
6 minutes ago

» Terminator: The Anime Series | Official Announcement

deg - Nov 11, 2023

30 by Harmonmj13 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.