Forum Settings
Forums

Researchers in Sweden have found Arabic characters woven into burial costumes from Viking boat graves. The discovery raises new questions about the influence of Islam in Scandinavia, writes journalist Tharik Hussain.

New
Oct 13, 2017 11:34 PM

Mar 2008

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-41567391

I wonder if it just turns out to be a coincidence or if it shows cultural contact.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 13, 2017 11:38 PM

Jul 2016
"writes journalist Tharik Hussain."

Totally not biased.
Oct 13, 2017 11:44 PM

Jan 2013
Well that's interesting.

Some cloth must've ended up there via trade / raiding.
It's too early to start speculating on how Islam could've affected Vikings though.
Oct 14, 2017 8:02 AM

Jan 2014
Nyu said:

Totally not biased.

lol

in other news viking were Muslims
Oct 14, 2017 8:07 AM

Apr 2016
It all sound interesting until that "journalist Tharik Hussain" appeared.
Oct 14, 2017 8:31 AM

Mar 2017
Nyu said:

Totally not biased.
It has been covered by quite a few news outlets so I don't think that is an issue
Oct 14, 2017 8:38 AM

Aug 2013
They've already found many items and valuables of Middle-Eastern origin in Scandinavia, so it doesn't really come as a surprise that there would be Arabic influences in some of the things; Nordic traders and mercenaries often travelled down south and interacted with the other traders there via trade routes, and some probably experienced many things that changed their outlook on things (as well as a lot of cool foreign swag!). There is nothing controversial about this. The controversial part would obviously be if these Northmen really were "Muslims," which I really doubt. Also, at one point during the middle ages it was common practice to imitate Arab art and style, without it having any deeper implications than being a fancy fashion statement.

Generally speaking, people have a tendency of jumping to conclusions a lot when it comes to viking-related stuff. "See, this cloth proves that vikings were muslims!" or "This woman was buried with a ceremonial sword – she was obviously a shieldmaiden! This challenges everything we previously thought we knew about the vikings for sure!" etc.
MoogOct 14, 2017 9:41 AM
Oct 14, 2017 8:41 AM

Apr 2013
This article needs to chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllll with the drama. It's already known that Viking trade routes extended all the way to Baghdad, Constantinople, and Jerusalem. Besides back then the Muslim world was quite influential, and a traces of its cultural impacts can be found all over Europe, North Africa and Asia. I don't think Arabic artifacts are signs that ancient Swedes took Islam seriously, just more evidence of cultural exchange and trade between Europe and the middle east. Damn, talk about jumping the gun.
Oct 14, 2017 8:44 AM

Jan 2013
NudeBear said:
This article needs to chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllll with the drama. It's already known that Viking trade routes extended all the way to Baghdad, Constantinople, and Jerusalem. Besides back then the "Muslim world" was quite influential, and a traces of its cultural impacts can be found all over Europe, North Africa and Asia. I don't think "Arabic artifacts" are signs that ancient Swedes took Islam seriously, just more evidence of cultural exchange between Europe and the middle east. Damn, talk about jumping the gun.

That's basically my problem with the article.
On itself, it's interesting that the stuff found it's way into Scandinavia, but it's hardly proof of anything else.
Oct 14, 2017 9:01 AM

Mar 2014
I don’t see what’s so mind blowing about this. It’s already a well known fact that the trade routes of the vikings extended all the way to the Middle East, so it’s not that unbelievable that one or two vikings might have found some Middle Eastern pattern they liked and then decided to weave similar patterns into their clothings.

Unless the writer is somehow trying to make the argument that Scandinavia used to be Islamic, if so then I only have one thing to say and that is LOL
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 14, 2017 9:40 AM

Apr 2014
Thread cleaned

Please keep on topic and don't derail the thread to insult other people.
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Oct 14, 2017 10:21 AM

Jul 2015
is almos as if vikings were traders, raiders, & pillagers whom wold bring back loot to hoemland
also ever haerd of vangarian guards?
Oct 14, 2017 10:23 AM

Apr 2016
Salvatia said:
vangarian guards?

It's Varangian and it means in language of slavs "Viking"
SwagernatorOct 14, 2017 10:38 AM
Oct 14, 2017 1:46 PM

Mar 2008
NoLiferSoul said:
Thread cleaned

Aw I missed the shit show.

Comic_Sans said:
I don’t see what’s so mind blowing about this. It’s already a well known fact that the trade routes of the vikings extended all the way to the Middle East, so it’s not that unbelievable that one or two vikings might have found some Middle Eastern pattern they liked and then decided to weave similar patterns into their clothings.

Unless the writer is somehow trying to make the argument that Scandinavia used to be Islamic, if so then I only have one thing to say and that is LOL

I just wanted to see what would happen if I put this out there since it seemed to make that implication almost although it did cllarify it was likely just copying.

Moog said:
They've already found many items and valuables of Middle-Eastern origin in Scandinavia, so it doesn't really come as a surprise that there would be Arabic influences in some of the things; Nordic traders and mercenaries often travelled down south and interacted with the other traders there via trade routes, and some probably experienced many things that changed their outlook on things (as well as a lot of cool foreign swag!). There is nothing controversial about this. The controversial part would obviously be if these Northmen really were "Muslims," which I really doubt. Also, at one point during the middle ages it was common practice to imitate Arab art and style, without it having any deeper implications than being a fancy fashion statement.

Generally speaking, people have a tendency of jumping to conclusions a lot when it comes to viking-related stuff. "See, this cloth proves that vikings were muslims!" or "This woman was buried with a ceremonial sword – she was obviously a shieldmaiden! This challenges everything we previously thought we knew about the vikings for sure!" etc.

Is there some map of their route? Im curious how they went to the middle east when part of it is pretty land locked.
Oct 14, 2017 2:49 PM

Feb 2010
Nyu said:

Totally not biased.

Nah your just neck deep in the Nile river. Paddle faster reality is behind you.

I mean in reality humans travel a lot so it wouldn't be surprising if they pulled influence from each other. Like with most cultures not a single one doesn't pull influence from another culture.
GrimAtramentOct 14, 2017 2:53 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 14, 2017 3:17 PM

May 2015
traed said:
NoLiferSoul said:
Thread cleaned

Comic_Sans said:

I just wanted to see what would happen if I put this out there since it seemed to make that implication almost although it did cllarify it was likely just copying.

Moog said:

Is there some map of their route? Im curious how they went to the middle east when part of it is pretty land locked.

They went down the Don and Dnjepr rivers through Ukraine to the Black Sea, then ported from the Sea of Azov to the Volga River, where they got to the Caspian Sea, from where it was only a short route to Baghdad, the main city of the Islamic world at the time. Their main trade was here, though there are also implications in the sagas that some served as Byzantine mercenaries in Inner Anatolia and the Levant, specifically it is said that Norwegian king Harald Haardraada visited Jerusalem while in Byzantine service.

A crude map of their routes are found here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Varangian_routes.png

OT: Anyone who's ever opened up a book about the Viking Age knows that Swedish vikings in particular had plenty of contact with the Middle East, and that trade contacts were extensive, even ad Buddha statue has been found in a Viking Age trade post in Sweden, and we have accounts of an Arab merchant visiting Denmark in the tenth century. This is an interesting find further corroborating what we already know, but it doesn't come with anything new to our Viking knowledge, at least not until further investigations are made. Anyone trying to draw any meaningful connection between this and the current day migrant crisis is just laughable.
Oct 14, 2017 3:29 PM

Dec 2016
I just figured some 13th Warrior kinda shit had happened. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 14, 2017 8:20 PM

Mar 2015
traed said:
NoLiferSoul said:
Thread cleaned

what i have been missed? damn

andslightly reminder that descovery age strted because yiu guys desperate for trade...

people simply underestimating a lot trade, and more focusing historical religion, and political big people...

traed said:

europe is more landlocked than middle east during that time...
KumaOct 14, 2017 8:27 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 14, 2017 9:08 PM

Mar 2008
Fijure said:

They went down the Don and Dnjepr rivers through Ukraine to the Black Sea, then ported from the Sea of Azov to the Volga River, where they got to the Caspian Sea, from where it was only a short route to Baghdad, the main city of the Islamic world at the time. Their main trade was here, though there are also implications in the sagas that some served as Byzantine mercenaries in Inner Anatolia and the Levant, specifically it is said that Norwegian king Harald Haardraada visited Jerusalem while in Byzantine service.

A crude map of their routes are found here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Varangian_routes.png

OT: Anyone who's ever opened up a book about the Viking Age knows that Swedish vikings in particular had plenty of contact with the Middle East, and that trade contacts were extensive, even ad Buddha statue has been found in a Viking Age trade post in Sweden, and we have accounts of an Arab merchant visiting Denmark in the tenth century. This is an interesting find further corroborating what we already know, but it doesn't come with anything new to our Viking knowledge, at least not until further investigations are made. Anyone trying to draw any meaningful connection between this and the current day migrant crisis is just laughable.

Oh right I forgot to think about rivers since I didn't recall what was available.

That's actually what a lot of people are doing which is how i found out about this. They are pretty stupid.

Kuma said:

andslightly reminder that descovery age strted because yiu guys desperate for trade...

people simply underestimating a lot trade, and more focusing historical religion, and political big people...

europe is more landlocked than middle east during that time...

I find Crash Course to be difficult to listen to plus it shouldn't be used as a go to source for information since I in the past found many videos with totally wrong information so I hope you don't do that for topics you're less familiar with.

I knew they traded a traveled a lot but i want sure how frequent it was.
Oct 14, 2017 9:17 PM

Mar 2015
traed said:
I find Crash Course to be difficult to listen to plus it shouldn't be used as a go to source for information since I in the past found many videos with totally wrong information so I hope you don't do that for topics you're less familiar with.

I knew they traded a traveled a lot but i want sure how frequent it was.

yes i know, but what i expect from cramped 10 minutes video for something that in my history degree, it course alone it spend in 2 semester (trade history I and II)... but at least, it's has general same argument, tho his example also overly generelized...

in my native alone, a singe port called bantan/banten, it's exported 200 jung (a kind of traditional ship, around 10 ton equal to this days) of dryed papper in a year, it was around 15 th century... it was a single item, for a single port (that wasn't that big port, the bigger one in malaka strait)... they imported of 4000 of a finest sword from arabs...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 18, 2017 9:34 AM

Jan 2008
Viking textile did not feature word 'Allah', expert says

Medieval Islamic art and archaeology professor Stephennie Mulder disputes the findings, saying the inscription has 'no Arabic at all'

An expert has disputed claims that Allah's name was embroidered into ancient Viking burial clothes - a discovery hailed as "staggering" when Swedish researchers announced their findings last week.

After reexamining the cloth, archaeologist Annika Larsson of Uppsala University claimed the silk patterns which were originally thought to be ordinary Viking Age decoration, showed a geometric Kufic script. The patterns were found on woven bands as well as items of clothing in two separate grave sites, prompting the suggestion that Viking funeral customs had been influenced by Islam.

Media around the world including The Independent reported on the finding, but now a leading expert in mediaeval Islamic art and archaeology has disputed the claim and said the inscription contains "no Arabic at all."

Stephennie Mulder, a professor from the University of Texas in Austin, said the error stems from a "serious problem of dating". She claims Kufic script did not occur until 500 years after the Viking age.

"It’s a style called square Kufic, and it’s common in Iran, C. Asia on architecture after 15th century," she wrote on Twitter.

She said even if Kufic script did exist, the inscription embroidered into the textile still does not mean anything in Arabic.

"Let’s assume there are 10th century Central Asian textiles with square Kufic. Even so, it turns out Larsson’s drawing doesn’t say ‘Allah'," she wrote. "Instead the drawing says للله ‘lllah’, which basically makes no sense in Arabic.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/allah-viking-burial-fabrics-false-kufic-inscription-clothes-name-woven-myth-islam-uppsala-sweden-a8003881.html
Oct 18, 2017 10:14 AM

Jan 2011
Dafuq is this shit lol?
Oct 18, 2017 2:15 PM

Mar 2008

I kind of had a feeling it might be something like that since this story reminded me of how some Muslims thought an egg had Allah on it
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.