Forum Settings
Forums

Why do girls in anime never lock the door when they are using the bathroom or having a shower and everyone is alright with it?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 3, 2020 9:44 PM
Feb 2019
Personally, when I'm showering, I never lock the door, hell, when I'm with my family only, I even keep the door open so the steam gets out. Whenever there's someone at my house, I always close the door and not lock it, because where I live, people still have 2 remaining brain cells to knock or check if someone is there. I also close the shower curtains.
Apr 10, 2021 10:54 PM

Aug 2018
there wouldn't be much "plot" if they did otherwise.
Apr 11, 2021 2:04 AM

Oct 2020
Because uhh... they need a way to gave some fanservice in the show?

"ꜱᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ, ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴜɴɪᴛᴇᴅ, ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʙᴀʀʀᴇᴅ ʙʏ ɴᴏ ᴅᴏᴏʀ..." -Aigis
Apr 11, 2021 4:12 AM
Jul 2018
I feel like you're looking too deeply into the realism of accidental situations in anime. It's not something that's supposed to be logically understood. It's supposed to make you laugh.
Apr 11, 2021 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
I've never had a bathroom door that can lock at home lol

Public bathrooms are smg else
Apr 11, 2021 4:43 PM

Jan 2020
Probably because they aren't expecting someone to barge in

Apr 11, 2021 4:58 PM

Aug 2013
The funny thing is that real girls will show of their beach bodies in bikinis (most of them) at the beach with absolutely no problem at all. Yet the same girls would scream HELL if you catch them in their underwear. As a male I find that quiet funny so the cliche tsundere hitting the MC to the moon never gets old. It's funny, cause it's true.

Also, I'm not sure, but maybe a pretty good valid reason to NOT lock the door of the bathroom is because often the boiler is in the same room. Boilers can malfunction and release deadly odorless gasses. In case of an emergency, a locked door does not help to apply first aid ASAP.

CoaghimApr 11, 2021 5:02 PM
When will Black Clover release new anime?! It has been 3 years already since March 2021...
Mar 4, 2022 8:13 AM
Mar 2022
it gets on my nerves whenever something like this happens in anime, because its always the same - Girl(s) are in bathroom, guy walks in and gets scolded for it. Funny. haha. Handling this situation differently is what makes an anime better imo. Like when the guy/girl in the bathroom doesn't make a fuss, or if they have indeed locks. I don't know why, its just really annoying for me how its always the same thing in 95% of anime and that's mostly also the highlight of those episodes to choose best toilet..
naheyi76Mar 21, 2022 7:27 AM
Jun 13, 2022 9:13 PM
Apr 2021
MDLegs said:
When I was a kid my parents always told me to leave the bathroom door unlocked while taking a shower, just in case I slipped and fell. That way they could come in and help me.

I guess it's the same way with anime girls, if the door wasn't unlocked when they fell and hit their head in the shower, how could the MC come in and molest them?

You know they can always break down the door or change the lock so you can use key in case of emergencies.
Jun 14, 2022 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
For once I want to see a girl saying: "So what? Never seen someone naked? Get over it", if a guy happens to get in.
Tbh I also forgot once, but didn't beat the guy up lol.

Jun 14, 2022 11:24 AM
Jul 2018
It's just gender humor for teens with raging hormones who've probably never seen other teens of the opposite gender naked. I've personally never had those moments. Naturally, bathrooms and showers for boys and girls have always been separated through my years going to school. And I've never had a girl come over to my house needing to take a shower.
Jun 14, 2022 11:55 AM

Aug 2018
They do lock the door all the times nobody walks in on them. But you never remember those moments, you pervert!!!
Jun 14, 2022 11:57 AM

Sep 2018
The girls in anime are huge exhibitionists to please the fans.
Jun 14, 2022 12:48 PM

Apr 2017
One thing I hate about my sister is that she always used to go to the bathroom with the door open. Its not normal. Like what are you doing?
She would lock the door in the shower but whenever going pee she wouldn't bother to close the door.

Jun 14, 2022 12:50 PM

Jan 2021
Do you guys have locks in your bathrooms? I know I don't have them, so anyone can walk and leave at any time when I'm showering, sure I have a curtain in the shower part but still.

So I think it is that, besides once you see it enough you will laugh at how many times you have seen it instead of laughing because the scene happened, at least that's what hapens to me.
Jun 14, 2022 1:14 PM

Nov 2011
I think guys walking into a girl showering pretty much only happens in anime, particularly those aimed at male teens.

As for real life and as people already mentioned, you can easily tell if someone is using the bathroom because the lights are on and/or there's the sound of water running.

I used to lock the door when showering, but came to understand that most people should leave the doors closed, but unlocked - unless they have strong reasons to keep it locked. The reason is simple: medical emergency. If, for example, the floor is wet and you accidentally trip and fall, hitting your head on the floor, you will most likely need immediate medical help. At this point, seeking medical treatment is more important than the shame of your body being exposed to the opposite gender of your family. Leaving the door unlocked could mean the difference between life and death (especially if you lose consciousness while on the bathtub).
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 14, 2022 1:20 PM
May 2022
Swagernator said:
You can't prevent it from happening, otherwise you lost 99% of plot in harem shows.
These types of titles have a rule it seems that all fan-service and sexual content must be accidental; it can never actually be deliberate as this would apparently break the immersion for self-inserters.
Knock knock. Open up the door; it's real; with the non-stop pop-pop of stainless steel.
Jun 14, 2022 4:40 PM
Aug 2021
If I'm not mistaken in Japan it is like that. Not locking the door to be polite.
Jun 14, 2022 4:50 PM

Apr 2020
I don't lock the door either. No real point.
Jun 14, 2022 4:51 PM

May 2016
I'm pretty sure Ayase lampshades this in Midori Days, all the way back in 2003. In her case, it was intentional.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 14, 2022 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
Like others have said in this thread, they are exhibitionists.
Jun 14, 2022 5:22 PM
Mar 2017
The trope being over played, for someone to bring in a change of clothes. Because ecchi scenes. A number of reasons we can guess. Though if sliding doors of traditional buildings sure but modern houses yeah never understood that in anime but doesn't set up for those scenes I guess.

Same reason they leave their cars running when in other countries someone would steal it but they will leave it running and it's just normal in real life (from what I saw of a Western Youtuber that covers Japan type travel channels just going to a convenience store and just seeing them left unattended and the many cars running and parked).

My guess is just no need to worry as much, politeness or something while other countries would always lock everything and in western shows that is carried over of course as well to lock your doors or close them unless intended as part of the scene say to sneak in an find their diary or something particular to the scene like say 'this character has a secret and need to find out what' and go 'why are you in here'. I don't know.
Suntanned_Duck2Jun 14, 2022 5:32 PM
Jun 14, 2022 6:49 PM

Dec 2012
Not everyone is paranoid enough to put locks on doors inside their own house that already has locks on the entrances.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 14, 2022 7:48 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
All the wonen locked their doors in city hunter but ryo broke in anyway...

Jun 15, 2022 8:49 AM

May 2021
Just an anime thing so the central plot of the show is on full display.

Jun 15, 2022 9:32 AM

Mar 2017
If a guy accidentally walks in on a girl taking a shower:
Real life: The guy quickly averts his eyes, apologizes, and backs out.
Anime: The guy freezes up and stares long enough for the girl to punch him and call him a pervert.
It's one of the more tiresome tropes.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

42 by APolygons2 »»
12 seconds ago

» New anime fans have an extreme inferiority complex and huge beef with older fans

EastIndiaCompany - 6 minutes ago

2 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 5 minutes ago

2 by Zimmu »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 2 hours ago

13 by Lucifrost »»
5 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

72 by Toooooooooohru »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.