Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 3, 2017 5:27 AM

Jun 2011
From what I've seen at anime clubs, conventions and other gatherings, that seems to be the case. I haven't met anyone who looks like they would be able blend in with at your average college/sorority frathouse or corporate office. I'm willing to be proved wrong though. Would be interesting to see some bleach blonde preppy girl be into magical girl or even male idol anime for one thing.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 3, 2017 5:34 AM

Feb 2013
Ahegyao said:
I haven't met anyone who looks like they would be able blend in with at your average college/sorority frathouse or corporate office.
where you live do people look so stereotypical that it's immediatly obvious they belong to one of these places?
Jul 3, 2017 5:35 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
LOL well as someone who looks like the opposite of an anime fan and has friends who do as well, i wouldn't be surprised at this point if anyone was low key watching anime

although honestly i don't find too many of those kinds of people being anime fans
Jul 3, 2017 5:38 AM

Jun 2011
romagia said:
Ahegyao said:
I haven't met anyone who looks like they would be able blend in with at your average college/sorority frathouse or corporate office.
where you live do people look so stereotypical that it's immediatly obvious they belong to one of these places?

Ironically enough, I live in one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the US and seriously, this is the one group of people I have not even seen express any kind of interest for anime/manga. I've met hardcore gangstas who loved DBZ for instance.

EcchiLordMamster said:
LOL well as someone who looks like the opposite of an anime fan and has friends who do as well, i wouldn't be surprised at this point if anyone was low key watching anime

although honestly i don't find too many of those kinds of people being anime fans

Maybe, but I feel like they're the ones who're more easily turned off by anime/manga since most of them don't pander to their tastes.
Jul 3, 2017 5:40 AM

Oct 2015
you'd never guess i'm such a giant weeb irl. i'm super into fashion and look like the type of person who would spit on your grandma (i wouldn't, i get along really well with old folks - also, that's what i've been told)

i've also had a friend who was a broker and dressed super sharp but was a giant ass weeb. i still have lots of weeb friends who wouldn't fit the part at all, judging by their aesthetic.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Jul 3, 2017 5:42 AM

Jun 2011
I was on the homecoming court in high school and I was president of anime club. You can be a giant weeb and popular at the same time. You don't have to choose.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jul 3, 2017 5:45 AM

Sep 2016
there are a lot of them, they just won't show off to everyone in the world that they love anime so much it some of my friends, group mate for presentation and myself also like that although I think "preppy" isn't really the suitable word for non-nerd-look-a-like people. I don't know how is it in USA, maybe more rare.

but I have 1 crazy well known example, check melon pan youtube channel
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 3, 2017 5:46 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
"you don't look like someone who likes anime"

i've gotten this phrase so many fucking times, and its funny in general how people react when they realize who i am, cause many times i've gotten the cold shoulder from anime fans until they find out my weeb level XD
Jul 3, 2017 6:01 AM

Jun 2011
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
I was on the homecoming court in high school and I was president of anime club. You can be a giant weeb and popular at the same time. You don't have to choose.

Preppy doesn't always mean popular. You can dress in Vineyard Vines polos and Sperry's boat shoes and still be the buttmonkey of the group.
Jul 3, 2017 6:03 AM

Jun 2015
Well, that country must not have been Asian then.
Jul 3, 2017 6:07 AM

Mar 2017
I once watched anime while waiting for the autoclave to finish sterilizing the equipment. For all you know, your doctor is an anime fan. Anything is possible.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jul 3, 2017 6:12 AM

Feb 2013
Ahegyao said:
romagia said:

Ironically enough, I live in one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the US and seriously, this is the one group of people I have not even seen express any kind of interest for anime/manga. I've met hardcore gangstas who loved DBZ for instance.
this is a double implication sort of thing

what you say sounds like [someone is preppy] => [do they like anime?]

but my post was more like [someone likes anime] => [are they preppy?]
and this one is harder to say for sure
romagiaJul 3, 2017 6:15 AM
Jul 3, 2017 6:14 AM

Jun 2011
romagia said:
Ahegyao said:

this is a double implication sort of thing

what you say sounds like this [someone is preppy] => [do they like anime?]

but my most was more like [someone likes anime] => [are they preppy?]
and this one is harder to say for sure

No need to complicate things. It's what said on the tin. Based on observations, I made a hypothesis. People here are offering their case studies to challenge it.
Jul 3, 2017 6:24 AM

Oct 2016
Most people who are really into anime dress like they can't fit in (including me but I dress normal when I'm at a job) and the ones that dress normal are into the most popular anime like Bleach, Naruto/Boruto, Tokyo Ghoul, and Dragon Ball.
Jul 3, 2017 6:26 AM
Jul 2015
Ahegyao said:
From what I've seen at anime clubs, conventions and other gatherings, that seems to be the case. I haven't met anyone who looks like they would be able blend in with at your average college/sorority frathouse or corporate office. I'm willing to be proved wrong though. Would be interesting to see some bleach blonde preppy girl be into magical girl or even male idol anime for one thing.

i'll eat your ass so damn hard that your nose will bleed
Jul 3, 2017 6:31 AM

Mar 2016
GangsterCat said:
there are a lot of them, they just won't show off to everyone in the world that they love anime so much it some of my friends, group mate for presentation and myself also like that although I think "preppy" isn't really the suitable word for non-nerd-look-a-like people. I don't know how is it in USA, maybe more rare.

Preppy doesn't mean non-nerd. It's people who like getting involved in pep rally's and have a lot of school spirit, while usually being a fake asshole. (at least that is the negative connotation of high school). So cheerleaders are almost always preppy. Band members are sometimes preppy. Preppy people are usually popular, but you don't have to be preppy to be popular or cool.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2017 6:48 AM

Jun 2011
Extect said:
GangsterCat said:

Preppy doesn't mean non-nerd. It's people who like getting involved in pep rally's and have a lot of school spirit, while usually being a fake asshole. (at least that is the negative connotation of high school). So cheerleaders are almost always preppy. Band members are sometimes preppy. Preppy people are usually popular, but you don't have to be preppy to be popular or cool.

I guess I am confused. I was top 5 most popular girls. There were by definition no preps at my school? Inner city school. I was voted "most spirited", "Most humorous", "Most inspirational". I appeared in the yearbook 28 times (it is actually more times than any other individual) without being in a sport- basically, what I did was attend a club for every day, and be in electives which also got you a picture, and be in the college program, and go to EVERY.SINGLE.SCHOOL.DANCE. And go to every sporting event I could! :D

I supported everyone in their dreams but I was mostly a nerd's hero! I had my shonen ai manga with me everywhere. Dressed as Misa most days. Or in some visual kei fashion. Did weird stuff like wear ball gowns and capes to school and it wasn't a spirit day! XD Fuck. People loved me though!

I did all the video production videos for the morning announcements. And I was FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE. Even got into ska music. :P
Jul 3, 2017 6:56 AM

Sep 2016
Extect said:
GangsterCat said:

well im an asshole and a band member, so i guess im one of them...
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 3, 2017 7:30 AM

Mar 2016
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Extect said:

I guess I am confused. I was top 5 most popular girls. There were by definition no preps at my school? Inner city school. I was voted "most spirited", "Most humorous", "Most inspirational". I appeared in the yearbook 28 times (it is actually more times than any other individual) without being in a sport- basically, what I did was attend a club for every day, and be in electives which also got you a picture, and be in the college program, and go to EVERY.SINGLE.SCHOOL.DANCE. And go to every sporting event I could! :D

I supported everyone in their dreams but I was mostly a nerd's hero! I had my shonen ai manga with me everywhere. Dressed as Misa most days. Or in some visual kei fashion. Did weird stuff like wear ball gowns and capes to school and it wasn't a spirit day! XD Fuck. People loved me though!

I did all the video production videos for the morning announcements. And I was FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE. Even got into ska music. :P

Yup you sound like you where a lot like a preppy kid. just with added anime stuff (also means you where probably less fake because you weren't a closet anime fan). so it's official preppy people can be into anime.

FYI the fourth answer on urban dictionary has a good explanation of the American connotation
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=preppy
Especially with this quote

-See that kid with the black pants, the nose ring and the mohawk? Instead of shoving him into a locker, I think I'll introduce myself and shake his hand, because I'm a true preppy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2017 7:39 AM

Dec 2015
I lived with a guy who used to work behind the bar in a strip club. He would frequently bring strippers back to the house at 4am, fuck them, send them on their merry way and then sit up for the rest of the night smoking weed and watching One Piece or DBZ or some other shounen nonsese.
What I'm trying to say is, all kinds of people watch anime, and there are always exceptions to any stereotype.
Jul 3, 2017 7:40 AM

Jun 2011
Extect said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

Yup you sound like you where a lot like a preppy kid. just with added anime stuff (also means you where probably less fake because you weren't a closet anime fan). so it's official preppy people can be into anime.

FYI the fourth answer on urban dictionary has a good explanation of the American connotation

-See that kid with the black pants, the nose ring and the mohawk? Instead of shoving him into a locker, I think I'll introduce myself and shake his hand, because I'm a true preppy

The least honest thing I did was lie about liking Higurashi. XD I also lied about liking Elfin Lied. I wanted my animu friends to think I was cool! I also said I didn't like Sailor Moon. To be cool like them.

Buuuuut I gave up on that. There were aspects of lying I guess... but I think my friends knew I didn't like horror much given I covered my eyes and hid in friends shoulders. "tell me when it is over!" lol My friends would call my a pussy a lot. But I did get LOTS of new people into anime, was able to get anime club events going. Hosted anime club parties with treats (I still to this day make my own baked goods to impress)

(I would have lost all anime cred if I told them I was still watching Pokemon)
Gotta have food for your friends. Oh and I had connections to popular kids who had jobs at pizza places- free pizza at anime club sometimes. <3
Energetic-NovaJul 3, 2017 7:45 AM
Jul 3, 2017 7:43 AM

Mar 2016
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Extect said:

The least honest thing I did was lie about liking Higurashi. XD I also lied about liking Elfin Lied. I wanted my animu friends to think I was cool! I also said I didn't like Sailor Moon. To be cool like them.

Buuuuut I gave up on that. There were aspects of lying I guess... but I think my friends knew I didn't like horror much given I covered my eyes and hid in friends shoulders. "tell me when it is over!" lol My friends would call my a pussy a lot. But I did get LOTS of new people into anime, was able to get anime club events going. Hosted anime club parties with treats (I still to this day make my own baked goods to impress)

Gotta have food for your friends. Oh and I had connections to popular kids who had jobs at pizza places- free pizza at anime club sometimes. <3

Haha, I said the negative connotation is being fake. So that doesn't mean it's always true. I figured just the fact that you didn't hide you are an anime fan means you weren't fake
Jul 3, 2017 7:46 AM

Jun 2011
Extect said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

Haha, I said the negative connotation is being fake. So that doesn't mean it's always true. I figured just the fact that you didn't hide you are an anime fan means you weren't fake
Yeah. I didn't ever want to be fake. But damn. If you told people you still watched Pokemon in high school and weren't just playing the games (I was doing both). I mean the games were bad enough. XD College wow people didn't care. I loved college.

Talents: Can name all the pokemon- makes you friends in college.
Jul 3, 2017 7:50 AM
Jul 2018
Anything is possible. If you saw me you would never guess I watch anime.
Jul 3, 2017 1:12 PM

Jun 2011
This is all well and good, but there hasn't been much actual examples to prove that there are preppy kids into anime.
Jul 3, 2017 1:19 PM
Jul 2018
Ahegyao said:

What cons do you visit? o.o Okay, maybe it's different in other countries, because I also heard "there are almost no girls there" and I always see enough of time. Like half of them there, especially the cosplayers. And especially many cosplayers are pretty.
I could admit that here are more weird people than in normal life I dunno, I also have thought it, but it's not the majority. Most of them just look... normal. Let's be honest, most of the non-anime-fans allso don't look top models. Most people are just normal. XD
Jul 8, 2017 8:44 PM

Jun 2017
I might not be "Preppy", but I definitely am not someone you would expect to watch anime. I am on the varsity soccer and swim team at our school and love sports. Surprisingly, I have found that almost all of the guys on the teams have watched at least naruto/some sort of anime. So, either we are a strange school, or most guys don't go out and say they watch anime unless the topic is brought up.
Jul 8, 2017 8:46 PM

Jun 2017
And before anyone gets triggered, I do understand that just because you watch anime doesn't mean you don't play sports. lol
Jul 8, 2017 8:52 PM

Feb 2017
I'm a fairly girly girl with a 'normal' look. I blended in easily enough at uni.

'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Jul 8, 2017 8:59 PM

Mar 2017
Here's the funny thing~

I can guarantee the most popular kids at our school (Cheerleaders, Volleyball Players, and Football players) do not watch anime. The anime group at my school is made up of mostly females with the exception of me and a few others. The people I know are dweebish/hella nerdy (myself included). Nobody ever guesses that I enjoy watching anime though. It must be because I come across as being very serious in real life which people don't normally associate with fans of the genre (no offense anyone).

Btw, forgot to mention I live in a small rural town where everyone 'knows' everyone.
rayneey_Jul 8, 2017 9:03 PM
Jul 8, 2017 9:09 PM

Mar 2017
Well this may not be a preppy test, but there are various "facial beauty tests" online. There is an accepted set of proportions among the beauty fanatics, you can see where you fall on the spectrum haha...

https://www.prettyscale.com

My results:

59%
You are not bad!

Prominent Features
Good face shape
Forehead too small
Wide interocular distance
Nose too wide for face
Normal mouth size
Normal chin
Poor face symmetry
Jul 8, 2017 9:16 PM

Aug 2015
Am i the only one here that has no clue what preppy means?
Jul 8, 2017 9:17 PM

Mar 2017
For lols I ran it on Kougami from Psycho Pass

25%
You are ugly!

Prominent Features
Face too wide
Forehead too small
Nose too narrow
Mouth too wide
Chin too small
Bad face symmetry
Jul 8, 2017 9:18 PM

Mar 2017
Lord_Lamington said:
Am i the only one here that has no clue what preppy means?

Preppy is someone who looks and dresses extremely nice. For example, latest fashions, newest shoes, makeup (for women), etc..l
Jul 8, 2017 9:20 PM

Mar 2017
On a super model

86%
You are pretty!

Prominent Features
Good face shape
Normal forehead size
Good interocular distance
Good nose for face
Normal mouth size
Normal chin
Good face symmetry
Jul 8, 2017 11:26 PM

Jan 2017
m3nd3r_ said:
Well this may not be a preppy test, but there are various "facial beauty tests" online. There is an accepted set of proportions among the beauty fanatics, you can see where you fall on the spectrum haha...

My results:

59%
You are not bad!

Prominent Features
Good face shape
Forehead too small
Nose too wide for face
Normal mouth size
Normal chin
Poor face symmetry

Very interesting, just took it myself, got a 83 which baffles me, I should be like a 20
83 Your are pretty
Good face shape
Normal forehead size
Big interocular distance
Wide nose
Normal mouth size
Normal chin
Good face symmetry
Jul 8, 2017 11:37 PM

Jan 2017
m3nd3r_ said:
For lols I ran it on Kougami from Psycho Pass

25%
You are ugly!

Prominent Features
Face too wide
Forehead too small
Nose too narrow
Mouth too wide
Chin too small
Bad face symmetry

LMAO Just did it on a pic of Pain from Naruto (My profile pic) and got 0% You are very ugly! Face too wide
Forehead too small
Good interocular distance
Nose too narrow
Mouth too wide
Chin too small
Bad face symmetry
Jul 8, 2017 11:47 PM

Aug 2016
They could all be closet anime fans. I suppose it may be because they like social media more, or are too concerned with studies to have a hobby. Or they simply don't dress in that preppy style when attending anime conventions or whatever.
Jul 9, 2017 12:27 AM

Sep 2015
I fall into the stereotype of preppy so wyd.
Jul 9, 2017 12:36 AM
Jun 2017
Ahegyao said:

Anime is a big Media, don't let anyone tell you otherwise
the reason it "small" is because nobody really admit that they watch anime out loud
a lot of fan don't go to convention just because they can't
if you ask, there probably a lot more people around you that watch anime than you originally think

so yeah, even if they don't look like it, there's a chance that they're a casual
Jul 9, 2017 10:48 AM

Mar 2017
taggerung2552 said:
m3nd3r_ said:

My results:

59%
You are not bad!

Prominent Features
Good face shape
Forehead too small
Nose too wide for face
Normal mouth size
Normal chin
Poor face symmetry

Very interesting, just took it myself, got a 83 which baffles me, I should be like a 20
83 Your are pretty
Good face shape
Normal forehead size
Big interocular distance
Wide nose
Normal mouth size
Normal chin
Good face symmetry

That's pretty good xD
The test is pretty accurate, so you're probably better looking than I am ;)
Jul 9, 2017 10:53 AM

Sep 2016
Ok, but...

What the hell is a "preppy"?
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Jul 9, 2017 11:03 AM

Jul 2013
well peeps in my history class are all into Hetalia (and I mean ALL of them). Popular, dressed well, makeup on, or sporty type, or smart peeps, peeps of all colors. Not sure if that alone qualifies as anime fan though.
Jul 9, 2017 11:46 AM
Jun 2017
My ex might fit the definition of "preppy" (well dressed, good grades, etc). And she has sort of an on and off relationship with anime.
Jul 9, 2017 12:54 PM

Mar 2017
manmoon said:
My ex might fit the definition of "preppy" (well dressed, good grades, etc). And she has sort of an on and off relationship with anime.

I'm not preppy but I get good grades...
Jul 9, 2017 1:03 PM
Jun 2017
I wasn't saying you have to be preppy to get good grades, that's just a trait that preppy people typically have, in my experience.
Jul 9, 2017 1:06 PM

Feb 2015
I don't really get what "preppy" means, but i have seen so many people looking like they smoked pot and still watch anime .
Jul 9, 2017 1:20 PM
Jul 9, 2017 1:31 PM

Apr 2015
I'm sure there are some. They're just smart enough not to waltz into an anime club and risk their reputations.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 9, 2017 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
m3nd3r_ said:
Here's the funny thing~

I can guarantee the most popular kids at our school (Cheerleaders, Volleyball Players, and Football players) do not watch anime. The anime group at my school is made up of mostly females with the exception of me and a few others. The people I know are dweebish/hella nerdy (myself included). Nobody ever guesses that I enjoy watching anime though. It must be because I come across as being very serious in real life which people don't normally associate with fans of the genre (no offense anyone).

Btw, forgot to mention I live in a small rural town where everyone 'knows' everyone.

Why and how can you guarantee?
I think the real difference is that you are living in a small town.

When I read about "most popular people from school" and voting and joining things like anime clubs etc... I really thought it was nothing more than a Hollywood highschool-cliche. XD

Anyway, there were good and hard times in school, because I got on a stuck9-up high school / in a class with stuck-uped girls (and ONLY girls) at first and I had to warm up them, because they were acting that way at first and vice versa. Now we get along pretty well and like each other. ^^"
But I couldn't say that I weren't almost in my whole school time generally liked by people.

Half of the people were joking about me watching anime, because they didn't like it and we also get along with each other / liked each other. Joking about your hobbies is not something hurtful, if it's not bullying. We were more of a prank-each-other-and-all-the-teachers--all-the-time-class. So it was pretty normal to roast everyone? XD

And uhm I'm always well-dressed, put make up on and perfume and I'm pretty sure that I'm not that ugly lol.

@Ahegyao
"My father is a lawyer"-starter set? XD
removed-userJul 9, 2017 3:26 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

277 by ISeeLifePeople »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Yesterday

80 by CrimsonPunk01 »»
1 minute ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - Apr 26

11 by Lhundrup »»
2 minutes ago

» Name your two favorite anime from your 2 least favorite genres/themes, and two least favorite of your most favorite genres/themes

Daviljoe193 - Apr 29

30 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is your favorite imas secretary?

Shizuna - 4 hours ago

11 by ISeeLifePeople »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.