Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this anime?
Jul 2, 2017 8:02 AM

Mar 2010
Spotlight Anime: Kanashimi no Belladonna

MAL Series Information Page: Kanashimi no Belladonna

MAL Score - 7.25 (scored by 2,676 users)
Ranked - N/A
Popularity - #3580

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

Kanashimi no Belladonna (Anime) (16/07/17)
- Yes: 7
- No: 2
- I haven't watched this anime: 51
~ Abstained: 2

Not Inducted - 78%

Kanashimi no Belladonna (Anime) (05/22)
- Yes: 12
- No: 6
- Haven't Watched: 11
~ Abstained: 0

- 66.67%
HiroM_Jun 1, 2022 5:54 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 16, 2017 12:55 PM

Dec 2007
Since this was my nom, I suppose I should say something here. :) I'll be translating my review (original here: http://naomeapeteceestudar.blogspot.pt/2016/07/belladonna-of-sadness.html)

I found this movie brilliant in its simplicity, as I shall expose:

(...)

Freely inspired in a book about witchcraft published on the 19th century, the movie shows the way of a woman that, cursed by an intense beauty, sees herself - by the force of need - possessed by a strange sexual demon. At each moment we think that she can finally be happy, even though she has the devil inside her, but the forces of evil will stop that possibility under any circumstance.

With a little touch of irony, this movie presents as a feminist manifesto (as we can see in conclusion). Notice that, even with the sexual motif under the narrative and the proposed images, the victim - Jeanne - is never guilty and all her evil or strange actions are motivated by her possession. Thus, who appears as terrible is not the demon, much less Jeanne, but the people that porsue her and mistreat her having in sight her purification. Notice as well that the "bad" deeds are, in any case, a good thing: cure the disease, show beautiful things, promote a general happyness in babelic orgies

The movie touches the genius by the power of its animatyion. Consider that this was produced in 1973! There were not computers to make these things and this is well demonstrated by the sequences we watch. It's a violent movie: it shows us ugly things, terrible things, as they should be. However, it can get to an erotic charge that is almost poetic, stretching our hearts. We can't say the images move a lote. However, there is so much expression in them that they give as a place to imagine.

Another wonderful aspect is the soundtrack. If at the begginning we have some pop moments that can be cornyO, the music evolves quickly, always constant, to a very acid experimental jazz that mashes perfectly with the shown scenes, as well as working perfectly as a singular piece.

It was an anime that touched me and made me think how animation has been evolving in an erratic direction since the 70s. It seems that back in the time they still worried about making beautiful things. I highly recommend it!

On any case, even if you vote #No, give it a try. You will certainly not regret it! :)
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 17, 2017 7:13 PM

Mar 2014
It was an interesting watch, and I don't exactly regret my time with it. However, it could have been paced much better. Every scene ended up becoming an excuse for the main theme to kick in and for the animators to experiment with a bunch of animation that ended up getting stretched out even though neither the story or the imagery required it.

Speaking of the story, it's easy enough to follow, but didn't seem to have much of any meaning. Things tend to just happen, and it's unclear what the author's message is supposed to be, or why we're supposed to care about anything that is happening. The characters aren't exactly memorable, and are pretty basic in terms of the kind of character you would commonly read in classical literature.

The art is one of the most interesting aspects of the film to me, but is also a bit polarizing. On one hand, it uses a lot of still imagery, usually made up of watercolor paintings. This at first seemed a bit bothersome, since it made the whole thing feel kind of simplistic. However, it eventually began to remind me of the old storybook programs they would air on PBS between the 60s and the 90s (Cover to Cover, Once Upon a Time, etc.)
It also had it's own unique style separate from those shows, which I came to appreciate by the end of the film, especially after having that imagery intermingled with some fluid animation work that was reminiscent of something like Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Much like Pink Floyd's film, the soundtrack here is accompanied by some great 70s psychedelic rock, which kind of just makes you want to get high and look at all of the trippy visuals, which seem to be a major aspect of the film's appeal. While I liked the music, some themes tended to get repeated a bit too often to the point where they got somewhat repetitive by the end.

Overall, this movie is definitely not for everyone. It's very experimental, and while some of these experiments created some interesting aspects, they also created a lot of flaws that end up being hard to overlook. I really only recommend watching it if you can overlook these flaws enough to appreciate the good parts, but I still don't think the experience as a whole is enjoyable, even if it is interesting to view as a curiosity.
::End of Transmission::

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.