Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 14, 2017 6:52 AM

Jul 2015
I know i will sound like a real dick but seriously... how can you guys withstand those accents. the way they talk by adding "shi sho" in their every sentence...
i watched the first episode and episode look quite amazing but their voices bothered me so much that i instantly dropped it right after the first episode ended...
so my question is don't you guys feel irritated by the way they talk.. i know i am being sarcastic but seriously. i mean like JESUS!

i am waiting for some kind of dub and i have read(red:britian english) somewhere that this anime is getting a japanese dub(lol) but i will try my luck with that.....
but seriously.......i am again sorry for being such a tard...but i just can't
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 14, 2017 7:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Probably because, you know... you're used to watching anime in Japanese rather than Chinese? I fail to see how this is any sort of valid criticism though >.>
Jun 14, 2017 2:51 PM
Jun 2017
UkRs said:
I know i will sound like a real dick but seriously... how can you guys withstand those accents. the way they talk by adding "shi sho" in their every sentence...

I might be missing the point but...are you irritated by the 'accent' or the 'language'?
Jun 14, 2017 4:29 PM
Nov 2010
You ought to get used to the voice/language. Dropping an anime simply because the voice/language is different is really dumb to be honest. You're just not used to a different language.

And where are you getting the "shi sho" anyway? This is Chinese, not Japanese. I don't remember hearing that at all in the 1st episode.
eplipswichJun 14, 2017 4:33 PM
Jun 15, 2017 1:21 AM

Jul 2015
i am irritated by the whole chinese i have watched many other tv shows with different languages like turkish dramas , arabic dramas even tamil shits.......i have even watched spanish shits!

but chinese is like the worst...
Jun 15, 2017 1:32 AM
Apr 2017
UkRs said:
i watched the first episode and episode look quite amazing but their voices bothered me so much that i instantly dropped it right after the first episode ended...
so my question is don't you guys feel irritated by the way they talk.. i know i am being sarcastic but seriously. i mean like JESUS!

i am waiting for some kind of dub and i have read(red:britian english) somewhere that this anime is getting a japanese dub(lol) but i will try my luck with that.....

nothing bother me more then ppl english dubbing japanese anime.

while in the anime it sounds like a young mature guy, its a mentally retarded 5yr in the english dubbed
Jun 15, 2017 3:37 AM
May 2017
作为一个中国人,我不习惯法语,西班牙语,……各种各样的,但我不讨厌它们.
As a Chinese, I don't get used to the French, Spanish,...All sorts of, but I don't hate them.
尊重每个国家的语言好吗?
Respect the language of every country,ok?
如果你说的是口音……中国的口音不止一种。
If you speak an accent...China has more than one accent.
大的分类分南北.
The big categories are north and south.
还有东北,西南,东南.
Also is northeast, southwest, southeast。
全职高手里叶修是标准的北方口音,少天则是南方口音
The king's yexiu's northern accent, while shaotian is a southern accent.
你可以尝试辨别它们
You can try to identify it
Jun 15, 2017 4:59 AM
Apr 2017
u dislike their accent just because of not Japaness. if u watch more Chinese donghua, u won't say it
Jun 15, 2017 5:37 AM

Jul 2015
Scarlettmaurer said:
u dislike their accent just because of not Japaness. if u watch more Chinese donghua, u won't say it

you were waiting for my topic to make your first post :P
Jun 15, 2017 2:11 PM
Jun 2017
Just to answer the question of OP.

1. There hasn't been any official announcement for a Japanese dub of QZGS
2. There were 1 or 2 books for the novel officially translated and released in Japan, but I heard they didn't do well there (correct me if anyone heard differently)

So my guess is, it's not likely to see a Japanese dub for this show very soon, since: 1. Japanese aren't very into e-sports, 2. there is basically no otaku element in this show, 3. The promotion of novel didn't go well so the producer probably won't be very confident in setting their foot in Japan.
顺便 呵呵
chzcyJun 16, 2017 12:29 AM
Jun 15, 2017 5:15 PM

Feb 2014
I thought we were friends Pakistan ):

Jun 15, 2017 5:17 PM

Jun 2015
Huh, Aren't we watching anime for the sake of fun? Not because it's Japanese??

In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jun 15, 2017 7:33 PM
Mar 2016
I can agree with the OP. I've dropped real good anime before because I couldn't stand the language. I know a lot of work are coming from China and Korea these days, but Japanese audio is really all I like. And I don't like english dubbed anime. Heck, I'm Filipino and I don't even like the sound of the language/accent. Sounds racist but it's my preference. Yeah, sure, we are all here to enjoy good anime but everyone has their preferences. You won't be able to enjoy something if there's something bothering you about it. It's about what you personally enjoy and that's what should matter.
Jun 15, 2017 9:30 PM

Jul 2015
Lemon said:
I thought we were friends Pakistan ):

LOL!
Takamura-sama said:
Huh, Aren't we watching anime for the sake of fun? Not because it's Japanese??

well you are right but we also watch anime if it gives us enjoyment rather than irritation!

Dangitzin said:
I can agree with the OP.

Thank You!
Jun 15, 2017 9:32 PM

Mar 2015
Chinese isn't an accent but go off I guess.

yeehaw
Jun 15, 2017 10:03 PM
Apr 2017
shi sho ??????
Jun 16, 2017 4:22 AM

Jun 2015
Pinyin:

« Shī Shì shí shī shǐ »

Shíshì shīshì Shī Shì, shì shī, shì shí shí shī.

Shì shíshí shì shì shì shī.

Shí shí, shì shí shī shì shì.

Shì shí, shì Shī Shì shì shì.

Shì shì shì shí shī, shì shǐ shì, shǐ shì shí shī shìshì.

Shì shí shì shí shī shī, shì shíshì.

Shíshì shī, Shì shǐ shì shì shíshì.

Shíshì shì, Shì shǐ shì shí shì shí shī.

Shí shí, shǐ shí shì shí shī shī, shí shí shí shī shī.

Shì shì shì shì.

English:

« Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den »

In a stone den was a poet called Shi Shi, who was a lion addict, and had resolved to eat ten lions.

He often went to the market to look for lions.

At ten o’clock, ten lions had just arrived at the market.

At that time, Shi had just arrived at the market.

He saw those ten lions, and using his trusty arrows, caused the ten lions to die.

He brought the corpses of the ten lions to the stone den.

The stone den was damp. He asked his servants to wipe it.

After the stone den was wiped, he tried to eat those ten lions.

When he ate, he realized that these ten lions were in fact ten stone lion corpses.

Try to explain this matter.

Here u go, OP. :p
ok :p
Jun 16, 2017 4:06 PM
Nov 2015
m
UkRs said:

maybe because readling a lot manhwa, there ton manhwa chinese manga that sooo good need to become anime tho, and yes i have read a lot of raw manhwa so chinese leagues its kinda normal for me.
Jun 16, 2017 4:46 PM

Oct 2010
That moment when weebs run out of things to complain about so they complain that a Chinese anime isn't in Japanese.

never change, mal.
Jun 16, 2017 10:13 PM

Jul 2015
HowTragic said:
That moment when weebs run out of things to complain about so they complain that a Chinese anime isn't in Japanese.

never change, mal.

for someone whose anime list is 3x times bigger than mine calling me a weeb! seems kinda odd....
still tho thank you for your informative post...
Jun 16, 2017 11:36 PM

Apr 2007
I'm not even sure if it's the language. It feels more like a lack of emotion from the VA's. They sound like people having a RL conversation and not like anime characters.
Jun 17, 2017 2:17 AM
May 2015
So you have a problem with the Chinese language? Come out and say it. You won't look good either way so might as well be truthful.
Ye Xiu's VA does a fantastic job of conveying the brotherly mocking attitude of the character.
Jun 17, 2017 4:23 AM

May 2015
UkRs said:
I know i will sound like a real dick...

You're right you do sound like a dick.
i am again sorry for being such a tard...but i just can't

Well, at least you're self aware! =)
Either don't watch it or get over it.

Killuan said:
I'm not even sure if it's the language. It feels more like a lack of emotion from the VA's.

I don't feel like there's a lack of emotion, it sounds pretty natural to me. Perhaps you're too used to Japanese voice acting, I like that the female characters actually have a normal voice unlike the typical high pitched voicing that's popular in anime.
They sound like people having a RL conversation and not like anime characters.

Lol, what? You say it like it's a bad thing. The voice acting is a nice change from the over exaggerated voicing found in most anime.

Jun 17, 2017 5:25 AM

Dec 2010
Chinese is definitely one of the worst sounding languages on earth in my opinion and the voice acting in this show doesn't make it any better either, but the anime is still fairly well done so I'm quite enjoying it nontheless.
Jun 17, 2017 5:28 AM

Sep 2009
Lol bring on the Chinese hate. They stealin' awh jahbs!
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 17, 2017 7:38 AM

Jun 2008
I guess people would find it really disappointing that real Japanese people don't talk like the way Japanese characters do in anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2017 7:43 AM

Jan 2013
i couldnt help my self but fucking laugh at this kind of post, and some of the answers.. just on point

weebs doing what they best at, mindless criticism
Jun 17, 2017 11:46 AM

Apr 2007
CtrlZED said:

Lol, what? You say it like it's a bad thing. The voice acting is a nice change from the over exaggerated voicing found in most anime.

Well, most Japanese va's can alter their voice to match a characters personality/looks. If a VA just uses their normal voice on a character it isn't going to feel right. Atleast not to me.
KilluanJun 17, 2017 11:51 AM
Jun 17, 2017 1:08 PM

May 2015
Killuan said:
CtrlZED said:

Well, most Japanese va's can alter their voice to match a characters personality/looks. If a VA just uses their normal voice on a character it isn't going to feel right. Atleast not to me.

Yea but the characters in this series are just regular people not some super powered shounen group of friends, so it would make sense that they sound normal. I haven't read the novel but Ye Xiu strikes me as a laid back and caring kinda guy that can be trolly as times, the voice is fitting for that character type. Later on there's two other characters Steamed Bun Invasion and Huang Shao Tian, they're both 'genki' types and their VA's do a great job of capturing that.

Besides, there are other ways to evoke emotion in animation than just voice acting alone such as, music, character posture, eye movement, etc.

It's different strokes for different folks I guess. I dropped that nazi loli anime within 5 minutes last season because I absolutely could not stand her voice.
Jun 17, 2017 1:41 PM
Jan 2011
Voice acting is still a new field in China so obviously they're not perfect like Japan who had 50 years to perfect this art. In GLORY the VA is probably the worst score for me but the animation as well as music and story is what keeps me interested. I do sympathize with not liking the sound of a certain language, for me it's Cantonese for you its Mandarin, for my friend its Korean. Everyone have their vices no need to make a post and rant about it on MAL.
Jun 17, 2017 1:42 PM

Jan 2013
CtrlZED said:
Killuan said:

Yea but the characters in this series are just regular people not some super powered shounen group of friends, so it would make sense that they sound normal. I haven't read the novel but Ye Xiu strikes me as a laid back and caring kinda guy that can be trolly as times, the voice is fitting for that character type. Later on there's two other characters Steamed Bun Invasion and Huang Shao Tian, they're both 'genki' types and their VA's do a great job of capturing that.

Besides, there are other ways to evoke emotion in animation than just voice acting alone such as, music, character posture, eye movement, etc.

It's different strokes for different folks I guess. I dropped that nazi loli anime within 5 minutes last season because I absolutely could not stand her voice.

this man has said everything that needs to be said at this point, there's really no rebuttal point.

VA is used to portrai personality yes and if not done right it throws the show off its mark, but this post wasnt even made about ''VA don't fit'' it was literaly a ''i hate chinese dub make it weebanese pls''

Imo the voices suit perfectly and as someone who appreciates animation in general, its refreshing to see china coming into the market because it's a fascinating language
Jun 17, 2017 1:44 PM

Dec 2015
I'm pretty sure this is similar to every non-japanese anime watcher's first problem with jap dub desu.
Jun 17, 2017 2:00 PM

May 2015
EroOu said:
CtrlZED said:

this man has said everything that needs to be said at this point, there's really no rebuttal point.

VA is used to portrai personality yes and if not done right it throws the show off its mark, but this post wasnt even made about ''VA don't fit'' it was literaly a ''i hate chinese dub make it weebanese pls''

Imo the voices suit perfectly and as someone who appreciates animation in general, its refreshing to see china coming into the market because it's a fascinating language

I try to watch everything in it's original dub, be it animation or TV shows, it just sounds more natural to me. Yea, some fans can be touchy about their precious 'Chinese cartoons' when it comes to Chinese cartoons. MAL is tame compared to what I've seen on other comment sections.
Jun 17, 2017 5:23 PM

Apr 2016
Oh gosh yes. It just sounded so off. After a few episodes and some inner questioning, I adjusted and have been able to enjoy the series quite well.
Not_MuchDec 1, 2019 6:08 PM
Jun 19, 2017 9:31 PM

Dec 2015
Sensing a tinge of racism? If you are Chinese you'll know that mandarin is a rough-sounding language. Fluent mandarin speakers tend to speak with a slur; it's how they speak quickly. That said, all the lines are perfectly legible.

The voice acting itself isn't the best, maybe needs more sound production but there's nothing wrong with it.

~
Jun 22, 2017 6:31 PM

Mar 2014
Imagine a german speaking anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2017 8:29 PM

Mar 2008
I can imagine a German anime. I've actually watched enough German dialect films that it wouldn't surprise me to much, plus my heritage is German(despite being American) and I do have some understanding of the language. It doesn't matter how they sound to my ears as long as the subs are good and legible without overly bad grammar. However, when it comes to listening to the language, specifically Mandarin/Chinese, the words just sound all the same to me so it's kinda hard to make the distinction. I guess it's just so much of the "sh" and "ch" sounding elements within the language that make it sound so similar.
Jun 23, 2017 6:35 AM

Apr 2013
Guys, not liking how a language sounds is something natural and there's no racism involved at all. it's exactly the same as liking some type of voices rather than other, liking some musical instruments rather than others, liking some type of musics or melodies rather than others.
The chinese language has quite the unique feel to the ears, and some peoples are bound to not like it.
I personally speak english, french and japanese, and have notions of several other languages and listen from time to time to many more languages, and Chinese doesn't displease me. If it wasn't so difficult to pronounce I would probably try to learn it.

Now, I can't , I just can't bring myself to like how Arabic sounds. I hear it regularly because many peoples in my country (France) speak it, but no, that just sounds awful to my ears. Is that racism? I have arabs among peoples I get very well along, so I don't think so. The language just displease me.

And if the language displeases you, of course it's going to be a chore to listen to it for whole episodes long. When there's a seiyuu's voice I heavily dislike, watching a series with that seiyuu speaking a lot is an awful experience. A painful example for me is Yanase natsumi.
There's nothing wrong with experiencing that.
ZefyrisJun 23, 2017 6:40 AM
Jun 23, 2017 7:12 AM

Mar 2014
FoxSpiritShrine said:
produde1999 said:
Imagine a german speaking anime.

Not sure how it is nowadays, but actually around the 2000s German dubs were brilliant. Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Monster Rancher etc. I'd take these over any English dub even now. Mind you, I'm not German or English ;)

Wut. German sounds so harsh. They nvr sound right on cute anime like Pokemon. Unless its hitler like anime, i can understand.
Jun 28, 2017 7:35 AM

Mar 2016
UkRs said:

Actually no... It was my first time listening to chinese and at first was weird but after 5/6 episodes was already natural as it was with japanese!
My main problem here is that the subs! They appear and disappear way to fast for me and I take like 30 min to watch it then just 20 min!

If it's getting a japanese dub I'll definitly check that out but I don't think it would be easy to make... The chinese people talk way to fast for a japanese dub so they will have to talk faster then they're used to!
Jun 28, 2017 6:11 PM
Apr 2011
Chinese is one of the most beautiful sounding languages in the world. Either you just need to get used to it, or your ears simply suck, or you're just subconsciously racist.
Jul 5, 2017 9:45 PM

Jun 2014
MadSc said:
Pinyin:

« Shī Shì shí shī shǐ »

Shíshì shīshì Shī Shì, shì shī, shì shí shí shī.

Shì shíshí shì shì shì shī.

Shí shí, shì shí shī shì shì.

Shì shí, shì Shī Shì shì shì.

Shì shì shì shí shī, shì shǐ shì, shǐ shì shí shī shìshì.

Shì shí shì shí shī shī, shì shíshì.

Shíshì shī, Shì shǐ shì shì shíshì.

Shíshì shì, Shì shǐ shì shí shì shí shī.

Shí shí, shǐ shí shì shí shī shī, shí shí shí shī shī.

Shì shì shì shì.

English:

« Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den »

In a stone den was a poet called Shi Shi, who was a lion addict, and had resolved to eat ten lions.

He often went to the market to look for lions.

At ten o’clock, ten lions had just arrived at the market.

At that time, Shi had just arrived at the market.

He saw those ten lions, and using his trusty arrows, caused the ten lions to die.

He brought the corpses of the ten lions to the stone den.

The stone den was damp. He asked his servants to wipe it.

After the stone den was wiped, he tried to eat those ten lions.

When he ate, he realized that these ten lions were in fact ten stone lion corpses.

Try to explain this matter.

Here u go, OP. :p

Hiliarious !! I knew S is very commonly used for Mandarin, but I didn't know you could form so many sentences with it hahaha
Jul 5, 2017 10:23 PM
May 2017
@ukRs

You're probably just used to listening to japanese when watching anime. I already understand chinese, so I was used to the sound of them speaking chinese. Just give it a try. The voices is no reason to quit Quan Zi Gao Shou

Jul 9, 2017 10:08 AM
Mar 2016
Somewhat agree with OP. I'm Chinese myself and even I can't stand the voices of the characters. The accent is just beyond annoying imo.
Jul 10, 2017 1:26 AM

Jul 2017
I'm from the UK, and I live in an region which has a decent sized Chinese community, so the language doesn't sound strange to me. Within walking distance of my house, we have a Chinese chip shop, a Chinese Takeaway shop, and a nice Chinese sit-down restaurant. I'm also a fan of Hong Kong martial arts movies, and the sci-fi series Firefly, which has a lot of swearing in Chinese.

Someone said (I forget who), that they speak too fast, but I thought that apart from Mr Chatterbox, Steamed Bun, and occasionally Chen Gao when she's excited, that everyone speaks in a fairly laid back manner. Seriously, I hear Chinese spoken much faster in normal conversation on the street.

If you want difficult, try watching Polish crime drama... So many consonants!! Even though my home town has a large Polish community, I still can't follow the conversation, and have to rely solely on the subtitles. BTW, I'm not just talking about recent immigration either, Polish came to work in the local coal mine and cotton mill, both of which shut back in the late 50's/early 60's, so we're talking at least 3 generations here.

My fave male voice is Ye Xiu's, and my fave female voice is Tang Rou's, though I quite like Chen Gou's too, especially when she's arguing with Ye Xiu... I really like a woman who can trash talk, and has some fire in her belly!!
ladyflame_ukJul 10, 2017 2:55 AM
By Cara (aka) Lady Flame
HOT by name, HOT by nature.
Jul 11, 2017 4:56 PM
Nov 2015
When a friend of mine who's a Chinese heritage speaker but who's not too fluent in Chinese watched it, she found it weird at first because she's so used to Japanese coming from this type of art style (aka anime). Can't say I blame her though, it's very unexpected and strange. That doesn't necessarily make it bad

As someone who's speaks Chinese, I really enjoy the voice acting in King's Avatar, I find it to be pretty high in quality compared to some of the other Chinese animations (especially the ones that specifically are aimed at kids, they tend to more exaggerated, more emotive). To me, maybe it's because I understand the language, it's easy for me to hear the emotions and the acting in what they are saying. I can't speak from a non-Chinese speaker's perspective what the tones in Chinese sound like to them but I imagine it would be harder to hear the pitch differences marking emotions when one is not use to a tonal language.

Ye Xiu's VA really captured his laid back but very assured attitude. Ye Xiu speaks with a more northern accent (which, spoiler alert, he's actually from Beijing hence it makes sense his accent marks him as someone from the north, especially compared to everyone around him who's from Hangzhou, a southern city). Yu Wenzhou sounds a lot more refined as befitting his character and there are certain words he says that drops the rhoticization found in sh, zh, and ch, markings him from the southern regions (their team is based in Guangzhou I think? But his accent doesn't have much very Cantonese influences, just general south). Huang Shaotian's speech is also very interesting (though hard to place his accent, more a generalized southern accent? Bad accent?? With a lisp???) and I'm sure most everyone can hear his personality in the way he speaks. And Chen Guo, who has a more fiery in your face type of personality, speaks more emotively than both Ye Xiu and Tang Rou, her voicing is definitely more exaggerated and it shows.

Of course, these info are available to me because I speak the language, I understand it, I'm use to it. It's actually amazing how much information gets dropped from their voices along. This is something I never got watching Japanese anime bc, surprise surprise, I don't speak the language. But bc I'm use to watching Japanese anime, i have a much better grasp of the acting in Japanese.

So basically, all I'm saying is, it's something new and strange. It doesn't mean it's bad. To drop it bc of the language alone, then you've missed out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 20, 2017 3:28 PM
Jan 2015
Don't worry dude. I with you on this one. I absolutely cannot stand Chinese at all, the language itself is extremely unpleasant. they speak extremely fast and the language itself feels like theres no emotion. even Cantonese is better than Mandarian tbh since it sounds more Japanese

Such good quality anime is wasted because of its language.

I don't understand why the Chinese didnt hire the Japanese for voice acting, like the ones they did for Bloodvores whatever its called and many others.

and its plain bad, the plot feels like it SAO all over again except its a mature dude with a spear

this is one of the very reason why i rate the show for 2
Aug 5, 2017 2:39 PM
Jan 2015
larsisten said:

You don't like it because of the....language? I don't see how they are speaking fast at all. And saying that Cantonese is better because it sounds more like Japanese? So is Japanese suddenly the best language? :(

Japanese has the best language in the world yes. its pleasant and polite. Chinese is arrogant, rude and loud. simple as that
Aug 6, 2017 5:36 PM
Apr 2017
KanSamurai said:

Japanese has the best language in the world yes. its pleasant and polite. Chinese is arrogant, rude and loud. simple as that

Tough luck, weeabo. There's going to be a lot more Chinese animation in the future. Get used to it.

fireTricksterAug 7, 2017 9:51 AM
Sep 3, 2017 11:45 AM
Jul 2017
How can a language be arrogant rude and loud. I can say rude or polite things in different languages, doesn't make the languages themselves rude or polite.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

NettoAzure - Apr 6, 2017

225 by Rineczka »»
Jan 11, 12:47 PM

» Will The King's Avatar get an English dub?

awesomeblackman - Oct 30, 2018

8 by egosumjohn »»
Nov 3, 2023 7:48 AM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

bubbletea - Apr 28, 2017

82 by AshleyHawk1 »»
Dec 18, 2022 6:08 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Lambdaa- - Apr 7, 2017

163 by Nat_V »»
Oct 13, 2022 11:53 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

eplipswich - Jun 15, 2017

148 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 18, 2022 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.