Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (21) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 8, 2010 1:40 AM

Apr 2007
I know New Fist of the North Star was licensed (one of my mates has the DVDs), but I have no clue where that lies in continuity.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
Jun 8, 2010 5:36 AM

Apr 2008
A friend of mine imported the DVDs all from the US, I didn't knew it was discontinued. Hope they end it this time.
Jun 8, 2010 6:19 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah I'd hate to see another Cat's Eye situation, but I guess on the other hand at least HnK DOES have complete subs out there anyways if all else fails.
Jun 8, 2010 8:22 AM

May 2010
I'm currently watching Mobile Suit Gundam, Char and Sayla are two of my favorite characters of the series.
Jun 8, 2010 8:43 AM

Apr 2008
They were mine too. Such strong characters.
Jun 8, 2010 10:59 AM

Oct 2009
Today, I finally started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The first six episodes were already great so I can't wait how epic LOGH turns out.

And I too liked Char and Sayla. Char was interesting and impressive and Sayla was just plain hot. Eheh...
Jun 8, 2010 12:46 PM

May 2010
I recently finished up Uchuu Senkan Yamato, I liked the series, the ending brought tears to my eyes. I plan to watch the second series of Yamato.
Jun 9, 2010 8:35 AM

Aug 2007
I've been watching the Tenchi Muyo! OVA's for the past few days. And I must say how impressed I turned out to be with them, for a 'harem' comedy it was genuinely funny and entertaining. Just about done with OVA 2.

I'm also trying to chug through Urusei Yatsura(All 195 episodes), it's going to be a challenge, but I'm on episode 35 and it's a great show. Even though it has the running gags and slapstick comedy, it also had a pretty mature sense of humor for an animated series that came out in the early 80's.

UY is definitely something special.

Jun 9, 2010 1:29 PM

Apr 2009
the last is ( Please Save My Earth-ova-) , it is from the early 90's but the manga is from the 80's.
and i recommend you to read the manga , its a masterpiece :)
Jun 9, 2010 7:14 PM

Feb 2008
I really liked Sayla a lot myself. This isn't really anything major at all, but I'll spoiler it anyways:
Jun 10, 2010 2:48 AM

Apr 2008
Mendou said:
I've been watching the Tenchi Muyo! OVA's for the past few days. And I must say how impressed I turned out to be with them, for a 'harem' comedy it was genuinely funny and entertaining. Just about done with OVA 2.
I've been wanting to check Muyo for almost ten years now, but never got started.

Mendou said:
UY is definitely something special.

Great words here. ;)

Mokuren_ said:
the last is ( Please Save My Earth-ova-) , it is from the early 90's but the manga is from the 80's.
and i recommend you to read the manga , its a masterpiece :)
I always read great things about this one, I have the OVAs in my HDD ready for action too. And reading it's name raises a special feeling isn't it?

Echelon said:
I really liked Sayla a lot myself. This isn't really anything major at all, but I'll spoiler it anyways:

Good thing you brought that up Echelon.
Jun 10, 2010 11:27 AM

May 2010
Echelon said:

I too feel the same way you do in regards to the lack of Sayla in the series from Zeta up until Char's Counterattack, I was rather disappointed she was never in CCA.
Jun 10, 2010 1:30 PM

Apr 2007
Apparently she wasn't in Zeta much due to her voice actress being unavailable.
Jun 10, 2010 2:56 PM

Feb 2008
That's what I mentioned above. :P ... must have been a bigger deal about replacing VA's back then or something.

Char's Counterattack could've used Kamille as well. He more than likely could've played a really dynamic middle man between Char and Amuro, since he was more friends with Char-errr Quatro I could see him leaning more towards his side at first, but then he'd probably realize he's gone senile and probably wouldn't have had a problem dealing with it or trying to stop Amuro and Char's rivalry. That said I still loved CCA for what it was, I see tons and tons of threads on /m/ all the time about how people hate it... I guess it really could have been blatantly called something like "Amuro vs Char: Final Fight", but that wouldn't change my love for it. Heh.

People can say what they will about Kamille, but I think I prefer him over Amuro. lol...

Rob! How can you not like Haman! Haha.
EchelonJun 10, 2010 2:59 PM
Jun 10, 2010 3:14 PM

Apr 2009
Echelon said:

Char's Counterattack could've used Kamille as well. He more than likely could've played a really dynamic middle man between Char and Amuro, since he was more friends with Char-errr Quatro

that would be great , i was dissapointed becuse kamille didnt appear in CCA .
anyway, I'm from the people who hate CCA .
they destroy the beautiful image of char >:(
Celeb17_Jun 10, 2010 3:17 PM
Jun 10, 2010 4:00 PM

May 2010
A few things I didn't like about CCA was that little brat named Quess Paraya, I see her as like SEED's Flay Allster, sure Char may have manipulated her, but I still didn't like her. Also putting Amuro up with another woman, I preferred Beltorchika over Chan. Also, having the whole Lalah-thing resurface, and leading up to a confrontation between Char and Amuro where Amuro pushed Char off his horse in that one scene and the two threw punches at each other, that scene showed the lack of their maturity as grown men. Having Kamille in the film would've been a great addition.
Jun 10, 2010 5:31 PM

Feb 2008
All great valid points there, really. Though personally for some reason, I didn't have a problem with Quess that much at all. I hated the scenes and interactions between her and Char (I mean it really enforces the pedo-Char jokes) but beyond that, I had heard so many bad things about her... but I don't remember being too bothered by it. I think I was just caught up with everything else though and just didn't think much of it.

Maybe it's because I watched CCA directly after ZZ and maybe still had some of those bad characters in my mind, haha. I absolutely hated Beecha and Mondo (think that's what their names were? They're not even in the characters list...) ... ahh ZZ, I liked Elle and Roux quite a bit, probably moreso than Judau at times. But sadly they got no "real" major development or anything.

The Lalah thing resurfacing did kind of annoy me too. I didn't even care for that stuff much in the original, but again I've only seen the movies, maybe this stuff was better handled in the series? But yeah, it was such a huge thing between Char and Amuro but it's just weird... did they just forget about her during Zeta?

In the end though, yeah. CCA has problems but I kind of just look at it as the final fight between the two characters and I think if you don't analyze it much beyond that, it's good stuff. Kind of felt like Luke vs Darth Vader all over again to me or something.

Anyways this is pretty off topic... maybe we should make a general Gundam topic or something, lol.
Jun 10, 2010 6:34 PM

Apr 2008
Yeah, a UC Gundam topic or just old school topic should attract a lot of discussion.

Just watched Nineteen 19

Great romantic anime from 1990 we got here. The style of the art depicted exactly the fashion that was going on that era along with the music. I still remember that my folks used to force me wearing all that baggy clothing as they used on the anime, I wasn’t old enough then to choose on my own what to wear by myself at the time so that part wasn’t a very good memory, but I remember wearing that fashionable air cut of the time, like Shwarzenneger in the Predator movie, man I was a stylish kid. Anyway, sorry about that.
This OVA covered pretty well the feeling of the turning of the decade.

The story itself was a romantic seinen, with some touches from Maison Ikkoku if I’m allowed to even compare such good works. You get the young man out of highschool, still not experienced in life and romance and the experienced girl that is trying to forget her last boyfriend. You have more MI comparable scenes there, but I’m not going to spoil the OVA, but comparing the OVA to MI is taking it’s own merit, the story had it’s very own identity and the comparisons to MI shouldn’t be taken that seriously.

The story evolved in a very good manner and fitted well it’s 40 minutes. The animation used was pretty consistent too, but I wish to see a DVD rip someday as some scenes are lost in the VHS rips.

A solid 8/10 from me.

Ah! And the character design reminded me on some scenes of the one used on Satoshi Kon works too.

Recommendations in the same department should be Bobby's In Deep and TO-Y.
Jun 10, 2010 7:05 PM

Nov 2007
RobdeFR said:
Bobby's In Deep

HA!

Jun 10, 2010 10:51 PM

Feb 2008
So, I hate to bring up the incredibly epic MD Geist again, but which version did you guys watch? I noticed that the two different versions have lots of different voice actors and apparently different music?

Pretty sure I saw the Director's Cut, Geist wasn't voiced by Wakamoto. I actually liked the guy that voiced him a lot though, I seriously thought it was Kamiya throughout the whole thing until I finished it and looked it up. He definitely sounded a lot like Kenshiro to me.

Weird though, the guy, Kazuhiro Nakata doesn't seem to do much at all.
Jun 11, 2010 1:58 AM

Apr 2008
I also have watched that Director's cut version, I don't remember the fansub.
RobdeFRJul 27, 2010 1:46 PM
Jun 11, 2010 2:02 AM

Apr 2008
HisokaHajime said:
RobdeFR said:
Bobby's In Deep

HA!

Hehe, I understand your feelings on it. I remember reading ANNs article on it and trying to search for it, but at the time it wasn't available yet.
RobdeFRJun 11, 2010 5:51 AM
Jun 11, 2010 2:35 PM

Feb 2010
I've finished Ideon the series and watched the 2 movies. I'd say that the series although it started irritating me a lot at the first half I kind of liked it afterwards when the story began to have a better flow. The 1st movie is a summary of the series and it's OK to see if you don't want to se the whole 39 episodes. What was really excellent was the 2nd movie and I'm glad that I've watched it. The graphics and the animation were far more better, the sound was great and I liked the conclusion to the Ideon story. Maybe if the whole series was like that we would now speak of a diamond! Oh, and now I kind of understand the nickname "kill 'em all Tomino"..... Lol.....
Jun 11, 2010 4:01 PM

Dec 2009
I just rewatched Do You Remember Love for about the 4th or 5th time, this time showing a friend who'd thoroughly enjoyed LoGH and Macross Plus.

It really is a movie which holds up to repeated viewings - the final battle, with the wonderful song playing, is still one of the most awesome moments in animation.
Jun 11, 2010 8:13 PM

Apr 2008
Anakin1981 said:
Oh, and now I kind of understand the nickname "kill 'em all Tomino"..... Lol.....

You got it right Anakin.

MS06FZ said:
is still one of the most awesome moments in animation.

Man, It reminds me that I haven't rewatched that movie in four years or so.
RobdeFRJun 12, 2010 10:25 AM
Jun 12, 2010 9:31 AM

Apr 2009
I just finished :

The Hakkenden : 8\10
from the first episode i feel excited . great anime .
better that shin hakkenden.

Call Me Tonight : 6\10

Good Morning Althea : 6\10

RobdeFR said:
I always read great things about this one, I have the OVAs in my HDD ready for action too. And reading it's name raises a special feeling isn't it?

sorry didn't notice your reply .
yes it has special feelings :)
but be sure to read the manga after the ove becuse the good part starting after the end of the ova :)
Celeb17_Jun 12, 2010 9:34 AM
Jun 12, 2010 8:52 PM

Feb 2008
Well there was obviously no way I could contain myself, now that Shining Heresy is all finished with subs I watched all of it today. Excellent stuff, it's Votoms so I couldn't help but love it, though it does leave a little bit to be desired (heard it got cut short a bit) and it was quite depressing in the end. I hope the new OVA's succeed a bit more and aren't given the short end of the stick or anything, looking forward to those now... if anyone subs them. :(

Oh and also ... why the hell is it called "The Defrost" now here on MAL? I've often seen it called the Brilliant Heretic, or most Shining Heresy, but... The Defrost? I doubt people are gonna recognize that one as much... should definitely be changed back.
Jun 13, 2010 12:30 AM

Apr 2007
Hmm, I'm sure I saw it called Shining Heresy only a few days ago.
Jun 14, 2010 10:05 PM

Feb 2008
Finished up some stuff today.

Dirty Pair OVA - I stalled on episode 5 sometime awhile back but picked it up again recently, and I was enjoying it a lot more this time around for some odd reason. The last 3 episodes were especially really good in my book. I still feel like if the show were in the hands of say, someone like the City Hunter director or something (Dirty Pair feels like City Hunter Lite to me a bit), it probably could've been a lot more. Definitely had more potential, but it was fun stuff anyways. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Iczer - Well I didn't really care for this one at all to be honest, out of all the OVA's I've been watching recently this is probably my least favorite. The music was probably the only thing I consistently liked. I think it would've been a lot cooler without the silly horror elements, and was more sci-fi/drama.

Maison Desert Island / Prelude - Randomly watched these two OVA's... I think starting KOR got me in the mood for more Maison, lol. They were pretty good, not much else to say though. If you like Maison you'll dig it.
Jun 15, 2010 12:21 PM

May 2010
I'm now watching Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2, it's doing alright for a sequel series.
Jun 18, 2010 10:43 AM

Feb 2010
I just watched Nana Toshi Monogatari and it's really a shame that's a 2 episode OVA only..... I hope there was more!
Jun 19, 2010 10:40 AM

Apr 2008
Echelon said:

Oh and also ... why the hell is it called "The Defrost" now here on MAL? I've often seen it called the Brilliant Heretic, or most Shining Heresy, but... The Defrost? I doubt people are gonna recognize that one as much... should definitely be changed back.

Finished This Votoms OVA too. I've often seen it as Brilliant Herectic in the past, Bro-Lords released it as Shining Heresy, which is the right translation from the original. But why the hell is The Defrost on MAL??

Anyway. It was an interesting followup to the original series, though I found the religious/ half political crap to be quite inconsistent of a plot and their motives toward Chirico quite obscure too.
The end made for it.

7/10

Now I'm off to Pailsen Files.

Recently I also watched;

Space family Carlvinson
Pretty laid back sci fi comedy OVA from that rich anime period. I liked it.
7/10

Domain of Murder
Detective anime from Tezuka Productions. The story was somewhat consistent and managed to grab me through most of it.
6/10

Karura Mau Movie
High school Ghost horror stuff here. I wished for a more fulfilled ending but we can never have everything can we? The ghosts were cool enough. Maybe I'll see the OVA series someday.
6/10

Anakin1981 said:
I just watched Nana Toshi Monogatari and it's really a shame that's a 2 episode OVA only..... I hope there was more!

I have this one on my HDD. I'll try to watch it in this following week.
RobdeFRJun 19, 2010 10:44 AM
Jun 29, 2010 3:33 AM

Sep 2009
Hmn, B't X and it's sequel, B't X Neo. Not so popular anime, but actually quite good!
Jul 13, 2010 7:19 AM

May 2010
I recently finished watching Mei Oh Project Zeorymer, pretty good anime with awesome mecha action,
and Rhea Gall Force and Gall Force Earth Chapter, I enjoyed it and the story, characters, and action was great. I love a number of AIC's old school titles, especially with the cool sci-fi/mecha/cyberpunk anime they've produced.

I'm also watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I like the series, what I like so far is the depth of the story and the voice acting of the characters, especially Ryo Horikawa and Kei Tomiyama's performances.
Jul 21, 2010 1:46 PM

Dec 2009
kanon-chan said:
I recently finished watching Mei Oh Project Zeorymer, pretty good anime with awesome mecha action,
and Rhea Gall Force and Gall Force Earth Chapter, I enjoyed it and the story, characters, and action was great. I love a number of AIC's old school titles, especially with the cool sci-fi/mecha/cyberpunk anime they've produced.

I'm also watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I like the series, what I like so far is the depth of the story and the voice acting of the characters, especially Ryo Horikawa and Kei Tomiyama's performances.

Zeorymer's abrupt ending is pretty amusing really, it's a nice anticlimax that's pretty fitting for the plot.

The last oldschool things I watched were Mozaika and the Baldios movie. Both were absolutely brilliant - Baldios was a pretty hardcore super robot show in the same way as Zambot 3 was, and Aphrodia and Gattler were great antagonists.
Jul 23, 2010 8:13 AM

May 2010
I while back I completed the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, it was alright, I liked Amuro, Sayla, Bright, Char, and Garma as my top 5 favorite characters.

I also watched Gall Force:Eternal Story and Destruction, I liked the female protagonists. Eternal Story
. Rabby, Lufy, Eluza, Shildy, and Rumy are my favorite characters of the first 3 of the series and Sandy, Score, Melody, Fortin, and Bauer are my favorite characters from the Rhea/Earth Chapter series. Gall Force has become another favorite anime series of mine.

--------
Edited you post for the spoiler.
Regards,
Rob.
RobdeFRJul 23, 2010 10:36 PM
Jul 25, 2010 8:56 PM

Jun 2009
I'm looking for those anime that aired at the same year as, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Fin.. I will take recommendation and (link =)) tnx
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Jul 26, 2010 9:13 PM

Aug 2007
Looks like there's some VOTOMS being mentioned recently.

I've started watching the tv series for the first time, will have to check out the several other OVA's.

Also Slow Step, an Adachi series.

Jul 27, 2010 6:47 AM

Jul 2007
I've just started watching the Chassern : Robot Hunter OVA, and I have to say - I really like it so far. It's alot different to the reboot Casshern Sins, but to be honest - I think I sort of prefer the older one although saying that, I should probably finish the reboot before making a final judgement on preference.

I sort of wish the original 1970's series was subbed though. I've managed to find torrents & streams of it in raw however. :( I just wish it would be picked up by a group. Maybe one day we'll get lucky.

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
Jul 27, 2010 8:25 AM

Apr 2008
From what I could gather, the Cashan OVA was closer to the original TV series than this new remake.
Jul 30, 2010 7:33 AM

May 2010
An update from my last post, I watched Gall Force 2: Destruction and Gall Force 3: Stardust War. After seeing the two sets of the Gall Force anime series(Eternal Story/Destruction/Stardust War and Rhea/Earth Chapter), I found Gall Force to be quite an awesome, well told sci-fi series. I really enjoy anime with strong, admirable, and well grounded female protagonists and Gall Force certainly had a lot of them. I've come to really admire the female protagonists that came from 80's era anime.

Also I have watched Iczer-One, this was my second anime I watched with girl-on-girl stuff(Miyuki-chan in Wonderland being my first), I liked the action of the series and the animation by Toshihiro Hirano, I like his animation style a lot and he ranks up there as one of my favorite old-school character designers. I also enjoyed the relationship between Iczer-One and Nagisa
Aug 4, 2010 3:26 PM

Apr 2007
Finished up 2 series today: Da Garn and Knight Ramune & 40.

Da Garn managed to be quite good, I could see a lot of plot elements that ended up in Gaogaigar, the Brave series closest in theme to it, to the point it was almost drinking game level for a few eps. Although I could see how the plot driveness of it would annoy the toy makers, it wasn't uncommon for an episode to lack transforming footage or special final attacks. Also the ending was ;_;.

Knight Ramune & 40 was very much a wacky kids show with the odd subversive element or two. Main issue I had with it was the last third of the series was a lot more formulaic that the first two thirds. I was mostly watching it for the rival character, Da Cider, and his crew by that point, they were more interesting than the main characters. That and it's rare to see a mech with a halberd as opposed to a big sword.
Aug 4, 2010 6:40 PM

Apr 2008
Good to know about those series. It's quite unknown territory to me, though Knight Ramune sounds like the idea I was making of it to be.
Aug 8, 2010 6:34 AM

May 2010
I finished up watching Super Dimensional Cavlary Southern Cross in its' original version, I first was exposed to it through the Robotech version, so I decided to watch how Southern Cross was originally and just like with how I prefer the original SDF Macross, I prefer the original Southern Cross, especially considering the plot and story of both versions. Now I'm planning to watch the original Mospeada.

I am totally in love with LOGH; the storyline, the characters, the political intrigue, and the space battles are amazing. I'm currently up to 18/110 in the episodes and I've also completed the prequel OVA film Overture to a New War, which was a good chapter to add to the LOGH saga as we see more of Jessica Edwards' fiance, Jean Robert Lapp. Reinhard and Kircheis are so awesome together. LOGH has now become my top favorite anime.
kanon-chanAug 9, 2010 9:05 AM
Aug 9, 2010 10:58 AM

Oct 2009
And so, on August 9th 2010 of the Gregorian calendar, GoldenBoy55 finished watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

A series everyone called epic, turned out to be epic. Even if some say it's overrated, LOGH is a great series and an unforgettable experience. The 3rd and 4th seasons make up for what the 1st and 2nd lack in makings of a masterpiece. And yet, the first two seasons were still both interesting to watch and a story as epic as LOGH needs to have a good, comprehensive foundation.

Even though I knew it might come to that,

Overall, LOGH lives up to its reputation as one of the best anime ever. I'm already wanting to rewatch it, but now I think I'll focus on Ashita no Joe, Maison Ikkoku and Zeta Gundam, which are still underway.
Aug 9, 2010 11:23 AM

Apr 2008
Coo, to read your words on LOGH. It pretty sums up what most of us thought abut it too.
Aug 10, 2010 11:31 AM

Feb 2008
Man I really need to get to Gall Force someday, does sound like a pretty good series from all the recommendations it gets.

I watched the short Dragon's Heaven yesterday which was fairly nice, but I'm not even sure if I want to rate it because of how short and odd it was. The art was very sketchy with lots of blacks, though not a lot of shading, it was pretty unique. Excellent music. Not bad, probably would've made for a cool series.

Started up Dangaioh ... KNUCKLE BUSTER! (I think that was one attack, haha). So far I'm really digging it. Everything about it feels a lot like Iczer, but without the silly horror stuff, so I think I'll like this one a good bit more.

Also after finding a HQ version of it I finally watched Harlock Mystery of the Arcadia. It was pretty interesting, but overall just felt like a lost episode or something, which isn't a bad thing. Good to see those characters again after it's been awhile.
Aug 11, 2010 5:33 PM

Apr 2008
Gall Force is a nice set of movies, but that's it. Not a big recommendation on my side. I'm surprised myself to see that a lot of folks have been into it lately.

That Harlock movie is set in between episode 13 and 14. It was probably a TV special that later was renamed as a movie or something. Still awesome as always. It's Harlock afterall.
Aug 22, 2010 6:31 PM

Feb 2008
I have finally conquered Space Battleship Yamato... well, the first season! I didn't have any major problem with it, it was just nothing I felt like I could marathon and I got busier with other shows I guess. But I finally picked up the last 8 or so episodes recently and the last stretch definitely took things up a notch. There was a little twist at the end that I really liked and it just really wrapped up nicely. Looking forward to season 2!

Also wrapped up Dangaioh. This 3 episode OVA felt like I watched 1 episode of a series, then episode 10, then episode 20. Haha. Not bad though, I enjoyed it a lot more than Iczer One and some others, but it definitely felt like it could have been more if it were a real series. Guess you can say that for a lot of OVA's though.

Also got back into Orguss. With these and others out of the way now hopefully I can focus more on that one and watch more.
Aug 29, 2010 3:32 PM

May 2010
I have completed watching Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and I liked it, the series certainly outdid the first Gundam with the depth of the story and the events surrounding the characters. So overall, I was impressed with Zeta. So, after watching Zeta, I'll be moving forward with ZZ Gundam.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (21) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2253 by JohnnyChuck »»
Apr 21, 8:08 AM

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Apr 18, 8:46 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.